Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Friend Commuter posted:

In vanilla, cultures become accepted if at least 20% (I think) of your tax comes from core provinces of that culture, and stop being accepted if less than 5% does. In EU3+, now, they can become accepted by decision and never stop being accepted as long as you have a core province of that culture on the same continent as your capital.

Thanks for clarifying. This sounds like a really good idea on Wiz's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

How do you cheat your way into civilization? I have no qualms cheating a P-dox game (` 'cash' is my best friend) but the only cheat I've ever found that can do something about civilization is increasing plurality, which makes you gain research points slightly faster but it still takes loving forever.

Or is there somewhere in the game files that you can just flip "civilized=no" to "civilized=yes" or something?

Some people have explained the research points method, but I'm also fairly positive that civilized is basically just a binary in the save game. It certainly is in the actual main game files, so starting civilized is really easy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Some people have explained the research points method, but I'm also fairly positive that civilized is basically just a binary in the save game. It certainly is in the actual main game files, so starting civilized is really easy.

Right after the trade = { ... } giant section in a nation's section, there should be a civilized = yes/no setting, flip it to yes and you should have a civilized nation. Personally though I get the focus of the game is the 'civilized' nations, but they're so boring I say the game gets a lot more fun when you just swap every unciv to civ in in 1880. Maybe leave the African ones because it might mess with the Scramble for Africa event in APD but if it doesn't conflict, just change every unciv to a civ and you'll be behind enough the Euopeans will still maintain the edge they had historically.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DrProsek posted:

Right after the trade = { ... } giant section in a nation's section, there should be a civilized = yes/no setting, flip it to yes and you should have a civilized nation. Personally though I get the focus of the game is the 'civilized' nations, but they're so boring I say the game gets a lot more fun when you just swap every unciv to civ in in 1880. Maybe leave the African ones because it might mess with the Scramble for Africa event in APD but if it doesn't conflict, just change every unciv to a civ and you'll be behind enough the Euopeans will still maintain the edge they had historically.

At first I thought that you meant "Swap every nation in terms of civilization", and laughed. So Great Britain, the USA, etc. are suddenly uncivilized, while the nations of Africa and Asia are suddenly civilized! 19th Century Imperialism in reverse!

The Scramble for Europe!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DrSunshine posted:

At first I thought that you meant "Swap every nation in terms of civilization", and laughed. So Great Britain, the USA, etc. are suddenly uncivilized, while the nations of Africa and Asia are suddenly civilized! 19th Century Imperialism in reverse!

The Scramble for Europe!

That sounds pretty cool.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I would so totally play that. Could be the best alt history game ever.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
To make a point about how utterly unplayable uncivs were in AHD, I once tried to make a mod that made every single country an unciv... but I could never get it to work. How PI decided this system was better than the terrible one they had before is beyond me; literally all you do is watch numbers very slowly tick up.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DrSunshine posted:

The Scramble for Europe!

No joke, if V3 had a scenario for that I would so pay $10 for it. Even if it were a bare bones thing, though I'd imagine a lot of people would much rather prefer events, decisions, maybe new nations/borders to go with it.

Gorgo Primus posted:

To make a point about how utterly unplayable uncivs were in AHD, I once tried to make a mod that made every single country an unciv... but I could never get it to work. How PI decided this system was better than the terrible one they had before is beyond me; literally all you do is watch numbers very slowly tick up.

To be :airquote:fair:airquote: you can impact how fast that number goes up, but that basically means modifying your education slider and national focus a bit every few years. Compared to how much involvement running a civ takes, uncivs are really dull. You can't even go to war because all that will do is eat up money that could be going into education, grab land so your average literacy goes down (unless you somehow take a random non-capital province from an unciv that has a high literacy) and thus your research speed goes down and plus you'd need soldiers to keep rebels in check, which is more education money down the toilet, and it takes up diplomacy points you should be using boosting relations with GPs so they don't invade your rear end. Basically, war is a complete waste of time for an unciv.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Not completely. Every unciv state you take as an unciv becomes a full state when you become civilized.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

DrProsek posted:

No joke, if V3 had a scenario for that I would so pay $10 for it. Even if it were a bare bones thing, though I'd imagine a lot of people would much rather prefer events, decisions, maybe new nations/borders to go with it.

For a while I was making a scenario like that, with an alternate history and events and poo poo, but I just sort of stopped before getting very far. It's definitely a sweet concept, and I might try to do it again. Just swapping Civ status should be really really easy though.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

For a while I was making a scenario like that, with an alternate history and events and poo poo, but I just sort of stopped before getting very far. It's definitely a sweet concept, and I might try to do it again. Just swapping Civ status should be really really easy though.

No, that's what I tried. Something about them having their factories still or something messes with it and makes it crash.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

The Scramble for Europe!

I was actually going to make a hoi mod with that same premise. "The Great Divide," a WWII where the global powers are in Asia and Africa, with Europe being mostly colonies with a few holdouts and North America and South America reversing roles. Great Britain filling the role of the Japanese, India paralleling Germany, Japan being the UK, a Soviet Africa, a United States of South America and Indochina being France. Did some work on it for hoi2, made the countries, leaders, some events, but then paused because hoi3 was coming out soon. Couldn't get into it though, and got burned out doing a bunch of stuff for kaiserreich so I never finished it. Still have it all saved though. Might resurrect it if I like hoi4 enough.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was under the impression you can't make an "all unciv" game of V2 because Machine Parts and Cement and other such key materials are only ever produced by factories, which means if it weren't for the UK being the single Machine Parts producer at the very start of the game, no one would ever be able to industrialize*.

* compared to V1 where certain techs granted you single-shot infusions of Machine Parts that you can then use to build factories.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Gorgo Primus posted:

No, that's what I tried. Something about them having their factories still or something messes with it and makes it crash.

Huh. Well, shouldn't be too hard to just mass remove all the factory poo poo I guess. That does make me curios though, I might try it. You'd have to create a bunch of infrastructure in the old Uncivs though I guess so there were existing goods...

^^ Just add in factories in some unciv...

Though it would be really wacky if that's all you changed, since you'd have the great British Unciv Empire stretching across the globe.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I agree. It was similar to the complaint people had going from Civ 4 to Civ 5. In Civ 4, you always knew why the AI liked or hated you, and it was pretty transparent in its motivations. In Civ V, they obfuscated everything and it felt like you never knew why the AI did any of the things it did, making it really hard to predict and just frustrating. Part of this was because the AI (in the few months after launch) was absolutely awful and really did just behave erratically, but the obfuscation of information didn't help.

Transparency in AI is a wonderful thing.

It's even better when you realize that the Depressed, Lunatic, Possessed, and a few other traits actually do cause the AI to make irrational decisions. An AI lunatic on the throne is a real threat to everyone.

Hazmat Sam
Dec 25, 2010

The dead do not "get high"
I like the idea behind it. Modernizing your nation should be an involved process with quantifiable steps along the way, but the reforms system for civilizing would be a lot better if reforms actually did something meaningful. Early industrialization should let you build factories, for instance; modernizing your navy should give you the ability to make whatever ships your sphere leader can, and so on.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Huh. Well, shouldn't be too hard to just mass remove all the factory poo poo I guess. That does make me curios though, I might try it. You'd have to create a bunch of infrastructure in the old Uncivs though I guess so there were existing goods...

^^ Just add in factories in some unciv...

Though it would be really wacky if that's all you changed, since you'd have the great British Unciv Empire stretching across the globe.

The problem is that the game needs eight great powers, and one can only be a great power if they are civilized and have at least two states, so the game crashes when it can't find any. Artesans can produce any and all missing goods, so that's a moot point.

In the Srbja-LP scenario I'm often guilty of not finishing (but one day will!), Europe is a broken backwards mess of dictatorships, theocracies and feudal rulers, while the most advanced nations in the world are in India, Iran and the Aztec successor states in America.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 6, 2013

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Rannos22 posted:

Is there a steam group, IRC channel or Skype chat for playing Paradox games multiplayer with goons? I got a taste of CK2 multiplayer playing with friends a while back and now single player just feels like a pale imitation :(

I don't think anyone replied to this, so here you go. There's a Steam group for Paradox goons called Comet Sighted, I'm part of it (as are a fair number of thread regulars) but it doesn't look like it's had much use as of late. I think a few people set up MP games from time to time in IRC or Skype, but I'm not really sure what channels to go to for that 'cause I don't really use either of them.

Incidentally, if we want to keep using the Steam group it might be helpful for someone to update the information again, like with a fresh link to the new thread.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was under the impression you can't make an "all unciv" game of V2 because Machine Parts and Cement and other such key materials are only ever produced by factories, which means if it weren't for the UK being the single Machine Parts producer at the very start of the game, no one would ever be able to industrialize*.

* compared to V1 where certain techs granted you single-shot infusions of Machine Parts that you can then use to build factories.

Anything that can be produced in factories can be produced by artisans, although I think you still have to research the tech that activates those goods.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

The problem is that the game needs eight great powers, and one can only be a great power if they are civilized and have at least two states, so the game crashes when it can't find any. Artesans can produce any and all missing goods, so that's a moot point.

In the Srbja-LP scenario I'm often guilty of not finishing (but one day will!), Europe is a broken backwards mess of dictatorships, theocracies and feudal rulers, while the most advanced nations in the world are in India, Iran and the Aztec successor states in America.

Any chance you could point me in the right direction for this scenario? I'm a sucker for alt-history poo poo.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I see you've exported the Croats to Australia, I'm sure there is some Balkan nationalist out there furiously plotting your demise.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Wiz is responsible for the oceanic colony of Not Kroatia. As for the scenario, it's still being converted, but it should probably be available eventually.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think alt-history is fun when there is at least a semi-plausible reason for why things are the way they are. That's why the Shattered Europe scenario for MiscMods in EUIII is entertaining; yes, it would require a rather unlikely series of mishaps and disasters to have occurred to the European states, but it was theoretically possible. Even the Dark Continent scenario, which is completely unrealistic, at least tries to justify itself and is still highly playable.

However, simply switching civs and uncivs in Victoria II sounds like it would get pretty boring as soon as the novelty factor wears off.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Do you perchance have a download link for that scenario?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Like it says in the post, it's not finished.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I was dumb and misread, I thought he was just talking about making all the Uncivs Civs, and all the Civs into Uncivs, which is definitely doable.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Hey, Wiz, I'm playing you EU3Plus mod as Al-Andalus and absolutely loving it. England is having some problems with their revolutionary wars, though. It's 1545 now and the Welsh revolutionary war has been goin on since 1509, and the Briton revolutionary war since 1518. The English holdings in France are occupied by Brittany and the rest is occupied by a combination of Wales and English peasants, while OPM Protestand Wales is occupied by protestant zealots. It doesn't look like this is gonna end any time soon, but I guess this may be a native problem. When I changed tag to England to fix this, though, I noticed that England had a potential decisions that I didn't, the dissolution act which would be a great help in my game just now. Checking the files it seems that decision is limited to the Western and Eastern technology group, and since I'm modernized Muslim(105% tech speed :smug:) I'll never be able get it. I deleted those lines in the file, so it's not a problem, but I just wondered if that was WAD. I also wondered if that >100% tech speed is to compensate for the neighbor bonus that the western tech group gets?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SeaTard posted:

I see you've exported the Croats to Australia, I'm sure there is some Balkan nationalist out there furiously plotting your demise.

You've never been to Melbourne I take it.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

sniper4625 posted:

Wiz is responsible for the oceanic colony of Not Kroatia. As for the scenario, it's still being converted, but it should probably be available eventually.

I thought Not Kroatia was the Country Formerly Known as Croatia (light brown on the map, just west of Srjbyzantium), and that the colony was Kroatstralia

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Cowcatcher posted:

I thought Not Kroatia was the Country Formerly Known as Croatia (light brown on the map, just west of Srjbyzantium), and that the colony was Kroatstralia

Yeah. It's been a while.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AI Ottomans: Dumber than a sack of bricks.

Seriously how does this even happen.

(yes, that's Morocco in Sinope :shepface:)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Narrator posted:

I don't think anyone replied to this, so here you go. There's a Steam group for Paradox goons called Comet Sighted, I'm part of it (as are a fair number of thread regulars) but it doesn't look like it's had much use as of late. I think a few people set up MP games from time to time in IRC or Skype, but I'm not really sure what channels to go to for that 'cause I don't really use either of them.

Incidentally, if we want to keep using the Steam group it might be helpful for someone to update the information again, like with a fresh link to the new thread.

I don't know how active it is, but last I knew, the popular gathering place was the IRC channel. #paradox at irc.synirc.org

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Fister Roboto posted:

Think that's bad? I've seen Tripoli there before.

And in my current game the Mamluks are in Romania. :shepface:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't know what it is with the AI Ottomans but I've never seen them even unify Anatolia, let alone get anywhere near their historical borders. Between that, the Timurid collapse leading to some hideous borders and the inevitable Mamluk implosion that whole part of the world always seems to be a complete mess.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
The Ottomans actually did really well on the European front in my last game. Took pretty much all of Greece aside from the Pelleponese, most of the Balkans, and the vast majority of Hungary. If I hadn't lost that save there's a good chance they might actually have reached the gates of Vienna, and probably have taken it too considering Austria in that game was in no shape to fight them.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

ZearothK posted:

I assume the LP in "Srbja-LP" scenario stands for let's play? Do you have a link for this game or am I mistaken? The only ones in the archive are Fintilgin and Wiz's Hohenzollern.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
It never got archived because it never technically finished. Also a bunch of the early images were unfortunately lost with Waffleimages. Here it is, requires archives.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Not only did AI Morocco somehow conquer Cornwall and Glamorgan, but they've also managed to hold onto them long enough for them to become Moroccan cores. This loving game.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Fister Roboto posted:

Not only did AI Morocco somehow conquer Cornwall and Glamorgan, but they've also managed to hold onto them long enough for them to become Moroccan cores. This loving game.

That's relatively common in my games since England always get dragged into war with Morocco via their alliance with Portugal. The Ottomans tend to get around a lot, too; I've seen them take and hold provinces in Italy, France, and even Sweden at various points in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jabarto posted:

That's relatively common in my games since England always get dragged into war with Morocco via their alliance with Portugal. The Ottomans tend to get around a lot, too; I've seen them take and hold provinces in Italy, France, and even Sweden at various points in the past.

The Ottomans really like picking up Defender of the Faith for Islam. I've seen them get dragged into wars all over the place because of it.

• Locked thread