Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
That is appalling cricket. That was an easy two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Hyperriker posted:

Are we even serious as a cricket side

Have you seen the Black Caps lately? Complain when your coach dumps a popular and talented captain due to his buddy's venal self-interests and then the team proceeds get bowled out for 45 while top scorer has only 13 runs to his name.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I just can't get over that Cowan runout. The papers have been drilling the averages of the players outside of Clarke with hussey retiring and he is jogging carrying his gloves. Terrible. Just terrible.

He should be dropped just for that.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Vagabundo posted:

Have you seen the Black Caps lately? Complain when your coach dumps a popular and talented captain due to his buddy's venal self-interests and then the team proceeds get bowled out for 45 while top scorer has only 13 runs to his name.

Honest question, no mockery: would you have said this before the South Africa series?

e: series/rout/embarrassment - I know about the captain drama and all that. Did you know: a team can be poo poo and frustrating while another team is poo poo and frustrating too

Hyperriker fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 4, 2013

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hughes is obviously very talented and all but could this Sri Lankan attack be really considered a test to see where he is at.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Hughes is obviously very talented and all but could this Sri Lankan attack be really considered a test to see where he is at.

Well at the moment they appear to be bowling short and wide to Phil Hughes, if you needed any kind of metric

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've looked at the screen twice since putting the cricket on and both times Hughes has been square cutting. Keep bowling there fellas, it'll make it all the more surprising when someone doesn't.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

I just can't get over that Cowan runout. The papers have been drilling the averages of the players outside of Clarke with hussey retiring and he is jogging carrying his gloves. Terrible. Just terrible.

He should be dropped just for that.

I just don't understand what he was thinking. Especially with Warner, he's always going to looking for the second.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Those Sri Lankan averages are pretty good if they were batsmen

Seriously, looking at those averages, could this be the worst bowling attack to ever assemble together on Australian shores?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Angelo Matthews makes Shane Watson look like kallis. They are essentially about the level of a Sydney grade team.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

dflanny posted:

Seriously, looking at those averages, could this be the worst bowling attack to ever assemble together on Australian shores?

Worst by statistics? Probably not, someone could have a look at cricinfo to be sure.

Literally the worst? Hardly! England Eeeeeengland also Hayden flat track bullied his 380 here against fuckin Zimbabwe of all the asterisks needed in the record books

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Asterisk Shane Warne's wickets column as well.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

They keep talking up Matthews as an allrounder. He's a decent bat, but 11 wickets in 30 matches at 70 barely qualifies as a part-timer.

Pradeep's average is currently 366 :stare:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Even the worst England side had more bite than this line up. Lets not forget England of the 90s where playing a much much much much better Australian side.

This Australian side is not that bad but its fragile.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The England bowlers of the 90s at various points weren't actually that bad. Spinners were always poo poo but a prime Gough, Cork and maybe Caddick on a good day would probably get in the current side.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Quanta posted:

Asterisk Shane Warne's wickets column as well.

Yeah he took a lot of wickets against the English who have can't play spin as a racial trait.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

Worst by statistics? Probably not, someone could have a look at cricinfo to be sure.

Literally the worst? Hardly! England Eeeeeengland also Hayden flat track bullied his 380 here against fuckin Zimbabwe of all the asterisks needed in the record books

Ok I know I'm being hyperbolic, but most poo poo bowling attacks usually have someone half decent, like England had Gough, and Zimbabwe weren't all that bad back then, they had Heath Streak. All these Sri Lankan bowlers records are loving rubbish.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah he took a lot of wickets against the English who have can't play spin as a racial trait.

You jest but people try and discount Murali's wickets against Bangladesh and they're way better at playing spin than the England side that Warne played against for most of the time.

newmalden
Dec 30, 2012

SHEFFIELD: SEX CITY

Angelo Matthews makes Shane Watson look like kallis.

I know what you mean, but Watson doesn't have a wig and isn't in favour of the death penalty, except for ghosts.

Trying to make my mind up about Hughes, as an England fan. I think the powers that be are attempting to repair Tremlett specifically with Hughes in mind.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Hughes getting flummoxed by the spin of Dilshan.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

dflanny posted:

Ok I know I'm being hyperbolic, but most poo poo bowling attacks usually have someone half decent, like England had Gough, and Zimbabwe weren't all that bad back then, they had Heath Streak. All these Sri Lankan bowlers records are loving rubbish.

Herath is really bloody good. Took the most wickets for 2012 (iirc, I'm very tired) and skittled the Aussies in Hobart one innings.

Their quickies are super lacking without Kulasekara though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Hyperriker posted:

Honest question, no mockery: would you have said this before the South Africa series?

e: series/rout/embarrassment - I know about the captain drama and all that. Did you know: a team can be poo poo and frustrating while another team is poo poo and frustrating too

Obviously not the bit about being bowled out for 45, but certainly about the captaincy drama and the hamfisted handling of the fall-out by the officials, sure.

newmalden
Dec 30, 2012

I've made my mind up. He's in.

Word
Jan 25, 2003

Revoke India's cricket playing status

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel RichTea posted:

Hughes getting flummoxed by the spin of Dilshan.

I'm actually a bit worried that herath might rip through the line up. Its not deep, its fragile, the pitch is drying out and spinning.

Good call on the toss Clarke you maniac.

newmalden
Dec 30, 2012

Hang on, they've bowled Dilshan ahead of Herath? Umm.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
I absolutely love that, at this point, we have no loving idea what's going to happen and everyone is making GBS threads their pants about the possible collapses and results.

This owns

Bandit Solution
May 6, 2007
Problem solving mixture.
Phil Hughes is not looking comfortable against Dilshan. Herath should therefore get him out first ball.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Hughes makes 50, now we're stuck with him for a good two years. Australian cricket is dead.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

Obviously not the bit about being bowled out for 45, but certainly about the captaincy drama and the hamfisted handling of the fall-out by the officials, sure.

In that sense Australian cricket has been pretty stable since Kim Hughes gave up the captaincy.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'm not so convinced about Warner either. I suspect you've got a home track bully on your hands.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

PTizzle posted:

Herath is really bloody good. Took the most wickets for 2012 (iirc, I'm very tired) and skittled the Aussies in Hobart one innings.

Their quickies are super lacking without Kulasekara though.

Oops, I forgot about him! Yeah, he's good. I don't know why they haven't bowled him yet though, using Dilshan ahead of him.

Franko
Apr 25, 2007

Lionel RichTea posted:

I'm not so convinced about Warner either. I suspect you've got a home track bully on your hands.

I dunno, could work on some of those postage stamp grounds of yours.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Franko posted:

I dunno, could work on some of those postage stamp grounds of yours.

Are you bringing a spare poo poo attack to bowl at him like?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Surprisingly, bat like a nobhead in England and you get out.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel RichTea posted:

Surprisingly, bat like a nobhead in England and you get out.

He is aggressive but bats with a decent enough temperament. I mean I'm not sure how his batting like a nobhead.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Lionel RichTea posted:

He has big flaws against offspin and generally struggled in the Caribbean last year, so most likely.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hughes has his issues but he's bloody good through the off side from the backfoot. When he is at his best.

Bandit Solution
May 6, 2007
Problem solving mixture.

Hughes has his issues but he's bloody good through the off side from the backfoot. When he is at his best.

Hughes gets a lot of crap on here, but he's still a run machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

He is aggressive but bats with a decent enough temperament. I mean I'm not sure how his batting like a nobhead.

lol.

• Locked thread