Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Astraweb just dropped my sub as I was waiting for. I think I might go for the 1tb sub for $50...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppet Danny Brown
Sep 24, 2006

Smell like a penguin
Are there non-DMCA compliant Usenet providers anybody can recommend?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Just found out about this really nice HTPC front-end that creates a dashboard with widgets for XBMC, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Headphones, and more. I highly recommend checking it out:

http://www.maraschinoproject.com/

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Madd0g11 posted:

In the misc/testing folder there is a script called update_parsing.php that renames the weird named releases using the NFO or release file of the post. I've been using it to clean up once a day and it's been helpful.

Thanks so much for this. I've now added it to my scheduler, and it seems to pick up a lot of previously missed releases. :woop:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Symbolized posted:

Are there non-DMCA compliant Usenet providers anybody can recommend?

Nothing like this exists. Pick a sub from a big USP that gives you the best speed and retention for the cheapest amount, then buy 1-3 block accounts from other back end providers. Use this to help:

Every USP responds to DMCAs, you could probably look at it as every USP having the same percentage of takedowns, just some stuff might be available on one backend that isn't on another. That's why you buy block accounts when they're on offer.

Personally I still have my Astraweb one and an XSUsenet setup as a backup that I don't pay for, they allow account sharing and someone has been letting me use it for a long time and I never have problems with incompletes.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Nothing like this exists. Pick a sub from a big USP that gives you the best speed and retention for the cheapest amount, then buy 1-3 block accounts from other back end providers.

Every USP responds to DMCAs, you could probably look at it as every USP having the same percentage of takedowns, just some stuff might be available on one backend that isn't on another. That's why you buy block accounts when they're on offer.

Personally I still have my Astraweb one and an XSUsenet setup as a backup that I don't pay for, they allow account sharing and someone has been letting me use it for a long time and I never have problems with incompletes.

Agreed, although some are slower than others to comply. I agree, if you have an CP/SB set up with a decent search time, plus a few block accounts, you're fine. Currently still on Astra with a free XSUsenet account along with block accounts with Tweaknews and BlockNews. No issues.

Muppet Danny Brown
Sep 24, 2006

Smell like a penguin

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

This is helpful, thanks. It seems takedowns have skyrocketed recently. Sickbeard helps get the jump on them, but it doesn't do anything for older releases.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I helped my mate out with incompletes and he was still on Astraweb, complaining about the large number of takedowns.

I'm on SuperNews, and in my download history I have no failed downloads, I have block accounts at Astraweb, Blocknews and now NewsDemon to get Highwinds Media downlads, the block accounts see a total of maybe 100 MB per month vs. ~60GB transferred per month otherwise.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I seem to be getting a lot of NZBs that wont even start downloading once they're in SABNZBD, let alone finish as incomplete. There's no error message.
Is this what a DMCA takedown looks like?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
No that sounds more like a glitch, try turning error logging all the way up?

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I seem to be getting a lot of NZBs that wont even start downloading once they're in SABNZBD, let alone finish as incomplete. There's no error message.

Missing content has the download speed very low (couple of kb/s) with the progress bar moving quickly across.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've got a download that failed in SAB, but repaired fine manually (the files were renamed). When I manually extract, 7zip tells me the (extracted) file is corrupt. Is there any further troubleshooting I can do on my end? Comments on the nzb seem to indicate the file works when manually extracted...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The parity files could have been made on a damaged set. If it's a rar archive, see if the set has a built-in recovery record. If that's a dead end, look for the same set (same name, number of archive files) on binsearch and see if a different parity set can fix it.

Depending on what type of media it is, sometimes I've been content with "works".

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
With nzbs.org going down yet again it seems I'm going to have to jump on board with one of these indexers. Are you guys mostly running spotweb or newznab? Both? I'll be honest I don't know jack poo poo about Apache or PHP so the newznab install is not working out for me. Spotweb was easy enough to install and its running its update at the moment.

Is there a decent walkthrough or guide for installing newznab somewhere? I'm guessing not. The installation instructions on the newznab site kind of assume you know how to setup apache which I do not.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Is it just me or was Usenet 1000x better 5 years ago?

I'm going to read through this thread for some tips.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

visuvius posted:

With nzbs.org going down yet again...

What? I'm on right now. Are you using the new link mentioned in this thread?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
it was down then up again, it always happens so people need to calm down or go find another indexer

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.
I am getting a ton of new releases failing, generally the error message being "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (x short)", though I am also getting "Download failed - Out of your server's retention?" and "Invalid par2 files, cannot verify or repair"

At first I thought it was because of DMCA takedowns, but I have both a thecubenet.com block account for backup and supernews.com as my main provider. I can tell that the backup block account is being used, because it shows bandwidth being used from it every day.

Any suggestions? Could this perhaps be a hardware problem?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

So Astraweb sent me an email that their payment processor has changed, invited me to switch over to multicards.com for payment, and suspended my account. Multicards.com has pretty terrible reviews all over the place. Has anyone ever dealt with them and if I choose to avoid them who is current goon-preferred newshost?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Supernews is a popular choice, they have a $11/mo unlimited plan.

I just found out about this deal. $7/mo Highwinds reseller.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
When NZBMatrix was shut down, there was talk of a goon NZB server. Is that still a possibility, or has everyone pretty much gravitated towards rolling their own with Newznab?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Loucks posted:

So Astraweb sent me an email that their payment processor has changed, invited me to switch over to multicards.com for payment, and suspended my account. Multicards.com has pretty terrible reviews all over the place. Has anyone ever dealt with them and if I choose to avoid them who is current goon-preferred newshost?

Is Paypal not an option?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

EC posted:

Is Paypal not an option?

Probably, but I won't use Paypal. About five years ago they hosed me hard when my account was hacked. I eventually got back the money, but they refuse to unlock my account to this day. They'll never see another thin dime.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt
I've figured out that my cable company (Mediacom) is throttling my Newsgroups connectivity. 10 minutes with a VPN service and... yep... those are the speeds I expect.

Obviously, VPN is a solution that will work to get my speeds back... but that's an additional monthly cost I'd like to avoid.

I'm using Supernews, and I've tried all the ports they offer: 119 and 80 (non-SSL) and 443 and 563 (SSL enabled). None of these really seem to make a difference... I get the same speeds either way.

I'm surprised that SSL on port 443 doesn't work... this is the same port that HTTPS traffic uses. Are they throttling HTTPS traffic too? Or are they doing some sort of Deep Packet Inspection to differentiate the Newsgroups traffic?

I figured they could've specifically throttled Supernews, so I tried my Blocknews account on port 443... and again... same speeds. I *NEVER* use Blocknews either.

I'm mostly just venting. I don't think there's really a way around this short of a VPN service. The throttling seems to subside in the overnight hours, so if I have a lot to download, I'll just aim to do it then. Frustrating.

a63548
Mar 20, 2004

BigBadBrewsta posted:

I've figured out that my cable company (Mediacom) is throttling my Newsgroups connectivity. 10 minutes with a VPN service and... yep... those are the speeds I expect.

How much is Mediacom throttling the connection? Last time I tried Astraweb with them it maxed out the connection at around 1.35-1.5MB/s. However that was most likely a few weeks ago.

Larry Christ
Jul 27, 2005
I'm on Supernews and Mediacom in IA. The speed issues I've had are only during peak hours, during non-peak I always see max speeds, and that's over 443. You may just be on an oversold node, which given that it's Mediacom (any US cableco really) isn't that surprising.

Interesting that you could achieve full speed with a VPN... was that during peak hours though?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Loucks posted:

Woah seriously? Is it like, fradulent or something? I just bought an astraweb block plan as a backup last night. It's listed as "2buysafe.com" so maybe their block billing is different from subscription billing. Either way that's not very impressive.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

tronester posted:

I am getting a ton of new releases failing, generally the error message being "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (x short)", though I am also getting "Download failed - Out of your server's retention?" and "Invalid par2 files, cannot verify or repair"

At first I thought it was because of DMCA takedowns, but I have both a thecubenet.com block account for backup and supernews.com as my main provider. I can tell that the backup block account is being used, because it shows bandwidth being used from it every day.

Try downloading without any sort of postprocessing and extract it manually.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

BigBadBrewsta posted:

Obviously, VPN is a solution that will work to get my speeds back... but that's an additional monthly cost I'd like to avoid.

I'm using Supernews, and I've tried all the ports they offer: 119 and 80 (non-SSL) and 443 and 563 (SSL enabled). None of these really seem to make a difference... I get the same speeds either way.

I'm surprised that SSL on port 443 doesn't work... this is the same port that HTTPS traffic uses. Are they throttling HTTPS traffic too? Or are they doing some sort of Deep Packet Inspection to differentiate the Newsgroups traffic?

I figured they could've specifically throttled Supernews, so I tried my Blocknews account on port 443... and again... same speeds. I *NEVER* use Blocknews either.

I'm mostly just venting. I don't think there's really a way around this short of a VPN service. The throttling seems to subside in the overnight hours, so if I have a lot to download, I'll just aim to do it then. Frustrating.

Some USPs allow port 80, try that?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I have the exact same thing, however I recently increased SAB retention from 500 to 1600 or something which was advertised on my useness provider. Is my retention too big and causing problems?

I have several downloads that have been at 80-90% for a few days and won't complete...

Since my sub to Astraweb will end I will probably buy a supernews account along a block account somewhere.
What should I be looking for when choosing a block account? Just price or are there other factors.

EDIT: Also concerning maximum connection to your server, do you guys put the value that the provider gives or should I put it lower than that?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 13, 2013

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

tronester posted:

Make sure your SABNZBD is up to date.

had the same issue and it was pissing me off to no end. I checked my version of SABNZBD, and realized I was way behind on updates. Once I was back up to date, I retried all the failed ones and they repaired correctly.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

chunkles posted:

Woah seriously? Is it like, fradulent or something? I just bought an astraweb block plan as a backup last night. It's listed as "2buysafe.com" so maybe their block billing is different from subscription billing. Either way that's not very impressive.

How would it be fraudulent? They were paying one company to handle their credit card processing, now they're paying another. They had to let people with recurring plans expire in order to switch them to a new one. That's it.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

-Raygun T-Shirt

a63548 posted:

How much is Mediacom throttling the connection? Last time I tried Astraweb with them it maxed out the connection at around 1.35-1.5MB/s. However that was most likely a few weeks ago.

I get between 1.0 and 1.5 MB/s during the daytime hours. I hit 6.0 MB/s from 1 AM until the early morning hours. (I have the 50/5 "Ultra 50" plan.) So, they're throttling it back quite a bit. If you're on a "normal" 15/1 plan, you might not even notice the throttling though, since that's enough to saturate that connection.

Larry Christ posted:

I'm on Supernews and Mediacom in IA. The speed issues I've had are only during peak hours, during non-peak I always see max speeds, and that's over 443. You may just be on an oversold node, which given that it's Mediacom (any US cableco really) isn't that surprising.

Interesting that you could achieve full speed with a VPN... was that during peak hours though?

This was around 7:30 PM on a Saturday. 1.1 MB/s from Supernews through a direct connection. I closed SABNZBD+, connected to the VPN, fired SABNZBD+ back up, and immediately hit 5.0+ MB/s from Supernews. All of 5 minutes difference and this is during peak hours.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Some USPs allow port 80, try that?

I did. Unfortunately, Supernews / Giganews only support port 80 as unencrypted traffic... which makes it very easy for Mediacom to see that it's NNTP traffic and throttle it back. I didn't see any speed differences between 80/119 (Unencrypted) and 443/563 (Encrypted). All four ports operated at the same speeds.

I don't think I'm going to win this battle. Thankfully, the speeds do creep up to full speed overnight, so if I have a lot queued up, it'll blaze through it during the overnight hours. It's pretty clear they've got some advanced techniques going on to sniff this traffic, and unless some Usenet provider starts offering some really esoteric port / encryption combinations... not sure if there's a whole lot I can do about it. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.

torjus posted:

Try downloading without any sort of postprocessing and extract it manually.

Yep, this worked. I used quickpar to check it out, then extracted the iso which was around 45gig with no issues.

Are there some options I can set in sabnzbd to fix this issue?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
I have a spare ionitx-a-u barebones laying around that I would like to run some form of Linux, ubuntu server probably, with newznab, sabnzbd, couchpotato, and sickbeard. It is a dual core 1.6Ghz with 2GB of ram. Will this handle all of that alright along with acting as a file server?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
They aren't magically sniffing your SSL traffic, they're just throttling traffic to your usenet provider's IP/hostname.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

-Raygun T-Shirt

blargle posted:

They aren't magically sniffing your SSL traffic, they're just throttling traffic to your usenet provider's IP/hostname.

Could be. But I tried Blocknews and had the same speeds, and I've downloaded all of ~300 MB from Blocknews over the past 6 months. Of course, I am sure there's someone else out there who may have downloaded a ton from Blocknews. They've probably gotten to all the major providers. I guess it's either deal with slower speeds or pony up for VPN.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

St. Blaize posted:

I have a spare ionitx-a-u barebones laying around that I would like to run some form of Linux, ubuntu server probably, with newznab, sabnzbd, couchpotato, and sickbeard. It is a dual core 1.6Ghz with 2GB of ram. Will this handle all of that alright along with acting as a file server?

Apart from Newznab that will all run just fine on it. My file server was previously an E7200 with 2GB of memory handling all my usenet needs. I haven't setup a Newznab instance yet as I've got everything automated with existing indexers.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

What alternatives to Usenet are there that are not Torrents?

The whole scheme is just plain broken as gently caress right now. I dont know what is going on but theres just large scale wreckage and almost everything I try to grab is broken as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

duck monster posted:

What alternatives to Usenet are there that are not Torrents?

The whole scheme is just plain broken as gently caress right now. I dont know what is going on but theres just large scale wreckage and almost everything I try to grab is broken as hell.

You're probably doing something wrong then. There is definitely not large scale wreckage. I haven't had a failure in the last 2 solid weeks. Granted my block accounts are pulling data but still I am getting completions. As far as alternatives? FTP? Megaupload.com? Trade usb sticks with friends?