Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax
Loved the demo, especially as someone who's never played a FE game before. Chiming in on the feet, I kept thinking the characters were clipping through the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Does anybody know if Awakening has side levels or towers you can choose at any time to fight in? I really enjoyed the inclusion of a multi-storied tower you can turn to instead of relying on chapters to level up your characters.

Well, there's DLC battles you can repeat as many times as you want (including free ones), fight other people's teams via Streetpass, and sometimes enemies will appear on the world map, and you can fight in a skirmish. There's nothing like the towers in FE8 though, but it's not entirely linear, no.

Lotish posted:

LPs of 3DS games are going to be an elite sort of crowd. Jeepers.

There's already a Serenes Forest guy who's doing an LP of the Japanese version. He also put up this video of the demo which is pretty funny. :v:

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 18, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Does anybody know if Awakening has side levels or towers you can choose at any time to fight in? I really enjoyed the inclusion of a multi-storied tower you can turn to instead of relying on chapters to level up your characters.

Yes. Not a single one place but it has side levels and random enemies on the map. Also DLC levels. You can grind if you choose.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nickoten posted:

Which game was it that introduced the resurrection staff, by the way? Was it one of the Super Famicom ones? I kinda wish they would have put that in the GBA games.

That would be Shadow Dragon. The original one. The Aum staff let you revive one character in the final chapter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Louisgod posted:

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get EXP outside of chapters is through Streetpass/Spotpass skirmishes and DLC. DLC can be repeated as many times as you like, but repeating a skirmish requires you to "summon" the team again, which costs gold.

Sidequests (which function identically to normal missions) unlock periodically, sometimes based on in-game events or sometimes by Spotpass, but all of them require you to reach a certain chapter in-game before you can attempt them - about half are only available at endgame.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rascyc posted:

Honestly the only thing that could convince me to leave people permanently dead would be something that isn't just isolated in gameplay mechanics, but rather that deaths had more of an impact on the plot and other characters. But I doubt anyone is going to put Alpha Protocol in Fire Emblem any time soon without carving the cast down to like 12.
One thing I'd like to see is new support options and some kind of bonus to a deceased character's support partner. Like if Character A and Character B both support Character C but not each other, then Character C dying could open a support between A and B where they bond over their mutual loss and poo poo. Or losing an A/S support partner causes a character to swear vengeance against whatever class killed him/her, getting a bonus for that.

Sure, you could min-max that too, but whatever.

Zurai posted:

Normal difficulty is seriously close your eyes and roll your face across the 3DS easy. It doesn't matter whether it's on Casual or Classic, there's not much difficulty there to cry about losing. This has been the case for most of the modern FE games; the lowest difficulty is not especially difficult with the exception of one or two chapters (Ike vs Black Knight, etc). And it's a little silly to complain about making the game too easy then say "but you can just grind everything up" to the counter-argument.
Also Lunatic and Lunatic+ explicitly include experience-culling features to prevent you from grinding. For example, Streetpass teams give you 1 exp for killing them, most random encounters are insanely hard with very low exp gain, and features are put in to prevent things like throne abuse of a boss by gradually reducing exp gained for subsequent attacks until it hits zero.

Louisgod posted:

Random encounters can appear on the map, and there's also DLC specifically designed for grinding exp/money if you want that.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Is perma-death still just as perma-deathy in the DLC/streetpass battles? I would assume so, but if anyone has confirmation.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
Demo owns, game is going to own. Those FMVs are amazing and I love that clerics actually get a decent amount of xp for healing now.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

PlotDevice posted:

Demo owns, game is going to own. Those FMVs are amazing and I love that clerics actually get a decent amount of xp for healing now.
Fair warning, it scales down as they level. Lissa's early gains of like 25 exp per Heal use on Normal rapidly trail off once she gets past level 10-12 or so. Still, it helps her get that much closer to promotion level and get her skills out of Cleric, allowing her to reclass and actually gain the ability to attack more quickly.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
You can probably see why they made Normal so easy if you watch that supergreatfriend guy play the demo (it's his first time playing Fire Emblem).

Lemoncake Pizzaroll
Feb 6, 2010

This looks really fantastic, I almost held out for the bundle deal but I ended up picking up the red 3ds with the free super mario 3d land because I intended to get it anyhow. I've never played a Fire Emblem game before but I just ran through the demo and it's making me sorely regret never picking up any of the earlier titles that came out. The feet thing is kind of weird though.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
My impression is that Normal is laughably easy, Hard isn't too tough, and Lunatic is bugger all insane and I can only wonder just how bad Insane is going to be.

It took me two tries to beat the Prologue (sitting at the beginning of Chapter 1 now). Chrom gained one level, Lissa two, Avatar zero. How are you supposed to get people experience?!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Lemoncake Pizzaroll posted:

This looks really fantastic, I almost held out for the bundle deal but I ended up picking up the red 3ds with the free super mario 3d land because I intended to get it anyhow. I've never played a Fire Emblem game before but I just ran through the demo and it's making me sorely regret never picking up any of the earlier titles that came out. The feet thing is kind of weird though.

If you want to kill time, try to grab a copy of Fire Emblem 7 (just called Fire Emblem in the US) or, if you want an easy intro tot he series, FE8 (The Sacred Stones). Both can be kinda hard to find carts for though, and I don't think either are on the E Shop (ambassadors got FE8...).

so... :filez: if you want to emulate them and all that.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

How bad is Hard for anti-grinding? Normal sounds like its too easy, but I do want the option to do OCD grinding if the game has enough side content to support it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Fisher King posted:

(ambassadors got FE8...)

Did I? Oh poo poo I did.

Remind me again, are Casual/Non-Casual mode and the difficulties mutually exclusive or is Casual more like an on/off switch?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Did I? Oh poo poo I did.

Remind me again, are Casual/Non-Casual mode and the difficulties mutually exclusive or is Casual more like an on/off switch?

On/off.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ryanbomber posted:

How bad is Hard for anti-grinding? Normal sounds like its too easy, but I do want the option to do OCD grinding if the game has enough side content to support it.

Hard mode has skirmishes that are perfectly doable--they're upscaled from normal by the same amount as any other map.

In lunatic, grinding is still possible, but it basically requires using DLC maps. Skirmishes in lunatic scale based on the farthest chapter you've unlocked, while in normal and hard they scale based on which map they spawn in.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Louisgod posted:

No towers, but there's buckets of side missions, not even counting the DLC. It is, in fact, how you recruit a number of characters.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Thanks for the confirmation all, glad I'll be able to grind away outside the main chapters.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I know I'm a bit late to the discussion about character death, but I personally think something decent might be to do a route split, and actually force you to divide forces. Have the player choose which people to take on which route, make one of them harder, one easier, et cetera et cetera.

And then out of the blue kill everyone on one of the two routes. No way to avoid it, no way to get the units back, but kill everyone on the hard route and be done with it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I just realized that there are no daggers/knives in this game. I miss the throwing knives from FE10. :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It still boggles me that throwing knives aren't considered the ranged option for swords like hatchets and javelins.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Lotish posted:

It still boggles me that throwing knives aren't considered the ranged option for swords like hatchets and javelins.

I guess they figured magic swords filled that role.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm pretty sure two range swords are just thrown now, like Javalins.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Eddain posted:

I guess they figured magic swords filled that role.

There are magic axes and lances in Awakening in addition to handaxes and javelins.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So I just tried the demo, and it was pretty fun. Lunatic mode surprised me, though. That very first Mage had El Thunder, holy poo poo. I guess I need to rely on using Frederick to tank.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ryanbomber posted:

My understanding is the anti-grinding features are not in Normal or Hard at all. However, you do earn less experience in Hard for various things (healing for example).

Additionally my understanding is that the hidden "internal level" cap from reclassing is higher for higher difficulties, meaning the absolute minimum experience you can get is potentially higher on Normal. That said, you apparently can't get less than 8 exp for a kill, which can be doubled with Paragon, so it's not unbearable to grind characters to max stats.

Lunatic intentionally tries to discourage this, but DLC can get around it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nakar posted:

My understanding is the anti-grinding features are not in Normal or Hard at all. However, you do earn less experience in Hard for various things (healing for example).

Additionally my understanding is that the hidden "internal level" cap from reclassing is higher for higher difficulties, meaning the absolute minimum experience you can get is potentially higher on Normal. That said, you apparently can't get less than 8 exp for a kill, which can be doubled with Paragon, so it's not unbearable to grind characters to max stats.

Lunatic intentionally tries to discourage this, but DLC can get around it.

The Lunatic measures are pretty rough; 1 EXP from Spotpass teams, Scent boxes (trigger random encounters and cost 500 g) cost 4800 g, regular random encounters in Chapter 3 have enemies with stats in the 20s and forged weapons, internal levels tracked goes from 20->70 and enemies are just nastier all around.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
What can Thiefs do in that game, by the way? Is stealing weapons still a thing?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Iceclaw posted:

What can Thiefs do in that game, by the way? Is stealing weapons still a thing?

Thieves have the skill that lets can pick locks (anyone can do that if they reclass into thief to get the skill). Nothing else about them is particularly thief-like

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
So no stealing at all? That's quite a letdown. Preorder cancelled. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Assassins are now a better combat class than Swordmasters, in terms of better caps. Once you've learned Sword Expert, there really isn't any reason to keep someone as a Swordmaster.

Sort of a reversal of Fire Emblem 8.

Plus Thieves get Movement +1 as a skill which is pretty nuts.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 19, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Thief also promotes to two pretty good classes (Assassin and Trickster) with pretty decent skills (Lethality and Acrobatics respectively).

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Am I seriously considering buying a dorky Fire Emblem 3DS? I think I am. what is the matter with me

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RuBisCO posted:

Is perma-death still just as perma-deathy in the DLC/streetpass battles? I would assume so, but if anyone has confirmation.

It is, yes. You can just pay gold to recruit Streetpass/Spotpass characters if you don't want to risk losing any units in a skirmish.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I went ahead and took a look at the skills list in the OP and drat, it seems like you can really make some devastating units with a little reclassing and some patience. The min/maxer in me is pleased.

Also, a question: does anyone know where to see decent pictures of all the various classes in the game? There's one in the OP for I think the Battle Cleric, but when I went to look on Serenes Forest they had small pictures in ovals and you couldn't see things as clearly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I went ahead and took a look at the skills list in the OP and drat, it seems like you can really make some devastating units with a little reclassing and some patience. The min/maxer in me is pleased.

Also, a question: does anyone know where to see decent pictures of all the various classes in the game? There's one in the OP for I think the Battle Cleric, but when I went to look on Serenes Forest they had small pictures in ovals and you couldn't see things as clearly.

Don't look up the Dark Mage. :smith:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Does My Unit change outfits when you class change?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eddain posted:

Does My Unit change outfits when you class change?

They do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

They do.

to clarify, the battle model and map sprite change, but the talking head portrait does not. this is true of all characters.

• Locked thread