Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's not just the publisher's attitudes. The copyright and trademark laws are considerably different. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheeto
Dec 14, 2011

Please watch these middle-aged men playing video games
Yeah, in America copyright owners have to basically abide by the "use it or lose it" rule. Which is why several Internet fan projects get shut down daily, not necessarily cause the IP holder is greedy, but if down the road the courts see any kind of leniency like that with their properties they could potentially lose said rights.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: The view from the challenge room the day before yesterday. Someone said something about not ever seeing precipitation?

They're just dangling Nakayama over the set with a box of soapflakes in front of one of Tsuruoka's dioramas. I'm not fooled. :colbert:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I just wanna say that this thread got me into CX and also got me into other parts of Japanese TV. I may consider throwing money down for some DVDs. I also enjoy drinking beers and watching this with buddies.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

I just wanna say that this thread got me into CX and also got me into other parts of Japanese TV. I may consider throwing money down for some DVDs. I also enjoy drinking beers and watching this with buddies.

I haven't even looked at other japanese shows. After being scared away from anime a few years ago (what the gently caress is going on there?) I guess I made broad mental generalizations that I'm certain are entirely untrue about japanese media :v:

Also this is going to sound terribly stupid, but Arino is pretty drat funny in the bonus segments. Almost as if he was a comedian or something.

"Uso!" As he stares disbelievingly at person/thing makes me laugh every time. He's also funny because I also have another (also probably untrue) mental image of the japanese as excessively polite and formal in all circumstances, and he regularly does hilarious poo poo with people that seems rude from that perspective.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:

victrix posted:

Also this is going to sound terribly stupid, but Arino is pretty drat funny in the bonus segments. Almost as if he was a comedian or something.

Well...it's because he is a comedian. :v:

versus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 15, 2013

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't say I'm 100% fluent in Japanese culture but Arino's routine is about 50% of Japanese comedy: being outspoken and informal. If you listen to how ADs speak to Arino, it's obvious they speak like the average Japanese person, meanwhile Arino being a comedian sort of has the privilege to be direct, even blunt, at times for laughs.

You can see the change between Arino's comedian and average Japanese middleaged man in the arcade segments. He's very polite to shopkeepers and arcade owners and little candy store grannies, but after introducing himself he begins his comedy routine, albeit in a more polite form and less blunt. Show staff obviously gets zinged business as usual no matter where they are filming.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Cheeto posted:

Yeah, in America copyright owners have to basically abide by the "use it or lose it" rule. Which is why several Internet fan projects get shut down daily, not necessarily cause the IP holder is greedy, but if down the road the courts see any kind of leniency like that with their properties they could potentially lose said rights.

You just described trademark law in the US. Copyright has no such "use it or lose it" clause, it's absolute. Even if I haven't been diligently stopping violations, I can turn on a dime and do so and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me. As long as I am within the protected time frame, the copyright is mine to do with as I please, and if I decide that fan works are encroaching on my rights, I can send a cease and desist any time.

http://www.iplg.com/resources/articles/losing_trademark_rights.html

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 15, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rudypooh posted:

Somebody help me out here. Was there ever a Quest of Ki Live challenge compilation video or is there just the Sugoi-Squad April Fool's video? I could swear I've seen one before, even including the end of the challenge, but I don't have it nor see it in the episode guide on page 1.

Besides the recap in Bonk's Adventure there's about an hour long edit of the special on DVD set five. It's more along the lines of the Lemmings 24 hour special.

As for GCCX and us, I'd put it at about a 50% chance that they're directly aware of us and check in on this thread from time to time. They definitely check in on what their Japanese fans are saying about them online and between Kibe and a few other things (some of which I can't talk about), it's enough to make me pause and say, "I wonder..."

Discotek is definitely aware of what we're doing. The man in charge there has posted in this thread and this is why zari-gani did the new translations for them.

I feel that as long as we avoid being too much trouble everyone is happy to let fans get stuff that they won't see otherwise.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 16, 2013

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Discotek is definitely aware of what we're doing. The man in charge there has posted in this thread and this is why zari-gani did the new translations for them.

I feel that as long as we avoid being too much trouble everyone is happy to let fans get stuff that they won't see otherwise.

I hope sales of the DVDs are going well and that will prove fans of the show are willing to back it up (and we get another volume). I would happily purchase every subbed episode you guys release if that model were an option going forward. ...and on that note, why aren't their any companies that try to push fansubs into digital marketplaces and get official licensing to publish? Seems like these niche shows could sell for a couple bucks an episode and everyone involved could get a taste rather than it being a legal grey area.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

victrix posted:

I haven't even looked at other japanese shows. After being scared away from anime a few years ago (what the gently caress is going on there?) I guess I made broad mental generalizations that I'm certain are entirely untrue about japanese media :v:

If you feel like giving at least one other comedy show a chance, I'd recommend Downtown's Gaki no Tsukai. One of their most popular segments are Punishment games, or Batsu games as most people leave it. They're mostly set up on a simple premise (which baseball team in an upcoming game is going to win is used a couple times) and the loser(s) have to suffer through some form of punishment. No-Reaction Pie Hell is a pretty good example of what they have to go through. One of the cast, Matsumoto, has to go through a 'day' where an announcer gives him tasks to do. The twist is the other four members of the show all get to throw pies at him, and he can't react to their presence.

Their other stuff is usually pretty good too, like where they each come up with two pizzas, to varying degrees of success. Finally, if you've ever watched Silent Library on MTV it's actually based on Downtown's own Silent Library, just more of a game show than Downtown's was.

You can find most of their stuff subbed in English on YouTube, obviously to various degrees of translation quality. As a warning though, some of their stuff can be unsafe for work, so keep that in mind. The pizza one isn't though, so if you want to see who these guys are it's as fine a starting point as any.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I didn't like how obviously staged Silent Library is compared to the other segments. Like, I guess their actual reactions are real but part of the laughs are supposed to come from the actual people around them like the librarians and studying kids who are obviously actors.

I still do like downtown a lot though and enjoy all their other segments.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
The funniest moment in GCCX I think, Is when Arino was trying to beat Super Mario Bros. 2 for the second time and he brought in that kid who sent him the tape of how to make that one jump (The triangle jump).

The kid comes in, plays for a bit, then asks Arino if he warped. When Arino answered yes, the kid unexpectedly resets the game, claiming that the game needed to be beaten legit. The reaction from Arino had me in stitches! I love how Arino was in good spirits even though this kid hosed up hours of his work!

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Just lookin around on Youtube and I saw this.

quote:

ゲームセンターCX 152 スーパーマリオ ヨッシーアイランド | 152 Yoshi's Island
by Nigoli3•5 days ago•1,858,947 views
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Part 1

:stare:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Damonic posted:

The funniest moment in GCCX I think, Is when Arino was trying to beat Super Mario Bros. 2 for the second time and he brought in that kid who sent him the tape of how to make that one jump (The triangle jump).

The kid comes in, plays for a bit, then asks Arino if he warped. When Arino answered yes, the kid unexpectedly resets the game, claiming that the game needed to be beaten legit. The reaction from Arino had me in stitches! I love how Arino was in good spirits even though this kid hosed up hours of his work!

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Just lookin around on Youtube and I saw this.

:stare:

That's crazy.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Well, you've got to remember he's on a premium network so there's loads upon loads of Japanese people who don't have that channel but still love GCCX.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I finally got around to watching the Yoshi's Island Part One episode. I'm a little disappointed that they seemed to cut out a lot of the levels that Arino apparently breezed through, but I can understand given that it's an hour show and (I'm guessing approximately) half of the episode is the challenge itself. Hopefully, part two will provide some great moments, especially when he fights the final boss, which was kinda spoiled by the preview at the end of part one.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
This was really funny until 19m50s and then it got really weird and a little rapey.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

xamphear posted:

This was really funny until 19m50s and then it got really weird and a little rapey.

Cultural differences.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

victrix posted:

Well, there's a lot of garbage to sift through. If you want somewhere good to start, try those variety shows or look up Soko Ga Shiritai, which was (is?) a show from the 80s-90s that was basically Game Center segments except with out-of-the-way stuff all over Japan. Its content ranged from bed-and-breakfasts to farms to restaurants to... crossdressing societies. Yup.

If you're looking for something a little meatier, maybe check out a Taiga drama. Musashi from 2003 was pretty great poo poo.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

xamphear posted:

Trainmonk posted:

Cultural differences.

Are you kidding me? Same thing happens in at least five episodes of Jackass.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Cemetry Gator posted:

You just described trademark law in the US. Copyright has no such "use it or lose it" clause, it's absolute. Even if I haven't been diligently stopping violations, I can turn on a dime and do so and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me. As long as I am within the protected time frame, the copyright is mine to do with as I please, and if I decide that fan works are encroaching on my rights, I can send a cease and desist any time.

http://www.iplg.com/resources/articles/losing_trademark_rights.html

You are absolutely right, but there are two additional twists to consider. First is that there is a three year statute of limitations on copyright infringement claims that begins to run from the date of the last infringement. Second is that, depending on the jurisdiction, the doctrine of laches may apply. Laches essentially means that if you knew about the infringement but ignored it so the damages keep accruing, you can't recover for those additional damages.

What does this mean for our intrepid translation heroes? Well, the first is that it behooves Fuji TV and Discotek to know as little about the translation effort as possible. Depending on where they might be filing a claim, the longer they know about SAGCCX, the less they could possibly recover. Second is that everyone is off the hook three years from the date of the last SAGCCX release. Third is that, realistically, none of this matters, because in the real world, the mind share that GCCX accrues from this fan translation effort is worth so much more than anything they could possibly recover. (Adding to this is the fact that no one is making any money off of this, so even if they do win a court case, I doubt they would recover enough to cover legal fees.)

Cease and desist letters, at least from a copyright point of view, is the legal equivalent of a warning shot that might explode in your face. IP lawyers take great pains to craft C&D letters very very carefully, because it's extremely easy to lose copyright protections depending on how you word it. For example, if you even hint at the possibility of negotiating a licensing deal, you affect the potential damages you could recover greatly. So theoretically, a C&D is nothing but a risk for the copyright holder. Of course, this is from an abstract, legal standpoint; most people shut down once a C&D comes out simply because it's expensive to hire a lawyer and fight a potential lawsuit.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, Discotek and Fuji TV will most likely ignore the hell out of SAGCCX so long as our team is as circumspect with the project as they have been. So don't worry, buy the DVDs and merch whenever you can, and spread the word about GCCX. (And that Cemetry Gator is 100% right in that "use it or lose it" is a trademark concept that does not apply to copyright.)

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention the Cease and Desist letters are not required whatsoever. They are simply a courtesy, mostly sent out to get the infringer to stop without having to actually file suit. Which is why it's a risk from an abstract standpoint; you save money by not going to court, but you might screw yourself if you do end up filing suit later.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 16, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

xamphear posted:

Yeah....

That's what I meant by occasionally unsafe for work. It is really funny up to that point though!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

If you're looking for something a little meatier, maybe check out a Taiga drama. Musashi from 2003 was pretty great poo poo.

I got this a few months ago thinking, "at least I know most of the actors in this one, I'm finally going to watch one of these!" Still haven't watched the first episode yet due to other shows popping up. :saddowns:

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
Watching the Ring-Ring Tactics Compilation and noticed they took out the sound clips of the song Monkey Magic by Godiego for the DVD edit.

When I first heard it on the TV episode subs I got nostalgia chills. I loving loved the show 'Monkey' as a kid.

A Japanese TV show, based on a Chinese legend, dubbed in England, and was super popular in Australia during the 80's. I dunno why but it just worked.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Famibomb posted:

Watching the Ring-Ring Tactics Compilation and noticed they took out the sound clips of the song Monkey Magic by Godiego for the DVD edit.

When I first heard it on the TV episode subs I got nostalgia chills. I loving loved the show 'Monkey' as a kid.

A Japanese TV show, based on a Chinese legend, dubbed in England, and was super popular in Australia during the 80's. I dunno why but it just worked.

Incidentally, they also took out the clips from the song "Gandhara" by Monkey Majik, a band I guess was named after the song! At least I guess it was the cover, since the version in the show sounded nothing like the original by Godiego.

Cudgeon
Dec 31, 2012
I really wonder where this "Anime went bad" thing comes from...
I mean, yeah, every season you have some Animes that are aimed at young japanese males, with way too much fanservice in them (not that anything comes even close to "Games of Thrones" levels..) but aside from that, every season also has anime shows that are completely safe and most of the time good or interesting. Mangas/Anime are way more diverse than american comics, where you have 80% superheroes, 20% simpson comedy clone things. You have sports-, gambling, horror, detective, historical, educational, ... really everything anime/manga, there isn't any barrier like you see in american comics.
And most of the time, you spot the bad apples by just reading the synopsis, it's seldom that it isn't obvious if it's just a fanservice thing.

Except some suckerpunches like Nobuna's Ambition, that look like they would be simple Fanservice Anime, but actually aren't. I mean, the premise that all the famous Sengoku period figures are female in this Anime, really cries out "I'm just another fanservice Anime". But then, there is literally no fanservice in it. Instead you get a suprisingly good Anime about an Nobunaga's Ambition Nerd that ends up in an alternate Universe Sengoku Period, where he uses his historical knowledge he got from the Games to change History. With that preset you not only learn about actual History, you also don't know what's going to happen next since he changes history. Very nice, leaves the question why the historical figures all had to become female, maybe because they didn't want to insult the actual historical figures, but then again there is Sengoku Basara... where Date Masamune is a leader of a delinquent gang riding horses that cosplay as motorcycles.. :p

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

We have an entire subforum dedicated to anime, dude.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I noticed that the Game Center CX 2013 calendar counts down to the 10th anniversary. They're definitely doing something big and we've got 10 months to ponder it.

Another 24 hour challenge? Arino's world tour?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Arino collects all the Famicoms in the office and sets them on fire while maniacally laughing after 10 years of this strange torture finally broke his spirit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If nothing else this job must have taught him endless perseverance and patience

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

lanzy posted:

Are you kidding me? Same thing happens in at least five episodes of Jackass.

It absolutely does not. :ssh:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cudgeon posted:

I really wonder where this "Anime went bad" thing comes from...
I mean, yeah, every season you have some Animes that are aimed at young japanese males, with way too much fanservice in them (not that anything comes even close to "Games of Thrones" levels..) but aside from that, every season also has anime shows that are completely safe and most of the time good or interesting. Mangas/Anime are way more diverse than american comics, where you have 80% superheroes, 20% simpson comedy clone things. You have sports-, gambling, horror, detective, historical, educational, ... really everything anime/manga, there isn't any barrier like you see in american comics.
And most of the time, you spot the bad apples by just reading the synopsis, it's seldom that it isn't obvious if it's just a fanservice thing.

Except some suckerpunches like Nobuna's Ambition, that look like they would be simple Fanservice Anime, but actually aren't. I mean, the premise that all the famous Sengoku period figures are female in this Anime, really cries out "I'm just another fanservice Anime". But then, there is literally no fanservice in it. Instead you get a suprisingly good Anime about an Nobunaga's Ambition Nerd that ends up in an alternate Universe Sengoku Period, where he uses his historical knowledge he got from the Games to change History. With that preset you not only learn about actual History, you also don't know what's going to happen next since he changes history. Very nice, leaves the question why the historical figures all had to become female, maybe because they didn't want to insult the actual historical figures, but then again there is Sengoku Basara... where Date Masamune is a leader of a delinquent gang riding horses that cosplay as motorcycles.. :p

I just want to quote this so it doesn't get lost. I wish this whole post could be ADTRW's title.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

I just want to quote this so it doesn't get lost. I wish this whole post could be ADTRW's title.

He does have a point, you know. In some corners of the internet, particularly on SA, there's a huge unreasonable hatred against anime. I mean sure, there's anime about 12000 year old vampires who look 12 and need to have sex with lonely japanese otaku to survive... But there's also absolutely fantastic stuff that shouldn't be missed because of it - it's basically Sturgeon's Law in action!
Imagine if the only NES game people knew about was Super Monkey Adventure and judged the entire medium of videogames based on that.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is if enjoying a show where a guy fights villains named AC/DC and Wham is wrong, I don't want to be right. :colbert:

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

victrix posted:

Ehhhh, you watched the wrong animes. Go watch Gundam, it's like the Japanese Star Wars.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

KoldPT posted:

I mean sure, there's anime about 12000 year old vampires who look 12 and need to have sex with lonely japanese otaku to survive...

Link please.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

elf help book posted:

Link please.

That's actually a gestalt of whatever ridiculous poo poo I end up reading about in the "anime airing this season" images. But here's :nws: a :nws: good example. But really, let's not derail this thread any more.

I've managed to accumulate 12 gigabytes of unwatched GCCX episodes, and that's not even counting the three DVDs from my disc set I have yet to watch. You guys are clearly translating this show too fast. :(

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Let's go ahead and squash this anime derail before it gets too creepy

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

KoldPT posted:

He does have a point, you know. In some corners of the internet, particularly on SA, there's a huge unreasonable hatred against anime.

The point isn't that all anime is poo poo, it's that no one cares about someone else's stupid anime opinion, especially when it goes into way too much detail completely unasked. In order to drag this back to GCCX, this reminds me of the segment where they show the Famicom mangas; I thought those were awesome as hell, does anyone know just how big of a market it (supposedly) was? From the few (two?) translated segments I've seen it seemed like they were not lacking for choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Katana Gomai posted:

In order to drag this back to GCCX, this reminds me of the segment where they show the Famicom mangas; I thought those were awesome as hell, does anyone know just how big of a market it (supposedly) was? From the few (two?) translated segments I've seen it seemed like they were not lacking for choice.

I imagine they were quite popular. Famicom Manga Comic Cafe is my favourite segment and I think all those comics are as fascinating as they are hilarious. There was even a comic called "Game Programmer Takeshi":

It's about a kid whose dad buys him a Famicom and Famicom BASIC but no games, so he has to teach himself to program his own games.

There were also lots of game walkthroughs in comic form. I found a gallery of cover art for them (these are mostly screenshots and guides but there are some comic pages): Page 1, Page 2

There's barely any inside scans uploaded unfortunately.