Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
So I finally wound up with a Vita for Christmas, meaning I got to bust open Persona 4, throw the sexy decal on and get into it. 26 hours later, I just beat Shadow Teddie, and I had forgotten how loving cool that thing looks. Also, is there an ideal party member line-up, or does it basically not matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

HarkToTheLoons posted:

So I finally wound up with a Vita for Christmas, meaning I got to bust open Persona 4, throw the sexy decal on and get into it. 26 hours later, I just beat Shadow Teddie, and I had forgotten how loving cool that thing looks. Also, is there an ideal party member line-up, or does it basically not matter?

I adamantly believe that the ideal plan is to level up your entire party so you can match any challenge. (This is not a difficult task like it sounds, low leveled dudes gain exp super fast)

But really, no, just use who you want. The MC can fill any holes in your set up, so you really don't have to put a lot of thought into it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So long as you have one of the two dedicated healers in your party you're fine. Sure, you could go with a straight damage line-up and have your MC healing, but the fact of the matter is with the right persona it's hideously easy for him to outstrip the damage of everyone else, so you don't really want him wasted on healbot duty.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Endorph posted:

So long as you have one of the two dedicated healers in your party you're fine. Sure, you could go with a straight damage line-up and have your MC healing, but the fact of the matter is with the right persona it's hideously easy for him to outstrip the damage of everyone else, so you don't really want him wasted on healbot duty.

Not that it's a bad plan to have a Mediarahan handy anyway. Hell, the protagonist can do a lot with his Personas and switch on the fly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
An argument has been made for pretty much every possible party in this thread at the very least. First decision is Chie or Kanji, then later whether Teddie is worthwhile despite having a limited S. Link, and then finally whether you want to insert Naoto in somewhere.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

HarkToTheLoons posted:

Also, is there an ideal party member line-up, or does it basically not matter?

Like others have said, you can totally beat the game with any party composition. But I always found it's safe to go with something like...

Group A: Yosuke or Naoto (All-rounded supporters)
Group B: Chie or Kanji (Physical damage dealers)
Group C: Teddie or Yukiko (Dedicated healers)

Pick one character from each group, whichever character you prefer, and you'll be able to tackle anything.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HarkToTheLoons posted:

Everyone is usable, but I would recommend a party with a dual attack. Yosuke and Teddie, Chie and Yukiko and Kanji and Naoto have one. I suppose they're not really necessary, but they are pretty cool. I always got pumped when Beauty and the Beast came out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not having Twin Dragons is probably the only thing I regret about using Kanji. I guess you could argue that they're mostly useful for cleaning up golden hands, though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 3, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nessa posted:

Everyone is usable, but I would recommend a party with a dual attack. Yosuke and Teddie, Chie and Yukiko and Kanji and Naoto have one. I suppose they're not really necessary, but they are pretty cool. I always got pumped when Beauty and the Beast came out.

They are pretty cool until the 30th time you've seen the same animation and you just want to skip it because it takes too long. Still worth it to bring a viable combination along though, for the extra damage.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I brought Chie and Kanji for most of my hard run so far. There's just something about Yosuke where he just sucks a ton through the mid game for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

Sure, you could go with a straight damage line-up and have your MC healing

Can, did, will do it again. Chie/Kanji/Naoto for life.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

They are pretty cool until the 30th time you've seen the same animation and you just want to skip it because it takes too long. Still worth it to bring a viable combination along though, for the extra damage.

Not me! My two favourite characters making a giant skull come out of the ground to kill things never gets old.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Nessa posted:

Not me! My two favourite characters making a giant skull come out of the ground to kill things never gets old.

Personally I love their roll+poses to start it off.
But yeah Just finished Jan and I've been rocking Yukiko, Kanji, and Naoto.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

My first runthrough I did every dungeon in one day and used Chie/Yukiko/Kanji the whole time. Chie and Kanji just loving destroyed everything, and Yukiko made the team all but invincible, though Chie got a little weak at the end. Not so weak that I didn't have much trouble with the final boss though. Some of the enemy groups in the last dungeon are annoying with such a phys-heavy team but I still managed to plow through.

That said for shits and giggles on NG+ I got the best weapons available and put my damage to low and damage taken to high and holy hell is the Chie's Persona fight at the beginning of the game suddenly hard! It seems your level matters way more than the weapon does.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I personally never used Teddie and stopped using Yosuke after I got Kanji. Not that I don't like Teddie but Chie and Yukiko can easily cover his function well enough (ice moves + healing moves) and have better attacks as you level them up. After Shadow Mitsuo I managed to beat every boss battle on the first try and spend no more than two game days doing it by just using Chie+Yukiko+Kanji (sometimes swapped with Naoto). I also find that as soon as Yukiko gets the better healing moves she can pretty much work as a healer on her own, providing the occasional fire move if need be. Naoto is especially great for doing quick battle sweeps with her maha+mudo moves and since she resists both light and dark there is no chance the attack might backfire and kill her. Not to mention beginning on your team with Megido and powerful single hit fire and wind moves. She's much better as a rounded character than Yosuke by far. Chie starts of in the beginning of the game as a glass canon (high attack, low defense) but when you get past level 40 with her she becomes a tank. I like Kanji too but his hit rate is not really that great in my opinion.

That said the Naoto+Kanji team move does way better damage than the Yukiko+Chie team move from my experience and I think looks way cooler.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Throwing my hat in for Chie/Yukiko/Kanji. Two physical based party members really helps a lot mid to late game, especially with clearing golden hands letting everything else become kind of a joke.

Yukiko is just ridiculously good. What she lacks in one category (Physical attack) she makes up for with an insane move set and ridiculous amounts of SP. Seriously, one day I should try playing without her but she's just so drat good.

ShadeofDante fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 3, 2013

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie was a solid party for me. Yosuke's Garu spells did pretty good damage, his physical moves were useful, and the Sukukaja spells helped a lot with hitting golden hands. Teddie was a good healer and buffer, and Kanji just wrecked everything with Power Charge and Primal Force.

I rotated between all of the characters though, thanks to the overabundance of golden hands.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
My first run settled with Chie/Kanji/Naoto. MC had to do surprisingly little healing, aside from bosses. (Though I did lose my nerve on the November dungeon and brought in a under-leveled Yukiko for healing. Not that it helped any, she dropped like a rock almost every round.)

But for NG+ I roped in Yukiko/Teddie/Naoto. There's no bonus almighty combo, but a Yukiko built solely for damage is the stuff of dreams. Amagidyne all day, e'rry day.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
SO I'm stuck in a weird conundrum in game.

It's early December. I'm trying to finish the Moon S. Link. I was already in a relationship going into this, and I apparently inadvertently ended up in a relationship with Ai? Is it possible to max this link and then fix things before Christmas?

Also, only in a loving Japanese high school RPG sim game would this poo poo occur. Absolutely love the game though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Can, did, will do it again. Chie/Kanji/Naoto for life.

This is seriously Team The Best Characters. You don't need a healer if nothing lives long enough to damage you.

Edit:

ShadeofDante posted:

It's early December. I'm trying to finish the Moon S. Link. I was already in a relationship going into this, and I apparently inadvertently ended up in a relationship with Ai? Is it possible to max this link and then fix things before Christmas?

In cases where you have more than one relationship, you'll get a choice.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 3, 2013

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

ShadeofDante posted:

SO I'm stuck in a weird conundrum in game.

Also, only in a loving Japanese high school RPG sim game would this poo poo occur. Absolutely love the game though.

Ai's friend route is different in that you have to agree to be her girlfriend at rank 4. Things eventually don't work out, and you eventually end up just being friends at Rank 8 or 9. If you don't want to be her girlfriend early in the link, then...well...yeah.

Let the sparks fly, friend.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lotus circle posted:

She's much better as a rounded character than Yosuke by far.
I would disagree with this. Yosuke is probably the second best mage behind Yukiko, and as such can sweep away entire battles alongside her with an Amp+Boost Magarudyne on topping of getting turns before everyone else thanks to his high agility. Then you have Masukukaja, which is delicious when paired with Debilitate or Sakunda (not to mention much more necessary now that you can't cover weaknesses). Although this isn't Nocturne, Dekaja is quite useful especially against golden hands. Even Brave Blade is good in a pinch if the enemy has wind resistance and Matarukaja has been cast. And if you get Youthful Wind, all of a sudden Yukiko pretty much never has to heal anymore. I would argue that Yosuke is the second best character in the game behind Yukiko.

E: However one strategy that I can see working quite well with Naoto is having her on exclusive Heat Riser duty. I know I was just down on Heat Riser earlier, but if you aren't using Masukukaja it kind of makes sense. Since she has no weaknesses she's probably going to last longer than the others anyway. That way Kanji wouldn't have to waste a turn on Matarukaja, so you could just have her cast Heat Riser when either he or the MC are Power Charging/Debilitating.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 3, 2013

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Oh my God, the beach trip is the absolute best. If Kanji wasn't already my favorite character, he drat well would be now.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm literally on the last day (of the true end) and I'm wondering if I should try and complete the bulk of the compendium before going on to a new game + playthrough? Because I'm thinking that it would be less grinding/time considering that all my social links are maxed out now. I'm thinking it's a better idea to get that out of the way so I don't have to waste time in the next playthrough doing social links to gain bonus exp or being unable to fuse due to a low level. What do you guys think?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

FauxGateau posted:

I'm literally on the last day (of the true end) and I'm wondering if I should try and complete the bulk of the compendium before going on to a new game + playthrough? Because I'm thinking that it would be less grinding/time considering that all my social links are maxed out now. I'm thinking it's a better idea to get that out of the way so I don't have to waste time in the next playthrough doing social links to gain bonus exp or being unable to fuse due to a low level. What do you guys think?

In NG+ you can adjust how much money/exp you earn. So it's waaay easier to do crazy fusions then.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FauxGateau posted:

If there is no conceivable way to finish the compendium (as in, you haven't maxed all of your links) you might as well put it off until NG+. Just fuse up Lucifer to get Victory Cry to make dungeon crawling easier and call it a day.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

FauxGateau posted:

I'm thinking it's a better idea to get that out of the way so I don't have to waste time in the next playthrough doing social links to gain bonus exp or being unable to fuse due to a low level.

You'll need to farm a lot of hands. It's a pretty big slog, even with Yoshi and everyone maxed. Magatsu Mandala 3 is your friend for hand farming. I'd say it took four hours just doing that plus the sale of all but a small portion of equipment/items/materials to fill out the compendium. Depending on how complete your compendium is this may be easier or harder for you.

Unless you have video game ocd it won't matter and all you'll get is a summoning discount and a trophy with the promise of another trophy on NG+.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Larsson posted:

Ai's friend route is different in that you have to agree to be her girlfriend at rank 4. Things eventually don't work out, and you eventually end up just being friends at Rank 8 or 9. If you don't want to be her girlfriend early in the link, then...well...yeah.

Let the sparks fly, friend.

loving hell I just passed this part and I said she ought to think about it because I'm already in a relationship with Marie!

I wanted to max all the Social Links this playthrough :negative:

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 3, 2013

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Rasamune posted:

loving hell I just passed this part and I said she ought to think about it because I'm already in a relationship with Marie!

I wanted to max all the Social Links this playthrough :negative:

Well, I believe you can have Marie as a girlfriend and not get in trouble if you're dating someone else on Valentine's Day, so you might actually be in luck. Marie is the only one this rule applies to, though.

Also, I don't see why it would gently caress up your social links.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Larsson posted:

Well, I believe you can have Marie as a girlfriend and not get in trouble if you're dating someone else on Valentine's Day, so you might actually be in luck. Marie is the only one this rule applies to, though.

Also, I don't see why it would gently caress up your social links.

Isn't the only choice to go Lovers or Broken at the end of this route in Ai's S-Link? Can you repair a broken S-Link?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Rasamune posted:

Isn't the only choice to go Lovers or Broken at the end of this route in Ai's S-Link? Can you repair a broken S-Link?

Well, if you're on the Lovers route then I'm not quite sure (I've only done the friend route, but I remember it being possible to break the link then). I believe Marie's Valentine date is separate from everyone else's so I don't believe you would get hosed on 2/14. I understand if you want to break it off (ye old faithful) but I'm not sure it would damage you. Then again, you might want someone else to confirm for you.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 3, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Remember that this isn't Persona 3, there are no real repercussions for dating everyone at once.

E: Also I'm pretty sure you can reject her in the final social link event on the Lovers route and it won't break/reverse.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Rasamune posted:

You're never forced to choose between Lovers and Broken with Ai's route you can end up friends with both paths. If you made the choice early then it'll happen by itself and if you went into the route that leads to Lovers later on you can just turn her down and still max out the link. I may be remembering wrong but getting Broken on that link requires you to make a specific, avoidable choice so you shouldn't worry about it.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Strange, I don't remember it being that way in the original. Guess I'll see for myself in a few days.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Meiteron posted:

You're never forced to choose between Lovers and Broken with Ai's route you can end up friends with both paths. If you made the choice early then it'll happen by itself and if you went into the route that leads to Lovers later on you can just turn her down and still max out the link. I may be remembering wrong but getting Broken on that link requires you to make a specific, avoidable choice so you shouldn't worry about it.

All right, thanks for the clarification. The online guide I've been using is really confusing about this S-Link

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
If there's one thing I do remember you have to be completely loving dense in order to pick the choice that breaks the link.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

If you're worried about the lover event in February, I would like to point out that the only hearts you break are your party members. You can freely date Sun, Moon and Aeon and then ignore them on Valentine's and you don't have to see them cry or whatever

I of course know this because I dated everyone like a real dog.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I always feel like scum anyway when I turn down every single request to go out on Sundays. And Nanako is always looking at me with puppy dog eyes when I won't hold her hand every time I talk to her.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
I'm still kind of upset that missing one drat choice early in Naoto's link kept her from being dateable. Still, because of it I got to have those fun 'bromance' moments with the guys instead of the date events, plus I ended up with Marie which feels like the right choice.

Sometimes things just work out.

(Plus you can just youtube the couple of dating events for all the characters. Chie has the slickest kimono.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rascyc posted:

I always feel like scum anyway when I turn down every single request to go out on Sundays.

It's easy enough for me because of one shining beacon.

Yes I know I have more times to watch it but he sold me a Growth 2 card! How could I not but from him ASAP?

• Locked thread