Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kuai posted:

Has anyone tried any of the Cave plethora shooters? I am really itching to try one but would really like to get an honest opinion on them.

I'm a super casual shmup player and I like every one I've played. I'd suggest getting the recent one that was made specifically for iOS. Dodonpachi Maximum I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Ghost Trick actually just updated with a new mini game added, I haven't actually gone through with the update yet though. Was that in the original version?

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
I sound like a drat broken record but still don't know which version of TWEWY to go for. I know 90% of this thread has played the game, but has anyone sampled it on both platforms? You'd think a quick Google search would show some comparison...

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
I think the OP is really good, and I thank him for taking the time.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I don't know why I did it, but I started playing Farmville Fighters Clash of Clans.

I refuse to spend any real money on it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Duranki posted:

I sound like a drat broken record but still don't know which version of TWEWY to go for. I know 90% of this thread has played the game, but has anyone sampled it on both platforms? You'd think a quick Google search would show some comparison...

Get it for whichever device has two and a half gigabytes of space.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

psylent posted:

I don't know why I did it, but I started playing Farmville Fighters Clash of Clans.

I refuse to spend any real money on it.

Ive started that too. Things start to get super grindy once your buildings are level 4+

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Duranki posted:

Who do you think has played both versions? It's one of the most expensive games on the App Store in the first place and buying twice just to compare versions is probably not worth it.

I have only played it on the iPhone, I feel like playing on the iPad your fingers are probably somewhat less in the way, but other than that...

iPad mini is probably the sweet spot?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Superschaf posted:

iPad mini is probably the sweet spot?

The iPad Mini is always the sweet spot. God drat, I need to restate it for the new thread, but the mini is just about the perfect games device. Big enough to handle iPad games, small enough to tilt and swipe around like a phone.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The ipad mini's resolution being 1024 × 768 (compared to the 4S' 960 × 640 or 5's 1,136 x 640) is what keeps me from even considering it.

The size factor is cool, but its hardware blows considering that the ipad 3 (released in March 2012) displayed 2,048 × 1,536. The 3 isn't even the current model!

The entire mini feels like a lame iterative approach (opposed to Apple's usual awesome iterative approach, mind you) where next holiday season there will be a Mini 2 with some really obvious tech that the 1 should have had inside of it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

DNK posted:

The ipad mini's resolution being 1024 × 768 (compared to the 4S' 960 × 640 or 5's 1,136 x 640) is what keeps me from even considering it.

The size factor is cool, but its hardware blows considering that the ipad 3 (released in March 2012) displayed 2,048 × 1,536. The 3 isn't even the current model!

The entire mini feels like a lame iterative approach (opposed to Apple's usual awesome iterative approach, mind you) where next holiday season there will be a Mini 2 with some really obvious tech that the 1 should have had inside of it.

The iPad 2 and mini screen still look great imo, better than most computer screens anyway.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It's a shame the ipod 5 can't run ipad games because it's sleek as gently caress. It feels loving amazing in your hands (cause it's so thin), fast, looks as crisp as it can be and the new metallic back is super neat. As someone who upgraded from a 4g, it is like night and day.

The only complaint I would have is that they only had pink at the store but who cares.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
For what it's worth, I played TWEWY on the iPad, and I never felt like the iPad was too big for it or had any trouble with anything. Shaking an iPad is a little more annoying than shaking an iPhone, but it never seemed like too big a deal. Personally, I figured if I was buying a game that was $18 at the time, I might as well have the bigger screen. I think what it ends up as is both versions play great, so it's really just a matter of your preference.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Holy poo poo I got an iPhone 5 the other day and gaming on it is so much better than on my old 4. Vice City and NFS Most Wanted look and run amazing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've been playing an iPad rhythm game called Symphonica lately. The concept is pretty sweet: You play a conductor, and all the songs are famous classical pieces. You play it by tapping, swiping and sliding in time with the notes on the screen. It's all pretty intuitive.

It even comes with a story mode, which is :words: about this conductor kid Takt who comes the big city looking for his conductor brother and the only way to do that is to conduct his orchestra to victory in a conduct-off. It's a Square-Enix game. This is also the way you unlock the first half of the songs. You can also unlock harder versions of the songs by ranking S or above in them. The rest of the songs you unlock by getting fame points in songs by ranking as high as you can. Once you level up, ta-dah, new song.

All in all, it's a pretty chill game. The difficulty curve starts out piss-easy, but rises gently until- gently caress YOU, William Tell Overture, gently caress you! I need those points to unlock that last loving song! And gently caress you too, España, and your stupid-rear end tempo changes! Why do I suck so hard?

You can play the first couple of songs for free, but the rest require purchase. It's a bit on the expensive side, but I think it was worth it.

Edit: gently caress youuuuuu, William Tell Overture! Why do I even play this game?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 31, 2012

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I thought I had read that Ghost Trick was free, but having saved the dog, I now find that I have to spend $10-$15 to unlock the rest of the game. Did I just misread, and if so, is it worth the money to unlock the rest of the chapters?

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Bummey posted:

I hit a wall in KoP&P due to bugs. The story quest wants me to kill 6 Trap Somethings, but missingno (my nemesis!) is in its place in the monster list. Also that dock that's supposed to take 89 days to complete? I hope that's 89 in-game days, but I can't go back and check because, while there is a lighted up dotted line leading to it, the Travel button doesn't work. Oh well. Video games.

That quest is bugged but it's not a story quest and doesn't unlock anything, just abandon it and move on. Also that dock is the countdown for the next expansion, it's real days.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Klungar posted:

I thought I had read that Ghost Trick was free, but having saved the dog, I now find that I have to spend $10-$15 to unlock the rest of the game. Did I just misread, and if so, is it worth the money to unlock the rest of the chapters?

The initial chapter is free. If you enjoyed it then buy the rest. Its less hand holdy since the initial chapter is mostly tutorial.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Worth noting that this (and other Squeenix apps) is on sale right now. $12.99, down from $17.99.

Well, so much for caring about Mingle PP. Thanks for the heads up.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Siivola posted:

:words: Symphonica :words:

Added to my 'Play Later' list, thanks for the suggestion.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Klungar posted:

A million times yes. It's one of the best games on iOS. Don't let the price put you off, it has a quality to match. Half the price of the DS original, but looks twice as good. It's a goddamn bargain.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Boxman posted:

Well, so much for caring about Mingle PP. Thanks for the heads up.

The latest update allows you to play practice Tin Pin against the AI for MPP. The returns are in the 15-20 range, but the way the game weights different PP still means you only need a few rounds for most pins.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Rayman Jungle Run (US) Codes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Voodoo posted:

Took third one from bottom on right. Thanks so much for your goonerosity!

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Lurked the last thread for quite awhile for the past year and have countless recommendations because of it. But to compile my own list I've gotten it down to my three must-haves (I use both an iPad 2 and iPhone 4S):

Super Hexagon - This is the best time waster on iOS. You can play it in small amounts since the games only last typically under a minute or so. I always come back to this when I'm in line somewhere or waiting.

Letterpress - Fantastic use of strategy and word game. If you can find someone to play you at a constant rate (and won't cheat) this game really is one of the best games for iOS.

The Walking Dead - I really wanted to hate this game. The over saturation of zombie games / movies / comics / etc. have really ruined the entire premise for me. Also counting that I'm not a big fan of the show or the comic, this was probably a game not meant for me. I took a look at it because of the previous threads high remarks and I'm incredibly glad I did. Game of the year material, and it really felt like I was playing something impactful. Buy this game.

There are plenty of other fantastic options, but these three have me coming back for more since they've been released. Fantastic thread and thanks for all the goon recommendations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
drat it Plague Inc, I've lost three games because my highly infectious disease couldn't infect everyone. Now I tried full stealth and couldn't get lethal enough despite infecting 95% of the world.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Voodoo posted:

Grabbed the one beginning with "RE7". Thanks! :)

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Voodoo posted:

Snatched the last one, thanks!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Voodoo posted:

A9AAEJ taken here, thanks

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.

Voodoo posted:

Took M4LKN, thanks much.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Voodoo posted:

Took the one that started 3EHK. Thanks!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Voodoo posted:

I grabbed the PT code, cheers dude.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Voodoo posted:

Grabbed LLTA97etc. Thanks!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for N6W

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Thanks! Used the 49trr code

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Wanted to thank whoever recommend Hunters 2 in the last thread. The game looks absolutely gorgeous on the iPad 4 and is a great turn-based tactical game.

mightychode
Feb 6, 2004
used last one on the left, thanks a ton

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Zynga pulled some games out of the app store today:

Mafia Wars Shakedown
Forestville
Mojitomo
Word Scramble Challenge

What was Word Scramble Challenge? A sync version of Word Scramble?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

VideoGameVet posted:

Zynga pulled some games out of the app store today:

Mafia Wars Shakedown
Forestville
Mojitomo
Word Scramble Challenge

What was Word Scramble Challenge? A sync version of Word Scramble?

Was really hoping they'd pull down Dream Heights so we could get some extra press out of it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Klungar posted:

If you can get past the excitable Japanese presentation I think the story is one of the best in any videogame. Every chapter has me going "OH WHAT THE gently caress" at something.

• Locked thread