Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is my sole problem with reclassing also. It's less interesting when Haar is no longer Haar, badass Wyvern Lord, but instead Haar general amorphous badass who I should probably reclass repeatedly. I liked it more when class was integral to character.

How is being an all around badass worse than being badass in one particular thing? I think if you need to be in a single class to have your character intact, you were already pretty terrible to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

This will be my first Fire Emblem game because I was always turned off by stupid perma-death and now with the option to be rid of that, I am interested to play.

That said, I have a question: What exactly are the key differences between classes? From what I have seen there is no class specific abilities, you just walk beside dude and swing. If any given class can use the same weapon as another class, why should I pick one over the other? I assume mounted/flying classes move further and some stats might be different but other than that I am clueless.

Example that specifically I wonder about is that your My Unit class is good with swords and spells, but so is the dark knight class, why one over the other?
1: They do learn different skills and do have class specific abilities. You can find a list of these here.

2: Classes have different stat caps.

3: The characters themselves are different, even if they're in the exact same class. Let me make an example using an earlier game, FE7.

These are Lowen's average stats, per level. As you can see, his strength, skill, and speed are all middling, almost to the point of being bad. However, his HP and defense are high, and his luck is pretty good too. These are all fairly defensive stats. Lowen, in other words, is a very tanky unit with mediocre offensive abilities. Being a cavalier, this makes him useful at quickly getting to places and starting a defense there - he doesn't have to worry about dying much, unless mages get involved or he's facing an absolute horde of enemies.

These are Sain's average stats, per level.. Sain's got a ton of STR, mediocre everything else. He does one thing, hitting dudes, and he does it well. He's got just enough bulk to him to not be frail, though he won't stand up to a ton of extended hits. Sain, in other words, is good for taking out key targets or setting up tanky units to be killed by someone else.

Sain and Lowen are both cavaliers. They both promote into paladins. They're the exact same class, use the exact same weapons, but they perform two very different roles due to their stat growths and base stats.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Momomo posted:

How is being an all around badass worse than being badass in one particular thing? I think if you need to be in a single class to have your character intact, you were already pretty terrible to begin with.

It's mostly a question of the unit's character being reflected in their class: Pent, the studious, erudite Magician General was a Sage. Karel, who lived to test his swordmanship against the most dangerous fos was a swordmaster. Asthol the spy was a thief.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Paper_Masochist posted:

I really gotta recommend against the bundle. The design on the outside of that 3DS rocks so much so that I imported the Japanese one and voided my warranty to replace the shell but the XL is just so much better.

Plus if you get an XL now you can get the really surprisingly good SRPG, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon:Shadow Wars to tide you over.

Look, I get that some people are bizarre and think the XL is great, but it is absolutely not so incredible that buying the FE Bundle is a mistake. That's just incorrect.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

It's mostly a question of the unit's character being reflected in their class: Pent, the studious, erudite Magician General was a Sage. Karel, who lived to test his swordmanship against the most dangerous fos was a swordmaster. Asthol the spy was a thief.

Thing is though, Fire Emblem is generally pretty lax about character roles in the story. A band of assassins aren't entirely the Assassin class, Pirates are thieves even though they aren't the thief class, the General is only a name, etc. Just think of it as the character adapting to the situation, it's not as if they were never their original class.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
EDIT: Nevermind, took too long.

Plutonis posted:

It's a real bummer that the 3DS bundle is for US and Canada only. I live in Brazil and was waiting for it to be announced on the West before i could buy a 3DS since i fell in love with the Japanese bundle when i first saw it. Oh well, might as well just prebuy the normal game and look for a cheap XL somewhere else. :smith:

Hey there, South American buddy. :smith::respek::smith:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Momomo posted:

Thing is though, Fire Emblem is generally pretty lax about character roles in the story. A band of assassins aren't entirely the Assassin class, Pirates are thieves even though they aren't the thief class, the General is only a name, etc. Just think of it as the character adapting to the situation, it's not as if they were never their original class.

I hear you. But certain characters only make sense in a certain class, or category of classes. And yes, the general's name always bugged me. I think Karla in FE7 poked fun at that, too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Social Knights. :v:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghNE5wZqkoQ

Basic info about support systems and Pair Up.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Iceclaw posted:

I hear you. But certain characters only make sense in a certain class, or category of classes. And yes, the general's name always bugged me. I think Karla in FE7 poked fun at that, too.

If it's anything like FE12, that will probably still be the case due to base stat growths. Most mage and physical characters were incompatible with the other group's classes due to lovely STR/MAG growth, although you did have oddities like a mage character having the highest defense growth in the entire game when reclassed to general. Apparently IS thought it would be simpler to give every single mage above-average base defense growths instead than to change class growth modifiers.

But yeah, FE is a bit...loose with class names. Everyone's a Soldier, but some are Warriors and others are Thieves who aren't really thieves because they totally swore off that poo poo. Some Cavaliers have been Knighted but aren't really Knights, and just about every doorman is a General (who is actually the Colonel's second).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
My personal favorite is the 50-some barons over the course of FE4/5. Jugdral's nobility just got a lot more exclusive.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I think one important distinction to make about Awakening's class change system is that each character can only class change into a limited set of classes based on their personality. For example, one character's gimmick is that he has an incredible lack of presence. He can class change into a thief.

edit: yeah well balls to her
vvvv

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 17, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

I think one important distinction to make about Awakening's class change system is that each character can only class change into a limited set of classes based on their personality. For example, one character's gimmick is that he has an incredible lack of presence. He can class change into a thief.

On the other hand Sumia can change into a Knight but she can barely walk normally without tripping over her own feet, let alone in giant hulking armor.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Famitsu has compiled a list of the 100 most sold games in Japan 2012. Everyone's favorite Fire Emblem grabs place number 14, with 453,672 copies sold. Source.
Let's make sure we beat that. :black101:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Iceclaw posted:

Stat caps. Different classes have different caps for various stats. Some are speedier, other hit harder. Also, the tactician only class starts out as a physical unit, with presumably higher strength and lower magic stats as well as caps, while the Dark Knight is a promotion from mage. Also, the Dark Knight is a mounted unit, which give certain benefits (move farther, can remove after acting), and drawback (severely handicapped movement on certain grounds, vulnerability certain weapons). Considering the importance of stats in that game, it's not a minor thing.

Speaking of stat caps, how do they work with reclassing? If you have a unit with a natural 25 Strength, then reclass to a class with a cap of 20 Strength, what happens?

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

Sain's got a ton of STR, mediocre everything else. He does one thing, hitting dudes, and he does it well. He's got just enough bulk to him to not be frail, though he won't stand up to a ton of extended hits. Sain, in other words, is good for taking out key targets or setting up tanky units to be killed by someone else.

And then there's that wonderful time where he decides to be speed-blessed and starts doubling everything, pretty much turning him into a wrecking ball on a horse. :allears:

I can't wait to find out which cavalier becomes the wrecking ball in Awakening!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Demo is up (Canada) go wild :supaburn:

edit: Classic version not available in demo version what the poo poo is this NoA.

edit2: aw shucks the character creator is completely gimped in the demo. Only default male is available.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 17, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nibble posted:

Speaking of stat caps, how do they work with reclassing? If you have a unit with a natural 25 Strength, then reclass to a class with a cap of 20 Strength, what happens?
It goes down to 20 strength, but it keeps the 25 strength 'stored.' If you reclass back to their old class, they'll have 25 strength again. Since the strength is capped in their new class, however, they won't be able to gain any str while it's capped.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

That's actually pretty nifty.
The next few months are going to be pretty rough until Awakening is released in Europe.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

RuBisCO posted:

Demo is up (Canada) go wild :supaburn:

Demo is up in the US now too.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Endorph posted:

It goes down to 20 strength, but it keeps the 25 strength 'stored.' If you reclass back to their old class, they'll have 25 strength again. Since the strength is capped in their new class, however, they won't be able to gain any str while it's capped.

Thanks. That sounds ideal, since it means you can't lose anything by reclassing, but also means you can't grind out a super-unit with the capped Strength of a Warrior, Defense of a General, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Female MyUnit not available in the demo version. Thanks, FE13.

EDIT: Also you can't customize his appearance any.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, of course not. It's gotta tease you, draw you in, entice you, so you'll buy the full version...

then slam its jaws down on you with a 10% hit 1% crit. :unsmigghh:

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that they didn't include any customization in the demo, but it's probably to keep the download as small as possible.

Also, the very first enemy attack critted and killed Lissa. So yes, it's still Fire Emblem, and I'm still bad at it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I would love it if all level ups in the demo are amazing across the board.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I'm like 90% sure the default Male Avatar voice is Johnny Young Bosch. Laws of anime dubs maintained.

EDIT: Staff EXP is a lot higher, also Lissa just got a perfect level, gently caress you too demo.

EDIT2: If you get a game over you have to start the entire thing over. :shepface:

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 17, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Demo ends after Chapter 1.

Tried it out on Hard mode, looks pretty good in terms of difficulty balance, at least from what I gathered. Definitely couldn't blindly rush in and enemies actually rushed you instead of standing place until you entered their range.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well, I wasn't going to but I had a few games I wanted to get rid of and one trip to Gamestop later, I'm ~$140 poorer. :shepface: At least I can make some of that back by selling my original 3DS afterwards.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
It took longer to download the demo that to play through it. I skipped the cutscenes though.

You sure Chrom is voiced by Troy Baker? I'm not hearing it. I'm 100% sure that Lissa is Kate Higgins though.

Is it normal to put play limits on demos now? :psyduck:

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My first demo excursion was fruitful, Robin got HP/Luck and Lissa got a perfect level minus defense.

25 exp for healing seems really nice so far.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

So on top of the localizations that have already been announced elsewhere, from picking up event tile weapons on a couple quick runs through the demo, it looks like Inverse is now Aversa and Celice is Seliph.

Also seems that either the NA version has messed with growths a bit or Serenes is just wrong. Went with the default +HP -Luck MU setup on one of those runs, which according to Serenes would give him a 95% HP growth, yet he got two levels in a row with +2 HP.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Shiny777 posted:

So on top of the localizations that have already been announced elsewhere, from picking up event tile weapons on a couple quick runs through the demo, it looks like Inverse is now Aversa and Celice is Seliph.
Leaf is also Leif, Fin/Finn is now just Finn, Othin is Orsin, and Katarina's name wasn't changed.

EDIT: And Chris -> Kris (default name for My Unit in FE12). This is just going from random item names people have found in the demo that are named after various characters.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 17, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Eugh, I don't really like the way spoken versus text dialogue works in this. They basically just make a sound or say a word that sums up the entirety of what they're actually saying so it sounds pretty annoying. "Huh?" "Yeh!" "Explain." "What?!"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Eugh, I don't really like the way spoken versus text dialogue works in this. They basically just make a sound or say a word that sums up the entirety of what they're actually saying so it sounds pretty annoying. "Huh?" "Yeh!" "Explain." "What?!"

You can disable them, I've been told.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've never noticed their stubby little feet until now. Shouldn't have played the demo because I want this right now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yeah, a lot of "anime" games do this and it's kind of annoying. Unlike others though, there's an option to make them shut the hell up.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Terper posted:

You can disable them, I've been told.

Momomo posted:

Yeah, a lot of "anime" games do this and it's kind of annoying. Unlike others though, there's an option to make them shut the hell up.

Ah, great! The voice acting isn't bad for the actually-voiced parts, but it's really...weird.

Speaking about voices, who does Marth's? From what little I heard, his voice actor has to be female. That's a ladyvoice and no mistake.

Marogareh posted:

I've never noticed their stubby little feet until now. Shouldn't have played the demo because I want this right now.

Yeah, the art style is kind of weird to me too. Everyone's feet looks really small and their arms seem a bit too long.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the difference on the difficultly in the demo? I know this Fire Emblem has a easy mode where permadeath is turned off, but in the demo it's only Normal, Hard, and Insanity.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Rirse posted:

What the difference on the difficultly in the demo? I know this Fire Emblem has a easy mode where permadeath is turned off, but in the demo it's only Normal, Hard, and Insanity.
Permadeath is irrespective of difficulty. You can play Casual even on Insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rirse posted:

Casual mode turns off permadeath and is separate from the actual difficult. I haven't played the demo yet, so I don't know if that's available.

• Locked thread