Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
What is it with Sonic-style games and having such a tiny field of view? You can't possibly react to what's coming on the fly with so little room to look ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I guess if it's zoomed out more then maybe it'd be too imprecise? I'm not sure but it's a problem that no Sonic game has ever solved. Maybe it needs a system where the faster you go the more it zooms out?

e: gotta go fast (and smash into some spikes)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Runman and Super Meat Boy both had fast, precise platforming where the camera was sufficiently zoomed out.

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up

treiz01 posted:

Hey, this looks really cool! I'm downloading it right now, and I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks man! If you do dig it, please post in the thread and tell people it is cool. I just don't know how to make this thing seductive...

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Cicero posted:

What is it with Sonic-style games and having such a tiny field of view? You can't possibly react to what's coming on the fly with so little room to look ahead.
I'd kind of assumed the video was zoomed in. Is that the actual resolution/view size the game is using?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Just a question for people who have been following Kickstarters for a while: Is it typical for successful Kickstarters to get a ton of donations toward the end from wait-and-see types?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Just a question for people who have been following Kickstarters for a while: Is it typical for successful Kickstarters to get a ton of donations toward the end from wait-and-see types?

Yes, there is usually a massive donation push in the last 24 hours of a KS project. Not as much as the first 72, or even the first 24, hours, but a very large amount is funneled into the KS, especially if it's close to being funded.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shalinor posted:

I'd kind of assumed the video was zoomed in. Is that the actual resolution/view size the game is using?
I just checked the demo, and yeah looks like that's what they're going with.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Huh, didn't realize that only the demo was done for Freedom Planet, I thought they had the whole game put together.

I think it's a really cool project; it has some Sparkster influence and that's enough for me right there. Yeah, it's mostly derivative, but it's derivative of things that I love and it's pretty well done.

VSharp
Feb 13, 2004

That's how easy love can be!

NeonCowboy posted:

Thanks man! If you do dig it, please post in the thread and tell people it is cool. I just don't know how to make this thing seductive...

I really want to give you feedback so I'm coming out of lurk mode!

Even the first time you posted, I was very excited about your game, but I'm going to be critical of the language you use to describe it. I know it's very hard to promote something, especially if it means a lot to you. But I don't think you should say you're not too into the campaign, or that you'll just give up on it and move onto something else if it fails. Look at the phrases "I know it isn't very alluring" and "I will no doubt fall short". How do you know I won't find love and depression alluring? How do you know it will fall short?

If you don't care whether the campaign succeeds, then I have a hard time caring as well. Try to put on a brave face! You want more people to play it, right? Even if you're trying hard to entice people but nothing is working, don't put it in writing. I think you've got the right attitude by focusing on people enjoying it, but the words you use come across very pessimistic.

And what about your passion? Consider sharing with people why you made this game. Was it cathartic? Does it tap into personal experience? I donate to people who are enthusiastic about their projects. Even if this is hard for you, trying a little bit will make it easier the next time you do this for your next project. And consider describing what kind of art assets and music you are looking for. Or if you have people in mind that want to work with you, link to their portfolios. That would show that you have a creative vision in mind.

Finally, even if the campaign fails, I hope you don't give up on it. I haven't played the game (downloading it now) but I think it takes a lot of bravery to tackle difficult subjects, and the success of this campaign is clearly not an indication of how good your game is. Good luck with this and whatever project you work on next.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cicero posted:

You're expected to memorize levels.

for example.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Gah, that Freedom Planet video...it looks like a well-implemented game designed by competent developers, and the characters make me want to throw up.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

You're expected to memorize levels.

for example.

I always hated that about Sonic games. Like, your skill in a game will obviously increase if you memorize everything, but series like Mario and Mega Man are great even if it is your first time through a level. Unless you want to walk through Sonic? Oh, wait, there's both a scoring and a time system. :suicide:

Eh, I'll give the demo a try, maybe they'll do the usual tricks to somewhat overcome those problems.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Orzo posted:

Gah, that Freedom Planet video...it looks like a well-implemented game designed by competent developers, and the characters make me want to throw up.

You didn't find it adorable when Totally Not Cream the Rabbit blushed at you?? So kawaii uguu~

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doom Goon posted:

I always hated that about Sonic games. Like, your skill in a game will obviously increase if you memorize everything, but series like Mario and Mega Man are great even if it is your first time through a level. Unless you want to walk through Sonic? Oh, wait, there's both a scoring and a time system. :suicide:

Eh, I'll give the demo a try, maybe they'll do the usual tricks to somewhat overcome those problems.

Yeah I'm not saying the whole thing is a good idea, just that when those projects are doing it they're ripping it off from the Sonic games exactly. :v:

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up

VSharp posted:

Valid opinions.

I'm not really sure what to say - I understand exactly what you mean.

I'm not really that disheartened about the work itself, mostly because the reviews have been so great, and the biggest reason that I'm not too worried about the campaign is more material than spiritual: The truth is that I'm willing to put up the money myself if I can't get it through fundraising.

But overall, I agree with you - I have to be more positive in telling people about it if I want that passion to have any chance of contagiousness.

Thanks! And thanks for your kind words and for checking it out as well, I hope you like it.

NeonCowboy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 16, 2013

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shalinor posted:

That sounds cool, but it also hits my "this is over-promising bullshit" alarm.

Same here but I love Chris Taylor and Gas Power, take my 20 bucks!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FordPRefectLL posted:

Well, the way I understand it, is that a plasma rifle for instance is just a bow with a different animation that does more damage.

Right, but that's just it.

The time-consuming part isn't coding up a "bow" with a funny model which shoots blue balls of light instead of arrows, the time-consuming part is that someone has to make all the models, texture them, animate them, test them, make the levels with the different assets etc. Either it takes a loving LOOOOONG time and costs a lot of money (because you're employing a bunch of people for a long time) or it looks horrible.

Cassielle
Jan 17, 2013
Okay, I got off to a really bad start here, having missed an important rule. This is my heartfelt apology to the community, and an attempt at trying this again, but better. Here's hoping that works out.

The game: Akaneiro: Demon Hunters.

What is it? Akaneiro is a free-to-play action-RPG in the vein of Diablo and Torchlight, set in Edo-era Japan.

What makes it any different from the hundreds of other Diablo clones out there? Akaneiro is free to play, for one. Also, the character development system is, similar to the Souls games, open-ended -- unlike games like Torchlight and Diablo 2, all skills are usable by all classes. This means that the builds become customized to your playstyle over time. There's also the unique Allies system, which lets you summon an AI-controlled copy of another player's character. The art style gets immense praise from our players for its refreshing style -- often compared to Okami. The setting is one that, while hardly ignored, remains more often unexplored than other settings. And lastly, there are missions and areas instead of long dungeons and large open-world regions -- think of the difference between the "worlds" of Demon's Souls and the open world of Dark Souls.

Free-to-play? Ugh, so that means I have to pay cash to keep up, right? No. The cash is just a way to save time. Cash users are just buying karma shards, which are freely available in the game in large quantities. There is a slight grind necessitated for non-paying players, but that, if anything, balances it slightly in their favor. The paying players still have level requirements on all skills and weapons, still have to play through every mission, still have the same randomly dropped or bought equipment. One of the testers did a short write-up on the particular free-to-play system, available here.

I see the game is releasing on January 25th January 31st, and the Kickstarter ends on February 2nd. What gives? The game is "ready" -- but it's got a lot of stuff they'd like to have still unimplemented. As right now, it's a solid single-player experience with an in-game chat for players to help each other and "asynchronous" multiplayer in the form of the Allies system. But it's missing true multiplayer, crafting, the Hunting Squad mechanic (similar to the multiple controllable characters aspect of Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, except you create all of them personally), and the team would like to bring it to other platforms. Right now, there's no way they can do all of that realistically. So they're releasing the game in a complete state, but one that they wish could be even better. The Kickstarter is to add all the cool things they really can't right now -- which is a different way of using it, to be sure.

I played a bit of the open beta, and I think this game isn't good/is pretty bad/outright sucks. Actually, you might be who the team wants! There's not a huge playerbase available, right now, so they need testers. The developers are almost always there at some point in a given day, and the team reads every single ZenDesk report submitted. If you're already playing and want it to be better, then break it now and tell the people who can fix it. That includes problems with the free-to-play balance.

Why come to SA to post this when you could just advertise somewhere else that actually wants it? Because if all you hear is "yes," you'll never know when you're wrong. SA has a long history of giving honest, unbiased criticism, and asking the really hard questions. I've been an off-and-on lurker for awhile, and most of my friends are goons or former goons, so there's something about the SA "style" I've come to respect. When I suggested this forum to my boss, she shot back "why not do a Q&A?" and I knew that if anywhere, this would be the place to do it. And that means...

There will be answers by American McGee, CEO of Spicy Horse, to the questions of you, the forumgoers, after one week. ~edited by Zooloo, this is correct~

Interested in finding out more? Here is the official site, and here is the official FAQ. And the Kickstarter is here.

Cassielle fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 25, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Okay, the first question: What the hell is defined as "revive" in that post from the tester about the F2P implementation? Is it like Torchlight's where you restart at the start of an area (or where you died) if you pay but go back to $HUB_CITY if you don't? Or is it basically Pseudo-Hardcore where if you don't have enough Karma, it's whip out the credit card or re-roll?

Beyond that, what is Karma pricing like on unlocking new areas? Is it going to be a hellish grind to progress at all if you don't pay, especially if you don't play well and have to revive a lot (contingent upon the above question's answer, obviously)?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I don't know much about the game, but here's some immediate questions I have from reading your post/skimming the FAQ:

Firstly, what makes it any different from the hundreds of other Diablo clones out there in terms of gameplay?

From what you've written, you have a single skill tree shared between classes, and instead of dungeon areas or open world areas you have areas that are/contain "missions", whatever that means. So what kind of areas do you have exactly? Also I noticed you mentioned something about ally NPCs later, so that could be cool but it should probably be explained as a point of differentiation rather than put in a different section. Basically, why would I prefer to play Akaneiro as opposed to Torchlight/Diablo/Path of Exile etc?

Secondly, is the kickstarter is funding an expansion pack/DLC/update with the content you mention, or will the launch be delayed if the kickstarter is successful to implement it into the base game prior to release? I get that you want to add more to the game, but how exactly is that going to work?

If it is an expansion pack you might have had more luck pitching it as such because "it's complete and totally playable as it stands except that it isn't complete" is kind of a confusing pitch. "It's complete but we have a ton of ideas for new features that we want to work on sooner rather than later" is more straightforward.

And thirdly, what exactly does a character's class do? If there are no weapon/armour restrictions and skill progression is the same, what does it actually mean to belong to a particular class?

If I think up more I'll post them, but those are the main issues I've noticed so far.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
People have listed successful kickstarter games before but I haven't seen anyone mention Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller. It's a point-and-click game about a FBI agent with psychic powers (they name-drop Jane Jensen but I'm not sure how involved she was in the production). It was successfully funded back in 2011 and was released this October. I bought it during a GMG sale and didn't know it was a kickstarter game before the game listed everyone who pledged, during the credits. It's the first episode of a series so the story isn't concluded, but personally I'm looking forward to more episodes. It's a little rough around the edges but overall really enjoyable if you're into point-and-clickers. It actually has *gasp* puzzles which is a rarity these days, and most of them actually make sense. There's a demo on their homepage if anyone's interested.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So I guess Wildman is now a one-man indy game?

What, with everyone but Chris Taylor just let go from GPG

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo what http://kotaku.com/5977246/were-hearing-about-layoffs-big-trouble-at-gas-powered-games-days-after-launch-of-11-million-kickstarter

quote:

Hey Jason,

We do have a layoff, and we'll be updating our Kickstarter as well with details as well very soon. I'm way behind, so many wonderful people to talk to and share stories with, so it just takes time. It's actually been a fairly positive experience, because I run a very open company and everyone knows what's going on.

Thanks!
Chris

e: i really don't loving get what's going on over there. if it's Taylor making a power move or what but drat that's a sure-fire way not to get your funding

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 19, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

It's actually been a fairly positive experience, because I run a very open company and everyone knows what's going on.
Hahaha what?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I really don't understand the economics behind game development. GPG just finished doing work for Microsoft on Age of Empires. Did MS pay them nothing? Do game companies really live hand to mouth?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cancel your pledges now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the black husserl posted:

I really don't understand the economics behind game development. GPG just finished doing work for Microsoft on Age of Empires. Did MS pay them nothing? Do game companies really live hand to mouth?

They "Just Finished" like 8 months ago. MS paid them well enough that they could run the studio without selling a product for the last eight months, but that doesn't last forever.

edit: And yes, mid-tier game developers who are independent but rely on publisher contracts do pretty much live hand to mouth.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
So did Taylor basically just fire everyone working on Wildman? If so, why the gently caress should anyone give him money for the game? I feel like I'm probably passing judgment too early, but I'd really like to know what the hell is going on over there. The way it sounds, several of the people in that Kickstarter video no longer even work there.

Edit: Then again, I see now that article is written by Jason Schreier, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's way overblown. I hope that's the case.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I have a few friends about the industry who think that GPG needed $3 mill minimum to get this game made, and that they needed/expected an Obsidian style $1mill in the first day that would let them do "stretch goals" to reach the real target. When it became clear they would only reach their KS "target" or just beyond it, the plug got pulled.

All supposition though.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I have a few friends about the industry who think that GPG needed $3 mill minimum to get this game made, and that they needed/expected an Obsidian style $1mill in the first day that would let them do "stretch goals" to reach the real target. When it became clear they would only reach their KS "target" or just beyond it, the plug got pulled.

All supposition though.

If they expected to do Obsidian numbers then god do they have their heads up this industry's rear end. I bet they cannot understand why a guaranteed moneymaker F2P Action-RPG didn't do as well as a nerdy niche Isometric RPG.

I'm sure it was similar to how EA felt about the Syndicate remake. How can this dubstep big budget shooter fail? It's what everyone loves!

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 19, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It especially doesn't help when three of their last four games fell flat of their face. Space Siege, Demigod and SupComm 2 were pretty much DOA. I have no idea how successful AoE Online was but it seemed neat enough. Shame it was a F2P title.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

the black husserl posted:

If they expected to do Obsidian numbers then god do they have their heads up this industry's rear end. I bet they cannot understand why a guaranteed moneymaker F2P Action-RPG didn't do as well as a nerdy niche Isometric RPG.

I'm sure it was similar to how EA felt about the Syndicate remake. How can this dubstep big budget shooter fail? It's what everyone loves!

I don't think Wildman was going to be F2P.

And Syndicate arguably failed because there was barely any marketing around when it was released. It's supposedly actually quite good in some respects.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaspoweredgames/wildman-an-evolutionary-action-rpg/posts/388863

:stare:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What in the everloving Christ...?

He's right, that sure is a wacky update!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sounds like they should have done the Kickstarter a month ago. If they're in such dire financial straits that it's either 'fire everyone' or 'go out of business in a month' it doesn't exactly inspire confidence they won't go bust before the game ever comes out.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 19, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I came in here to say that I am blown away by Freedom Planet being at almost $6,000. I've been following it since it was nothing more than a Sonic fan game, and I'm excited for what it's become.

I'm glad I came in here so I could see this:

:psyduck: What the gently caress? That's some really asinine justification for firing your entire team

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't be bothered watching a video for something I have no care about now, Mister Taylor, but I'm sure it wouldn't have convinced me that it's worth funding your stuff today.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, huh. So they have to lay people off now because they're essentially out of money already. If the kickstarter is a success, they may be able to hire some people back. If it's a failure, GPG may close its doors.

This is sad news, I'm a Chris Taylor fan and a fan of all of his games (minus Space Siege, which I don't think he actually had a hand in). On the other hand, you have to question the decisions that lead to this point. They seem to want to make a game that's well beyond their current means. I don't think the kickstarter will fail unless the community reacts negatively to the video and gets pessimistic about their ability to make the game, which would be fair. Or the community could rally behind GPG and try to support them and their game. It will be interesting to see how this turns out, and more than anything, I really hope GPG doesn't actually have to shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck: What the gently caress? That's some really asinine justification for firing your entire team

Well, to be fair it means he's paying them all of their owed vacation time and (it sounded like) a severance.

If he'd waited for the end of the month he wouldn't have been able to pay those and gone bankrupt.