Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought the reason was that Morgan can't and Pieterson won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What the gently caress did I just watch? In the scorchers/strikers game Kane Richardson hit wicket but no one noticed until the run was completed. He was then given out after a review of the footage and a long discussion but he was still dawdling on his way to the boundary. Meanwhile Lone Bear was still talking to the umpires and decided to call him back. :psyduck:

Apparently it was because no one had appealed but that is like someone being clean bowled and then being given not out because no one went up for it. Mind boggling stuff.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Mister Chief posted:

Apparently it was because no one had appealed but that is like someone being clean bowled and then being given not out because no one went up for it.
Which has happened before in test cricket. Several times in fact.

Rules is rules.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
You have to technically appeal for any out. Its just things like bowled and obvious catches not being appealed for is by tradition rather than rules. Plus the batsman will walk for it. More batsman need to stand their ground after being bowled.

The reason why hit wicket is more like an lbw than a bowled is because there is some leeway. Not as much as there was where a lot of the hit wicket rules came down to umpire interpretation of if a batsmen was preparing to or playing a shot or not. So you could be given out if your initial shuffle clipped the stumps but not if you turned and walked away towards square leg after playing the ball (as Mark Waugh did against south Africa). Also things like a gusts of wind do blow off bails.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 10, 2013

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Burn Down Canberra posted:

More batsman need to stand their ground after being bowled.

Shut up you literal quilt.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I thought out bowled was the only dismissal where the fielding side don't have to appeal, the umpire just gives you out.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

tarbrush posted:

I thought out bowled was the only dismissal where the fielding side don't have to appeal, the umpire just gives you out.

Batsmen walk for it. If you read the rules for appealing all outs need to be appealed. There just isn't a lot of recourse when the stumps are scattered about the field.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
NZ 2nd test team announced: Franklin & Martin have been omitted, Colin Munro & Neil Wagner to play. Harsh on Martin who took 3/63 in the first test, but exciting to see what Wagner can do. Franklin had to go, but I had no idea Munro was the spare batsman, he is far more of a limited overs batsman than a longer format player. Bruce Martin expected to be 12th man but I'm hoping he starts ahead of Patel.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Batsmen walk for it. If you read the rules for appealing all outs need to be appealed. There just isn't a lot of recourse when the stumps are scattered about the field.

"The wind blew them over?"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

You have to technically appeal for any out. Its just things like bowled and obvious catches not being appealed for is by tradition rather than rules. Plus the batsman will walk for it. More batsman need to stand their ground after being bowled.

The reason why hit wicket is more like an lbw than a bowled is because there is some leeway. Not as much as there was where a lot of the hit wicket rules came down to umpire interpretation of if a batsmen was preparing to or playing a shot or not. So you could be given out if your initial shuffle clipped the stumps but not if you turned and walked away towards square leg after playing the ball (as Mark Waugh did against south Africa). Also things like a gusts of wind do blow off bails.

I bet you're a riot down the local boozer.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

serious gaylord posted:

I bet you're a riot down the local boozer.

It's Canberra, there's only lovely League's clubs where this sort of stuff would be a riot.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Ms37yt3lg

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

Smorgasbord posted:

I had no idea Munro was the spare batsman, he is far more of a limited overs batsman than a longer format player.

New Zealand would have to make it through 50 overs first for that to be an issue.

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

Thank you for giving me another reason to hate that rear end

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Doc Holliday posted:

New Zealand would have to make it through 50 overs first for that to be an issue.

They can barely make 20 as it is, let alone 50.

baked
Apr 1, 2005

i took a little nap where the roots all twist; squished a rotten peach in my fist.
So there's an ODI v Sri Lanka today. Does anyone give a gently caress?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

baked posted:

Usually I would give no fucks about an ODI between any countries, but I am a George Bailey fan so will watch a bit for that.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I'm curious to see how this Australian "B team" will go.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

iajanus posted:

"The wind blew them over?"

I once played a junior game years ago where this exact thing happened. The batsmans bail got knocked off, everybody appealed, but the umpire at that time was the coach of the other team and he was also really loving drunk, so he said the wind or the wicket keeper had knocked the bail off.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I was going to record the ODI but then I remembered that the name was literal.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
A refugee from Pakistan has been selected in the PM's XI. Presumably Today Tonight are already planning a "refugee invasion" story.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Is he eligible to play for Australia? Somewhat a pity that he is so old...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

He has residency which I think is enough to make him eligible.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

baked posted:

...is there?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
He played for the renegades the other day too

Tony Inchpractice
Aug 30, 2011
I just saw the people dressed up for the "$1000 for the best costume" contest and all I can think is with the 37 degree heat and the full body costumes the winner will probably be the one still alive at the end of the Australian innings.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Scylo posted:

A refugee from Pakistan has been selected in the PM's XI. Presumably Today Tonight are already planning a "refugee invasion" story.

Gurinder Sandhu, who was born in India, is also in the team. He's a young fast bowler. I really hope he ends up better than any of India's current crop of fast bowlers so we can troll them even more.

Speewah
May 28, 2011
The commentators trying to sell the lower order batsmen is pretty sad. On the plus, their disgust at the running is pretty good.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
If Phil 'Better than Bradman' Hughes runs out Bailey I'm going to get mad.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
And I'd have to congratulate him for making me emotional about short-form cricket.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Get ready for a scintillating 20 overs of knocking singles around here

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Phil Hughes cementing his place nicely here.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ashes as good as won.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
There's this article on cricinfo about Healy being unhappy with Wade's glovework

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-sri-lanka-2012/content/current/story/600442.html

I find it interesting because I don't think I've ever seen Healy have a strong opinion on anything.

quote:

Healy said he could not understand why the selectors had chosen Wade ahead of Brad Haddin at the start of this summer. However, he also said that he believed Queensland's Chris Hartley, 30, was the best pure gloveman in the country but that he was unlikely to earn an opportunity at international level with Wade, Haddin and Tim Paine all ahead of him in the queue.

He believes Hartley is the best gloveman and Hartley has a better one day batting average than Haddin this season. Makes me wonder why, if they're looking to the 2015 world cup, the selectors didn't choose Hartley over Haddin for this series.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Because all national selectors regardless or sport or nation are idiots.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Because all national selectors regardless or sport or nation are idiots.

But these selectors were supposed to be better than the previous lot. :(

Phil Hughes, first Australian to make a century while on debut in an ODI.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Hartley is not the best wicketkeeper. Ian Healy is wrong.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
First 50 balls from India have them record 38 dots and give up seven boundaries.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Tony A. Butt posted:

Ian Healy is wrong.

This is just as plausible as any other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ian Bell wtf