Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Adraeus posted:

Did you just spoil the ending?

I think so :smith: . Oh well, I'm not really playing the game for the plot. In fact I have no real idea what is going on besides save-friends-shoot-badguys. To ask a question about the plot though, I am only up to the point where I've rescued the second woman and helped to find some crankshaft looking bit for the boat and I'm wondering when I can get some more skills unlocked. I am having a blast just running around and shooting dudes, but I want to be able to get access to my skills. Should I just power through some of the plot missions to get to unlock the skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Honestly, take the game at your own pace. I was pretty annoyed at how late some skills were unlocked. In fact, since my new game+ (reminder: with the help of Swartz' great great mod, meant for after you beat the game initially), I've unlocked most skills and have had fun mainly hunting for ammo/upgrade money, and taking down random Privateers/outposts, than any amount of direction the game took me with its "storytelling". Giving you guns, enemies, animals, and a huge island is all this game should have been.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

spoiler dat poo poo

I honestly think it's just the author being an idiot. For every instance of him going "THEY'RE USING JASON," there's an instance (or multiple instances) where this is simply not true, or at least heavily suggests that it's not. Dennis and Citra's attitudes towards Jason, for instance - if they're using him, how do you explain the end scenes? Dude can't even keep his own :master: story straight.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I just played this beauty of a map in the silver playlist.

It's called Close Encounter. And for obvious reasons it made me feel like a little kid. Running around under that thing was amazing. Never mind that there's way too many open areas, the attention to detail in replicating a classic moment from film history is crazy.

I highly recommend jumping into the custom playlists when there are enough people playing to support a few lobbies.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Fox, do a barrel roll!

favorite MP dogfight map/game of all time.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The writer almost confirms my suspicion that the whole island adventure is just Jason's drug-fueled hallucination, and that he's still in Bangkok, passed out on the floor of his hotel room.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I just got to the second island, and Hoyt offered an entire island for the head of snow white, and I instantly thought "Oh boy I wonder how I can turn my own head in!" Then I remembered, I kinda need that...

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, Look up my username on steam if anyone wants to play multiplayer. Bonus points if you can figure out how to stay on the same team/server.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Baron Bifford posted:

The writer almost confirms my suspicion that the whole island adventure is just Jason's drug-fueled hallucination, and that he's still in Bangkok, passed out on the floor of his hotel room.

This is definitely a possibility. At the very least, much of the game doesn't happen as Jason perceives it.

I found this game incredibly good for the way it draws in the player. This is by far the most tense survival game I have ever played, far beyond Silent Hill 2. All of the scenes blending cutscenes in with gameplay blur the line between a movie and a video game. In the scene where I shoot Vaas, I pulled the trigger before I could react to the prompt appearing onscreen. The game makes me feel like I am one with Jason Brody.

Far Cry 3 is just so depressing. Some games like Spec Ops: The Line and DEFCON remind the player that the degree of violence is monstrous. This game is a master of subtlety. Normal advancement through gameplay causes everything to become more brutal and desperate, until the challenge washes away and the player is a death machine. The part that plays Ride of the Valkyries is the scene where Jason goes from a fighter to a hunter chasing down and killing whoever he wants to kill.

Did anyone else notice the way dubstep music is an omen of brutal violence in this game? The early fights with pirates, the flamethrower raid, killing Vaas...

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Chamale posted:

The part that plays Ride of the Valkyries is the scene where Jason goes from a fighter to a hunter chasing down and killing whoever he wants to kill.

I found that bit really interesting because it has Jason man the machine gun in a military helicopter piloted by his younger brother,(who Jason killed an entire merc army to rescue) with Ride of the Valkyries blasting, hysterically screaming trashy one-liners as he as he destroys buildings, cars and boats - "THERE GOES YOUR 4WD!" "I SUNK YOUR BATTLESHIP!" and so on. It kind of points to the intentions of the writer but it's so jammed in amongst the noise and chaos (not to mention the multiple RPG guys who you can't SEE to shoot, so you end up doing the section over and over, dulling the effect immensely) it just comes off as an organic part of the typical shooty-shooty bang bang style of gameplay rather than some kind of reflexive comment on the genre.

Changing subjects briefly, and this comes up with the release of every Far Cry / Crysis, but is it possible to get into the game files to implement new models and animations yet / at all? The Cassowary is practically a velociraptor already, and the audio effects of the Komodo, Tapir and Crocs support the fact that this would be an awesome time to make Jurassic Park Cry.

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 4, 2013

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Fired up the multiplayer today and I'm having lots of fun with it. The end scenes after games are neat.
I couldn't figure out how to use my 'killstreaks' though. Pushed about every button on my controller and then suddenly called in a bomber or something similar. Fun.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

Fired up the multiplayer today and I'm having lots of fun with it. The end scenes after games are neat.
I couldn't figure out how to use my 'killstreaks' though. Pushed about every button on my controller and then suddenly called in a bomber or something similar. Fun.

If you're on console it should be right on the d-pad. There's a little input lag so it get's confusing. I know I was confused as gently caress first time I tried to call in some scouts.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Fibby Boy posted:

If you're on console it should be right on the d-pad. There's a little input lag so it get's confusing. I know I was confused as gently caress first time I tried to call in some scouts.

Yeah, found it eventually. And just noticed a little pop-up that tells you how to do it. Must have missed that the first game I played.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Hey guys, there's a spoiler thread over here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523778&pagenumber=3

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
Hey Cardboard Box,

Would you be able to add to the OP the point in which the skills are unlocked? It was something I had to look up, because I had 6-7 points stashed without wanting anything available, and most of the answers on other sites contain spoilers as to what you will do in the future.

Like...

Player is initially allowed a specific set of skills.
The player can unlock additional skills after completing *this mission*.
The player can unlock the last set of skills after completing *this mission*.

I don't think the mission names are very spoilerish.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
What's up with that decode thing in MP? Why can I decode a CD and why does it take 10 minutes? And can I still play while I'm decoding it (for some reason). So many questions.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

beedeebee posted:

What's up with that decode thing in MP? Why can I decode a CD and why does it take 10 minutes? And can I still play while I'm decoding it (for some reason). So many questions.

I tried a few rounds tonight, seems like I got a decodable item after each round, one gave me a extra weapon mod, another just gave some bonus XP, they just go on in the background while you play.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Ah, my bad. Thanks for the link.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Picked up this game from the Steam sale and just got around to installing it. Are there any recommended mods for the first playthrough, if any?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Picked up this game from the Steam sale and just got around to installing it. Are there any recommended mods for the first playthrough, if any?

Nope: Just play through the game as it was given to you. Other than some slightly annoying HUD issues, the game stands perfectly fine on its own. Once you beat the game and figure out how you want to change it, you can either find the appropriate mod or even make it yourself (apparently it's not that hard to change values and other stuff)

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Mister Bung posted:

Changing subjects briefly, and this comes up with the release of every Far Cry / Crysis, but is it possible to get into the game files to implement new models and animations yet / at all? The Cassowary is practically a velociraptor already, and the audio effects of the Komodo, Tapir and Crocs support the fact that this would be an awesome time to make Jurassic Park Cry.
I've documented parts of the model format but someone who is a modeller and has experience writing import/export tools will need to take that work and put something together.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have a question for people who didn't like the game, how did you play it? I went through the game in a huge grind through my Christmas vacation, playing four hour or more each day. This really helped me understand the writer's message and become emotionally involved in the game. I also had a friend tell me to look for the subtle details, but not reveal anything about the plot. There are many little touches that form a coherent narrative that can easily be missed, like the musicians - M.I.A. and Damian Marley for "good guys", and Wagner for the bad guys. Role-playing as Jason is pretty important, because the game has a lot of paths you can take but the common element is that the violence will become increasingly brutal as you gain access to more weapons. I think the best way to experience Far Cry 3 is to play it in a marathon session, anything else takes you out of the game too much. It's a pretty big weakness to have, but the game stands very well as a story.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Harmonica posted:

I just played this beauty of a map in the silver playlist.

It's called Close Encounter. And for obvious reasons it made me feel like a little kid. Running around under that thing was amazing. Never mind that there's way too many open areas, the attention to detail in replicating a classic moment from film history is crazy.

I highly recommend jumping into the custom playlists when there are enough people playing to support a few lobbies.
That looks really rather cool, and it's a map that's obviously had a lot of effort put into it. Which sadly seems to be a rare thing. Most of the player-created maps I've tried have been the equivalent of kids making GBS threads into their hands then holding it up to say "Look what I made!" Even on the Silver tier, which supposedly Ubi moderates to a degree, there are some horrors. I played one Silver map last night (wish I could remember the name so I could warn people) where the 'thought' process behind its creation seemed to be:

1: Create flat plain with default sand texture
2: Drop warehouses in pattern that vaguely suggests a street grid
3: Fill gaps with random buildings, making sure they're dropped below ground level just enough that the only way to get out through the doors once inside is by repeatedly crouching and bunnyhopping
4: Block streets with random objects that you may or may not be able to fit between, who can tell
5: Place spawn points either at the extreme edges of the playable area or right in the middle of wide-open intersections
6: Publish! :downsbravo:

Yet this monstrosity had been upvoted, and had helpful tags like 'large' and 'small'. Meanwhile, maps that have clearly had work put into them invariably get voted 'confusing' because they're not flat, wide-open sniper playgrounds. :ughh:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Thomase posted:

Hey Cardboard Box,

Would you be able to add to the OP the point in which the skills are unlocked? It was something I had to look up, because I had 6-7 points stashed without wanting anything available, and most of the answers on other sites contain spoilers as to what you will do in the future.

Like...

Player is initially allowed a specific set of skills.
The player can unlock additional skills after completing *this mission*.
The player can unlock the last set of skills after completing *this mission*.

I don't think the mission names are very spoilerish.

I don't remember which missions the skills unlock at but if someone could tell me I guess I could try adding it to the OP, though I'm not sure where it would fit.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The multiplayer game mode 'firesea' is actually cool. It makes you want to rip out your eyeballs while playing with pubbies though.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
After you do Fly South, I'm pretty sure all the skills that don't have a prerequisite are unlocked. I may be remembering wrong, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

I don't remember which missions the skills unlock at but if someone could tell me I guess I could try adding it to the OP, though I'm not sure where it would fit.

The first unlock happens when
You go to see Citra in the temple.
The second unlock happens when
You assault Vaas's stronghold (after recovering the knife).

P-niiice
May 21, 2001

I have you now.
Please add me for Far Cry Co-op and multiplayer on PS3, I'm tired of playing with random people.

username: P-niiice

I will love and cherish you.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Does anyone know if the maps in the Silver playlist in MP are universal across all systems? I really want to play that Close Encounters map but all I get on PS3 is some really lovely maps that are either same old temple dominations and transmission or large open fields.

Maybe it's because the map editor is not really console controller friendly all too much.

Also, the Stalker Mod for the SPAS looks like it has a silencer or something. Either way it's cool as hell :black101:

E: Playing on a map called Paradis IslDEAD :wtc:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

razorfinnish posted:

Hangin' around on the Rook Islands: campaign world in Co-op. (That pic's taken from the lighthouse)
Posted on UPlay forums.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

I think he's been working away at getting the coop working for a while now - I'm guessing though that it's just the map and maybe the animal spawns, and not everything?

At this point though it seems like through hacking away at the files we will get some form of coop singleplayer, though.

I wonder if the reason UbiSoft have outright banned using the hacked map editor to create awesome maps with AI and animals is because they are planning some form of DLC that will add those things.

Dodecalypse posted:

Does anyone know if the maps in the Silver playlist in MP are universal across all systems?

I don't think they are, unfortunately, but you can try searching for PC maps and see if they appear on the console archives. You have to hope that Ubi will run a conversion on the best maps to transfer them between platforms. There's got to be a reason why there are inherent limitations placed on the editor (things like only four texture types, which irritates me).

I wouldn't give up hope, though. I played FC2 for the largest part of time on 360 and there were tons of amazing maps made on that console. The trouble is getting people to play them, which is easier now there's actual playlists (in FC2 there was only custom lobbies with horrible hosts).

It staggers me that there's still usually only a few dozen people playing in these custom playlists, world wide, but there you go...

Mister Bung posted:

Replacing models and animations is already possible. It would take a team of people to attempt something like that, though, given that you can't just pop out good looking dinosaurs with animations and all that. Don't think we're at the stage where enough is known about the game data, or there are enough community produced tools (or an SDK :( ) to attempt a total conversion. Unless there are some people working very quietly on them!

I'm working on a few Jurassic Park styled maps for multiplayer, though, in the mean time :)

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 5, 2013

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

So it turns out .feu files are just normal SWF files with the magic value changed ("UEF" instead of "FWS"). Apparently I failed to test this properly when I first considered this. :downs:

Harmonica posted:

I think he's been working away at getting the coop working for a while now - I'm guessing though that it's just the map and maybe the animal spawns, and not everything?

At this point though it seems like through hacking away at the files we will get some form of coop singleplayer, though.
Yeah, that's what he's been working on. I've been helping him with some things as time passes.

Harmonica posted:

I wonder if the reason UbiSoft have outright banned using the hacked map editor to create awesome maps with AI and animals is because they are planning some form of DLC that will add those things.
They didn't ban modifying the editor, they don't want people publishing maps into their system that have been modified.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 5, 2013

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Right, sorry, that's what I meant. In effect it's the same result - if you can only play them in private sessions, well, not many people I know have the organisation to gather enough people at one time to play the drat things. I know that in Halo for example, through the Forge editor, there were legions of friends who spent their waking life making maps and playing them, and that's great. But I don't think that same vast community of private map makers exists for FC. If I make a map I want to believe it might be played by strangers in some playlist, otherwise I won't bother.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Game end spoilers

Goddammit man at least allude to somewhat to what you're spoiling. Don't just tag it all.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Chamale posted:

I have a question for people who didn't like the game, how did you play it? I went through the game in a huge grind through my Christmas vacation, playing four hour or more each day. This really helped me understand the writer's message and become emotionally involved in the game. I also had a friend tell me to look for the subtle details, but not reveal anything about the plot. There are many little touches that form a coherent narrative that can easily be missed, like the musicians - M.I.A. and Damian Marley for "good guys", and Wagner for the bad guys. Role-playing as Jason is pretty important, because the game has a lot of paths you can take but the common element is that the violence will become increasingly brutal as you gain access to more weapons. I think the best way to experience Far Cry 3 is to play it in a marathon session, anything else takes you out of the game too much. It's a pretty big weakness to have, but the game stands very well as a story.

The game's story is a joke, no matter which way you slice it.

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009
So I'm having really frustrating crashing issues and I'm running out of solutions.

The game seems to run fine for 5-30 minutes or so, and then it will just go to a black screen and freeze. I can alt tab but my monitor is stuck on the black screen, and the only way I've been able to get around rebooting my PC is to have task manager already running on my second monitor.

I've looked through this thread on the UBI forums but still am having no luck.

Thus far I've tried:

-Disabling Fraps
-Removing my second video card
-Setting the exe to Windows XP compatibility
-Disabling the steam overlay
-Disabling any Nvidia control panel overrides (i.e. forcing AA/Vsync)
-Running everything has admin and re-verifying the file integrity via Steam

Anyone have any ideas? My specs are:

Windows 8 x64
i7 920
GTX 570
6GB DDR3

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Knuc If U Buck posted:

The game's story is a joke, no matter which way you slice it.

Also, the game's economic mechanics are broken to the point of working against each other. Exploring is often hampered by having to return to base because either your wallet or your rucksack is full. There are only two types of loot that fill up your rucksack: crafting poo poo and vendor trash. The only purpose of vendor trash is to get money. Money that you don't need because everything is free because you unlocked radio towers. The crafting system is asinine and purposely obtuse in order ta huge pai in o disguise it's arbitrarily inflated nature (i.e. you cant see what materials you're going to need in order to craft things later on). It's literally like the didn't playtest how these mechanics interact with each other at all. They make it a huge pain in the rear end to carry things that you sell for money, and then go as far as to make it a pain in the rear end to even carry money. Then they give nothing except horrible pain jobs and body armor to spend your money on. The fact that you know you can easily get guns for free makes it seem like a bad idea to buy them, but really there's no downside to buying them because having too much money is literally a problem they artificially created. When you realize this and just buy guns, the most exciting bonus of unlocking radio towers is taken away. Instead you get a message that [thing you already paid for] is now free.

And, if you still are in a bit of a far cry 2 mindset, it's easy to forget that you don't just get ammo at safehouses, you actually have to spend a tiny amount of money to get it. The monetary cosdt of ammo is inconsequential, but forgetting that going to a safehouse doesn't mean you remembered to buy ammo is a total pain. Again, this is really only a problem if you have the FC2 system of safehouses embedded in your brain.

I think all the craftable pouches should have been buyable items, giving the player a reason to want money in order to upgrade gear. Radio towers shouldn't make guns free, Path of the Hunter and Wanted Dead quests should, so that getting free weapons isn't an almost unavoidable part of the game's linear progression. The entire crafting system should be replaced with crafting of disposable buffs that are badass, like eating a tiger's heart to get a 3x damage multiplier or something. That would be so much more in the vein of being a sterio-typical Great White Hunterjungle warrior.

All of these changes create demand for items in non-arbitrary or linear fashion. They give you something to spend money on and the incentive to go out and get money/do missions in order to get rewards. The current system makes getting loot a monotonous chore that is ultimately unrewarding. "I discovered a wrecked ship and dived down to find three chests. I had fight off a shark to get them, but I did. It was $16, a blue poker chip, and some used syringes"

I'm sure this was all intentional cleverness by the writer, to demonstrate that third world countries aren't full of lost treasure and it's not glamorous to rob them blind or some poo poo.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Kittykisses posted:

So I'm having really frustrating crashing issues and I'm running out of solutions.

The game seems to run fine for 5-30 minutes or so, and then it will just go to a black screen and freeze. I can alt tab but my monitor is stuck on the black screen, and the only way I've been able to get around rebooting my PC is to have task manager already running on my second monitor.

Thus far I've tried:

-Disabling Fraps

Windows 8 x64
i7 920
GTX 570
6GB DDR3

Does your application event log show any errors? Are you sure your video card driver isn't crashing? I had a similar problem with my GTX 660, which eventually needed to be RMA'd - but there's a lot of other reasons why your video driver could be crashing as well.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

The game doesn't run very well on my admittedly antiquated system. This is what I've got:

C2D E8500
4 GB RAM
GTX 460 1 GB (slightly overclocked)

Do you think I'd be fine if I upgraded to a GTX 660 or should I just shell out for a new system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Kittykisses posted:

Thus far I've tried:

-Disabling Fraps

Windows 8 x64
i7 920
GTX 570
6GB DDR3

Which drivers are you using? The newest ones had the same issue for me. I rolled back to the 306 drivers and set the disable desktop composition option for the game exe. I also have a 570.

• Locked thread