Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Awesome. I kept on meaning to go back and watch each of these segments in order so this will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

victrix posted:

His general 'I'm angry at this lovely game' videos are pretty boring, but check out his retrospective/history videos on say, Castlevania or a few other series...

I don't know how much I believe in his 'game knowledge', its easy to come off knowledgeable when you can research and script for a web video. What made me suspicious was his recollection video of Contra. Hes acts like he doesn't know the Konami code completely, and that bugged me because if you wanted to come off as a videogame nerd and mention the code at all why wouldn't he look it up beforehand? To better sell his story that he beat the game without it. Not that its impossible either, which leads me to my next issue with his story. He's showcased his gaming prowess in his videos, and even if some of it is staged I still strongly doubt he has now or ever had the skill to beat contra without a cheat.

GCCX isn't heavy on game history or trivia which is one of the things that I do enjoy about the Nerd videos.

Arino's 'if your going to visit a' segments are a highpoint for me in all his videos, he shows games in a more complete way, and the other retro console segments are a nice break during duller game playthroughs.

What kind of budget do they work with I wonder. If the show is as popular as I'm led to believe I'd think they'd put more money into the show. Also what time does the show normally air there? Is it a prime time show with lots of reruns or what?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

xamphear posted:

Are there a particular set of videos that showcase the depth of AVGN? Every time I've come across it, a video here or a video there, I haven't really enjoyed it. It came across as "louder = funnier" and "need a laugh? just make up a new portmanteau of gently caress". I think that sort of humor is perfectly valid, it just doesn't do anything for me personally.
His Swordquest video is one of my favorites since it is more informative than constantly complaining about how bad a game is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWltQ9UN5vE

Rolfe has also done a few "memories" videos where he talks about playing classic games (like Contra) as himself. I hope he does more of these since the AVGN thing does get kinda old. Plus, he seems like a really cool guy IRL.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

univbee posted:

http://lostclassicvgs.com
Super Monkey Adventure is a very unique game...

There's that word again...

xamphear posted:

Are there a particular set of videos that showcase the depth of AVGN? Every time I've come across it, a video here or a video there, I haven't really enjoyed it. It came across as "louder = funnier" and "need a laugh? just make up a new portmanteau of gently caress". I think that sort of humor is perfectly valid, it just doesn't do anything for me personally.

I'd recommend the Castlevania retrospective (pretty straightforward), Plumbers Don't Wear Ties (for sheer weirdness of the game alone), and the Swordquest video, which is probably my favorite "review." It's a cool story about an almost-was mega series starting at the end of an era. Maybe throw in the pretty great Christmas Carol special for Old and Young Nerd.

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 14, 2013

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010

Obeast posted:

Rolfe has also done a few "memories" videos where he talks about playing classic games (like Contra) as himself. I hope he does more of these since the AVGN thing does get kinda old. Plus, he seems like a really cool guy IRL.

I met him at Screwattack Gaming Convention and can vouch he was cool

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Blackchamber posted:

I don't know how much I believe in his 'game knowledge', its easy to come off knowledgeable when you can research and script for a web video. What made me suspicious was his recollection video of Contra. Hes acts like he doesn't know the Konami code completely, and that bugged me because if you wanted to come off as a videogame nerd and mention the code at all why wouldn't he look it up beforehand? To better sell his story that he beat the game without it. Not that its impossible either, which leads me to my next issue with his story. He's showcased his gaming prowess in his videos, and even if some of it is staged I still strongly doubt he has now or ever had the skill to beat contra without a cheat.

I don't really find it hard to believe that he's beaten it without the cheat. It's one of those games that becomes pretty easy after you've figured out how it works. I'd say the sequel "Super C" is a bit harder.

As for him showcasing his skill, you should check out his Street Fighter 2010 video if you haven't already. I think that video is proof enough he has skill.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

orochi posted:

As for him showcasing his skill, you should check out his Street Fighter 2010 video if you haven't already. I think that video is proof enough he has skill.

There is also this impressive moment in the Game Glitches episode where he talks about how he beat one of the final bosses in Mega Man 5, despite a glitch where the boss's body appears still, but the moving platforms are invisible and can still hit Mega Man. Whether or not this could be considered "skill" is up to you to decide, but it does show perseverance in his part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdWRTleizFU#t=4m34s

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spoilers for Spelunker:

Oh, Arino. :negative:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Spoilers for Spelunker:

Oh Arino san!

Are there any differences in the Director's Cut episodes for Battletoads and F-Zero from DVD 9.

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.

Random Stranger posted:

Spoilers for Spelunker:

God drat, I can hear the music in my head.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Let's talk about the AVGN in his thread maybe?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Random Stranger posted:

Spoilers for Spelunker:

Looking forward to this next released episode. Wink.

come on that's gotta be great

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I just watched Puyo Puyo. I like how loudly Arino yells "YATTA!" after beating cannon-fodder Abe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jyrque posted:

Looking forward to this next released episode. Wink.

come on that's gotta be great

Sorry, the DVD just came out in Japan a month ago. This one isn't going to be on the schedule for a while.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

So I started rewatching some older episodes because, well, I go through the new ones too fast because they're like crack to me and the perfect way to waste an hour. The most recent one was Paris Dakar Rally and it still cracks me up how absolutely bonkers that game is. It's even better because Arino and most of the staff are all :stare: too at the crazy random stuff that happens.

This show never fails to make me smile, no matter how much crap is currently going on in my life. I can't wait for whatever the next episode is gonna be, no matter how long it takes.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

abraxas posted:

So I started rewatching some older episodes because, well, I go through the new ones too fast because they're like crack to me and the perfect way to waste an hour. The most recent one was Paris Dakar Rally and it still cracks me up how absolutely bonkers that game is. It's even better because Arino and most of the staff are all :stare: too at the crazy random stuff that happens.

This show never fails to make me smile, no matter how much crap is currently going on in my life. I can't wait for whatever the next episode is gonna be, no matter how long it takes.

This show is awesomely rewatchable. Once the first hundred have been completely translated I'm starting from the beginning in chronological order.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Has anyone put together torrents for entire seasons or am I going to have to download and sort it all manually?

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Heti posted:

Has anyone put together torrents for entire seasons or am I going to have to download and sort it all manually?

I don't know if it's true for all of them but most of them are sorted into seasons when you download them, so when you download multiple torrents they should still be sorted into the season folders. Unless you mean as far as downloading goes, in which case I don't know if there's a list of torrent links in order.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jyrque posted:

This show is awesomely rewatchable. Once the first hundred have been completely translated I'm starting from the beginning in chronological order.

Don't forget that Quest of Ki live goes in-between episodes 59 and 60. :v:

Heti posted:

I've been thinking about consolidating a bit but I was worried about fragmenting the seeding.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I started downloading them manually and the folder/file names are a little inconsistent sometimes so I was kind of baffled but I didn't think about the seeding thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heti posted:

I started downloading them manually and the folder/file names are a little inconsistent sometimes so I was kind of baffled but I didn't think about the seeding thing.

Don't worry about it; it's a valid question. Switching some stuff over to seasons is something that's been on my mind for a few weeks now. I pulled things together before and it caused a couple of minor problems so it's made me kind of gunshy about it.

Edit: The view from the challenge room the day before yesterday. Someone said something about not ever seeing precipitation?

And Itou's wife went into labor that night! No wonder he hasn't been on the show in the past few weeks. Different Itou; I double checked the kanji that the AD uses.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 15, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I wish we'd get some snow here. Nothing but grey skies and drizzle, it's getting depressing :(

I'd move to the northeast but those winters cross over from 'pretty snow!' to 'oh god tire chains'

Whats the climate like for most of Japan? I know the far north gets a lot of snow, but is the rest temperate or tropical?

Do they ski?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

victrix posted:

Do they ski?

Kinda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbkpQcZhrcE&t=151s

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Hey I have a question that is possibly stupid. How is any of this legal? If GCCX is on a pay channel in japan how can we get away with uploading and downloading them for free?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Heti posted:

Hey I have a question that is possibly stupid. How is any of this legal? If GCCX is on a pay channel in japan how can we get away with uploading and downloading them for free?

:ssh:

It is not exactly legal, and the companies involved would never make the pledges necessary to make it so. But as long as care is taken and everyone benefits there is little reason to cause trouble.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I figured as much, and the creators obviously know about it and seem pretty cool about it so I'll just shutup now.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Heti posted:

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Heti posted:

I figured as much, and the creators obviously know about it and seem pretty cool about it so I'll just shutup now.

Considering all the love Arino and the GCCX crew have gotten in Los Angeles, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to realize Americans are finding a way to watch the show through "dubious" means. They did seem cool about it though and loved that the show was getting so much attention. I guess as long as the majority of the Japanese don't find out(or at least keep it hush hush) about these uploads, then everything is cool.

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt

Heti posted:

I never would have heard about GCCX if it weren't for these threads and video links, and therefore would never have bought the US DVD box set. I'll happily buy more GCCX products to support the show.

On top of that, I've told a few people about the show who are now interested in it as well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heti posted:

There's a lot of legal grey area with this kind of stuff; the red tape involved with legal releases of shows like this is an absolute bitch (see also: Mystery Science Theater 3000), and in most cases the producers know this and more or less keep a blind eye to online fan distribution, as long as it's within reason. We have a few internal rules to keep this spirit alive, hence the earlier mention that the Spelunker episode (an exclusive to the just-released Japanese DVD Box) wouldn't be done for a while, and the Discotek-released episodes will never be downloadable here as long as the DVDs are still available (hell, we even respected Kotaku's version). Plus, Japanese companies tend to be a lot more open to this kind of stuff behind-the-scenes; Capcom and other video game companies don't even go after openly-sold hentai magazines featuring their characters in situations that, to put it lightly, aren't canon.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

We're also not exactly making a profit off this and it's more a labor of love than anything else.

We buy all offical merchandise we can get our hands on though, plenty of people line up to buy merch from whoever can go to the next meetup.

Season torrents are probably something that should be considered for in the future, especially once we've translated everything that we could in a given season.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
The Dig Dug 2 episode is currently my favorite episode. I've never seen a man get so happy/deflated when he defeats enemies.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
It slightly upsetting that episodes like Clock Tower are still on Youtube, because I've seen multiple people say that they won't buy the DVDs because they can watch the episodes for free.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

univbee posted:

There's a lot of legal grey area with this kind of stuff; the red tape involved with legal releases of shows like this is an absolute bitch (see also: Mystery Science Theater 3000), and in most cases the producers know this and more or less keep a blind eye to online fan distribution, as long as it's within reason.

Yeah, they obviously know something's going on in the backroom, but I think they got a lot more important things to do than to shut down people who are actually making them money. Think about it, would Discotek media gotten the rights without these fansubs? Would they be getting faxes from USA and Greece? The good we do for them outweighs any possible negative effects that they'll just play dumb and say "We don't know how these people know about us!"

Andorra posted:

It slightly upsetting that episodes like Clock Tower are still on Youtube, because I've seen multiple people say that they won't buy the DVDs because they can watch the episodes for free.

What would their Inner-Kacho say? They gotta be careful, or else they'll find themselves stuck in a pattern.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Andorra posted:

People who say that wouldnt have bought the DVD anyways, and just pirate the DVD rips. Theyre like the people who pirate all their games because 'games are too expensive and lovely and have terrible DRM that ruins everything' but then go on to pirate Rayman Origins.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Gutcruncher posted:

People who say that wouldnt have bought the DVD anyways, and just pirate the DVD rips. Theyre like the people who pirate all their games because 'games are too expensive and lovely and have terrible DRM that ruins everything' but then go on to pirate Rayman Origins.

People who pirate Rayman Origins are the worst. It's almost exactly the kind of game they complain about that nobody supports. It's pretty artistic, the gameplay is just a smoother verision of the original Rayman, it's a loving full disc retail release of a 2D platformer. in 2011! That takes balls and it should have been supported more. (and then Sonic Generations came out not long after that and really drove home that old IPs/gameplay styles can still be done well even to this day.)

I still want the sequel on something other than a Wii-U.

But yes, there's esentially two kinds of people. One will only watch whatever they can get for free, and whine if they can't. And the other will really enjoy whatever they're watching and support it by whatever means they can.

rudypooh
Sep 7, 2011
Somebody help me out here. Was there ever a Quest of Ki Live challenge compilation video or is there just the Sugoi-Squad April Fool's video? I could swear I've seen one before, even including the end of the challenge, but I don't have it nor see it in the episode guide on page 1.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think there was an official compilation episode, or it might have been part of another episode. Obviously, we'll never get the full thing because it's apparently 7 hours of Arino dying the same exact way.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

rudypooh posted:

Somebody help me out here. Was there ever a Quest of Ki Live challenge compilation video or is there just the Sugoi-Squad April Fool's video? I could swear I've seen one before, even including the end of the challenge, but I don't have it nor see it in the episode guide on page 1.

You might be thinking of the Bonk's Adventure episode, which includes a recap of the live challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt

univbee posted:

Plus, Japanese companies tend to be a lot more open to this kind of stuff behind-the-scenes; Capcom and other video game companies don't even go after openly-sold hentai magazines featuring their characters in situations that, to put it lightly, aren't canon.

Prior to reading about dōjinshi (I don't read manga), I had no idea that publishers in Japan generally take a soft approach to fan-created works. I really wish we had more of that spirit in the US.