Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Eezee posted:

Please don't spoil Steins;Gate. There's an LP of that going on right now and I know that several people read both threads.
I'll keep that in mind, though my previous post hardly spoils anything. I edited that out just to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'll just remove this then.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 31, 2012

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

SingerOfW posted:

I'll keep that in mind, though my previous post hardly spoils anything. I edited that out just to be safe.

I couldn't read it anyway, just wanted to be safe before anyone asks :D

Now that we know all the characters the only one that seems even halfway normal is the Photographer. I hope we get some more free time events with everybody before people will inevitably start dying.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
(Removed)

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 31, 2012

Revolver Lolcat
Aug 9, 2012
I like how everyone is giving their worried or desperate face, while Chiaki is just stoning.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It was like this at the start of DR1 too - when you have 16 new characters introduced in rapid succession, most with non-English (and therefore not as memorable/distinct for English speakers) names, the names tend to blur together a little bit even if the characters are very, very different from each other. Give it another handful of updates and it should be easier to remember who's who.

It also probably doesn't help that the thread will alternately call people by their surname or first name or another (nick)name entirely, depending on whim. :)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Revolver Lolcat posted:

I like how everyone is giving their worried or desperate face, while Chiaki is just stoning.

Nagito stands out to me as well. He looks more intrigued than anything.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

This last couple of posts is exactly the kind of bullshit that is the reason for the NO FOUND FANART WITHOUT EMAILING ME clause of the OP.

Please don't do it again. Next time it will be me who's pushing the report button.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

This last couple of posts is exactly the kind of bullshit that is the reason for the NO FOUND FANART WITHOUT EMAILING ME clause of the OP.

Please don't do it again. Next time it will be me who's pushing the report button.
If you're talking about the Togami fan art, I did send it to you, and you only said that you wouldn't want it to be posted till the introductions are over.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SingerOfW posted:

If you're talking about the Togami fan art, I did send it to you, and you only said that you wouldn't want it to be posted till the introductions are over.

I'm pretty sure he means the one that was, y'know, just posted.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Kanfy posted:

That's fan art? I figured it was an official wallpaper or something.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Okay, it's just that I personally don't find the last couple of posts that bad.

[/derail]

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

No, yours were sent and approved (though apparently in danger of being horribly misunderstood), thank you. I was talking about the more recent one.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

DaveWoo posted:

Hair color, skin color, general body type, SHSL athletic skills, have trouble remembering names... come on, the writers aren't exactly being subtle here.

Her hair reminds me more of Hagakure's than Asahina's, she's noticeably taller and heavier than Asahina, and the rest of the similarities are too superficial to be anything other than coincidence. Asahina's trouble remembering names isn't exactly the most memorable trait of hers - I had to go back to confirm it even happened. If anything, Owari being scatterbrained is much more reminiscent of, again, Hagakrue. Not only that, but the 16cm difference in height isn't something that could be explained away by a time skip (there was already a two year time skip in the first game,) and their eyes aren't even remotely the same colour.

Look, this isn't like Fatogami. Fatogami has the exact same name as Original Recipe Togami, and even the exact same poses and character art (plus a hundred pounds or so.) And even then, it's still suspicious, just less likely to be a coincidence. With Owari it feels like everyone thought "hey she's got a tan and big boobs, she must secretly be Asahina" and I just don't see any similarities beyond those to be expected between two anime-style characters with similar character concepts designed by the same guy.

Though the fact that I can draw parallels between Owari and, like, half the cast of the original game is in and of itself kind of suspicious. If anyone besides Fatogami is going to turn out to be someone from the original game, it's going the be the character who seems to be a horrifying amalgamation of Hagakure, Leon, Sakura and Asahina.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SirKibbles posted:

Don't go on tumblr at all ,people do not tag their poo poo and whelp at least I know who the mastermind is :argh:

This is why it was said over and over (in both threads) that you really should not go out and look for fanart, or any outside information regarding this game. orenronen does a great job of keeping it an isolated environment, and it'd be best to respect that. (hence all the approved fanart rules).

I held off the urge for all of DR1 and will for all of DR2 and it was all worth it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My first attempt to match names to faces led me to tvtropes. And I landed on the worst spoilers as I scrolled.

:/

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Xander77 posted:

My first attempt to match names to faces led me to tvtropes. And I landed on the worst spoilers as I scrolled.

Oh yeah, TV Tropes is pretty much the go to site for ruining anything you look up due to all the spoilers. It's why I turned spoilers back on that site, curiosity tends to get the best of me, but at least I can avoid some of the major stuff more often.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Xander77 posted:

Ok I might be getting something wrong here but why don't you simply go to the first page of this thread? All the official chracter art and names are in the second post.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Oh yeah, TV Tropes is pretty much the go to site for ruining anything you look up due to all the spoilers. It's why I turned spoilers back on that site, curiosity tends to get the best of me, but at least I can avoid some of the major stuff more often.

They made a spoiler free Dangen Ronpa 2 character page.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Author-Man posted:

With Owari it feels like everyone thought "hey she's got a tan and big boobs, she must secretly be Asahina"
I'm not saying that Akane is secretly Asahina; I'm just saying that there's a pretty clear resemblance between the two. (Just like how Nagito resembles Naegi.)

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
It will probably become apparent later, but I can't help but think that Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is actually a prequel to both Dangan Ronpa Zer0 and Dangan Ronpa. Maybe we are witnessing the Most Ridiculously Named Disaster unfold before our very eyes. That would explain Fatogami, I think. Maybe he was the comatose student left after the Incident; he could have possibly have had his memory wiped after the Incident by Matsuda. Still, from what little we seen of Fatogami, he appears to be Togami after he experienced all his character development in Dangan Ronpa, so maybe my little theory isn't correct.

Regardless of all that, I am eagerly waiting more Dangan Ronpa Zer0 chapters. I had pictured Hope's Peak Academy as a vastly different place than what we've been shown so far. I am surprised that the scientists were not SHSL themselves at one point, and even more surprising to me, is how utterly amoral everyone in that last chapter seemed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You should think a guy would remember waking up and suddenly weighing a hundred pounds less.

spd12
Nov 3, 2012
Another issue with the theory of this being set before DR1 is that all the class photos we see of Togami show him being as thin as he is in that game, without any hint of the increased weight he appears to have here.

If they foreshadowed that in the first game with the intent to further explore it in a sequel, though, that'd have been quite some forethought on the developers' part... but no, I don't think that's the case from what information we have from what is - effectively - the first ten or so minutes of the game.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

GrizzlyCow posted:

It will probably become apparent later, but I can't help but think that Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is actually a prequel to both Dangan Ronpa Zer0 and Dangan Ronpa. Maybe we are witnessing the Most Ridiculously Named Disaster unfold before our very eyes.

You may have noticed they're on a desert island and not a Japanese high school

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bland posted:

...or are they?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Bland posted:

We don't know where they are, how they got there, or when this is all taking place. Hell, we don't even know if the island is truly deserted. Furthermore, when describing the Incident, the committee scientist people pointed out that they don't much about the crime. Things being what they are, we do not have enough information on the crime to even discuss it past it's impact on future events. The state of the bodies, the classroom, the actual crime scene: the useful details haven't been revealed yet. The only thing we know at this point is that a Hope's Peak Academy classroom was supposedly where the murders took place and this event took place before Dangan Ronpa and Dangan Ronpa Zer0. None of that rules out the possibility of Super Dangan Ronpa 2 being a prequel and the Incident. Remember where the game began.

Though, I admit, it is probably too early to go down this line of speculation.

edit'd for clarity

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

GrizzlyCow posted:

We don't know where they are, how they got there, or when this is all taking place. Hell, we don't even know if the island is truly deserted. Furthermore, when describing the Incident, the committee scientist people pointed out that they don't much about the crime. Things being what they are, we do not have enough information on the crime to even discuss it past it's impact on future events. The state of the bodies, the classroom, the actual crime scene: the useful details haven't been revealed yet. The only thing we know at this point is that a Hope's Peak Academy classroom was supposedly where the murders took place and this event took place before Dangan Ronpa and Dangan Ronpa Zer0. None of that rules out the possibility of Super Dangan Ronpa 2 being a prequel and the Incident. Remember where the game began.

Though, I admit, it is probably too early to go down this line of speculation.

edit'd for clarity

No I think it's pretty safe to say they are not at Hopes Peak Academy (where the incident took place) right now unless Japan underwent a pretty significant geographical shift

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

Bland posted:

No I think it's pretty safe to say they are not at Hopes Peak Academy (where the incident took place) right now unless Japan underwent a pretty significant geographical shift

I personally don't buy this theory myself, but they could be in an artificial environment.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Or, you know, the bodies were moved into the classroom.

I don't support the theory either but if you're trying to poke holes into it you're not doing great.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

curiousCat posted:

Or, you know, the bodies were moved into the classroom.

And the walls were painted with viscera after the fact to set the mood I imagine

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Bland posted:

And the walls were painted with viscera after the fact to set the mood I imagine

Or a confrontation took place after the bodies were moved. Maybe Hinata tore the fat from Togami's body.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Ugh, I was so good last time and avoided near all spoilers. This is yet another generic warning folks, don't even think of googling, tumblring, redditing, tvtroping, anything even closely related to this game what so ever. I also suggest not talking to any one outside this thread even if you are really good buddies with them or working out at the gym.

Edit: I wobbled over that line per the thread. Going to remove it to play safe.

Vexrm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 31, 2012

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah it seems pretty obvious to me that in the end of DR2 Togami is made comatose while fighting Monobear with a chainsaw, and then Junko airlifts his body from the island back to Hope's Peak, where she proceeds to perform liposuction using no actual medical equipment. The significance in Togami's discovery of the room in Dangan Ronpa 1 is that he himself was the cause of its condition, adding a cyclical subtext to the game that not many audiences would perceive without a more in depth analysis, such as the one that forums users GrizzlyCow and curiousCat have provided.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 31, 2012

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Bland posted:

The mental image of the culprit doctoring a crime scene just for atmosphere is rather entertaining. Are we sure that Togami wasn't the one that was behind the incident? Desecrating a murder for entertainment would fit his modus operandi perfectly.

And, this goes for everyone, if you get spoiled about something, maybe it would be a good idea not to tell everyone what you were spoiled on, no matter how vague you're trying to be about it.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 31, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

They made a spoiler free Dangen Ronpa 2 character page.

That would imply that visiting TvTropes is worthwhile, unless you for some reason want a list of fetishes the characters match.

I got spoiled *edit by slowbeef*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 31, 2012

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Ineffiable posted:

This is why it was said over and over (in both threads) that you really should not go out and look for fanart, or any outside information regarding this game. orenronen does a great job of keeping it an isolated environment, and it'd be best to respect that. (hence all the approved fanart rules).

I held off the urge for all of DR1 and will for all of DR2 and it was all worth it.

I know the person I was following didn't even know what dangan ronpa was they were just like oh cool art from pixiv so yeah I just have poo poo luck.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That would imply that visiting TvTropes is worthwhile, unless you for some reason want a list of fetishes the characters match.

I got spoiled

I remember reading that something Awful hates tv tropes for some reason. I go to tv tropes all the time so I do believe its worthwhile. Anyway going to drop this as it's very off topic.

Anyway you just have to be more careful about spoilers they are easy to find after all.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 31, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
:siren: Okay, enough. :siren:

I'm happy with things like:

- Don't go to TVTropes
- Watch out for YouTube recommendations, and here's how to avoid it...

Stop telling us what you were spoiled on.

Sometimes you bastards think you're being vague, but it gives away a little. Don't do this.

Bland posted:

For the record, I really like this comeback for some reason.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 31, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you have to talk to people in that order, or is there always a monitor close by for Usami to call everyone together?

Because if you're supposed to reach Togami last, that'd be like the crown jewel of ridiculous coincidences if you'd played the last game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

a bunch of dudes posted:

Dangan Ronpa 2 prequel hypothesis

The main reason why I don't believe in this is because of Nagito. He wears the same kind of clothes as Naegi, he's SHSL Luck, and his name is "It's Makoto Naegi". Obviously this isn't a coincidence. Some folks speculated that this could just be a meta reference that the game itself is making at the player, who would likely know of the events of the previous game. Personally I doubt this, because mysteries run on clues and conservation of detail, and all of those things are there for the mystery protagonist's benefit, so they can solve the mystery. They don't find footprints that mean nothing or people that act secretive about their real name because it's just something embarrassing like Donglebert. Nagito within the context of the story is a reference to Naegi. And there's no reason for anyone to aggressively reference Naegi with every fiber of their being in the context of the Ronpaverse before the events of the first game.

• Locked thread