Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does anyone know if Google will ever fix the quadraphonic audio bug? Chrome doesn't play audio unless it is set to stereo.

Disregard this, I can just set it to 5.1, unselect the subwoofer, and everything works.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chrome Stable is super messed up on my Vista machine.

Just updaed to the latest version and now every page in my bookmarks renders as a blank white screen (!) when I open it, and if I click on the white screen the page shows up.

Really weird and hope it's fixed soon. Any idea what could be causing this?

EDIT: I disabled "GPU composting on all pages" in about:flags and that fixed it

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 12, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Update to my earlier issue:

24.0.1312.52 m stable, Windows 8, i5-2500K, GTX 560 Ti (310.90): Crashes even at the login screen when you reinstall, now. All behavior mentioned so far presents in both Desktop and Metro* mode.
*You had your chance to not be dumbasses about your product names, Microsoft.

24.0.1312.52 m stable, Windows 7, i5-2500K, GTX 560 Ti (310.90): No issues. I'm not willing to rule out some sort of system corruption. EDIT: Okay, now I am. Reports say Free Download Manager is making it die, and I was able to confirm this in my Windows 7 instance.

Given how pathetic Chrome's download management is, can someone recommend a download manager that won't make Chrome react violently just by being in memory?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 13, 2013

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Didion posted:

I know I'm in the minority here, but is there a way I can get Chrome to reload a page when I go back?

Just gonna ask one more time, is there an option or an extension that makes chrome automatically reload when I go back a page? All I can find are ways to have it reload after a certain time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is anyone else getting severe static/artifacting with HTML5 audio?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone else getting blue tabs in the latest Chrome Beta?

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Amazing! Thanks.

Ok, looks like it should be fixed in the current Beta release: http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=172775

Thankfully I could find it by searching for "OS X" in the changelog, rather than trying to sift through the 1471 results for "GPU". :psyduck:

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
How do you prevent chrome from automatically going to a suggested URL you are typing in? For example, I want to go to website.com/page, so I type that in and hit enter. However if I previously went to website.com/page/subpage, it will suggest that and go to that page instead.

I want to keep the suggested URL turned on, however how can I prevent it from going to a shorter version of the URL??

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

VerySolidSnake posted:

How do you prevent chrome from automatically going to a suggested URL you are typing in? For example, I want to go to website.com/page, so I type that in and hit enter. However if I previously went to website.com/page/subpage, it will suggest that and go to that page instead.

I want to keep the suggested URL turned on, however how can I prevent it from going to a shorter version of the URL??
That's always been an annoyance of mine. I usually just hit Space after the URL (which gets rid of the auto complete). Not an ideal solution, but I've gotten used to it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Ok, looks like it should be fixed in the current Beta release: http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=172775

Thankfully I could find it by searching for "OS X" in the changelog, rather than trying to sift through the 1471 results for "GPU". :psyduck:

Thanks! Those changelogs really confuse me. I'll report back and let you know if it happens again.

edit: Welp, same freeze, in exactly the same way. I've done a totally fresh install of the stable branch, to see if it happens here too.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 16, 2013

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

syphon posted:

That's always been an annoyance of mine. I usually just hit Space after the URL (which gets rid of the auto complete). Not an ideal solution, but I've gotten used to it.

I was using the delete key until I read this, this is a much easier way to break autocomplete.

Burger King Bathroom
Jan 11, 2005

Arbeit macht LOL

VerySolidSnake posted:

I was using the delete key until I read this, this is a much easier way to break autocomplete.

You guys might like Fauxbar. I've been using it for a while now and never ever touch Chrome's omnibar anymore.

http://code.google.com/p/fauxbar/

Edit: Omnibox it seems to be called.

Burger King Bathroom fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 16, 2013

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
This is getting ridiculous -- I can't use Chrome (beta or stable) for more than 3-4 hours before it freezes up on me and forces a hard reboot of my Macbook. Has anyone else come across anything like this?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, I remember when I used Chrome because it was the small, lightweight browser. Nowadays its base memory load is bringing my laptop to its knees. (And yes, I've ordered more memory.) It doesn't help that Gmail consistently needs ~200K. I have just disabled AdBlock because it consistently used 275K and more. At that point, I'm better off letting the ads load.

Where, oh where, are the stalwart programmers of yesteryear who understood that core was finite?

e: Version 24.0.1312.52 m, Windows 7.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Montalvo posted:

This is getting ridiculous -- I can't use Chrome (beta or stable) for more than 3-4 hours before it freezes up on me and forces a hard reboot of my Macbook. Has anyone else come across anything like this?

The latest stable version on windows is unusable for me, I constantly get a blank screen with an error message saying the graphics driver has crashed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Does anyone know why whenever I try to download something, it causes Chrome to poo poo itself when the Save As window comes up? It's been happening consistently for the last few weeks and is kind of annoying. I'm running Windows 8 Pro, so I'm assuming this is some kind of of bug? I've disabled ALL extensions, and Chrome still manages to crap out when the Save As window pops up.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 21, 2013

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I was looking for something like "back or close" with Mouse 4. I haven't found any extensions for this, which is a little surprising since it seems like simple and useful feature. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else using Chrome to Mobile suddenly lose the built in option?

Chrome used to have a little + sign to either add a bookmark or send to a mobile instance. Now it's returned to the star. Weird.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

teagone posted:

Does anyone know why whenever I try to download something, it causes Chrome to poo poo itself when the Save As window comes up? It's been happening consistently for the last few weeks and is kind of annoying. I'm running Windows 8 Pro, so I'm assuming this is some kind of of bug? I've disabled ALL extensions, and Chrome still manages to crap out when the Save As window pops up.

I saw something similar once, it turned out to be a big zip file in the downloads folder that MSE was diving on as soon as the explorer window looked at it, so MSE was hogging the processor and seemingly doing nothing. I don't know what the actual problem was, but moving the file was how I got around it.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Montalvo posted:

It looks like they disabled Force Compositing Mode for OSX in the newest beta due to all the issues people have been having with it, so maybe you will be good now.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've also had a little bit of luck with disabling GPU acceleration.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Chromium has added a new experimental notification center leading to speculation that it will hit Chrome and add Google Now support.
http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/01/31/google-adds-new-notification-center-to-chrome-code-could-grow-into-full-google-now-desktop-support/
I only have Android 4.0 so I don't know how cool or not Google now is.
Edit: My tablet has 4.1 so I'm trying out Google Now.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 1, 2013

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I haven't used Google Now (I don't have Android), so I don't know how cool it is. However, it sounds pretty drat cool. Although I'm not sure how it translates to a browser.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

myron cope posted:

I haven't used Google Now (I don't have Android), so I don't know how cool it is. However, it sounds pretty drat cool. Although I'm not sure how it translates to a browser.

Google Now has taken over a huge portion of the short interactions I do with my phone. It's pretty great. Like most Google products there's parts of it that are broken or just make you go "what", but still it's good.

I don't quite get its relevance to a browser, though.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Perhaps it's some kind of attempt at cross-device notifications?

That way, your phone rings, your tablet bloops a few seconds later, your browser pops a notification, your Pebble watch buzzes and your Google Glass screeches directly into your bones or something.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Google Now has taken over a huge portion of the short interactions I do with my phone. It's pretty great. Like most Google products there's parts of it that are broken or just make you go "what", but still it's good.

I don't quite get its relevance to a browser, though.
It's only speculation based on how the notification center works, which after reading some more articles goes "new notification center, therefore Google Now" without explanation so I think I jumped the gun on it. I think spincube is right in how they would implement it but without the annoying blips and boops; if you search for a place on your desktop Google Now could bring that up on your phone. If you get a message on your phone it could pop up in Chrome, and maybe you could respond to it from Chrome as well. They could replace Chrome To Phone with it if you can send over links and phone numbers.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have serious performance issues with Chrome on my work PC at the moment. With just maybe 10 tabs open, i get freezes, slow tab switching, white screens, and frequently see tabs refresh when I select them.

I've tried:
Disabling all plugins.
Disabling all plugins except flash, and then tried disabling either pepper flash or the normal one. I always have click to play on either way.
Disabling all extensions.
The only extensions I run anyway are AdBlock, Lastpass, Vimium & Stylish.

No difference.
This PC is Windows 7 32bit, Core 2 Duo, 32bit' 3 Gigs ram.

At home I run Ubuntu and experience none of these problems. I'm synced to the exact same Chrome profile, and I have zero problems in Chromium or Chrome. My home PC is an i5 Ivy Bridge, 16GB ram.

Am I expecting too much from an oldish PC, or is it something a re-install might fix? Firefox runs Ok on both PCs so I don't know WTF.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yaos posted:

if you search for a place on your desktop Google Now could bring that up on your phone.

This already happens as long as you're signed in to Google on your desktop.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A day or two ago, Flash stopped working in Chrome all of a sudden. Java/Javascript/HTML5 are unaffected, and everything is still working fine in Firefox.

I wish I could say if the problem coincided with an update to Chrome or Flash, but I honestly don't recall. Everything comes up with "Couldn't load plugin":

And yes, it's enabled in chrome://plugins...

Checking or unchecking the "Always allowed" boxes makes no difference. I've tried purging Chrome and reinstalling it from the .deb, with no effect. I'm officially stumped, and Googling it, I only find stuff about bad updates from a year or two ago. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

Details: Flash 11.5.31.138 and Chrome Stable 24.0.1312.57 running on Linux Mint 14 w/ Cinnamon desktop.

Thanks!

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

If you click on the details button on right side, it'll show that you have two versions of flash. Try disabling the windows version to see if that helps.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Capt. Morgan posted:

If you click on the details button on right side, it'll show that you have two versions of flash. Try disabling the windows version to see if that helps.

Turns out it needed the opposite -- I had to disable the flash version that's under libpepflashplayer, the one that's in /opt/google/chrome. Disabling the OS-wide one just changed the plugin error message to tell me to go re-enable it.

Disabling the entire libpepflashplayer section killed other plugins (most notably Java), but fortunately everything works when I have just the first entry (libpepflashplayer.so) disabled, leaving the others (IcedTea, etc.) enabled.

Many thanks!

Does anyone have a short version of what the deal is with Chrome and its multiple Flash personalities? I've heard of it causing trouble before (with animated gifs of all things), but hadn't run into any problems until recently.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I guess the short version is that they consider the currently widely used plugin API (NPAPI) for Flash to be insufficient for their needs so they have a special version of Flash bundled with Chrome to use with an API they invented and like (Pepper). They say that this new API can do stuff like sandboxing where NPAPI falls short.

I don't know the exact reason they bundle Flash with Chrome but it's probably a pragmatic decision to not leave users with an outdated Adobe Flash plugin much like their bundled PDF reader.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Recently facebook has made the sizes in the right hand chat/notification bar different. The notifications are longer than the list of people to chat with, which I don't like.

Like this, basically:

Using the Element Inspector, I can set the size of the notifications back to its original, but it doesn't stick when the page is reloaded. Is there any way to make changes from element inspector permanent?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Using Chrome on Linux (latest version), whenever I watch a video (YouTube, or anything else), it looks like there's confetti all over the video itself. What gives? Is this a Flash issue?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Video corruption is usually caused by video acceleration, either a video card going bad or buggy drivers/software. Here's instructions on how to turn it off for just Flash. http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1230977

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Does anyone know how to get autopager working with the new version of the forums? I was hoping someone would upload a new ruleset but it's been a while now and still hasn't happened.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but it being related to Chrome I figured this is probably my best shot. The company I work for uses Kronos Workforce for timecards, and I know it specifically says only IE and Safari (not Chrome) are supported browsers.

Our IT department seems to think that the simple act of having Google Chrome INSTALLED on the machine (not opening Kronos through it, just having it installed) is causing issues with Kronos running properly in IE. This seems like absolute insanity. I'm far more tech savvy than most of my co-workers, but I admit I'm not as knowledgable as I'd like to be, particularly regarding these kinds of issues. We run IE8 for our enterprise applications, but we're still stuck in the dark ages on Windows XP, if that matters. Is this a legitimate concern or am I not actually crazy?!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Kumbamontu posted:

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but it being related to Chrome I figured this is probably my best shot. The company I work for uses Kronos Workforce for timecards, and I know it specifically says only IE and Safari (not Chrome) are supported browsers.

Our IT department seems to think that the simple act of having Google Chrome INSTALLED on the machine (not opening Kronos through it, just having it installed) is causing issues with Kronos running properly in IE. This seems like absolute insanity. I'm far more tech savvy than most of my co-workers, but I admit I'm not as knowledgable as I'd like to be, particularly regarding these kinds of issues. We run IE8 for our enterprise applications, but we're still stuck in the dark ages on Windows XP, if that matters. Is this a legitimate concern or am I not actually crazy?!

I've seen Chrome hijack certain registry keys which prevented hyperlinks from Outlook from opening correctly.

Personally, being an IT guy myself, I'd just comply with the IT department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Does anyone know why google docs would be crashing within Chrome (and only chrome, but not incognito mode in chrome). This only happens when opening a doc or trying to create one (doesn't matter format). The following error pops up:

I have to hit cancel about 4 times (if I hit okay, it auto-refreshes after hitting okay 4 times, and doesn't show the next box long), and then get this:

This only happens in Google Chrome (works in IE!), and happens whether I'm using Windows 8 or Arch-Linux. Using: Version 24.0.1312.68.