Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I'm going to try to give a decent write up about the game but it's going to be minimal effort in regards to pictures and the like. I'm just going to share my experiences with the Closed Beta, so my information is going to be out of date a bit.

Launch looks to be the 30th of January. (It's been pushed back.)

What is Wizardry Online

It's a MMO based on the wizardry line of games. Pretty exciting right?

Does it feel like Wizardry

Actually, yes. Kind of anyway. About as successful as you can be with an MMO in my opinion.

What's the sell here?

Permadeath and fairly unforgiving dungeons.

Yes. Characters go bye-bye.

A few things of note before we get into the specifics of the game. I have an extremely limited brain space and may call priests clerics, thiefs rogues, and will use Soul and account interchangeably. I'll be wrong for doing so but suck it up.

http://wizardryonline.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Started

Here's a decent starting thing, I'm going to try to build on that without reposting the whole drat thing.

Souls
Each account has 2 souls which contain 3 - 5 character slots. The soul will act as a last name for your character, in addition to the character name. Soul is one of the two main means of character progression in addition to levels. It's essentially a second experience bar that goes up through all your character's play time. This is very important in the case of losing your character you can grab stuff out of the bank with high soul rank and be up to speed pretty quickly. Your bank is soul wide, as are no trade items. It's really a pretty nice system and eases transfer times significantly. Story quests are also across your soul, so once you unlock the second dungeon every character on that soul will have access to it and the quest to open it cannot be redone. Criminal status is also shared across the soul.

Classes
Fighter, Thief, Priest, Mage. This should be pretty easy to figure out.

Early game CBT impressions: Fighters are easy mode. Super sturdy, a giant heal and good damage. Priests are solid. Thiefs are tricky. Towards the end of the CBT I saw no mages.

Races

Look at the getting started thing for stats. Porkuls have the best total stat points but have an absolutely terrible melee arc. A porkul wielding a dagger can barely scratch his own balls. I don't know actual ranges or if it was even all in my head but they felt way more difficult to maneuver. Height matters. Golden dragon ruins specifically has a ton of traps that shoot over the head of porkul and dwarves. Getting hit by traps repeatedly is Real Bad.

Character Creation
You will roll attributes and pick alignment/race/class. Alignment will add effects to some abilities. Quests during the course of the game can alter your alignment with certain responses. Make sure you read the quest text because cutting off that guy's head isn't always bad, he may have deserved it.

Oh yeah, roll attributes. When you create a character you will roll between 6 and 12 bonus attribute points. Or up to 70. 12 is the standard high end you can expect to get in a reasonable (~15 min) time rerolling. Anything outside of that range is extremely rare. Have fun.

Early stat points make a huge difference! A few points in vitality and str will make your life much easier no matter your class (Maybe a mage can skip the str). If you're bad at these types of games I'd even suggest going all str and vit with rogue/priest/war until you get a few soul ranks and a set of gear so you don't embarrass yourself in the first dungeon.

Skill Specs
Each level brings a talent point to drop into your abilities. I didn't get as much time to fiddle around with these as I would have liked. My takeaway from this was that 5 points into an ability was almost always better than 5 points in 5 abilities. If point 5 can go in at level 15, it acted like a level 15 ability. If you still have the same 1 point in the ability at level 15 you'll be fighting like a level 5 or so.

Class Change
You can change classes once you get a few soul ranks in, 5 I believe. Changing classes will let you reapply your bonus attributes you rolled earlier and will let you carry over a number of skills and total skill points determined by your soul rank. If you have 6 points in an ability and can only transfer 5 more skill points, you're out of luck on that. I do not know if you can chain an ability from one class through another and onto a different third class.

PvP
It's everywhere and heavily based on gear(soul rank) and level. Attacking a non criminal player will make you criminal. Looting player corpses will make you a criminal. Bounty Hunting will make you a criminal. Healing or buffing criminals will make you a criminal. Attacking criminals will not make you criminal. Guards will throw you in jail when they catch you. You actually have to sit in jail for a few minutes and repeatedly asking the dude to get you out of jail extends your stay. While in jail people on the outside can press a button that kills everyone on the inside. Check out the death section for why this might lead to you uninstalling.

Death
When you die you turn into a ghost and are going to have to go find the nearest statue (or port to it) or have a buddy carry your corpse there. Beware the reapers that will send you back to your corpse minus some rez chance. The game even gives you the super pro tip of training the reapers on to other dead players so they don't mess with you. When you find a statue you'll be able to rez. You can tithe to get your success rate with soul items found throughout the game or some cold hard cash. Rates in beta were extremely high, and I don't imagine they will stay that way as it was pretty trivial to avoid permadeath. The first failure will ash you, the second deletes the character. Holy items increase resurrect chances and cursed items lower them. Make sure to activate the statues as you run by them!

Combat
Combat is like TERA combat but with a little something extra. That something extra is another 21st chromosome. The combat system will probably feel clunky as all get out and one of the worst designed systems possible when you first get to it. It's not a very good system but it will probably fade as you get used to it. Swings go at things and can miss, spells can miss, it's pretty fun. My brief PvP counters have been a whole lot of fun.

Melee characters should probably play without targeting. You'll have better mobility. Casters are forced into targeting. How you move and step (a jump back with spacebar) is totally different depending on if you are targeting or not so you will kill yourself a few times switching between the two for sure.

OD is an action bar for melee abilities. It will regenerate while hitting things or slowly over time.

GP is your shield. Blocking is pretty important, you'll get used to it.

Dungeons
Traps everywhere, even the chests are trapped! You'll lose condition by running over a trap and that will eventually lower stats, definitely not a good thing to have happen. Progression through dungeons go through stages. You'll reach a boss statue that will have some puzzle/riddle you have to do. You'll need to run around looking at plates and putting the story together so you can go back to the statue and answer the questions. The boss fights aren't necessarily bossy, but sometimes they are. It's actually a pretty unique MMO experience sure to be ruined by massive amounts of spoiler sites everywhere. None of the puzzles are actually difficult and you have to go look at everything anyway before you get tested but people are still dumb enough to fail and those people are fun to laugh at.

Temple of oblivion (level 14ish) is most likely the last time you will consider soloing. I think it can be done solo but you'll have to get lucky, be good, and probably roll outside of a 12.

You'll want to grab a partner at least after the first dungeon, especially as a non fighter/priest. This is not a solo game. I beat Temple of Oblivion with a friend and we cheesed it mightily.

Conclusion
Is the game good? Probably not. I'm not sure I see a whole hell of a lot of replayability. Going through these dungeons is an absolute joy, however, even with the limitations of the game. There is a real sense of danger and accomplishments for completing an area. It's a fairly unique game experience and Vanguard is the only game I've played with something similar. Hopefully the handholding on release isn't very bad so people can experience the game themselves.

A friendly note to new players, hold on to two kraken coins, you'll need them to progress. The repeatable quest guy has a quest that will hook you up with more if you lose them for whatever reason (or sell them to impatient people).

Here is a video of Doing It Wrong (It's okay I did it wrong too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCPASLDhlE

Bashez fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

I am actually having fun with this. To me it feels like a mix of the Souls games with Dungeons & Dragons Online. It seems to capture the feeling of a tabletop game with the permanent death and attribute drain and all that. The combat isn't bad at all, it is just animation locked like the Souls games or Monster Hunter even if it is a bit simpler.

This made me think of Record of Lodoss War more than anything.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

UnholyCow posted:

I am actually having fun with this. To me it feels like a mix of the Souls games with Dungeons & Dragons Online. It seems to capture the feeling of a tabletop game with the permanent death and attribute drain and all that. The combat isn't bad at all, it is just animation locked like the Souls games or Monster Hunter even if it is a bit simpler.

This made me think of Record of Lodoss War more than anything.

Same here, Me and a buddy went through the first dungeon earlier and eventually started to have a lot of fun once we got used to everything. It really feels like DnD with a side of dark souls, and an unhealthy smattering of MMORPG all over it.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
It's pretty refreshingly brutal. There are some problems, like enemy respawns being really weird and cutscene text scrolling at the speed of slow, but overall I'm liking it.

I'd actually say it feels a lot like Phantasy Star Online, the D&D campaign, more than anything else.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
This looks to be something that I would definitely enjoy playing casually, but I can't seem to find system requirements anywhere. I'm guessing it's PC only, but if a Mac version exists, I'm in!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Irsh posted:

This looks to be something that I would definitely enjoy playing casually, but I can't seem to find system requirements anywhere. I'm guessing it's PC only, but if a Mac version exists, I'm in!

This is the best I could find:

-Core 2 Duo 2 GHz
-1 GB RAM (2 GB RAM - Vista/7)
-graphic card 256 MB (GeForce 8600 GT or better)
-4 GB HDD, Windows XP/Vista/7

Doesn't look like there's a mac version.

The only thing I'm hating so far is having enemies spawning so quickly that I can't keep up with them. That aside, I'm digging the sense of dread you get while you're in dungeons.

The translation may or may not be helping with that, still not sure.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Uh, wow. Mages are pretty bad. Wholly reliant on non-regenerating MP, underwhelming damage compared to my Thief, no survivability, no fallbacks when MP is out, and all their attacks are interruptable.

Edit: Also they start out with a dagger that has no M.Atk bonus.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 31, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This game looks pretty interesting, and I'm going to guess they must really be pushing for cooperation. What mechanics are in place to encourage and improve team play versus soloing besides making mages basically helpless (but presumably invaluable for certain encounters)? It's kind of different to force players to actually behave like the units you use in the single-player games and baby sit the spellcasters until you can deploy their payloads.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Really early on, the game makes sure to inform you that co-operative play is a risk-and-reward venture. If you die, your "friends" can loot your body of valuables (some stuff is not able to be taken), and if more than one of you dies, the game encourages you to throw your teammates in front of the walkers (who make it harder to come back if you get caught by them) so that you can make your way to a revival statue.

If anything, it's good to work in groups to make your death less likely to be permanent. If you work with someone you trust, and one of you bites it, the other one can pick you up and take you to a temple where your chances of not getting turned to dust are higher. They can also guard you from the aforementioned looting.

Teamwork in this game is all about trust. There's nothing stopping you from flagging yourself for PVP and going to town on your teammates so you can loot their corpses and make their lives hell (provided they even come back), but if you work together with others, it's a good way to give yourself some longevity. Some dungeons can be downright brutal, and considering you can lose almost everything if things go pear-shaped, it never hurts to get some help.

I've been playing as a fighter named Beef Meatslab and I'm absolutely digging this game. The translation could use some work, and the spawn rates are a little quick, but I could see myself sinking some time into it throughout open beta and past release.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So how grindy or time-sinky would you say it is? I mean, if you can die forever, are you going to be losing a WoW sized investment or are characters more disposable so there's less heartbreak if you get ashed?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
What feels surreal to me is that this game is what I would have envisioned an MMO being if you had outlined the general concept to me in 1996.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Lotish posted:

So how grindy or time-sinky would you say it is? I mean, if you can die forever, are you going to be losing a WoW sized investment or are characters more disposable so there's less heartbreak if you get ashed?

Getting ashed doesn't kill off your character, failing to revive from ashes is what does it. (Body > Ash > :sigh: )

That said you should be able to pick up from where your old character left off pretty easily, you'll just have to get your new character leveled up which should be easier to do the higher your Soul Rank is and get your new guy equipped.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Lotish posted:

It's really, really easy to avoid being ashed. This is on top of the fact that Soul Ranks apply to all characters on the account and starting at SR 3 you get EXP boosts up to certain levels. You also keep all items in your coat room so you can just go pick up whatever you stored on another character.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 1, 2013

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
Doing dwarf thief strategist because who cares about elves or those weird little doll looking people :stare: That and I got a 12 bonus stat start and decided I didn't want to sit there rolling till I got the magical fabled 50 or 70 bonus point start that I hear you can get.

On the plus side, I think I'm more durable than the other thieves and can cut up monsters face to face if I can't get good backstab alignment, on the downside- I had to spend an alarming amount of points to get up to speed on my agility.

Economy Clown Car fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 1, 2013

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Bashez posted:

What's the sell here?

Permadeath and fairly unforgiving dungeons.

Well now I have to try it.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I tried a little last night, and it seems like a fun little diversion. I'm assuming open beta characters are getting wiped, since as you said, you expect resurrection odds to drop for release. It'd seem an unfair leg up to let beta players keep their progress if that's the case.

As it's free-to-play, I'll probably jump on it for a while come launch. What can I say? I'm a sucker for permadeath.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Economy Clown Car posted:

Doing dwarf thief strategist because who cares about elves or those weird little doll looking people :stare: That and I got a 12 bonus stat start and decided I didn't want to sit there rolling till I got the magical fabled 50 or 70 bonus point start that I hear you can get.

On the plus side, I think I'm more durable than the other thieves and can cut up monsters face to face if I can't get good backstab alignment, on the downside- I had to spend an alarming amount of points to get up to speed on my agility.

I'm not sure agility does anything, unless you misspoke and meant dex, which is super super important. Agility does things, just not things you want a thief to be doing. (Lower crit rate from monsters and I'm not sure what else)

Lotish posted:

The first character that is leveling with his soul rank is pretty grindy. Getting to level 10 will feel like an accomplishment. If you lose that character your new character will be able to use the same gear that your old guy was using but will have a lower HP pool and stat base. He'll fight well after a few levels. Soul ranks will give you a bunch of boosts like 50% exp up to X level and lower identify costs. Basically what took like 30 hours without soul rank and gear took like 2 hours after we knew what we were doing and had soul ranks. I'm not sure if you played wizardry but half our time as kids was spent in the character creation screen. The game's meant to reroll characters a bunch, HP is not random on levels (I don't believe) but stats are so I'm assuming you'll just be binning guys that lose stats on levels too frequently.

Lotish posted:

This game looks pretty interesting, and I'm going to guess they must really be pushing for cooperation. What mechanics are in place to encourage and improve team play versus soloing besides making mages basically helpless (but presumably invaluable for certain encounters)? It's kind of different to force players to actually behave like the units you use in the single-player games and baby sit the spellcasters until you can deploy their payloads.

If you get 1000 exp on a solo kill you'll get like 900 exp in a two man group. Mages really aren't helpless, they're just the hardest class by far to play. I really don't know how good their damage is (and it's total rear end at the start, do not make a mage before you get a +magic attack weapon to give them) but I'm pretty sure they can drop shitloads of damage.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This seems pretty appealing, so I had a few questions, if anyone was able to answer:

-Is there any overworld to speak of? Or is the entire game just a town with lots of dungeons? Or is it like different towns that "click to teleport to" and go to their dungeons?

-Are all the quests pretty generic "tasks" of "collect x whatevers"? One video I saw seemed to bring back horrible WoW / EQ flashbacks, like needing 5 of such, but there's only 2 spawn points. Plus, competition for it.

-Speaking of the quests - for the ones like those that are annoying, are most pretty passable? Or are they the main source of exp / gear?

-Do we know what the F2P model is like yet?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

xZAOx posted:

This seems pretty appealing, so I had a few questions, if anyone was able to answer:

-Is there any overworld to speak of? Or is the entire game just a town with lots of dungeons? Or is it like different towns that "click to teleport to" and go to their dungeons?

-Are all the quests pretty generic "tasks" of "collect x whatevers"? One video I saw seemed to bring back horrible WoW / EQ flashbacks, like needing 5 of such, but there's only 2 spawn points. Plus, competition for it.

-Speaking of the quests - for the ones like those that are annoying, are most pretty passable? Or are they the main source of exp / gear?

-Do we know what the F2P model is like yet?

Just one town and a dude that takes you to the other dungeons, as far as I'm aware.

Every single one of the quests sucks rear end. The meat of the game is in the dungeon puzzles. Quests are basically for gold. Decent exp and soul points but you're better off grinding for those. You have your soul quests that you can only complete once which amount to "finish this dungeon" and then some repeatable ones. There are a couple littered about the town that aren't awful but they are few and far between. Quests are not a strong suit of this game, running around a dungeon for a few hours and still not having the map pieces for it is!

It looks like respecs and an item to not lose your weapon/armor during the forging process are bought. These are a pretty big deal because I think success gets sub 10% for 2 or 3 attempts in a row. +5 on weapons is a big deal because I think you get a hardness there. I didn't even attempt a +5 and it goes to 6 and 7. Not sure if it goes higher but I didn't even risk a +4 all through beta.

warlord9929
Feb 29, 2012
I definitely need to get back into this. I decided to try it out a few weeks ago, but I only had my laptop available at the time with a mouse that had an X-axis which would die for a few seconds sometimes. Got me killed quite a lot, but I've enjoyed it so far. I had read you could get a pretty high starting bonus, so when I rolled a 25 on my first roll, I decided to reroll to get one higher. 10 minutes later, never got past a 12. Not the brightest idea.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Bashez posted:

Just one town and a dude that takes you to the other dungeons, as far as I'm aware.

Two towns, actually. If you escape from jail you wind up in a different town with no guards.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Miijhal posted:

Two towns, actually. If you escape from jail you wind up in a different town with no guards.

That's the slums for the same town. It does not have your story quest progression guys in it so good luck finishing that stuff while criminal! Dodging guards and players is kind of fun while trying to get to the quest givers. You can also just walk into the slums while not criminal, which is where you get to execute everyone in jail every 3 minutes until they quit the game.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bashez posted:

Every single one of the quests sucks rear end. The meat of the game is in the dungeon puzzles. Quests are basically for gold. Decent exp and soul points but you're better off grinding for those. You have your soul quests that you can only complete once which amount to "finish this dungeon" and then some repeatable ones. There are a couple littered about the town that aren't awful but they are few and far between. Quests are not a strong suit of this game, running around a dungeon for a few hours and still not having the map pieces for it is!

It looks like respecs and an item to not lose your weapon/armor during the forging process are bought. These are a pretty big deal because I think success gets sub 10% for 2 or 3 attempts in a row. +5 on weapons is a big deal because I think you get a hardness there. I didn't even attempt a +5 and it goes to 6 and 7. Not sure if it goes higher but I didn't even risk a +4 all through beta.

Thanks! That's what I figured. That's all good though. I wonder if it'll ever get semi-EQ like, with people setting up camp for an area to grind out mobs for exp.

Hate to keep bombarding you - but what the hell is forging? Or just the 2 sentence explanation or whatever. Game sites are blocked at work, or I'd google it.

I'm also curious about how the multi-classing works, but it didn't seem like people really got into it much yet. I figure it won't be too long after release until there are guides out there telling you how to not gimp your toon, and the order to make this-or-that in. It's sounding like Soul Rank will be good enough to keep you from wanting to kill yourself if you want to reroll. The game seems to start out so difficult, that I wonder if everyone shouldn't start a warrior to easy-mode for a bit, then die/delete him and come back as what class you really wanted.

warlord9929
Feb 29, 2012
Equipment can be improved in terms of attack, defense, durability and hardness with the use of forging stones. There's a chance to lose the item you're upgrading though, which I believe goes up with each forging bonus.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Thanks! That's what I figured. That's all good though. I wonder if it'll ever get semi-EQ like, with people setting up camp for an area to grind out mobs for exp.

Hate to keep bombarding you - but what the hell is forging? Or just the 2 sentence explanation or whatever. Game sites are blocked at work, or I'd google it.

I'm also curious about how the multi-classing works, but it didn't seem like people really got into it much yet. I figure it won't be too long after release until there are guides out there telling you how to not gimp your toon, and the order to make this-or-that in. It's sounding like Soul Rank will be good enough to keep you from wanting to kill yourself if you want to reroll. The game seems to start out so difficult, that I wonder if everyone shouldn't start a warrior to easy-mode for a bit, then die/delete him and come back as what class you really wanted.

Throw some cash and stones into the repair vendor guy (you buy the stones or quest them; better/more stones offer better success rate) and upgrade your stats. The higher soul rank the item is the more expensive it is. I'm not sure if chance varies (master or legendary or whatever the really good item thing is cannot be forged) by rarity or soul rank or just randomly by item but some items are definitely harder to enchant than others. You also get glows for higher level enchants. Getting to +3 is easy and virtually guaranteed for a lot of items. It's also necessary if you're playing by yourself at all.

There's a quest to change your class that requires you to get a class ticket (super rare, never saw one) or collect I think 8 class stones. Use the stones and you'll drop back to level 1 and reassign your attribute roll from the creation of the character. You also get to transfer a number of skills, and skill ranks, from your old talent build into the new class based on your soul rank. Higher rank means more transfers allowed. If you're allowed 12 skill ranks you can move 5 of this, 5 of that, and 2 of the other, provided you can move 3 skills as well.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 2, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well I finally took a stab at it. It'd be nice if they expand avatar customization a little in the future, but I like my mutton chops fine. :)

Only finished the initiation quest chain so far. Text moves pretty slow and you can't click through the cutscenes. Combat is pretty fun, at least against the simplest monsters. Haven't figured out how to make the game pad play in a sensible way (using a 360 controller) as it only says "button 1, button 2" and doesn't make it clear what buttons do what by default. So far this seems quite enjoyable. We'll see if I get my poo poo wrecked later.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
I think if you make a habit to keep your condition high (that little meter shaped like a half moon/crescent) you have a better chance to gain stats on leveling, My condition has been prime since I learned how to play proper and I seem to almost always gain stats, but when it's low I lose them.

Also, scrooge beetles are ridiculous :psyduck: you kill one and 500 gold pops out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My first level I hadn't used up any condition (that I know of) and I lost a point of piety while gaining a point in everything else. :shrug: Don't you have to improve that with the inn anyway? Does the game take your new condition into account before the leveling?

At first blush, this game just feels like it has something other MMOs I've tested recently lacked, but I'm not quite sure what it is. I think it's a simple as personality. Maybe it's just that Dark Souls-esque tone, like with the intro movie where the characters are being torn to shreds--there's no heroics, just a guy running for his life from the frying pan to the fire.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lotish posted:

My first level I hadn't used up any condition (that I know of) and I lost a point of piety while gaining a point in everything else. :shrug: Don't you have to improve that with the inn anyway? Does the game take your new condition into account before the leveling?

At first blush, this game just feels like it has something other MMOs I've tested recently lacked, but I'm not quite sure what it is. I think it's a simple as personality. Maybe it's just that Dark Souls-esque tone, like with the intro movie where the characters are being torn to shreds--there's no heroics, just a guy running for his life from the frying pan to the fire.

My experience has been that dropping 3,000 gold at the inn has given worse results than the fountains in dungeons. This is purely anecdotal and I believe they've explicitly stated the royal suite should give better levels.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
Man, are there even soul rank 2 knuckles in the game? I vastly prefer them to daggers on thief and I have been suffering using an edging dagger for a while. And the market's turning up nothing.

The game is pretty goddamn enjoyable so far though, and doesn't feel "grindy" in the sense that the quests are enough to level you fairly well.

Edit: I think it's also strongly advisable not to do hybrid builds or classes until you are a high-ish soul rank because otherwise it's too slow and you can't port over much when you change.

Economy Clown Car fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 4, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Economy Clown Car posted:

Man, are there even soul rank 2 knuckles in the game? I vastly prefer them to daggers on thief and I have been suffering using an edging dagger for a while. And the market's turning up nothing.

The game is pretty goddamn enjoyable so far though, and doesn't feel "grindy" in the sense that the quests are enough to level you fairly well.

Edit: I think it's also strongly advisable not to do hybrid builds or classes until you are a high-ish soul rank because otherwise it's too slow and you can't port over much when you change.

You can get a rank 2 knuckle for finishing the first story quest, and a second one from another quest that pops up in town right after hitting SR2.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Miijhal posted:

You can get a rank 2 knuckle for finishing the first story quest, and a second one from another quest that pops up in town right after hitting SR2.

:stare: how the hell and a half did I miss them? I've finished both. :(

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Spears are literally the best weapon. My Warrior does long range poke damage for 200 very rapidly, slaughtering everything. No shield is a pain, the Dragon Ruins are kicking my rear end.

Really do enjoy this, it plays like a singleplayer, Dark Souls meets DDO is a great way to explain it. The Soul system is really cool, the idea of have multiple toons contribute to one another to a strong degree is cool but the grind is a bit of a drag.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Spears are literally the best weapon. My Warrior does long range poke damage for 200 very rapidly, slaughtering everything. No shield is a pain, the Dragon Ruins are kicking my rear end.

Really do enjoy this, it plays like a singleplayer, Dark Souls meets DDO is a great way to explain it. The Soul system is really cool, the idea of have multiple toons contribute to one another to a strong degree is cool but the grind is a bit of a drag.

Spears do indeed own. Pro tip for manglers, drag them to a flame trap and block. Fighting those assholes is not a whole lot of fun.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bashez posted:

Spears do indeed own. Pro tip for manglers, drag them to a flame trap and block. Fighting those assholes is not a whole lot of fun.

Do you get XP for trap killing mobs? I assume as long as you hit them it's fine.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Looks real nice, but I can't install it for some reason.

No matter how much space I free up it keeps telling me to free up 111mb where the game will be installed. Makes no loving sense. Is this a problem for anyone else?

E: It says 113 115 mb now

E2: It goes up everytime I open the thing

E3: Fixed after a very lengthy conversion with Sony Customer Support

Highblood fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 9, 2013

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
I can't figure out if the decoy skill is a one point wonder or not- On one hand. It's a pocket tank that taunts everything around you when you use it and gets you out of some -rough- situations as a thief. On the other hand.. I think adding points doesn't really boost it because the taunt duration doesn't go up to match the duration of the decoy- Or does it?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Release has been pushed back to the 30th.

I don't have hopes of supremely competent management I just want to squeeze some fun out of the drat game already.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

I am looking forward to being frustrated by this game. Trying to get friends to try it with me but they don't like the idea of permadeath so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've made plans with two of my friends to give this game a shot. I'll definitely come back in here and post my character name, because this does not sound like a game for soloing.

Also, am I wrong in thinking that this game looks like it would be benefit from a controller? Especially as it's ported from japan, I keep expecting to hear that it was originally designed that way.

• Locked thread