Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

What is this?

Tldr - Disney Skylanders

Reading!? Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Disney Infinity has you purchasing nostalgia infused figurines to use in two game modes: Playsets & Toybox. You put them on the ‘Infinity Base’ to use them in the game. You can use the figurines on other people’s games and consoles. You can also play online with them in the Toybox mode.

Playsets are their own self-contained games where only characters from their specific franchises can participate in. Ie - Only Sully & Mike figurines can be used to access the Monsters Inc portion of Disney Infinity. Playing through the Game Worlds for different franchises allows you to unlock items to use in Toybox mode. Apparently not every figurine will have a fully fleshed out world for them to be used in. Each playset apparently has around 6-8 hours of entertainment in it.

Toybox Mode is essentially Disney Little Big Planet. In this mode you are able to create a world or little games and share them online. Make a little racer, sidescroller etc. The drawcard of this feature is that you can use aesthetic features from other franchises and use your own figurines to play through it. Ie – Captain Jack Sparrow in a Tron Lightbike Race in Alice in Wonderland World. Because these are meant to be ‘toys’ of the characters, Disney said it’s okay for these characters to interact together. This is actually the pretty fun part of the game.

The Starter Pack will include three figurines, the game and the Portal of Power Infinity Base. You'll also have access to 3 Playsets - Monsters University, Pirates & The Incredibles. Additional Playsets will have to be purchased.

Confirmed
Wave 1
Mr Incredible, Helen/Elastagirl/Mrs Incredible, Violet, Dash, Syndrome (The Incredibles)
Captain Jack Sparrow, Captain Hector Barbossa, Davy Jones (Pirates of the Carribean)
Sully, Mike, Randy (Monsters Inc)
Tonto, Lone Ranger (Lone Ranger)
Lightning McQueen, Holley Shiftwell, Francesco Bernoulli, Mater (Cars)

Wave 2
Wreck-It-Ralph, Vanellope Von Schweetz (Wreck-It-Ralph)
Sorcerer Mickey (Fantasia)
Rapunzel (Tangled)
Jack Skellington (Nightmare Before Christmas)
Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Jesse (Toy Story)
Phineas Flynn, Perry the Platapus (Phineas & Ferb)
Anna, Elsa (Frozen)

Unconfirmed & Hopeful
SCROOGE MCDUCK (Ducktales) Maleficent, Aurora (Maleficent & Sleeping Beauty) Darkwing Duck (Darkwing Duck), Every single godamn Muppet (The Muppets), Chip, Dale, Gadget, Monterey Jack (Chip N Dale), Quorra, Tron, Sam Flynn (Tron Legacy) Hannah Montana (Hannah Montana), Merida (Brave), Ariel, Ursula, King Triton(The Little Mermaid), Nemo, Dory, Marlin (Finding Nemo), Belle, Beast, GASTON (Beauty & The Beast), Ferb (Phineas & Ferb), Dumbo (Dumbo), Princess Jasmin, Aladdin, Genie, Jaffar, Abu (Aladdin), Pocahontas (Pocahontas), Bolt, Mittens (Bolt), Lilo, Stich (Lilo & Stitch), Mabel & Dipper (Gravity Falls), Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Rabbit, Piglet (Winnie the Pooh), Alice (Alice in Wonderland), Mulan (Mulan), Robin Hood (Robin Hood), Fox & Hound (Fox & The Hound), Hercules, Hades (Hercules), Goofy, Pluto, Minnie, Donald Duck (Classic) Your Personal Childhood Disney Favourite (Nostalgia).

Disney has said they currently have no plans to include Star Wars or [s]Marvel properties. [/u]

UPDATE (9th April 2014): MARVEL SUPERHEROS ARE COMING TO DISNEY INFINITY 2.0

Confirmed Playsets
Pirates of the Caribbean
Monsters University
The Incredibles
Cars
Lone Ranger
Toy Story - IN SPACE

Other Crap
Wait, there’s more! You can also get ‘Power Disks’ to stack underneath your figurines in order to give them ingame powers, weapons or vehicles. Ie – The Dodos from Alice in Wonderland, Homing Missles from Cars, The Electric Mayhem bus from The Muppets(!!!) or the strength of Wreck It Ralph. The catch is you won't know what you're buying! So if you're 10 and under you can swap them with friends! If you're over 10, don't loiter around schools to try and swap these.

You’ll be able to play 2 Player offline and 4 Player online.

I’m sold! When can I buy this!?

It is out now.

DO NOT BUY THE WII OR 3DS VERSIONS AS THEY ARE TERRIBLE

The Starter Pack is around US$65 with figurines costing around $10-$15 each. Power Disk packs will cost $5 each.

Andrew_1985 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
More Figurine Information

You can already preorder most of the characters and the baseset.

Prices will vary depending on your locale, but they're around:

$15 per character
$30 for a triple pack
$80 for the Starter Kit
$40-50 for a new Playset with two figurines

Andrew_1985 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 1, 2013

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm so hype for Skylanders with characters I actually care about.

Edit: I really hope Perry the Platypus is overpowered.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 17, 2013

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
That looks really cool...will watch how development unfolds.

And i hope i'm not talking out of my rear end here, but any possibility they could use the Star Wars licence on this?

Would love to play as a little Darth Vader. :allears:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
At the moment they have said they have no plans to use any Star Wars or Marvel characters.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I was wondering if anyone was gonna start a thread about this. :) Great OP. What you have labeled as "Game Worlds" are actually officially called "Playsets", by the way. Also, here's a gallery of the first batch of screenshots if you want them for the OP: http://www.gamershell.com/xbox360/disney_infinity/screenshots.html

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 17, 2013

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Thanks y'all! I've changed it to Gamesets & put a few new screenshots in :)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This seems like a fun game for a demographic that isn't me. What is Skylanders like, for the uninitiated?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lord Lambeth posted:

This seems like a fun game for a demographic that isn't me. What is Skylanders like, for the uninitiated?

Like Diablo 3, but the gear you have to buy are seperate characters instead of using the Real Money Auction House to buy Equipment.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I would say Skylanders is like a slower Gauntlet Legends.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Man, I wish it was just a Smash Bros clone.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its almost insane to me how many Pixar characters there are in this but not that many Disney characters (yeah Disney owns Pixar but you know what I mean). Just a little insane, also it looks more interesting to me than Skylanders so I might check it out.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
If they're smart they'll be able to think of a way to goose up the gameplay. Right now Skylanders, like Fergus said, is basically just a slower Gauntlet Legends and that gets made boring.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This game seems like it would be cool if I was the father of a 4 year old child.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

ZackHoagie posted:

If they're smart they'll be able to think of a way to goose up the gameplay. Right now Skylanders, like Fergus said, is basically just a slower Gauntlet Legends and that gets made boring.

Apparently each Playset will have its own style of gameplay. Monsters Inc's University Playset will be focused on stealth and traps, while the Incredibles Playset will be a 3rd person action adventure.

Plus the Toybox mode will let you make and download various games people make - Ie Racing, platformers etc.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
More videos from the announce event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odHHJvt5puQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eSJxOBVYT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z1FLaRydXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbZ-X0bOxFo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djEIe_BqbeY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYnkt6exUF4

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
So, any word about Darkwing Duck? Or any of the Ducktails crew?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Oh lord Phineas looks terrifying :stare:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PonchAxis posted:

Its almost insane to me how many Pixar characters there are in this but not that many Disney characters (yeah Disney owns Pixar but you know what I mean). Just a little insane, also it looks more interesting to me than Skylanders so I might check it out.
Well I think the lack of Disney made characters mostly has to do with their previous two films before Wreck It Ralph were princess movies, that and most of the movies made in the late 80's to late 90's. I'd imagine that they would never have any of their princess characters in a battling game because of how protective they are of it. Allthough if they do wind up appearing I wouldn't be against it, a class based action game with Princesses is something that hasn't been done yet.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

BooDoug187 posted:

So, any word about Darkwing Duck? Or any of the Ducktails crew?

This is my big hope for the next set of Disney Infinity characters. Who wouldn't love Chip N' Dale or Launchpad McQuack? Disney could easily clean up with this game if they play their cards right.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Andrew_1985 posted:

This is my big hope for the next set of Disney Infinity characters. Who wouldn't love Chip N' Dale or Launchpad McQuack? Disney could easily clean up with this game if they play their cards right.
I think Tail Spin should take priority over anything else. If they're having the games be different with each world, an open world sandbox game with airplanes and other vehicles would be the best.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 18, 2013

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Andrew_1985 posted:

Do kids even know who these characters are any more?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Technocrat posted:

Chip N' Dale, at least, are pretty prominent at the theme parks/character breakfasts. The DuckTales/Darkwing guys, probably not, but what better way to add more sales by producing figures the parents/grandparents will get a nostalgia pull from?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Technocrat posted:

And that's the sad thing. Disney has a war chest of classic characters spanning decades, but this game will likely only see the ones attached to profitable franchises. I could totally get behind this game if it had a load of classic Disney characters, well known or otherwise, but as it stands now, Pixar Infinity doesn't do it for me. I mean, this is Disney Infinity, if the first thing you show isn't Mickey, it doesn't bode well.

If their smart, they could make DLC packs based on similar characters. I.E. The Afternoon Cartoons Pack, with Gummi Bears, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, etc. A Princesses & Heros Pack, Classic Disney Pack, Lesser Know Characters Pack.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Technocrat posted:

Probably not, but Chip'n'Dale or Darkwing Duck would sell like crazy to manchildren 20/30-something dads and uncles. There are enough Disney characters that this thing could have rabid consumeristic appeal to everyone if they played their cards right.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So what's the point of the figurines? Is it just an elaborate way to sell a shitload of superfluous garbage? I never knew much about Skylanders except that you also had to buy a lot of thingies to play it. Is this like just a toyset for kids, where there's a digital component to the action figures instead of using your imagination. I hate Disney and love all of their cartoons and movies as much as the next guy, but maybe I'm just too old for this to get excited??

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

Well I think the lack of Disney made characters mostly has to do with their previous two films before Wreck It Ralph were princess movies, that and most of the movies made in the late 80's to late 90's. I'd imagine that they would never have any of their princess characters in a battling game because of how protective they are of it. Allthough if they do wind up appearing I wouldn't be against it, a class based action game with Princesses is something that hasn't been done yet.

They're going to at least acknowledge it, Sully is holding a frying pan in the reveal trailer.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

So what's the point of the figurines? Is it just an elaborate way to sell a shitload of superfluous garbage? I never knew much about Skylanders except that you also had to buy a lot of thingies to play it. Is this like just a toyset for kids, where there's a digital component to the action figures instead of using your imagination. I hate Disney and love all of their cartoons and movies as much as the next guy, but maybe I'm just too old for this to get excited??

In a perfect world, that would be exactly the point: action figures you can play with without the game, that you can also plug into your Nintendo (bear with me) and have them pop up in a game. To a kid, that's like getting two toys in one, a cool new Jack Sparrow figure and a new guy for your favorite game.

The reality is a little more disappointing because the figurines don't seem very poseable or fun and the game probably won't be anything special. So yes, it's what you're saying. But I understand the potential behind the idea and kids apparently loving love Skylanders.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Internationally, the Ducktales crew is still pretty well-known by way of the Disney comics. Scrooge got his show because of those comics, and they're still doing well today. Not in the US so much, but in Europe and stuff. So it's possible Scrooge or Launchpad could show up.

Darkwing, the Rescue Rangers, etc, are a little less likely. But they're at least still existing in comic book form, too, so who knows.

This already looks way more interesting than Skylanders just by virtue of having that Toybox concept. I hope the playsets include content that's not necessarily built into the game as well, otherwise there probably won't be enough of them to do really interesting or crazy stuff with beyond a few combinations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Zombies' Downfall posted:

In a perfect world, that would be exactly the point: action figures you can play with without the game, that you can also plug into your Nintendo (bear with me) and have them pop up in a game. To a kid, that's like getting two toys in one, a cool new Jack Sparrow figure and a new guy for your favorite game.

The reality is a little more disappointing because the figurines don't seem very poseable or fun and the game probably won't be anything special. So yes, it's what you're saying. But I understand the potential behind the idea and kids apparently loving love Skylanders.

You'd be surprised. My little cousin has a shelf of Skylanders and he LOVES to show it off.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Oh god oh god could Gravity Falls characters show up in this?

Not like I would buy it anyway, but that would be cool. So cool.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Well Gravity Falls is a Disney property, so it is possible! It'd totes sell out ASAP.

But then again, so is Hannah Montana, right?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Keepin' my fingers crossed for Gizmoduck.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
So I found that someone has posted the entirety of the announce event here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACCy6tk-doQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJ35k3vM6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_UFOLfUHSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le40vGcdRMM

Particularly videos 3 and 4 have a broad run down of what the game is actually.

And I guess this is when I go full disclosure and admit that I'm an environment artist at Avalanche Software on the Toybox mode of Disney Infinity. Unfortunately, that's as much as I can say personally, so I wont be participating in the conversation at large. (Besides, threads NEVER go well when the "dev guy" comes in and tries to take over the conversation or whatever.) I'll try to keep a look out for useful info that's accurate and already public. :)

mutata fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 18, 2013

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

mutata posted:

And I guess this is when I go full disclosure and admit that I'm an environment artist at Avalanche Software on the Toybox mode of Disney Infinity. Unfortunately, that's as much as I can say personally, so I wont be participating in the conversation at large, but I'll try to keep a look out for useful info that's accurate and already public. :)

Oh wow! That's awesome, mutata! I'm sure we'd always love some information as long as it won't get you into trouble at work.

Cuhullin
Feb 12, 2012
Scrooge McDuck's vault spotted in the tech demo presentation, so hopefully that increases the odds of more Duck Tails stuff. Also they mentioned protecting Snow White in the toy box mode and had Cinderella's carriage as a vehicle, so looks like princess will be involved but maybe not as playable figures. However Merida and the world of Brave would work really well.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
http://chadliddell.tumblr.com/post/40743804114/phew-the-disney-infinity-announce-event-is-in

Here's a tumblr post by Chad Liddell, one of the lead designers on the Toybox mode. He gives his opinion on the game announce and shares his reaction to some of the press so far. I work with him everyday and he cares a whole lot about making this game fun for everyone.

In any case, there's also a photo of a flat grey near-final prototype of the Jack Sparrow toy so you can check out the detail.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I would choke a hobo for some Gargoyles figures.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I would choke a hobo for some Gargoyles figures.

Your request has been relayed.

Here's an official info sheet that gives a bit more details:

PRODUCT OVERVIEW:
In Disney's most ambitious video game initiative ever, Disney Infinity introduces an all-new game universe where a spark of imagination unlocks a fantastical world where players have unprecedented freedom and endless opportunity to create stories and play experiences starring the beloved characters from Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios’ most popular franchises.

For the first time, players will place real-world interactive figures – characters, power discs and Play Set pieces – on a device called the "Disney Infinity Base" to activate original, story-driven adventures in the game worlds, also known as “Play Sets,” of "Monsters University," "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "The Incredibles." In each respective ”Play Set,” players will take on the role of a variety of popular characters including Sulley, the naturally gifted scarer; Captain Jack Sparrow, the sword-wielding double crosser; and Mr. Incredible, one of the world's greatest crime-fighters, and battle enemies, solve challenging puzzles, overcome obstacles and complete a variety of other unique quests.

As players advance through each adventure, they will collect characters, vehicles, upgrades, gadgets and more which they can save to a virtual "Toy Box." At any time, players can access their personal "Toy Box" and use the items to create one-of-a-kind Disney adventures featuring any combination of characters, environments and items across all franchises. The possibilities are endless and players are only limited by their imaginations.

KEY FEATURES:
• Unprecedented Creative Play – Featuring a virtual "Toy Box" and a vast open world environment, players can create their own stories and customize their adventures combining characters, environments, gadgets, vehicles and more. The possibilities are truly infinite as Disney will add new additions from the company's vast library of entertainment properties.

• Infinite Storyline Possibilities – Disney prides itself on its storytelling culture and for the first time ever, Disney Infinity will put the story creation into the hands of consumers. Players will be able to create their own adventures in an open-world environment and will give players unprecedented freedom for creative play.

• Multiple Franchises Across All Platforms – Disney Infinity introduces an all-new universe, featuring a toy-inspired art style where multiple Disney franchises and characters can exist and interact in one game and across Xbox360, PS3, Wii, Wii-U, PC and online, as well as on smart devices including tablets and mobile phones.

• Interactive Figures Activate In-Game Adventures and Customizations – Disney Infinity will initially introduce a line of 40 collectible interactive figures - characters, Play Set pieces and power discs - that allow players to expand and customize their play experiences. Over time, Disney Infinity will release additional characters and “Play Sets” and this platform will constantly evolve.
• 17 interactive character figures allow players to experience a variety of their favorite characters in each ”Play Set” and in "Toy Box" play
• 3 Play Set pieces that add new Disney and Disney•Pixar “Play Set” locations (each play set will have 1 location piece and 2 characters. only the starter pack location piece has 3 locations combined into 1 piece)
• 20 power discs enhance environments, add gadgets and more

• Co-op Multiplayer Action – Disney Infinity supports 2 player co-op play in structured adventures and up to 4 players in "Toy Box" mode.

Publisher: Disney Interactive

Developer: Avalanche Software

Release Date: June 2013

Platforms: Nintendo Wii™ and Nintendo Wii-U, Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, PC, as well as an accompanying mobile experience.

Genre: Action/Adventure

Pricing: Starter Pack: $74.99
Play Set Pack: $34.99
Disney Infinity Figure: $12.99
Figure 3-Pack: $29.99
Power Disc Pack: $4.99

ESRB Rating: This game is not yet rated by the ESRB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Khanstant posted:

The figures basically act as ways to unlock additional content which will be on the disc itself. There's been some controversy and debate in the video game blogs as to the fact that the producer of the game pointed out the fact that Disney plans to release a new Disney Infinity game every year, with each game disc containing the resources for the next planned 12 months of toy releases, and the fact that it's basically the equivalent of on-disc DLC, with the additional risk on Disney's end that the company plans to tie in Infinity with upcoming film releases by releasing the toys that will unlock their worlds on the exact same day the film is released in theaters, which means that resourceful hackers may be able to discover movie spoilers that weren't intended to come out beforehand.

I think it's a double-edged sword. Vignocchi is right in that Skylanders works on basically the same "new figures=on-disc DLC" model and that even in this day and age not all of the households that would be interested in a product like this have the resources to make the figures work as triggers to download updates online as of yet. At the same time, the people who are complaining about this fact would probably be the sort who are against the entire concept in general. Disney's video game division has been losing money for months, and this is their Hail Mary pass to turn it around. They seem to be putting all their effort into the Infinity concept: they're giving their IPs to other developers (Majesco recently announced that they've been granted the Phineas and Ferb license), and shutting down the rest of their operations (as I type this, a rumor is going around that Junction Point, the makers of Epic Mickey, have been shut down).

Disney will no doubt make a lot of money off of this, which is what they intended to do in the first place. Disney has always been about cross-promotion and getting people to spend as much money on their products as possible, but nine times out of ten they usually craft their products so well that people can look past that (if they even notice it at all). If they end up making a good game (or games, since each of the playsets seems to have its own unique form of play) as well, they'll probably end up doing what they planned to do even better than they expected.

• Locked thread