Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

pctD posted:

It crashes, but it autosaves every move. I've never lost any progress because of a crash. I'm not trying to say that its a perfect situation but it works and the reviews don't paint the whole picture.

I will grant that, but the price of an app is inversely proportional to my willingness to suffer through problems that app has.

Especially since I have a gameboy micro with FFTA sitting in my coat pocket :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
May I presume that if sending a PM and handful of emails about the writing gig resulted in months of silence, I shouldn't bother this time?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bummey posted:

Look at how wrong this guy is. Dungeon Village is great

I've been playing the hell out of it. I read a bit about people getting stuck later on, but I think they must have totally hosed the goat when it came to upgrading their adventurers or something.

Anyways, it also runs on Ye Olde iPod 2nd Gen so if you're a iPod hobo like me scraping by on four year old equipment, it's a really good title for that.

edit: I really should make up a list of actual fun games which still work on retardedly old hardware running an obsolete iOS. Any interest in that, or am I the only one looking for this stuff?

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 3, 2013

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

^^^ the issue is one of the town rank upgrades, which requires what's really a quite high monthly income for where you are. Fortunately, you get the circus right around then, which makes hella money.

io_burn posted:

Keep in mind, willingness to stick around is the most important qualification. I've been dealing with this really irritating trend recently of people just vanishing shortly after I get their paperwork all set up. I think three of our best writers had zero pre-TouchArcade games writing experience beyond just being forum posters here and other places.

I used to write for JayIsGames back in late high school/early college freelance, and I've been meaning to get back on board. I can't guarantee too much in terms of time per week, but I'll stick around for a good while, probably. I'll shoot you an email in a bit.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

delfin posted:

May I presume that if sending a PM and handful of emails about the writing gig resulted in months of silence, I shouldn't bother this time?
I applied in May and was told to expect an email with contract paperwork in it shortly. I'm beginning to think I may have been friendzoned :(

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

I was debating getting this but the fact that all of the most recent reviews are 1-star "THIS APP CRASHES" and it hasn't been updated since March keeps warding me off.

I started yesterday and having real difficulty seeing things and using the interface on the iPhone 5.

Think I chose wrongly

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
For what it's worth, I would happily hire both delfin and TACD to write for my website, if I had one. They're both extremely bright and excellent writers.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

TACD posted:

I applied in May and was told to expect an email with contract paperwork in it shortly. I'm beginning to think I may have been friendzoned :(

Oh poo poo. :(

Let's do it this time, both of you. We get absolutely inundated with idiots sending me dumb things that all sorts of stuff gets lost in my email all the time.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I was debating getting this but the fact that all of the most recent reviews are 1-star "THIS APP CRASHES" and it hasn't been updated since March keeps warding me off.

It's crashed a few times so far on my iPad, but when I open the app again it picks up right where I left off, even in the middle of a battle. It all takes about 10 seconds. It's a bit of an annoyance, but I've lost no data so far and am loving the game. I haven't played it in 15 years and forgot how good it was.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Beelzebozo posted:

For what it's worth, I would happily hire both delfin and TACD to write for my website, if I had one. They're both extremely bright and excellent writers.
Not sure what I've ever written on the forums that deserves this praise, but thanks :3:

io_burn posted:

Oh poo poo. :(

Let's do it this time, both of you. We get absolutely inundated with idiots sending me dumb things that all sorts of stuff gets lost in my email all the time.
I would love to but I'm no longer in a position where I can set aside enough time to do the job justice. I will let you know if that changes though :)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

delfin posted:

I'm in the same boat, although it may have been because I was stuck on a 3GS. I have an iPhone 5 now, though, so I'll submit for a third time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I will grant that, but the price of an app is inversely proportional to my willingness to suffer through problems that app has.

Especially since I have a gameboy micro with FFTA sitting in my coat pocket :ninja:

Why would you willingly own a copy of FFTA? At least replace it with a copy of TO:Knight of Lodis, AKA the game FFTA wants to be.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been playing the hell out of it. I read a bit about people getting stuck later on, but I think they must have totally hosed the goat when it came to upgrading their adventurers or something.

Enemies jump in strength and some adventurers simply never catch up enough and end up sitting dead more often than they're alive and if/when your stronger adventurers clear the fight they waste time carrying said dead weight to town.

Plus you can end up in situations where everyone's in a big fight and KO'd, only to be immediately KO'd when they get up because half a dozen monsters are on top of them and you're stuck waiting for them to all despawn, yet even the strongest bosses drop faster and easier than most multi-enemy fights with the late game stuff. It's a neat game but the balance leaves a lot to be desired in that aspect. I can see people getting pretty hosed if they're in the mass-KO situation when a boss shows up, making them sit unable to do anything for awhile as their town's stats get ruined.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why would you willingly own a copy of FFTA? At least replace it with a copy of TO:Knight of Lodis, AKA the game FFTA wants to be.

Because the FFTA series is the bee's knees, that's why. :colbert: I had something like 500 hours logged on my FFTA cart, over the course of 4 or 5 complete games. Mostly because I got stuck in a revolving door where I didn't have the quest items I needed to move on, but never got the missions that rewarded those quest items either. FFTA2 wasn't as good, but I still played it a lot.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Bummey posted:

Because the FFTA series is the bee's knees, that's why. :colbert: I had something like 500 hours logged on my FFTA cart, over the course of 4 or 5 complete games. Mostly because I got stuck in a revolving door where I didn't have the quest items I needed to move on, but never got the missions that rewarded those quest items either. FFTA2 wasn't as good, but I still played it a lot.

I always felt like the only person who loved the law system. I think restrictions can add a lot of variety to gameplay, especially a genre that can grow stale as quickly as RPGs. Of course, sometimes you get a No Damage Against Monsters (or something similar) law that totally ruins your ability to fight. I was a little sad when FFTA2 dumped it.

Sent an email for the TouchArcade job! I haven't applied for a job I really wanted since I was 18.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Enemies jump in strength and some adventurers simply never catch up enough and end up sitting dead more often than they're alive and if/when your stronger adventurers clear the fight they waste time carrying said dead weight to town.

Plus you can end up in situations where everyone's in a big fight and KO'd, only to be immediately KO'd when they get up because half a dozen monsters are on top of them and you're stuck waiting for them to all despawn, yet even the strongest bosses drop faster and easier than most multi-enemy fights with the late game stuff. It's a neat game but the balance leaves a lot to be desired in that aspect. I can see people getting pretty hosed if they're in the mass-KO situation when a boss shows up, making them sit unable to do anything for awhile as their town's stats get ruined.

Yeah, this is specifically the stuff I read people complaining about, and frankly it was only a minor issue for a little bit in the late mid-game.

I've beaten it twice now and really if you're having this problem consistently you're cocking up your adventurers somehow, either through lack of developing them (special events pay off big on this), lack of proper equipment, or poor choices of their 2nd/3rd/etc profession.

loving up your annual medal rewards can also contribute pretty significantly to this.

Just my two cents. I love the game and have a ton of fun with it. It has a few flaws, but nothing as show stopping as what I've read some people claim.

I really feel like a lot of people don't use the consumables you can buy to full advantage, either. You'd be amazed how much more cash your buildings bring in when you start getting really aggressive about upgrading their income and desirability with the more expensive commodities.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Welp, people in this thread spamming Happy Street challenge requests made me have to disable all Game Center notifications. It's the equivalent of spamming your Facebook friends with Mafia Wars invites, except there's no way to specifically block it.

On another note, is the FFIV port really as good as the guy who reviewed it on TouchArcade said? I was tempted to buy it but Square Enix prices always make me think twice.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just my two cents. I love the game and have a ton of fun with it. It has a few flaws, but nothing as show stopping as what I've read some people claim.

That's great and all, but I just got ths game and while I'm enjoying it, I have no idea what I am doing. I didn't realize you could screw up 2nd professions and medals. I have an aversion to looking up a wiki for every iOS game I install. Guess I'll just run into that wall when it comes.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Welp, people in this thread spamming Happy Street challenge requests made me have to disable all Game Center notifications. It's the equivalent of spamming your Facebook friends with Mafia Wars invites, except there's no way to specifically block it.

On another note, is the FFIV port really as good as the guy who reviewed it on TouchArcade said? I was tempted to buy it but Square Enix prices always make me think twice.

There is a lets play of that version going on if you want to check the voice acting and the higher difficulty. It also an amazing lets play
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509586

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Heh, I just did the same a couple of hours ago. I don't even know what that game is but I have got like 5 notifications about it a day for the last few weeks.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
People use Happy Street challenges? Maybe it's because I've gotten most of the achievements for it (which is really sad), but I can't use it.

io_burn posted:

Keep in mind, willingness to stick around is the most important qualification. I've been dealing with this really irritating trend recently of people just vanishing shortly after I get their paperwork all set up. I think three of our best writers had zero pre-TouchArcade games writing experience beyond just being forum posters here and other places.
That's good to know! If the experience isn't a massive concern, I'll probably be able to lend a hand come September-ish, since I don't think the age requirement can really be waived. If it isn't a massive deal, I'll stick an application in; if it is, c'est la vie.

Ursine Asylum posted:

In many respects, it seems to have understood the crashing issue and dealt with it appropriately. People giving it one-star reviews for crashing don't address the fact that in combat, you are back at the beginning of your turn and the text-based cutscenes are speedy and are mostly can be skipped. From an iPhone 4s, it controls fairly well as well.

Again, it's expensive enough that I can't wholeheartedly recommend it. But if you're on the fence and can afford it, I'd say "go for it".

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Allan Assiduity posted:

In many respects, it seems to have understood the crashing issue and dealt with it appropriately. People giving it one-star reviews for crashing don't address the fact that in combat, you are back at the beginning of your turn and the text-based cutscenes are speedy and are mostly can be skipped. From an iPhone 4s, it controls fairly well as well.

Well, dealing with it appropriately would involve figuring out why the crashes occur and fixing them, but credit is due for implementing a frustration-minimizing workaround.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

The rear end Stooge posted:

Well, dealing with it appropriately would involve figuring out why the crashes occur and fixing them, but credit is due for implementing a frustration-minimizing workaround.
Given that it's Square-Enix, I'm surprised there isn't £10 DLC for the crash fix :v:

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached

I'm sure my opinion doesn't matter much since I wrote that review, but I really, really like the port. Crashes very little, no slow-down at all, graphics look great and the remake retains a lot of the charm from the original.

Of course this could be nostalgia based, but I clocked in 15+ hours on my play through for that review and never really had an issue with it. Only downside is the price.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
EDITED

Dvlos fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 3, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wow, I got Tetris twice in a row on that EA Daily Spin thing and was met with this message:

Daily Spin posted:

Since you've already won:
Tetris

We're giving you this game instead:
Mass Effect Infiltrator
Never would've expected them to handle repeat apps like that. Awesome :)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
What are some of the best iOS management sims available? Football Manager is the obvious choice, although the price makes me hesitant, but I'm looking for similar long term management games (that aren't necessarily sports.)

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Foul Fowl posted:

What are some of the best iOS management sims available? Football Manager is the obvious choice, although the price makes me hesitant, but I'm looking for similar long term management games (that aren't necessarily sports.)

It could probably be argued in regards to if they are actually a "management sim", but you may want to check out some of the Kairosoft offerings. While they aren't exactly long term simulations, it is fun to manage whatever the specific game sets forth. I still play Game Dev Story almost every day.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Foul Fowl posted:

Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes

Only downside with these two is that it's impossible to lose.

Are still really fun games that will keep you coming back for a couple months, but there's no threat of failure or any pressure to perform well.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Foul Fowl posted:

New Star Soccer!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Bummey posted:

New Star Soccer!

As much as I love the game, me winning the Premier League title by 18 or so points with my beloved Nottingham Forest a mere 3 years into a game perhaps disqualifies it somewhat from a discussion about "sims" :v:

I've heard mention of http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/iootp-baseball-game/ more than once, although I seem to recall some differings on which years version people should look at. I'm from the wrong side of the ocean to appreciate it myself but it does look very Football manager-y from the screenshots at least.

Fifa 13 supposedly has a decent managerial mode but I ended up deleting it off my ipad before I gave it a proper run due to me constantly being space starved on a 16gig device.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

If you use Chrome in Incognito mode, you can keep spinning until you...don't get Lemonade Tycoon.

Got skate it and Tetris. Thanks! :shobon:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

I'm still having bunch of fun with Dungeon Village.

I got that Lemonade Tycoon game for free via the EA slot machine promo and it's pretty decent too. I don't know how long term it is, but it's not super-short term at the very least.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm still having bunch of fun with Dungeon Village.

I liked that game but there's not much to manage, it's super shallow & easy once you figure out that building less buildings and boosting them with the appropiate items > building more buildings. You'll have everyone as Kairobots (sp?) rather quickly and then there's nothing left to do.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

heiden posted:

I liked that game but there's not much to manage, it's super shallow & easy once you figure out that building less buildings and boosting them with the appropiate items > building more buildings. You'll have everyone as Kairobots (sp?) rather quickly and then there's nothing left to do.

Yeah, I just beat the game. Well, I think I beat it. I got my village up to 5 stars. Yay! Now I just need to figure out how to use the things I unlocked. Are the Kairobots a new class?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
I'm going to ask this again:

I finally beat Escape from Rosecliff Island with the wife unit, loved it, I was looking for more hidden object games in this vein, (not story driven rpg or anything more Escape from.. style)?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Welp, people in this thread spamming Happy Street challenge requests made me have to disable all Game Center notifications.
I think it was just one guy...I defriended him and the madness stopped. The idea that you can get so much spam for a game you don't even have installed just blows my mind.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Kekekela posted:

I think it was just one guy...I defriended him and the madness stopped. The idea that you can get so much spam for a game you don't even have installed just blows my mind.

Note to self: Put this in all my old games before Apple bans the practice.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Bummey posted:

New Star Soccer!
Can't recommend this enough. So loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Dvlos posted:

I'm going to ask this again:

I finally beat Escape from Rosecliff Island with the wife unit, loved it, I was looking for more hidden object games in this vein, (not story driven rpg or anything more Escape from.. style)?

Check out games made by Big Fish Games inc. They have an immense library of games just like that.

• Locked thread