Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I picked up Mighty Switch Force while it's on sale and it's pretty neat. Not the type of thing you buy a new console for, but I like it. Has that portable system feel to it, but the 100% 2D visuals look fantastic in HD. Seems like the perfect type of game to throw on the game pad if the TV is occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it looks great. Wish you could turn off voices though, or at least the death animation scream.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Played the ZombiU demo and it's definitely really really eerie. I got as far as the EMP zombie, and it was really engaging.

I wish the melee system were a bit deeper though, I can see the cricket bat getting old really fast even though I only killed like four or five things. It would benefit greatly from something like Dead Island's/Condemned 2's "pick up whatever's handy and experiment" melee combat. I even saw some poles and bricks I would've LOVED to pick up and wham zombies with.

Being survival horror doesn't mean the little combat there is needs to be boring.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 11, 2013

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I'm guessing part of the problem is that Nintendo has a very Japanese mindset, and as I understand it, having a large entertainment room is an unusual thing in space-crowded Japan? I might just be speaking out of complete cultural ignorance, though.

Which is my problem and why I game on a monitor and output audio to an OK set of computer speakers (so no surround won't bother me, and it can't be optical anyway). As far as I can see this would almost have to be an intentional thing on their part because both the 360 (with help from breaking off the case on the stock component cables so it fits over the HDMI cable) and the PS3 (with no modifications or add ons) can do it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm talking out of my rear end here, as I don't know how the tech works exactly, but HDMI cables can get pretty hot at the ends sometimes and the Wii U is tightly packed for space, so maybe it's an overheating thing? I hope not, since software fixes to that might not be possible, but maybe it's just a failsafe? Or an idiot-proofing mechanism (more likely)? Because it's the sort of thing that seems like it would have to be intentional.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Played the ZombiU demo and it's definitely really really eerie. I got as far as the EMP zombie, and it was really engaging.

I wish the melee system were a bit deeper though, I can see the cricket bat getting old really fast even though I only killed like four or five things. It would benefit greatly from something like Dead Island's/Condemned 2's "pick up whatever's handy and experiment" melee combat. I even saw some poles and bricks I would've LOVED to pick up and wham zombies with.

Being survival horror doesn't mean the little combat there is needs to be boring.

That is definitely a reasonable complaint about the game, but considering remember it is a launch title. Ubisoft did a fantastic job making a brand new game on a brand new console in a genre on life support. It definitely suffers from some launch title woes unfortunately, but good overall. I hope that a sequel improves the melee combat a little bit, or at least freshens it up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Seems like it got lost but I'll ask again. If I buy an external hard drive for my Wii-U, will it only be useable for the Wii-U or will I be able to buy say a 1TB or 2TB hard drive and use it for PC stuff and whenever I want to play Wii-U games, just plug it back in?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It can only be used for the WiiU once it gets formatted. Someone will probably cook up a way around this but until then, you don't want to get an omega huge EHDD for the WiiU.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

It can only be used for the WiiU once it gets formatted. Someone will probably cook up a way around this but until then, you don't want to get an omega huge EHDD for the WiiU.

Ah okay good, I'll probably just buy the 320GB my friend is selling then.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

Does it do this by device or by partition?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

theflyingorc posted:

I dont know the technical stuff involved, but I notice the options menu only has a single button for "USB Device" so I doubt it's partition.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Gutcruncher posted:

I dont know the technical stuff involved, but I notice the options menu only has a single button for "USB Device" so I doubt it's partition.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to maybe format the first partition to whatever standard the WiiU uses and have it recognize it while still maintaining a second. I'd say it's very unlikely that the WiiU itself would support this, but someone might be able to write a PC application to do this.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

theflyingorc posted:

I asked this a while back and never got an answer, so I'm thinking it just flashes the whole device regardless of partitions.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

The wii required hdds to be formatted to WBFS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBFS (wii backup file system) and I assume the wii u uses the same thing. You could try partitioning it but I would bet it just overwrites everything and repartitions it as one disk.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ascii genitals posted:

The wii required hdds to be formatted to WBFS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBFS (wii backup file system) and I assume the wii u uses the same thing. You could try partitioning it but I would bet it just overwrites everything and repartitions it as one disk.

WBFS stopped being a requirement years ago.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

ascii genitals posted:

WBFS was a standard created by the homebrew community and was never used by any official Nintendo product. I seriously, seriously doubt that Nintendo would have used that.

It would be like assuming that of course the PS3 is using the formatting standard that hackers created for HDLoader on PS2.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 11, 2013

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
Just got Assassin's Creed 3 as late gift, but sadly I already own it from the eShop. I'll probably trade it in for something else, maybe ZombiU. Any other suggestions?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rothgil posted:

Just got Assassin's Creed 3 as late gift, but sadly I already own it from the eShop. I'll probably trade it in for something else, maybe ZombiU. Any other suggestions?

Sonic All-Stars, Super Mario U and Rayman are your best bets probably.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd actually go with Zombi U over those personally. I love that game. I merely like Mario and Sonic.

greatn fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 12, 2013

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Louisgod posted:

Had a fun experience last night. My 9 month old hasn't been sleeping well lately due to teething so she's been sleeping in our bed, which means we have to have one of us with her in case she flops off the bed. I let my wife have the gamepad while we played Nintendoland and I took over the TV and it was actually a lot of fun trying to work together without talking. I think I better understand what Nintendo's shooting for with the WiiU now.

did you just make a nintendo is for baby joke?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

AxeManiac posted:

did you just make a nintendo is for baby joke?

More like Nintendo is because of baby joke.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I finally got a a chance to play the competitive Nintendoland games with 4 players last night. They are all a ton of fun.

-Mario Chase is by far the best game I think, as it was the easiest to play and the most fair with all the players. It was especially fun seeing the paths taken at the end and see how close we were.
-Ghost Mansion was alright, though the ghost hunters never won a single game. It was fun, but just seemed too difficult to win. Maybe we don't have a strategy down, but it just seemed like no matter what we did the ghost just had such a huge advantage.
-Animal Crossing was weird at first, but one we figured out a strategy it was fun. Some inexperienced players had difficulty controlling the two characters on the game pad. But overall it was enjoyable. Once we figured out a good strategy, it became more of a challenge for the gatekeeper. Basically we figured out we should go shake all the candies down first, then separate and collect them all.

It was disappointing that the less experienced players found Metroid Blast too complicated for controlls. Zelda then felt too easy in comparison ("so all I do is just waggle the controller?).

One random question is... is there any way at all to just transfer Miis from the Wii U to the Wii Mode? Everybody had created Mii's on the Wii U, and then were disappointed they couldn't take them into Wii Party when we played that on the same console. I don't care if it takes some work, I've transferred all the relevant ones from my Wii to my 3DS to my Wii U, but how the heck do I get them from the Wii U into the Wii emulation mode?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ghost mansion with two players is as easy as the hunter sticking around the dead-ends and retreating to them whenever they sense the ghost is near.

With multiple people, just stick together and the hunters are unbeatable. The ghost's primary challenge is keeping everyone from meeting up, once they do it's pretty much over for the ghost.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Ghost mansion with two players is as easy as the hunter sticking around the dead-ends and retreating to them whenever they sense the ghost is near.

With multiple people, just stick together and the hunters are unbeatable. The ghost's primary challenge is keeping everyone from meeting up, once they do it's pretty much over for the ghost.

If all the hunters are together use ghost magic and eat them all :getin:

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Astro7x posted:

One random question is... is there any way at all to just transfer Miis from the Wii U to the Wii Mode? Everybody had created Mii's on the Wii U, and then were disappointed they couldn't take them into Wii Party when we played that on the same console. I don't care if it takes some work, I've transferred all the relevant ones from my Wii to my 3DS to my Wii U, but how the heck do I get them from the Wii U into the Wii emulation mode?

Sorry, you can't, only from Wii to Wii U. They added new features for 3DS/Wii U Miis, and I guess backward compatibility wasn't high on their list.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Downloaded the Rayman demo today, what a gorgeous looking game. I also couldn't stop grinning like an idiot during the Castle Rock section.

Miiverse is fun just because it allows me to do stupid drawings like "Olimar's coming!" :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I got survivor of the day in normal mode for Zombie U :shobon:

Mr. Kennedy
May 24, 2003

I weigh in tonight at an astonishing 242 lbs. From Green Bay Wisconsin, MISTER KENNEDY!!!!!!! KENNEDY...
i picked this up about a week or two after launch and so far am not impressed.

I checked gamespots website and please tell me i am wrong in seeing that there are only two new games coming out between now and 2/23?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr. Kennedy posted:

i picked this up about a week or two after launch and so far am not impressed.

I checked gamespots website and please tell me i am wrong in seeing that there are only two new games coming out between now and 2/23?

This your first console launch? It's always like this hell Wii U has way more launch titles then the average system.

Mr. Kennedy
May 24, 2003

I weigh in tonight at an astonishing 242 lbs. From Green Bay Wisconsin, MISTER KENNEDY!!!!!!! KENNEDY...

socialsecurity posted:

This your first console launch? It's always like this hell Wii U has way more launch titles then the average system.

No i understand, but half of those have been out for months on other consoles and i cant remember the 360 or ps3 going a full month without releasing any games or ports for their system. Im not trying to bash the system cause i really think it had potential, but a month without anything new? That doesnt sound right at all.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Mr. Kennedy posted:

No i understand, but half of those have been out for months on other consoles and i cant remember the 360 or ps3 going a full month without releasing any games or ports for their system. Im not trying to bash the system cause i really think it had potential, but a month without anything new? That doesnt sound right at all.

This is how it goes pretty much every year after the holiday season. There are a few big launches, like Starcraft, Sly 4 and BioShock Infinite, but when it comes to the Wii U I have a feeling it won't get huge killer app launches until May. And it definitely was that way with the PS3/360, do you remember the 360 launch? Do you want to play Perfect Dark or Tony Hawk? That was about it.

Also, look at http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/wii-u, there's still a lot of 'Q1 2013' yet to announce, plus a couple of january titles and several february ones before your quoted 2/23. I'm personally looking forward quite a bit to Lego City & Rayman Legends.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr. Kennedy posted:

Check out the PS3 launch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games
came out November 06 with less games most of the games it did have were crappy PS2 ports, then 3 games in December, 1 in January, 2 in Feburary. A bunch of people consider the first true AAA release to be on March 20th when Oblivion and Armored Core came out.
Wii U launched with nearly 3 times as many games, then 8 in December, only 1 for January, then 2-3 for Feb and 4-5 for March maybe you never know in this industry.

Sorry to sperg a bit but this gets brought up all the time and I wanted people to just see the actual facts so people stop thinking that this release is somehow slower or worse because Nintendo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Monster Hunter, son. It's all about Monster Hunter.

2 MONTHS TO GO! WOO! GONNA HUNT SOME MONSTERS YEAH!

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Mr. Kennedy posted:

The key phrase there is "I can't remember".

According to this, there was only a single game released on Xbox 360 between Novemeber 21st and February 14th in North America:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games

This is what console launches are like, combined with the usual post-xmas games drought.

[EDIT] e:f;b

Balcony fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 14, 2013

Mr. Kennedy
May 24, 2003

VarrosAnon posted:

This is how it goes pretty much every year after the holiday season. There are a few big launches, like Starcraft, Sly 4 and BioShock Infinite, but when it comes to the Wii U I have a feeling it won't get huge killer app launches until May. And it definitely was that way with the PS3/360, do you remember the 360 launch? Do you want to play Perfect Dark or Tony Hawk? That was about it.

Also, look at http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/wii-u, there's still a lot of 'Q1 2013' yet to announce, plus a couple of january titles and several february ones before your quoted 2/23. I'm personally looking forward quite a bit to Lego City & Rayman Legends.

Ya i guess that is true. I just went off gamespots release title and there were only two games in that time period as launches. The cave and runner two at the end of Jan. I dont know how active they are in updates or how much time is needed for a publisher to solidify a date. Raymans was after the date i listed,along with a spiderman port and apparently a ds game port in early march. After that, theres nothing listed for april really and lego city in late march. I just cant remember a time with the 360 or ps3 where it seemed so little coming out over 2-3 months.

EDIT: Wow, i looked at what was posted about prior launches and i really cant believe it was that way. I thought the launches had more around this time and didnt have that long of stretches without anything that seemed that interesting. I am wrong and i apologize for that. I think its just chalked up to there being really nothing i want or havent beaten/played enough to warrant a new full price purchase at this time. I think just having the system be idle and sit on my shelf all this time while i play other games on the 360 or ps3 right now has, not jaded me, but made me view it differently.

Mr. Kennedy fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 14, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Policenaut posted:

Monster Hunter, son. It's all about Monster Hunter.

2 MONTHS TO GO! WOO! GONNA HUNT SOME MONSTERS YEAH!

You and me both, counting down the days.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I really can't wait until they have virtual console games that can be played on the gamepad. (It would be really awesome if Rogue Leader was one of the first gamecube vc releases.)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I really can't wait until they have virtual console games that can be played on the gamepad. (It would be really awesome if Rogue Leader was one of the first gamecube vc releases.)

If there is a gamecube VC.

Please let there be one.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
My WiiU will no longer connect to the Internet. After having to type in the IP and everything it will connect to the router but it is now incapable of connecting to the Internet. What the gently caress happened here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SyRauk posted:

My WiiU will no longer connect to the Internet. After having to type in the IP and everything it will connect to the router but it is now incapable of connecting to the Internet. What the gently caress happened here?

Are you sure it isn't a problem with the router or the internet service? Before we go and blame the WiiU we'll need more information.

• Locked thread