Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Omniphile posted:

Still struggling through Lunatic Ch. 1 though.

I managed to finish Chapter 1, but it requires Frederick to proc speed and preferably strength on level up.

Give Fred Avatar's Bronze Sword and pair Chrom with Fred. With the Silver Lance equipped, put Fred in range of the nearby barbarian and merc. Keep the others out of range. On turn two move Fred to the upper fort, equip the bronze sword and use Chrom's Vulnerary. Finish off the mercenary that Frederick weakened with Avatar at the edge of the archer's range supported by (but not paired up with) Sully. Make sure everyone is out of range of the lower merc. If Fred has leveled up and gained strength he will 1RKO all the barbarians, if not, hopefully he gained speed or else you won't be able to 1RKO the boss and things will get really messy in a couple turns. Have Fred finish off the archer within range of the boss and mercenary and keep everyone else out of the way. Next turn, if Fred has 14 Strength and 11 Speed he can kill the boss with his silver lance. If he doesn't have the strength you can finish it off with someone else but if Fred doesn't have the speed he can't double so hopefully you can at least proc a support attack or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Is there any sort of penalty to playing Casual? Is it like FE12 where the character becomes unusable for the rest of chapter and loses any level-ups they might've gotten? Does it affect their ending dialogue or your ending stats in any way?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Eddain posted:

Is there any sort of penalty to playing Casual? Is it like FE12 where the character becomes unusable for the rest of chapter and loses any level-ups they might've gotten? Does it affect their ending dialogue or your ending stats in any way?

There is no penalty (aside from the unit leaving for the rest of the match). The only thing that you'll miss out on are character specific death quotes, which, whatever.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 18, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Also, as much as there's talk about Nintendo going all out in advertisement for this (and it is getting fairly wide, the new GameInformer apparently has four solid pages of ads for FE:A), I'm still amused by the fact that the official website for FE:A is still this and that there's zero mention of Awakening, or even Shadow Dragon, on https://www.fire-emblem.com when we're a hair over two weeks out from this thing. Did they just not bother having the web team do anything for it? Like not even bother converting the Japanese site over?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Anyone know if reinforcements move and attack the same turn they enter the field like in FE12? That poo poo pissed me off so much with those bullshit 30 Attack, 12 move, flying dragons.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, as much as there's talk about Nintendo going all out in advertisement for this (and it is getting fairly wide, the new GameInformer apparently has four solid pages of ads for FE:A), I'm still amused by the fact that the official website for FE:A is still this and that there's zero mention of Awakening, or even Shadow Dragon, on https://www.fire-emblem.com when we're a hair over two weeks out from this thing. Did they just not bother having the web team do anything for it? Like not even bother converting the Japanese site over?

The nintendo.com address used to be a Shadow Dragon site, but in the last couple weeks they just deleted everything and replaced it with the Awakening site. I noticed when I went looking around for the Sakurai Asks interview that was on there and had to dig it up in google cache.

I'm thinking they haven't even remembered they own that other one.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
gently caress, I want to play this so bad.

There is no way to trick my 3DS into thinking I'm in the US, is there?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That's usually in the realm of :filez:, so google might help you more than this board.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dunban posted:

gently caress, I want to play this so bad.

There is no way to trick my 3DS into thinking I'm in the US, is there?

Sadly no. We're all on pins and needles though waiting for a day when we can do that though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Casual seems like it would completely neuter boss battles of their challenge. But hey, that's just a reason I won't play using it, I still think it's a neat addition.

I played the demo before going to sleep last night, and this looks really good. It captures the charm and energy that the two DS games were seriously lacking. I'm gonna have so much fun constantly fiddling with the camera angle in battle.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Eddain posted:

Anyone know if reinforcements move and attack the same turn they enter the field like in FE12? That poo poo pissed me off so much with those bullshit 30 Attack, 12 move, flying dragons.
Not on lower difficulties, but I've heard that they do on Lunatic.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Regy Rusty posted:

Casual seems like it would completely neuter boss battles of their challenge. But hey, that's just a reason I won't play using it, I still think it's a neat addition.

Boss battles are supposed to be challenging? As far as I'm aware it's usually one idiot who's almost certainly weak to armorslayers standing in one spot with some lovely throwing spear and a shittier speed score.

I've always had a harder time with reinforcements -- especially when they get to act when they spawn -- and huge rushes. You're right that casual is too easy, though. Making it challenging would require modifying maps slightly so that the entire enemy force rushes you immediately and reinforcements spawn sooner and quicker.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Thanks to my totally awesome friends, I now have a 3DS XL, and downloaded and played the demo.

My god, this game is beautiful. Everything is so crisp and pretty, the FMVs are staggeringly well done, and my god I cannot wait for February 4th. Going to try Hard and then Lunatic later (Normal was almost disappointingly easy, no one ever took more than 4 damage a hit).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

theshim posted:

Thanks to my totally awesome friends, I now have a 3DS XL, and downloaded and played the demo.

My god, this game is beautiful. Everything is so crisp and pretty, the FMVs are staggeringly well done, and my god I cannot wait for February 4th. Going to try Hard and then Lunatic later (Normal was almost disappointingly easy, no one ever took more than 4 damage a hit).

High fives brother, I got my XL for this too and I was totally sold by the demo. The whole thing just screams 'polish' to me. It's been said a hundred times in the last few pages but yeah, Feb 4 can't come soon enough.

I've decided based on the demo that Lunatic or whatever the top difficulty is far too high for me but Hard seems like it might present a challenge. Normal is way too easy I agree. I will be playing Casual for sure though. I'm one of those who likes FE in spite of permadeath, not because so that works out well for me.

I read a bit ago they changed growths for the western release; do we know what was changed exactly?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Now if only everyone didn't have weird stumpy hoof feet in this game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think that says a lot about the game so far though - that of all the things that could be wrong that's what we're all on right now. It's an odd art style to be sure but in the scheme of things I don't think anyone will really notice a few maps in.

Goddamn it I want the game now.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Just pretend everyone is a satyr.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Fire Emblem:Awakening - What is wrong with their feet?

I really like how you can pair up your crutch character with your healer for more defense.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I feel this is the first game that I will actually use all 30 demo uses for. This plus Etrian Odyssey 4 is going to make February a very good month.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The art style definitely reminds me of Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Thread title too subtle?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

The art style definitely reminds me of Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song.

Yeah, that's what struck me too.

I know that stat talk is usually met with "That's Fire Emblem! :v:" but the growths really do feel huge in this game. I'm finished my fifth playthrough on Hard and the least anyone gained was 3 stats and I had more 6-7 stat ups than not. I haven't seen the +2 HP others have talked about and so far my best run for the MU was Mag good Res bad. I had some hilarious moments of Pair Up'ing Chrom and MU and watching them quad attack everything once they got up to 9 SPD, bosses included.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
My first level up in the demo had my character gain in all but 2 stats with a +2 to HP

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Maybe that's for the demo? Anyway, as long as whathever you face is strong enough and the formulas stay readable, I don't really care.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Levantine posted:

I know that stat talk is usually met with "That's Fire Emblem! :v:" but the growths really do feel huge in this game. I'm finished my fifth playthrough on Hard and the least anyone gained was 3 stats and I had more 6-7 stat ups than not. I haven't seen the +2 HP others have talked about and so far my best run for the MU was Mag good Res bad. I had some hilarious moments of Pair Up'ing Chrom and MU and watching them quad attack everything once they got up to 9 SPD, bosses included.

I wonder if the demo as elevated growths to make it more tantalizing of a taste, just to abuse you in the end. I doubt they'd do that though.

Party Miser fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 18, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've only run it once but I gained a total of five levels, two on Avatar and one each on Chrom, Sully and Lissa.

Avatar got 3 each time, everyone else got fives. I am very happy to see the return of four stats being a decent level, rather than amazing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Louisgod posted:

Thread title too subtle?

Oh dear lord...

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Marogareh posted:

Fire Emblem:Awakening - What is wrong with their feet?

I really like how you can pair up your crutch character with your healer for more defense.

Yeah but then they can't heal!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

^^ Sure they can. Just keep Frederick in the standby. He'll give Lissa a big, fat Def boost, even if he doesn't participate.

Levantine posted:

Yeah, that's what struck me too.

Fire Emblem: Awakening - We sacrificed our feet for the greater growths

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Terper posted:

^^ Sure they can. Just keep Frederick in the standby. He'll give Lissa a big, fat Def boost, even if he doesn't participate.

I love pair up more than I ever did carrying. Frederick was already going to make sure the healer doesn't die and nothing else, glad I have a way to make it official.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Veev posted:

I love pair up more than I ever did carrying. Frederick was already going to make sure the healer doesn't die and nothing else, glad I have a way to make it official.

Can you use pair up on someone to make the target the standby? When I played the demo you could only make the target the leader.

I'm going to miss sending in mounted units to rescue people in over their heads, aren't I? :saddowns:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Ryanbomber posted:

Can you use pair up on someone to make the target the standby? When I played the demo you could only make the target the leader.

I'm going to miss sending in mounted units to rescue people in over their heads, aren't I? :saddowns:

You can switch freely without it eating a turn (so long as you don't act), so if you needed to heal the secondary, you can switch them, move the healer in and heal the new leader, then switch back.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 18, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ryanbomber posted:

Once you've paired up, there's a new option in the menu - Switch - that lets you, uh, switch who's in the lead.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Foot fetishists sorely disappointed.

They are also the sole disappointed demographic, everyone else seems pretty stoked.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
We were talking about how Fire Emblem doesn't communicate to the player that they should accept character deaths as well as XCOM does so I said this:

I think Fire Emblem is at a bit of a disadvantage compared to XCOM when it comes to communicating that losing people is okay sometimes. The characters all have dialogue and character portraits and poo poo, and they don't level up just by surviving a battle. So it's much harder to get the player to think it's okay to let Dorcas die when they've invested arguably more effort into making him strong. I think what Fire Emblem could stand to do is offer a slight reward for losing characters. Now I don't mean poo poo like what the DS remake did where you had to kill off characters to get access to content. I just mean like this:

Let's say level 15 Dorcas dies. He's the only one who died, and he died near the end of a battle. I sure don't want to reset, but I'm pretty invested in this dude so I feel like I have to since no one else is around that level who fills his position. But what if I have a level 5 Bartre there, too, who's also the "Fighter" class? What if I could use something like the crystals from FFT to make Bartre level 8 or 9 now with a few bonus stat points? Like maybe every character produced a crystal/soul/whatever who would give their own unique set of bonus attributes plus experience? Now you have a level 8 Bartre with +2 Strength and +3 HP on top of his regular gains. Basically this is not going to replace Dorcas but you get something out of it and a chance at making one of your other characters better than Dorcas in the end because of it.

Ideally though the bonus would be small enough and take enough time to unlock in each character to discourage people from trying to farm them from characters they won't use. Plus they'll want to keep extra characters around in case they run into this situation again, unintentionally.

Anyway that's just one way they could go about it. But I do think that having a slight consolation reward would go a long way to discourage players from resetting the game over and over and souring their experience because they think they have to. The overall structure of XCOM allows it to do that in ways that Fire Emblem just can't. Take demo, for instance. You're required to lose almost all of your starting team in order to train you to accept that this is normal in that game. I don't think Fire Emblem expects losses that often so they couldn't do it the same way, but they should do something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On the other hand FE:Shadow Dragon gave you consolation prizes if you lost characters and it was just frustrating and dumb and lead to stupid minimaxing by killing people off.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You're assuming that letting characters die is the "correct" way to play and that all we need is a slight nudge in the right direction and we'll see the light. The developers have known since at least FE3 that some players will accept deaths and move on, and some will reset incessantly to save everyone, and have designed the games accordingly.

It also seems to me that it's not that Fire Emblem wants you to let characters die and is failing to communicate that--it's communicating the exact opposite message! Having unique characters each with their own portrait and personality communicates the message that each character is irreplaceable.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I got to a specific point late in Shadow Dragon where no matter what I did in the chapter I ended up losing at least one person and I couldn't live with that. IT PAINED ME TO NOT FINISH IT. I spent hours upon hours trying different strategies to not lose anybody and ended up not beating that chapter or the game. I guess that makes me a sperg or whatever but I don't careeeee.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In terms of the message enforced by the mechanics, there's no "right" way to play - you merely face consequences for choosing to play a certain way.

Naturally, the correct way to play is the way that's the most difficult without being beyond your own skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A consolation prize in the form of more characters and opening the gaiden you should have been able to get to anyway in a more intuitive way.

I think there's something to that idea, though, Nickoten. Perhaps a character who dies could leave a "memento." Say, Dorcas dies so he leaves his wedding ring because his big thing outside hitting stuff is his wife and what he's willing to do for her. That memento holds a portion of his stats and acts as a consumable stat boost to help bring a substitute character up to speed. If he's got poo poo stats then it's a poo poo boost, but in this game even a +2 is considered good if its to the right stat. It may be better to have it improve growths by some percentage of his stats so you're encouraged to use whoever is picking up Dorcas's mantle--they are strengthened internally by his loss and resolve to be more like him--that way there's less room for immediate abuse, unless you get truly sick and kill off entire crews just to get growth boosts for the Est character and then grind them up in the arena for mad stats TM. If you want to risk getting really game breaking, you could make them like the scrolls from FE5 and pass them around so everyone can bump up their strength stats.

Or maybe they should just give you the memento to keep in the between-Chapters base in a memorial room.

• Locked thread