Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Depends on how you define "anything." Major rookies are still worth at least a few bucks, and Ripkens can bring strong prices. McGwire, Bonds, and Clemens rookies - which used to have good value to varying degrees - all crashed about five to seven years ago due to the steroids stuff, though.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting nice graded examples of all of this stuff because it's just so drat cheap and a lot of it is the cards I wanted but couldn't afford when I was a kid.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of cards that have actually gone up in value since the late 80's / early 90's.

Point taken on the McGwire/Bonds/Clemens thing. Just looked up 84 Fleer update Clemens cards, and I'd swear the prices were half of what I'd seen the last time I checked. Same goes for the Puckett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

jeffersonlives posted:

I've been tossing around the idea of getting nice graded examples of all of this stuff because it's just so drat cheap and a lot of it is the cards I wanted but couldn't afford when I was a kid.

Jose Canseco is tied with Barry Zito and Mike Schmidt for being my favorite baseball player of all time. My dad got me that Donruss Canseco rookie with the terrible mustache once for a couple bucks when at one time it probably cost over $100.

On an unrelated note, one of my favorite baseball memorabilia pieces is a hand puppet of Domer, the Skydome turtle. I got him at the Blue Jays team store for 97 cents Canadian a couple years ago, along with a program from the Skydome opening gala and a Jason Bay WBC jersey t-shirt.

ElwoodCuse fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 13, 2013

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

jeffersonlives posted:

God damned if that's not a fabulous idea.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes
I was big into baseball cards as a kid from mid 1980s-early 1990s. I haven't bought more than a few packs here and there over the past 15+ years. I ended up picking up a couple retail boxes yesterday at Toys R Us. It was my first card purchase in a few years and I had a blast opening the packs. Then I found this thread and read through it and had the urge to buy more. On our trip to Target today I dropped about $100 just getting a variety of stuff to check out. No outstanding hits, but still a lot of fun.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

psychosockmonkee posted:

I was big into baseball cards as a kid from mid 1980s-early 1990s. I haven't bought more than a few packs here and there over the past 15+ years. I ended up picking up a couple retail boxes yesterday at Toys R Us. It was my first card purchase in a few years and I had a blast opening the packs. Then I found this thread and read through it and had the urge to buy more. On our trip to Target today I dropped about $100 just getting a variety of stuff to check out. No outstanding hits, but still a lot of fun.

What did you buy?

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

theacox posted:

What did you buy?

Yesterday at Toys R Us I grabbed:
2011 Topps Series Ones box
2012 Topps Series Two box

Today at target I grabbed:
3 Value packs of 2012 Topps Chrome (3 regular packs and 3 parallel cards)
3 Value packs of 2012 Bowman Platinum (3 regular packs and 3 parallel cards)
2012 A&G box (8 packs)
20 individual packs of 2012 Topps Series Two (50% off was calling to me)
2012 Topps Update Series box
2012 Topps Value Box (5 packs of Topps Series One and 2 Hobby packs of Heritage)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

psychosockmonkee posted:

One of the first things you'll learn about collecting post-2000 is that retail has pretty piss poor odds of landing anything good. Can you? Sure, but the deck is stacked against you. If you have a hobby shop in your area, check them out, hobby odds are much better.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

Chief McHeath posted:

One of the first things you'll learn about collecting post-2000 is that retail has pretty piss poor odds of landing anything good. Can you? Sure, but the deck is stacked against you. If you have a hobby shop in your area, check them out, hobby odds are much better.

Yeah, thanks for the tip. I was looking online a bit today for some places nearby. I hope to check a couple out in the next week or so.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Hopefully you can find an LCS. I have found that a decent LCS will cost you 15-20% than online. My local (30 miles away) is 100% more than online. I have to go 50+ miles to find a reasonable one, so I host/join a lot more breaks. Feel free to share your experiences.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Also don't buy loose retail packs as people search them. It's best to stick with 40 or 50% off blaster boxes or those 20 packs for $20 grab boxes (if they still make them, I haven't seen any in awhile.)

If you want to put sets together just go with hobby boxes. I've put Topps baseball and football sets together with retail blasters before and I get so many drat doubles that it would have been cheaper just to buy a jumbo Hobby box. Plus I would have gotten an autograph in the Hobby box.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

So I just bought my first hobby box. 2012 Topps Series One. There is no auto or relic card pack so I'm assuming I got screwed by Topps or am I missing something?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Boinks posted:

those 20 packs for $20 grab boxes (if they still make them, I haven't seen any in awhile.)

Yes they still make them. I bought one tonight and here are my hits (I got really lucky):

psychosockmonkee posted:

So I just bought my first hobby box. 2012 Topps Series One. There is no auto or relic card pack so I'm assuming I got screwed by Topps or am I missing something?

Yeah, each hobby box should have an auto or relic. Where did you buy it?

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

Quantrill posted:

Yeah, each hobby box should have an auto or relic. Where did you buy it?

At a local shop. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the way they include them. Is the guaranteed auto/relic in one of the normal packs or in a pack all to itself?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

psychosockmonkee posted:

At a local shop. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the way they include them. Is the guaranteed auto/relic in one of the normal packs or in a pack all to itself?

Normal pack. Keep opening, you'll find it.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Normal pack. Keep opening, you'll find it.

Cool, thanks. Whew...I actually started watching a box break to see if I was thinking about it wrong.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Anybody heard anything other than this about the new Turkey Red?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

theacox posted:

Anybody heard anything other than this about the new Turkey Red?

Interesting. I found this: http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/01/topps-will-revive-turkey-red-as-shoptopps-exclusive/

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I don't know if this has been talked about before, but what do you guys think of pack searchers? A pack searcher is someone that goes through packs looking for those with memorabilia as often times those with jersey cards/etc are fatter and thicker than the rest. I have heard that some even weigh the cards. I do admit to doing it a time or to(not weighing,just feeling) as a card collecting newbie but have since stopped when I realized how pathetic and sad it is.

It is sad to see some middle aged man (as if often is) going through pack after pack of wal-mart packs in search of what is likely a dollar jersey card.

Pendergast fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 2, 2013

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Nothing is more gratifying than seeing someone open a pack of hockey cards after pack searching and pulling a big fat cardboard decoy.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I don't do it, but I don't really give a gently caress if they're doing it at Wal-Mart or Target or wherever.

Oh Jesus they're ruining it for the kids! Well, the hobby isn't geared towards kids anymore.

Most LCS I know of keep their loose wax behind the counter anyhow. They'll let you say what you want, say second down, top right, etc, but a lot of them will also shuffle packs from a fresh box into the open one to keep people from sniping. I know in some Bowman Chrome products from the past the auto was always in pack two or three down on the bottom right part of the box.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If anyone wants a random assortment of 20ish blue wal-mart exclusive base cards from Topps Series 1, or some SF Giants die-cut inserts from the same set, PM me and I'll send them out. I bought a bunch of packs the other day and if anyone's trying to complete sets I'll send them out for no charge, I'd rather see them go to goons than end up in my trash can/gathering dust in a box for god knows how long.

The wal-mart blues actually look really nice, too. I might grab a set of Rangers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TOPPS-...=p2047675.l2557

edit: I hit the Russell Martin Out of Bounds SP too if any Yankees fans are into that

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 2, 2013

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Echoing Swagger here. I've got a lot of the blue variants and other inserts if anyone needs any.

Edit: I just checked for any OUT OF BOUNDS™ SPs and I have 2 Andre Ethiers

Quantrill fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 2, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pendergast posted:

I don't know if this has been talked about before, but what do you guys think of pack searchers? A pack searcher is someone that goes through packs looking for those with memorabilia as often times those with jersey cards/etc are fatter and thicker than the rest. I have heard that some even weigh the cards. I do admit to doing it a time or to(not weighing,just feeling) as a card collecting newbie but have since stopped when I realized how pathetic and sad it is.

It is sad to see some middle aged man (as if often is) going through pack after pack of wal-mart packs in search of what is likely a dollar jersey card.
It's stupid, and I don't know why people even bother anymore when the new cards are mostly worth nothing now. You have to pull something like a Jeter, Darvish, Trout, or Harper autograph to make it worth your time.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Well agonizing over it or bringing a scale is pretty bad but if it's just a question of picking up a stack of packs from the box at Target or whatever and flipping through them I don't see what the big deal is.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

Just pulled a Yu Darvish All-Star jersey patch out of a hobby box of 2012 Topps Update Series. Numbered 5/6. Pretty sweet looking card.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wow that's amazing.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
That is one hella nice card!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Holy poo poo.

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net
Is there any interest in another SA box/case break? I did one before on here and it worked out great! I was thinking of buying a case of 2012 Gypsy Queen, 2011 Panini Limited Football, 2012 Crown Royale (football) and/or 2011 Panini Playbook (football).

eviLduke fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 5, 2013

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

eviLduke posted:

Is there any interest in another SA box/case break? I did one before on here and it worked out great! I was thinking of buying a case of 2012 Gypsy Queen, 2011 Panini Limited Football, 2012 Crown Royale (football) and/or 2011 Panini Playbook (football).

I'd be in for something baseball

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net

theacox posted:

I'd be in for something baseball

Interested in a specific product?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I would be interested in doing a Topps 2013 break

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

eviLduke posted:

Interested in a specific product?

something fairly cheap? heritage?

something expensive? tribute or museum?

also, i'm waiting for details on this Turkey Red release...

At this point, I'm so sick of Bowman, Bowman, Bowman, I'd do just about anything else.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This year's Heritage or Gypsy Queen would be pretty sweet.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Pendergast posted:

I once saw a dude with calipers measuring each pack to buy the thickest ones possible. The whole thing is stupid. If you want to grab five packs and pick out which one you think is heaviest, be my guest, but if you're going to be that big of a nerd about it, you deserve every Lastings Milledge relic card you get.

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net
Keep the suggestions coming! However, to make things easy as I have a feeling everyone is going to want something slightly different and done a different way, I will propose a break.

2012 Gypsy Queen case (10 boxes)

10 slots, 3 random teams/slot, $100/slot.

This will include top loaders for any auto, relic or #'d card, shipping/packaging, PayPal fees!

I will stream it on USTREAM, use random.org to decide teams and any multiple team cards where there is no majority team owner.

WHAT FUN!

otbnd
Aug 29, 2004

Champion of Warcraft!

Ask me about my pro cheives!

I'm a giant piece of fucking shit

Pendergast posted:

Just discovered this thread this morning...long time collector here.

This post brought me back to my childhood big time. I remember it was 1997 or 1998 and my Dad, brother and I were in the car on the way home from the card shop, feverishly opening our packs of 1997 Upper Deck in the back seat. He bought us five packs each, and I had opened a couple already, and when I grabbed the next I said out loud, "Dad this pack feels thick". He said something along the lines of 'just open it', and lo and behold, a 1997 Ray Ordonez game jersey card.

http://mets360.com/?p=10542

I freaked the gently caress out screaming "GAME JERSEY GAME JERSEY GAME JERSEY!!!!!" and my Dad almost lost control of the car. Ooops. He was pretty excited about it too, though.

This--to my knowledge--was the absolute first sub-set of cards ever to have game worn jerseys in them (the website above concurs), comprised of three cards: Ken Griffey Jr., Tony Gwynn, and Ray Ordonez (????? lol). Ken Griffey Jr. was my favorite player at the time (being a little kid and all I mean come on, his cards were the only ones in Beckett listed consistently at $3.00 ea.!), but I was so, so excited to open that pack and pull that card, having known that it felt different. It's something that really baffles me to think about even today, that my tiny 8 year old fingers could somehow have felt the difference between the packs.

We amassed quite a collection of cards and random memorabilia, I'll have to take pictures and post some of my gems. I had a thread on SA-mart a while back trying to unload a couple older (1960s-1970s Topps) cards. Had I known about this thread I would have cross-posted it all.

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net

eviLduke posted:

Keep the suggestions coming! However, to make things easy as I have a feeling everyone is going to want something slightly different and done a different way, I will propose a break.

2012 Gypsy Queen case (10 boxes)

10 slots, 3 random teams/slot, $100/slot.

This will include top loaders for any auto, relic or #'d card, shipping/packaging, PayPal fees!

I will stream it on USTREAM, use random.org to decide teams and any multiple team cards where there is no majority team owner.

WHAT FUN!

Too expensive, perhaps?

2012 Topps Heritage 6 Box Break
  • 10 slots
  • 3 drafted teams/slot
  • $40/slot

eviLduke fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 6, 2013

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

eviLduke posted:

Too expensive, perhaps?

2012 Topps Heritage 6 Box Break
  • 10 slots
  • 3 random teams/slot
  • $40/slot

Popping in from the hockey thread.
Drafts work out and get better interest usually then random teams(And the draft takes maybe 20-30 minutes)
Also, try DACardworld for prices on boxes (they are notorius for giving freebies as well)
The Gypsy queen you mentioned is 910 a case currently,
And the heritage is 590 for a 12 box case.

I suggest personally from hockey, doing cases, or a wide mix of random products that you get great value from and a mix. (As you can see our 60 dollar break filled 15 slots in just about 2-3 weeks, with 10 or so different products)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net

Ashekaban posted:

Popping in from the hockey thread.
Drafts work out and get better interest usually then random teams(And the draft takes maybe 20-30 minutes)
Also, try DACardworld for prices on boxes (they are notorius for giving freebies as well)
The Gypsy queen you mentioned is 910 a case currently,
And the heritage is 590 for a 12 box case.

I suggest personally from hockey, doing cases, or a wide mix of random products that you get great value from and a mix. (As you can see our 60 dollar break filled 15 slots in just about 2-3 weeks, with 10 or so different products)

I love the draft idea! I was planning on using DA...

I was putting on $10 per person for:
  • shipping ($5)
  • packaging toploaders+padded envelope($1-2)
  • PayPal fees ($1-3)

I assume you felt the prices were too high? I would prefer to break even on it, as much as I love you guys. Would it make a world of difference if the price was dropped down $5? I was assuming the total cost per person/shipment was going to be between $5-10. And with the Gypsy, I rounded down to make it an even $100 meaning $9 per person. I'm not sure how much cheaper I can do it without risking a loss.

I just want to open some cards! I can't spend anymore money on them for myself so I'm going to see if it's still enjoyable and worth my time to front for the case and get to open them while you all get to gamble on the break (what a rush, I have spent over $500 in breaks in the last week).

• Locked thread