Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
What's his beef with the game? I bet it's performance issues and the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³
Does King Foltest remind anyone of Douglas Reynholm from the IT Crowd? I'm working through the prologue and I can't help but think of him whenever Foltest is talking.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

FrickenMoron posted:

To answer that spoiler question:

Given enough powerful ingredients for spells etc mages especially can regenerate whole bodyparts and burned off skin etc over time. It may take a while but if they are not outright killed they can pretty much heal themselves up over time. It is implied that Yennefer used to be a rather hideous/deformed girl before she started her sorcery training, so that's quite a change over the years.

And yes, they totally forgot about the apparently huge scar on her chest.

Actually, I seem to recall that Triss said it had healed completely, but that the psychological trauma of getting horribly burned and scarred is still there and that's why she "will never wear something with a low neckline".

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

The Sharmat posted:

I think it helps on both these counts that Geralt isn't a generic PC, but an established character. There's more than one version of him based on your choices, of course, but somehow it always feels in character, even in light of the books. A far cry from Mass Effect's Shepard, for example.

Not that I mean to imply that a completely customizable PC is a bad thing. I still like games like that. Just that it's different, and it works well here.

It works so well in the Witcher games because major plot twists are largely out of Geralt's immediate reach, and they're written well enough that there's a logical reason Geralt has no influence. The decisions the player makes through Geralt are never the straight up good/bad dichotomy that games like Mass Effect use. More often, you're forced to choose between the lesser of two evils, and it won't be until the end of the game that you realize the choice you perceived as the lesser evil had much worse consequences in the long run.

The choices are more realistic because there's no possible way one man could ever expect to please everyone around him. Many of the seedier characters in the Witcher simply can't be reasoned with. Geralt is not going to convince them not to be greedy or lustful. The thinking the player is forced to employ is less "How can I be the hero?" and more "How can I minimized the rape and death around me?" The end of The Witcher 2 even takes this feeling into account by allowing the player to literally opt out of the last boss fight because they find all the fighting pointless. I was so depressed by Radovan's massacre that I was honestly relieved when the game gave me the exact option I was hoping for. Just kicking back with Letho, drinking some ale, and watching the madness of the world around them felt so right after even my most hopeful choices ended in bloodshed.

For those of you talking about the books, am I missing some way to read them? I got the The Last Wish and Blood of Elves for my Kindle, but as far as I knew, there were no other ones out in English at this time. Time of Contempt is still listed as a preorder on Amazon.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
There's a thread on the official forums for the fan translated novels and short stories: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20967-our-community-fan-translations/
Here's the dropbox link for the novels: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i104pfzcdif2p23/kSb3WwWX3q/The%20Witcher%20fan%20translations%20mobi%20and%20epub%20versions

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Asehujiko posted:

Didn't sorceresses have some kind of glamour ability that alters their appearance in this universe? That and simply having enough spare time/reagents to do some magic plastic surgery.
True on both counts, but they don't use illusions for it generally when they can do the latter. I guess it's just easier and more permanent. Pretty much no sorcerer or sorceress has their original appearance. They improve their bodies int an idealized version of themselves and freeze their age wherever they want. In the books, due to cultural reasons, sorcerers typically froze themselves in their mid to late thirties, just barely middle aged, so as to enhance their authority while still being physically fit. Sorceresses tended to freeze in their early or mid twenties, for the sake of being at their physical and aesthetic peak. Very few of either gender are as old as they appear. Triss is very young for a sorceress and is probably the closest in appearance to her actual age of any of the ones that show up in the games. I get the idea that by Witcher 2 she's probably in her late thirties, but I'm not completely clear on the timeline of the series so I could be wrong. I think that it's something like twelve years from the very start of the books.

Witchers also tend to be quite a bit older than they look, as a result of their mutated metabolism slowing their aging. I think it's said somewhere that Vesemir, the old witcher at Kaer Morhen in the first game, is something like ninety.

FrickenMoron posted:

Theres a flashback scene in the 6th book (second to last one) which elaborates a bit more on her past, also you learn her actual age in that book.
Interesting. Do you mind spoiling it? I guessed she was probably in her fifties or sixties but that's just a vague feeling. Was she actually kind of deformed originally, or just ugly?

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Actually, I seem to recall that Triss said it had healed completely, but that the psychological trauma of getting horribly burned and scarred is still there and that's why she "will never wear something with a low neckline".
Ah, maybe I misinterpreted the line then. Or it didn't translate properly. Either way she seems to have gotten over it. Seemed odd to me that they could restore her scalp enough that she could regrow her hair, but not regrow the other skin that was burned off.

l33t b4c0n posted:

It works so well in the Witcher games because major plot twists are largely out of Geralt's immediate reach, and they're written well enough that there's a logical reason Geralt has no influence. The decisions the player makes through Geralt are never the straight up good/bad dichotomy that games like Mass Effect use. More often, you're forced to choose between the lesser of two evils, and it won't be until the end of the game that you realize the choice you perceived as the lesser evil had much worse consequences in the long run.
It's still not the "Everything is hosed up all the time" thing it's often portrayed as though. It's much better handled than that. The consequences of your actions are just often unpredictable, as they should be, because Geralt isn't omniscient; but they make sense in hindsight. Neither is t the case of both decisions available being awful so much as ambiguous. Like in the real world, there's no alignment system or magic "I win" dialogue button to tell you what to do. Only you can decide if the decisions were moral or not, and if playing pragmatically and amoral, you have no guarantee that you didn't miss something or make a mistake that will bite you in the rear end later. I love the suspense that results from this.

l33t b4c0n posted:

The choices are more realistic because there's no possible way one man could ever expect to please everyone around him. Many of the seedier characters in the Witcher simply can't be reasoned with. Geralt is not going to convince them not to be greedy or lustful.
Which I also liked. The persuasive abilities of PCs in story driven RPGs often border on mind control. What can change the nature of a man? A charisma score of 25. Besides, most people have no reason to listen to a random adventurer in the first place. Henselt or Radovid can always just say "gently caress you, I'm a King.".

l33t b4c0n posted:

The end of The Witcher 2 even takes this feeling into account by allowing the player to literally opt out of the last boss fight because they find all the fighting pointless. I was so depressed by Radovan's massacre that I was honestly relieved when the game gave me the exact option I was hoping for. Just kicking back with Letho, drinking some ale, and watching the madness of the world around them felt so right after even my most hopeful choices ended in bloodshed.

Witcher 2 ending spoilers: I couldnt do it because it felt out of character. Geralt was fairly neutral in my Witcher 1 playthrough, and frankly by the end as you say, there didn't seem to be a point in killing him. But the main thing was, it would make Geralt a giant hypocrite. Everything that Letho did seemed like something Geralt could easily, and sort of did do, in other circumstances. Just replace Foltest and Temeria with the Emhir var Emreis and Temeria with Nilfgaard.

l33t b4c0n posted:

For those of you talking about the books, am I missing some way to read them? I got the The Last Wish and Blood of Elves for my Kindle, but as far as I knew, there were no other ones out in English at this time. Time of Contempt is still listed as a preorder on Amazon.
Nope. The publisher is being stupid. They skipped the second book (and so did you as a result), which introduced a lot of important characters in Blood of Elves, because "Short stories don't sell, the first book only sold well because of the game's release". Time of Contempt, the next book, has been in translation and delayed continually for years. Some kind of legal battle. Seems to be in publishing limbo. Amazon throws out random release estimates all the time, they're meaningless. Right now the publisher doesn't even have a concrete release date.

Most of the series has been translated by fans. The translation of the second book, Sword of Destiny, is competent but lacks the flair of the first official translation. That gave me a bit of hope when I realized that I might not see the fourth book for years. But then I actually tried to read the fan translation of Time of Contempt and it was much lower quality. Couldn't bring myself to read it. Tense changes mid sentence, weird word choice...felt like it was translated by a bot. Not that I'm judging. I'm effectively mono-lingual and I hear translating out of Polish is extra hard, but I just couldn't read it.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 1, 2013

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011
So, if anyone has the same problem as me, I figured out a solution. The default 360 gamepad option was useless and the Xpadder/Pinnacle options were as well (for me, at least).

The fix? Select 'Keyboard' controls, not 'Gamepad' and modify Xpadder further to compensate. Bam. The near-permanent on-screen cursor works like a mouse and the controls work well otherwise.

Will I still use the controller by the time I get to these games? Maybe, maybe not. Having the option is always nice.

-----

The Sharmat, this is my second time thanking you. For obvious reasons, I went from having a passing interest in the books to something much more. The information you provided about the publisher is informative, quite sad and brings to light something that is unfortunately common in the industry. Still, I'm hopeful that proper translations come eventually. My slow rear end may finally be caught up at that time.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I find the whole "lesser of two evils" thing funny, because in the book, Geralt says this when someone brings that up to him:

quote:

“Evil is evil, Stregobor,” said the witcher seriously as he got up. “Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I’m not a pious hermit. I haven't done only good in my life. But if I’m to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all."

Sapkowski, Andrzej (2008-12-02). The Last Wish (Kindle Locations 1615-1617). Orbit. Kindle Edition.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PureRok posted:

I find the whole "lesser of two evils" thing funny, because in the book, Geralt says this when someone brings that up to him:
:thejoke:

Well, that and the fact that he is forced to choose, over and over.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Sharmat posted:

Interesting. Do you mind spoiling it? I guessed she was probably in her fifties or sixties but that's just a vague feeling. Was she actually kind of deformed originally, or just ugly?

Sure thing.
She claims she is 94 years old, can't verify that of course. From the way the other flashback scene is described she was definitely born deformed because the father literally left the mother because of it.

And Geralt sort of changes over time in the books, he certainly isn't the same witcher as in "The last wish" anymore near the end. Of course the games sort of "reset" his status with the amnesia etc.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Pure Rok: I think that's one of the positions he's forced to abandon in later books.

FrickenMoron posted:

Sure thing.
She claims she is 94 years old, can't verify that of course. From the way the other flashback scene is described she was definitely born deformed because the father literally left the mother because of it.
Wow. That's a lot older than I thought. Guess crazy ambition and pride are just kinda in her nature, despite being stereotyped as 'young' attributes.

It kind of makes sense that Geralt resets after his amnesia, so I'm ok with that. I feel like he's grown a lot by the end of Witcher 2 anyway, which is a hard thing to pull off with a PC in a video game. Although that might be because (Witcher 2 ending spoilers) His returning memories. Though I'm not clear on something. Did all of his memories return over the course of the game, or mostly just the ones relating to Yennefer and the Wild Hunt?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FrickenMoron posted:

Theres a flashback scene in the 6th book (second to last one) which elaborates a bit more on her past, also you learn her actual age in that book. Im buying the last one next month, I'm kind of sad that the book series is ending. But at least the story continues in the games, even if Sapkowski actually really dropped a lot of hate about the games.

If I'm thinking of the same quote I didn't read it as him trashing the games. He just said that he didn't consider them a canon continuation of Geralt's story but a competent bit of storytelling nonetheless. Then he went on to sound like a bit of an assface by saying something like "Of course no one can match the amazing ANDRZEJ!" and then threw a smoke bomb down and disappeared with a swirl of his cape.

Not that there's really any reason to care what he thinks one way or the other. But if you have any more quotes on the subject and wouldn't mind linking them I'd be interested.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Chickenwalker posted:

If I'm thinking of the same quote I didn't read it as him trashing the games. He just said that he didn't consider them a canon continuation of Geralt's story but a competent bit of storytelling nonetheless.
That seems perfectly reasonable. It's licensed AU then I guess.

Wouldn't surprise me about the latter though. Writers tend to be kind of insane.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Witcher 2 ending spoilers: I couldnt do it because it felt out of character. Geralt was fairly neutral in my Witcher 1 playthrough, and frankly by the end as you say, there didn't seem to be a point in killing him. But the main thing was, it would make Geralt a giant hypocrite. Everything that Letho did seemed like something Geralt could easily, and sort of did do, in other circumstances. Just replace Foltest and Temeria with the Emhir var Emreis and Temeria with Nilfgaard.

Beyond anything that happened in the game, Letho and co. also babysat Yennefer while Geralt was having fun with The Hunt, with her magic outbursts being part of the reason Nilfgaard took an initial lukewarm-noticing to them. Considering she's actually still alive somewhere with Emhyr because of him, you seriously owe the dude big time, or at the very least, can consider things even regarding the whole Triss thing

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Beyond anything that happened in the game, Letho and co. also babysat Yennefer while Geralt was having fun with The Hunt, with her magic outbursts being part of the reason Nilfgaard took an initial lukewarm-noticing to them. Considering she's actually still alive somewhere with Emhyr because of him, you seriously owe the dude big time, or at the very least, can consider things even regarding the whole Triss thing
Hell, that has me thinking. If you tally up all that Letho did for Geralt...they're not even close to even. Geralt owes Letho a lot even after factoring out causing that whole kingslayer mess.

Geralt: Saves Letho, Auckes, Serrit, and the other guys lives. +1. Gets hosed by Letho's killing Foltest. +1
Letho/Kingslayers: Chases down the Wild Hunt +1. Protects Yennifer +1. Letho spares Geralt even though it's dangerous to his plans +1. Spares Triss after kidnapping even though it's dangerous to his plans +1. Potentially saves Triss in the end game if Geralt doesn't +1/0.

Knockoff a point for not killing Triss because Letho endangered her in the first place, and save Triss yourself in Act 3, and Letho is still one up on Geralt in terms of karma.

Now I kinda feel like a dick, honestly.

Question: Where and exactly how big is Nilfgaard? I know they're south of the Yaruga river, but the provinces immediately bordering it are new acquisitions, right? I also seem to recall that in one of Geralt's flashbacks that he describes things getting very cold even though he's moving south. Does Nilfgaard stretch all the way down through this world's southern hemisphere?

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 3, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This game crashes constantly for me when I try to save it, or when it autosaves. I have deleted a lot of the saves out of my folder, is there something else I should be doing to help this? Googling makes it look like a really common error.

I'm running Windows 8 through Bootcamp, so that could be the issue. I have my video card drivers up-to-date, not sure what else I could be missing.

Anyway the game seems really fun and I'd love to play it, but right now it's impossible.

Edit: GOG.com has a free backup download of the game available, so I'm trying that. So far seems to be fine.

Edit2: Nevermind, just crashed on me as I tried to save. I give up!

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 7, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Have you considered trying it under Windows 7 instead? I have no idea how bootcamp works, so forgive me if that's an obviously impossible solution.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
FWIW, Bootcamp can totally work with Win7; the biggest questions are if the user has Win7 and if they're a Win8-loving commie pinko.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That operating system is for monsters.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

triplexpac posted:

This game crashes constantly for me when I try to save it, or when it autosaves. I have deleted a lot of the saves out of my folder, is there something else I should be doing to help this? Googling makes it look like a really common error.

I'm running Windows 8 through Bootcamp, so that could be the issue. I have my video card drivers up-to-date, not sure what else I could be missing.

Anyway the game seems really fun and I'd love to play it, but right now it's impossible.

Edit: GOG.com has a free backup download of the game available, so I'm trying that. So far seems to be fine.

Edit2: Nevermind, just crashed on me as I tried to save. I give up!

I've heard that games have problems running on Win 8 if you have a controller plugged in before launching the game, or something?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Unfortunately I don't have Windows 7, and don't really feel like buying it for this game.

I can try running the game in Windows 7 mode though, I'll give that a shot!

Edit: Well I was hopeful, it seemed to be running smoothly, but after about 10 minutes it crashed when I tried to meditate. I think it's just too unstable on Windows 8 Bootcamp, I'll give the Mac version a shot maybe.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 7, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

The Sharmat posted:

Hell, that has me thinking. If you tally up all that Letho did for Geralt...they're not even close to even. Geralt owes Letho a lot even after factoring out causing that whole kingslayer mess.

Geralt: Saves Letho, Auckes, Serrit, and the other guys lives. +1. Gets hosed by Letho's killing Foltest. +1
Letho/Kingslayers: Chases down the Wild Hunt +1. Protects Yennifer +1. Letho spares Geralt even though it's dangerous to his plans +1. Spares Triss after kidnapping even though it's dangerous to his plans +1. Potentially saves Triss in the end game if Geralt doesn't +1/0.

Knockoff a point for not killing Triss because Letho endangered her in the first place, and save Triss yourself in Act 3, and Letho is still one up on Geralt in terms of karma.

Now I kinda feel like a dick, honestly.

I've only played Roche's path so far but I totally killed Letho when I got the chance. Sure he has some history with you but framing you for killing a king is kind of a big deal and definitely would've caused more trouble for Geralt if only Roche hadn't believed you. I was sorta pro-Temeria but even then I think Geralt is apolitical enough not to take an assassination contract against the Nilfgaardian Emperor, for instance, and Letho's regicidal rampage comes across as him being a sinister puppet of the Empire. Maybe Geralt and Letho are only enemies because of circumstance and how they crossed each other's paths against all likelihood, but that still makes them enemies.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Boing posted:

I've only played Roche's path so far but I totally killed Letho when I got the chance. Sure he has some history with you but framing you for killing a king is kind of a big deal

He didn't intend to frame Geralt. His reaction when he realized Geralt was there immediately prior to the assassination could best be summarized as "Oh gently caress."

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
It's been a while since I played, but

I remember thinking that Letho ended up looking up to Geralt when they were travelling together. Now, Geralt doesn't remember any of that, but Letho obviously has some fondness for him. He also saves the women he cares about, as was said, so there's that as well.

I'm not sure how they'll reconcile Triss and Yennefer in a future game. Since you can play TW2 especially as the two of them having grown very close, which really isn't their relationship in the books at all. And while Yennefer is good friends with Triss, she also doesn't take competition very well (and she always gets what she wants. Of course, there is the implication that Yennefer and Geralt's relationship is magically induced to begin with, which they could run with. Would be afraid of it getting into bioware-girlfriend territory though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I never really got the impression he "looked up to" Geralt. They seemed like peers to me. But that might just be a mistaken impression on my part because in most of their interactions in game Letho has the upper hand, due to being more clued in on the situation.

Yeah it's gonna be a tough sell to people that haven't read anything from the books to care about Yennefer, given her personality, baggage, and possibly the fact that Triss has already been around. I seriously think they can pull it off though. For me at least, they managed with other pre-existing characters from the books in previous games. I don't think we have to worry about Bioware territory either. Knowing these guys, I'd give equal odds Yennefer just ends up trying to incinerate you at some point. And yeah, Yennefer loving hates competition, even if it's for something she's not actively seeking at the time. I've only read through Blood of Elves and she already seems to be losing some fondness for Triss. Suppose it may make Triss more likeable in TW2. I mean regardless of how amnesiac Geralt feels, Triss is well aware that she's traditionally been Geralt's silver trophy, so to speak.

Of course (Witcher 2 end game spoilers) Yennefer is herself suffering from amnesia, presumably, and we have no idea if anything has come back to her at all.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The Sharmat posted:

That's rather depressing. Is each book worst than the last? I got some serious :smith: and occasional :unsmith: from the first two. Things like Renfri's story in Last Wish. If it goes downhill from here is it still worth reading, considering it looks like I can only continue via fan translation? Although the latter part may not be that big a burden since Blood of Elves seems to have been about the same quality as the better fan translations of Sword of Destiny.

EDIT: Gave up and checked out the fan translation of Times of Contempt and...ugh. This is absolutely awful. It reads like it was run through an online translator and then left alone. I can't do this.

The big problem with 'Times of Contempt' isn't the translation as much as it is the plot. It is impossible to give a gently caress about the various political poo poo because we're never given a reason to care. And realistically, Geralt works for whoever pays him, so as long as they don't arrest him he really has no stake in politics. Yennefer not telling Geralt what was going on at the wizard's convention didn't help, either. But the biggest problem, for me, is Ciri. If I wanted to read about Ciri, I would buy a book about Ciri. In a book that's supposed to be about Geralt, at least half is devoted to Ciri.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khazar-khum posted:

The big problem with 'Times of Contempt' isn't the translation as much as it is the plot. It is impossible to give a gently caress about the various political poo poo because we're never given a reason to care. And realistically, Geralt works for whoever pays him, so as long as they don't arrest him he really has no stake in politics. Yennefer not telling Geralt what was going on at the wizard's convention didn't help, either. But the biggest problem, for me, is Ciri. If I wanted to read about Ciri, I would buy a book about Ciri. In a book that's supposed to be about Geralt, at least half is devoted to Ciri.

Oh boy, you are going to hate the rest of the series (if they eve get around to translating it). Anyway, what you described is pretty much what I liked the most. I think that Sapkowski drew upon traditional Central European historical novels (particularly Polish classics such as Sienkiewicz and Mickiewicz), and it shows. His prose is more multi-layered than typical fantasy, he delves into politics, and isn't afraid to shift viewpoints, because from his point of view, a rich and complete reconstruction of the historical narrative in which the story is set is moore important then following a character and his particular take on what is going on.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I actually liked the politics in Witcher 2 so maybe that won't bother me. My only issue is Act 3 Spoilers: I was hoping Radovid would be a bit more of a bro since I did actually introduce him to his wife and all. But then, Radovid is a cold son of a bitch so maybe it's more in character this way anyway.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Radovid has always had the "amiable exterior, slimy and corrupt interior" thing going on. I mean, when you first meet him in Witcher 1, it's in the process of finding out that he used to hire Salamandra to do unspecified dirty work, all the while talking to you as if you're his new friend.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I liked that about him for some reason. Maybe because he's not outright cruel and egotistical like Henselt or lazy and corrupt like Demavend. At least he's competent evil. Iorveth's Path spoilers Philippa was asking for it anyway.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

I liked that about him for some reason. Maybe because he's not outright cruel and egotistical like Henselt or lazy and corrupt like Demavend. At least he's competent evil. Iorveth's Path spoilers Philippa was asking for it anyway.

Radovid has a history with Philippa so in additon to the in game stuff thats kinda understandable if a little extreme. Its been a long time since I did it so I may be misremembering but (Act 3 Iorveth spoilers) If you let yourself get captured and thrown in his dungeons I think he says something along the lines of having nothing personal against you but given Geralt's history and tendancy to leave a huge mess in his wake he would be an idiot to let you go until the summit is over so he still seems to like Geralt at least a little bit Still we all know that the Foltest is best Royal Bro.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Sharmat posted:

At least he's competent evil. Iorveth's Path spoilers Philippa was asking for it anyway.
?

He didn't do it because he knew... well, pretty much anything at all... about the conspiracy. He did it because he had a whole wide host of psychological issues.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Xander77 posted:

?

He didn't do it because he knew... well, pretty much anything at all... about the conspiracy. He did it because he had a whole wide host of psychological issues.

It was revenge against Phillipa for when she usurped his power when he was a youth, sure Radovid may be harsh but at least he seems competent compared to the other northern Kings.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Xander77 posted:

?

You can pretty much assume that at any given time, Philippa is involved in at least two conspiracies. I'd imagine Radovid knows more of what's going on than he lets on anyway.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The first Cyberpunk trailer:

http://kotaku.com/5974963/heres-your-first-look-at-cyberpunk-2077-the-next-game-from-the-makers-of-the-witcher

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I figured we'd have to wait until after Cyberpunk for Witcher 3, but according to some text that flashes by in that teaser Cyberpunk is expected in 2015 but W3 is much further along:

"And that's not all that's new we are about the[sic] reveal our other project which is much closer to being completed and yes it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story you can probably guess the game we're talking about on the 5th of February it will all be clear"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Weren't they actually working on one more non-Witcher game?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Megazver posted:

Weren't they actually working on one more non-Witcher game?

I don't think so. The sci-fi RPG they were working on is obviously Cyberpunk. And I don't think they'd say "You can probably guess the game we're talking about" if they were referring to some unnanounced game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

I don't think so. The sci-fi RPG they were working on is obviously Cyberpunk. And I don't think they'd say "You can probably guess the game we're talking about" if they were referring to some unnanounced game.

Right, I think they were producing a third game by a different studio. Yeah, it's probably Witcher 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
On their website, they are listing "RPG in a dark fantasy World" as one of two open projects. It's probably The Witcher, but considering they have lots of openings on seemingly pretty high levels (?) for the development team, and their decision not to reveal the name, I'm not sure how far they could possibly be. On the other hand, they managed to hush the development of W2 for a pretty long time before the internal presentation was leaked.

• Locked thread