Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

So is Abe literally The Stig's Japanese Cousin or something? Sure sounds like it the way this thread fawns over him :v:

(heh, top gear jokes. topical)

We're not the only ones. Japanese fans seem to love Abe as much as we do. While looking for art for the episode I found fan art of Abe's art. And in the Far North Travelogue there's a woman who might love Abe a bit too much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Where's the Abe Special?

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

oh god Arle no

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Gutcruncher posted:

Come on, youre thinkin small! Wii U is practically made for "game on screen, magazine in hand" gameplay!
I've mentioned this a few times already, but a compilation of both games with re-done 8/16-bit graphics to look good on an HDTV (along with some extra stuff like actual achievements outside of story mode challenges) on the Wii U would be loving awesome. They could even take advantage of the Miiverse thing where you can drop hints for other players to help each other out in the games. I could even see it as a digital release since I doubt it would be that big of a game (assuming the updated graphics don't take up a lot of disc space), so it would be cheaper for XSEED and/or indies zero to release if they're worried about the game not being popular. But, given how popular the show has become outside of Japan, I'm sure they could make an okay profit.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is there a specific show that the Inoko MAX Shocking Segment is parodying? I get a real Ghost Hunter International vibe from it, when they hear some mundane static and go "Oh my god, is that a spirit speaking Chinese?!"

Im guessing its some sort of popular japanese show thats infamous for showing footage of fake accidents or something?

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Not just one kind of bread, but a whole variety.
"The screams... of a dying man!" was the hardest I've ever laughed while watching this show.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Princess Tomato has killed any desire in me to see Arino challenge point and click games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

Is there a specific show that the Inoko MAX Shocking Segment is parodying? I get a real Ghost Hunter International vibe from it, when they hear some mundane static and go "Oh my god, is that a spirit speaking Chinese?!"

Im guessing its some sort of popular japanese show thats infamous for showing footage of fake accidents or something?

According to Japanese Wikipedia the segment is not a parody of anything in particular. That doesn't mean it's not a general parody, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Princess Tomato has killed any desire in me to see Arino challenge point and click games.
Not even if that point and click adventure game was this??

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Maybe that's an exception because wasn't the Japanese version weirdly different?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I totaly feel for Arino, I suck hard at Chaining in Puyo Pop.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

RadicalR posted:

I'm tempted. But I still think that's too rich even for a Kancho!

I can't believe I'm the first to pick this out: Kancho is... something very different. Kacho. :)

Edit to add: It is also apparently a type of cookie by Lotte. I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that they have a chocolate filling.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Noticed this while watching Awesome Games Done Quick:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Awesome Games Done Quick is just begging for another single syllable word lodged in it so you can sing it like 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' D4C

Awesome Games Done Real Quick, maybe?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

zari-gani posted:

Noticed this while watching Awesome Games Done Quick:

Trying to keep track of Japanese credits could be a whole career with how inconsistently names were written. 3 different spellings on 3 different Wiki pages. The NES era was even worse with people getting completely unrelated aliases.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Kouichi_Abe
http://www.giantbomb.com/koichi-abe/72-92134/
http://www.giantbomb.com/kouichi-abe/72-58879/

I'm kind of inclined to believe they're 2 different people, not just a misspelling, because getting Japanese credits right has been a Giant Bomb project for a while. The wikia page is probably legitimately misspelled.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

craig588 posted:

I'm kind of inclined to believe they're 2 different people

I know they're two different people; I was making a joke. Thought it was relevant to the "is there anything Abe CAN'T do?" discussion today.

Koichi and Kouichi are the same name using different romanization rules, so they're both the right spelling.

ETA:

The latest next episode hint isn't much of one. "10th anniversary year... What's going to happen?"

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 11, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
The Puyo Puyo translation was great (as always), but the episode itself felt kinda lacking IMO. I dunno if I was just tired when I watched it or what, but it didn't feel like that great of an episode (it was still better than Ocarina of Time, though). At least the Inoko MAX corner segment and the Arino vs staff tournament at the end made up for it. V:shobon:V
That's kind of a disappointing Arino's Challenge graphic for Yoshi's Island. They could've at least tinted Arino's face green. :(

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

homeless snail posted:

Not even if that point and click adventure game was this??

That game would be interesting, since there's something on the table. It feels like Princess Tomato is one of those games where the challenge is completely based on your ability to figure out what they want you to do, where as Maniac Mansion will gently caress you up if you go in the wrong place at the wrong time and microwave the wrong hamster in the wrong microwave.

I'm sorry, Ed. I just had to see what would happen.

Oh god, that image is the stuff that nightmares are made of. There's something about it that is just so frightening.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Was it either of these?

Honestly I think those ads were part of the reason that Retro Game Challenge was such a flop in the US. There were so many retro arcade game compilations coming out, I just assumed that RGC was another one. It wasn't until it started being mentioned in SA that I noticed it was an entirely new game.

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt
I loved the Inoko Max bit.

Each special segment featuring an AD seems carefully picked to exaggerate the personality of the AD. Like in this one, Inoko Max comes off as seriously goofy and innocent when he tries to make Arino impressed with the game segments. I think they've pegged Inoko Max as the "man-child" of the show.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Chief posted:

You watched Clock Tower, didn't you?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh man, after watching Puyo Puyo, I wanna see Arino play Tetris Battle Gaiden. That game was fuckin' batshit.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Ridiculously late, I know but I just got a Nintendo 3DS and I remember mentions of some stationary a while back - how can I get it?

EDIT: VVV thanks both, will do!

PkerUNO fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 12, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

PkerUNO posted:

Ridiculously late, I know but I just got a Nintendo 3DS and I remember mentions of some stationary a while back - how can I get it?

Do the tutorials and unlock some stationary. Then have us send you one and you get a copy of it automatically.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

PkerUNO posted:

Just add someone who has it (like me or almost anybody in the Swapnote thread) and have them send you a note with it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

retromonk posted:

I loved the Inoko Max bit.

Each special segment featuring an AD seems carefully picked to exaggerate the personality of the AD. Like in this one, Inoko Max comes off as seriously goofy and innocent when he tries to make Arino impressed with the game segments. I think they've pegged Inoko Max as the "man-child" of the show.

Poor Takahashi. As soon as Arino noticed that sweater he was doomed...

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I agree about RGC, it looks like a total shovelware arcade compilation if you don't know what it is.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It would have ruined the entire premise and aesthetic, but a big "THESE ARE NEW GAMES MADE TO LOOK LIKE OLD GAMES! BUY ME!" on the cover might have helped a little.

Maybe have a reversible cover with the normal art on the inside, and the informative art on the outside.

Edit: Also if the show came out in America when they originally planned on it that wouldve been nice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Didn't XSEED have to split the profit four ways, too? Like, they had to negotiate separate deals with indieszero, TV Nihon (or whoever) and NBGI just to release the game, which meant they had to sell an unrealistic amount of copies just to make a profit?

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Didn't XSEED have to split the profit four ways, too? Like, they had to negotiate separate deals with indieszero, TV Nihon (or whoever) and NBGI just to release the game, which meant they had to sell an unrealistic amount of copies just to make a profit?

Haha, they wish. Did you mean Fuji TV?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I haven't been a GCCX fan for terribly long, and I didn't know the game was a tie in to the show right away. Even when I did I was on the fence because it didn't look like a very good game judging by the advertising. After seeing the special though I went out and found a copy. Now I just wish they had left all the Arino-sounds in.

I think the show still has a ways to go in terms of popularity. I frequent a videostream that plays AVGN, classic game room (theyve mentioned gccx on their show, vaguely), jon tron, and a couple other shows and whenever I ask nobody claims to watch the chief. You'd think this would be the same crowd into him. There is a dedicated GCCX stream and its had 12 viewers max at a time.

One of the reasons I like the chief so much more than AVGN in particular is while the nerd is all fake rage, Arino is actually playing the games, being brutalized by the difficulty for hours, and hes usually upbeat about it. It makes you root for him.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

It would have ruined the entire premise and aesthetic, but a big "THESE ARE NEW GAMES MADE TO LOOK LIKE OLD GAMES! BUY ME!" on the cover might have helped a little.

Then you'd be even closer to people looking at the ad and going "Pff, that sounds gay. And it's 30 bucks? Give me a break!" There just wasn't quick and easy way to pitch this game to people without pre-existing knowledge of GCCX.

Blackchamber posted:

I think the show still has a ways to go in terms of popularity. I frequent a videostream that plays AVGN, classic game room (theyve mentioned gccx on their show, vaguely), jon tron, and a couple other shows and whenever I ask nobody claims to watch the chief. You'd think this would be the same crowd into him. There is a dedicated GCCX stream and its had 12 viewers max at a time.
I'm still shocked it got *this* popular. To be sure, people hanging out in streams isn't quite the same as people making regular 4chan threads or people more influential than me nattering on about it on Twitter. I don't think it'll ever surpass AVGN or whatever -- mostly for the same sorts of reasons why Gaki no Tsukai has a good following, but its clips don't get passed around with the explosive regularity of SNL bits or sitcom GIFs. Yes, it's mostly just us supernerds, but that can be enough.

Well this was a cheery post.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 12, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

I haven't been a GCCX fan for terribly long, and I didn't know the game was a tie in to the show right away. Even when I did I was on the fence because it didn't look like a very good game judging by the advertising. After seeing the special though I went out and found a copy. Now I just wish they had left all the Arino-sounds in.

One of the reasons I like the chief so much more than AVGN in particular is while the nerd is all fake rage, Arino is actually playing the games, being brutalized by the difficulty for hours, and hes usually upbeat about it. It makes you root for him.

That is why I plan on getting an import copy of the game with my English copy. I love all the GCCX stuff in the Japanese version and hated the fact that they removed Arinos voice from the game. Also, get the Japanese import for the 2nd DS game. Me and others here can help you with the game.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
The idea of GCCX not managing to surpass the AVGN makes me absurdly sad for some reason.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MUTEkI posted:

The idea of GCCX not managing to surpass the AVGN makes me absurdly sad for some reason.

Thats what I'm saying. Theres no reason why people who like the AVGN wouldn't love GCCX. Its a whole hour of classic games being played with a much more charismatic host.

joek0 posted:

That is why I plan on getting an import copy of the game with my English copy. I love all the GCCX stuff in the Japanese version and hated the fact that they removed Arinos voice from the game. Also, get the Japanese import for the 2nd DS game. Me and others here can help you with the game.

Yeah thats the cliff's edge for me. I don't enjoy the idea of playing a game entirely by reading a translation guide every step of the way. I'm no stranger to import games but I tend to stick to games that need no translation like fighting games. I might buy it regardless to support the GCCX brand though. It can sit on top of the pile of other DS games I haven't gotten around to.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

MUTEkI posted:

Eh don't be. Rolfe is probably one of the few YouTube superstars that actually seems to care about the quality of his work instead of just crapping out a new video every week.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

If it's any consolation, there's plenty of hardcore and casual GCCX fans in Japan that never heard of AVGN! Though there are also Japanese AVGN fansubs. in conclusion the world will never come together

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Haha, they wish. Did you mean Fuji TV?

Yeah, that sounds less wrong.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Finally got my swag today from the Akihabara event (Thanks Chococat!), the King long-sleeve fits like a dream (I got a large and stand at 5'11") and the pins came with neat magnet clips that stick to my bag surprisingly well.

Also cooling pads. Were those from you, Chococat? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

rdbbb posted:

If it's any consolation, there's plenty of hardcore and casual GCCX fans in Japan that never heard of AVGN! Though there are also Japanese AVGN fansubs. in conclusion the world will never come together

Well obviously, we all know what the next project will be once GCCX is done. Bringing the Nerd to Japan! Only question, how would you translate "donkey-fucks" into Japanese?