Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

I know (hope not) that I'm going to be mocked for this, but what kinds of fun stuff can I do with a polarizing filter? I added this: http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-Super-...+polarizer+77mm to a photography wish list on Amazon a while ago and kind of forgot about it, and my parents purchased it for me this year. I've got step-up rings to adapt it to the lenses I have, I just..don't quite remember what I put it on the wish list for. I love taking nature photography if that helps at all.

Pol filters affect blue skies, for one thing. They can also be used to control reflections from e.g. water and glass (but not metal.)

Many LCD panels also emit strongly polarized light, so with the right angle on the polarizer you can turn a lit display completely black on the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

GobiasIndustries posted:

I know (hope not) that I'm going to be mocked for this, but what kinds of fun stuff can I do with a polarizing filter? I added this: http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-Super-...+polarizer+77mm to a photography wish list on Amazon a while ago and kind of forgot about it, and my parents purchased it for me this year. I've got step-up rings to adapt it to the lenses I have, I just..don't quite remember what I put it on the wish list for. I love taking nature photography if that helps at all.

You'll mostly get the most usage from getting bluer skies since you can adjust the polarizer to cut through hazy skies since you do nature/landscape photography. It also does all the other neat stuff nielsm says just above me.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone have a Tamron 17-50 Sony mount they are looking to sell?

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
I want to get into photography as a hobby. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Point and Shoot camera. Is this decent enough equipment to get into the hobby? I plan on taking pictures outdoors.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Alpha Lyrae posted:

I want to get into photography as a hobby. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Point and Shoot camera. Is this decent enough equipment to get into the hobby? I plan on taking pictures outdoors.

No, you want a Pentax ME Super.

But seriously, that looks like a very solid camera that shouldn't hold you back much. If anything pick up a copy of Understanding Exposure to read before you start looking at new gear, and then just go out and shoot and see what you enjoy shooting. Maybe shoot in RAW and download the trial for lightroom too.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

DoctaFun posted:

Anyone have a Tamron 17-50 Sony mount they are looking to sell?
There are very few Sony shooters here, so you may not have much luck. Keep an eye on Dyxum.

Edit - Good news - KEH has two in stock.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 6, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

GobiasIndustries posted:

In addition to the effects on skies and non-metallic reflective surfaces already mentioned, a good polarizer can help look into water. The surface of a body of water counts as a non-metallic reflector, and eliminating some of those reflections and glare lets you see what lurks beneath.

Also, just put it on a lens and go out and shoot already. You can see the effect looking through the viewfinder, point the camera at a thing and spin the filter, you'll see the sky change and things like car windows and puddles will look different.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't know if a polarizer can really be described as fun ;) ...but extremely helpful! If you shoot landscapes, keep it on pretty much all the time. It will darken the sky and really make the clouds stand out. It will enhance or reduce reflections off objects (depending on how you have it set). You'll see the biggest effect shooting water - especially shallow water at an oblique angle. By rotating the filter you'll either get a mirror reflection of the sky, or you'll be able to see right through the surface to whatever is below. It will even make a difference shooting deciduous trees and plants - making them look a lot bolder-colored by cutting down reflections of the leaves. It's probably the most all-around-helpful filter you can get.

Edit: so many people replied with this information already! I missed the last page of posts.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

I bought mine from a goon here and like 3 months after I bought it the zoom wheel broke, like they tend to do. He sent his amazon receipt over to me and I registered the warranty card under my own name. Called up Tamron and discussed the situation. They asked for his receipt, my paypal transaction, and the serial off the lens and I was able to get the zoom ring repaired on their dime.

Edit: took like 6 weeks though
Hm, worth a try then I suppose. I'm not sure I can convince them that the damage wasn't my fault since it was, but we'll see what they say.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Wasn't sure where to discuss this, but it's basically a magic adapter that makes lenses faster and wider on mirrorless cameras.

http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/

If it wasn't so expensive I would absolutely pick one up, but at $60, I will probably skip it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shmoogy posted:

Wasn't sure where to discuss this, but it's basically a magic adapter that makes lenses faster and wider on mirrorless cameras.

http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/

If it wasn't so expensive I would absolutely pick one up, but at $60, I will probably skip it.

I ... uh ... if $60 for an adapter that works miracles (apparently) then maybe this is the wrong field for you?

edit: which sounds dickish... just meant to say that in the photography world that seems pretty cheap.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Not really a miracle. The same size aperture on a shorter focal length lens will be a lower F stop. Adding glass (especially $60 glass) to the lens to do this probably decreases the actual amount of light being transmitted anyways. Remember F stop is just a calculated number that we use because it's the standard way of describing the aperture. I would want to see lab tested T stop values before I believed that it was really any "faster".

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

8th-samurai posted:

Not really a miracle. The same size aperture on a shorter focal length lens will be a lower F stop. Adding glass (especially $60 glass) to the lens to do this probably decreases the actual amount of light being transmitted anyways. Remember F stop is just a calculated number that we use because it's the standard way of describing the aperture. I would want to see lab tested T stop values before I believed that it was really any "faster".

Yeah I put the "apparently" in there just because it's a Philip Bloom article and it's got his requisite over dramatic tone.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I still think it's a cool adapter so that you don't end up with stupid long lenses when adapting for mirrorless cameras but it's too cheap for me to believe that it's anything but terrible.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Where are you guys seeing $60, I saw and still see $600

E: ah I see, I typod. It's $600 not $60.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Oh, that's probably okay then. Still doubtful with out independent testing but a lot more likely to not be the worst thing ever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shmoogy posted:

Where are you guys seeing $60, I saw and still see $600

E: ah I see, I typod. It's $600 not $60.

Oh. Well. That explains everything!

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
So it's like a reverse teleconverter.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Chalk me up as skeptical but hopeful.

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off
http://www.eoshd.com/content/9474/prototype-metabones-speed-booster-equipped-nex-7-vs-full-frame-5d-mark-iii

Some more sample shots posted. I'm personally pretty excited about it even though $600 is pretty pricey. I'd probably be willing to play around with the inevitable chinese versions that may eventually come out for under $100. People love adapting lenses on their mirrorless and now this lets them use the lenses at their 'intended' focal length along with an extra stop in aperture, which opens up a lot of wide angle options. Hell, imagine using this on a 35mm Summicron/Summilux. :swoon:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Speed Booster™, besides having a really dumb name, looks legit. It should be noted that the optics were designed by the same guy as this obscene $5k macro. Said macro lens has five calcium fluoride elements so it can work with ultraviolet light (as well as visible and infrared, of course).

It might look too good to be true—wider, faster, and sharper!?—but it's really not. There is no such thing as a free lunch. All it’s doing is scaling the image circle down from full‐frame to APS‐C. You have to be using a lens that is otherwise unnecessarily large for your format.

The aperture numbers look impressive, but that’s what happens when you concentrate the same amount of light in less area. If you do the calculations, you’ll find that the 35.5 mm f/1.0 lens the adapter gave you will result in exactly the same depth‐of‐field as the 50 mm f/1.4 lens you started with.

As for the exposure, if the sensors are of the same design and have the same pixel count, 100 ISO on the APC‐C sensor will be twice noisy as 100 ISO on the full‐frame sensor—each photosite is hit with half as many photons for the same aperture value. The fact that the lens is one stop faster exactly cancels that out.

For sharperness, when the entire image shrinks, so do its flaws. Of course, now the inferior edge performance can be seen again, and without the elements of the adapter mucking with the image, the full frame camera will get getter results.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 15, 2013

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Theoretically such an adapter could be made to give autofocus to manual focus lenses by moving the optics in the adapter back and forth to focus.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

The aperture numbers look impressive, but that’s what happens when you concentrate the same amount of light in less area. If you do the calculations, you’ll find that the 35.5 mm f/1.0 lens the adapter gave you will result in exactly the same depth‐of‐field as the 50 mm f/1.4 lens you started with.

This is a key point that a lot of people in the internet video blogosphere seem to be missing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

powderific posted:

This is a key point that a lot of people in the internet video blogosphere seem to be missing.

For a lot of users that doesn't matter. The fact that it's concentrating light and increasing the effective aperture will give an advantage in sports shooting and let you get away with lower ISOs in a lot of other places as well. It's not a cure-all but if it performs as well as it seems to it'll be a major boon to mirrorless crop cameras.

I want this, in a Pentax-1.7x-AF-style moving-element focuser, on an APS-C body with phase-detection-focus sensor a la the Fuji X200. That would basically destroy the advantage of full frame DSLRs in the low-end market.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Does anyone use these light bulbs? I need to replace the two I had for my light box asap and was wondering if there's an alternate people use that might be available at a place like home depot?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I got a speedbooster + gas saving device for your car Id like to sell you along with a device that turns stagnant water into unlimited power. These are devices the Government doesnt want you to know about. For $600bux...

I mean sure it might have its uses in the M4/3 world but isnt there wide options available in M4/3 for cheaper?

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off

Platystemon posted:

But this is literally what I and many others want. I have a full frame setup as well as my NEX and I'm always missing the control of DoF I get from my 5D2 + fast primes. I agree that the speed booster name sounds pretty stupid but it's a step closer to having a psuedo full frame mirrorless.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I want this, in a Pentax-1.7x-AF-style moving-element focuser, on an APS-C body with phase-detection-focus sensor a la the Fuji X200.

And I want a pony!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Polarize posted:

But this is literally what I and many others want. I have a full frame setup as well as my NEX and I'm always missing the control of DoF I get from my 5D2 + fast primes. I agree that the speed booster name sounds pretty stupid but it's a step closer to having a psuedo full frame mirrorless.

The reason I want one is that if it plays nice with infrared and I win the lottery, I could convert a mirrorless camera to IR and carry it along with my fullframe DSLR.

Let’s not kid ourselves, though: if there were a full‐frame mirrorless camera, it would be better because 1) $600 would cover the premium on the sensor 2) you wouldn’t have to carry around, mount, and unmount the SPEED BOOSTER, 3) there would be no SPEED BOOSTER‐induced optical aberrations, and 4) autofocus wouldn’t have all these caveats:

quote:

Requires lenses supporting distance information.

Autofocus is supported, with the following known limitations.

Autofocus speed is very slow and inadequate for most moving subjects. The autofocus speed is unfit for professional use for sure, and it would disappoint most enthusiasts.

Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus is disabled for older Canon lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus.

On NEX camera bodies in camcorder form factor (e.g. FS series), autofocus may be available only in photo mode but not in movie capture mode.

Continuous AF is not supported.

DMF mode (direct manual focus) is not supported.

For non-camcorder camera bodies (e.g. NEX-7), during movie capture, if the subject moves to a different distance, half-press the shutter release button to re-activate autofocus and lock onto the subject again. Since autofocus speed is slow, there may be visible disruption in the resulting footage.

The first two autofocus attempts are used to calibrate the lens and as a result may not lock successfully on the target. Half-press the shutter release button again and autofocus will lock successfully.

Autofocus may have difficultly locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens.

Autofocus accuracy depends heavily on the working condition of the lens. Lenses with hidden problems which may not be apparent on Canon DSLRs will lead to inaccurate and unreliable autofocus on Sony NEX. Typical problems of this kind that we have seen include an unsmooth/erratic autofocus mechanism (e.g. getting stuck intermittently at a certain focusing distance), a faulty/worn-out distance encoder or other faulty/worn-out internal sensors.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Musket posted:

I got a speedbooster + gas saving device for your car Id like to sell you along with a device that turns stagnant water into unlimited power. These are devices the Government doesnt want you to know about. For $600bux...

Concentrating and shaping light is a lie, Fresnel lenses are black magic, constant-aperture zoom lenses are large scale fraud...

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Isn't the fact that it's autofocusing at all a pretty big deal though?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I don't care about any depth of field benefits, I just want to be able to shoot at 6400 instead of 12800.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Beastruction posted:

So it's like a reverse teleconverter.

They are not uncommon for hobby astronomers. Usually referred to as "telecompressors", simply reducing the focal length and the rest follows. Since f-stop is focal length divided by aperture, well...

In fact, these have already been in use in camera optics, just built into the lenses (some of Olympus faster 4/3 zooms are just longer/slower zooms with elements that act as a telecompressor).

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 15, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the speed booster is going to be extremely useful for video shooters. It opens up a lot of possibilities (especially on the wide end) and the price is pretty reasonable in the video realm. If I shot on an S35 sensor I'd almost certainly pick one up.

Also, I didn't notice this before, but Bryan Caldwell designed the optics. He's got some serious lens design chops. Here's an article about the Costal Optics lens Metabones mentions in their press release: http://diglloyd.com/articles/CoastalOptics60f4/index.html

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Kinda want to reboot this thread too. Anyone feel like making an effort-OP and being part of forums history or somethingsomething?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here, have some magic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nikon included similar optics in their E‐series DSLRs at the turn of the century. Instead of saying it reduced the focal length by a factor of four and increased the aperture by four stops (which it did), they just pretended the sensor was rated ISO 800 instead of ISO 50.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
So I'm thinking about getting the Tamrom 17-50 for my D5100, but in the OP it says:

quote:

The lens to replace your lovely kit lens is the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Get the version without VC (Vibration Control), it has better optics.

Is there any elaboration on this? I would think the benefits of vibration reduction would outweigh the differences in optics, but I'm having a hard time finding a comparison or any one else bringing up this point. Not to second guess the OP, I'm just curious and want to know more. Can anyone weigh in on this?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

kahm posted:

So I'm thinking about getting the Tamrom 17-50 for my D5100, but in the OP it says:

Is there any elaboration on this? I would think the benefits of vibration reduction would outweigh the differences in optics, but I'm having a hard time finding a comparison or any one else bringing up this point. Not to second guess the OP, I'm just curious and want to know more. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Well there is also another issue. The VC version has quality control issues. A lot of people get bad eggs. Also in my experience with the lens, I've never really needed VC for it. 17mm is wide enough to use some pretty slow shutter speeds if you believe the whole Shutter Speed = focal length-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
General consensus is that it isn't worth the additional money for the VC.