Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Rueish posted:

You're crazy if you don't think all of those are very Nier-esc.

I don't hear any tribal percussion or any ritualistic/holy chanting in the background. It just sounds like some generic incidental music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

As long as we're arguing music, I feel like one of the great strength's of the FF soundtracks are its ability to match the emotional cues of the story so well. There was Kotaku article that summed up this point pretty well, about how the most emotional part of Aerith's death scene didn't come until the silence broke with the musical cue.

And to chip in my opinion, I think A Place to Call Home is a fantastic and overlooked piece of Final Fantasy music that evokes feelings of longing and loneliness that is such a defining element of so many of the characters personal story arcs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I will argue to the death that FF3 has some of the best music in the series.

I love FF13's soundtrack. It has some crap but every FF soundtrack does and a lot of the songs made otherwise boring areas bearable.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Krad posted:

I don't hear any tribal percussion or any ritualistic/holy chanting in the background. It just sounds like some generic incidental music.

None of the tracks I posted are "generic."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I love FF13's soundtrack. It has some crap but every FF soundtrack does and a lot of the songs made otherwise boring areas bearable.

Oh yeah, what's your favorite tune? Generic Orchestra bit #1, #2, really crappy battle music with all the empowerment of Margaret Thatcher in a cold shower or the really loving annoying pop song? I just can't choose!

I mean at least FF8 had Man with the Machine Gun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh yeah, what's your favorite tune? Generic Orchestra bit #1, #2, really crappy battle music with all the empowerment of Margaret Thatcher in a cold shower or the really loving annoying pop song? I just can't choose!

Blinded By Light is one of the best battle themes the series has had, sorry. Even if I hated the rest of FFXIII's soundtrack, that one is by and above one of my favorite FF songs ever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 13, 2013

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

On the other hand...

(Blinded By Light is also really good yeah, it's way more listenable as an individual track than most other standard FF battle songs)

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 13, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Bossa nova is always great. Liked it in Costa del Sol back in FFVII, liked it even more here when it actually sounded like legitimate bossa nova.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 13, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ImpAtom posted:

Blinded By Light is one of the best battle themes the series has had, sorry. Even if I hated the rest of FFXIII's soundtrack, that one is by and above one of my favorite FF songs ever.

A yup gotta agree with this. I like the crystal theme a lot too. Was kind of overused in the game IIRC but still.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

voltron lion force posted:

A yup gotta agree with this. I like the crystal theme a lot too. Was kind of overused in the game IIRC but still.

The part at 1:20 where the violin changes its chord progression and the piano slows down is so beautiful.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
All this talk of FF music and no one mentions Crazy Chocobo :colbert:

Seriously though, I really love the FFXIII-2 version of Battle on the Big Bridge.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

ImpAtom posted:

And to continue the tradition I still feel like Paradigm Shift is another really catchy main battle theme in XIII-2.
Actually Last Hunter is pretty drat good too once it gets to the violin section.

Personally I think the more electronic inspired tracks from XIII-2 are more catchy than XIII's OST but I understand that it's also a pretty big departure for the series in terms of musical direction too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I will do the same for FF2.
Rebel Army Theme
Possibly the best Normal Battle theme in the series
Ancient Castle
Dungeon
And since people were talking about generic stuff, I'v ealways found this FF2 Boss Theme to be pretty unique.

Brother Entropy posted:

On the other hand...

(Blinded By Light is also really good yeah, it's way more listenable as an individual track than most other standard FF battle songs)

That motif they used for XIII is quite beautiful. It's one reason why Serah's Theme and the SunletH Waterscape and the track you posted are among my favorite songs in the OST.

Although I am glad to see some FFXII music love. It might not be the best soundtrack in the series but it has some amazing pieces.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Games › Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game has the best music in the series.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I will do the same for FF2.
Rebel Army Theme
Possibly the best Normal Battle theme in the series
Ancient Castle
Dungeon
And since people were talking about generic stuff, I'v ealways found this FF2 Boss Theme to be pretty unique.

That motif they used for XIII is quite beautiful. It's one reason why Serah's Theme and the SunletH Waterscape and the track you posted are among my favorite songs in the OST.

Although I am glad to see some FFXII music love. It might not be the best soundtrack in the series but it has some amazing pieces.

You forgot this one, which was significantly enhanced in the GBA version.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Games › Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game has the best music in the series.

I agree with this. I honestly think that each game's soundtrack is pretty good and accurately captures the feeling of that game. It's apples and oranges.

Okay, X-2 is on a lower tier compared to the other games in the series but even then it still had some cool tunes.

Fister Roboto posted:

You forgot this one, which was significantly enhanced in the GBA version.

I never heard that track actually. I made it all the way to the point where you get Leon back in your party but then I stopped and forgot about the game.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I love FFV for a lot of reasons, the soundtrack is one of them:
Four Valiant Hearts (first overworld theme)
The Four Warriors of Dawn is a song that goes really well with some of Galuf's badass moments in the game.
In Search of Light, the final dungeon theme. The airship theme from FF7 uses part of this.
And of course, Clash on the Big Bridge, Gilgamesh's theme which has been remixed many times. One of my favorite songs in the entire series.

Another favorite of mine is FF2's Rebel Army theme which was posted earlier, I'm really glad it was in Theatrhythm, even if it was as one of the dumb event mode songs.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cakeequals posted:

Seriously though, I really love the FFXIII-2 version of Battle on the Big Bridge.

Yes! :black101:

NikkolasKing posted:

My favourite from XII is the Salikawood's theme, which Tactics Advance 2 improved like a lot. The same could be said about every XII song that shows up in TA2, really. :eng101:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
That's all well and good, and I do love the music in pretty much all final fantasy games (SIX IS THE BEST!!) nothing compares to the opening theme from Chrono Cross. Absolutely nothing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've heard Chrono Cross' soundtrack was even better than Xenogears'. That's some very high praise and I need to see if it's true one of these days.

And I think Baten Kaitos has a better soundtrack than most FF games. There is not a single track in that game I don't absolutely love. I always heard about Mitsuda and Uematsu but it's a crime I heard so little about Sakuraba.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The only good Final Fantasy song is Crazy Chocobo, nothing else comes close.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard Chrono Cross' soundtrack was even better than Xenogears'. That's some very high praise and I need to see if it's true one of these days.

And I think Baten Kaitos has a better soundtrack than most FF games. There is not a single track in that game I don't absolutely love. I always heard about Mitsuda and Uematsu but it's a crime I heard so little about Sakuraba.

The gameplay is a little jumbled, and gets kind of long in the tooth by the time you get to the end, but I love the game nonetheless. I'm pretty hard on video game stories, but still thought it had a neat little plot, and yeah the music is just phenomenal. To be fair, I played it when it first came out, so I'm sure there's a good helping of "drat look at THAT" which seemed to happen with every new PSX rpg release.

Still though, I played through it again last year or so and it held up pretty well. Here's the opening video to give you a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo

The style never really lets up. It's worth playing, especially now that you can it for ten or whatever on the PSN and play it on the couch or the Vita. Actually I should probably grab it and do that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Chrono Cross is worth playing just for how goddamn good it looks and sounds. The story is kind of nonsense even if you're okay with what they did to connect it to Chrono Trigger but it's really aesthetically pleasing nonsense.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Honestly Final Fantasy VII's battle theme is the best in the series and one of the best tracks in the entire series. I know it's FF7 but gently caress you that song loving owns :colbert:

Also yeah if only Chrono Cross the game was half as good as its soundtrack, it would have been amazing.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Brother Entropy posted:

Chrono Cross is worth playing just for how goddamn good it looks and sounds. The story is kind of nonsense even if you're okay with what they did to connect it to Chrono Trigger but it's really aesthetically pleasing nonsense.

Unfortunately combat is unfun garbage, as is, like, any part of playing it that's not just going 'pretty graphics.......' Chrono Cross is a trash game for trash people.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Francois Kofko posted:

Unfortunately combat is unfun garbage, as is, like, any part of playing it that's not just going 'pretty graphics.......' Chrono Cross is a trash game for trash people.
Well, y'know, they were experimenting with a "refinement" of the XG system. Didn't really work out so well, though, because while Stamina wasn't hard to understand, it was really easy to gently caress yourself and because of how invisible it was on the HUD, it really wasn't pick-up-and-play. Plus hard level caps always suck.

I'd love to get another game where Uemtasu and Mitsuda work together again, though maybe under better circumstances than CT.

Fungah! posted:

Now that being said, the game's still just jaw-droppingly gorgeous, especially for a PSX game, and the soundtrack is unbelievably excellent. If that's enough to get you through the game, NikkolasKing, then more power to you. Just don't expect a lot else out of it.
Just pretend that Arni is a colony of convicts who've been removed from the world for the good of society. The game won't make more sense, but at least it'll be funny how many story elements/keep-out-of-the-next-area devices in the game coincidentally work with this premise.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 14, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

Beat me to posting this. Game's got an awesome aesthetic, but it made a ton of just stupid mistakes. The enormous cast sucked because only like five or six of them get any effort spent on them beyond a bad accent, setting elements sucked once you were more than halfway through the game, even with auto-assign, the combat is slow and not very interesting, and the story starts off strong but transforms into a black hole of bullshit and nonsense about halfway through the game.

Now that being said, the game's still just jaw-droppingly gorgeous, especially for a PSX game, and the soundtrack is unbelievably excellent. If that's enough to get you through the game, NikkolasKing, then more power to you. Just don't expect a lot else out of it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Well, y'know, they were experimenting with a "refinement" of the XG system. Didn't really work out so well, though, because while Stamina wasn't hard to understand, it was really easy to gently caress yourself and because of how invisible it was on the HUD, it really wasn't pick-up-and-play.

Its a blue bar on the bottom of a character's status square, how do you miss that? There's also a number right below it as well. You just have to remember to Defend before using a big spell to regain your Stamina, then you won't be helpless for a couple turns while its negative.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Fungah! posted:

Beat me to posting this. Game's got an awesome aesthetic, but it made a ton of just stupid mistakes. The enormous cast sucked because only like five or six of them get any effort spent on them beyond a bad accent, setting elements sucked once you were more than halfway through the game, even with auto-assign, the combat is slow and not very interesting, and the story starts off strong but transforms into a black hole of bullshit and nonsense about halfway through the game.

For what it's worth - I can barely ever play games where the gameplay isn't spot on. No amount of aesthetics or cool story or music or anything else can get me to play a game where I don't like the mechanics.

I don't particularly LIKE the gameplay of Chrono Cross, but I don't think it's so terrible that it drags the game down in the same way that, like, Planescape:Torment's gameplay dragged that one down. The bizarre, surreal, dream-like atmosphere and incredible music are so so so good for me that they totally outrank the lackluster game part.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mill Village posted:

Its a blue bar on the bottom of a character's status square, how do you miss that? There's also a number right below it as well.

Mostly because it's almost never blue (or even yellow or red on account of being empty 99% of the time), and because the Stamina value's font point is even smaller than the characters' names. In terms of visual design for how important it is, it sure gets minimal screen real estate. I honestly didn't even notice it myself until I'd had the game for like four years and tried replaying it to hopefully finish it that time (I did, much to my own disappointment). The system even seems to encourage doing huge combos--especially because of the accuracy mechanic and the actually arcane Field Type--and not once does it tell you that "oh hey you're gonna have -6.0 stamina after doing this" or even make it very clear where it indicates why stamina regenerates faster or slower for characters (a static value unique to each individual that can only be found on the Status screen).

I mean it's not a hard game and you can fake it pretty deftly like I did as a kid, but god drat it's bad at explaining itself and you're often left wondering, "gee, why haven't I gotten a turn in like three rounds?"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 14, 2013

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yeah, the game doesn't bother to explain that part of the game, and its not something to really worry about early on, but it does help a lot once you get about halfway through the game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
SE is still trying to make Versus a thing, apparently.

Final Fantasy "We-are-going-to-drag-this-out-forever" Versus.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
They're intentionally leaving out the end bit of the title. It's actually Final Fantasy Versus Duke Nukem Forever for the Vaporware World Record. But if they're still around in fifteen years, I'm sure you'll get it then.

I bet they'll still be making Fabula Nova Crystallis-series titles, too!

v It sure works for Kingdom Hearts :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 14, 2013

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

They're intentionally leaving out the end bit of the title. It's actually Final Fantasy Versus Duke Nukem Forever for the Vaporware World Record. But if they're still around in fifteen years, I'm sure you'll get it then.

I bet they'll still be making Fabula Nova Crystallis-series titles, too!

Of course they will! After all, the Ivalice and World of Mana ventures have paid off so well, which is why we're still getting games from both to this day.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Come on SE, it's 2013, what better year than this one to finally release the drat game? :negative:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Mega64 posted:

I will argue to the death that I agree with you. Even if I don't like every song in FF3's soundtrack, I'll say it's all pretty memorable and sets the mood very well. Easily one of the best NES soundtracks.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'll counter this by saying a lot of that 415k they raised for cancer research came from other unattractive weirdo nerds (y'know, the kind of people who'd watch a five day videogame marathon) and being on-camera and having names and faces and personalities even if you think they're gross or dorky or whatever probably helped them raise more money than a faceless videogame window would've. People kept giving shout-outs or asking one of them to do a funny thing or whatever along with their donation note. People like to interact with people, even nerds they don't know.

I mean, I urge anyone who thinks they did it wrong to organize their own charitable videogame marathon. It's not like having another one could hurt.

EDIT: Basically what I'm saying is it benefitted the donation side and the nearly half-a-million dollars in charitable donations is what's important, not doing a high-quality let's play you loving dorks

You put it better here than I ever could've. I mean, look at BlueGlass, he almost ended up becoming the 'face' for the marathon despite, and kinda due to, his goofy appearance, silly laugh, and goony appearance. I bet if you tallied up all the cash just attributed to him, either in shoutouts, or asking him to do something, say something, or assign money to a given goal, he himself pulled in at least $10k. And he comes off as a really cool guy to be around, and that's really what a lot of it is about, a lot of these guys are pretty fun, and seeing them having fun is pretty fun in itself.

And more on topic, every year that passes, the less and less I believe that Versus will ever come out. What was the most recent actual thing we've seen from it? That trailer from a few years ago that barely had more than the original trailer? I'm thinking they've just got one guy on it doing random poo poo just so they can say they're "working on it" still. :smith:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Krad posted:

Come on SE, it's 2013, what better year than this one to finally release the drat game? :negative:

At this point they may as well just wait for the PS4 to come out...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

S-Alpha posted:

What was the most recent actual thing we've seen from it? That trailer from a few years ago that barely had more than the original trailer? I'm thinking they've just got one guy on it doing random poo poo just so they can say they're "working on it" still. :smith:

Some screenshots from 2011, I think. Whoopee. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

Mostly because it's almost never blue (or even yellow or red on account of being empty 99% of the time), and because the Stamina value's font point is even smaller than the characters' names. In terms of visual design for how important it is, it sure gets minimal screen real estate. I honestly didn't even notice it myself until I'd had the game for like four years and tried replaying it to hopefully finish it that time (I did, much to my own disappointment). The system even seems to encourage doing huge combos--especially because of the accuracy mechanic and the actually arcane Field Type--and not once does it tell you that "oh hey you're gonna have -6.0 stamina after doing this" or even make it very clear where it indicates why stamina regenerates faster or slower for characters (a static value unique to each individual that can only be found on the Status screen).

I mean it's not a hard game and you can fake it pretty deftly like I did as a kid, but god drat it's bad at explaining itself and you're often left wondering, "gee, why haven't I gotten a turn in like three rounds?"

I dunno, when stamina is one of only a few values shown for each character on the battle screen, it's not a big stretch to expect you to figure out what it does, especially when the game offers you tutorials.

Also, as long as you're not using the few slow-rear end characters (as in, characters with less than 1.0 stamina recovery rate), there is virtually no downside to burning 6 of your 7 stamina points on physical attacks, then using a spell (taking you down to -6). Why? Because with 3 characters using their full stamina gauge, each character should regain at least 14 stamina by the time it's their turn again- meaning they will have full stamina. Every character, every round, I had every character go down to -6, and I always had full stamina by the next turn as long as no one had a status effect loving up stamina (where were very, very rare).

CC did a lot of good things- visible enemies on the battlefield (which was still rare, years after Chrono Trigger), it got rid of MP while keeping magic and physicals different and preventing you from just spamming your strongest attacks endlessly, it had automatic healing after battle, and the "horrible level caps" meant there was no point in grinding. Grinding is dumb and terrible and it's slowed RPGs down forever. The CC system allowed them to arrange battles based on your ungrindable levels, keeping things interesting. Also, it had the elemental fields which could largely be ignored, but which could make a big difference in close battles.

The music was great, the visuals were awesome, and the battle system really isn't as bad as many make it out to be. The story was a bit of a mess, though...