Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
:siren: :siren: :frogsiren: Welcome to the 2013 Golf Megathread :frogsiren: :siren: :siren:

In this thread we will discuss everything golf related. Individual threads will be made for the major tournaments, but all other discussion can be kept in here. Judging by the chatter in the previous golf thread, this OP will be geared more towards how to get started in the game of golf, as opposed to PGA tour chat(but feel free to talk about that too.) So, without further ado, let's get started.

Golf has a rich history, the modern game of golf was thought to have been started in the 15th or 16th century! The Old Course at St. Andrews has been around since 1574, and is still around today! How is that for tradition?

The oldest tournament is of course the Open Championship, Adam Scott Ernie Els won the 141st installment last summer.

Golf is a very challenging sport, in fact it was scientifically determined to be the hardest sport in the world*. Because of the difficulty though, golf is a VERY rewarding game, and a game that can be enjoyed for a lifetime. In my humble opinion, there isn’t another feeling in sports that feels as good as hitting an iron flush and watching the ball just stick next to the hole. First things first though, we need to go over the basics.

*Probably not true.

ADVICE TO BEGINNERS
Golf is tough(understatement), and starting out can be a little overwhelming. I can't stress enough how helpful it will be to get some beginner's lessons. Most courses will employ a PGA professional or two, and these pros will often hold beginner's clinics or packages aimed at first time golfers. Golf is hard enough as it is, don't make it even harder on yourself by trying to learn via the internet. Sure, some people here are great at giving general advice and small swing tips, but there is no substitute for a good lesson or two. Bad habits are very hard to break in golf(but very easy to start), especially once they become muscle memory, so find a good pro and get yourself started on the right track!

When you are first starting out you will get the most bang for your buck at the driving range, I'd suggest having a few range sessions and then when you are feeling up to it going out to a par 3 course or an executive course until you get some rounds under your belt. It can be frustrating to go right out to a full length course and worry about holding other golfers up. Weekday evenings can be great times to find a wide open course and get some practice in!

EQUIPMENT
By USGA rules you are allowed to carry 14 clubs in your bag, this is normally some combination of driver, fairway wood(s), hybrid(s), irons, wedge(s) & putter. Then you have your miscellaneous items like bag, gloves, tees, balls, repair tool, shoes, etc. Lets start at the top!

First things first, it's nearly impossible to recommend someone a club that will work for them. Golf clubs are very personal things, and some just don't work for some people. For example, I'm ~2 handicap and I hated my R11 driver when I had it, I literally hit it like 70% as far as my previous(and current) driver. The best advice we can give you is to go out and try some clubs for yourself. A lot of golf courses will hold demo days where they will have the latest models of every manufacturer and you can hit until your heart's content. That or stores like Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith will have simulators that you can try, but don't trust those numbers as they can often be inflated, but they are useful in comparing clubs side by side.

Golf is also a somewhat weird sport in that just buying the most expensive equipment will not necessarily help you, and it can certainly hurt you. Just because you see a pro play a set of Titleist MB irons doesn’t mean you should. Unless of course you have to replace your irons every two months because you’ve worn out dime sized spot on the sweet spot of your irons. Fact is you will never be as good of a ball striker as the pros are, you will not hit the sweet spot with every club every time(neither do the pros), so it’s a good idea to pick some clubs that will help minimize the damage of when you do leave that face open, or miss the sweet spot by a quarter of an inch.

Driver

This is your longest club in the bag. Normally used to tee off on some par 4's and most par 5's. This club has the least amount of loft and the longest shaft, making it unforgiving. That said, drivers nowadays are A LOT more forgiving than they were only 10 years ago. Another thing to note is that drivers are A LOT more ugly than they were 10 years ago. The two main components you will be looking at in a driver are the loft and the shaft flex. The loft of course has an effect on how high the ball will go(so do many other factors). Most drivers you will find between 9 and 12 degrees of loft, but you can find lower lofts or higher depending on the club. There isn’t one loft that will fit everyone, but I’d say a good place to start is around 10.5 degrees. Just remember, if you find yourself hitting the ball super high, that doesn’t necessarily mean the loft is too high on your driver, it could just be a poorly fit shaft for your swing. I will not pretend to be an expert on shaft technology and the physics behind them, but in general the faster your swing speed the stiffer the shaft you should play(this is not always true, tempo can have an effect on this too). The best way to figure out which shaft flex to play is to go get fitted or at least demo some drivers and see which kind works best for you.

Fairway Wood

Fairway woods are the next club down in your bag, often used off the tee on shorter par 4's, long par 3's, or from the fairway/light rough on par 5's. Like drivers, you’ll want to consider loft and shaft flex, but you should also consider head shape too. Fairway woods these days fit into two main categories(to me at least), deep faced fairway woods, and shallow faced fairway woods. ‘Deep’ and ‘shallow’ refer to the height of the face, the ‘deeper’ the face, the easier it will be to hit off of a tee but the harder it will be to hit off of the fairway. The opposite is true for ‘shallow’ faced fairway woods.

Hybrids

Hybrids are a mix between an iron and a fairway wood, you might even say that they are a....hybrid of the two. Hybrid irons have taken the golf world by storm in the last 5 years or so, and have really helped golfers of all ages and skill levels with those hard to hit long irons(2,3,4 even 5). They are MUCH more forgiving than a normal long iron, and usually launch the ball much higher. I would highly recommend replacing your 3 or 4(or both) iron with a hybrid. My one bit of advice with hybrids would be to treat them like an iron. I had a hard time adjusting to hybrid clubs because I tried to sweep the ball off the ground with them, like I would with a fairway wood, but it just doesn’t work well with most hybrids. Hit down on the ball like you’re hitting a 7 iron and watch it fly! If you are just starting to golf now, I would say skip trying a 3 or 4 iron and just get hybrids, they will help your enjoyment of the game.

Irons
The irons make up the majority of your set and for most golfers will be the clubs you use to hit into the green from 220-100 yards. This will normally be the most expensive component of your set, so make sure you find some that you like as they aren’t cheap to replace. The good thing about irons(and most golf equipment for that matter) is that they are built to last. It’s not uncommon to see people playing iron sets from the 80’s or 90’s. Of course once you get addicted to golf you will buy new clubs every year for no apparent reason.

Irons fall into three major categories: Players clubs, game improvement clubs and super game improvement clubs. I’m using game improvement rather broadly here, but that’s okay. Most irons have a loft difference of ~4 degrees, this generally makes each iron go about +/- 10 yards further. The lower the number on the iron, the lower the loft, the lower the trajectory, the further the distance.

Players

Players irons are normally musclebacks, blades or even very small cavity backs(I would consider the Mizuno MP-30 or Ping S56 irons to be players clubs, even though they feature a small cavity back). These are the most unforgiving irons on the market but they offer the most ‘workability’ of all the irons. Workability basically means that a good ball striker will be able to shape their shots easier with players irons. This could mean purposefully hooking(draw) the ball, slicing(fade) it, hitting it high, low, etc. While that’s a nice feature of blades, because the majority of the mass is directly behind the sweet spot, off-center hits will have a significant amount of distance loss. This can make players irons difficult to learn with, an overly generalized statement would be to not try playing these until you get close to a single digit handicap.

Game Improvement

Game Improvement irons are, in my opinion, what 90-99% of non-senior golfers should be playing. They have a small to moderate cavity back, and small to moderate offset, making them much more forgiving than the players irons mentioned above. The cavity back redistributes the weight of the iron to the perimeter, meaning off-center hits will fly further and straighter than they would with players clubs. In addition, the center of gravity is often moved lower and further back from the face of the iron making it easier to launch the ball nice and high. I’d recommend these even for beginners, as the super game improvement clubs I find to be somewhat progress limiting.

Super Game Improvement

These irons are your ultra huge cavity backs, offering supreme forgiveness and ease of use. In my opinion these clubs could stunt the growth of a new golfer and I would not recommend them for a young(ish) person who is just starting with golf. I think these are great for maybe really really young players, or older players who have lost a lot of their swing speed and flexibility. But if you are fairly young and can generate a decent amount of clubhead speed than I would look at the game improvement irons above. Don’t let that stop you from trying some of these out though, if they work for you then go for it!

Wedges

Wedges are what most people use from about 100 yards and in. The most lofted clubs in your bag, these are used for short approach shots, chipping/pitching around the green and sand shot. It’s tough to find a club manufacturer that makes a bad wedge, so honestly I’d worry more about what lofts to put in your bag than what brand. The two main factors in picking wedges will be loft(like mentioned above) and bounce. A good explanation of bounce can be found here:

http://www.healthygolfobsession.com/2011/04/wedges-have-bounce-bounce-explained-how.html

Continuing with my theme of generalizations, more bounce will help in soft conditions as it will help the leading edge not dig into the ground, and less bounce will help in harder conditions. Normally a higher bounce makes it easier to hit out of the sand as well.

Most people carry anywhere from 1-4 wedges, I would suggest at the very least to get a sand wedge, especially if you are using a set of game improvement clubs. A sand wedge will be a lot more versatile around the green than a pitching wedge will be, the added loft and head shape make it great for chipping out of the rough or sand next to the green. As you get more consistent you can think about adding a gap wedge or lob wedge to fill out those distance gaps under 130 yards. This OP is already filled with my opinions, but I think there is a lot more benefit to carrying an extra wedge as opposed to a long iron. Here is why:

Let’s say you hit your pitching wedge 120 yards and your sand wedge 80 yards, on a full swing. What do you do when you are only 100 yards from the green? This should be a distance where a good player goes flag hunting, but you’ll have to hit a ¾ swing pitching wedge I guess. This is a shot that a lot of people struggle with, I think most people will agree it’s tougher to take a ½ or ¾ swing than it is to take a full swing. If you carried a gap wedge(fits in between the pitching wedge and SW), then you might have closer to a full swing shot that will go 110 yards. I’d much rather have my distance gaps covered in that 80-140 yard range than I would in my 210-230 yard range. Honestly I’m probably going to miss the green from 220 yards anyways, so carrying that 3 iron or hybrid isn’t helping me as much as carrying another wedge.

Putters

The putter is what you use when you finally reach the green. I think the putter gets overlooked by a lot of golfers. I’m not saying you need to spend a ton of money on a putter, but I am saying it’s the most used club in your bag so you should make sure you have one you like. Luckily for you these are the easiest clubs to try out as most golf stores have 100’s of them sitting on racks waiting to be putted with. Go stroke some putts and figure out what head shape you like(blade or mallet), how heavy, what color, what site aids, head material, shaft length, etc. That sounds really confusing but really don’t think of it that way, go grab a few and hit some putts and pick one that allows you to hit the ball where you want and how far you want. Don’t sit and hit 30 footers from one side of the practice green to the other, set up some balls from 3 feet, 6 feet and maybe 10 feet and pick the putter that gives you the best chance to make putts.

Balls

Balls are another portion of your equipment that get overlooked, but are a very important part of your 'kit'. I'd wager that most regular golfers spend as much money on golf balls in their career as they do on clubs. It can be beneficial to play a ball that suits your game, and it can be detrimental to do otherwise.

There is kind of a tier system when it comes to golf balls, you have your tour quality balls:

These are usually a four or now five piece ball which optimize spin, trajectory, and distance for the best players. These are generally around $45/dozen new! Also, there is generally two kinds of tour balls put out by each manufacturer, one model will offer the maximum softness and spin, with a small loss of distance(like 5-7 yards for the pros I think), while the other will offer slightly less spinability, and slightly more distance.

The next tier down usually go for around $25-30 a dozen, these will offer good distance, and a moderate amount of spin, but will feel a little harder.

The bottom tier is your $10-15/dozen bargain buster balls. These feel like rocks, and will offer nothing but blind distance. These balls will not spin anywhere near as much as the top of the line balls, or even the second tier balls, but for beginners that's not too much of a concern, the main concern is you don't feel as bad about losing one in the woods.

This is another portion of golf equipment where more expensive /= improvement to your game. If you are a beginner and you struggle with slicing the ball then guess what. Buying a dozen Pro V1’s is not going to help you. The Pro V1 will spin more than the Top Flite in your bag which means it’s going to go even further right than you’re used to. And remember that every time you slice one of those in the woods you are basically wiping your rear end with $4 and flushing it down the toilet. Of course you are buying your balls from lostgolfballs.com though, so it won’t be quite that expensive . So keep that in mind, it would take a lot of time to list out the tiers of each manufacturer's golf ball line, but if you have questions just ask in this thread, or you can usually judge by the price alone, there aren't any real tricks to the pricing scheme.

Top Tier: $40+. Some brands will offer buy 2 dozen get 1 free deals, Taylor made, Srixon and Nike come to mind. Forget about finding Titleist Pro V1's on sale.
2nd Tier: $30-$37
3rd Tier: <$25

Courses and Course Etiquette

Now that you have your clubs and you are ready to play, where should you go? Good news, The United States currently has around 20,000 golf courses! Of course not all of those are open to the public, but that’s okay, there are plenty of courses for us lowly public course golfers.

There are really 2 or 3 different types of courses. First we have Par 3 courses. These courses feature a full 9 or 18 hole layout of all par 3’s, with a par of 27/54. These are GREAT courses to learn on. You can play pretty quickly and normally they are filled with other beginner’s, younger kids or older folks. I would highly recommend finding a par 3 course in your area and play there for your first couple rounds. These can also be good to play if you want to work on your iron and wedge play as you’ll most likely be keeping your woods in the bag.

Next we have Championship courses. These are normally full 18 hole layouts(some are only 9 holes), they normally have a par of 68-74 or so. These make up the majority of golf courses out there and once you start playing a lot you’ll most likely prefer these courses.

Lastly there are Executive courses. Normally 9 holes, these are a slightly pumped up version of a par 3 course. They normally mix in a few par 4’s so that you might get a chance to use your driver.

I hear from a lot of people that they’d love to golf more, but can’t afford it. I can understand this as golf can be quite expensive, but it can also be done on the cheap. Do a google search for golf courses in your area and start browsing their websites. The cheapest time to play is normally evening weekdays, most courses have what they call a ‘twilight’ rate. As long as you get a tee time near the start of twilight you can normally finish a whole round at a much discounted price. Getting a golf cart will normally ~double the cost of the round in these situations, so keep that in mind. If your back is up to it then carrying your clubs can save a lot of money, otherwise making a onetime investment in one of these can save you money in the long run.

Another great option is to see if golfnow.com has a big presence in your area. Golfnow is a website that you can use to book tee times to any participating course. Courses will put up tee times they are looking to fill and you just click and reserve. The savings here can be huge though, I’ve played $100 courses for $30 before using golfnow. It ALWAYS pays to check here before you book your tee time through the courses pro shop because they usually won’t tell you to book on Golfnow, they will just charge you the rack rate.

As far as etiquette goes, there is a real short list that should always be followed. You can be the worst golfer in the world and I'd rather golf with you than someone who doesn't follow these simple rules.

Etiquette Short List
- Play Ready Golf!!!
- Be quiet while others are hitting.
- Replace/fill your divots.
- Fix your ball marks on the green.
- Don't walk in another player's line while on the green(don't walk in between your ball and the hole, your footprint could damage the green).
- Let faster groups play through.
- Let faster groups play through.
- If there is a quicker group playing behind you, let them play through.

It honestly boils down to being respectful to your fellow players and the course. This is a gentlemen's game after all.

Well I think that’s enough for now, here is the TLDR version:

Advice to beginner’s
-Demo as many clubs as possible before you buy something.
-Buy used clubs.
-Get a set of lessons EARLY.
-Start on par 3 or executive courses.
-Be patient, golf is hard.
-Practice a lot and have fun!

Links

Places to buy golf stuff

https://www.gppgolf.com – Has more sales than any other golf site I’ve been on. Especially great for golf clothing.

https://www.golfwrx.com/forum - Probably the best golf classified section on the internet. You can get some ridiculous deals on used clubs here, only thing to keep in mind is that it’s home to a lot of ‘good’ players, so might be tougher to find game improvement stuff here.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com - large selection of used clubs(both Callaway and other brands), good prices, great customer service, honest club condition rating system.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com - Amazing prices on new clubs. The selection is a little awkward but if you are okay with clubs that are a generation or two old this is a great option.

https://www.globalgolf.com - I haven't used this site before but a few people here have. They offer new and used clubs.

https://www.hurricanegolf.com - Another goon recommendation, it looks like they have a weekly deal which is heavily discounted, along with good prices on other stuff as well.

https://www.lostgolfballs.com – Used golf balls. Sounds dumb but it’s likely this site will save you more money than all these other ones combined. I buy most of my balls from here and am not ashamed to say it. Discount from retail is usually in the 50-80% range. Buy 2nd best quality if buying pro level balls, buy 2nd or 3rd quality if buying cheaper/harder cover balls.

https://www.tgw.com - Large selection, usually full retail price.

https://www.golfgalaxy.com – Large selection, usually full retail price.

https://www.golfnow.com - Tee time website, will save you a lot of money, see if it’s used heavily in your area and book those tee times. Also good for when you go on vacation somewhere and want to save a little money.

Although the absolute best place to buy used clubs is from me, so buy my crap please.

Everyone can now discuss what’s in their bag for 2013, what part of my OP is hilariously incorrect, who’s going to dominate on tour this year, and whether or not osukeith will rant about Tiger Woods once every page or once every two pages. I think BCRock volunteered to take over 2nd post duties to keep up to date with the PGA Tour and everything, so a big thanks to him because when I tried to do that I lasted about 2 weeks.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
This post will be for information on the PGA Tour and other professional golf info.

Current Top 10 in Offical World Golf Ranking
    1. Tiger Woods
    2. Rory McIlroy
    3. Adam Scott
    4. Justin Rose
    5. Brandt Snedeker
    6. Luke Donald
    7. Louis Oosthuizen
    8. Graeme McDowell
    9. Steve Stricker
    10. Phil Mickelson

Full list can be found here: http://www.owgr.com/.

Official 2013 PGA Tour Schedule (:siren: indicates a Major :siren:)

Tournament: Hyundai Tournament of Champions
Course: Plantation Course at Kapalua - Maui, HI
Dates: Jan 4-7
Defending Champion: Steve Stricker
Winner: Dustin Johnson (-16)

Tournament: Sony Open
Course: Waialae CC - Honolulu, HI
Dates: Jan 10-13
Defending Champion: Johnson Wagner
Winner: Russell Henley (-24)

Tournament: Humana Challenge
Course: PGA West (Palmer Course) - La Quinta, CA
Dates: Jan 17-20
Defending Champion: Mark Wilson
Winner: Brian Gay

Tournament: Farmers Insurance Open
Course: Torrey Pines (South) - La Jolla, CA
Dates: Jan 24-27
Defending Champion: Brandt Snedeker
Winner: Tiger Woods

Tournament: Waste Management Phoenix Open
Course: TPC Scottsdale - Scottsdale, AZ
Dates: Jan 31-Feb 3
Defending Champion: Kyle Stanley
Winner: Phil Mickelson

Tournament: AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
Course: Pebble Beach Golf Links - Pebble Beach, CA
Dates: Feb 7-10
Defending Champion: Phil Mickelson
Winner: Brandt Snedeker

Tournament: Northern Trust Open
Course: Riviera CC - Pacific Palisades, CA
Dates: Feb 14-17
Defending Champion: Bill Haas
Winner: John Merrick

Tournament: World Golf Championships - Accenture Match Play Championship
Course: Ritz-Carlton GC, Dove Mountain - Marana, AZ
Dates: Feb 20-24
Defending Champion: Hunter Mahan
Winner: Matt Kuchar

Tournament: The Honda Classic
Course: PGA National Championship Course - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Dates: Feb 28-3
Defending Champion: Rory McIlroy
Winner: Michael Thompson

Tournament: Puerto Rico Open
Course: Trump Intrntl GC - Puerto Rico
Dates: Mar 7-10
Defending Champion: George McNeill
Winner: Scott Brown

Tournament: World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship
Course: TPC Blue Monster at Doral, Miami, FL
Dates: Mar 7-10
Defending Champion: Justin Rose

Tournament: Tampa Bay Championship
Course: Innisbrook Resort - Copperhead, Palm Harbor, FL
Dates: Mar 14-17
Defending Champion: Luke Donald
Winner: Kevin Streelman

Tournament: Arnold Palmer Invitational
Course: Bay Hill Club & Lodge, Orlando, FL
Dates: Mar 21-24
Defending Champion: Tiger Woods

Tournament: Shell Houston Open
Course: Redstone GC Tournament Course, Humble, TX
Dates: Mar 28-31
Defending Champion: Hunter Mahan
Winner: D.A. Points

Tournament: Valero Texas Open
Course: JW Marriott, TPC San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
Dates: Apr 4-7
Defending Champion: Ben Curtis
Winner: Marin Laird

Tournament: :siren:The Masters:siren:
Course: Augusta National GC, Augusta, GA
Dates: Apr 11-14
Defending Champion: Bubba Watson
Winner: Adam Scott

Tournament: RBC Heritage
Course: Harbour Town Golf Links, Hilton Head, SC
Dates: Apr 18-21
Defending Champion: Carl Pettersson
Winner: Graeme McDowell

Tournament: Zurich Classic of New Orleans
Course: TPC Louisiana, Avondale, LA
Dates: Apr 25-28
Defending Champion: Jason Dufner
Winner: Billy Horschel

Tournament: Wells Fargo Championship
Course: Quail Hollow Club, Charlotte, NC
Dates: May 2-5
Defending Champion: Rickie Fowler
Winner: Derek Ernst

Tournament: THE PLAYERS Championship
Course: TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Dates: May 9-12
Defending Champion: Matt Kuchar

Tournament: HP Byron Nelson Championship
Course: TPC Four Seasons Resort, Irving, TX
Dates: May 16-19
Defending Champion: Jason Dufner
Winner: TBD

Tournament: Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial
Course: Colonial CC, Ft. Worth, TX
Dates: May 23-26
Defending Champion: Zach Johnson

Tournament: Memorial Tournament
Course: Muirfield Village GC, Dublin, OH
Dates: May 30-Jun 2

Tournament: FedEx St. Jude Classic
Course: TPC Southwind, Memphis, TN
Dates: Jun 6-9
Defending Champion: Dustin Johnson

Tournament: :siren:U.S. Open:siren:
Course: Merion GC, Ardome, PA
Dates: Jun 13-16
Defending Champion: Webb Simpson

Tournament: Travelers Championship
Course: TPC River Highlands, Cromwell, CT
Dates: Jun 20-23
Defending Champion: Marc Leishman

Tournament: CVS Caremark Charity Classic
Course: Rhode Island CC, Barrington, RI
Dates: Jun 24-25
Defending Champion: Jay Haas

Tournament: AT&T National
Course: Congressional Country Club, Bethesda, MD
Dates:Jun 27-30

Tournament: The Greenbrier Classic
Course: The Old White TPC, White Sulphur Springs, WV
Dates: Jul 4-7
Defending Champion: Ted Potter Jr.

Tournament: John Deere Classic
Course: TPC Deere Run, Silvis, IL
Dates: Jul 11-14
Defending Champion: Zach Johnson

Tournament: True South Classic
Course: Annandale GC, Madison, MS
Dates: Jul 18-21
Defending Champion: Scott Stallings

Tournament: :siren:The Open Championship:siren:
Course: Muirfield, East Lothian
Dates: Jul 18-21
Defending Champion: Ernie Els

Tournament: RBC Canadian Open
Course: Glen Abbey GC, Oakville, Ontario
Dates: Jul 25-28
Defending Champion: Scott Piercy

Tournament: Reno-Tahoe Open
Course: Montreux G&CC, Reno, NV
Dates: Aug 1-4
Defending Champion: J.J. Henry

Tournament: World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational
Course: Firestone CC (South Course), Akron, OH
Dates: Aug 1-4
Defending Champion: Keegan Bradley

Tournament: :siren:PGA Championship:siren:
Course: Oak Hill CC, Rochester, NY
Dates: Aug 8-11

Tournament: Wyndham Championship
Course: Sedgefield Country Club, Greensboro, NC
Dates: Aug 15-18
Defending Champion: Sergio Garcia

Tournament: The Barclays
Course: Liberty National Golf Club, Jersey City, NJ
Dates: Aug 22-25
Defending Champion: Nick Watney

Tournament: Deutsche Bank Championship
Course: TPC Boston, Norton, MA
Dates: Aug 30-Sep 2

Tournament: BMW Championship
Course: Conway Farms Golf Club, Lake Forest, IL
Dates: Sep 12-15

Tournament: TOUR Championship
Course: East Lake GC, Atlanta, GA
Dates: Sep 19-22
Defending Champion: Brandt Snedeker

Tournament: The Presidents Cup
Course: Muirfield Village GC, Dublin, OH
Dates: Oct 3-6
Defending Champion: USA

2013 FedEx Cup Points Leaders
code:
Rank  Player             Points
1     Tiger Woods        2340
2     Brandt Snedeker    1474
3     Kevin Streelman    1234
4     Billy Horschel     1205
5     Matt Kuchar        1089

BCRock fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 14, 2013

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Hey DoctaFun, we should try to get into a few scrambles together this year like we tried to late last if you're going to be around MN this spring/summer. Looking at mngolf scramble winning scores from the past season I think we could clean up some gift cards...

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Hey DoctaFun, we should try to get into a few scrambles together this year like we tried to late last if you're going to be around MN this spring/summer. Looking at mngolf scramble winning scores from the past season I think we could clean up some gift cards...

Absolutely, it's one of the thing I always talk about doing more but never get off my butt and sign up for. Let's plan on it! I've never done 2 person scrambles but I'm sure they'd be fun, and you shouldn't have to worry about cheating teams.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Love the thread title!

Now if the weather would just allow some golf to be played we could enjoy the start of the season.

Question: what are "bonded" drivers? Are they just standard, fixed shaft, clubs? I am planning on finishing out my bag this year with a new driver, 3W and a maybe a new hybrid, but I keep seeing these RBZ Bonded or Tour or TP and it's confusing.

I got enough in gift cards to Dick's to pick up 2 new clubs, and I will be trying out different ones of course but does anyone recommend a driver? I'm around a 19 handicap, and my 2013 goal is to drop 5 strokes off that.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Douchebag posted:

Love the thread title!

Now if the weather would just allow some golf to be played we could enjoy the start of the season.

Question: what are "bonded" drivers? Are they just standard, fixed shaft, clubs? I am planning on finishing out my bag this year with a new driver, 3W and a maybe a new hybrid, but I keep seeing these RBZ Bonded or Tour or TP and it's confusing.

I got enough in gift cards to Dick's to pick up 2 new clubs, and I will be trying out different ones of course but does anyone recommend a driver? I'm around a 19 handicap, and my 2013 goal is to drop 5 strokes off that.

Yup, normally means that the shafts are hot glued / epoxy set into the shaft instead of needing a tip. Makes the driver sound more muted like what you hear on the tour, and gets rid of those unsightly tips.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

zinc68 posted:

Yup, normally means that the shafts are hot glued / epoxy set into the shaft instead of needing a tip. Makes the driver sound more muted like what you hear on the tour, and gets rid of those unsightly tips.

So basically it's probably better for someone with a higher handicap, like me, to use a bonded driver so I'm not screwing myself by tinkering with adjustments and developing a more consistent swing? I could see myself slicing a drive, then adjusting it and duck hooking the next one, then adjusting it again, only to slice it on the 3rd shot. Which would be counter-productive I think.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Loving this thread title. :)

Got 2 lessons at a new place in town for Christmas. Winter tune-up gently caress yeah

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Has anyone used the new Callaway X Utility Prototype? Posts on GolfWRX seem to be pretty positive, but I have never spent so much on a single club as these start at $200. I have also been reading rumors that these will be in limited production only.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Douchebag posted:

So basically it's probably better for someone with a higher handicap, like me, to use a bonded driver so I'm not screwing myself by tinkering with adjustments and developing a more consistent swing? I could see myself slicing a drive, then adjusting it and duck hooking the next one, then adjusting it again, only to slice it on the 3rd shot. Which would be counter-productive I think.

Depends on how patient you are and how much you actually want to improve your game instead of band-aid it. I went the hard / long way and have always used "tour" style clubs my entire life, but it has really paid dividends for my game right now.

I'd say the most important thing is to first make sure your swing is loading the shaft properly and after you have that down start looking into dialing in your equipment.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Douchebag posted:

I think part of it depends on the driver you get. Some adjustable drivers like the new Ping one only allow like +/- 1/2 degree of adjustability, this isn't going to hide any major flaw in your swing, which I think is a good thing. I think some of the Taylor Made adjustable drivers offer a ton of adjustability which could potentially mask some swing flaws. That could be good for you if it helps you keep the ball in play more, but it's not going to do much to help you fix your swing, and your other woods and irons won't be adjusted the same way so that could possibly cause some inconsistencies. I personally haven't had any luck with adjustable drivers though, I tried the Nickent Evolver, R11, Callaway Ft-9(not adjustable but interchangeable shafts) and every single one was dead for me. I have no idea why, I hit the R11 like 220 yards(which is like 50-60 yards shorter than my G15), sold it to my uncle and he hits it as far as his normal driver. I guess it's possible I just mishit it every single time, but that doesn't seem all that likely to me...

I might not be the best person to give driver advice though, I go Bubba Watson style and play a big cut with my driver even though I hit a draw with all my irons. Sounds weird but I went back to this method after 3 years of trying to hit it 'normal' and I kept the ball in play and in the fairway very well last year.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Holy Crap, did anyone see the Tournament of Champions this weekend? Probably not because after Sunday they STILL haven't played round 1. They tried to play today but balls were being blown off of tees, greens, etc.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Holy Crap, did anyone see the Tournament of Champions this weekend? Probably not because after Sunday they STILL haven't played round 1. They tried to play today but balls were being blown off of tees, greens, etc.

I have tried to watch some all weekend, usually the late night replays and it's been pure comedy. Did they start/stop 3 times or just Friday and Sunday? Golf channel has shown all of the cancelled rounds, and it's been fun to watch these guys keep it together.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah it's pretty funny. I saw someone hit a ball within a foot from the cup, right as he sticks his hand in his pocket to mark it it starts rolling from the wind to about 8 feet away.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Hurray for new thread! Got my first round of the year in on Saturday, shot an 82. Pretty decent for 0 warmup and having not played or swung a club since Thanksgiving. I've been putting off upgrading clubs for a little while now, originally I was only going to upgrade my driver and 3wood, but I think I might snag some new irons for the new season too.

Also might buy my first golf membership! Local course I play from time to time that I consider one of the best public courses in the Charlotte area is only $1100 a year which I didn't know about. Normally a spring/summer/fall round is $60-80 so the cost is worth it, plus its free range balls too. Should be a good 2013 season!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

thebushcommander posted:

Also might buy my first golf membership! Local course I play from time to time that I consider one of the best public courses in the Charlotte area is only $1100 a year which I didn't know about. Normally a spring/summer/fall round is $60-80 so the cost is worth it, plus its free range balls too. Should be a good 2013 season!

Getting a membership was one of the best things I ever did for my golf game. I just head over to my course after work 3 days a week or so and if it's super busy I hit balls at the range or I just hop out there and play.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Getting a membership was one of the best things I ever did for my golf game. I just head over to my course after work 3 days a week or so and if it's super busy I hit balls at the range or I just hop out there and play.

Speaking of, I'm looking to join somewhere this spring as well. Where you at Stoneridge or Stonebrooke? HOw do you like it?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Speaking of, I'm looking to join somewhere this spring as well. Where you at Stoneridge or Stonebrooke? HOw do you like it?

I'm at Stoneridge and I really like it there. If you are under 35 it's a really good deal for a course as nice as Stoneridge. The Junior Executive membership is $1800 and it includes unlimited golf with no restrictions on tee times, unlimited range usage and a half locker in the locker room.

It's about as close to private as you'll get from a public course. They have a really nice locker room with a member's lounge(which is also really nice). They have a pretty good range(with a member's only side), practice green, two practice bunkers, and a very very friendly staff. Everyone in the pro shop knows every member's name and are just really cool guys. They run a lot of events throughout the year if you are in to that sort of thing as well, lots of tournaments with many different formats.

The course is also fantastic, it's about as nice as public courses get in the twin cities, although if you don't like links golf it might not be for you. Plenty difficult though, if you are playing from the tips and there's some wind it's very challenging(I think course rating is like 74.1 or something). The greens are tough(but not unfair) and the fairways are always in great shape(gotta love bentgrass).

I don't remember if you've played there before or not, but if you want to play a round in the spring let me know and I can show you around.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I'm at Stoneridge and I really like it there. If you are under 35 it's a really good deal for a course as nice as Stoneridge. The Junior Executive membership is $1800 and it includes unlimited golf with no restrictions on tee times, unlimited range usage and a half locker in the locker room.

It's about as close to private as you'll get from a public course. They have a really nice locker room with a member's lounge(which is also really nice). They have a pretty good range(with a member's only side), practice green, two practice bunkers, and a very very friendly staff. Everyone in the pro shop knows every member's name and are just really cool guys. They run a lot of events throughout the year if you are in to that sort of thing as well, lots of tournaments with many different formats.

The course is also fantastic, it's about as nice as public courses get in the twin cities, although if you don't like links golf it might not be for you. Plenty difficult though, if you are playing from the tips and there's some wind it's very challenging(I think course rating is like 74.1 or something). The greens are tough(but not unfair) and the fairways are always in great shape(gotta love bentgrass).

I don't remember if you've played there before or not, but if you want to play a round in the spring let me know and I can show you around.

I have not played there yet, heard great things, I'll def. take you up on that this spring. 1800 for a year of golf at one of the best courses around here is a steal..

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I wish LA had some reasonable options for unlimited play memberships. I can either pay $5,000/year for a membership at a public course 1-2 hours away, or pay $100K for a membership at a private course nearby. The former is too far away to use as an after work practice facility and the latter is just not an option.

I'm stuck with paying for every round and every bucket of range balls at the local public courses. At least there are a lot of them and I can't complain about getting to play 365 days a year. I didn't track it too closely, but I estimate that I paid around $1600 for range balls alone last year, and that's with a 20% discount for buying range keys, which was a new thing for my home course last year.

I brought my video camera to the range last week and edited down some swings. I need to get the stall on the end of the range next time so I can get some face-on shots.

A montage of shots with a bunch of different clubs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbBfth4xtZE

And a slow-mo of a driver swing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeMNzpnLZPE

Feel free to critique the swing. I'm working on getting my hands higher and less inside at the top of my backswing.

insanity
Oct 7, 2005

BCRock posted:

A montage of shots with a bunch of different clubs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbBfth4xtZE

And a slow-mo of a driver swing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeMNzpnLZPE

Feel free to critique the swing. I'm working on getting my hands higher and less inside at the top of my backswing.

I love your tempo, it's silky smooth! Also you seem like a really tall dude, not sure if that's true or that's just the perspective of the camera, so you have your clubs bent at all?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
You caught me at a moment when I'm super bored at work.

Some things I've noticed, and I'm just regurgitating my own lessons:

Michael Breed and all my instructors want the back of the shaft (end of the grip) at address pointing to your belt buckle, yours is a little high.

Your swing plane hard core on the inside, whats your normal miss? A pull or a slice/fade? I'm guess a pull because it looks like your swing is really inside-out. You come inside on your backswing and again on your downswing.

I know how to fix an outside-in swing, but I don't know about the inside-out swing. I'd just try to keep that shaft on that same swing plane that the stagnant yellow line is on, your shaft at address, when viewed from behind, is where you want your swing plane to be.

More knowledgeable goons can correct me if I'm wrong, like I said I'm very new myself and just repeating what I've learned so far.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah, I'm 6'4". My irons are all +1", but standard lie angles. I'm way overdue for a real fitting since these are just ones I picked up off of a rack that seemed to fit when I bought them almost 2 years ago.

I'm really tempted to call up Titleist down in Carlsbad to do their fancy Tour Fitting thing, but I'm concerned about being limited to only one brand of clubs.

Edit: I think the video is a little bit misleading since it's not dead behind me. My stance pretty square, but it looks more closed than it really is due to the angle and the fish-eye look that the wide-angle lens on the camera has. My takeaway is definitely a little inside, but not as extreme as it looks on that video. It's something I'm working on for sure though.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 7, 2013

insanity
Oct 7, 2005

BCRock posted:

Yeah, I'm 6'4". My irons are all +1", but standard lie angles. I'm way overdue for a real fitting since these are just ones I picked up off of a rack that seemed to fit when I bought them almost 2 years ago.

I'm really tempted to call up Titleist down in Carlsbad to do their fancy Tour Fitting thing, but I'm concerned about being limited to only one brand of clubs.

Edit: I think the video is a little bit misleading since it's not dead behind me. My stance pretty square, but it looks more closed than it really is due to the angle and the fish-eye look that the wide-angle lens on the camera has. My takeaway is definitely a little inside, but not as extreme as it looks on that video. It's something I'm working on for sure though.

Also what is your normal miss? You seem to be holding the club closed and you can tell because at the top of the swing, the clubface is pointed almost at the sky.

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

It also looks like, with your driver especially, you might be standing too far away from the ball? You look to be a bit uncomfortably stretched towards your toes.

The one thing you do really well is start the downswing with your lower body. That is about as good a job driving the lower body first as you'll see from an amateur.

The other thing I see is the clubhead passing your hands very soon after impact. You're definitely flipping the clubhead over to an extent and rolling the hands over hard through impact which I bet is hard to time (especially for someone like you with higher swing speed). Pull that club around your body through impact and after and I feel like you will see much improved consistency.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

insanity posted:

Also what is your normal miss? You seem to be holding the club closed and you can tell because at the top of the swing, the clubface is pointed almost at the sky.

Normal miss these days is a push, with an occasional push-slice thrown in there. I very rarely hook the ball, but my normal shot shape when everything is working correctly is a very small draw.

Yaphet posted:

It also looks like, with your driver especially, you might be standing too far away from the ball? You look to be a bit uncomfortably stretched towards your toes.

The one thing you do really well is start the downswing with your lower body. That is about as good a job driving the lower body first as you'll see from an amateur.

The other thing I see is the clubhead passing your hands very soon after impact. You're definitely flipping the clubhead over to an extent and rolling the hands over hard through impact which I bet is hard to time (especially for someone like you with higher swing speed). Pull that club around your body through impact and after and I feel like you will see much improved consistency.

Agree 100% on all of this. I went through a weird phase at the end of last year where I was standing way too close to the ball, so I think I've over-corrected and now I'm reaching out for it too much. I had a lesson on Friday and that's the first thing my instructor noticed. That should be an easy fix.

I'm also working on holding my wrist angle longer and pulling my left arm through the shot, instead of releasing that lag early, like you pointed out. I notice a huge difference in how the ball comes off the clubface when I actually pull it off, but that's probably been the single most difficult change to make to my swing so far.

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

BCRock posted:

Normal miss these days is a push, with an occasional push-slice thrown in there. I very rarely hook the ball, but my normal shot shape when everything is working correctly is a very small draw.

Agree 100% on all of this. I went through a weird phase at the end of last year where I was standing way too close to the ball, so I think I've over-corrected and now I'm reaching out for it too much. I had a lesson on Friday and that's the first thing my instructor noticed. That should be an easy fix.

I'm also working on holding my wrist angle longer and pulling my left arm through the shot, instead of releasing that lag early, like you pointed out. I notice a huge difference in how the ball comes off the clubface when I actually pull it off, but that's probably been the single most difficult change to make to my swing so far.

Here is an excellent video of Tiger with commentary on exactly what I was talking about. I always try to not let the top of the grip point towards my body until after impact. That guarantees you won't flip to clubhead, keeps the club leaning forward, and keeps attack angle much more shallow (and thus consistent). I wouldn't think of it as "holding the angle" because I feel like that just tenses people up and brings too much attention to the hands when your main priority should be rotating your body (which will give you the angles you want automatically). I would say practice this with shorter clubs first...it's easier and you'll notice a huge difference in the feel at contact, the sound, and the ball flight.

Yaphet fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 7, 2013

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
That video is great. Definitely going to try thinking of pulling the grip through/not letting the end point at my body until after impact tomorrow since actively thinking about holding that wrist angle just doesn't help.

Here are some face-on videos of my swing and it's very clear that in every swing I'm casting/releasing early. It's incredibly consistent where it happens and obviously I've managed to make my swing work that way, but I really want to figure out what I need to do to stop it.

A bunch of swings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-WAAJTs4g0

Slow-mo 3 wood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_5LjeUAkms

And here is where you can see the early release. Same spot on every swing.

A few more Driver/3W swings, DTL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyiMSzVKMxU

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

Well at the very least the dude behind you seemed to like your swing.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hmmm is page one too early to start hawking all my golf goods? I have a putter and three 3 woods that need good homes.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

DoctaFun posted:

Hmmm is page one too early to start hawking all my golf goods? I have a putter and three 3 woods that need good homes.

I'm actually in need of a three wood. So I'm going to go with no.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Gibbo posted:

I'm actually in need of a three wood. So I'm going to go with no.

Booyah! Well here's what I have, let me know if any interest you or if you want more info:

3. Callaway Razr X Black 3 wood, stock stiff shaft. $95 shipped
I bought this from Callaway Golf Preowned about a month ago and haven't even used it once :(. I live in MN so it's a long winter. Club is in fantastic shape, definitely a 9.5/10.

2. Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood, non-stock Matrix OZIK XCon 6 Stiff shaft. $130 Shipped
Great shaft in this bad boy, but same story as above, haven't had a chance to try it :(. The face and topline are in great shape, but the sole is a little scratched up.

3. Nike Vrs 3 wood, stock Fubuki Stiff Shaft. $80 Shipped

I've been using this one since the late summer and I quite like it, so I won't be too torn up if it doesn't sell. There is a small scratch on the topline, but besides that it's in great shape.

Prices are negotiable as always, but I think they are pretty reasonable, I tried to price them under the Callaway golf preowned prices. I've honestly never hit the Callaways. I'd be more than happy to post in SA Mart also if it makes you more comfortable, although I think a few people in here could vouch for me. Either way works for me! I took those pictures last night and posted them for sale on Golfwrx as well, PhilTickelson is my username on that forum. I can take another picture tonight with all the clubs and 'Doctafun' next to it if needed.

I also have one of these for sale:
I won't post my pictures because :effort:, but if anyone's interested in channeling their inner Phil, I will post them. I'm looking for like $85 I think.
http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/odyssey-metal-x-8-putter/putters-2012-metal-x-8,default,pd.html

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

DoctaFun why can't you be left-handed :doom:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I bought a couple of clubs from DoctaFun back in 2011 that are still in my bag today, so I can vouch for his credibility. Buy without concern!

What does everyone eat/drink during a round of golf? I walk 95% of my rounds and I never stop at the turn to eat a real lunch, so I'm always looking for new stuff to bring that's easy to eat during a round and better for me than a candy bar. Right now I bring a bag of mixed nuts, a protein/cliff bar or two, and usually a bag of beef jerky or something like that.

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?

Yaphet posted:

DoctaFun why can't you be left-handed :doom:

We don't need any more lefties! Got to keep the numbers low so we don't deplete our stash of amazing deals.

On Boxing Day (Dec.26) I grabbed G20 Driver $100, RBZ 3 Wood $50, and Ghost Corza Putter $50 from Golftown. They were all demo clubs hit probably 30 times or less

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just to recommend another retail website, I recently bought some stuff from Hurricane Golf, and found from shopping around that their prices are some of the lowest around, even cheaper than GPP Golf. Their staff is also friendly (I called with questions) and they ship quickly.

As a side note, I'm not brand-brand new to golf but this is the first time I've decided to actually take it up as a regular hobby, and even though I suck I'm having a lot of fun \:unsmith:/

I really need to schedule some lessons though.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

DoctaFun posted:

3. Callaway Razr X Black 3 wood, stock stiff shaft. $95 shipped

Interested in this. Issue is :canada: Would you still be willing to ship it up?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

BCRock posted:

I bought a couple of clubs from DoctaFun back in 2011 that are still in my bag today, so I can vouch for his credibility. Buy without concern!

What does everyone eat/drink during a round of golf? I walk 95% of my rounds and I never stop at the turn to eat a real lunch, so I'm always looking for new stuff to bring that's easy to eat during a round and better for me than a candy bar. Right now I bring a bag of mixed nuts, a protein/cliff bar or two, and usually a bag of beef jerky or something like that.

I never understood how people get THAT hungry during a round. I normally just bring a granola bar or something similar, and a few coconut waters.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Gibbo posted:

Interested in this. Issue is :canada: Would you still be willing to ship it up?

I would be willing, I'd have to check shipping costs though and if it's too much more you might have to help, if that's cool. I've never shipped to Canada before but I'm guessing I"ll have to fill out customs forms or something right?

I love me some Canada though, so this is a no discrimination shipping service!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah, the customs form is pretty minor for single items and private shipping. It's basically a larger shipping label. And no problem on the extra shipping if it's needed (unless it's something obscene), I'm used to it. Will PM you with shipping info for an estimate.

• Locked thread