Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.

TJChap2840 posted:

How long did that village take, because holy poo poo.

Ha! I think about 15 hours, but I've been painting forever. For images like that village, it's all about developing a creative process to make large projects feel small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

TJChap2840 posted:

How long did that village take, because holy poo poo.

Yeah, I'm already salivating for this and I know next to nothing about it.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Beelzebub posted:

Ha! I think about 15 hours, but I've been painting forever. For images like that village, it's all about developing a creative process to make large projects feel small.

To be honest you need to find a programmer to hook up with. Focusing on that amazing art would certainly go a long way to help an equally skilled programmer. I am sure you can program but that kind of skill is perfect for a tandem with someone.

A serious programmer is salivating at a chance to work with you.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Well I'm salivating to work with a serious programmer! I just have too many hobbies for my own good.

edit: Every post from here on must use the word salivating.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 12, 2013

ianhamilton_
Oct 13, 2012

xzzy posted:

Though set up for dealing with web design, this is an interesting site to play with too:

http://colorfilter.wickline.org/

It lets you filter images and html pages to simulate various forms of colorblindness and help non-colorblind people get a bit of perspective on what it's like.

So set up an html page using the color palette of your game and gifs of some assets and dink around with it.. it's pretty interesting. To me anyways.

Not many people know this as it's hidden under the proofing menu, but the same thing is actually available directly in photoshop:

The problem with most of those kind of things though is they can only work on images, which is a bit of a pain if what you really want to see is what it looks like in the game, with the full lighting effects on etc. What we really need is that photoshop style funcionality but actually in the dev environments, in unity and unreal and so on, running in real time.. pretty trivial little post processing job, the algorithms are all out there.

Until then though, just search for color blind simulator on your phone, you can get realtime apps that apply the colur blind filters to whatever your camera is displaying, so you can point it at your game and see what it looks like with the various types of colorblindness in realtime.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

ianhamilton_ posted:

Until then though, just search for color blind simulator on your phone, you can get realtime apps that apply the colur blind filters to whatever your camera is displaying, so you can point it at your game and see what it looks like with the various types of colorblindness in realtime.

:aaa:

That is bad-rear end. That should be in every developer's toolkit to ensure accessibility.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ianhamilton_ posted:

Oh, that's brilliant. Well, time to actually give my breath types icons. It was my original intention, but I was advised by an artistic person that colors would be better. NOT SO FOR THE COLORBLIND... plus having unique icons will probably look more badass, if slightly more complicated.

How should I handle the breath meter, though? Right now, it's represented by B/W versions of the breath bar pips. Maybe just make the consumed ones get small or something? I could make a colorblind HP counter option in addition to the current colored pips, too. HMM.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 12, 2013

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Beelzebub posted:

drat that's some awesome stuff!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
It's a screenshot Saturday, again.

I'm *still* working on the UI. It's taking weeks but it's really important to get this all feeling right. Creatures now keep abilities assigned to them even if they're not part of your active "Solution". Only a small amount of the 'ability unfurling' animation is in there at the moment, but it's functionally complete.

edit: The "Solution Staff" window on the left is totally redundant now; you just drag creatures directly into the solution window at the top right. I'm going to remove it and put the "Abilities" window there instead.

Mug fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 12, 2013

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Mug posted:

I'm *still* working on the UI. It's taking weeks but it's really important to get this all feeling right. Creatures now keep abilities assigned to them even if they're not part of your active "Solution". Only a small amount of the 'ability unfurling' animation is in there at the moment, but it's functionally complete.

edit: The "Solution Staff" window on the left is totally redundant now; you just drag creatures directly into the solution window at the top right. I'm going to remove it and put the "Abilities" window there instead.

Dude, looking smooth! Keep it up :)

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Mug posted:

I keep telling you man it's so worth the effort you've been putting into the details.

(now get me a working Mac build already)

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

the chaos engine posted:

I keep telling you man it's so worth the effort you've been putting into the details.

(now get me a working Mac build already)

I will literally have to re-write the entire engine for Mac in a language I've never used before. Dunno how that's gonna fit into the master plan.

Mug fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 12, 2013

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Mug posted:

I will literally have to re-write the entire engine for Mac in a language I've never used before. Dunno how that's gonna fit into the master plan.

That sounds like your problem, not so much mine. Hop to it.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Posted a new dev blog entry on our site: http://playsignsoflife.com/archives/447 check it out if you're interested in crafting and junk.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

This Screenshot Saturday I find myself bouncing back to Tim the Flazo briefly to share two of the tracks my friend just composed for it (just for the hell of it). Here's the title theme and the sky level music. I'm tempted to work on the game again but I dunno should I really be bouncing between two projects?

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Screenshot Saturday? Screenshot Saturday!

Unnamed Cyber Space farm simulator/shooter for phone/tablet (android at the moment)

You don't get points for killing enemies, just for harvesting space-wheat

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009

Looks great! All the work you're putting into making the UI look and feel 'right' is really paying off.

The color scheme you went for is kind of garish, but I totally dig it. You might want to balance things out a bit by desaturating the blue from the background somewhat though.

I'm at the point where i'm more or less finished with my first game. It's an Arkanoid clone and looks like this:

Needs another dozen levels or so before i'd really call it 'done' I guess, but it was mostly intended as a learning process anyway. You can give try it here. It's a HTML5 game, so probably works best on Chrome.

Working on this was really fun and I learned a lot, so i'll probably try my hand at making another few 'simple' games first before I allow myself to graduate to some massively epic dream project :)

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Is that just straight HTML5 and JavaScript? Very nice.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

korusan posted:

This Screenshot Saturday I find myself bouncing back to Tim the Flazo briefly to share two of the tracks my friend just composed for it (just for the hell of it). Here's the title theme and the sky level music. I'm tempted to work on the game again but I dunno should I really be bouncing between two projects?

Timm has gotten better, this is already better than anything from Tita. At least 2 years have passed since he wrote that music, right? You can tell.

If you were making, say, a pinball game and a sidescroller, then I'm sure you could bounce between both projects. But bouncing back and forth between a retro brawler and a retro sidescroller? I dunno, the concepts seem too similar to me, I think you'd just get burned out faster because working on one wouldn't really feel like a breath of fresh air compared to the other.

As always, this looks sick as hell, but now I'm starting to wonder how long of a tutorial you'll need. When you first started posting about your game I was like 'Ah, cool, isometric strategic shooter thing,' but now I really have no idea what's going on. Are there tooltips for the tiny icons (next to the portraits) on hover? I think that would help a lot.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 12, 2013

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

I'm really looking forward to playing this. I love how detailed the game mechanics look. You're making this using Basic right?

I gave this a try, nice job! The CRT/scan line effect on the artwork is swank.

I finished up the village last night. I'll try to knock out the main character's run animations tonight.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 12, 2013

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

Timm has gotten better, this is already better than anything from Tita. At least 2 years have passed since he wrote that music, right? You can tell.

If you were making, say, a pinball game and a sidescroller, then I'm sure you could bounce between both projects. But bouncing back and forth between a retro brawler and a retro sidescroller? I dunno, the concepts seem too similar to me, I think you'd just get burned out faster because working on one wouldn't really feel like a breath of fresh air compared to the other.

The Tita soundtrack development was spread out over a long period of time. A few of the tracks (most of them World 2, actually, like the graveyard) were made way back in 2008 when I was working on the original incarnation of the game, then updated later as we progressed. So those were four years. The bulk of them, as you said, were made two years ago. Some of them though, like the UV lab, were made just six months ago. One of the cutscene songs actually was finished like four days before I made the game because I was compiling the music and noticed we forgot that particular track. The second song I just linked really shows bridges the gap I think between the rest of the Tita soundtrack and what's been done on the Flazo soundtrack. I'll pass on the compliments to him though, thanks!

Anyway, about doing the fighting game/platformer cocurrently, I should maybe point out I'm not intending on doing the fighting game as a 'retro' type anything. I do tend to have an older look to my games but I suppose that's just my style. I'm better with sprites anyways. I think you're right about the burnout factor though - maybe it's high time I make another Larry Goose tank game, seeing as how the first one kind of sucked and I'd like to try something else that isn't platforming out. I could try an RPG but I always hear people say "don't do those because they never get done/offer anything new". I had a concept for an RPG taking place in a retail-type setting but I'd have to think that one out.

I should probably actually go make games now for a change instead of talking about making them!

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 13, 2013

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

As always, this looks sick as hell, but now I'm starting to wonder how long of a tutorial you'll need. When you first started posting about your game I was like 'Ah, cool, isometric strategic shooter thing,' but now I really have no idea what's going on. Are there tooltips for the tiny icons (next to the portraits) on hover? I think that would help a lot.

There'll definitely be tool-tips and in the home-base area creatures will have a small dialogue box in the corner of the screen when you are talking to them which will just read out a canned block of text depending if a new menu has become available. That, coupled with only introducing one gameplay element at a time, needs to be enough to get the player understanding what's going on. If it takes more than that, I hosed up.

Beelzebub posted:

I'm really looking forward to playing this. I love how detailed the game mechanics look. You're making this using Basic right?
Yeah, it's all in BASIC.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I haven't coded anything in BASIC in a very long time, although it's only been 7 years since I used VB6. As someone who uses OO languages fairly exclusively now, I'm interested in your perspective with respect to the limitations of BASIC. Have you run into any pitfalls where you wish you were using a more powerful language?

ianhamilton_
Oct 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, that's brilliant. Well, time to actually give my breath types icons. It was my original intention, but I was advised by an artistic person that colors would be better. NOT SO FOR THE COLORBLIND... plus having unique icons will probably look more badass, if slightly more complicated.

How should I handle the breath meter, though? Right now, it's represented by B/W versions of the breath bar pips. Maybe just make the consumed ones get small or something? I could make a colorblind HP counter option in addition to the current colored pips, too. HMM.

Interesting stuff right? There's no reason why you can't have colour, colour has entrenched cultural associations and can be a really useful reenforcement, just so long as it's just a reenforcement and not the sole means of communicating the information.

For example here, the red and green are still really useful to have, but because the symbols are there too, it's good for everyone. It's a classic example of how accessibility works, it's all about either reenforcement or flexibility and in this example it's reenforcement.. that reenforcement of what you're trying to communicate just makes it clearer for everyone, instead of being something that you're doing only for people who are colourblind.

All kinds of options rather than BW... semi-transparent, low contrast, a cross over them, etc. If you want to run any ideas by me as a sounding board you can get me on i_h@hotmail.com and @ianhamilton_ as well as here.

Have you got an example of what the pips etc look like?

http://www.gameaccessibilityguidelines.com

ianhamilton_ fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 14, 2013

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Orzo posted:

I haven't coded anything in BASIC in a very long time, although it's only been 7 years since I used VB6. As someone who uses OO languages fairly exclusively now, I'm interested in your perspective with respect to the limitations of BASIC. Have you run into any pitfalls where you wish you were using a more powerful language?

I haven't had too many bad problems. I wish I could use arrays as freely as you can with PHP, though.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Cross posting from #1GAM; I did a video for screenshot saturday, but that's cool, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5jr-qa2O4

I've been pretty lazy, though.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Was posted already in the iOS games thread a while back, but here is a screenshot of the game we're almost done with.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

Was posted already in the iOS games thread a while back, but here is a screenshot of the game we're almost done with.

That's pretty awesome looking. What else besides Futile did you use for this?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

TJChap2840 posted:

That's pretty awesome looking. What else besides Futile did you use for this?

Photoshop? Not sure what you mean.

Edit: Did used Tiled for editing maps. Although we ended up swapping out rendering individual tiles for one big image.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 13, 2013

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009

Orzo posted:

Is that just straight HTML5 and JavaScript? Very nice.

It's a Construct 2 game, so there's some webGL in there too. I could take or leave the event system it uses, but i like how it allows me to focus on game logic and graphics.

Beelzebub posted:

I gave this a try, nice job! The CRT/scan line effect on the artwork is swank.

I finished up the village last night. I'll try to knock out the main character's run animations tonight.

Thanks, the gameplay is nothing special but I tried to make it visually interesting at least :)

I'm getting a really cool Asterix vibe from your village, it even has menhirs! All it really needs now is a gagged and bound bard hanging from a tree somewhere.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RhysD posted:

It's called "Take My Machete" - the game is an action/arcade beat-em-up, featuring hordes of Aliens, collectible pets, different game modes, cool soundtrack, pixels + more!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/take-my-machete/id582902140?mt=8

Gave this a whirl and it's a good bit of fun. I have to say though that I've found myself using the bow a hell of a lot more than the machete. Since you can fire as quickly as you can swipe it kinda wrecks house.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
That free download for Adobe CS2 is back up: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Probably of use to a bunch of indies out there. Now, remember, this is ONLY for those updating their license, ok? Nobody download it unless they already own the old version. Adobe and I are, like, super serious, ok. :mad:

EDIT: It still bugs me that this is a no-go for modern Macs, though. That Adobe forcibly obsolesces products Mac-side makes me stupid angry. On PC-side, I'm still happily using CS3, and have zero intentions of ever upgrading, because I don't need anything else... but no, no, that's apparently not allowed if you're a Mac user. Harumph. I realize it's probably more Apple's fault because of their iffy handling of the transition to a different underlying processor architecture, but still. Harumph I say.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 14, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Screenshot...Monday? Didn't really have time on Saturday to put a video together.

Just showing some animation configuration things, the process of using the tools I've built for content management, importing sprite animations, setting up the looping/interpolation modes for animations, etc.

Short blog post here

Anootated video here, you probably need to make it HD/large to see anything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12AvgBE97xA

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Yodzilla posted:

Gave this a whirl and it's a good bit of fun. I have to say though that I've found myself using the bow a hell of a lot more than the machete. Since you can fire as quickly as you can swipe it kinda wrecks house.

Thanks, and yeah the bow does own things haha! I did try limiting it once but it took away the fun. I prefer to use a mixture when playing, and some enemies need to be killed via the machete.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think it's a testament to how much game design is my calling that the instant I encounter a new game design tool I can get my head around I immediately waste an entire weekend throwing things together.

Earlier it was Twine, now it's StoryNexus. Similar to Twine, it's a code-free just-write-stuff-and-a-game-happens kind of design tool. Of course, like Twine it's incredibly limited due to the very things that make it accessible to people like me, but I'm having great fun with it starting to put together a way-too-ambitious space game.

I'm always very, very happy whenever I find a tool like this. StoryNexus is a good example of what a code-free game design tool should be, which is to say truly accessible. I don't mind that you can only make a very specific kind of game with it. I'm willing to accept this trade-off and enjoy the challenge of doing something unique with a limited toolset.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Wow, this thread is moving slowly... only two posts in between my last update.

I've spent the last week or so working on an 'entity control' system for my game which lets me write scripts to interpolate various properties in parallel/sequence with arbitrary values and different interpolation curves.

Annotated video here, showing 12 progressively more complex situations. All scenarios were written directly in the level editor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTW1k_iFG00

Blog post here. For anyone that's interested in code, I've dumped all the Lua scripts that control each of the balls at the end of the post.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 18, 2013

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Orzo posted:

Wow, this thread is moving slowly... only two posts in between my last update.

I haven't had a single minute to make any progress on a project in the past two weeks, it's just been constant work or socializing. I'm afraid I'm going to open up my source and go "uh what does all this do again :stare:"

I'm actually getting promoted from half development / half support at my job to full time development which makes me think I'll be even less motivated to program after spending the entire day doing the same thing already. Maybe after enough time you become desensitized to it?

At least we're approaching the end of January so maybe some people will start showing us their one game a month submissions.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Manslaughter posted:

I'm actually getting promoted from half development / half support at my job to full time development which makes me think I'll be even less motivated to program after spending the entire day doing the same thing already. Maybe after enough time you become desensitized to it?

I find I get all my creative energies out during the workday, so when I get home the last thing I want to do is anything resembling work. I know some designers who do want to keep going on personal projects, and god bless them for having that drive, I just don't.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I find I get all my creative energies out during the workday, so when I get home the last thing I want to do is anything resembling work. I know some designers who do want to keep going on personal projects, and god bless them for having that drive, I just don't.

I think it's even worse in IT.. no creative outlet at work because it's all user accounts and disk space, then I get home and the last thing I want to sit in front of is a computer.

I basically only do creative stuff on the weekends after I've recuperated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
It is easy for me to come up with ideas for games that I want to create and think about the code required to make them but as soon as I sit down to do draw some sprites I get completely demoralized and give up immediately.