Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

CandyCrazy posted:

And while everyone's talking about Hinata attempting to kill, I'm personally hoping for the opposite: that someone makes an (unsuccessful) attempt at his life. I always thought it was a little weird how Naegi made it out of the first game relatively unscathed despite being one of the three that solves every trial, but I just chalked it up to how he was good friends with everyone, meaning no one could bring themselves to directly kill him.

To be fair, Naegi not being targeted makes sense if you look at the actual murders in DR1. Maizono needed to have Naegi take the fall, so she couldn't kill him (although it would have worked out better for her if she'd have tried); Mondo's murder of Chihiro was a non-premeditated crime, and he never intended to kill anyone before he lost himself in the locker room; Celes needed a loyal patsy and a scapegoat the patsy was already angry at, neither of which were roles Naegi could have filled. (I suppose it's possible that Celes could have manipulated Yamada into killing Naegi instead, if Yamada wasn't already inclined to think the worst of Ishida, but it would have been more effort.) Also, technically Monoluchador/Junko does take a swing at Naegi in Chapter 5, and while that ends up being a part of the staged murder of Mukuro, I think she'd have been just as happy with a dead Naegi if it moved things along after the non-aggression pact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Wow, I guess the amount of the real Junko's personality that we got back in DR1 was quite an introduction to how crazy she really is, but we really had no idea, did we? This half chapter just confirms it all... :stare:

I'm pretty certain her sanity or lack thereof was made pretty clear in DR1.

At least it seems she hasn't changed personalities yet. Seemingly. Though I'm sure Ryouko will let us know if she starts to play with her hair.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Since this story takes place about 1-2 years before DR1, maybe Junko sounds even crazier than expected because she's even less mature.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Did you add in that Magento reference, or was that already in there? I have no idea how popular X-men is in Japan, so I'm curious.

Also, goddamn Junko :stare:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Did you add in that Magento reference, or was that already in there? I have no idea how popular X-men is in Japan, so I'm curious.

Considering almost every time if not all the time the random references were there in the source material, I'm not quite sure why everyone persists in asking a question along these lines every time it comes up.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Do you really think I'd leave something like Hirobumi Itou in and then change some other random reference into Magneto?

My policy regarding Zero is that I'm leaving this kind of specific cultural references untouched unless I have a very good reason to change them. It helps that it seems most of them will be lost even on the Japanese audience -- I'm not sure how much of the book's target audience can actually recall the aforementioned Itou from their history lessons, for example. In any case, I recommend anyone who cares to use Wikipedia.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
That whole update was like watching a normal person getting lost in the Dangan Ronpa thread and trying to make sense of the rambling madness within.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah that was definitely too much fourth-wall breaking. It loses its punch if you just kind of do it all the time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fanart - Prologue/Spoiler Free

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

This episode:
Heart-Thumping Field Trip BIG PANIC!
Guest Starring:
Francis York Morgan
and
Gordon Ramsay with Dwarfism!

Please forgive my Super Elementary School Level art.

alcharagia posted:

It's Makoto Naegi!'s hair is wonderful and I love it.

On a fanart note, a lurker friend of mine urged me to post this thing he made.

Ledundead posted:

Heyo, first post on SA, figured I'd make sure it was worth it. So here's some fanart!

Ledundead posted:

Rodyle posted:

Now draw Usami as FK.
Ask and ye shall recieve.

Ekusukariba posted:

Super Highschool Level Big Boned

Ledundead posted:

Patter Song posted:

Mr. Francis York Morgan.
While on the beaches the sun can feel nice,
Beware, for soon comes trouble in Paradise.
So says Mr. Stewart.

Well.
http://tindeck.com/listen/jffi

edit: You have no idea how annoying it was trying to find a tree in the right spot for Togami to lean against.
edit2+3: Forgot to give York his pink blush and hair detail.

SingerOfW posted:

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to RAISE ANIMALS!

SystemLogoff posted:

チョコボ黄金色?

とっとこチョコボ黄金色?

!

とっとこハム太郎黄金色!

I totally got that wrong, I bet.

Time Traveler posted:

Does this count as fanart

Dogbutt posted:

So I saw the new guy and suddenly felt compelled to draw this

Forgive my bad art :ohdear:

HelloWinter posted:

Upupu... Upupupu!

Skunkrocker posted:

Merry Christmas, you bastards! Look upon my gift and DESPAIR! Upupupupupupu!

So my good friend Tricia made this for me for Christmas. I love it! It's so awesome. She's really good with clay and I think at this point she's only going to get better with time.

HelloWinter posted:

So I just spent my entire holidays making this. It was worth it, it's incredibly cuddly.

I might make more if there's a high demand for it.

Estraven posted:

Today I drew art of my favorite character so far:

I can tell I'm going to like Nanami a lot, I just hope she sticks around for a while :ohdear: Her hair is so much fun to draw! I can't really tell what her hair clip is and I didn't want to risk spoilers by googling pictures of her, so I made it a little space invader friend.

Estraven posted:

I drew my favorite K-ON! character today

Ibuki is really fun and cute and I'm praying she sticks around for a long time! She's also a blast to draw, although after completing this picture I think her title must actually be Super High School Level Hair Stylist because drat GIRL

Here's hoping there's enough product for her on the island to stay looking fabulous :allears:

Nafleky posted:

One day, Dangan Ronpa 2 thread, I will not draw a sketchy head and will finish a drawing. I still wanna draw Teruteru and Akane because they're my other two favourite characters besides these four. Just being lazy and not finishing drawings!

Until that day though, messy sketches is what you get and you'll enjoy it.

Omniphile posted:

Bongo Bill posted:

Never say "can't" in the presence of Nekomaru Nidai unless you are prepared to learn why you should have said "can" instead.

I regret nothing!

SavageGentleman posted:

Buonamico Buffalmacco: The Triumph of Death, (c. 1338-39). A late medieval vision of Judgement day, featuring the battle between angels and demons for the souls of mankind.

let's zoom in:

AHA!

(sorry my crappy photoshop skills make it look like Hinata is loving this poo poo)

Seshoho Cian posted:

I made a gang tag that I feel accurately represents the posters in this thread.

(this is just a joke please don't get mad)

I am the M00N posted:

Oh drat! Monobear, Such attitude.

Yeeah, Dis-BEAR in da house, beeitches!

HelloWinter posted:

I also vote for Oren getting back a Monobear avatar. Please. :ohdear: Here you go!

I really hate the 30kb limit sometimes. Oh well.

Web-friendly version.

orenronen posted:

My Monobear collection is growing, with the latest (and largest!) addition courtesy of HelloWinter.

There will actually be more soon, as I just got the email today that the Monobear and Monomi papercraft models are on their way from Japan. Soon, Monobear will be staring at me wherever I turn in my apartment.

psychoticBacofoil posted:

While I'm no artist, I thought to make a little something for this thread. Presenting, the Monostamp! Just put some ink on it, stick it to some paper and BAM, instant despair! Then you can wash it off, and bring despair to paper everywhere again and again! It's also great for bringing a little Monobear to everything you write. (Excuse the poor quality, it was taken with my Vita's camera)

tiistai posted:

I drew a small simple thing and thought I might as well share it here.

HelloWinter posted:

A bit late for contributing, but here we go anyway:

Radian Angle posted:

I made something.

The working title was "Lime Popsicle" cause of his eyes.

Zyxyz posted:

Working on the Dangan Ronpa 2 class in Perler beads now. Here’s the first set, including Usami/Monomi/“the Monohare”. The limitations of the Perler color palette can be frustrating to work with, but at least these sprites require far less editing than the original class.

Zyxyz posted:

Here is my second set of DR2 Perler sprites. Thanks to Fantastisk for the incredibly helpful new non-walking sprite for Nidai.

a spooky ghost posted:

Actually making good on something I said I would do, I made an Fanart Thing:

It's essentially redundant in light of Zyxyz's Perler work earlier in the thread, but it beats 95% of the patterns that the craft places around here carry. It's also my first time doing one of these off a pattern I created (from the pixel art, obviously). I took a few liberties/shortcuts with the colors, but think most of my decisions worked out ok. I am still on the fence about just doing a single thread around the hair instead of the full stitch. Think of it as a test.

From here out, my plan is to do them in memory of the murdered characters. I did Nagito here as a test for old times sake. If he ever does bite it, maybe I'll redo him based on any feedback or from a different sprite or something. Hinata, Monobear, and Monomi I plan to do intermittently.

tiistai posted:

My plain black bag needed a redesign.

Made with rags, textile glue and shaky hands.

Zyxyz posted:

Presenting my third set of DR2 Perler sprites (previous sets here and here). The Perlers are starting to take over the house—any ideas on how to display 10-20 at a time?

Zyxyz posted:

At long last, presenting the final set of DR2 Perler sprites (previous sets here, here, and here). Thanks again to Fantastisk for the much-improved Togami sprite. The whole cast of both games took a while to hammer out, but now I can finally take a break (at least until the next game).

tiistai posted:

Sketching random stuff. This one is relevant here and it didn't turn out terrible, so yeah.

Nanomashoes posted:

Super High-School Level Stoner.
Apologies to tiistai.

Suzuki Method posted:

I drew Kuzuryuu today. Please go easy on me, this is the first time I've tried to draw anime since I was 8 years old. :v:

[You can click for big]

Lunar Suite posted:

Also, I'm like 100 pages late, but I just had to:

North of Gravity posted:

I did a quick doodle of Ibuki this morning. :blush:

tiistai posted:

I'll take a break from spamming the thread with fanart now, but have this clothing fold practice. I pretty much overdid it but whatever.

Alopex posted:

Speaking of obsessive fans with too much spare time on their hands, I made a Monohamster!

dragonsroar posted:

But anyway with something more constructive, now that I have an account, I hope I'm allowed to share SDR2 fanart that I've created! Here's a picture of Peko I doodled quickly last month:

theonlypie314SA posted:

Here's a sketch as a thanks to Oren, Fedule, and HelloWinter for their SHSL effort on this let's play and to add to the growing collection of fan art:

resized due to hugeness of picture

Large version

Jeek posted:

Zorak, in the PYF Ban/Probation thread posted:

Those of you who are have been around the block more than a few times probably know deep down that we prioritize and emphasize people putting effort, thought, humor, etc into contributions on the website. It's the core of what makes the site unique compared to a lot of other internet forums: our ideal is basically a legion of Everdraed clones making crazy unique and funny contributions every five minutes at each other, forever. People feeling the need to "disapprove" of humor they functionally don't get in a thread with too little in the way of interesting and valuable posts being made, especially when the humor is the kind centralized on the core of what Something Awful is, really is the sort of thing that tells us that desperate action is needed.
Thank you, Zorak, for your words have inspired me to make a thing:

It's not Everdraed quality but at least I tried. :shobon:

dragonsroar posted:

Also, a Gundam i drew today. he is seriously growing on me.

carnalHuntress posted:

Sorry to interrupt the discussion about the artist's anatomy, but I'd like to show a Komaeda my friend Nuzz drew for me!

The reason as to why he's in a turtleneck makes about as much sense as why he's wearing a jacket on a tropical island, I assure you.

KillerEggplant posted:

Not true. Mahiru's art there is actually quite well drawn by way of anatomy and proportions, especially compared to what you see in a lot of anime art:

KillerEggplant posted:

I think it's because the skirt is so high-waisted and short. It gives a somewhat misleading impression of where the hips are, and the hem falls right at the widest part of the thighs, so they end up looking pretty huge.

Kirigiri's DR0 image, on the other hand, is a botched attempt at forced perspective. Her torso is too long for the angle her legs are at, and her shoulders, arms, neck, and head are tilted too far forward to look right. Her shoulders are also rotated at an awkward angle from her hips - her torso and her legs are not facing the same way, though the pose suggests they should be. No excuses here.

KillerEggplant posted:

Can do! Togami and Fatogami are a really interesting comparison, actually.

Here's Togami in DR1. He's got anime prettyboy proportions: slender body, elongated arms and legs. Nobody is surprised. This isn't SHSL Accurate Anatomy, but he's a stylized stereotype.

Now here's Togami in DR2. He's gained a whole lot of weight - but as much as you can say that an anime-styled character is realistic, his weight gain is pretty realistic. The artist has paid attention to where fat deposits generally accumulate on the body, and thus Togami has gained a paunch, moobs, thicker arms, legs and neck, and a rounder face.

The artist has also been careful to keep the underlying body structure the same. Togami's skeletal structure, the length of his arms and legs, and the size of his hands and feet have remained the same. His position in the chair has had to change to accommodate his weight gain - he just can't keep his legs as close together or his arms as tight to his sides, because the fat is in the way - but all the basic, underlying structure has been kept consistent. It's a subtle way to make the point that this really is the same character - he just got fat.

For contrast, Hanamura, who has accurate anatomy for his body type, but has midget proportions, presumably because he's presented as a comic character.

On the whole, I'm inclined to say that this artist knows what they're doing and has a good grasp on anatomy and proportions, but they seem to have trouble with perspective and unusual angles from time to time. I'm impressed by the attention to detail in the designs.

KillerEggplant posted:

For all that Sakura appears to have some pretty wack poo poo going on, she, too, is relatively anatomically accurate. Her muscles are super-over-exaggerated, but since that's the point of her character, I'm ignoring that - if you look past the stylization going on in her art, the underlying anatomy is just fine. She just looks odd because she's totally swole.

Her pose is also exaggerated, but it's not actually impossible.She's flexible enough to do a complete split like that, and her training would let her do that crazy spin kick she's pulling off. The perspective in her art is well done as well.

KillerEggplant posted:

Sakura's leg does look odd, but I think it's within tolerances for the style and the action going on in the pose, since her hips and legs are both using twisting motions.

Yamada is indeed like Hanamura: goon for effect. The artist has taken fat-dude proportions and anatomy with Yamada and exaggerated it into caricature. He's also got that mouth thing going on. If I were trying to explain it with anatomical correctness, I'd say it was a cleft palate, but since Yamada was a big weirdo caricature, I'm more inclined to just state animes and leave it at that by way of explanation.

There is some wonkiness going on in Akane's art, though. Her torso, waist, and arms are okay, but her hips are set too high for the position of her legs, and her legs are too long, especially her right leg, even considering the stylization. In my opinion, anyway. Her head is also a little small, and I'm going to make an educated guess that the artist is male, because they don't seem to have a practical understanding of how boobs react to gravity and interact with the arms, the torso, and clothes.

Whether or not it's impossible to do gymnastics with a huge chest is an opinion call and I'm not going to opine on it, but I will state that she'd need one hell of a sports bra to contain those things so they didn't fly up and give her a black eye while she was whipping around like that.

I apologize for not making a Monobear anatomy sketch, but I am afraid that if I look too deep into the abyss, the abyss will look back into me. :colbert:

KillerEggplant posted:

Nidai is all about the muscle. He also falls under the "ridiculously swole" category, but is pretty accurately drawn for all that. His muscles and his fists are massively exaggerated, and his head and feet are stupidly tiny in comparison, but this is also a guy who shoots lightning out of his eyes because he's just that intense, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that the anatomical inaccuracies in his design are deliberately done for comic effect.

Peko's pose: Possible to achieve? Yes. Comfortable or practical? No. This pose, while anatomically just fine and technically possible to twist into, is all about the fanservice and very little about the actual swordplay. If it was meant to accentuate her capacity as a swordswoman, she would not be oddly twisted to the side, and she'd probably be using one hand to anchor the sheath of her sword so that she could pull it free. However, that wouldn't show off her legs or boobs nearly as well.

There are some things a little wrong with Nanami's art. Her torso is too short, and her legs are a bit spindly. I think that this is another case of the artist's problems with perspective. While nothing here is horrifyingly wrong or distorted, it's just off enough to look a bit funny. The pose seems to be chosen to suggest that she's kind of spacey and maybe somewhat vulnerable, with its open body language and distantly surprised look.

Mikan's head is kind of small, and her torso is longer than it should be, but the real problems here are with her legs. Her right leg is placed way too low to be properly connected to her hip, her legs are too long, and the musculature in both legs is sort of wobbly.

Kirigiri's art is pretty much okay until you get down to the calves and feet. Seriously, dude, boots are not an excuse not to draw feet correctly. I'm judging you, sir. Judging you.

Celes and Junko have leg problems, too. Painfully long legs with strange musculature and tiny, misshapen feet. Junko's torso and waist also don't connect correctly to her hips, and her hips and legs are huge compared to the rest of her body.

I'm noticing a pattern here: key characters and comic characters are well drawn and decently accurate, but the more fanservice-y or sexy a character is supposed to be, the sloppier the art seems to have gotten. That's a little uncomfortable, actually.

Mercury Hat posted:

*Translator's Note: Odanjyoubi omedatou means happy birthday.

tiistai posted:

Drew that a while ago. I was planning on sitting on it until the 24th, but eh, might as well post it now.

tallest crocodile posted:

Just so this isn't a completely contentless post, here's something I drew yesterday after finishing the first thread:

Joke's probably been made ten times over, but I'm not about to search through 700+ pages to find out.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I distinctly recall someone a while ago made a wonderful cake of the disembodied head of Monomi, which got the idea in my head to produce a partner cake to that and make one of Monobear himself.

(Photo taken with lovely iPhone camera, my apologies.)

Looking back at it, the Monomi cake looks a lot better than this, I'm pleased with this result regardless.

Suzuki Method posted:

I just wanted to share some fan art I drew of Ibuki today.

Pentaro posted:

A few pages ago someone linked an Achewood strip. Monobear's white half kinda looks like a character from that comic.

LordHippoman posted:

3rd group of SHSL Scribblenauts has been prepared for your enjoyment. You bastards.

Another one of the "Impossible hair" characters. So I went with something close. To make the cones on the sides of her head, I used party hats. Also, that guitar was a bitch to put on.

So, the problem with Peko was that I couldn't find a decent looking Scabbard. So she's just holding the sword.

Things I like: The Eyebrows, the BARE CHEST OF INTENSITY

Things I don't: The hair and the clothes. There just weren't any good matches.

Psych posted:

I doesn't have anything to do with what's going on in the story right now, but I made some Monobear fan art.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 23, 2013

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I know this was fairly tame, but I can't help but feel slightly disturbed at what is essentially a psychopath torturing a mentally ill person. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse but knowing everything so far, it probably will. I guess I just can't stomach this kind of thing. Feels kinda hypocritical after everything that happened in DR1, but I get the feeling the first-person narration is doing its job too well.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 14, 2013

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Junko was less breaking the fourth wall and more speaking in Tropes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Don't forget, though, Junko also really loves to gently caress with people. What's the best way to gently caress with someone who has massive memory-loss issues? Just inundate them with words and references and random bullshit until they don't know what's what. And it works, too!

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Trasson posted:

Considering almost every time if not all the time the random references were there in the source material, I'm not quite sure why everyone persists in asking a question along these lines every time it comes up.
You know how there's that one guy every nerd group has who knows all the stupid little changes from the original Japanese version of [insert video game/movie/anime/street sign here] and doesn't hesitate to let everyone know that he knows all these "inferior English" translation inconsistencies that even other nerds couldn't give any less of a gently caress about because they're all Japanese vs. English pop culture references and "that guy" is the only one who would even understand the original references thanks to his giant, obsessive nerd-boner for Japan?

Gotta be half of them at least.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Gotta be half of them at least.

Also, I haven't exactly been helping what with the whole thing where I wrote whole posts where I just made noise about changing things. An unfortunate side-effect.

Speaking of, there'll be one more of those before I go into quiet-mode (relatively) for the game proper.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Junko has a few heavy plot-relevant things in common with Monobear. She might as well be putting "you bastards" in parenthesis.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I found Junko's distaste for virgins very interesting considering her sister's devotion to chastity and what eventually became of her.

I wonder how that will play out, as well as how Ryouko plays into the grander plotline.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Fedule posted:

I'm not sure what you think "fourth wall breaking" is but it's not this.

The vast majority of goons in this thread are like Tropers but Less Accurate.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Kytrarewn posted:

I found Junko's distaste for virgins very interesting considering her sister's devotion to chastity and what eventually became of her.

Uh, we don't really know if that's actually the case for Mukuro, since she was pretending to be Junko, not to mention how it could be translated to how they act on the battlefield, considering her SHSL talent. Her 'devotion to chastity', that is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A question regarding Dangan Rompa Zero: is the reader supposed to know the plot to Dangan Rompa before reading the novel, or is it supposed to stand on its own? Or it doesn't make any difference either way?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mikl posted:

A question regarding Dangan Rompa Zero: is the reader supposed to know the plot to Dangan Rompa before reading the novel, or is it supposed to stand on its own? Or it doesn't make any difference either way?

Seeing as the plot to the game is spoiled in the very beginning, yes, I'm assuming you're supposed to know.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Mikl posted:

Well considering it spoils the Junko reveal I'd say it's meant to be read after playing the game.

Edit: What Waffleman_ said!

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

Fedule posted:

Also, I haven't exactly been helping what with the whole thing where I wrote whole posts where I just made noise about changing things. An unfortunate side-effect.
The big difference is that you're explaining things (which is interesting), rather than dropping references and expecting the rest of us to know what you're on about (which is not interesting and also really loving annoying).

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Fedule posted:

I'm not sure what you think "fourth wall breaking" is but it's not this. Monobear thanking you for buying Super Dangan Ronpa 2 (if only he knew...) is fourth wall breaking.

Plus, keep in mind that happened during Monobear Theater in which, at least in the first game, he directly talks to the player. I don't think the students actually ever see or are aware of Monobear Theater - it's specifically for us.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
If you ever feel the shakes of regret or self-consciousness creeping up on you, the best method of obviation is to say "....that's because I'm a bear".

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

slowbeef posted:

Plus, keep in mind that happened during Monobear Theater in which, at least in the first game, he directly talks to the player. I don't think the students actually ever see or are aware of Monobear Theater - it's specifically for us.

Yes, but as someone said this could be construed (in hindsight) as him talking to the supposed in-game TV audience. This was, as far as I can remember, the first time he actually spoke to the audience specifically as a group of people playing a video game.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Sophia posted:

Yes, but as someone said this could be construed (in hindsight) as him talking to the supposed in-game TV audience. This was, as far as I can remember, the first time he actually spoke to the audience specifically as a group of people playing a video game.

Just think it's a game show pay-per-view called Super Dangan Ronpa 2 where people bet on who will kill, die and survive, there done.

Also last game we had a trailer of another game on one of those, so why are people complaning about this now? Heck even the main game had 4th wall breaking stuff sometimes with Monobear and once with Hagakure, it's not like it was completly serious all the time so I don't see the big deal.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
Is it just me or does Sonia Nevermind's face look strikingly similar to Junko's face.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Valkama posted:

Is it just me or does Sonia Nevermind's face look strikingly similar to Junko's face.

It's not just you, though you could say it about nearly any of the feminine faces we've seen in this series thus far if you gave them lighter-colored hair. They can be pretty samey when compared to the out-there designs of the guys.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

HGH posted:

I know this was fairly tame, but I can't help but feel slightly disturbed at what is essentially a psychopath torturing a mentally ill person. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse but knowing everything so far, it probably will. I guess I just can't stomach this kind of thing. Feels kinda hypocritical after everything that happened in DR1, but I get the feeling the first-person narration is doing its job too well.

It's not just you -- I'm pretty disturbed by Junko's treatment of Ryouko, and in general Ryouko makes me really sad. (I considered making an effortpost about how sad it was that her entire life is built around being a high-school student, and yet her neurological problems make her incapable of conscious learning.) I assume it's intentional, though, since Junko is well-established as a psychotic antagonist.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
So, I'm just going to ask: I'm not enjoying the tie-in novel so far, not because of anything orenronen or Fedule are doing, but because it's a tie-in novel, and it's not really doing anything for me. I know it's not a must-read in that you'll be lost without it, but I'm curious how much this is going to hamper my enjoyment of the LP. So, before I stop reading it: is DR0 separate from DR2, or is there a drastic difference that I'll get by putting in the effort to read both?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Antivehicular posted:

I assume it's intentional, though, since Junko is well-established as a psychotic antagonist.

If this was our first exposure to Junko Enoshima, she'd be well-established as a psychotic antagonist now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

orenronen posted:

Dangan Ronpa/Zero is a novel published by Seikaisha’s FICTIONS imprint on September 16, 2011. It was written by Kodaka with illustrations by Komatsuzaki. DR/Zero is a prequel to the first game, but also provides important setup for SDR2. Its cast is mostly new, but also contains some returning faces. It’s a fully canon part of the Dangan Ronpa storyline, and you are getting a serialized translation of it in this thread, between game updates.

Bolded the relevant bits. My guess is that Zero will explain more about The Most Despair-Inducing Event in the History of Mankind, and it will provide context for some stuff that happens in DR2.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Yggdrasil325 posted:

Junko was less breaking the fourth wall and more speaking in Tropes.

:stonk: Oh god! Junko is a SHSL :tvtropes:.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

LateToTheParty posted:

You may read this development as Junko, being SHSL Despair, knows the best way to make goons despair despite being in a novel that doesn't even have an official English translation.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

LateToTheParty posted:

Yup, SHSL Despair alright :v:

I find curious that DR0 Junko is that verbose. I mean, if someone read the novel before playing the game, they would tell right away that something is wrong with "Junko".

I'm wondering if we'll see more conflict between Usami/Monobear. Also, I think Fat Togami might be a cousin/brother to Original Togami, but this game is full of turns, so who knows?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I really hope Fat Togami turns outs to just be regular old Togami and he came back just so he could gently caress with more crime scenes,

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Antivehicular posted:

It's not just you -- I'm pretty disturbed by Junko's treatment of Ryouko, and in general Ryouko makes me really sad. (I considered making an effortpost about how sad it was that her entire life is built around being a high-school student, and yet her neurological problems make her incapable of conscious learning.) I assume it's intentional, though, since Junko is well-established as a psychotic antagonist.
I don't know; assuming Enoshima treating Ryouko in a psychotic manner to be intentionally disturbing in a horror/suspense story, a genre which often has psychotic or supernaturally evil villains and events which both play at the reader's fears and disturb the reader, is a pretty wild leap of logic.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Whether or not "Ubermensch olympics" was effectively the original verbiage or a modification by the guys doing the posting work, it is most assuredly going to become part of my everyday lexicon because it's just so great. Probably 90% of the time it'll be in making Paul Ryan jokes but hey it's still gonna get used.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

* ding dong ding dong *

Um, This is an announcement from Hope's Peak Academy's Field Trip Executive Committee...
Good morning, you bastards! It’s another perfect tropical day!
Let's enjoy it for all it’s worth!

It wasn't a dream, after all...

Just like that, all the horrible memories from yesterday came flooding back. Not a pleasant start to the day.

Re: Beautiful Morning

Anyway... I guess I'll go check out what's going on outside...

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

No, no, no! Don't go out!
...M...Monobear?! Why are you here?!

Oh, you don't have to be so guarded! I'm here to show you something fun!
Fun...? Fun...?!

You see, I want you to find my figurines.

I got a little carried away and made too many of them.

But, I couldn't just throw them away, so I hid them all over the island.
So, you see, they're hidden in all sorts of places. Please find them all!
W...Why the hell should I...

I'm very sorry! You don't get veto power over this!
I've hidden one in this very room, and you’re not leaving until you’ve found it!

Good luck!

poo poo... that bear just does whatever he pleases...!

I guess we have no choice. Let's start by investigating this room.

This bed... was actually pretty comfortable.

These windows let in lots of sunlight, and the view’s pretty nice...

Not that that has the slightest importance right now...

What's this...?

They look like shelves... But somehow I feel I shouldn't just put things on top of them...

That's the shower room.

It's large and easy to use, but... I probably won't have a chance to take a nice shower after a hot day.

Not in this kind of situation...

Sharp-eyed readers may have already discovered what we're looking for.

HIDDEN MONOBEAR GET!

MONOBEAR COINS GET!

Well done!
I've also hidden some coins along with the figurines! Aren't I kind?

You can exchange the coins for some cool items at the beach and in Rocketpunch Market.
I've hidden more figurines elsewhere. Good luck searching!

And if you find them all...!

W...What the hell was that all about...?!

Whatever... I should just go.

But before we do that, let's look at those shelves again.

So this is where I'm supposed to put the Monobear figurines...

He just placed that first one there without asking.

And now it's time to go out.

GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
Whoa!

...Oh, ‘s only you, Hinata. Don't surprise me like that.
T...That's my line...!

B...By the way... you seen it yet?

Ahhh... It's such a pain... What's up with that?!
W...What are you talking about...?

The bridges, y'know? Massive? Gates? Five of ‘em? Central Island?
Did something happen to those bridges?

Somethin’ sure did! That's what I'm trying to tell you!

T...Those "monsters" are standing in front of the bridges... They're blocking them...

They're not monsters, they're Monobeasts.

GYAAAAAAAAAA! HE'S HEEEEEEEERE!!

The Monobeasts are Jabberwock Island's guardians.
They're there to help me keep you bastards in check and prevent you from crossing over to the other islands.

So, they're gatekeepers... In that case, we probably shouldn't go near those bridges unprepared.

Uu... what a pain... Can't take it anymore...
H...Hey, keep it together...! Your face is going all pale...!
I can't... I can't keep it together.
How can I enjoy a tropical vacation when monsters are probably about to eat me...!

...What’s all this noise you're making?

GYAAAAAAAAAA! SOMEONE ELSE'S HEEEEEEERE!!

I came all the way here just to call you. Don't treat me like a monster...
...Eh? You came to call us?

I've been asked to. The two of you didn't seem like you were going to show up, so I went looking for you.
...We're having a meeting. We're waiting at the hotel restaurant. Come quickly.

What’s this meeting about?

Uu... I'm out... I want nothing to do with it...

I...I'M RUNNING AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!

...Ah, hey! There's nowhere to run to!!

My calls for him to stop were in vain. Souda ran away like a rabbit and disappeared.

Anyway, I guess I should go to the restaurant.

Off to the restaurant, then.

Huh? I was told everyone's already at the restaurant...

I thought I could get a game in before everyone got here...
But... I guess it's time to go.

Games first thing in the morning... As expected from a "Super High-school Level Gamer".

You're late, Hinata.... and what about Souda? Weren't the two of you together?
He... ran off somewhere.

Huh? Where to?
He... said he was running away, but...

...Running away...? Is there somewhere we can run away to?

He's just a biiiiig weirdo! There's nowhere to run away to!

We can't blame him, though... Not after what we've all witnessed yesterday.

Eh? What was that? Did something happen yesterday...?
I won't believe anything. I mean, that couldn't possibly have been reality.

Yep... there's nothing to be gained by believing.

That kind of attitude may be comfortable, but...

So, why have you gathered all of us here?

We will not start talking until Souda is here.
Ah, wait a second... So, it was you who gathered us here...?

Oui! It seems Byakuya-chan over there has something he wants to talk to everyone about!
What... is there to talk about?

Isn't it obvious?! It's a strategy meeting about how to take down those monsters!

W...We can't fight them...! They're equipped with heavy firearms, aren't they?!

BULLETS CANNOT PIERCE SPIRIT!

A keen observation, and well put... But let me offer some... advice... spirited one.

A truly strong person... also knows how to keep quiet.

Heeeey! Let's just get started already!

Besides, it’s probably going to be some worthless pep-talk.

I'm not going to repeat it anymore... I will not begin talking until everyone is here.

Oh, fine! I get it! I'll just go get him, then!
Wait here! I'll bring him over even if I have to tie him down!

Hoh hoh.... I'm a little jealous. I wouldn't mind being tied up by Koizumi-san...

Maybe I should run away too... Juuuust kidding!

Disgusting...

Well, then. Until everyone is here, I suggest we make use of the time and have breakfast.

Let's eat!

The moment he was done talking, Togami started devouring the mountain of food on the tables in front of us.

...Wait, where did all that food come from?

When I came here this morning, it was already here.

Ah, they even have shrimps and crabs!

Eating shrimps and crabs is such a paaaain! I hate them! Almost as much as I hate Tsumiki's shady face.

A...Almost as much...? Eh? Eh?

Yep. That face right there.

W...Why are you so meeeeeeeean?!

Heeheehee... you're probably used to it by now, aren't you?

That's enough.

Ah, Eureka! It was Teruteru-chan who made all this food, right!?

Hmhmhm... Unfortunately, it wasn't me.

That is, my food couldn’t possibly be this awful.

...Awful? It's as good as any normal food.

Normal...?
The food I make has been called "The Tastiest Food in the World". Compared to that, this "normal" food is utterly worthless.

The comparison itself is nonsense!!
Comparing me to such low-level fodder? I'm quite offended!
H...Hey, don't get so upset...

When you actually get to try my food, you will be astounded!

What do you mean?

It won't just be your jaw that drops!

Your underpants are gonna fall off too! Even your black thong, Pekoyama-san!

...Y...You bastard! How did you...?!

...Sounds like he hit the bullseye.

But, who if not Hanamura-san was it who made this food?

It must’ve been that Monobear-chan after all!
...Can we really trust this food if it was made by that stuffed doll?

I am just in the process of checking for poison, to ease your minds.

The way you're eating... is a little too... enthusiastic... for simple poison-checking...

Have I kept you waiting? I brought him!

Hey, don't tremble like that! Aren't you embarrassed as a man?!

S...Stop it... Don't pull me... You're gonna rip my sleeves off....

Kyahaha! He looks tough but he's really a scaredy-cat!

I wonder if he's gonna be alright... People who act like that often turn out to be the first victims, you know?

L...Let me goooooooooo!!

Music halts.

* CRAAAAAAAAAASH *

KYAAAAAAAAAA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well, the Peko-Kirigiri comparison just fell off a bit - she's nowhere near as unshakeable as Kirigiri was. Also drat is Teruteru a creep.

• Locked thread