Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Crooow! posted:

As someone who watched hockey, mostly Dallas, in the late-90s before stopping, I was wondering how Dallas has been. I hear they weren't good last year. Have they gotten any better?

They signed The Wizard Ray Whitney and Jaromir "Fuckin'" Jagr for this year (and Whitney for next year too). They're both old but both awesome. The rest of them I dunno. Jamie Benn is still un-signed, I think, and he's a fairly big part of the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Crooow! posted:

As someone who watched hockey, mostly Dallas, in the late-90s before stopping, I was wondering how Dallas has been. I hear they weren't good last year. Have they gotten any better?

Not yet but there's nowhere to go but up now that stupid Tom Hicks is gone

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Crooow! posted:

Dallas stopped being good when they fired Tippett as coach.

Phoenix, who picked up Tippett, have gone to the playoffs every year since while Dallas have missed out.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
How are scoring "chances" determined?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME

CobwebMustardseed posted:

How are scoring "chances" determined?

Honestly I think it's kind of arbitrary, it's not an official stat

A breakaway, a chance in front, a clear shot from the slot, etc, could be a scoring chance even if they miss the net. A weak writer from the blue line that the goalie sees, probably not

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
A scoring chance for charting purposes is defined as a puck directed towards the net from the "slot", roughly between the faceoff dots and below the top of the faceoff circles (the ringette line if you prefer).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks everyone! GameCenter bought, ready to know nothing yet pretend otherwise.

Dangerllama posted:

We're going to forgive you for being from Baltimore just this once.

Oh, you talk a big game, but I know about Colfax.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

guppy posted:

Oh, you talk a big game, but I know about Colfax.

The longest commercial boulevard in the U.S. :eng101:

I was referring more to the...ahem...incident that occurred last Saturday with a team from Baltimore. But in any event, now that you're solidly in the Avs camp, get ready for perennial disappointment!

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 18, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh, right, I forgot that happened. I can't seem to get into the NFL so I don't remember that its games exist.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

What happens if both goalies are injured during a game? Some skater who's reasonably close to one of the goalies in size gets three minutes in the locker room to kit up? :D

e: Given my 'tar, I should probably know this already. That said, Philly goalies don't get injured very often, they tend to just ... suck

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Thel posted:

What happens if both goalies are injured during a game? Some skater who's reasonably close to one of the goalies in size gets three minutes in the locker room to kit up? :D

Don't some teams carry three goalies?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Yes, if both goalies who dressed for the game are injured a team can basically round up whoever they want to be the third.

A more common occurrence is when a team knows ahead of time one goalie is out and they need a last-minute backup. Here's one amusing example of who they got.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Levesque#Call-up_to_Vancouver

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's stories out there of coaches who dressed to be goalie too, it happened at least once quite a ways back (I want to say sometime in the 60's).

I think modern teams are careful enough to make sure things never get to that point.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

xzzy posted:

There's stories out there of coaches who dressed to be goalie too, it happened at least once quite a ways back (I want to say sometime in the 60's).

Lester Patrick did it for the Rangers in the 1928 Stanley Cup Final

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thel posted:

e: Given my 'tar, I should probably know this already. That said, Philly goalies don't get injured very often, they tend to just ... suck

Most teams have designated a skater that has played goalie at least 1 time in their life in a street hockey game in bumfuck canada to play goal in case both guys get injured in-game. I could swear I've read or seen this on TV being talked about with players but I can't find anything with a cursory google. for some reason kevin bieksa sticks out as a possible guy in that role

also gently caress kevin bieksa, he sucks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've been watching since the 2008 playoffs, but I've never quite understood how standings work. Is it just goals + assists? Does this mean you can lose a hockey game to a rival from another conference by some high score like 16-12 and still have so many goals and assists that you elevated your place in the division through a losing game?

How are assists really decided upon? I've seen occasions where a guy just manages to get the puck, make a break for it, and then slam it in and look like a million bucks. Is that no assists? Does that even happen? Is that worth less than when everyone's crowding the net and then two guys pass it to a guy on the corner who shoots it in?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Standings points have nothing to do with goals. The formula is 2 pts for a win of any kind. 0 pts for a regulation loss. And 1 pt for a loss in OT or the shootout.

Assists are basically the two dudes that controlled the puck (and passed it along in a semi-controlled manner) before the scorer. There are lots of seemingly random ways to get an assist, including shooting the puck at the net and having it get deflected into the net to score. There's a lot of gray area here. Every game has an NHL official scorekeeper there and it is their job to credit goals and assists. Sometimes they get it wrong, bub people don't bitch too much about it.

Yes, it's totally possible to get an unassisted goal and it happens pretty frequently. Not quite every game, but often enough.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Standings are determined by points only. These points are different from the skater stat category of "points" (which are goals + assists).

A team gets 2 points for a win, 0 points for a regulation loss, and 1 point for an overtime or shootout loss. There are suggestions here (and other places, I assume) to make a regulation win 3 points, an overtime win 2 points and an OT loss 1. As it stands right now, a game that goes to OT will award 3 points and a game that ends in regulation will give 2.

Recently (last year? Maybe two years now) they added the "ROW" category. ROW is Regulation + Overtime Wins. This is designed to discount the shootout--as a tiebreaker. If two teams have the same number of points, they will first look at ROW first to try to break the tie.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME
Goal differential is the 4th tie breaker so the number of goals your team scores can actually affect their position in the standings, but it'd have to be a situation where two teams (assuming they're tied in points) are tied in number of games played, ROW's, and head to head record. In that case, the team with the biggest goal differential would have the higher standing (goal differential is number of goals scored minus number of goals allowed)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Overwined posted:

Assists are basically the two dudes that controlled the puck (and passed it along in a semi-controlled manner) before the scorer.

Just to clarify, control isn't required for an assist. If the puck randomly bounces off of a teammate, for example, and the next player to touch the puck scores, the teammate will get an assist.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Dangerllama posted:

Just to clarify, control isn't required for an assist. If the puck randomly bounces off of a teammate, for example, and the next player to touch the puck scores, the teammate will get an assist.

some other leagues, the KHL notably, actually do require control for an assist to count. they also don't award secondary assists unless the secondary player's pass was somehow instrumental in scoring the goal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Secondary assists should only be awarded to goalies or defensemen. :colbert:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Or every player if they do the Flying V.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Crooow! posted:

Dallas is a mix between young ringers and old veterans at the moment. We've finally got an owner that will sign good free agents, and have some pretty good depth coming up into the system. This would be a good year to get back into the Stars, as we've got plenty of showmanship with Jagr and the future is looking pretty good, as our opponents in our division are seeing cup windows close right as we start getting good again. San Jose's trending downward, Anaheim's already down, Phoenix still can't really spend that much cash and LA will (hopefully) run into the cup winning curse.

Your job is to hate the California teams and Colorado, if nothing more than the stupid ALTITUDE channel/analysts.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 18, 2013

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone able to answer my questions from the last page?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bertuzzi is an rear end in a top hat. Has been since he's been in the league. My understanding is he was a huge introverted douche to the fans in Vancouver, and nothing has changed since he moved to Detroit.

There's not much to know about the Avs. They're a young team that's been semi-screwed by ownership who've decided to take a more active interest in basketball than hockey since the last time the team made a cup run. They have a perennial shot at 6-8th seed, but not much more. Whether or not they make the playoffs this year will be entirely dependent on how well Semyon Varlamov plays in net.

People don't like the Red Wings because they're the Yankees of hockey. They win all the time, so they (more than other teams) attract the type of fan who values a winning over loyalty. In that way, they have more of a mercenary vibe, and I'd wager there are fewer Wings fans who are also Tigers/Lions fans than you'd find percentage wise in other markets. Of course, there are also a hell of a lot of Michigan expats out there...so maybe in that way they're more the Steelers of hockey?

As for their roster, it's still stacked with brand names. The blue line took a huge hit with Lidstrom's retirement - and don't ask me what people see in Kyle Quincey, but otherwise the team seems steady as she goes. I'm guessing they'll finish 4th in the West and get knocked out in the second round. There are others who know way more about Detroit's roster than I do, though.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 19, 2013

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

GobiasIndustries posted:

I really haven't watched a ton of hockey since I first started college (2004), but I grew up in the Metro-Detroit area and the Red Wings have always been my favorite team. Could anyone give a brief rundown of how the roster looks this year? A few things I know: Nicklas Lidstrom retired after last season and Henrik Zetterberg is our new captain...and poo poo that's basically it :( I recognize a few of the other names on the roster: Helm (fast and small from what I remember), Abdelkader (he played at MSU), Franzen (known as the Mule) Datsyuk (one of our better players), and that's basically it. I could be totally wrong on all of that info, though. What are the team strengths and weaknesses? What's the best way (other than watching the season) to catch up on the team and the players? What's going on with our goalies?

Second question: what do I need to know about the Colorado Avalanche other than I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to still hate them? I live in Denver now, and one of my coworkers started giving me poo poo I think the first day I started; I was planning on reading up on them but the lockout pushed that deadline back pretty far. So now I need to know what I'm talking about and hope I don't get stabbed by her when I'm not looking.

Third; the more time I've spent outside of Michigan, the more I've found that most people really don't like the Red Wings; a guy I went to school with is a fan of the Yankees, Red Wings, Patriots, Notre Dame, and Lakers and he's a total rear end in a top hat about all of that; is that how most fans of the team are perceived? I know they've had an awesome string of success over the past 20+ years, which kind of makes sense that they would develop some animosity. I also just looked up Todd Bertuzzi's hit on Steve Moore since that's seemed to be the go-to insult for me at work, and man, that's awful :( Is he known as a dirty player or was that just a really lovely decision on his part?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out! All I need to do now is figure out a decent way to get the games on TV out here and I'll be all set; I think I saw a thread about it tho so I'll take that question over there.
edit: just signed up for GameCenter Live; $50 for the season is a hell of a deal!

team strengths: very good at puck possession although this might suffer thanks to the loss of lidstrom. datsyuk is one of the best and most admired all-around players in the league. team weaknesses: the defense is pretty weak looking right now and the team in general is pretty old without any prospects who look like they'll be a franchise player in the near future. best way to catch up on the team and players would just be to watch games, you'll get a feel for what players on the team are decent and the way they play very quickly. jimmy howard is your starting goalie and he's been good for the past few years if not elite - he's pretty young and will probably be around for a while. your backup goalie is jonas gustavsson whose nickname is "the monster," he has not been very good since coming over to the NHL but should be a good enough backup.

the avalanche and red wings haven't been really severe rivals for a while but they were thanks to claude lemieux, an avalanche player who broke kris draper of the red wings' face in the playoffs in the 90s and then the avalanche won the cup. they had some really nasty moments based around that but it's pretty much died down at this point.

i don't think red wings fans now are perceived as quite as lovely as the guy you described but they do sort of have the "yankees of hockey" thing surrounding them thanks to their consistent success over the past couple decades and not being french. pittsburgh are hockey's anointed franchise now though. also bertuzzi is always going to be hated for the moore thing but that was the only really really dirty thing he did in his career.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

a false posted:

also bertuzzi is always going to be hated for the moore thing but that was the only really really dirty thing he did in his career.

Counterpoint

He does this kind of poo poo all the time. Also, I lol'd.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 19, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bertuzzi was amazing as a Canuck in his heyday, one of the most dominant players I've ever seen. I considered him my favourite player at the time, as did many others. Don't really care if he is an rear end in a top hat - very few pro athletes seem like guys I'd want to hang out with.

Like many power forwards he just burned out really fast. So now he's just an rear end in a top hat who's ok at hockey.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I'm going to catch some of Ottawa/Winnipeg. I think I want to latch on to a Canadian team so this will be a feeling-out game for me.

ThisBunkCannotSwim
Sep 17, 2010

Get in the bin.

Hi, limey goon here. I've watched a bit of hockey in the past (the odd NHL game, plus some of the Winter Olympic games) and always enjoyed it, but I've decided to make a effort to try and follow the season properly for the first time this year. I think I've got the basics down as far as the rules go, and can pick up the fine detail as I go. I've already decided to support the Blackhawks, as my dad used to live in Chicago/Illinois in the 70's, and it's the main connection I have with the States. It's as good a reason as any I can come up with, and I generally follow the Chicago teams as a result (Bears and Bulls, mostly; never really got baseball, truth be told). Therefore, my questions are specifically Chicago-based:

1)Any chance of a quick run-down of their strengths/weaknesses as a team? I gather Patrick Kane is the main star of the squad, but anybody else I should be looking out for/hating for being a loving liability?

2)I gather Dan Carcillo is our alpha dick (instigator?), but he appears to be out for the season with a knee injury, so who's likely to be punching the goaltender in his absence?

3)Who are our main rivals? Here in Blighty, such things tend to be geography based (teams from the same or nearby towns/cities) but I gather that doesn't tend to fly so much in US sports, as much because often the next 'nearest' team can often be, in terms of pure mileage, further away than the entire length of our country. I already have the default 'gently caress Detroit' down...

Thanks in advance for any help you guys throw my way. Go Blackhawks. And stuff.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ThisBunkCannotSwim posted:

1) I gather Patrick Kane is the main star of the squad, but anybody else I should be looking out for/hating for being a loving liability?

2) I gather Dan Carcillo is our alpha dick (instigator?), but he appears to be out for the season with a knee injury, so who's likely to be punching the goaltender in his absence?

3) Who are our main rivals? Here in Blighty, such things tend to be geography based (teams from the same or nearby towns/cities) but I gather that doesn't tend to fly so much in US sports, as much because often the next 'nearest' team can often be, in terms of pure mileage, further away than the entire length of our country. I already have the default 'gently caress Detroit' down...

1) Kane's not the only star. Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa are also the big-name forwards, as well as Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook on defense.

2) Carcillo was out last season, he's playing as I type this. EDIT: And he just got injured and left the ice.

3) Detroit and Vancouver.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 19, 2013

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ThisBunkCannotSwim posted:

Hi, limey goon here. I've watched a bit of hockey in the past (the odd NHL game, plus some of the Winter Olympic games) and always enjoyed it, but I've decided to make a effort to try and follow the season properly for the first time this year. I think I've got the basics down as far as the rules go, and can pick up the fine detail as I go. I've already decided to support the Blackhawks, as my dad used to live in Chicago/Illinois in the 70's, and it's the main connection I have with the States. It's as good a reason as any I can come up with, and I generally follow the Chicago teams as a result (Bears and Bulls, mostly; never really got baseball, truth be told). Therefore, my questions are specifically Chicago-based:

1)Any chance of a quick run-down of their strengths/weaknesses as a team? I gather Patrick Kane is the main star of the squad, but anybody else I should be looking out for/hating for being a loving liability?

2)I gather Dan Carcillo is our alpha dick (instigator?), but he appears to be out for the season with a knee injury, so who's likely to be punching the goaltender in his absence?

3)Who are our main rivals? Here in Blighty, such things tend to be geography based (teams from the same or nearby towns/cities) but I gather that doesn't tend to fly so much in US sports, as much because often the next 'nearest' team can often be, in terms of pure mileage, further away than the entire length of our country. I already have the default 'gently caress Detroit' down...

1. They're gonna score plenty of goals, but the defense, and especially special teams and goaltending, were rather suspect last year.

2. I'm a firm believer that there's no reason to play guys that are pure instigators, and I don't like carcillo playing because he takes lots of bad penalties and is a reliability defensively. I'd much prefer to see young players like Brandon saad or Jeremy morin or Jimmy Hayes playing.

3. Hate St. Louis with all the passion you can muster. Vancouver and Detroit are the other 2 main rivals right now. The predators are more of a friendly rival for the blackhawks. Something could be brewing with the coyotes after an intense playoff series last year in which every game went to overtime but one.

ThisBunkCannotSwim
Sep 17, 2010

Get in the bin.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

1) Kane's not the only star. Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp, Marian Hossa are also the big-name forwards, as well as Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook on defense.

2) Carcillo was out last season, he's playing as I type this. EDIT: And he just got injured and left the ice.

3) Detroit and Vancouver.

1)Cool, well that bodes well. Should I assume they're pretty attack minded side from that, plus having just watched them slot five past the reigning champs?

2)That'll teach me to trust Wikipedia. And also to listen to the commentary properly. In my defence, I did have the volume down low so Mrs. ThisBunkCannotSwim could practice her Ukulele. No, I'm not being irreverent.

Also, I hope I'm not cursed... :ohdear:

3)That makes sense, but thought it was best to check.

Thanks!

Edit:

Lawnie posted:

1. They're gonna score plenty of goals, but the defense, and especially special teams and goaltending, were rather suspect last year.

2. I'm a firm believer that there's no reason to play guys that are pure instigators, and I don't like carcillo playing because he takes lots of bad penalties and is a reliability defensively. I'd much prefer to see young players like Brandon saad or Jeremy morin or Jimmy Hayes playing.

3. Hate St. Louis with all the passion you can muster. Vancouver and Detroit are the other 2 main rivals right now. The predators are more of a friendly rival for the blackhawks. Something could be brewing with the coyotes after an intense playoff series last year in which every game went to overtime but one.

Well, that answers my counter-question, and covers plenty of what I was after. Again, thank you guys for answering my stupid babby questions!

ThisBunkCannotSwim fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 20, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lawnie posted:

3. Hate St. Louis with all the passion you can muster.

Is this a bleed over thing from the Cubs and Cards or have the Blues actually damaged the Blackhawks in some fashion? I mean is any St. Louis team automatically hated in Chicago and vice versa or is there a specific history to the thing?

Hmm, now that I think of it I guess the Cubs haven't actually screwed over the Cards any time recently.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Grittybeard posted:

Is this a bleed over thing from the Cubs and Cards or have the Blues actually damaged the Blackhawks in some fashion? I mean is any St. Louis team automatically hated in Chicago and vice versa or is there a specific history to the thing?

Hmm, now that I think of it I guess the Cubs haven't actually screwed over the Cards any time recently.
Well it's a pretty natural rivalry like Chicago/Detroit. It definitely peaked in the early 90s but with both teams being good again the games have been physical/tough/awesome.

Also the Cubs only rival is the Cubs.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes, if both goalies who dressed for the game are injured a team can basically round up whoever they want to be the third.

A more common occurrence is when a team knows ahead of time one goalie is out and they need a last-minute backup. Here's one amusing example of who they got.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Levesque#Call-up_to_Vancouver

In a similar situation, the Penguins made a similar call-up (interestingly, against Vancouver), and the guy ahead of him played so badly that he actually played the second half of the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Pechurskiy
And his misspelled (!) jersey:

Robo-Pope fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 20, 2013

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

That's a pretty cliffhanger Wikipedia article

Wikipedia posted:

Alexander Alekseevich Pechursky (born June 4, 1990) is a Russian professional ice hockey goaltender. He is currently playing for Yuzhny Ural Orsk of the Vysshaya Liga. Pechurskiy was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins 150th overall in the 5th round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. He played one game for the Penguins in 2010. Pechursky then played in the Central Hockey League before returning to Russia, where he briefly played for Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the Kontinental Hockey League, and then

And then what Wikipedia?!?!

I kind of want to edit this page.

"and then he perfected nuclear fusion while practicing his post-to-post ritual in an NHL sized rink outside of Minsk. He subsequently retired from the KHL, a trillionaire, and went on to purchase Scarlett Johansson"

"and then was killed in a botched robbery attempt by two rodeo clowns. His head is preserved in mayonnaise in a Moscow bodega."

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the game was like 5-1 when they made the switch and i remember the canucks just stepping off the gas after the switch. it was kind of frustrating to watch the rest of the game just wasted because they didn't want to embarass the kid :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was at that game when Levesque almost played. Gotta admit I wanted Hedberg to stay down just for the pure craziness of it all.

The restaurant he works at is my wife's favourite. Heh

• Locked thread