Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

orenronen posted:

Everyone, quiet down!
U...!

I suddenly... couldn’t help but shut up. So, that's the power of royalty...
She may be a princess, but clearly she's also been trained by the Bene Gesserit. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
All right. The weather just changing on a dime reinforces all the more my theory that this is a computer simulation with artificial version of the DR1 cast blended and reformed into new 'shapes': even if you could control the weather, you can't just change it like flipping a switch. Based on that and Monobear's seeming return, my theory...

Monobear and Monomi are the same 'person': Monobear has replicated both himself and a more subtle, disguised version of himself. His precise clone will serve as the seeming antagonist, and Monomi will serve as the subtly manipulating under the guise of supposed good intentions poison pill among the cast. I believe this due to several things

1) All the stuff Monomi's done about friendship and hope. Subtracting the comedy, it really comes off as someone trying WAY too hard to say 'I am a good person and not a villain'

2) She either already has a-yet-to-be-revealed or gets a split colour scheme like Monobear, as the Spike Chunsoft screen shows

3) Giving the kids their own 'Monobear' to help them oppose 'Original Monobear' seems counterproductive to the story. The DR1 cast just had themselves, and they beat Junko all by themselves. Giving them an opposing aid would wreck the potential for drama...unless Monomi is also there to work against them. Think about it. Monobear in DR1 tried to divide the group and get them to kill each other off, but after Celeste he hit a brick wall; Sakura killed herself as a sacrifice instead and the rest of the group united against him, exposing Junko as the mastermind and driving her to her own doom via her own creeds. Monobear won't want THAT happening again, but he may have figured out that while you can, to paraphrase Honest Abe, turn some people against themselves all of the time and all of the people some of the time, eventually the group will potentially recognize the outside manipulating force and unite against it. Ergo, the best way to destroy a group and prove the power of despair is to undermine any chance they have at becoming friends/allies, even if you have to go to ridiculous lengths to do it.

Which, of course, shows just how fragile the power of despair can be: perhaps that will be pointed out in the endgame how many hoops Monobear had to jump through to get anything remotely what he wanted or believed...

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
There's a spelling error in the update, Sonia says "Fom how Togami-san spoke, what he found must not be a good thing." Fom should be From

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

i wish i knew who changed my avatar so i could marry them

DeathBySpoon posted:

Something no one has pointed out yet- Monobear shows up almost immediately after half of our cast goes off camera where we can't account for them. If one of our students is controlling him like last time, I'd bet it's one of the ones that don't stay behind.

You have a point there. Personally, I'm suspicious of Nagito, but that seems too obvious. There's also Ibuki, who I have my doubts about. She seems too perky.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Gaulems posted:

Who do you guys want to see become bros? Personally I want to see some out-of-the-ordinary friendships. Maybe Nekomaru and Hiyoko or Sonia and Gundam.

I don't know if it counts, but I want to see Fatogami and Kuzuryuu verbally sniping each other at every turn.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'd like to point out that "Papua Island" in your update could possibly be "Papuwa Island", the fictional remote island in 南国少年パプワくん. They've been harping on the southern islands thing for a while and all.

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

Monobear and Monomi are the same 'person': Monobear has replicated both himself and a more subtle, disguised version of himself. His precise clone will serve as the seeming antagonist, and Monomi will serve as the subtly manipulating under the guise of supposed good intentions poison pill among the cast. I believe this due to several things

I'm really hoping something like this is true. Everyone is already suspicious of Usami, though, so who knows what effect it will end up having. What I thought the game was going for when Usami first introduced herself was sort of a flipside of the original, showing how fragile the power of hope can be through Usami's example. Maybe it's even Naegi controlling Usami somehow, like Junko did Monobear. Whatever the answer is, I'm sure it will be awesome, and I doubt we'll guess what it is.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Gaulems posted:

In the last game, some characters gravitated more towards others. Ex: Sakura to Aoi, Hifumi to Celes, Ishimaru to Mondo.

Who do you guys want to see become bros? Personally I want to see some out-of-the-ordinary friendships. Maybe Nekomaru and Hiyoko or Sonia and Gundam.

I want Sonia to stick to the main two as close as she can because god drat, the girl's going to end up getting herself hurt or worse. :stare:
Chiaki's all right too. Gundam and Souda seem like they might get along, and Souda in general seems like a nice guy.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Kind of interesting she's (er- Akane, that is. All the evidence she's Aoi is too circumstantial for me to commit to the idea but it's certainly interesting to pick at the similarities) just so gung-ho about swimming and then doesn't as soon as Usami tries to get the whole group to swim.

I'm starting to wonder how much truth there is to my half-serious previous musing on her being Aoi's delinquent daughter... :tinfoil:

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Another small typo:

orenronen posted:

So... could this island we're currently on be...
Jabberwock Island...?
Is that what's this island is called?

IT BEGINS :supaburn:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm pretty sure Ibuki will die before the end. I don't particularly want it to happen, but a character that references another anime in that way pretty much exists to die.

See, I have to disagree. I think she will survive to the end on one single meta-detail alone;

She has a ton of portraits. While the other characters seem to have two or three thus far, she has about somewhere around ten. Either the artist just had a ball of a time drawing her up (Which is plenty possible, though unlikely) or she has a lot of content because she'll be around.

Another meta-detail I have noticed is the full profile pictures provided in the second post. Half the characters have a directly obvious circle motif in their art, while the other half do not. I think it might be worth considering for any pet theories, but it's a completely half and half thing (Assuming we don't count Ibuki's hair, though it looks different enough to not.) so maybe it's nothing.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I really hope royal, polite, but a little daft Sonia starts befriending blue-collar smart easygoing Souda. :3:

(This means I don't want them to be friends, because I don't need a repeat of ANIKIII!!)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Usami has gone to find Monobear, and we know of a "Monomi"...I have a bad feeling that Usami is going to be corrupted by Monobear or something.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Ugh, I can't stand Tsumiki at all. She is far worse than ultragoon or ultragoon v2.0 could ever dream of being. I hope she dies or has a huge personality change as soon as possible.

Ibuki on the other hand :allears:

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

Gaulems posted:

In the last game, some characters gravitated more towards others. Ex: Sakura to Aoi, Hifumi to Celes, Ishimaru to Mondo.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing who (if anyone) hangs around Teruteru. I predict that he'll probably be chasing around all of the females at one point or another. Gundam and Him are shaping up to be my favorite male characters in the game so far.

i300 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 3, 2013

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Oh my God I am just so pleased to finally catch up and see everyone and that beach picture is just adorable and :syoon:.

Something about the choice of animals in the statue is picking at me. Eagle, man, horse, tiger, snake... unless I'm missing an animal and the man counts with the horse? I am definitely reminded of the Chimera or Griffin, though, and I'm excited to see if that comes into play later.

Oh Togami. Good to see you too, you snotty bastard. I really want to see Kuzuryuu try to fight Togami. I seriously cannot wait. Their sniping is the best. W/r/t his weight gain... eh. It's possible, it's just not pleasant and often accomplished by medication or illness. I gained 50lbs in a year after developing a chronic pain condition. It happens. I'll just quietly speculate to myself what condition could be causing it, since this has been discussed to death.

Hiyoko and Teru are absolutely terrifying. He's a little more "haha what" now, though. Wide interests, indeed. Hiyoko is just straight up scary though. Smashing ants, trampling crabs, finding and killing tsuchinokos (no wonder they're cryptids, they're hiding from her). Kid's got empathy issues.

Poor Hinata. The very MOMENT he drops his guard... :doh:

Edit: clarifying and expanding.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 3, 2013

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

meteloides posted:

Hiyoko is just straight up scary though. Smashing ants, trampling crabs, finding and killing tsuchinokos (no wonder they're cryptids, they're hiding from her). Kid's got empathy issues.

That reminds me, shouldn't Hiyoko be punished for "destroying nature"--sure, they were ants, but still? Usami needs to do her job.:colbert:

Odd Lot
Feb 16, 2011
I like that Hinata is the only one to have a reasonable reaction towards what is basically a mass kidnapping. In general, I'm appreciating his more skeptical tone over Naegi's naivete, but both (judging Hinata so far), make good protagonists. Seriously though, if this wasn't ~anime~, I get the feeling people would be a whole lot more freaked out about waking up on a deserted island being run by a stuffed rabbit. Mysterious figure showing up does clear Usami of some suspicion at least, given her reaction, but with the facts everyone had at the time I think they accepted it all a little too readily.

If I had to put down a bet, I'd say Hanamura will die in the first chapter, because as amusingly creepy as it is his schtick seems like it would get really old played out over multiple chapters.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Never say "can't" in the presence of Nekomaru Nidai unless you are prepared to learn why you should have said "can" instead.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Teru and Sonia are the best. "Lower body, understood!" made me chuckle twice. I want them to develop a nice, solid cooperation in trials and murder cases based on Teru pointing out clues in his lower body now. :allears:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

orenronen posted:

I can't swim that far...!

“CAN’T”?! WHERE'S YOUR SPIRIT?!
Best part of the update right here.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the bit of the U.S. I grew up in, that gesture translates to "Up yours". Does it mean the same thing in Japan?
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw that pose is the "Zettai Yuru-Sanae" Touhou meme, so, maybe? Honestly not sure about its usage outside that meme and the original "Maji-Resu" one.

Conro101 posted:

As pumped as I am for Monobear, I gotta say I love how tinny the Usami Charms are. It sounds exactly like some cheap toy you'd get in a Happy Meal.
It actually reminds me of the plush straps you get with the limited edition of the game. My Monobear strap is pretty much the same thing, though it's probably much easier to do, so it might actually be even cheaper.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Bongo Bill posted:

Never say "can't" in the presence of Nekomaru Nidai unless you are prepared to learn why you should have said "can" instead.

I regret nothing!

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Omniphile posted:

I regret nothing!

This is great!

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Byakuya-chan :allears: so is Ibuki the new Touko? I don't like her so far, though, and hope she won't stick around for long.

RandomYoshi
Dec 28, 2012

^^^^Best GIF in the whole universe.

The communicative abilities and your comprehension of this user may or may not vary from day to day.

Omniphile posted:

I regret nothing!

And you know what? You shouldn't regret anything, either!

AND I WONDER WHO THAT MYSTERIOUS CHARACTER WAS :iiam:

Also, god drat it Oren, why are you so loving good at knowing where to cut everything off! Now I'm going to despair like crazy in wait for the next update.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Pointless theorizing time: So we have two mascots, one representing SHSL Despair, while the other represents SHSL Hope (if Usami isn't in on the whole thing), both battling for the lives of students who might be caught up in some kind of computer simulation? That would open the way to two solutions: Despair wins if the students succumb to killing each other, Hope, if they resist and gather all hope shards by working together. This sounds a lot like some kind of Purgatory...

Buonamico Buffalmacco: The Triumph of Death, (c. 1338-39). A late medieval vision of Judgement day, featuring the battle between angels and demons for the souls of mankind.

let's zoom in:

AHA!

(sorry my crappy photoshop skills make it look like Hinata is loving this poo poo)

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 3, 2013

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I can't see Usami as being opposed to Monobear. It's got to be a game of good cop/bad cop. Even if the game didn't spoil us right away on the existence of Monomi, or show us that army of evil red-eyed Usamis in the opening, her theme music is just too creepy for a benevolent character. Also, the fact that this batch of students has also had their memories toyed with makes it hard to believe there was ever a good intention behind this field trip.

I'm also super excited to see Monobear show up. I was being so patient and laid-back till now, thinking I'm going to just chill and not obsessively check for updates, but after this one... the cliffhangers are back in full force and I'm going rabid like it was Chapter 5.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yay finally some interaction between the whole cast. This is where things get good. I love how Dangan Ronpa is already playing with the horndog stereotype. And Coach giant is my favorite guy in the cast.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
He may be an utter bastard, but I was surprised by how much my heart soared when I heard Monobear's voice again. Monobear's back, hurray!

Sindai posted:

She may be a princess, but clearly she's also been trained by the Bene Gesserit. :tinfoil:

She's a SHSL Princess. When she says "jump" commoners are halfway to the moon before she finishes speaking.

Apathetic Panda
Nov 14, 2005

This is how we roll.

Black Feather posted:

Byakuya-chan :allears: so is Ibuki the new Touko? I don't like her so far, though, and hope she won't stick around for long.

Really? I want her to stick around as long as Togami does just so she can call him Byakuya-chan all the time and annoy the gently caress out of him.

I may be in the minority but I'm hoping Usami is completely innocent of wrong doing and is just a cute bunny who wanted to take them on vacation till Monobear comes in and messes that all up. Poor Usami. :(

Apathetic Panda fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 3, 2013

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
House will be possessed by the ghost of Junko and become the unwitting mastermind.

ultrakirby64
Dec 30, 2012
Ah finally Monobear is here! Now it's time to really start talking about Murder! And now I know the pain of Oren's cliffhangers. This is just gonna get worse as it goes along.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Most people have already said everything that needs to be said but man this game cast is shaping up to be even better than DR1 cast.

Gaulems posted:

Ibuki and Togami just because I want to see more "Byakuya-chan!!!" and him getting annoyed by it, and hey it's a step up from Fukawa.

I also want Gundam to see Souda without his hoodie on and start to hang out with him and try to train him just because he looks like a shark.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Been following both threads pretty avidly, being locked out from viewing them occasionally is what made me finally buy an account here after years of lurking! Thanks, orenronen.

Liking the new cast after some doubts about how over the top they were in some cases and flat out ripped from DR1 in others.

I'm betting this class were fired out of the school with a cuddly AI to look after them to camp out in a sunny paradise and broadcast to the world SHSL students are capable of living together without murdering each other, as a counter to Junko's game. Doesn't really explain how there's a fat-but-same Togami and Naegi's cousin/clone present either though.

RandomYoshi
Dec 28, 2012

^^^^Best GIF in the whole universe.

The communicative abilities and your comprehension of this user may or may not vary from day to day.

Gaulems posted:

Who do you guys want to see become bros?

I'd definitely like to see Fuyuhiko and Togami interacting more. Think of the countless stabs they'd make at each other. Fuyuhiko states something about his gangsters, Togami calls Fuyuhiko stupid and says something about his highly-controlling relatives, Fuyuhiko replies with anger, and massive hilarity ensues.

orenronen posted:

Hey, Nanami, aren't you going to swim?
No... I'm so sleepy I wouldn't be able to endure it...
I...I see... I guess it would be bad if you fall asleep in the middle of the ocean.
I will drown. Probably.
No, I think you'd definitely drown...

Still, anyone who can get so sleepy in a situation like this must have nerves of steel...

Being a good gamer actually requires you to have nerves of steel. If you freak out at something that's happening in a game, the chances that you'll succeed decreases. Being the SHSL Gamer, Chiaki presumably knows this. That's why she can keep her head cool in a situation like that, I'd guess.

metropoliszone
Oct 9, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

See, I have to disagree. I think she will survive to the end on one single meta-detail alone;

She has a ton of portraits. While the other characters seem to have two or three thus far, she has about somewhere around ten. Either the artist just had a ball of a time drawing her up (Which is plenty possible, though unlikely) or she has a lot of content because she'll be around.

Except Ishimaru had just as many, if not more, in Dangan Ronpa 1 and he was gone chapter 3. So I don't think number of portraits means anything at all.

Plus, I mean, look at her. Wouldn't you want to draw a ton of portraits for this chick?

Gaulems posted:

Souda and Gundam. Souda's a shark, goddammit. Gundam can train him to do flips out of the ocean.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Addendum

As you may have noticed, the game's story picked up automatically after I talked to three of the remaining students when the rest of the group ran off to change to their swimsuits. Here's what happens if you speak to the rest.

Don't talk to me.
Swimming in the ocean is... even more worthless than talking to you.
I can't be bothered with any of this...

I guess this is what you call a blunt person.

Huh, that's unexpected. She stayed here too... and after all the fuss she made earlier...

Hey, Owari, aren't you going to swim?

...Huh? ‘Course I am.
So, why didn't you go change to a swimsuit?

I don't need to. It's easier to just take off my clothes and go.
...But, what about the swimsuit?

Hey, hey, school swimsuits are way too embarrassing! No way I'm going swimming wearing that!

I think... her priorities are a little off.

Speaking of, here goes!

True to her words, Owari started stripp... Hey!

Wait! Such shameless behavior is fowbidden! If you want to swim, wear a proper swimsuit! Pwease!

...Oh, for god's... What a pain.

Pant... pant...

Oh? Aren't you going to swim, Hinata-kun?

Hmmmm... What should I do for you to believe in me...?

There's nothing you can do... how can I trust someone like you...?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Dias posted:

I want them to develop a nice, solid cooperation in trials and murder cases based on Teru pointing out clues in his lower body now. :allears:

Already been done with Yamada.
Anyway, this update really convinced me that DR2 is better than the original, more interesting characters and more interaction between them.

e: Okay, the previous update. Thanks orenronen :rolleyes:

e2: :stare: Akane

e3:

ChaosArgate posted:

Akane'a a bold one, isn't she? :stare:

Is it just me, or is Togami's reaction to the voice a little... subdued? I mean, shouldn't he recognize it?
Another fact in support of my prequel theory. :)

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 3, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Akane'a a bold one, isn't she? :stare:

Is it just me, or is Togami's reaction to the voice a little... subdued? I mean, shouldn't he recognize it?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So this is the second time Togami has some plot-revelant information that he doesn't share concerning something named after a fictional creature. He even uses the same phrasing as when he talked about Fenrir. It seems to be intentional, except earlier he was interrupted instead of just refusing to talk.

orenronen posted:

Addendum

Don't talk to me.
Swimming in the ocean is... even more worthless than talking to you.
I can't be bothered with any of this...

Crossdresser crossdresser crossdresser

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Crossdresser crossdresser crossdresser
They're making it so obvious I want it to be a fake out.

• Locked thread