Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, no, the permadeath thing and the difficulty are two seperate options. After you pick your difficulty you'll get a Casual/Classic option, Classic is Permadeath and Casual is Final Fantasy Tactics style rez at the end of battle. The demo's locked into casual mode, by the by.

Also no idea on any of the VAs besides Troy Baker and Kate Higgins. I can make guesses, but Troy Baker is the only one I've seen confirmed and Kate Higgins's voice is way too distinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Artix74 posted:

Casual mode turns off permadeath and is separate from the actual difficult. I haven't played the demo yet, so I don't know if that's available.

Casual is actually required in the demo. Since the demo is two stages (Prologue and Stage 1) it probably won't make a difference, though.

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
The demo just makes me want the game more, and I've already tried it on all 3 difficulties! Lunatic mode is crazy hard, first time through my Avatar (+def -skl) died on turn 2. And the second time I got to the boss and he crit Chrom off of 53% hit and about 6% crit chance! :shepface:

EDIT: Tried a third time and guess what happens when I was clearing out the last bandit in the initial rush? If you guessed "my Avatar taking a 5% crit to the face" you're absolutely right! :shepicide:

ultimateluigi987 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 17, 2013

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Ahaha, Chrom just pulled a 1% crit out of his rear end and then got everything but Magic and Res in the level it gave him. I can tell we're gonna get along just fine :allears:

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Artix74 posted:

Casual mode turns off permadeath and is separate from the actual difficult. I haven't played the demo yet, so I don't know if that's available.

The demo only allows casual mode. The permadeath mode is disabled along with any avatar customization.

The game is so drat pretty, and the demo is so drat short. My only FE game so far is my ambassador copy of sacred stones, so I am really looking forward to this game.

MMania
May 7, 2008
So apparently I can only play the demo... 30 times? That doesn't make any kind of sense to me, but whatever.

drat this game looks slick, I might actually play with combat animations on for the first time in years. The FMVs are breathtaking, basically everything other than the overly-simplified map sprites look simply amazing.

Lissa jumped in front of an attack on my archer and blocked it, that was definitely the highlight of my first play through. I'm guessing it's just a % chance to nullify an attack, happened a few times and it was always a "miss." The support system in general has had a much needed face-lift, the little hearts popping up showing friendship gains and the "you rock" shout that gives you bonuses are all superbly executed.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

I got my first empty level and the character's comment was "Someone has to maintain the status quo."

I feel that is the best possible response to an empty level.

That loving rules. God I am so excited for this game.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

My personal favorite is the 50-some barons over the course of FE4/5. Jugdral's nobility just got a lot more exclusive.

Yep, like all those nobilities of wizard descent, who carry 5 pound tomes and an additional 100 pounds of armor.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Speaking about voices, who does Marth's? From what little I heard, his voice actor has to be female. That's a ladyvoice and no mistake.
I'd heard Laura Bailey, but I haven't had a chance to hear it myself.

I don't think anyone's 100% certain on Chrom yet.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Oh man, I shouldn't have downloaded the demo, now I just want the game even more.

So apparently you can't use the pair up mechanic in the demo? Or is it like this in the full game, and you can't use it until later chapters? Guess I can't just drop Frederick onto other characters for hilarious stat boosts yet.

Also, first time through and Robin and Chrom both get near perfect levels every time.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Alacron posted:

Oh man, I shouldn't have downloaded the demo, now I just want the game even more.

So apparently you can't use the pair up mechanic in the demo? Or is it like this in the full game, and you can't use it until later chapters? Guess I can't just drop Frederick onto other characters for hilarious stat boosts yet.

Also, first time through and Robin and Chrom both get near perfect levels every time.

What difficulty were you playing on? Because I ran through it on hard and could pair up from the get-go.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Bummed that I can't dick around with character customization in the demo, but then again it's not like I wasn't gonna buy this game anyway.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Most anticipated unreleased game localization:

...He's still Sigurd.

(Also Gaia is Gaius)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alacron posted:

Disable tutorials, and you can use Pair Up.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Chic Trombone posted:

What difficulty were you playing on? Because I ran through it on hard and could pair up from the get-go.

Well, I've only played once on Normal so far, so I guess I'll try again on hard.

Fake edit:

Terper posted:

Disable tutorials, and you can use Pair Up.

Okay thanks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MMania posted:

So apparently I can only play the demo... 30 times? That doesn't make any kind of sense to me, but whatever.

drat this game looks slick, I might actually play with combat animations on for the first time in years. The FMVs are breathtaking, basically everything other than the overly-simplified map sprites look simply amazing.

Lissa jumped in front of an attack on my archer and blocked it, that was definitely the highlight of my first play through. I'm guessing it's just a % chance to nullify an attack, happened a few times and it was always a "miss." The support system in general has had a much needed face-lift, the little hearts popping up showing friendship gains and the "you rock" shout that gives you bonuses are all superbly executed.
When you attack (in classic-style attack overview, no idea how it displays in the useless new attack summary), in the bottom right corner are some percentages next to a sword and shield. The sword is the % chance of getting a dual attack, and the shield is the % chance of getting a dual guard, which as you guessed negates all damage. Dual attack chance is based on support level and the skill of the two characters; dual guard chance is based on support level and the def/res of the two characters.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I've seen people do some movement trickery with the Pair Up mechanic. Something like you pick up one guy with someone, then have another guy go over and transfer the first guy to the 3rd guy, and when you drop the first guy off he still gets to move.

I really wish Shove came back as an action/skill though.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

After playing the demo on hard I don't think there's much of a chance I play the full game on lunatic. At least not in classic mode.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Oh god, i'm slapping my vein. The demo just brought the shakes back.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Holy crap the FMVs are amazing. I regret playing the demo, February 4th is too far away.

e: Sully owns, she's on the roster when the game comes out.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 17, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I could tell Sully was going to own from word go. Glad to see I wasn't wrong.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
I hammered through Lunatic map 1 by throwing Frederick at everything, pretty much. No one else is safe against more than one counterattack, and he does just enough damage to axeguys that Krom and Avatar can take the kill XP.

Krom and Frederick joined-up is fun, a lot of damage bounces right off Krom that way. I just wish my units had enough speed to double.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
"I like Fire Emblem, but I wish more of the information about game mechanics was hidden from the player," said no one, ever.

As far as I can tell support bonuses are completely hidden unless you leave animations on. And as always, what effect if any weapon skill has on your stats is hidden even though it changes nearly every single game. I want to see what skills do without using the stylus, but I guess that's not possible either.

As for the rest, well. I know Fire Emblem has always been anime as gently caress, but it had a kind of 80s throwback charm to it. This pandering moé bullshit can die in a fire.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
So, I was planning to Ironman this game when I get it.

The second stage of the demo killed the healer chick. This is going to be a wild ride. :getin:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Francis posted:

"I like Fire Emblem, but I wish more of the information about game mechanics was hidden from the player," said no one, ever.

As far as I can tell support bonuses are completely hidden unless you leave animations on. And as always, what effect if any weapon skill has on your stats is hidden even though it changes nearly every single game. I want to see what skills do without using the stylus, but I guess that's not possible either.

As for the rest, well. I know Fire Emblem has always been anime as gently caress, but it had a kind of 80s throwback charm to it. This pandering moé bullshit can die in a fire.

I can understand this sentiment. It'd be nice if there was an exhaustive "manual" or "guidebook" that you could access from the main menu or the map that explained some of the more important stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Francis posted:

What

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SpaceDrake posted:

I can legitimately not tell if this is sarcasm or not. :v:

(Man, they changed Krom to Chrom probably to avoid legal action from the Doyle estate, how the hell did Nintendo Legal think Grima would pass muster?)

Not joking. I genuinely love it! It just sounds so awesome!

Shiny777 posted:

So on top of the localizations that have already been announced elsewhere, from picking up event tile weapons on a couple quick runs through the demo, it looks like Inverse is now Aversa and Celice is Seliph.

Also seems that either the NA version has messed with growths a bit or Serenes is just wrong. Went with the default +HP -Luck MU setup on one of those runs, which according to Serenes would give him a 95% HP growth, yet he got two levels in a row with +2 HP.

I asked about it on Serenes Forest, and I got confirmation: The growth rates are changed in the NA version. The EU version will likely use the NA growths as well.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Folt The Bolt posted:

I asked about it on Serenes Forest, and I got confirmation: The growth rates are changed in the NA version. The EU version will likely use the NA growths as well.
Changed how?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

???

The artstyle's different but the writing seems just about exactly the same.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Francis posted:

Chrom-chan is so kawaii, uguu~

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Don't get me wrong. I think the art style in this game is kind of bad and Nono is kind of awful but

Pandering moe bullshit?

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Chrom-chan is so kawaii, uguu~

Yeah unfortunately this isn't new to the series at all, Holy Generation was alot worse when it comes to what your talking about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean of the female characters in the demo Liz is a very toned-down Serra and Sully is basically Vaida: The Early Years.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

Changed how?

You can't get +2 HP as a Strategist in the JP, even if you pick HP as best stat. This has changed in the NA version, so that means Avatar's HP growth was increased by at least 10%.

Francis posted:

Err, even if the artstyle's more unrealistic and anime than I can ever remember, I don't think it's pandering to the moe enthusiasts...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The characters are definitely a little more stereotypical this time around. People like Sumia and Tharja (Sariya) are characters you normally wouldn't see in Fire Emblem in this context.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Apparently the demo has a bug that crashes the game--if you obtain Leif's sword from an event tile, and kill an enemy with it, the game tries to give you a bullion. But bullions aren't in the demo, so it just crashes.

Watch out for that I guess.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I mean that I get a really skeevy vibe from the first-person 3DCG, especially when blushing is involved.

Also the random item pickups are crazy unbalanced and I wish they were disabled/normalized on Lunatic/Insane. When you get a brave weapon or a weapon with +50 acc/avoid in the prologue all challenge goes out the window.

vvvvv

edit: yeah, I'm speculating a bit. The ranks tend to be quite low though (C) and even out of the gate you can throw Frederick some broken toys and stomp all over Lunatic.

Francis fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 17, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Francis posted:

I mean that I get a really skeevy vibe from the first-person 3DCG, especially when blushing is involved.

Also the random item pickups are crazy unbalanced and I wish they were disabled/normalized on Lunatic/Insane. When you get a brave weapon or a weapon with +50 acc/avoid in the prologue all challenge goes out the window.

I think you have to get the requisite weapon rank first before you can use the aforementioned brave or +50 acc/avoid weapons though.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
Oh god I just finished the demo and I'm absolutely looking forward to this now. The adjacency support bonuses seem like they'll be incredibly useful. My Unit and Yuri Lowell best protagonist all protagonists Chrom are gonna be best buddies. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone earlier said you can get the old style battle prediction screen back somehow?

• Locked thread