Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I think he's been gaining popularity but I dunno tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

serious gaylord posted:

Mark Nicholas gets closer and closer to being the only commentator left.
His plan is working.

RIP CMJ

Also, England are doomed after the OP

newmalden
Dec 30, 2012

SHEFFIELD: SEX CITY
Lovely tribute to CMJ from the Grauniad's Lord Selvey. Warning: contains golf.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jan/01/christopher-martin-jenkins-cricket-best-friend

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

goatface posted:

Yeah, but I thought nobody actually expected him to do well.

From what I've read he has a real chance because he's vocal against Obama's campaign of terror in NW Pakistan (unlike the current regime) and isn't corrupt (unlike just about every politician in the Indian subcontinent).

Also RIP CMJ. Why couldn't it have been Agnew instead.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Lionel RichTea posted:

Counterpoint: you still have Mitchell Johnson in your team

At least he's good at being a oval office and hurting people (including Australian supporters :()

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coq au Nandos posted:

At least he's good at being a oval office and hurting people (including Australian supporters :()

This is true he's hurt my sides from laughing at his bowling many times.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

newmalden posted:

Lovely tribute to CMJ from the Grauniad's Lord Selvey. Warning: contains golf.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jan/01/christopher-martin-jenkins-cricket-best-friend

I really liked this article, and their Greig stuff. In fact all of the guardian's cricket writing is exceptional. Rob Smyth in particular is a brilliant journalist (although some of the stuff he writes on Man United can be a bit much)

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Starting XI for Vodafone Pink Test: Clarke, Bird, Cowan, Hughes, Hussey, Johnson, Lyon, Siddle, Starc, Wade, Warner #AUSvSL

Apparently instead of a replacement batsman for tomorrow the selectors have decided to play five bowlers. I know Sri Lanka have a pretty poo poo bowling attack so Johnson at 7 isn't that big of a deal, but surely this should have been a chance to bring in a new batsman and let them get some experience..

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Third test side.

Ed Cowan
David Warner
Phil Hughes
Michael Clarke (capt)
Michael Hussey
Matthew Wade
Mitchell Johnson
Mitchell Starc
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon
Jackson Bird

Now take out Michael Hussey and you have a team that will easily reclaim the ashes :suicide:

Why would you play 5 bowlers in a test you dont need to win? If it was 1-1 and needed a win for rankings and you have been having trouble bowling teams out then sure go for it. SL batted for about 80 overs last game.. Johnson at 7? he's a good tail ender, ie he can hit big scores - but also gets <10 most the time. I guess it doesn't matter as we are basically playing Sri Lanka A now with all their injuries, but i'll quote this post if we bat first and lose a couple of early wickets to the new ball and collapse horribly due to a mighty long tail.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Absolute balls that team. Perfect time to put khawaja in at six against not an especially good team. Now he or Maxwell is thrown in on an away tour of India where we traditionally play like garbage.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Agree with the sentiment here, why not use this test to get a look see how Khawaja is tracking, or get a look at Maxwell?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Apparently the scg is very green. So why not drop Lyon for Maxwell with Warner as back up and play khawaja in the place of Watson.

If its green as reported Lyon is going to be once again used as a defensive bowler while the quicks rest.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You'd think with all the Sri Lankan injuries it would be prime time to be trying out new players.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You'd think with all the recent Australian retirements and injuries it would be the prime time to be trying out new players.

When the Ashes is on, I'm going to hide under my bed for about two months and pretend it's not happening.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Schlesische posted:

You'd think with all the recent Australian retirements and injuries it would be the prime time to be trying out new players.

When the Ashes is on, I'm going to hide under my bed for about two months and pretend it's not happening.

What's not happening?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Great team, hope to see more of it (with someone not as good as Hussey replacing Hussey).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I will consider this SA test series a success if we don't lose either test by an innings.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

-Spiffy- posted:

RIP old thread. This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.

Also RIP spoonboy.

What happened to Spoonboy? :ohdear:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

I will consider this SA test series a success if we don't lose either test by an innings.

quoted for future mocking

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I will consider this South African series a success if we last longer than 3 days in at least one of the tests.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Thread title is great. That's one of the best cricket moments ever.

I don't know if the "not getting wickets" was a question, or a statement. It may indeed be that he's offering the not getting of wickets as an answer to the preceding question, but in my mind I heard it more as Johnson giving an example of why he thinks Anderson should not be chirping. "[So] why you chirpin' now, mate? [You're] not getting wickets!". The upward inflection suggests that it's a question but you may be familiar with such unnecessary vocal tricks employed by we Australians if you've seen our soaps-opera.

There's a strong case for both scenarios. I intend to write Johnson a letter to ask.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Sisgmund posted:

What happened to Spoonboy? :ohdear:

He decided to sacrifice the joy of posting here in order to preserve his dignity from another :toxx: induced song.

E:
which pitch are they playing on again? :stare:

Oh and SL have lost another fast bowler.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 2, 2013

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

South Africa aren't resting anyone.

:negative:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

We're batting first. :negative:

And the phantom is playing so we're already one down.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 2, 2013

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

We need a :negative: with a black cap and an umpire giving him out lbw.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

4liters posted:

E:

Read a shaking my head dot com dot au article about selections today:

that article posted:

"The only complicating factor was the Australian team's discovery of a green Sydney wicket on Tuesday"

:stare:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

4liters posted:

He decided to sacrifice the joy of posting here in order to preserve his dignity from another :toxx: induced song.

E:

poo poo that like under 10's or some poo poo; just mow a strip in the grass and stick up some stumps, that bitch will seam at right angles or better

edit : omfg I was this | | close to saying i'll watch untill the first wicket and then spoonboy :wtc:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There is no way we will bat out the day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

4liters posted:

E:

AHAHAHA gently caress yes this is gonna be awesome for bowling :D

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Has a team ever had its test status revoked due to form?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

There is no way we will bat out the session.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Play straight you loving oval office. How do they still not get this? PLAY STRAIGHT.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Lol the instant I posted that McCullum was bowled.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Haha holy poo poo :stare:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You thought that 47 that Aussie scored was pathetic, huh?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Give it a rest guys, we all knew this series was a writeoff, just relax and look ahead. When Taylor, Ryder, Vettori & Southee (our 4 best players) are back we have a competitive young team, but without them we have no chance against what is clearly the best team in the world on their home grounds. We'll be 3 down at lunch and end up with 300 or so, but lose quite comfortably. If you want to go into histrionics maybe call up Mark Watson on Radio Sport.

edit:
more than 3 down unless this review pans out, but still - this series was always a writeoff, and it's good bowlers bowling good balls.

edit2: ugh I'm done until the England series. This has been excellent bowling from Philander though.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 2, 2013

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

Fastest five-fer ever?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

300, huh?

I know we're poo poo but this is just spineless crap which we shouldn't have to put up with. At least we'll roll England.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Relax NZ, the tail can put some runs on the board, SA may have to chase say 100 from their 50 overs - a few early wickets and who knows what can happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newmalden
Dec 30, 2012

SHEFFIELD: SEX CITY
Commentator talking about Philander bowling a heavy ball. One of my favourite cricketing euphemisms. Tim Bresnan has heavy balls too apparently, though they haven't been the same since his elbow injury.

• Locked thread