Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The crossdressing thing is pretty ridiculous. The dude is wearing a full suit and a hat on a desert island, and he has made it clear that he hates pretty much everyone and just wants to be a gangster. That's sufficient explanation for not wanting to go swimming

In actuality he is a lizard person and doesn't want everyone to learn of his lizard person identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

Anime RPGs are serious business.
Ok people are grasping at straws at this point, I cannot believe "Kuzuryuu is a crossdresser" is actually still a theory. There's far more solid evidence against it than there is for it. I think it's entirely possible he doesn't want to swim because of body image issues, but moreso because he would probably look extra adorable and tiny in a swimsuit.

That said, on some level I think this theory is hilarious because of all the characters in this game, he would probably be the most upset by such claims.

e:

QuarkJets posted:

In actuality he is a lizard person and doesn't want everyone to learn of his lizard person identity

that made me laugh really hard, thank you.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
The sudden environmental switch while Hinata reached the verge of flipping out reminded me of this:

The First Update posted:

That has always been my one and only ambition...

That has always been my one and only ambition...

Always always always always always alwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwa

ysalwaysalwaysMeMyselfconsciousNonIndividualityembarrassinguniformityjustwhatHopeI

talent▲individualitybrokenPprobably■finallyIalways○DdomyBestmydreamcomestrue~+i*

Add to that the emphasis on 'video games' that someone else mentioned, as well as the twisted versions of the DR1 cast, and the simulation theory suddenly seems a lot more credible. I don't think Spike would pull something like that though; it would cheapen any inevitable deaths, unless there's some other twist involved.

Or maybe the thing in the first update was just a corrupted video someone was watching of Hinata. (Still going with our protagonist being a SHSL Fake)

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

i wish i knew who changed my avatar so i could marry them

Commandant posted:

Ok people are grasping at straws at this point, I cannot believe "Kuzuryuu is a crossdresser" is actually still a theory. There's far more solid evidence against it than there is for it. I think it's entirely possible he doesn't want to swim because of body image issues, but moreso because he would probably look extra adorable and tiny in a swimsuit.

That said, on some level I think this theory is hilarious because of all the characters in this game, he would probably be the most upset by such claims.

e:

that made me laugh really hard, thank you.

Usami probably gave him a little speedo with a ribbon on it.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

slowbeef posted:

...And someone get on explaining how the crossdressing thing is "obvious." Can't a guy just not want to swim?

Only thing I've picked up on about this is his face. He looks like he's constantly blushing and he has some rather notable (for lack of a better/less :can: word) eyelashes on some of his poses.
I cannot see any other support for this.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The sudden environmental switch while Hinata reached the verge of flipping out reminded me of this:

Add to that the emphasis on 'video games' that someone else mentioned, as well as the twisted versions of the DR1 cast, and the simulation theory suddenly seems a lot more credible. I don't think Spike would pull something like that though; it would cheapen any inevitable deaths, unless there's some other twist involved.

Or maybe the thing in the first update was just a corrupted video someone was watching of Hinata. (Still going with our protagonist being a SHSL Fake)

It's supposed to represent his memory being altered. It's more...er, obvious? than the previous game, but there is a thing to note: we saw Hinata actually enter the classroom, but not why it happened. Nobody else actually remembers entering the classroom. I don't think the memory altering here is perfect.

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy
Hey, hey, school swimsuits are way too embarrassing! No way I'm going swimming wearing that!

Speaking of, here goes!

-------------------------------

H...Hey! Wait!

The art is still great to look at. Every character has the best facial expressions, though I would say that Owari is first among equals.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
The cross-dressing thing feels obvious (or is being heavily hinted at as a red herring) because

The overt I'll kill you attitude. Yes he's a gangster but realistically aside from grunts, the leaders are seen as somewhat clever with a menacingly level of being threatening without having to constantly outwardly hold onto that level of malevolence.
A gang leader holds onto a menacing aura without having to hold the attitude "he's" holding.

A far as anime things go, this twist is rarely ever subtle as there are always hints, (take Naoto in persona 4 as an example). One of the biggest is usually a refusal to change clothing (obviously we'll see whether that holds true later)
Shockingly I feel it was perfectly subtle in DR1 which is why I'm hoping for red herring.

Unless they're trying as hard as they can to sell us the "aww so adowable" thing, it's likely a girl, because another hint towards the cross dressing thing is an trying really hard to adopt typical stereotypical male traits.

I'd honestly suspect it less if he had the baby face liked to sew and appeared kind, then ended up being a ruthless murdering young looking dude.

Just like everything else in the thread, this is theory, but unlike some this theory doesn't necessarily only hinge on things from the past game but just the subtle hints given in every situation like this in recent memory.

to be fair lets pretend for a second that the theory was true (even if it's not we've nothhing to lose in fact I'd prefer it to be false), don't you think that the overcompensating for a baby face or being a female and having to fight to be respected as much as a male thing would hold the same justification? I'd also say he isn't the only person that looks younger than a high school student in the cast VVV

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 3, 2013

Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

The cross-dressing thing feels obvious (or is being heavily hinted at as a red herring) because

The overt I'll kill you attitude. Yes he's a gangster but realistically aside from grunts, the leaders are seen as somewhat clever with a menacingly level of being threatening without having to constantly outwardly hold onto that level of malevolence.
A gang leader holds onto a menacing aura without having to hold the attitude "he's" holding.

I'm pretty certain the reason he's so overly aggressive is because he's compensating for his size/babyface, not the fact that he secretly has a vagina. Also, he's not the leader, he's supposed to be the heir. Whether or not he currently holds a position of power isn't clear.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

eat chain

Bland fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 6, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

QuarkJets posted:

:ohdear: oh no the Reptilian Agenda caused the most despair inducing event in the world. David Icke please (Or maybe Gene Ray, the guy who made the Time Cube website) please save us.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 3, 2013

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Now that I stare at Hinata's portrait, dude looks somehow intense. It's less like Naegi's :downs: smile than Kirigiri's "I will achieve my goals no matter what you do" smile.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Maybe Kuzuryuu is just plain a teenager who thinks he's being cool and edgy by being a standoffish douche, and will warm up eventually (possibly through coaching).

As for the Akane = Aoi theorists, how do you explain her having a completely different voice/voice actress?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Some people now mentioned that Hinata is a SHSL Faker or isn't really a Hope student but I thought after reading a bit of DRZero it's easy to assume that he was a regular student who got into Hope's prep school, I mean he even says that the way he entered the school was special.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I bet he doesn't go in cause not only does he have awesome yakuza tattoos they're probably of Care Bears and the Powerpuff Girls or something. He doesn't strike me as a cross-dresser (yet, if he ever will).

Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

Reverend Cheddar posted:

I bet he doesn't go in cause not only does he have awesome yakuza tattoos they're probably of Care Bears and the Powerpuff Girls or something. He doesn't strike me as a cross-dresser (yet, if he ever will).

He definitely has yakuza tattoos, but given his name, I would imagine it's a dragon of some sort.

Clearly he doesn't think these scoobies deserve to see his awesome tattoos.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
What if this is a sign that Kuzuryuu just hates water and will probably drown to death later? The same conclusion shouldn't have to be reached just because these two games are part of the same series, especially a series as subversive as Dangan Ronpa.

Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

Frankly, I hope he's NOT a girl. Nothing against anyone hoping for it, but it was just an idea to discuss and not necessarily what I wanted to have happen. I'd like for him to truely be this game's Togami since I love the character so much.

How is Togami not this game's Togami? If you want to shoehorn him into a role from DR1, Mondo would work just as well.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Theory: Monobear's gonna kill the current MC for being a fake, to prove he's dead serious about people breaking rules (a la Junko in DR1), and the game starts in earnest with the player as Nagito.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Maybe it's just because I'm new to these threads but I don't see the crossdressing thing at all. Although it's far too early in the game to tell for sure, I think the gangster is trying to make himself look like a total hardass for reasons unknown.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 3, 2013

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Commandant posted:

How is Togami not this game's Togami? If you want to shoehorn him into a role from DR1, Mondo would work just as well.
Because Togami being from a previous game will probably die first, but even if he doesn't we need someone to pick up the role of "look at me! I will totally kill someone you losers!!!" because Togami got over that in DR1 and I don't think he will do the same thing again and Kuzuryuu looks to be perfect for that role.

So yes it makes sense for Togami not to be this game's Togami.....kinda.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Theory: Monobear's gonna kill the current MC for being a fake, to prove he's dead serious about people breaking rules (a la Junko in DR1), and the game starts in earnest with the player as Nagito.

And what, exactly, is this theory of yours based on?

Also now after he goes after a guy as well people suddenly find the chef guy funny and realize he's a joke character. :geno:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm new to these threads but I don't see the crossdressing thing at all. Although it's far too early in the game to tell for sure, I think the gangster is trying to make himself look like a total hardass for reasons unknown.

It's all about meta reasons, really. If a bunch of characters resemble characters from the first game, others might.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Skunkrocker posted:

* Whore may have been too strong of a word. Skank? Rake? Jezebel? She's of loose morals, that's for drat sure. She was about to get bare rear end nude in front of everyone including Chef Greased Lightning. The loosest morals Aoi had was eating all the donuts. But specifically I was meaning that's how someone (like someone from the first game) would perceive Aoi as an unreliable narrator or their twisted fantasy: she's NOT a smart strong willed independent woman, but a dumb girl with big breasts and loose morals, a retroactive "take that".

Setting aside... implications... this analysis is just wrong on technical grounds. Aoi's free time events established that she had the same casual attitude toward nudity, although she didn't have the specific antipathy for swimsuits.

It's tempting to imagine that Akane's refusal to wear a swimsuit is just Aoi doing a really bad job of pretending not to be Aoi ("Swimsuits?! I hate swimsuits! I, Akane Owari who is clearly not Aoi Asahina, would never wear a school swimsuit for any reason!") but I'm pretty sure it's just the writers loving with player expectations.

Mav-san
Oct 22, 2012
There was already a crossdresser, I seriously doubt we get another one in this game. At max, I say he can't swim and is ashamed of that.

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Crossdresser crossdresser crossdresser

Sindai posted:

They're making it so obvious I want it to be a fake out.

When you guys said cross dresser I thought you meant he's a man that likes to wear women's clothes, as opposed to he's a woman passing herself off as a man. And I thought maybe he didn't want to change because he's wearing ladies' underwear under that suit, and he would feel even more insecure without it. And then I got confused because that didn't seem all that obvious. I just wouldn't assume he's a cross dresser either way, though I would prefer my first idea. :v:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't worry, there's nothing to see, this is just how the Let's Play Subforum thread is

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

QuarkJets posted:

The crossdressing thing is pretty ridiculous. The dude is wearing a full suit and a hat on a desert island, and he has made it clear that he hates pretty much everyone and just wants to be a gangster. That's sufficient explanation for not wanting to go swimming

I wonder why he is even at Hope's Peak Academy in the first place. Acceptance/selection hasn't been shown to equate to attendance; I don't think we've learned that you can't opt out. Is the name really so ubiquitous that someone like Kuzuryuu, who clearly has his own stuff going out and probably don't care much about furthering his education, would bother going? Would he really be interested in the the benefits of being a Hope's Peak graduate?

I guess the same could be said for some DR1 characters, though, and their placement only made sense once we learned a bit more about them. I am thinking of Mondo and Togami, here.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

So I started developing this theory when I first saw Nagito, and the lineup didn't help at all to discourage it, though I haven't fleshed it out to full completion as of yet.

The characters in DR2 aren't 1:1 replacements or reworkings of the characters from DR1. They are, instead, each comprised of two characters from the first, mixed and matched to suit. Nagito seems to be Naegi but also not Naegi (I can't tell if that's Yasuhiro or Leon peeking through behind the optimism). Akane has clear relations to Aoi but also some of Leon's attitude towards her chosen sport (and general brash attitude). Nidai is clearly Sakura with Mondo's inspirational manly yelling. Saionji has some of Junko's appearance and madness blended with Chihiro's unassuming appearance.

Which brings us to Kazuryuu. Picture if Chihiro had been brought up not with the lesson that they were too weak to be a man, but instead that they had an empire to aspire to rule and manliness to live up to, and instead overcompensated in the opposite direction while still having consistent, lingering doubts about their masculinity. And we know Mondo was stuck in his brother's shadow, and couldn't live up to the image and ideal that Daiyo presented. I therefore posit that Kazuryuu is both an amalgam of Chihiro and Mundo, and that he's not a crossdresser, but instead deeply insecure about his masculinity due to his physique. This will probably lead to him murdering the poo poo out of someone to prove he's a Real Man.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

a spooky ghost posted:

I wonder why he is even at Hope's Peak Academy in the first place. Acceptance/selection hasn't been shown to equate to attendance; I don't think we've learned that you can't opt out. Is the name really so ubiquitous that someone like Kuzuryuu, who clearly has his own stuff going out and probably don't care much about furthering his education, would bother going? Would he really be interested in the the benefits of being a Hope's Peak graduate?

Kuzuryuu pretty clearly wants to be seen as a cool gangster and make people respect and fear him, despite his babyface. Being SHSL educated about it would make him pretty much the best gangster on the planet, so yeah, he would be interested.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

SectumSempra posted:

This is just my opinion and I'm probably just weird about this so feel free to ignore what I'm gonna say. But most of that stuff is basically just a guess. Like most speculation up to this point seems to be based on trying to predict the plot by just calling out random plot twists and hoping it's right somehow. I mean, this isn't like the Chihiro case where there was some fairly good evidence for that to be the case with the gender assigned rooms, the murder location and all that. Now people are just sort of saying it's obvious based on what comes down to a gut response to it. The stuff in the post I quoted doesn't really prove or even(in my opinion) make it more likely for that to be the case. It's just a random shot in the dark with justifications that don't really make the theory any more likely.

I liked the speculation for the last game a lot because as much as we acted like silly idiots and got stuff wrong all the time, it was all based on stuff that actually happened in the game. Now it sort of feels like the thread is just trying to predict every possible twist with no actual basis and that's pretty boring. I mean, say that those shots in the dark turn out to be correct. Even then, what's the point in 'calling' something happening if you just get it right out of dumb luck as opposed to connecting the dots here and there? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much point in that. Theories like that just sort of seem to me like going "Yeah I have no idea how character X is the culprit, but he seems suspicious so I think he is the culprit" and then fist pumping the air later if that turns out to be right even though you never said anything in the first place.

I'm not a fan of that kind of speculation, 'is what I'm getting at. I don't know if it's just me or whatever, but yeah.

a spooky ghost posted:

I see it as going to acting school; it's not so much what you learn there as the connections you make. If you are going to be a gangster in the future you might as well look for some people that could be useful to you in the future, and that academy seems like a really good place to start looking.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sherringford posted:

This is just my opinion and I'm probably just weird about this so feel free to ignore what I'm gonna say. But most of that stuff is basically just a guess. Like most speculation up to this point seems to be based on trying to predict the plot by just calling out random plot twists and hoping it's right somehow. I mean, this isn't like the Chihiro case where there was some fairly good evidence for that to be the case with the gender assigned rooms, the murder location and all that. Now people are just sort of saying it's obvious based on what comes down to a gut response to it. The stuff in the post I quoted doesn't really prove or even(in my opinion) make it more likely for that to be the case. It's just a random shot in the dark with justifications that don't really make the theory any more likely.

I liked the speculation for the last game a lot because as much as we acted like silly idiots and got stuff wrong all the time, it was all based on stuff that actually happened in the game. Now it sort of feels like the thread is just trying to predict every possible twist with no actual basis and that's pretty boring. I mean, say that those shots in the dark turn out to be correct. Even then, what's the point in 'calling' something happening if you just get it right out of dumb luck as opposed to connecting the dots here and there? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much point in that. Theories like that just sort of seem to me like going "Yeah I have no idea how character X is the culprit, but he seems suspicious so I think he is the culprit" and then fist pumping the air later if that turns out to be right even though you never said anything in the first place.

I'm not a fan of that kind of speculation, 'is what I'm getting at. I don't know if it's just me or whatever, but yeah.
Yeah, I totally agree - people making random guesses just so they can say "called it!" later does get kind of annoying after a while.

That said, the whole crossdressing stuff isn't completely out of left field, since it did come up in the first game. (Not that I think the writers would repeat themselves like that, but there you go.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It does feel like they're deliberately dropping hints that could be interpreted for crossdressing (the whole babyface thing is a common trope for female-to-male crossdressers), but I assume they're just loving with player's expectations after DR1 (the babyface thing is also an allusion to one of the most notorious gangsters ever, so it's not strictly an argument for the crossdresser hypothesis.)

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Sherringford posted:

You are 100% correct, and I said the same thing in a previous post. The baseless speculation is really stupid, and I'd actually like it reported. It's tough to "legislate" but wild guesswork is just white-noise.

It's the same for the virtual reality theories. There's just no information presented in the game to base a lot of this on, it's just throwing darts and hoping they hit.

Skunkrocker posted:

I think we want to guess what happens before it does so we can feel all smart and special.

poo poo like this is why you get one update, and 100+ posts that all say the same thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

slowbeef posted:

It's the same for the virtual reality theories. There's just no information presented in the game to base a lot of this on, it's just throwing darts and hoping they hit.
I don't know. Instant weather change at the push of a button is a pretty good argument. Super high school technobabble nonwithstanding, that's just not something that even can happen in the real world.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know. Instant weather change at the push of a button is a pretty good argument. Super high school technobabble nonwithstanding, that's just not something that even can happen in the real world.

I do know.

Most of the virtual reality theories came before that, based on a "glitchy" looking image. AFTER UPDATE ONE. Nothing more.

Sherringford's right. There's no logic or evidence presented. It makes really trying to guess what happened not as fun, and it's white noise.

edit: My point is that people are just guessing everything. It really is crazy to say "This person exhibiting anti-social behavior doesn't want to do what the rest of the group is doing? It's obviously a crossdresser." It's just not enough.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 3, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cardiovorax posted:

It can just as easily be argued that the sky changed black is a thematic thing rather than "Oh hey, we're in a virtual reality world," especially since this game is not really bound to any sort of reality whatsoever. I mean, you're not gonna say that DR1 is some sort of virtual reality because Mondo turned to butter when he was put through high speeds and the game has a hacker character.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It can just as easily be argued that the sky changed black is a thematic thing rather than "Oh hey, we're in a virtual reality world," especially since this game is not really bound to any sort of reality whatsoever. I mean, you're not gonna say that DR1 is some sort of virtual reality because Mondo turned to butter when he was put through high speeds and the game has a hacker character.

It's not really even a theory, too.

It's virtual reality that explains why Monomi teleports and transmutes cows into chickens? Or the weather? Okay.

Why?

Who set up the simulation? Are the students themselves real a la the Matrix or computer programs? What's gained from simulating this? Why this setting? Why does the simulation have anything to do with that? How is Togami real in the first game, but in VR the second? Who the hell are these other people?

Saying "It's VR!" is just wildly trying to guess one aspect of the mystery so you can look smart. But it's dumb because there's just no information to flesh any of it out. gently caress, this could all be actual smoke and mirror like Nagito suggested. In fact there's no alternate theories, because we still don't have a ton of information.

• Locked thread