Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Kanfy posted:

Chiaki to the right there still looks really silly, though. Like someone bumped her cardboard cutout to the side by accident.

Everyone's "shadow" is a set distance behind them. It's how they get their outline when you look at them straight-on, but can get a weird double effect when you see them from a sideways angle, like you've noticed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

clockwork chaos posted:

Ibuki is reminding me more and more of Excel - I've started reading her lines in Jessica Calvello's voice and it fits way too well.

Not that you can map English voice actors to Japanese ones with any level of sanity, Excel's voice actress actually is in this game-- that would be Peko, though as has already been pointed out she's sounding a lot more like Juri from Utena than Excel or Sailor Moon.

Still, it's neat when you think of the range involved.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Requested_Username posted:

Well, thank god we have a SHSL mechanic!

Too bad he's a coward. Not to mention that bomb, if it is even a bomb at all, will probably go off as soon as someone tampers with it. Just because Monobear is a goddamn troll.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

I think sonia might...like Togami. Just a hunch right now. Though there could be a surprise twist with Machiru.

Well, this is Anime-style story-telling after all. I'm sure its possible to flip over like that...

orenronen posted:

Come, my Four Dark Gods of Destruction! Our destination... Jabberwock Park!

Why is he so awesome?

orenronen posted:

Don't worry about me, just go ahead...! I'll catch up in no time!
She's....just not normal. In a way that is very funny to watch.

orenronen posted:

The rest followed suit, and left the restaurant, complaining.
And we should leave too... but not before seeing what the two that are still here have to say.

I guess... I should go too.
We should.

...But not before we talk to these two, who are still in the lobby!

Right. Off to the park.

...But not before we talk to Souda, who's also still at the hotel.

He’s gone... I just hope he's going to the park like he should.
Well, I should too.

Yes, we should.

The rumors were right, it seems.

We're here!

Finally!

Joenen fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 18, 2013

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Okay, something's bothering me here. I can understand apprehension to Togami being the leader (and not just because dude's all but posted a "MURDER ME" sign on his back with his posturing to protect everybody in the role of being the boss,) but ...Why the hell did Koizumi forcibly try to elect Sonia? Just cause she's a princess?

Hell, why didn't she volunteer for the job? She's proactive, clearly trying to move things along, and she didn't think to nominate herself? Gundam's a bit of an Egomaniac, but off in his own little world so I can see why he wouldn't, but is it just me or is it weird nobody else volunteered? Especially Koizumi.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Joenen posted:

Well, this is Anime-style story-telling after all. I'm sure its possible to flip over like that...

Why is he so awesome?

I think sonia might...like Togami. Just a hunch right now. Though there could be a surprise twise with Machiru.

Finally!

Did you really have to copy paste practically the entire loving update so you could make make pithy one line remarks about 5 things?

E for content: I find the characters in this game easier to immediately identify than in DR1, but I still have a hard time telling a couple of the girls apart. I mean, I got their archetypes in both games pretty much immediately, but with such a large cast I find it hard to immediately differentiate Tsumiki, Koizumi, Nanami and to some extent Sonia.

Ok, part of it is that I have trouble remembering their names, and linking the names to the images, or their SHSL...

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 18, 2013

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Joenen posted:

Why is he so awesome?
Does he even need a reason, he just is.

quote:

The very best kind of not normal there is.

quote:

I think sonia might...like Togami. Just a hunch right now. Though there could be a surprise twise with Machiru.
What... Just what? Uh, I don't know what to say. :sweatdrop:

quote:

Finally!
Yay for cliffhangers, how I missed thee. :D

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Fanservice, what else? :what:

There is one reason I can think of and doesn't involve fanservice: defusing the situation.

Before the fall Souda was freaking out. Mikan interrupted him by falling, and it was such a weird way to fall that after she was helped back up nobody was thinking about Souda freaking out anymore.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TKMobile posted:

Okay, something's bothering me here. I can understand apprehension to Togami being the leader (and not just because dude's all but posted a "MURDER ME" sign on his back with his posturing to protect everybody in the role of being the boss,) but ...Why the hell did Koizumi forcibly try to elect Sonia? Just cause she's a princess?

Hell, why didn't she volunteer for the job? She's proactive, clearly trying to move things along, and she didn't think to nominate herself? Gundam's a bit of an Egomaniac, but off in his own little world so I can see why he wouldn't, but is it just me or is it weird nobody else volunteered? Especially Koizumi.

She doesn't like Togami, so she nominated someone she does like who seemed to have the qualifications instead. Unless she has issues with men or fat people in general (it is really much too early to say), that is all it is.

Well, unless of course Koizumi is trying to install an incompetent leader so that she can kill someone more easily. That doesn't seem terribly likely, though.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

CandyCrazy posted:

Oh hey Souda brought up the "hole up in your room" strategy. The idea that Mikan intentionally tripped that spectacularly is interesting, though what purpose it would serve I'm not sure. Coach is also still awesome.

They might be setting up Mikan's clumsiness as a plot point. For instance, maybe she ends up falling off a balcony, and we have to figure out whether it was an accident, or she was pushed.

Knowing Monobear, it'd be perfectly in-character for him to call a trial for a fatal accident, just to make everyone paranoid that a murder happened.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

theshim posted:

Also, very interesting to learn that Togami indeed worked at getting himself that fat. Perhaps the Syo theories actually have some merit to them. :v:

How do we not know it was the other way around? This Togami could have lost weight. What I'm saying is that there is a possibility that this Togami was fatter than he is now. Like Jabba the Hut level fatness.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
It'd be a neat twist if she was trying to pull that, but again, it still feels strange that Koizumi wouldn't nominate herself; even if she just doesn't want someone she dislikes to not be the leader, her proactive nature thus far makes it seem like she'd try to take charge.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
She's proactive but not stupid -- as has already been noted, declaring yourself the leader puts a target on you. It's possible that she thought Sonia was stupid, but that the considered speech that Sonia gives demonstrates that she's wrong and gets Koizumi to back off and start looking for another patsy.

Zhauth
Sep 4, 2012

orenronen posted:

R...Regular underwear makes it difficult to move...!

Case in point: Mikan. :mmmsmug:
Jesus Christ, how the gently caress did that even happen? Did someone trip her? Did she feel like she needed attention? Is she just really loving unlucky?
Oh, wait, I meant to say "Is she really a Super High School Level Unluckster?" That's the proper translation, obviously.

The fanservice has really started to get out of hand.
We just had a cliffhanger for a panty shot.
A cliffhanger. For a goddamn panty shot.

At least there's a bomb now to get things moving.

Ghost Kitten
Sep 3, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

She doesn't like Togami, so she nominated someone she does like who seemed to have the qualifications instead. Unless she has issues with men or fat people in general (it is really much too early to say), that is all it is.

Well, unless of course Koizumi is trying to install an incompetent leader so that she can kill someone more easily. That doesn't seem terribly likely, though.

Her "quirk" apparently is that she's blatantly sexist (against men anyway). She's already made at least two comments about how REAL men should act. So I think when she nominated Sonia she was just trying to be all "Gurrrrl Power!"

orenronen posted:

Ah! Hey, you're the guy who lost his head back on the beach, aren't you?
Um... Yeah, I am...

A man shouldn't be so fragile, you know? It's your job to protect us girls at times like this, isn't it?

orenronen posted:

Well, I regret to inform you that you are hereby branded “Hinata-kun the unreliable”.

I expect you to work hard to shake that title off. Act more like a man!

...Hinata-kun. I think your wife is keeping you on a short leash.

I was was talking to both of you! Act more like real men, understand?!

poo poo got annoying real fast.

Ghost Kitten fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 18, 2013

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Joenen posted:

Admiration != infatuation. Please understand this, if nothing else. The fact that Sonia recognizes herself as a figurehead and Togami as someone used to taking charge of a situation means that she respects the abilities he has claimed ownership of. Not that she has a crush on him.

Ghost Kitten posted:

Her "quirk" apparently is that she's blatantly sexist (against men anyway). She's already made at least two comments about how REAL men should act. So I think when she nominated Sonia she was just trying to be all "Gurrrrl Power!"

She also did it to Souda in the update before this.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

TKMobile posted:

I think a lot of things about Koizumi are interesting in this regard. She has a lot of views on ingrained society roles and that people should act as expected of them. She thinks the men should act like men and berates them when they act weak. When Togami decides to be the leader she declares him as too aggressive and says Sonia should be leader because she has the highest role in society of everyone (princess easily trumps heir to a corporation). So when Sonia denies wanting to lead, Koizumi thinks it's wrong because she should want to lead everyone as the highest authority from a societal point.

I might just be looking into it too much of course, but that is what I've taken from her actions and dialogue so far.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

lotus circle posted:

I think a lot of things about Koizumi are interesting in this regard. I think she has a lot of views on ingrained society roles and that people should act as expected of them. She thinks the men should act like men and berates them when they act weak. When Togami decides to be the leader she declares him as too aggressive and says Sonia should be leader because she has the highest role in society of everyone (princess easily trumps heir to a corporation). So when Sonia denies wanting to lead, Koizumi thinks it's wrong because she should want to lead everyone as the highest authority from a societal point.

I might just be looking into it too much of course, but that is what I've taken from her actions and dialogue so far.

So basically, she believes in the status quo. This is going to end so well for everyone.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

How on earth is the end of his flowing scarf supporting a hamster sleeping on it? I can see the others being balanced/perched around his body, but that one ought to go crashing down to the floor.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Vil posted:

How on earth is the end of his flowing scarf supporting a hamster sleeping on it? I can see the others being balanced/perched around his body, but that one ought to go crashing down to the floor.

It obviously has steel wire inside of it to allow for dramatic posing/snug hamster beds.

Hyun.
May 8, 2008

Vil posted:

This is something a normal animal breeder would have to worry about. He's a Super High-school Level animal breeder though, so his scarf floats in order to support a sleepy hamster.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Minister Robathan posted:

Did you really have to copy paste practically the entire loving update so you could make make pithy one line remarks about 5 things?

E for content: I find the characters in this game easier to immediately identify than in DR1, but I still have a hard time telling a couple of the girls apart. I mean, I got their archetypes in both games pretty much immediately, but with such a large cast I find it hard to immediately differentiate Tsumiki, Koizumi, Nanami and to some extent Sonia.

Ok, part of it is that I have trouble remembering their names, and linking the names to the images, or their SHSL...

Sorry, didn't intend it to be that long....I'll cut it down.

The "Sonia liking Togami" thing was really only a hunch or prediction of sorts. She At least has respect for him. Togami may still be an arrogant tophat kind of guy, but he knows what he's doing, and she recognizes that.

Though yeah, I guess its too early to speculate on future relationships and the like. That bomb-looking thing is more important. And of course our mechanic is probably too scared to even look at it, let alone physically making contact with it.

Not that Monobear would even let him try, but still.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 18, 2013

Cluzic
Oct 29, 2011

Zhauth posted:

Case in point: Mikan. :mmmsmug:
Jesus Christ, how the gently caress did that even happen? Did someone trip her? Did she feel like she needed attention? Is she just really loving unlucky?
Oh, wait, I meant to say "Is she really a Super High School Level Unluckster?" That's the proper translation, obviously.

There is one other possibility. Perhaps Mikan's timid and clumsy exterior is a front which conceals a cold and calculating mind. Many people pointed out when she was introduced that her personality fits neatly into a certain annoying archetype; the sort of character who makes lonely neckbeards feel like they could protect her and be her white knight. It's possible that she knows this and is deliberately trying to elicit this reaction. It's definitely a good way to make her seem harmless, and it may allow her to exert some control over some of the cast.

That or I'm completely over-thinking this and it really is just fanservice. I just want to give the writers the benefit of the doubt after DR1.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

I hate to repost this image, but why has nobody mentioned the wires around her legs? It looks like somebody pulled her over.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
One of the characters did, but if you mean the posters here, I dunno.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, Monobear did sure step it up in his motivations for murder, huh? I mean at first it was just threatening friends and family, now it's just straight up blowing up the drat island. On the subject of the characters, Koizumi is the first one annoying me, surprisingly enough. I thought it was gonna be the chef or Gundam, but after she just shat on Souda for being scared that just annoyed me. I also hope that Mikan's clumsiness and Peko's thong do not become running gags (They probably will).

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I hate to repost this image, but why has nobody mentioned the wires around her legs? It looks like somebody pulled her over.

I think that's the point, that she managed to somehow trip so hard that she tied herself up in wires and managed to kick off both a shoe and sock. She might also be a SHSL Klutz.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Oh man Togami stop doing stuff like that! You were tied with Nagito as the most likely to die first in my eyes but now you just went to the top real fast, this will suck.
And I guess the Mikan scene is some foreshadowing for something that will happen later (I also guess that this is the fanservice scene oren mentioned on the podcast) because, unless you are Hagakure, you don't get a special CG for no reason, and I don't buy this game pulling the fanservice card so soon when there is no need to.

Zhauth posted:

The fanservice has really started to get out of hand.
We just had a cliffhanger for a panty shot.
A cliffhanger. For a goddamn panty shot.
I quite like what oren did because it made the fanservice scene more funny because I was expecting some big thing like Monomi appearing and instead it was just a random thing, that made laugh more then it should.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

If SHSL Hamsterlord bites it I don't think I could handle that. Those hamsters are just SO drat CUTE :3:

And it turns out our mechanic buddy is Shaggy. Dude needs some "Scooby Snacks" or something, drat.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
If the scenario is ''Someone kill or I will blow you all up with the mono bomb'', then we are in some something strange.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

you'd think with how clumsy anime girls are they'd start wearing pants at some point

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like how anything Togami chooses to do with his money is worth getting offended when someone insults it. Even if it's getting obese.

And I hope Souda somehow lives to the end, 'cause I feel really bad for him already. :(

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Y'know, I think I'm all pantied out. I'm tired of panties, and I'd kind of appreciate not seeing this motif show up for, oh, let's say five updates or so. But since Hanamura's liable to still be alive for the forseeable future, I kind of doubt I'll be so lucky.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think Souda is going to be involved in the first murder somehow. He's acting extremely frightened and paranoid. Not sure whether it's more likely he'll be the first killer or the first victim though.

Onecanofsprite
Oct 10, 2012

Oh my god, Togami, a bomb!
A bomb!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Regy Rusty posted:

I think Souda is going to be involved in the first murder somehow. He's acting extremely frightened and paranoid. Not sure whether it's more likely he'll be the first killer or the first victim though.

You know, I'm kinda thinking he won't be involved in murders, the first one anyway. There's a bit too much comparison to be made to the first murderer/victim of the first game for me to think the game won't throw a curveball at us (as it so loves to do), but more importantly, there seems to be too much room for Souda to grow as a character for him to just be offed at the beginning like that. I've been trying to draw a common theme between all the survivors of the last game, and one of the main ones seemed to be character development. All the characters who killed in the last game were kind of static and kinda had nowhere to go as characters within the framework of the story. But Naegi, Togami, Fukawa/Syo, Hagakure (who you'll remember was also cowardly for a while), Asahina... they all changed drastically as the story developed, and evolved beyond their gimmicks.

Of course, it's far too early at this point to tell everyone who's going to do that, and of course, the game does love its curveballs. But I think Souda may make it till tomorrow.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Bellmaker posted:

If SHSL Hamsterlord bites it I don't think I could handle that. Those hamsters are just SO drat CUTE :3:

And it turns out our mechanic buddy is Shaggy. Dude needs some "Scooby Snacks" or something, drat.

Nope. He dies first, and we find out that the audience actually works through the hamsters. They are our audience insert.

What I think will seriously happen: A) Hamster lord dies, the hamsters help the user solve his murder. B) One of the hamsters dies, there is a murder trial for it. C) Somebody accidentally sits on a hamster. They are murdered because of it.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
The problem with that train of thought is that DR1 killed off Ishimaru in the middle of his character development, robbing him before he could fully come to terms with his Aniki loss and be the better for it. If the games only killed off one note characters, or characters who had finished their character growth, the dead and dying would be alot easier to spot.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Serious Cephalopod posted:

What I think will seriously happen: A) Hamster lord dies, the hamsters help the user solve his murder. B) One of the hamsters dies, there is a murder trial for it. C) Somebody accidentally sits on a hamster. They are murdered because of it.

The hamsters better get separate death placards if Gundam does bite it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Personally, I'm kind of wondering if this wasn't a failed stealthy murder attempt with someone using the fact that literally everyone is in the same place as cover- no one has any better alibi than anyone else, with Mikan targeted because if it failed and then people would just be "OH MIKAN, SO CLUMSY <:rolleyes:v" as they were. Imagine if those wires were to go around her neck or something instead.

• Locked thread