Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Did Evan Bourne ever heal up? I don't think I've heard hide or hair of him since...March?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Good Listener posted:

Did Evan Bourne ever heal up? I don't think I've heard hide or hair of him since...March?

Pretty sure I remember him saying in Twitter that his foot wouldn't be cleared by the Rumble. But maybe that means he is cleared and will be back! =D

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

ChaosSmurf posted:

Would it be possible to do to the Diva's division what happened to the tag division with Hell No?

No, because have this thing from a recent interview with Michelle McCool talking about her match at NoC 2009 against Melina.

quote:

It was that day – I was like: “could you not tell anybody, but do you think we could do a DDT on the barricade?” And [Melina] was like: “Ohhhh! Yeah!!!” — Not even thinking twice about it. We kind of hid it all day, even though we did ask our agent for approval, I think it was Fit — which is no secret that he was always fighting for the girls. We just made sure that we can stand up and get our balance, but we never actually did the bump. She was the one who was going to take the huge bump, and there was no doubt, no hesitation, that she would make it look ridiculous — and it did! [During the match] She finally takes the bump, it looks sick, pops off — up to that point, that was the best match I’ve ever had. We had the pay-per-view, we had time, I was really proud of that match.

The next day, one of the agents came up to us and was like: “I can’t believe y’all did that! You have no idea! We were all backstage, scared to death!” We were like: “…What? We know how to safely bump. We wouldn’t do anything that would put either one of us at risk. We’re totally fine! If the men can do it, why can’t we do it?” He said: “It looked too good! You can’t go out there throwing punches like that, or taking bumps like that — that looks better than some of the guys! You can’t do that!”

Finally, I remember Chris Jericho, who was by the ring, hears all of this going on. He said: “Look, if the guys can’t follow what the girls are doing, then the guys need to step it up! I thought it was awesome. They did great. And it’s not their problem that it looked that great!” I was like… “Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!” Because out of respect, we can’t say anything, and here comes one of the boys — Jericho, of all people, sticking up for us!

IF the WWE ever cared enough to give a poo poo about the Divas then it's going to be Paige as she's already one of the most over people on NXT although how that'd translate to the normal roster who knows. They won't though. Rhonda Singh, when she was there as Bertha Faye, got told she basically couldn't wrestle her style because other guys on the roster were already using a bunch of power moves that she used and supposedly Aja Kong and Chaparitta ASARI got the same "how are we supposed to follow THAT?!" whining from the guys in the back after their Raw match.

As long as the WWE is an environment where the women are inherently seen as inferior and aren't allowed to do anything flashy for fear of upstaging the men in any way (real or imagined) then the Divas are never going to be presented in the same serious or respectable(ish) manner as the rest of the roster.

Suben fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 2, 2013

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
People talk a lot of crap about Melina, but I bet she's one of the only Divas there who ever responded to the idea she get splattered head-first on the floor with "ohhh yeaaahh! :haw:"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sears Poncho posted:

Sonic would have been in trouble.

Is this a real thing?
In one of the Legends of Wrestling episodes, Foley said that the only possible explanation he could think of for the Gobbledy Gooker was that he remembered Mark Calloway saying something about them possibly introducing him as "The Eggman," and that maybe the giant egg was an expensive leftover prop that they insisted on using somehow.

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

Here's my question for you, Wrestling Questions thread.

What are some examples of a wrestler being able to completely and totally change your personal opinion on them?

I ask this because a thought occurred to me about how much I used to hate Kane, and how flat-out entertaining he's been in the Team Hell No storyline.
Chris Benoit.

But seriously, I feel the same way about Kane. I also hated Austin at the height of his popularity--I thought his matches were boring and he was the personal hero of everyone in my high school who thought Skoal was part of the food pyramid. When I started watching his ECW stuff and his "borderline psychopath who decides to become a life coach" WWE gimmick I loved every second of it.

Puseklepp posted:

Why does Khali walk so awkward in the ring? Injury?
Bad joints are very common in people who are tall due to acromegaly. Andre was really exceptional in terms of how long a career he had.

Sometimes I wonder how physically formidable are the really huge guys of wrestling--I just visited the Mutter museum in Philadelphia, which showcased the skeleton of a 7'6" man with acromegaly. He was bedridden for the last year or so of his life, and leading up to that, he probably would've collapsed if a normal man kicked him in the knee or punched him in the solar plexus.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 2, 2013

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Kevin Nash insists he can kill most people with a single punch. :colbert:

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Sometimes I wonder how physically formidable are the really huge guys of wrestling--I just visited the Mutter museum in Philadelphia, which showcased the skeleton of a 7'6" man with acromegaly. He was bedridden for the last year or so of his life, and leading up to that, he probably would've collapsed if a normal man kicked him in the knee or punched him in the solar plexus.

So what you're saying is tonight we get to watch Antonio kill Khali?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Yo Eleven posted:

I think when he first started going by that name, we were still hearing the comments from his fellow broadcasters along the lines of "Boy, he sure does look familiar, doesn't he Jerry?" They would repeatedly say everything short of actually calling him his son.

Yeah, I definitely remember a couple of these. I also swear though that Cole muttered something like "Good move there by... King's kid." during a match on some episode of Smackdown. Maybe I dreamt it.

My favourite was probably at the start of the 2000 Rumble, when Christopher was drawn second. Lawler moaned, "I thought he was luckier than this! :(", to which JR responded with something like, "I heard he was dropped at birth.". King then gave a "Wait, what!?" response.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Bocc Kob posted:

Kevin Nash insists he can kill most people with a single punch. :colbert:

How much do you think he's willing to bet?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Around what time did people start "Wooo"-ing at every chop?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I wanna say...1999-2000ish?

Because I definitely remember it happening regularly in WWF even before Flair redebuted in the company on the post-SurSer 2001 RAW.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Didn't "Woo!" start out in ECW as a way of making fun of someone for using the chops or whatever and then made its way over to the WWE and such where it morphed into a sign of endearment?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Hamass posted:

Stephanie was an on-camera heel authority figure, and heel authority figures need to get poo poo on by the faces. Seeing as though Rock/Jericho couldn't just beat the poo poo out of them like Vince, Regal, Johnny Ace, etc, they needed a storyline reason to get her upset so she has a reason to put them in lovely matches and do the whole "face vs. authority figure" storyline.

People have been raging about this for years, but honestly, what is the alternative here? Nobody ever insults Stephanie and she acts like a Mary Sue? All they're allowed to say is "you're only here because of daddy", over and over again? Heel authority figures need comeuppance, and since Steph is (at least back in the day) pretty loving hot, they played the logical card.

It's the same thing with Vicki. She's been called fat so many times and put in other humiliating situations because she's a heel female authority figure.

I actually give respect to Steph that she would allow wrestlers to joke about her boob job and call her a ho on television. It shows she's not afraid of getting humiliated in the name of a better product. You can criticize her for making herself an on-air authority figure in the first place, but considering the end goal is to make the audience cheer Jericho for calling attention to her boob job, what's the big deal?

Sorry to bring up an old post, I've just been catching up on the thread and this one stuck out to me.

It always rubs me the wrong way when WWE does these angles calling women fat. The argument of "well she's a woman, how are we SUPPOSED to make fun of her" is a lame one. No one ever called Vince, Johnny Ace or Bischoff fat. It feels like WWE's default is to call heel women fat sluts, and I find it embarrassing to watch.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
She's not even that fat anymore. Make fun of her teeth or something.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Or just make fun of how annoying her voice is. In the best possible way of course. Vickie is awesome is what I'm saying to you.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Or maybe don't make fun of her physical appearance at all since it's never seemed to cross the minds of any of the writers when they where looking for a reason to insult any male GM/manager or non wrestler.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you aren't horrible, you should hate pretty much everything about how women are portrayed in the WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Or maybe don't make fun of her physical appearance at all since it's never seemed to cross the minds of any of the writers when they where looking for a reason to insult any male GM/manager or non wrestler.

So it's OK to insult the appearance of male wrestlers? And I'm pretty sure Paul Heyman has been made fun of for being fat, and JR has been made fun of for nearly everything with regards to his appearance INCLUDING a physical disability. Making fun of Vickie's weight has everything to do with Vince being a weird bully, not some sexist double standard. There's sexism in the WWE, but you can't point to this as the example.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I actually can't remember Heyman being called fat. I mean, I'm sure you're right and he has, but I can't think of a particular moment. Also JR is made fun of by heels, so it's shown as a bad thing to do.

Only the heel women are called fat, generally by the courageous babyfaces. And it usually happens in grand fashion. Like, Vickie was put in a hog pen match and oinked at while being called piggie. They go way too far with the women sometimes.

I don't mean to come off as white-knighting, I just don't like any of this stuff associated with wrestling, it looks bad on us.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The only person in the professional wrestling industry allowed to call anyone fat is Scott Steiner.

Anyone else is unacceptable.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The only person in the professional wrestling industry allowed to call anyone fat is Scott Steiner.

Anyone else is unacceptable.

But Steiner doesn't call people fat. He's just declares "HE'S FAH!" No-one knows what he means by "FAH!".

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

triplexpac posted:

Sorry to bring up an old post, I've just been catching up on the thread and this one stuck out to me.

It always rubs me the wrong way when WWE does these angles calling women fat. The argument of "well she's a woman, how are we SUPPOSED to make fun of her" is a lame one. No one ever called Vince, Johnny Ace or Bischoff fat. It feels like WWE's default is to call heel women fat sluts, and I find it embarrassing to watch.

It really irks me how Lawler loves (like, he genuinely seems to enjoy) calling Vickie fat and make ugly jokes about her at almost every opportunity. Even when she lost mad weight good ol' Jerry Lawler was there to remind us Vickie is still a fatty fat fat fat.

The Divas situation is a dire one. The women get told by the WWE brass to not outshine the men and when their matches are treated as toilet break time the same people then point to that and fool themselves into believing this isn't entirely their fault. It's also common knowledge that Triple H isn't high on the division so when he finally takes over I can't say it will get any better either.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

It really irks me how Lawler loves (like, he genuinely seems to enjoy) calling Vickie fat and make ugly jokes about her at almost every opportunity. Even when she lost mad weight good ol' Jerry Lawler was there to remind us Vickie is still a fatty fat fat fat.

Fat Jerry Lawler who had a stroke after some light cardio repeatedly calls a woman that's not supermodel scronny but can certainly work a match without her heart exploding fat.

Lawler himself couldn't come up with a better joke.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I actually can't remember Heyman being called fat. I mean, I'm sure you're right and he has, but I can't think of a particular moment. Also JR is made fun of by heels, so it's shown as a bad thing to do.

Only the heel women are called fat, generally by the courageous babyfaces. And it usually happens in grand fashion. Like, Vickie was put in a hog pen match and oinked at while being called piggie. They go way too far with the women sometimes.

I don't mean to come off as white-knighting, I just don't like any of this stuff associated with wrestling, it looks bad on us.

Heyman got called a Walrus a while back but that's about it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The first time I remember actually getting angry with how the WWE treated the women was around 2002 (I think). Molly Holly was the heel, feuding with Trish Stratus. Trish would constantly call her fat and make fun of her grannie panties, for whatever reason. I was baffled that Trish was the good guy in this situation, and I was a big Trish fan at the time. You'd have Trish, the announcers, the crowd all making fun of poor Molly Holly and I just felt bad about the whole thing.

The Attitude Era had it's own issues, but I don't remember them being so mean towards women.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

triplexpac posted:

Also JR is made fun of by heels, so it's shown as a bad thing to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYlbLZ7ZgX0

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

Here's my question for you, Wrestling Questions thread.

What are some examples of a wrestler being able to completely and totally change your personal opinion on them?

I ask this because a thought occurred to me about how much I used to hate Kane, and how flat-out entertaining he's been in the Team Hell No storyline.

I thought Davey Richards was the lamest dude on the planet when he first came to ROH.

These days everybody hates him because he's an rear end in a top hat, but I still think he's pretty cool v:shobon:v

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I find him exhausting. He can have some great matches but gently caress me he fills them up. It gets to the point where I'm sick of flying back hand, flipping, spinning moonsault kicks and I just want someone to throw a punch.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I thought Davey Richards was the lamest dude on the planet when he first came to ROH.

These days everybody hates him because he's an rear end in a top hat, but I still think he's pretty cool v:shobon:v

I don't want to ever read another tweet or interview of his ever again but I cannot hate a member of Team Statutory, especially the one who went so above and beyond the call

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

VogeGandire posted:

But Steiner doesn't call people fat. He's just declares "HE'S FAH!" No-one knows what he means by "FAH!".

Steiner is Fancy rear end Hoe.

My God.

The Fanciest Hoe

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Did Ministry era Undertaker do the ropewalk "Old School" move? Surprised me to see him do it as a signature in WWE '13 since I didn't remember him doing it at the time.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I don't remember him doing it in the WWF until the biker taker gimmick, before that I only saw him do it in WCW.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
he used the ropewalk in his first squash match in wwf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TvY32-5xH4&t=121s

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

cucka posted:

Steiner is Fancy rear end Hoe.

My God.

The Fanciest Hoe

:lost:

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

I think Bills Steiner Math would involve ritual sacrifice of goats wearing jerseys, including one goat that can't be killed because the shots keep missing wide right.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

maniacripper posted:

I don't remember him doing it in the WWF until the biker taker gimmick, before that I only saw him do it in WCW.

Undertaker used to use that move all the time back in the day. It was one of his original signature moves.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

nasboat posted:

Undertaker used to use that move all the time back in the day. It was one of his original signature moves.

Hence the name "old school"

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
VINTAGE Undertaker!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

If you can find Mean Mark Calloways debut match in WCW it's worth a watch to hear Paul Heyman and Jim Ross lose their mind over how agile he is, and the comments they make about how he's going to be a star.

Taker was the original Paul Heyman guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?

triplexpac posted:

Oh sheeet somebody quoted my post.

To elaborate, it's a very simple forumla:

1. Heel authority figure abuses their power to make things difficult for face wrestler.
2. Face wrestler overcomes obstacles, but heel authority figure places more in his path.
3. Eventually face wrestler gets his "comeuppance" on heel authority figure.
4. Marks are happy because heel authority figure shouldn't have been messing in face wrestler's business in the first place.
5. Heel authority figure finds new face to torment OR face succeeds in getting heel authority figure fired.

Now number 3 must always happen, because that's the point of bad guys. "Oh I hate Vickie she's so mean to Cena I hope he does something bad to her". The problem becomes how easy number 3 is for male authority figures ("Heyman, I spoke to the board of directors and YOU'RE gonna face JOHN CENA in a STEEL CAGE" *massive cheers from audience while Heyman gets wide-eyed*) and how feminism and all that make it much more difficult to get comeuppance on a female authority figure. Because according to the internet:

- You can't beat up a woman like you can beat up McMahon, Bischoff, Heyman, etc (which makes sense, I'm glad Cena isn't smacking Vickie in the head with a folding chair)
- You can't make fun of a woman's physical attributes - her weight, her surgically-enhanced breasts, etc. You can make fun of men for such things as Bell's Palsy, almost dying from a heart attack, his weight, and even his moustache.
- You can't call attention to a woman's sexual history, that's "slut shaming". But whenever Edge makes his tri-yearly appearance, someone can always call him out for his checkered past, sleeping his way to multiple championships.

So at the end of the day, if you're gonna get puffy and offended every time a female heel authority figure gets her comeuppance, well maybe suggest a couple of "acceptable" ways in which someone like John Cena can do something lovely to someone like Vickie Guerrero. You can't just say "well they shouldn't be doing it at all" because that means Ms. Guerrero is out of a job, and I'm drat sure she'd rather collect that sweet paycheck, even if it means Lawler and Cena make tasteless jokes about the evil character she portrays.

I'm actually curious if anyone can come up with pro-feminist ways for people like Vickie Guerrero to get their comeuppance. You can only do "now AJ's attacking Vickie because Cena can't do it!" so many times. Play fantasy booker for a moment: Vickie has cost Cena the title at PPV, it's Raw the next night, Vince McMahon comes to you asking for a storyline where Cena embarrasses Vickie and gets his revenge for putting him through hell, but she can't be physically attacked and Cena cannot call attention to any physical or mental attributes that might piss the internet off.

What does Cena do? Cover her in poopy? Because he did that.