Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Opus125 posted:

So would it be worth it to get any Windows 7 Certs if the exams are going to be retired in a year?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcitp-certification.aspx

If you're working with that OS a lot in a job setting it wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, try to go with the latest certifications out there for the latest OS. I did a few XP certifications when Vista was out because that's what the vast majority of businesses were clinging to at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm actually not. Just racking up certs right now -- A+ down, working on N+ next. I was considering a Microsoft cert next and a Windows 7 one seemed the most rational. Might just go on to complete the comptia trifecta

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've read through the first 50 pages or so of the CompTIA Security+ guide, and they very strongly emphasize that you need to have a Network+ cert before bothering with Security+. I'm skeptical, since of course the guys who administer the tests and write the books want you to pay for and take as many certification tests as possible. If I do exactly as the OP says, read the book a few times and copy the port chart from memory, will I be screwed by my lack of Network+ chops or am I probably okay?

I really just need Security+ (for helping me out in one facet of a job that I already have) and don't want to spend more time and money getting Network+ if I can avoid it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

QuarkJets posted:

I've read through the first 50 pages or so of the CompTIA Security+ guide, and they very strongly emphasize that you need to have a Network+ cert before bothering with Security+. I'm skeptical, since of course the guys who administer the tests and write the books want you to pay for and take as many certification tests as possible. If I do exactly as the OP says, read the book a few times and copy the port chart from memory, will I be screwed by my lack of Network+ chops or am I probably okay?

I really just need Security+ (for helping me out in one facet of a job that I already have) and don't want to spend more time and money getting Network+ if I can avoid it.

The material for the sec+ will teach you everything you need to know to pass the test. There is no prereg you need to learn to pass this test.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries

QuarkJets posted:

Except for some general terminology, and like, some port numbers, there is very little in N+ that you'd need for S+

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Security+ was easiest cert so far for me. What made it easy I think is so much of it has to do with common sense and simply understanding vocabulary. I suppose it would be harder if you had no prior knowledge of networks/computers in general. Again the Security+ book by Daniel Gibson really helped.

Question on the cisco IOS, in the real world do network engineers configure entire networks using the CLI? I'm guessing Cisco just wants its candidates to have knowledge of it. Although from what I'm aware of most Cisco routers do not have a GUI for configuration. I would think Cisco would have better user interfaces but I'm guessing their 90 percent market share means they have no reason to expend the effort. Nothing wrong with a CLI only but does seem odd that's all that is offered.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I used to work at an ISP and the network engineers all worked exclusively in the CLI on Cisco switches/routers. They did sometimes use the GUI on the ASA firewalls.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Most of time you'll want to be in a CLI as it's just so much faster to configure said switch/router.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Docjowles posted:

I used to work at an ISP and the network engineers all worked exclusively in the CLI on Cisco switches/routers. They did sometimes use the GUI on the ASA firewalls.
I'm a network engineer working with fairly large infrastructure and I configure all of my switches and routers through the CLI. ASDM is a lot easier to use than the CLI commands on the ASA, though. You can still configure them through CLI, and I have, but for list modifications I just use ASDM.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 7, 2013

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

DropsySufferer posted:

Why are morons like this even given a chance for an in person interview? I'm assuming they had to have a BS resume and cheated to get the certs. It annoys me to read this because all I get are rejection letters and it would nice to get an interview for a change.

I hang out a lot on the Cisco forums, answering questions here and there, but mostly just absorbing knowledge. (It's a great idea that I suggest to all those studying for CCNA or thereabouts: Sign up for the study group, elect to get an email when topics are created/replied, set rules in outlook.) The amount of people that lead on discussions on how to get the latest or greatest brain dump are amazing. I seriously think that if they go in with how to answer the question, as opposed to answering the question, and get a CCIE, the believe that people will cower to them when they walk into that interview room, and they can spend their career's in a cushy office job looking up how to implement a Cisco-driven MPLS via Google.

Anyhow, for content: Lab all set up, got bored and implemented EIGRP on all but the Adtran router, for obvious reasons. Starting CCNP studies, picked up a CCNP reference guide from Cisco Press, wish me luck. Which one should I start with, Route or Switch? (My weakness is Switch)

Edit: Came back to mention this deal, which seems to be a load of downloadable PDF documents for $1 each:
http://www.learnsmartsystems.com/products/exam-manuals/view-exam-manuals.aspx

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 7, 2013

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
ICND1 down, those simlets sure were a thing. I'd get the ICND2 done faster if the only testing center within 2 hours had other appointment times besides dawn 3 days a week.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Edmantium posted:

ICND1 down, those simlets sure were a thing. I'd get the ICND2 done faster if the only testing center within 2 hours had other appointment times besides dawn 3 days a week.

Which parts did you find to be the most difficult? How long did you spend on the simlets?

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
Well, first YMMV since your exam will be different than mine.

There wasn't really any particular section that was difficult, but I will say to know your "show" commands. One simlet was looking for a particular detail that took me a while to find since I couldn't remember that particular command, and most of the simlet questions revolved around "show".

Other than that, it's not really hard if you've gone through the topics and messed with IOS in any form.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Edmantium posted:

Well, first YMMV since your exam will be different than mine.

There wasn't really any particular section that was difficult, but I will say to know your "show" commands. One simlet was looking for a particular detail that took me a while to find since I couldn't remember that particular command, and most of the simlet questions revolved around "show".

Other than that, it's not really hard if you've gone through the topics and messed with IOS in any form.

I work with switches on a daily basis, only having to worry about the knowledge-based parts is a bit easier on my mind. Thanks!

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Anyone else sign up for the Cloud+ beta? (it's closed now)
I'm sure knowledge of the existence of cloud-based technologies will help my company proactively leverage all the synergies.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
Just booked my 70-410 exam for the end of January, so far the studying doesn't seem too tough so far
I'm quite comfortable with Server 2003/2008, although I'm quite new to scripting and have little PowerShell experience so that's what I'm spending the most time on.

I ordered the Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches book that seems recommend all over the place.

Are there any other good resources for learning Powershell V3 besides the material I've got and hands on practice?
Has anyone else done 70-410 yet and how did they find it?

I used the voucher to pay for all 3 MCSA Server 2012 exams at a discount to get a jump start on Server 2012, before realising that for 411 and 412 seeing as the books aren't even in print yet :eng99:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ApocalypseMeow posted:

Just booked my 70-410 exam for the end of January, so far the studying doesn't seem too tough so far
I'm quite comfortable with Server 2003/2008, although I'm quite new to scripting and have little PowerShell experience so that's what I'm spending the most time on.

I ordered the Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches book that seems recommend all over the place.

Are there any other good resources for learning Powershell V3 besides the material I've got and hands on practice?

I used the voucher to pay for all 3 MCSA Server 2012 exams at a discount to get a jump start on Server 2012, before realising that for 411 and 412 seeing as the books aren't even in print yet :eng99:

The book you bought was the best book I ever got for scripting, period. Every other book or guide I ever read for vbscript or powershell was garbage in comparison.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

ApocalypseMeow posted:

I did the 40-417 last week, which is basically 3 mini-exams of 410, 411 and 412. It was reasonably straightforward; my best tip is make sure you know how to do all the routine server role/feature installation on a core installation. I'd recommend looking at the jumpstart guides from Microsoft itself as there's some excellent stuff on there. The 2-day 70-417 jumpstart course in particular is really good and will give you a great overview of what's required for all three exams. It was a live event, but it's now streamable on demand after registering.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.

madmaan posted:

The book you bought was the best book I ever got for scripting, period. Every other book or guide I ever read for vbscript or powershell was garbage in comparison.

That's a pretty drat good recommendation, I'm hoping it's arrived at home so I can dig through it before dinner now!

"[oMa posted:

Whackster" post="411306767"]
I did the 40-417 last week, which is basically 3 mini-exams of 410, 411 and 412. It was reasonably straightforward; my best tip is make sure you know how to do all the routine server role/feature installation on a core installation. I'd recommend looking at the jumpstart guides from Microsoft itself as there's some excellent stuff on there. The 2-day 70-417 jumpstart course in particular is really good and will give you a great overview of what's required for all three exams. It was a live event, but it's now streamable on demand after registering.

Thanks, will make sure I concentrate more on server core until I'm more comfortable with it and I've found the jumpstart course so that'll be on tonight's menu too.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Is there a general consensus on the quality of CBT Nuggets video training?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think CBT Nuggets varies depending on who actually presents the material. That said, tech videos tend to be very boring anyway.

Also, can anyone recommend me books to learn Apache/MySQL optimizing? I'm working with a magento webhost now and while I have setup LAMP before I would like to know more tips and tricks if you will.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

I found the ones for the MCITP exams a lot more engaging than the corresponding Microsoft Press books (though that isn't saying a whole lot). I don't think I would completely forgo the books in favor of CBT, but thought it was a fantastic supplement. Those are the only CBT Nuggets I've used personally, though.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

That is kind of how I would approach it as well. I have a hard time learning straight from a book so mixing it up between reading and videos seems to help me the most.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

I think the consensus is basically "you can find them everywhere" so people use them. That said, if I ever meet James Conrad I'm going to try to punch him before he relates a disarming story about how wacky his daily life is.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

I use to think they were okay, but unless you are getting them free from work I can't really recommend them anymore.

They need more quality control over their content anyway. The "flavor" that the side stories add to the videos is not my cup of tea anymore. They would have to be a lot cheaper and a lost more focused to change my opinion.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

madmaan posted:

I use to think they were okay, but unless you are getting them free from work I can't really recommend them anymore.

They need more quality control over their content anyway. The "flavor" that the side stories add to the videos is not my cup of tea anymore. They would have to be a lot cheaper and a lost more focused to change my opinion.
This post reminds me of the first time my wife and I went to the Grand Canyon. We purchased a novelty sombrero from the gift shop and fed soft serve to pigeons for hours before hopping into our rent a car to go back to the hotel. And wouldn't you know it! The car wouldn't start! That's kinda like today's topic, non repudiation in Exchange 2010.

:psyboom:

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

ApocalypseMeow posted:

If you want to get into some of the more development oriented aspects of PowerShell (proper design, writing help for your cmdlets, error handling/debugging techniques, custom formatting, building your own modules, etc), I'd recommend Learn PowerShell Toolmaking in a Month of Lunches by the same authors. I did a manuscript review of it this summer and it has a lot of useful info on writing scripts so they behave just like the built-in cmdlets do, modules you can share with your colleagues, and so on.

Other than that, the Hey, Scripting Guy! always has good content, but it's generally more along the lines of tips and tricks or focusing on a certain task/topic (like there was a series a couple months ago on working with Hyper-V VMs) than it is actually teaching the language.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

I've used them on a few XP certifications and found them helpful. I'd watch the video and then to reinforce what they presented (if it was something I hadn't done before) I'd repeat whatever they showed in the OS itself.

I don't remember any humor disseminated in them (maybe it was so bad I didn't realize they were trying to joke).

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
nthing the "Month of Lunches" series for Powershell. Also this youtube vid of a 4 hour powershell session with the author(?), Don Jones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ya1dQ1Igkc

Its starts you from scratch, but it was exactly what I needed to get my head around some of the foundation principles. He's a pretty good presenter too. Unlike James Conrad who makes me want to commit genocide.

Regarding MSCA\E for Server 2012, is there any good study materials out yet?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
How ballsy would it be to schedule 640-802 one day and SWITCH, ROUTE, and TSHOOT the next? I'm confident I can sit the CCNA and destroy it but I need some motivation to push through what I'm weak on for the CCNP.

edit
Goddammit I literally put down my SWITCH book to post that, I'm so bad at studying

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Pudgygiant posted:

How ballsy would it be to schedule 640-802 one day and SWITCH, ROUTE, and TSHOOT the next? I'm confident I can sit the CCNA and destroy it but I need some motivation to push through what I'm weak on for the CCNP.

edit
Goddammit I literally put down my SWITCH book to post that, I'm so bad at studying

Depends on your mindset and skill level. If you really think you can do it, go for it. Chances are real you will not make it, though. But hey, in that case, you've had a practice run of the exam and know where your weak points are. You might even get one or two exams out of the way. Ask yourself: will you miss the money for the exams? Do you know ROUTE so well, you'd only need to study for SWITCH? Can you concentrate long enough to do three exams in a row? If you fail the first, will you be too distracted to sit the next one?
It is a really ballsy move, but -if it gets you off your rear end and if you won't miss the exam money- it might be fun. By the way, TSHOOT is actually fun to sit! I enjoyed it a lot.

netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

I think it really depends on who is presenting the material. I've watched CBT's that made me fall asleep because the presenters voice was so boring and unengaging, and others that have had me laughing my rear end off.

The Cisco ones by Jeremy Cioara are very good.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm doing a few courses at my local college based around entry level IT certs. Starting with the MCTS 70-640 was a little overwhelming at first, but now that I'm almost done with the text book and the lab book, I consider myself having a basic foundation of Active Directory knowledge. I do have 2 problems though:

1. The lab/text book isn't very good. It's the Wiley MCTS 70-640. I've just finished the really bare bones DNS chapter in the lab book and the final lab was about the AD RMS, so immediately I thought to myself "finally, I get to see what this service does" since the text book only has a paragraph of information on it. Turns out the lab has you install AD RMS and...that's it. I still have no idea how to work with this service. I'm pretty much going to have to rely on my instructor to explain it to me.

While at home I'm also using the CPT Nuggets videos on 70-640 which have much better information than the Wiley book. I'm also using this book for additional information:
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Serve...rds=MCTS+70-640

2. I've taken a few practice tests and I'm kind of blown away at the amount of questions about CA and DNS. I thought 70-642 was suppose to cover DNS in depth, instead it looks like I get 20% DNS questions and 20% CA questions, both topics I know very little about.

I've been getting an almost consistent ~550 score on the practice exams so I'm definitely not ready for the certification. I know I just need to study more and really double down on the labs in the chapter, I just felt I needed to vent some of this.

I'm also curious about the real world application of this book. Sorry if this question is a little out of place in the cert thread, but I just felt asking here would be better:

A week ago I just finished the final chapter of Group Policy. The book has a whole 4 chapters about all these intricate little things you can do with these policies, and I just have to ask how relevant all of this is to a real world domain? How often do you use group policies, and is having vast knowledge on the subject a huge positive on your resume for most entry level IT jobs?

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

I'm thinking about getting some certs to hopefully get more interviews and actually get a job. I haven't got any certifications before. Thing is though, I have a CS related bachelors degree. Should I bother with A+ and Network+, or just go strait for CCNA in this case? Will probably take a CCNA training coarse at my community college if I go for it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Manta posted:

I'm thinking about getting some certs to hopefully get more interviews and actually get a job. I haven't got any certifications before. Thing is though, I have a CS related bachelors degree. Should I bother with A+ and Network+, or just go strait for CCNA in this case? Will probably take a CCNA training coarse at my community college if I go for it.

Get the A+ just to get past HR, but skip Network+ and go straight for the CCNA.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

I use them for networking, along with reading the official study guides. What I do is I pick a particular topic, watch the video on it, and then read it in the study book. It makes things stick and the giant textbooks become much easier to digest. Jeremy gets annoying fairly quick but at least it isn't dry.

Also be sure to throw some hands on stuff in there, I think that applies to all certs.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Going to get my A+ tomorrow... wish me a dictionary.

Edit: Departing now... I feel significanly book bloated

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 10, 2013

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever
Does anybody have any of the CISSP concentrations? I was looking to go for ISSEP since everything I do revolves around C&A, but most of the study material I see is pretty old (the official ISC2 guide is from 2005). Now I'm thinking ISSAP might work just as well and there seems to be a better selection of books to use.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Trip Report: Passed the new A+ Certification exams (801 + 802)

They now include simulations that ask you to do a variety of tasks/matching operations based upon which exam it is. Not too bad, but a little bit of a surprise there if you don't know they're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm getting ready to take that myself any tips on fiddly things that I need to memorize port numbers etc?