Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

JumpinJackFlash posted:

These look completely awesome!

That lacquer looks... gross.

Don't know why, but it's making my skin crawl.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I've decided I'm not even going to bother with collecting games or systems in my town. I was speaking with one of the pawn shops and it turns out they, goodwill and other pawn shops take all their older stuff and have a local company sell it for them on ebay so there's pretty much 0 chance of finding anything here.

gently caress you, ebay.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zenintrude posted:

Don't know why, but's making my skin crawl.

The NES doesn't look as bad as the SNES but I am NOT a fan of that orange to white fade - it just looks unfinished and that gloss is so thick it looks like it'd be slimy if you touched it.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

JumpinJackFlash posted:

These look completely awesome!

:barf: I saw these on @NeoGafShitPosts first and thought it was a joke. That SNES is unbelievably bad.

By the way, yeah places around here stopped keeping around their old game and computer stuff too. It sucks a lot but at least we have Craigslist.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

zenintrude posted:

Don't know why, but it's making my skin crawl.

Give me that NES without the graphic on it, same color scheme, but matte finish. I think I could live with that.

That SNES, though...

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon
Printed a whole bunch of UGC covers. Printing them all at Random Office Goods Store was only $40, plus an additional $8 to have them cut. Considering I printed over 50 covers it seems like a fair deal as I know my printer would go through at least one whole cartridge to do that many prints. And it would probably be poo poo quality anyway.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The NES looks kinda nifty but the SNES just looks awful. Wayyy too glossy for both.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cicero posted:

The NES looks kinda nifty but the SNES just looks awful. Wayyy too glossy for both.

Not only that but the NES is using the Rockstar Grand Theft Auto font. Also going by the floor there's a real good chance it's one of those people who modeled their room after the Set of the live action segments for Super Mario Super Show.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Not only that but the NES is using the Rockstar Grand Theft Auto font. Also going by the floor there's a real good chance it's one of those people who modeled their room after the Set of the live action segments for Super Mario Super Show.

It's a mass produced sticker available in a Hot Topic near you.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Super-Mushroom-Sticker-96-326/dp/B000NSF8FQ

Or just on Amazon, whatever.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Chainclaw posted:

I'm going to link you a site that has what you want, but I'm going to warn you, you'll think I accidentally linked you Time Cube or something.
Here's the site you want: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/
The site is crazy to navigate, but they've got a ton of Atari stuff in general, including lots of 5200 stuff.
Here's the page on the 5200, including info on controllers and games http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/5200.htm and more on the controller here http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx52.htm
Here's the page on how to order: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/ordering.htm#Order

I can second using this company. They can be a bit goofy to deal with, but what they offer is pretty amazing. If you've really been bitten by the Atari collecting bug, I suggest ordering their catalog.

I think I'm fortunate that I did most of my retro gaming collecting years ago by scouring thrift shops and picking things up from family and friends. I decided I've had too many systems and games and started to cut it down in the past month. N64 stuff is netting me some decent cash on ebay (I kept the boxes and instructions for most of the games I had), as well as any SNES stuff. In the past month, I've sold off my Atari 2600/5200/7800 collection, Colecovision stuff, Sega Saturn, N64, 3DO, SNES, Gameboy and GBA stuff, Sega Master System and Gamegear stuff, Commodore Vic 20, and am currently getting rid of my Intellivision collection. I'm probably forgetting a few things here. I hope I don't regret this. It was all a bit much though.

I'm down to my NES stuff (getting my toploader AV modded!), Atari 8-bit and 16-bit computer stuff, C64, Vectrex, and Sega 16-bit stuff. I think that's a bit more manageable.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Let's just put it this way: neither of them got poo poo on custom Dreamcasts.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 18, 2013

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Holy crap. I'm stoked to hear Best Electronics is legit. Put me in the "thought it was the time cube" camp. When I discovered that site, I assumed that there was no way it was still in business. Especially with their "no on-line ordering, we want you to call to make sure."

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Holy crap. I'm stoked to hear Best Electronics is legit. Put me in the "thought it was the time cube" camp. When I discovered that site, I assumed that there was no way it was still in business. Especially with their "no on-line ordering, we want you to call to make sure."

Here's an AtariAge thread on the subject if you want to read more on peoples dealings. It looks like it's all positive, and a lot of people are there for Atari 5200 controller stuff. http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/199536-best-electronics/

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The guy that runs/is Best Electronics has had people offer to redesign his website and maintain his website completely for free and on several occasions and he has always refused. He also won't process orders on certain days if he gets grumpy. That should give you an idea of how business works there.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

What game is this design based around? Looks really good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xik posted:

What game is this design based around? Looks really good.

Samba de Amigo which means they painted the wrong controller...

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Found a snes + controller at a goodwill for $3.99. Has a SNS-CPU-GPM-02 board with the S-ENC chip that can output component :cool:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Can you get in trouble for giving bullshit offers to people knowing they'll be declined?

Whenever I want to feel better about myself I search VGA in video games and offer $20 to all the retarded listings for stuff that shouldn't have ever been graded

Like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Sony-Playstation-3-2010-BLACK-LABEL-NEW-VGA-90-GOLD-/230903765355

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

flyboi posted:

Can you get in trouble for giving bullshit offers to people knowing they'll be declined?

Whenever I want to feel better about myself I search VGA in video games and offer $20 to all the retarded listings for stuff that shouldn't have ever been graded

Like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Sony-Playstation-3-2010-BLACK-LABEL-NEW-VGA-90-GOLD-/230903765355

I do this all the time and have not gotten in trouble yet. Bullshit ebay listings trolling buddies

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

Jesus christ you can still get that on the shelf of any Gamestop in the country.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

zenintrude posted:

Let's just put it this way: neither of them got poo poo on custom Dreamcasts.

Good lord. Those are so sexy.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So is there a place I can get one of them thar fancy Dreamcast paint jorbs?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Who do I have to rob murder sacrifice the soul of a drifter to in order to get a Skies of Arcadia Dreamcast? :swoon:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Install Gentoo posted:

Jesus christ you can still get that on the shelf of any Gamestop in the country.

Bu-but it's graded! :saddowns:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Bu-but it's graded! :saddowns:

I want them to point out the 10% of damage on that game that drops it down from 100. Why I might almost think that the grading collectables was a massive scam...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Cicero posted:

So is there a place I can get one of them thar fancy Dreamcast paint jorbs?

This actually has me thinking... Oh, Uncle Jenkins, do you think you'd be up for painting something for me?

I have some amount of dollar bills I could give you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Random Stranger posted:

I want them to point out the 10% of damage on that game that drops it down from 100.

They paid for the $25 "standard tier" grading service instead of the $70 "archival tier" grading service.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
On one hand, the thought of a custom looking console is awesome, and on the other, I want the consoles to resemble what I grew up with.

Sucks Nintendo never got into the non-portable mulit-color consoles until the N64.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

On one hand, the thought of a custom looking console is awesome, and on the other, I want the consoles to resemble what I grew up with.

This is why I play all my consoles with an RF cable through a VCR on a TV from 1987.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wa27 posted:

This is why I play all my consoles with an RF cable through a VCR on a TV from 1987.

In this thread there's no way to tell if this is a joke or not...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Sad days... I rewired my EEPROM burner because I got some new pin headers in the mail today and it works great, have no issues flashing anything

...Super Demo World The Legend Continues is 64Mbit which means impossible to put on a reproduction card as far as I know

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wa27 posted:

But is it a Trinitron? :v:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

roffels posted:

This might be terrible advice, but I think if you want to play 5200 quality games, but want to avoid using Atari 5200 controllers, just go for the Atari 8-bit computer systems and their games instead. A lot of the arcade classic ports are pretty much the same or similar, and you can use the 2600 controllers (or Genesis!) in place of those awful 5200 controllers.

Back in the days of Atari 800 :filez: there were bootleg ports of a lot of 5200 games to run on the 8-bit computers. There are a few minor differences in the 5200 BIOS, but the CPU and video chip are the same on both platforms.

Pretty much the only 5200 exclusive titles were Space Dungeon (which is a cool twin stick shooter, which means you'd need TWO working controllers to play on the original hardware) and Countermeasure (which looks neat but I've never tried it). Or I guess if you could get a hold of the trac-ball add on, you can play Centipede and Missile Command the way they were intended.

The early 80s were really a golden age for lovely controllers though. I don't know how anybody ever thought the wobbly analog stick on the 5200 was a good idea, but then again its competition was the likes of the Colecovision

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

Sad days... I rewired my EEPROM burner because I got some new pin headers in the mail today and it works great, have no issues flashing anything

...Super Demo World The Legend Continues is 64Mbit which means impossible to put on a reproduction card as far as I know

Don't a lot of SNES romhacks only work on some emulators, and not the actual hardware or BSNES because they rely on emulation inaccuracies? I seem to recall that being especially a problem for Super Mario World romhacks with custom music.

h_double posted:

The early 80s were really a golden age for lovely controllers though. I don't know how anybody ever thought the wobbly analog stick on the 5200 was a good idea, but then again its competition was the likes of the Colecovision

I will never truly understand why hardware developers thought having telephone keypads was good idea for game controllers, nor why it had to take till 1983 for anyone to figure out the d-pad + buttons design for a controller.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

Don't a lot of SNES romhacks only work on some emulators, and not the actual hardware or BSNES because they rely on emulation inaccuracies? I seem to recall that being especially a problem for Super Mario World romhacks with custom music.

Yeah, but super demo world the legend continues works in bsnes so in theory it should work on snes

problem is idk if you can address that high through the cartridge mad-1

There is a way to wire up two tsop 32mbit carts to a single cart for ToP but idk if i'd really want to waste that many chips on such a thing. The memory alone would cost almost $25

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Install Gentoo posted:

If you get it from gamestop will it actually be unopened?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

I will never truly understand why hardware developers thought having telephone keypads was good idea for game controllers, nor why it had to take till 1983 for anyone to figure out the d-pad + buttons design for a controller.

I actually liked the keypad controller for the Intellivision, which had a good number of strategy games which used the keypad to good effect, like instantly selecting different units in Sea Battle, or secretly calling plays in football. Also keep in mind that in the early 80s, it was non-trivial for consoles to display more than a line or two of text at a time (due to limits of both resolution and video memory), so it wasn't very practical to select stuff with onscreen menus or help messages. Complexity got offloaded to the controller because the console hardware itself wasn't sophisticated enough.

The 5200 and Colecovision, on the other hand, hardly had any games that justified the keypad. It also amazes me that they had the keypad input, but still only a single action button. Arcade games had good controls since day one, it's weird it took home systems to get a point where controllers were consistently decent.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

My consoles remain sticker free except for my nes which is covered in nintendo trading card stickers, just like my childhood one.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

You can probably find brand new $30 copies of FFXIII at Wal-mart still. The whole video game grading thing is just a massive scam. People have sent him identical copies of games that get different ratings; one thing I read was two brand new, factory-fresh, impeccable copies of a newer game I forget, one got a high grade and one got like a 70 or something, and they paid for the same service for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

h_double posted:

The Intellivision's disc controller is even worse. Though they had some joystick adapter to partially offset the odd design.

• Locked thread