Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Suggestion: Don't make far-reaching (like, endgame-scope) speculations you wouldn't be willing to Toxx yourself to.

e: vvv She sure did. She did it a while ago, actually, but I was waiting for the reveal to switch it. I was expecting to still have Mist by the time I actually changed it, but, eh, plans, mice, men.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Did HelloWinter draw a new avatar for you Fedule? That's adorable.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So now we seem to have SHSL Vampire as well as Togami's SHSL Con-Man. I refuse to believe he's really Togami. He's gotta be running a con.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

Suggestion: Don't make far-reaching (like, endgame-scope) speculations you wouldn't be willing to Toxx yourself to.

Actually, it would be a good idea if people toxxed themselves if they are sure about their speculations, it would be quite a show.
So, Monobear happend, Monomi showed up and we have some struggle by the player's side. Also, it seems that Monobear hasn't changed his game, for now. Kill someone, make it out through the trial, you can leave the island.
I really hope the same trick is not used again, but it probably won't be the case in this game.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
You know, I think it's a tribute to how likeable these characters are and how despair full watching a bunch of likeable characters manipulated into killing each other was last game, that some part of me was actually hoping this day wouldn't come. Intellectually, I knew better.

I knew Monobear would come and I knew the killing competition would come with him, and the game will be better as a game for it, but on some level, I just wanted them to get to know each other, gather hope shards, and become friends. I'm actually not looking forward to seeing them start dying.

Monobear is one of my favorite video game villains. He's hilarious, and clever, and well written (and translated/localized,) and you really get upset at how cruel he is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
OK, I've got a question for Oren and/or Fedule.

orenronen posted:

Enough rabbiting. It’s time to bring our newest development to bear.

Was this wordplay in the original game or did you take a page from the translators of the Asterix comic books and just substitute a completely new joke for an untranslatable one?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OK, I've got a question for Oren and/or Fedule.

Was this wordplay in the original game or did you take a page from the translators of the Asterix comic books and just substitute a completely new joke for an untranslatable one?
Can we please skip the whole "questioning every potentially un-noted change to the script" thing this time around? Honestly, what does knowing one way or the other do for you?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've just caught up again after Christmas, and the game has taken a turn for the brilliant!

And, at least the chef is an equal-opportunity pervert. I'm looking forward to finding out if any of the guys are just as oblivious to his creeping.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Fedule posted:

I feel like this might bring out the absolute worst in the "spoilers disguised as speculation" people. I have no idea why people want to guess at the impossible to guess at this point. There's enough stuff to discuss with what is going on in each update; zooming out twenty hours of gameplay to guess at the endgame is so silly.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im more curious if the game will re-use some of the other bgm tracks from the first games. Beautiful Dead is my favorite ambient BGM from DR1 and I hope it makes a return.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

a spooky ghost posted:

I feel like this might bring out the absolute worst in the "spoilers disguised as speculation" people. I have no idea why people want to guess at the impossible to guess at this point. There's enough stuff to discuss with what is going on in each update; zooming out twenty hours of gameplay to guess at the endgame is so silly.

Because for some reason people are fascinated with the idea of "calling" the twists ever since we began. What reason they have for doing this I don't know, because it's certainly not prestigious and in fact is being cracked down upon now.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
Gotta feel sorry for Monomi. She got beat up by Monobear, apparently had a wooden rod stuffed into her, gets repeatedly punched and kicked, and is made to wear a ridiculous diaper. As annoying as she was, I get the feeling this was meant to be satisfying to the player - and, in a way, it is. But I dunno, the wooden rod being stuffed into her kind of pushes it over the line. Not that I'm complaining, mind. This is totally in-character for Monobear and I for one am totally looking forward to seeing where they plan to go with this and also if we'll get more explanation of that drat rod (assuming it wasn't just a gag.)

Seshoho Cian posted:

I made a gang tag that I feel accurately represents the posters in this thread.

(this is just a joke please don't get mad)

This is amazing and I kind of want one.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

SectumSempra posted:

I think commentary about how the characters seem to be getting a bit more fleshed out to start with then before is interesting.
Maybe it's because of the last game but after this update and comparing it to my reactions to the first, the characters feel somewhat less, generic, for lack of a better word.

:words: oncoming.

The first game played around a lot with player expectations, using typical anime cliches and then either subverting or playing them straight with no indication as to which way things would go, which lent to any generic air about the previous characters. At first, the characters were supposed to feel like stereotypes.

You had the icy arrogant prick in glasses, the shy bookish girl with low self esteem, the old childhood friend who's clearly your main love interest, the noble and proud warrior who seems invincible but still has one person she's yet to defeat, and so on. But while some characters did complete 180s, like Maizono and Fukawa, others were played relatively straight, like Togami, and then there were characters like Sakura who tread some sort of middle-ground, where there were no twists there for the shock value, but still some deep and unexpected character development.

This time around, I feel like instead of playing with expectations based on stereotypes in media, the game's going to play with expectations based on the first game. Already we're seeing some of it. 'This character is a busty athlete who looks like Aoi, so she must be Aoi in disguise', or 'last game we had a boy dressed as a girl so of course this time we'll have a girl dressed as a boy'. Not to mention the blatant in-game situations with Nagito and Togami.

Going back to the first game for a moment, the character development in it could have been missed in its entirety, which also lends a bit to the generic air of the first group. A lot of the characterization we're seeing now in DR2 would have been relegated to optional free time events in DR1, so, like you said, while they might not end up more fleshed out than the previous cast, we're still spending more time with them from the get go, and seeing more of their personalities, sooner.

Whereas previously you still had people who wanted Togami to be murdered in the endgame, or felt Hagakure was too much of a non-character to warrant reaching the endgame at all, it seems like this time, the game is actively trying to get the audience to care about these characters before killing them off, in order to make whatever despair will come that much more poignant.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Author-Man posted:

But I dunno, the wooden rod being stuffed into her kind of pushes it over the line. Not that I'm complaining, mind. This is totally in-character for Monobear and I for one am totally looking forward to seeing where they plan to go with this and also if we'll get more explanation of that drat rod (assuming it wasn't just a gag.)
He used it to put her eye out. The eye is black while he's telling her to hold still and red after that. Not much of a gag, but also not much of the sexual innuendo people seem to want to put to it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Not much of a gag, but also not much of the sexual innuendo people seem to want to put to it.
I got a very strong, and I believe intentional, rapey vibe from it. It wasn't until the next image that we knew what precisely had been done with the rod. Remember, Monobear is all about the innuendo.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

FPzero posted:

Because for some reason people are fascinated with the idea of "calling" the twists ever since we began. What reason they have for doing this I don't know, because it's certainly not prestigious and in fact is being cracked down upon now.

I'm pretty sure the reason is that everyone is jumping over each to be "the guy who called the twist on page 1" like the SystemLogOff in the last thread. Because internet glory is very worthwhile.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Seshoho Cian posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason is that everyone is jumping over each to be "the guy who called the twist on page 1" like the SystemLogOff in the last thread. Because internet glory is very worthwhile.

Although he was technically wrong and admitted as such himself.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
So I'm guessing that there's not a mole in the students this time around, since last time that was Monobear's insurance to make sure that the games would progress even if everyone was reluctant to start the murders.

Now instead of an insider, we have goddamn mechazord enforcers. :stare:

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012
Am I missing something? Why is everyone assuming this is the same Togami and not one of his descendants?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zeeco posted:

Am I missing something? Why is everyone assuming this is the same Togami and not one of his descendants?

He looks, acts, and dresses like him, and shares the same name. Also because it's hilarious to wonder about how he turned from his pole thin self to so extremely obese.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Zeeco posted:

Do you have any theory as to why this would be a Togami descendant? We don't know the timespan between DR1 and DR2, nor the circumstances of why Togami is there and doesn't seem to be saying "Monobear is back again?!"

We are way too early in the game to speculate if this is the real Togami or not, so for now it's just easier to assume that he is actually Togami + a couple hundred pounds. He has the same name, the same SHSL title and similar mannerisms. Random mass guessing gets people nowhere, so why make things more complicated when we have no proof?

Really the "X is actually Y" or the "X is not actually X but someone else!" random guessing are the worst because it's based on flimsy evidence. Do you have any reasonable theory as to why this isn't Togami? If not, then don't act like people shouldn't assume that he is the real Togami.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The first game played around a lot with player expectations, using typical anime cliches and then either subverting or playing them straight with no indication as to which way things would go, which lent to any generic air about the previous characters. At first, the characters were supposed to feel like stereotypes.

This time around, I feel like instead of playing with expectations based on stereotypes in media, the game's going to play with expectations based on the first game. Already we're seeing some of it. 'This character is a busty athlete who looks like Aoi, so she must be Aoi in disguise', or 'last game we had a boy dressed as a girl so of course this time we'll have a girl dressed as a boy'. Not to mention the blatant in-game situations with Nagito and Togami.
Yeah, that's my impression as well - the writers are deliberately invoking these comparisons to the previous game in order to play with our expectations.

(Which is why I find the "you should not speculate based on the events of DR1" argument a bit silly - the writers are obviously expecting us to be familiar with the first game, as evidenced by having characters like Nagito, Akane, and Togami, who very closely resemble characters from DR1.)

Zeeco posted:

Because there's no evidence thus far to indicate a huge timeskip like that. The most likely possibilities at this point are that it's either Togami himself, or someone pretending to be Togami for god knows what reason.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

DaveWoo posted:

Because there's no evidence thus far to indicate a huge timeskip like that. The most likely possibilities at this point are that it's either Togami himself, or someone pretending to be Togami for god knows what reason.

An impostor could make sense, seeing as how DR2's Togami didn't seem to recognize Monobear, but who would want to pose as Togami and what would he want to get out of it?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Perhaps he got his memory manipulated again, and that's why he doesn't remember Monobear? It happened in the first game, there's no reason to think it wouldn't happen again. Still too many possibilities to tell, though.

Personally I think the "Togami" we see is a crossdressing half-cyborg clone of the original sent back in time to act as a mole, it's the only explanation that really makes any sense.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012
If we assume no one was doing any lying then the world was in ruin in the last game. Since the world is fine now it means this game takes place ages later. If there's a guy who looks the same and has the same name and is heir to the same corporation what do you think is a simpler answer: He's a descendant of the same family line? Or he's the same guy going through the same year of school but he's somehow fat now and he's been brainwashed/he's being impersonated/he's lying and employing an elaborate ruse?

We don't have any solid evidence for any theories at this point but everyone is going for the much more complicated answers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fishbait posted:

Sincerely hoping that this gets used, seeing as it's awesome and both threads have provided a ton of worthy targets.
Yes, except we've had one person openly indicate they actually want it, so-

Author-Man posted:

This is amazing and I kind of want one.
... two people actually want it, so it apparently wouldn't work very well as a punishment.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

What I got was a flat line with a note attached saying that Monobear originally used an idiom that had the word "rabbit" in it, and to feel free to substitute anything "clever" that came to mind.

For the time being (read: since we're still in the prologue) I don't really mind coming clean about words that were changed and words that weren't. You'll understand, I hope, that I'm going to be somewhat less talkative once the murder mystery gets rolling.

Zereth posted:

Yes, except we've had one person openly indicate they actually want it, so-

... two people actually want it, so it apparently wouldn't work very well as a punishment.

If people want to be branded SHSL Shitposters, who are we to object?

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010

Zeeco posted:

If we assume no one was doing any lying then the world was in ruin in the last game. Since the world is fine now it means this game takes place ages later. If there's a guy who looks the same and has the same name and is heir to the same corporation what do you think is a simpler answer: He's a descendant of the same family line? Or he's the same guy going through the same year of school but he's somehow fat now and he's been brainwashed/he's being impersonated/he's lying and employing an elaborate ruse?

We don't have any solid evidence for any theories at this point but everyone is going for the much more complicated answers.

Reminder that the Togami family has access to the world's most important secrets and highest classified information. If this Togami were a descendant, he very likely would have read the information gathered by his ancestor about Monobear and SHSL Despair.

And an even more important reminder: we still have no idea when this takes place. The state of the island doesn't necessarily reflect the state of the world, so there's no way of telling whether the rest of the world is fine or not. There is nothing indicating for sure if this is a sequel or a prequel. Maybe I'm just being a grumpy old lady about this but I think we should just accept what the game is telling us- namely that this is the same Togami- and wait until there's more information before disputing it.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
I personally don't want it, but I kind of deserve it for actually getting banned from how lovely my posts were. I'm happy that's changed.

And on the topic of the Voltron/Super Sentai zord things, I really want to see just how those things will be incorperated. After all, other than Monobear's defenders, why would he need five of them?

Wait, there're five islands, so maybe one of them will defend monobear while the others defend the gates?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
This game is redlining the anime and it's wonderful. The Despair Organization was anime as gently caress, which is to be expected if their exemplar and possible inspiration was a racy anime teenage fashion model.

The generic girl classmate looks like Otonashi with short hair, or Gamer Gurrrrrl with brown hair. This is probably meaningless.

And let the people who want to be known as shitposters be known as shitposters. Ironic shitposting and all that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MadRhetoric posted:

The generic girl classmate looks like Otonashi with short hair, or Gamer Gurrrrrl with brown hair. This is probably meaningless.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but wasn't an identical image used in the first game when Monobear was explaining how the whole thing worked?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Well, there are 6 islands, not 5 so the personal defender would prevent a 1 guard per gate system.

They could be used to carry out executions, which mathematically works out.
Maybe do the 'megazord' thing for the final trial...

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

orenronen posted:

Since there seem to be some confusion: Junko and Mukuro were indeed twins. The thing is, in Japan even twins are spearated into the older sibling and the younger sibling -- not just as something kept at the back of the mind, but as something constantly referenced. Linguistically, Japanese has separate words for big brother/sister and little brother/sister, and that's how twins refer to each other, and how people around them refer to them. You always know which of the pair came out first.

I haven't read any papers about the social/psychological implications of this in real life (though I'm sure there are some), but in fiction this is very often reflected by using the regular tropes for older/younger siblings even if the age difference is just a couple of minutes.

I seem to recall reading a cultural note stating that historically, the twin who emerged first was considered the younger twin, the older twin having graciously allowed the younger to go first or the younger preparing the way for the older.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Zeeco posted:

If we assume no one was doing any lying then the world was in ruin in the last game. Since the world is fine now it means this game takes place ages later.

Nope. You are making a huge assumption that every square mile of the entire world was visibly destroyed, and that a single island not being some kind of wasteland somehow proves that we aren't in a post apocalyptic situation.

quote:

If there's a guy who looks the same and has the same name and is heir to the same corporation what do you think is a simpler answer: He's a descendant of the same family line? Or he's the same guy going through the same year of school but he's somehow fat now and he's been brainwashed/he's being impersonated/he's lying and employing an elaborate ruse?

So you think it's a far simpler explanation that, a long time in the future, Byakuya Togami has a descendant who looks just like him, only fatter and who has the same name. Not only that, but Hope's Peak Academy is somehow completely reinstated and the entire world has forgotten about the whole monoworld thing that happened. Or, alternatively the people behind this incident have not only erased some of Fatogami's memory (seeing as how no one seems to remember coming to the island) but also gained an ability to completely fabricate memories of these kid's entire lives in order to make them think they are from a time before the Worst Most Despair Inducing Incident.

You think that is simpler than Togami being fat at some point and having his memory altered, which has happened to him before.

quote:

They sure are! I cant wait to see people's theories about the first murder at this rate.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

KillerEggplant posted:

I seem to recall reading a cultural note stating that historically, the twin who emerged first was considered the younger twin, the older twin having graciously allowed the younger to go first or the younger preparing the way for the older.

That sounds like a perfect way to justify which would be the older child for purposes of succession/sacrifice/other things.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

KillerEggplant posted:

So what happens with triplets then?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Seshoho Cian posted:

So what happens with triplets then?

Ever read Plato's Allegory of the Cave?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Can we please skip the whole "questioning every potentially un-noted change to the script" thing this time around? Honestly, what does knowing one way or the other do for you?

What the hell? I'm legitimately curious about this since I work with translated material a lot as a historian and the actual process of translating things from one language to another interests me.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Can people please shut up about the Togami thing now? Nobody has any clue and there's no clear evidence, but as far as the game has portrayed it is Togami as we know him (but with added weight). Dangan Ronpa likes to play with expectations, so maybe he's not, but assuming and regarding him as something that has no basis whatsoever makes even less sense. Hell, he's had a handful of lines so far and the characters have only just been introduced.

How many times must this be repeated until it's dropped? This is just more baseless speculation and it's more or less just the same arguments on both sides, re-iterated. Can we please move on? Pretty please?

What the hell? I'm legitimately curious about this since I work with translated material a lot as a historian and the actual process of translating things from one language to another interests me.

Remember oren's translation series? He covers translations of note there, anyway. This may come up; although, I can probably take a good guess based on oren's previous translations regarding Monobear. He ends his sentences with -kuma instead of -desu, etc. Oren translates this by making use of bear puns. Something like this will probably come up in his translation note series though, since it hasn't come up in his Dangan Ronpa 2 LP yet (I think).

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Fair enough. Last thread it was a relatively common multi-page derail just about every time orenronen may or may not have taken some artistic/cultural liberty with a translation and didn't bother to footnote it, usually starting with "hey was that in the original script?" and ending with "you should have used THIS word!" "no, THIS word!" It got irritating, to say the very least.

• Locked thread