Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dectilon posted:

That game just doesn't look like it's made for combat at all. It didn't look like the final boss tested your skills at the game so much as "how long can you sway back and forth at the top of the screen?!".

Also I'm disappointed that the boss wasn't a giant pig.

On normal you can afford to do more actual dodging and don't have to exploit his relative blind spots but on hard he takes forever to kill and kills you crazy fast, especially if you die a lot earlier in the game and have no guns.

In spite of its flaws, it's still probably the best of the long line of games bolting combat on to Lunar Lander.

Here's a humorous fact about its development: they made the whole thing without the official dev kit. They hacked together their own using what they'd learned making Amiga demo tapes (the Amiga and Genesis had pretty similar architectures).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

dis astranagant posted:

They hacked together their own using what they'd learned making Amiga demo tapes

Yeah, those names on the hiscore table rang bells - they're pretty much all the guys who did the classic Amiga demo Hardwired back in the day.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You should see their 32x demo It's pretty wild.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Now that you're done I feel like I can draw attention to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-9iA_GJUg

It's been long obsoleted, but the good 11:29 run that he had 2 days ago is buried on his twitch page (http://www.twitch.tv/mikwuyma/b/353516207), and twitch is being ultra lovely lately.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shabadu posted:

Now that you're done I feel like I can draw attention to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-9iA_GJUg

It's been long obsoleted, but the good 11:29 run that he had 2 days ago is buried on his twitch page (http://www.twitch.tv/mikwuyma/b/353516207), and twitch is being ultra lovely lately.

:stare: wow. That is amazing. I wonder what a TAS of this would look like.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Well, that first video beat a TAS by 2 minutes :stare:

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Captain Foo posted:

Lots of crashing into walls and almost dying. Oh, and the whole game beaten on Hard in under 7 minutes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Lots of crashing into walls and almost dying. Oh, and the whole game beaten on Hard in under 7 minutes.

drat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shabadu posted:

Why do youtubers insist on doing the face cam thing? It's like they're actually trying to find new innovative ways to be terrible.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
One of the things I LEAST want to show to strangers on the internet: an actual, honest-to-god picture of my face.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

They annoy me because I know in my heart that I look worse on camera than they do :smith:

Congratulations on beating that game, MeccaPrime. Now like that guy did go do Red Zone :v:

(I had forgotten about both Red Zone AND Sub Terrania from the days of Sega Channel. Sub Terrania frustrated me into quitting by the second level so that was fun to watch!)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fister Roboto posted:

Why do youtubers insist on doing the face cam thing? It's like they're actually trying to find new innovative ways to be terrible.

It's a thing speedrunners do on stream, it proves you're actually playing the game. Well, if failing your run over and over for 8+ hours didn't prove it.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

uPen posted:

It's a thing speedrunners do on stream, it proves you're actually playing the game. Well, if failing your run over and over for 8+ hours didn't prove it.

But wouldn't it be better to put the webcam behind him so we can actually see the dude playing the game instead of making faces and talking? He still could turn around and wave to the camera at least at the beginning and the end, maybe at some suitable moment during the video to prove it's him playing.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Kindly stop talking about facecam.

MechaBread
Dec 17, 2009

Jazzhooves!
Loving the mighty bomb jack updates. Every new video has some ridiculous nonsense that trumps the last's.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

MeccaPrime posted:

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

After sacrificing a virgin goat to the altar of Beelzebub and selling my soul to Satan himself, I finally manage to finish this game in hard mode. There. It's done. God bless. Not kidding - these last two levels (plus the final boss) are the most bullshit parts of the entire game. No mission briefings, no clear direction, maze-like levels, and a crippling descent into alcoholism awaits us in this final update!

Missions 8-9: Youtube

Thank you for joining me on this little segue; it was, uh... fun? Yeah, fun!

I just noticed... does your shield slowly recharge in this game? My friend and I played this for ages, and I never noticed that!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I only noticed it happening during the final boss, I think it's when he respawns with half health, it will slowly charge up to full (assuming he doesn't get hit hahah:suicide: ).

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I did notice that watching my playthrough again. It does look like the shield regenerates over time no matter where you are; thing is, it regens so slowly that it might as well not regen at all. You take more damage over time (on average) than it regenerates. I suppose you could sit on the ground and wait for it to fill (when not fighting a boss), but that would take forever (not to mention that this game is so sadistic that a crab would probably just show up out of nowhere and punch you to death :v:).

Anyway, thanks for the support, I'm glad you guys liked the run! All in all, it was actually fun to do.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's another of those things that kinda almost matters if you're sucking it up on easy or normal. It's still slow but faster and you aren't taking as much damage.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I would really like to see the person who thought "hmm yes let's put secrets over these instadeath pits that are also invisible so the only way you'll find them is by accident or if you're trying to kill yourself".

Mighty Bomb Jack just straight up hates you. Try to get too much time? gently caress you. Try to get too many coins? gently caress you. Want to get the best ending? Get these things we're not going to tell you about. No, we're not going to tell you how many you need, or that you need another item in addition to the secret things we're not telling you about. They couldn't have made the "gently caress you" clearer unless they made a hand come out of the console and flip you off when you finally win. I bet the best ending is just CONGRATULATIONS instead of GOOD JOB or something lovely like that.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There are two versions of today's video. This is the normal one:

Stage thoughts on pastebin!

...and this is something completely different. Either the worst or the best thing I've ever done, decide for yourself.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

...and this is something completely different. Either the worst or the best thing I've ever done, decide for yourself.

The best. Definitely the best.

Sythe2o0
Mar 30, 2010

You can actually dodge the boss' screen-flash-to-one-hitpoint attack if you slide under the middle platform, I believe.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Simply Simon posted:

Amazing. This is the best LP thread.

Also: Mighty Bomb Jack seems to have been made by some insane wizard. It's as though all the arcane poo poo like needing a specific number in the 10's place to unlock something at a certain time is a secret code to something. It's like something out of Mage. :tinfoil:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sythe2o0 posted:

You can actually dodge the boss' screen-flash-to-one-hitpoint attack if you slide under the middle platform, I believe.
Interesting. However, I think the entire boss design is pretty iffy, as I've talked about in the video. I never had any kind of serious trouble, so the first time I did him, I didn't even notice he was getting me to 1 HP, the second time I thought "huh had I really taken that much damage before?" and the third time I caught on, finally, but too late to really try and think of dodging...not that it matters, it's pretty easy to dodge all his shots, many as they might be.
In that, I think it kinda falls flat as a gimmick. As do the "touch Oysters, get dizzy" things...you get hit once per fight and they also damage you, with almost no way to avoid them (unless I'm just bad at bullet hell, as said already). I think it would be better if they did no damage, were still almost unavoidable but came more often, so you can feel the brunt of their poison.

Glad at least a few of you like the alternate video :D.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
The flashing effect is a placeholder honestly. Currently you can see that the screen doesn't flash under the middle platform block, but it's going to be replaced with something more obvious. The oyster buddies attack needs a bit of tweaking though, yeah.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
STATE OF THE ART, HIGH RESOLUTION GRAPHICS? A FREE MEGA MAN STICKER? SIGN ME UP FOR STREET FIGHTER 2010: THE FINAL FIGHT!

WHAT'S WITH THIS GAME?

Street Fighter 2010 is a NES game that was made and released by Capcom in 1990. The game was created as a spinoff of the arcade Street Fighter game that was made back in 1987... at least in America. The game, as it was released in Japan, had absolutely nothing to do with Street Fighter, as it depicted the story of a cyborg policeman named Kevin Striker who has to counter a dangerous viral epidemic that can turn people in fearsome beasts. But for some weird reason, the US localization team decided to base the events twenty years later in the Street Fighter universe and Kevin Striker became Ken, who for some reason decided to become a scientist after retiring from the Street Fighting tournaments.

Yeah, that sounds fully believable. You really want this guy in a lab coat, wearing glasses and mixing solutions in a lab. All while keeping this stance.

Either way, the game itself is a side-scroller game that really doesn't play like Street Fighter at all. You are thrown in many battle arenas around the galaxy and you must defeat a series of enemies or bosses in order to collect their energy in order to warp through the galaxy, tracking down the villain who killed your partner, Troy, and stole a dangerous chemical that can be used to no good. The 5 planets you will be visiting are pretty surrealistic and bizarre, you will be fighting all kind of robots, plants, and really bizarre looking creatures that defy categorization.

The game is pretty drat hard mainly due to a few reasons. First of all, the controls can be quite tricky at first. There's nothing too intuitive with the controls at first and you'll be struggling at first to do many of the actions the game requires you to do, like clinging to a wall or ceiling, do a diagonal kick up in the air by pushing down and B, only being able to punch once in the air, and so on. Also, the many foes you'll fight in the game are very hard to deal with and require a lot of patience. Some levels later on will also require some neat acrobatic moves in order for you to stay alive. At least you aren't completely defenseless: there are powerups in almost every stage of the game that boost your attack power, which will allow you to punch enemies from really far away, but be careful; dying will make you lose all power you obtained. The game's courteous enough to give you infinite continues, so with enough perseverance, you will reach the end of this game.

But just in case you don't have this perseverance, watch as I play through this game for Dectilon's thread.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Planet 1 - Cityscape Planet
Planet 2 - Green, Green and More Green Plants
Planet 3 - Planet Sanddune (yeah, really!)
Planet 4 - Waterworld Without a Budget
Planet 5 - Don't Blow Your (Spinning) Top, Everything's Under Control

Psychedelic Eyeball fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 27, 2013

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wow, I clicked on the AVGN review you mention like half an hour ago because YT recommended it to me. Seeing the cover here again kinda made me start a little, haha.

This actually doesn't look half bad. How does wall-crawling work, does he do it on his own or do you have to press a button? How are the controls apart from the nonsensical button mapping, does it feel tight like other Capcom game (Mega Man...) or looser, with momentum, do you slide a little after each jump?

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Another Psychedelic Eyeball LP? On top of Puddle. Truly this is the best day ever. :allears:

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Simply Simon posted:

Wow, I clicked on the AVGN review you mention like half an hour ago because YT recommended it to me. Seeing the cover here again kinda made me start a little, haha.

This actually doesn't look half bad. How does wall-crawling work, does he do it on his own or do you have to press a button? How are the controls apart from the nonsensical button mapping, does it feel tight like other Capcom game (Mega Man...) or looser, with momentum, do you slide a little after each jump?
You start wall-crawling or clinging on the ceiling whenever you push the jump button. It's not intuitive at first, but as you play the game more and more and play the harder stages of the game, you will get to understand why the designers decided to do this. It ultimately gives you more flexibility in how you approach certain sections.

As for character movement, it's all handled really well. Your character doesn't slip around, you can alter the direction of your jump whenever you want and the game's responsive. The only tricky thing with the controls comes from stuff like doing the diagonal kick and being able to only punch once when you're in the air.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sounds completely in line, then. I can easily see how auto-stick would make it frustratingly impossible with more poo poo flying around. NO DON'T CLING TO THE WALL I JUST WANTED TO DODGE FUUUU

Looking forward to more!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

I absolutely hate this level. The slow scrolling speed makes getting back to where you died take forever, and with only 1 checkpoint in that part, getting booted back to the start of the level every death got old fast. the 2nd and 3rd part of the level are fine, though I've died more times trying to speedrun the 3rd part then I'd like to admit, as trying to rush forward will always get you killed by missles or fish knocking you into a pit. the sheer amount of instant death and autoscroll in this level usually makes it the last level I play.

boss facts: Several random effects he can cause are shaky screen(affects the pause screen too), reversed controls, and being slowed down. His weakness is power glove, just pick up one of the little enemies and throw it at him.

I'm having more fun playing this then the StreetFighterxMegaman fangame Capcom officially endorsed.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

You start wall-crawling or clinging on the ceiling whenever you push the jump button. It's not intuitive at first, but as you play the game more and more and play the harder stages of the game, you will get to understand why the designers decided to do this. It ultimately gives you more flexibility in how you approach certain sections.

As for character movement, it's all handled really well. Your character doesn't slip around, you can alter the direction of your jump whenever you want and the game's responsive. The only tricky thing with the controls comes from stuff like doing the diagonal kick and being able to only punch once when you're in the air.

I remember maybe three things about this game: the weird attacking controls, the bullshit final level, and the music. The music was pretty good :)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tengames posted:

His weakness is power glove, just pick up one of the little enemies and throw it at him.

I think the first time I played his level I got so frustrated at the boss (I try to buster everything) I literally took his own head off with it and threw it at the wall, killing him. Best way to end a fight of that frustration ever :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hell loving yes, I unironically love SF2010. Can't wait to watch when I get home.

Still annoyed my parents got me that instead of SF2 back in the day, though :argh:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I remember Street Fighter 2010. Mostly the music for one of the stages, which I loved the poo poo out of. Awful hard game though.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

That was a thing of beauty. The juxtaposition of your normal soft spoken tone with your random curse made me crack up more than once.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Someone please cut up the video so we have a continuous opera of megaman floating around under the sea getting hit by everything in his little rush pod singing the german classics to himself like a mad man :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Someone please cut up the video so we have a continuous opera of megaman floating around under the sea getting hit by everything in his little rush pod singing the german classics to himself like a mad man :allears:

How about singing the Wagner? The whole Nibelungen cycle as the next stage challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

STATE OF THE ART, HIGH RESOLUTION GRAPHICS? A FREE MEGA MAN STICKER? SIGN ME UP FOR STREET FIGHTER 2010: THE FINAL FIGHT!

Oh drat, I played the poo poo out of this game as a kid and then promptly erased it from my mind. I never got far in it, and I was recently trying to remember what this was called, so this is timed awesomely.

• Locked thread