Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DefenderDT
Jul 2, 2010

What do you mean I'm not popular?

orenronen posted:

...gently caress!

The moment I entered my cottage, I collapsed on the bed.

...Why the gently caress is this happening?!

Oren, I'm curious, did the original script actually use the word 'gently caress' or was it the generic Japanese swear 'kuso'?

I've always considered kuso more a 'damnit!' or 'poo poo!' than an F-Bomb, and was wondering what the original was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Just like last time, the game-breaking strategy isn't "hide alone in your room", it's "stay in a big group in the place where the food is, only sending people away from the group in pairs, never letting more than one pair leave at a time.

That'd be ideal, but we see how well plans involving a group went with the last batch of students.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Suzuki Method posted:

Seriously, what is actually stopping this from happening. Why can't one just stay in their room all day other than when they eat and poop? It's not like it's even a windowless soul-sucking environment this time! There's a pretty ocean to look at! (And no one is going to break into your cottage, either, because destroying stuff is forbidden...)

E: Maybe the Gamer will start hoarding games in her room and just become a full-fledged unstable SHSL Hikkikomori.

I had to google search this term. Why couldn't you just say SHSL Shut-in? This kind of thing irritates the poo poo out of me

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I had to google search this term. Why couldn't you just say SHSL Shut-in? This kind of thing irritates the poo poo out of me

Because these are Japanese characters and the term hikikkomori isn't just a goony anime word? It's a really loving awful and well-known cultural phenomenon.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

QuarkJets posted:

While I generally sympathize with the not using Japanese words when there's a perfectly good English one, hikkikomori actually has a more specific meaning than just "shut-in." (Calling a hikkikomori a "shut-in" is like saying Ubergoon Yamada "likes anime.")

The term refers to people who are so overwhelmed by Japan's web of social responsibilities that they hide away from everyone. Typically they wind up staying in their rooms 24/7 and living off their parents. You can find people like that in most cultures, I imagine, but in Japan it's common enough to be considered a recognized problem.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Alien Arcana posted:

While I generally sympathize with the not using Japanese words when there's a perfectly good English one, hikkikomori actually has a more specific meaning than just "shut-in." (Calling a hikkikomori a "shut-in" is like saying Ubergoon Yamada "likes anime.")

The term refers to people who are so overwhelmed by Japan's web of social responsibilities that they hide away from everyone. Typically they wind up staying in their rooms 24/7 and living off their parents. You can find people like that in most cultures, I imagine, but in Japan it's common enough to be considered a recognized problem.

Staying in your room to avoid playing a murder game makes you a Super High School Level Shut-In, not a Hikkikomori. (Honestly, I really don't see the need for this loan word.)

If you guys are going to use terms like this, can you at least link a Wikipedia article like this? This thread is also for people who don't necessarily know anything about Japanese culture.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Suzuki Method posted:

Because these are Japanese characters and the term hikikkomori isn't just a goony anime word? It's a really loving awful and well-known cultural phenomenon.

I've never learned this term despite experiencing plenty of anime exposure and foreign culture in general, so that tells me that it's pretty much just a goony anime word. This reeks of "YOU CAN'T SAY 'COMRADE' YOU HAVE TO SAY 'NAKAMA'" to me.

You could at least translate it for the people who don't know what it is. That at least would have been better

Alien Arcana posted:

So what you're saying is that a hikikkomori is a Japanese shut-in. Because that's the only way that that word could be applied in this context.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 13, 2013

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

QuarkJets posted:

I've never learned this term despite experiencing plenty of anime exposure and foreign culture in general, so that tells me that it's pretty much just a goony anime word. This reeks of "YOU CAN'T SAY 'COMRADE' YOU HAVE TO SAY 'NAKAMA'" to me.

You could at least translate it for the people who don't know what it is. That at least would have been better

So what you're saying is that a hikikkomori is a Japanese shut-in.

More specifically, the hikikomori is a term for the epidemic of shut-ins stemming from the constant societal pressure on children to study their asses off every day of their lives. At the same time, the expectations that the Japanese have to themselves, such as having to always conform to society as a whole results in people being relatively easily broken when meeting with failure, for example academic. Adding to this, a lot of parents are fairly hands-off and don't interact all that much with their children, for example due to working fairly long hours. This keeps them from noticing that their children are getting more withdrawn, until we end up with people that literally don't leave the house for periods longer than half a year and more. Government reports say that there are around 700000 hikikomori in Japan, and that their average age is 31. They pretty generally stay inside living off their parents.

This was a lot of words to pretty much say "Yes, it's a shut-in, but an epidemic of shut-ins caused by Japanese society being so... Japanese."

And yes, this would mean that staying inside to avoid going to murder games would not make them hikikomori, just regular shut-ins.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I think 'shut-in' more describes a single person, though, while hikkomori is more of an epidemic in Japan. Very similar but not quite the same thing. Either would work alright for Dangan Ronpa, but Shut-In would be better as every other SHSL Title is in easily understood English.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are no rules against busting down locked doors, so regardless of your nationality locking yourself in doesn't do you much good. You could try all staying together all the time but you'd probably end up hating each other so much that open fighting would break out.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

QuarkJets posted:

So what you're saying is that a hikikkomori is a Japanese shut-in.

It's used as a technical term by the Japanese psychiatric community so in that sense it has a distinct usage. Whether or not it's a distinct phenomena from non-Japanese anxiety disorders or whether it's an "invented disorder" is a medical controversy that's not going to be resolved by goons arguing over anime games.

If you're not hanging around Japanese medical professionals, (whether legit researchers or sensationalists wanting to sell books about the phenomena), people who have been classified as hikkikomori (among whom there's definitely overlap with anime-obsessed nerds so you might hear it from them too), or high-school teachers who have a student who absolutely refuses to attend class under any circumstance, you're unlikely to hear it. Still, translating it would render it nonsensical or broaden it to encapsulate phenomena it's not meant to, so the rarer western literature on the phenomena leave it untranslated (like this).

You're absolutely right in that western anime fans abuse the word, though, and we're unlikely to have anything in reference to it in this game.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are no rules against busting down locked doors, so regardless of your nationality locking yourself in doesn't do you much good. You could try all staying together all the time but you'd probably end up hating each other so much that open fighting would break out.

This is an interesting point- were rules against breaking into locked rooms an initial rule or something Monobear added later last time?

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 13, 2013

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Falls Down Stairs posted:

This is an interesting point- were rules against breaking into locked rooms an initial rule or something Monobear added later last time?

They were definitely added later -- if I remember right, Monobear made the locked-door rule at the beginning of Chapter 4, when the top floor of the school was revealed (and, not coincidentally, several locked rooms that the Mastermind didn't want the students getting into). It wasn't really an issue before, or at least not an issue with school rules.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Please don't do this. We don't need to apply Japanese words like the anime fan communities do. "Shut-in" more than does the job, and this should honestly not even be something of value worth debating. You might as well start using the Japanese word for chair because the chairs in the game were designed by Japanese artists.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Jesus, I wish I just used 'shut-in' so this stupid derail didn't happen. I'm well aware that just hiding in a room during a murder game doesn't actually equate to the psychiatric qualifications of what a the-word-that-started-a-derail means, it was just an exaggeration. I refrained from going on a giant paragraph about how it is just short of an actual mental illness because I didn't want to be a SHSL Shitposter, but I guess someone went ahead and did that for me. Sorry, slowbeef.

The rules state that vandalism of property is prohibited. Surely breaking down a door or destroying a lock on a door counts? It's not their property.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

CrashScreen posted:

Please don't do this. We don't need to apply Japanese words like the anime fan communities do. "Shut-in" more than does the job, and this should honestly not even be something of value worth debating. You might as well start using the Japanese word for chair because the chairs in the game were designed by Japanese artists.
Seriously. These derails are right up there with "was that REALLY the original wording or did you choose to change this little insignificant detail?" on the "dumb as gently caress" scale.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Based on the protagonist's somewhat more human reaction to this insane situation (Naegi really went with the flow more than should be humanly possible, probably because being SHSL Hope he was as much archtype as character), it would be really interesting if midway through the game you could, if you picked the correct steps, choose to snap, kill someone, and try and get away with it as a secret secondary ending to whatever the primary ending of the game is.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Rules question: Monobear is now the "supervising teacher" for Rule 4, right? If so, does that mean Monomi, if she reappears, could tamper with both students and crime scenes? I'm less asking for a spoiler, as wondering if that is how the rule is to be understood.

Also, about destroying island facilities, does that mean a character can't break down their own door? I could see it being a way to blame someone else for a murder [Character A is locked in Character B's room, A breaks down the door without punishment or reprimand because it was their door].

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Suzuki Method posted:

The rules state that vandalism of property is prohibited. Surely breaking down a door or destroying a lock on a door counts? It's not their property.

That's true. Really, the integration of the Usami rules with Monobear's are probably the most significant change in ground rules for the present murder-game.

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Rules question: Monobear is now the "supervising teacher" for Rule 4, right? If so, does that mean Monomi, if she reappears, could tamper with both students and crime scenes? I'm less asking for a spoiler, as wondering if that is how the rule is to be understood.

Also, about destroying island facilities, does that mean a character can't break down their own door? I could see it being a way to blame someone else for a murder [Character A is locked in Character B's room, A breaks down the door without punishment or reprimand because it was their door].

I would guess these interpretive problems will probably be addressed during the story itself. All things considered, including what we know about DR1, interpretation and application of the rules are pretty important story elements, so I doubt it's something that can be addressed at all without spoilers.

As it is, the fact that Monobear didn't delete them and just appended his rules to them seems to be something of a Chekov's gun. It's certainly seems to be the case that there's an explicit restriction on what Monobear is allowed to do this time, unlike last time. Unless he takes the "supervisor" to strictly mean Monomi.

I got curious so I decided to put together the ground rules for game 1 next to the ground rules for game 2 for reference:

Dangan Ronpa 1 initial rules posted:

1. The students will live a communal lifestyle with no time limit inside the school walls.
2. The time between 10pm and 7am is called “Night Time”. During Night Time there are places that are forbidden to enter, so please take care.
3. Sleeping is only permitted in the personal rooms prepared for you in the dormitory area. Anyone intentionally falling asleep elsewhere will be punished.
4. You may investigate the school as you please. There are no special restrictions on your actions.
5. No violence is permitted against the school’s headmaster, Monobear. Destruction of the surveillance cameras is forbidden.
6. A “culprit” who kills a fellow student will graduate the school. However, they must not let any other student know they are the culprit.
7. Additional rules may be added by the school at any time.

The school trial rules were added after the first murder.

Dangan Ronpa 2 initial rules posted:

Usami rules:

Rule no. 1
Excess violence is forbidden on this island. Let's live peacefully and quietly together.

Rule no. 2
Let's gather "Hope Shards" by deepening our bonds with our friends.

Rule no. 3
Throwing garbage and damaging the environment is forbidden. Let's live in harmony with nature on this beautiful island.

Rule no. 4
The supervising teacher will not interfere directly with student activities, unless any rules are broken.

Monobear rules:

Rule no. 5
In the event of a murder in the student group, a school trial shall commence. Participation in the school trial will be mandatory.

Rule no. 6
During the school trial, students will attempt to identify the culprit. If the culprit is successfully identified, they shall be executed for their crime.

Rule no. 7
Failure to identify the culprit will be considered a violation of the school rules. In this event, all students except the culprit shall be executed.

Rule no. 8
A culprit who successfully hides their guilt shall be granted immunity, and shall be permitted to leave the island.

Rule no. 9
After three people or more first discover a dead body, a "body discovery announcement" shall be broadcast across the island.

Rule no. 10
It is strictly forbidden to damage any facilities on the island, including any monitors or surveillance cameras.

Rule no. 11
You may freely investigate the island. No special restrictions will be placed on your activities.

Warning
More rules may be added in the future, at the discretion of the school.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It strikes me that the new rules still have the 'Hope Shards' mechanic. Won't it be ironic if everyone kills each other until the remaining group has enough Hope Shards and Monobear is obligated to just let them go home?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Suzuki Method posted:

This is a fair point, but the rules also state that "A culprit who successfully hides their guilt shall be granted immunity". So I take that to mean you can litter or break things as long as you also murder somebody.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

This is a fair point, but the rules also state that "A culprit who successfully hides their guilt shall be granted immunity". So I take that to mean you can litter or break things as long as you also murder somebody.

It would be hilarious if somebody accidentally drops a candy wrapper or something and it blows away and then is subsequently like poo poo, now I gotta murder someone and get away with it or Monobear will execute me for rule-breaking.

Ratoslov posted:

It strikes me that the new rules still have the 'Hope Shards' mechanic. Won't it be ironic if everyone kills each other until the remaining group has enough Hope Shards and Monobear is obligated to just let them go home?

As orenronen pointed out, Monomi didn't have the foresight to incorporate directly into the rules the consquence of collecting all the hope shards. Welp.

Edit: another interesting point of divergence between the rule sets is that there's no categorical forbidding of violence against Monobear this time (would that be covered under rule 1?). We've already seen how he plans to deal with anyone who attacks him (monobeasts) but considering the don't-attack-the-headmaster thing was invoked at least a few times around last time it's a conspicuous absence. Something like setting a trap for him may technically be permissible under this rule set.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 14, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

Based on the protagonist's somewhat more human reaction to this insane situation (Naegi really went with the flow more than should be humanly possible, probably because being SHSL Hope he was as much archtype as character), it would be really interesting if midway through the game you could, if you picked the correct steps, choose to snap, kill someone, and try and get away with it as a secret secondary ending to whatever the primary ending of the game is.

Dude I'd totally want to try and murder someone. I don't think the first game ever showed us what a mass execution would look like. Say you failed the pick out the culprit on purpose. Would the floor open up from under everyone except the killer and you fall into a pit of spikes?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Dejablue posted:

Dude I'd totally want to try and murder someone. I don't think the first game ever showed us what a mass execution would look like. Say you failed the pick out the culprit on purpose. Would the floor open up from under everyone except the killer and you fall into a pit of spikes?

We are talking about Monobear here. He would not approve of such a mundune mean of execution. Maybe he would have use all the tailor-made executions simultanously?

Still, it would be interesting to play the game as a murder. The only other game I can think of with such a mechanism is the Hitman series and the Kindaichi Case Files game. Not that it is possible to do such a thing with this game's system, but one can hope.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

DefenderDT posted:

Oren, I'm curious, did the original script actually use the word 'gently caress' or was it the generic Japanese swear 'kuso'?

I've always considered kuso more a 'damnit!' or 'poo poo!' than an F-Bomb, and was wondering what the original was.

Japanese doesn't have a direct equivalent of "gently caress". It was "kuso", of course.

Curse words is one area where English is much more nuanced than Japanese. Usually, I have to translate the subtleties of a single Japanese word by using other, much more verbose means. Swearing is one rare area where I can condense a whole lot of verbal hints and character attitude into single words that just don't exist in the source language.

I translated another 'kuso' into 'poo poo' earlier this very update, but in this scene, I thought Hinata felt strongly enough for his western version to use the F word.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Ditocoaf posted:

Just like last time, the game-breaking strategy isn't "hide alone in your room", it's "stay in a big group in the place where the food is, only sending people away from the group in pairs, never letting more than one pair leave at a time.

Do you really want to live out the rest of your life like that?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Note: Continued directly from last time. Also, I lied when I said this is going to be the second half of this chapter. Turns out the chapter is so long, I had to cut off in the middle again.

The moment I saw those eyes, danger signals started flashing violently inside my brain. Every fiber in my body screamed at me to run away, but at the same time I was captured by the despair-inducing idea that resistance was futile. In the end, I just stood there, transfixed, unable to move.

“...Oh? Why are you ignoring me? Or maybe your default mode is being one of those mute characters?”

She had a smile on her face, but it was the wicked smile of a warrior looking down on a foolish weakling before they crush them.

“Ah! I got it!” - she suddenly raised her voice, and thrust her index finger straight at my forehead. “I know what you’re thinking! I know what you’ve been thinking ever since you saw me with my arms crossed! You’ve been thinking, ‘You know, I haven’t crossed my arms in quite a while! It must be my voluptuous bosom that’s keeping me from it’! How rude! Women who boast their boobs like that are the worst! By the way, did you know the current world obsession with boobs is nothing more than an illusion born out of no-good games and anime and variety shows? Ah, it’s so gross! Totally gross! Do you even know what kind of guys are obsessed with boobs? I’ll tell you! You know those airheaded girls who get pampered in their hometowns and then go out to the big city where they’re not popular anymore so they end up taking off their clothes for anyone who gives them the time of day? There are those virgin guys obsessed with that kind of girl who are also not the brightest bulbs in the shed and only have their impressive lower bodies going on for them! They are the ones endlessly obsessed with boobs! Changing the subject for a second, aren’t virgins the worst? If it wasn’t for the Virgin megastores there would be nothing good about them at all! Even then, that chain got shut down by the economy... and yet, it’s still a million times better than actual virgins! …...Um, what was I talking about? Oh, that’s right, the economy! We should start with the government policy --”

“Hey, wait a sec -- ouch!”

She was obviously saying far too much for someone making her first appearance, so I tried to stop her, but she just pushed her finger even deeper into my forehead, making my efforts ineffective.

“Wait, now I remember! We were talking about boob obsession! Y’know, I hate being pushy, but you should really drop that boob obsession of yours. Dropchez cet Obséssion, if you prefer en Français. If you don’t drop it, you’re going to get in trouble when you’re older. Do you get it? The larger they are the more they sag. Or maybe you’re one of them? Do you think you can win against the forces of gravity? Do you have superpowers? Should I expect Magneto to come scouting for you?”

“I said, wait a sec -- fugah!”

I tried being insistent, but this time she thrust her fingers straight into my mouth, making my efforts ineffective once more.

Firenzio por favor! ...Wait, that’s not it. What was it that you say when you want someone to be quiet? Oh, whatever. In any case, shut up and don’t interfere. I really love talking, you see. You should act like a good mute girl and just stay silent. It’s my turn now!”

“Fugu... Hafuhefu...”

“Ha ha! I don’t understand what you’re saying at all!”

Saliva started flowing out of my mouth, running through her finger and dropping in a thin thread into the ground.

She didn’t seem to mind at all, though, and instead said, “By the way, what’s your name, mute girl?”

“Fugahohe... Fuga --”

“Hey, hey”, she tilted her head, looking displeased. “Don’t mumble. Say your name properly. If you don’t answer within 3 seconds, I’m going to follow the 3 second rule and pull your tongue out.”

She wasn’t even done talking before she grabbed my tongue with her fingers. She had tremendous strength, and my tongue was held firmly in place as if gripped with a vice.

“Right! One! --”

She started the countdown -- wait, this isn’t a joke?! Every pore in my body suddenly opened, making me sweat profusely.

-- Wait, if my tongue is held down I can’t speak!

“Two! --”

Suddenly, I noticed the notebook I held in my hand. I pushed it out in front of her eyes with great excitement.

“Hmmm? Ryouko Otonashi, is it? But, I’m very sorry!”, she opened her mouth widely and flashed a demonic smile at me. “I told you to say your name, I never said anything about showing it to me!”

“......Hegah?!”

“Right, then. Your three seconds are over, so I’ll be taking your tongue now!”

“Ha...... Hagaaaaaafuguuuuuuu!!”

I tried resisting with every bit of strength left in my body, but her nails cruelly wedged into my tongue. Inside my mouth, the irony taste of blood mixed with that of my saliva, and rapidly drained away my fighting spirit. Her eyes, transfixed on mine, were overflowing with dark despair that seemed to squeeze what hope I had left straight out of me. At that moment, I finally came to accept that resistance was useless.

The last of my strength left my body, and my notebook slipped away from my hand. I let my body hang, and abandoned hope.

“.......Heh”

Suddenly, I heard a laughing voice.

“Heh... Aha... Ahahaha!”. With an ecstatic expression on her face, her cheeks painted red, she laughed a bizarre, mad, overwhelming laugh.

“AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

When that merciless, savage roar of laughter came to a stop, she finally removed her fingers from my mouth.

“Cough, cough! Cough!”

I coughed madly, spit mixed with blood spewing out of my mouth.

“Ha ha! LOL! Super-awesome! By the way, who’d ever want your tongue, anyway? What do you think I am, some kind of savage?”

“...Cough cough cough!”

“I bet you’re wondering why I’d do such an odd thing, don’t you? Well, to answer simply, I really wanted to see your face full of despair. Y’see, for me, this is the best kind of introduction you can give!”

I was still leaning forward, gasping for breath. She wiped her saliva-drenched hands on my back, and continued talking.

“By the way, I haven’t introduced myself yet, have I?”

I became even more nervous. I had a bad feeling about this. A very bad feeling. My intuition was telling me to stay far away from this girl. But, she didn’t stop. Instead, she proudly announced her name.

“My name is Laputa Tenkujo!”

“Laputa... Tenkuj --”

“Just kidding! It’s a joke, you see, a joke!”

Is this really the time for jokes?

“Ah! I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, ‘is this really the time for jokes?’, aren’t you?”

It was like she could read my mind.

“Jokes are amazing, aren’t they? It was Hirobumi Itou who said, ‘only a man who has a sense of humor can live in this world without growing mad’, you know. No, that was a lie. Hirobumi-chan never said that!”

I couldn’t think how to reply to that. Instead, I just waited for her to finally tell me her name. For real, this time.

“My name is Junko Enoshima. Under the guise of “Super High-school Level Fashion Girl”, I’m sometimes a charismatic amateur model for fashion magazines. At other times, I’m a charismatic -- oh, oh, oh, but that’s still a secret! I’m sorry!”

She stood in the light of the street lamp, stretching her figure like an actress under the spotlight.

Junko Enoshima.

My brain understood that I shouldn’t get involved with her, but my body acted on its own. Before I knew it, I picked up my notebook and wrote her name in it.

“......Oh? And what’s that you’re doing?”, Enoshima-san asked with a curious look on her face.

“Ah, um... That’s...”, I hesitated, not sure what I should say.

“Oh, c’mon! Don’t tell me you’re going to turn into mute-girl again and keep it a secret?!”. She puffed her cheeks as if she was a little girl trying to show her dissatisfaction. I couldn’t help but admire how effortlessly her face moved from one expression to the next.

“Mute characters have grown out of fashion, you know? Besides, conversation is an excellent communication tool for us humans, so not using it is kind of a waste, don’t you think?”

“T...This isn’t a conversion! You’ve just been spouting nonsense ever since --”

“You should address me by my proper name. Haven’t I just introduced myself?”, she chided me in a flat, threatening tone.

“Um... Enoshima-san, everything you’re saying is just nonse --”

“I don’t need the -san. I hate that kind of reserved politeness”.

“But, I just met you a few minutes ago...”

“Which makes us complete strangers? Ha ha, you’re totally wrong! I mean, we’re penpals, aren’t we?!”

“...Penpals?”

“You’ve read my letter, didn’t you? Isn’t that why you’re here?”

A letter? What letter is she talking about? I quickly checked my notebook, and soon remembered. And then, as soon as I did, I raised my voice in surprise.

“Eh? So, it was you who --?!”

“Yep! I’m the beautiful kidnapper who took your memories hostage, ha ha!”

Without showing any signs of embarrassment, but also not of putting on air, she ended her sentence with strange little laugh.

“B...But, why...?”

“Hey, you can’t just keep asking questions! Think for yourself!”

“U...Um, so I guess you really wanted to keep me and Matsuda-kun...”

“That has nothing to do with it!”

Even though I did my best to think of a reason, she rejected it in one swift threatening motion.

“Well, whatever. I just don’t feel like telling you yet!”. As she was speaking, Enoshima-san picked up the notebook that was still lying on the ground under a tree, ignored the liquid it was soaked in and shoved it into her cleavage.

“Heh heh heh. I’m sorry but I can’t return that to you yet. This event scene can’t proceed that far hey hey hey hey hey hey hey” - Enoshima-san suddenly opened her eyes wide in surprise. “Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?”, she turned her head from side to side, calling out as if she was mad. “It’s gone. Gone. Gone. Gone. Gone. Gone!”

“W...What’s gone?”, I asked timidly, confused by her sudden change.

“It’s gone! Gone! Isn’t that strange? Why is it gone? Why?!”, she paced around the circumference of the trees, repeating her cries like a broken record.

“I asked, what’s gone?!”, I finally decided to use a stronger tone, and then --

“Oh? Ah...”.

She finally turned her face back toward me... but it was an unexpected expressionless face. Then, she replied in a voice lacking any intonation, speaking as lightly as if she was discussing trivialities.

“The body. The body is gone. The body that was here isn’t here anymore.”

“Huh?”

“Oh, have you forgotten already? Honestly, even forgetfulness should have its limits. You saw that body yourself, didn’t you?”

A new question came into my head. “...Wait, how did you know I’m forgetful? Have I told you?”

“T...That doesn’t matter! Anyway, there was definitely a body here before!”, Enoshima-san raised her voice, brushing my question aside. “Please, believe me! There was a body here minutes ago! I killed him, so I’m sure of it!”

“......Huh?”

Before I knew it, my body stiffened.

“You see, I came at him from behind and hanged him in one go! I did it with those very slender arms! Then, he leaked a little. Honestly, old men like him should wear diapers, just in case. If they did, it would give me peace of mind even in days like this!”

“Huh?”

I felt as if a spell of confusion was cast on me. Enoshima-san, on the other hand, went on, gesticulating enthusiastically as she spoke.

“Tee-hee. To be frank, some of it got on my skirt, so I went to the bathroom to wash it off. But it seems in the time I was gone the body took off! It slipped away! Well, it’s my fault, really, getting scared from a little pee like that. That’s why, as punishment, I put that pee-drenched notebook under my shirt just now!”

“Huh?”

“I mean, I worked so hard so I could make an example out of him... Honestly, who could have done that?!”

“Huh?”

“Hey, you’ve been doing that for a while now. Are you trying to be one of those absent-minded characters that are always so popular?”

“Huh?”

“Or maybe you’re just a dummy?”

It was useless.

Thoughts I couldn’t even form into words ran around inside my head, causing a terrible, grating headache. I didn’t understand a thing. Is killing a person a thing someone can confess so readily?

“Ah, are you wondering how come I’ve confessed such a thing to you so readily?”, she hit the bullseye once more. “That should be obvious! I want you involved in this!”

“......Eh?”

A vague yet extraordinary anxiety unfolded over my entire body.

“M...Me, involved in this...? W...Wait a second! Why do I have to get involved in such a horrible thing!”

“Huh?”

“I’m asking... why do I have to get involved in such a horrible thing?!”

“Huh?”

“I...I said --”

“Don’t get so mad! You’re ruining your absent-minded character personality!”

“That’s not it! I --”

“In that case, let me ask you a question. Say you’re making instant ramen. You put boiling water in and then wait 3 minutes, right? But if someone comes and asks you ‘how come it’s 3 minutes?’, what’s going to be your answer? You can’t answer that, can you?”

My thoughts reached a state of unprecedented turmoil.

“W...What are you talking about?! Don’t change the --”

“I’m not changing the subject! It’s just the same!”, Enoshima-san counterattacked with a strong tone of voice. “That’s just how things are, so that’s why I’m doing it! There’s no further explanation! Ah, but, y’know, I’m not proud of it but I am an impatient person, so I often give up before the three minutes are up. People think I have a thing for hard noodles, but it’s actually because of this muuuuch deeper reason! Well, do you get it now?”

My cognition clattered and collapsed, and the inside of my brain completely turned into rubble. All that was left was a large number of question marks.

I don’t understand anything. That was the one and only answer I was certain of.

Attempting to understand other people perfectly is a futile activity unless you’re aiming for the Ubermensch olympics. I know that. But, nevertheless, her case was extraordinary. I shouldn’t have gotten involved with her from the very beginning, after all. But, it’s probably not too late yet! Before I get even more involved --

That’s right, I should run away!

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

orenronen posted:

Curse words is one area where English is much more nuanced than Japanese.

Yeah, that figures. :v:

And while everyone's talking about Hinata attempting to kill, I'm personally hoping for the opposite: that someone makes an (unsuccessful) attempt at his life. I always thought it was a little weird how Naegi made it out of the first game relatively unscathed despite being one of the three that solves every trial, but I just chalked it up to how he was good friends with everyone, meaning no one could bring themselves to directly kill him.

Hinata, on the other hand, doesn't seem as friendly and sociable, so that excuse wouldn't hold up this time around. It would be neat to see how his attitude, and maybe ours, would change to reflect that, particularly toward the would-be killer. An attempted murder in general would also add an interesting dynamic to the trial that would follow it.

edit: Oh hey, an update. Oh Junko, I never realized that I missed you.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 14, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
It seems Junko has a habit of breaking the fourth wall even before DR1. And what a nice :iceburn: against the otakus in Japan.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Thanqol posted:

Do you really want to live out the rest of your life like that?

On a Tropical island with a talented musician, an excellent chef, and no outstanding responsibilities?

Hakuna Matata my friend.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:stare: seems to be the most appropriate response to Junko's appearance and actions but that's pretty low quality on its own. Junko seems way more unstable than she did during the trial in the first game, though maybe the novel medium is allowing for her character to stretch out a little. I see her multiple personalities are still intact, as evidenced by her getting quiet and emotionless when she realized the body was gone.

I actually thought she was about to tear our Ryouko's tongue for a moment. It seems like something she would do.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wow, I guess the amount of the real Junko's personality that we got back in DR1 was quite an introduction to how crazy she really is, but we really had no idea, did we? This half chapter just confirms it all... :stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gensuki posted:

On a Tropical island with a talented musician, an excellent chef, and no outstanding responsibilities?

Hakuna Matata my friend.

Unless the swole as gently caress coach decides to enforce a STRICT training regime.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Junko is completely insane and very, very scary, even on the page.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Waffleman_ posted:

Unless the swole as gently caress coach decides to enforce a STRICT training regime.

This place keeps sounding better and better!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Waffleman_ posted:

Thing about intense exercise is that you learn to love it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Besides, with not much else to do all day and no internet, might as well spend some time getting SWOLE.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Apparently Togami's corpse-moving disorder had already begun manifesting during DR0.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Junko's rant at the beginning there reminded me so much of Monobear's random asides about [whatever] that "Mr. Monokuma's Lesson" popped into my head. If you have a chance, I recommend rereading the update with that playing. It really helps to accentuate Junko's special brand of Super High School Level Psychopath. :munch:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
My big question is whether we're going to get to see Monobear in DR0 or if Junko here is going to stand in for him the whole time.

Personally, I'm hoping that the novel is Monobear Begins and we see his origin.

edit: ^^^ That's really what got me thinking. The way she seems to think and behave normally seems exactly like those segments.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Junko is.... really annoying. She didn't bother me nearly as much in DR1 but here, wow. Just shut up already.

• Locked thread