Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got my cheetahmen II kickstarter thing in last week. looks real nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Hahaha, the Vince Perri quote. I wonder how mad he'd be if he saw that.

Nice new username by the way.

e: In the midst of my unending quest to decover the mysteries of the SPC700 I noticed there are several songs that play significantly differently on real hardware than any sort of SPC format player. I mean I'm sure this is not anything that shocks anybody but with the help of Mr. RGB NES's optical modded SFC Jr. I have an unbelievable amount of stuff to flood this thread with.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 19, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

RVWinkle posted:

I'm not really sure what you're arguing but there's still a fair number of great 3rd party games for the Gamecube. Just pulling from my limited collection I have found Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, P.N.03, Viewtiful Joe, Soul Calibur II, Eternal Darkness, and F-Zero GX (developed by Sega).

I dunno about Crytal Chronicals and PNO3 I remember CC being severely hindered by the extra attachments that you needed to own to play multiplayer(the 4 GBAs), but PN03 I played and just found it in my opinion to be cumbersome. You couldn't move and shoot at the same time and considering that Gun Valkyrie was of the similar genre and that was also a more together and plosihed game, it just left me with very mixed feelings. Soul Calibur II was very good but it also was multiplatform, and multiplatform was for most of Capcom's releases for the system. I personaly felt though that F-Zero GX's big flaw that stuck out at me was the difficulty, it just didn't seem to have a steady flow to it and it really sort of stuck out how apparent it was in that sense. In my opinion other than Windwaker, metroid, Fire Emblem, and Paper Mario:TYD most of the exclusives seemed to suffer from exactly that, you had alot of really good elements inplace but there was always one that held it back. Take Star Fox Assault and Star Fox Armada for example. Assault had alot of really good railshooter elements, but the other segments to the game kept it from doing what the series was really good at. Switching from the Arwing to Landmaster was a really good idea and worked well for the railshooter parts, but the on foot missions were just terrible.

Really I'd say I tried to really get into the system and it just never seemed to click on a personal level. I'm not saying that the system is terrible worst system ever, I'm just saying in my opinion I found that it's sort of average/luke warm overall. I felt the Wii produced much stronger titles like Super Mario galaxy 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblade, Last Story, and Monster Hunter.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
On the subject of Gamecube games and that era in general, it wasn't until recently that my PS2 collection surpassed my Gamecube collection. I was really adamant about building the Gamecube up before it was too late, and it looks like it paid off for the most part. I'm still on the lookout for Mario Party 5-7, a couple of other first-party titles, and at the very least Killer 7 for the system. Maybe RE: Code Veronica since I have all the other RE games on the system. It's a great system, and I played the hell out of it when I was in tech school and well after during my USAF days. A bunch of us played the crap out of Pac-Man Vs., the ultimate funhaver party drinking game that the Halo players would yell at because we were too loud and annoying and drunk.

I was also one of the smart ones when it came to ordering things from the Nintendo online store while I still had the chance. My official GCN component cable and my complete copy of Pokemon Box Ruby & Sapphire rule. :smug:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I think the guesswork in this thread on n64 vs gamecube isn't taking into account how easy it is to produce cds. I'm guessing that the n64 had significantly higher sales than gamecube but the gamecube probably had many more titles just because of how cheap it is to produce and manufacture games on cd compared to cartridge. There might be double the library for GCN than n64, but the sales numbers for games like goldeneye, super smash bros, mario party, mario 64 probably crushed the top sellers for game cube. Mario Sunshine and Windwaker are legitimately rare compared to SMB64 and Ocarina of Time.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
This talk about the gamecube and n64 libraries has made me realize that it may have been kinda silly to get a Everdrive 64 considering the three games I actually want to play, I already own. (the two Zelda games and Mario 64).

What were some of the other decent games in the n64 library that were worth playing?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

StellarX posted:

This talk about the gamecube and n64 libraries has made me realize that it may have been kinda silly to get a Everdrive 64 considering the three games I actually want to play, I already own. (the two Zelda games and Mario 64).

What were some of the other decent games in the n64 library that were worth playing?
Ogre Battle 64
Harvest moon 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Perfect Dark
Zelda:OoT
Zelda:Majora's Mask
Mario kart 64
Wave Race
Rogue Squadron

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Oh god this too, this is probably right up there with Excite Truck in terms of best 4 player racer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StellarX posted:

Haha this is how I ended up feeling after I got my N64 flashcart (though it wasn't a nice SD or CompactFlash based one). I already own pretty much all the N64 games I wanted to play.

I really like Battletanx and Battletanx Global Assault, even though they probably aren't objectively good games. BattleTanx is N64 exclusive (besides the Game Boy Color version but that's not really the same game) and BattleTanx: Global Assault is on both N64 and PSX but the N64 version is better. They're also generally available dirt cheap. Play them.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

The Gamecube library definetly wasn't as good or as vast as the Playstation 2's or even it's precursors(SNES,N64) or sucessor(Wii). It's got nothing to do with raging against Nintendo, especialy when I have the system in question with a decent selection of games. It's even mentioned by Nintendo that the Gamecube did not do as well as their previous and future systems.

The point I was trying to make is that kind of poo poo doesn't matter when it comes to retro games. System didn't sell well does not equate to system's games cost less 10+ years later and less games doesn't equate to games costing less either. Nobody would pay a penny for Master System poo poo if that were the case, in fact it's probably works more in the opposite way. Your original post brought up the Gamecube's poor sales as if it would make you expect the games to be cheaper.

Nobody is denying that the Gamecube sold poorly, but it's not like an anomaly that Gamecube game prices are going up.

EDIT: And you've got some rose tinted glasses for the N64 too, if anything it had even fewer good games than the Gamecube (though the good games it had were particularly good).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

:colbert:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

As a last soldering question for the moment, what's a good model of solder sucker? Ideally not too pricy for something that will definitely work, but I have no idea.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

drat, I forgot all about this, or I would have contributed! Is it still possible to get boxed copies?

HKR posted:

Eventually the ebay secondary market will crash aside from a handful of stand out titles (Like it or not, Mario and Zelda will always fetch higher prices simply for being Mario and Zelda games). I really doubt many people are looking to spend $5 or more on lovely Shovel Ware Title 6 to complete a collection, and eventually the guys who have these massive lots of lovely games will want them out of their house/warehouse. Be patient and give it time and keep an eye out on the local scene.

I hope this is the case. I'd really hate to see the entire used video game market turn into an unending cycle of Ebay gouging.

StellarX posted:

In adding to the previous list:

Mischief Makers
Space Station Silicon Valley
Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Jet Force Gemini
Battle Tanx
Super Smash Bros.
1080 Snowboarding

And depending on your tastes, I'd say most of the Turok and Star Wars games on the system are really worth a play. Also the Pokemon Stadium games, if you had the GB games and could make use of it.

Edit: Also reminds me that I usually do get into the N64 argument with friends, most of whom claim "there were basically no games for it. Or at least good ones". While it is true that it didn't have so many as a system in general, what was there was still pretty darn nice.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 20, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I remember playing through Winback on an N64 emulator and it seemed surprisingly decent.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

BoutrosBoutros posted:

The point I was trying to make is that kind of poo poo doesn't matter when it comes to retro games. System didn't sell well does not equate to system's games cost less 10+ years later and less games doesn't equate to games costing less either. Nobody would pay a penny for Master System poo poo if that were the case, in fact it's probably works more in the opposite way. Your original post brought up the Gamecube's poor sales as if it would make you expect the games to be cheaper.

Nobody is denying that the Gamecube sold poorly, but it's not like an anomaly that Gamecube game prices are going up.

Yes but the prices to the gamecube in relation to how cheap their PS2/Xbox equivelents are, there is a really really big divide moreso than Genesis prices to SNES prices. It's not an anomaly to that their prices are higher, what is, is the speed that they're rising.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 20, 2013

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Midnight Raider posted:

As a last soldering question for the moment, what's a good model of solder sucker? Ideally not too pricy for something that will definitely work, but I have no idea.

drat, I forgot all about this, or I would have contributed! Is it still possible to get boxed copies?

maybe? the buy now link does not work on the site. You might check all the updates on the kickstarter

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yes but the prices to the gamecube in relation to how cheap their PS2/Xbox equivelents are, there is a really really big divide moreso than Genesis prices to SNES prices. It's not an anomaly to that their prices are higher, what is, is the speed that they're rising.

I'm not convinced that this is more of a title specific phenomenon rather than a system specific one.

A single data point does not make proof but if the problem was the Gamecube then there should be significantly higher prices. In the Amazon marketplace fifty cents is not significant; at that low end I'd want to see a variation of several dollars. The new copy is a bit of an outlier since those new copies tend to be one offs while the used copies have many more available.

I think what you're seeing the push up in price that's affecting all retrogames. The premium titles for the Gamecube are getting shaken out and the price driven up on them. The same thing is happening on the XBox and the PS2, though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not convinced that this is more of a title specific phenomenon rather than a system specific one.

A single data point does not make proof but if the problem was the Gamecube then there should be significantly higher prices. In the Amazon marketplace fifty cents is not significant; at that low end I'd want to see a variation of several dollars. The new copy is a bit of an outlier since those new copies tend to be one offs while the used copies have many more available.

I think what you're seeing the push up in price that's affecting all retrogames. The premium titles for the Gamecube are getting shaken out and the price driven up on them. The same thing is happening on the XBox and the PS2, though.

Yeah the Amazon price is part of what people use to determine the overall value. The other two major sites that people use are Half.com and ebay. I mean look at the price difference in Half.com's Viewtiful Joe, it's abit more signifigant.
http://search.half.ebay.com/Viewtiful-Joe_W0QQ_trksidZp3030Q2em1446Q2el2686

Granted in all instances the price they list is before shipping, however Viewtiful joe 1 and 2 were games that Gamestop were still selling last month in their PS2 BOGO sale for 2 dollars each.

However for me personally I'm always abit hesitant to think that things like this have a solid base value, I mean look at what happened to action figures and comic books in the 90's. Things were overinflated to a great degree and alot of people overestimated the actual worth.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 20, 2013

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

However, the N64 only has 387 games, so you're wrong there on the N64 having more.

Even that many seems high, at least in North America. NintendoAge puts the total at 296. Unless that's an incomplete list?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Raider posted:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731&filterName=Type&filterValue=Desoldering

That one.

The dude I know who does RGB mods for the NES (a ridiculous process requiring a ridiculous amount of desoldering) swears by that one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

InvadErGII posted:

Even that many seems high, at least in North America. NintendoAge puts the total at 296. Unless that's an incomplete list?

The numbers I gave are for worldwide, yeah. For the N64 "Of the console's 387 official releases, 84 were exclusive to Japan, 50 to North America, and 4 to Europe". And then three games only available in Japan and Europe: Air Boarder 64, Centre Court Tennis/Let's Smash, and Rakugakids.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 20, 2013

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
We do happen to have a couple transfer paks and a copy of Pokemon yellow and red, so we tried out Pokemon Stadium. Playing in 3D with the Pokemon you have raised yourself on the game boy is definitely a unique experience. I really didn't get into these games at the time but the marketing and the technology behind things like the transfer paks, link cable trading, and even those Pokemon snap printer stations at blockbuster is really interesting.

I guess that whole scene greatly helped spread the idea of Nintendo being the "kiddie konsole" pusher for the rest of that generation and generations to come, but it was still an intriguing era in gaming history and technology.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is it worth buying a Dreamcast? It doesn't seem like it was out long enough to build up a decent library and after looking through some of the games it seems like a lot were ports.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Douche Bag posted:

Is it worth buying a Dreamcast? It doesn't seem like it was out long enough to build up a decent library and after looking through some of the games it seems like a lot were ports.

It has alot of Fighting/Arcade games, if you like those then you should get one.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Also shmups, very good shmups.

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

Douche Bag posted:

And you can find one for $20 usually so it's cheap to get started!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Thanks guys. I actually had a Dreamcast in 1999 or so but the only games I recall playing are Seaman and Blue Stinger. Not sure if I'd enjoy them as much now.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Are there any good DC shmups that aren't expensive imports?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Douche Bag posted:

It's dirt cheap and so are the games. Also I'm just gonna point out that it has 700 released titles, that's more than the GameCube, N64, or Saturn. It's also only 72 fewer games than the PS3.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Gunbird 2 may run you 20 bucks max.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Douche Bag posted:

Frequently the DC versions of multi-platform games are considered the definitive versions (e.g. Tony Hawk 2 for Dreamcast is IMO the best Tony Hawk game period).

If you like fighting games and shmups, the answer is a pretty enthusiastic yes, especially given that the DC runs on the same basic hardware as the NAOMI arcade boards, so a lot of ports are arcade-perfect.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Mars Matrix and Giga Wing are both terrific.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 20, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Anyone who isn't familiar with the whole Dreamcast library should get a Dreamcast, VMU, and 100-stack of Taiyo Yuden CDR's.

Also there are certain shmups any shmup fan must play, but it's hardly worth trying to get a physical copy of them due to the ridiculous price and rarity of them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ACID POLICE posted:

Anyone who isn't familiar with the whole Dreamcast library should get a Dreamcast, VMU, and 100-stack of Taiyo Yuden CDR's.

Speaking of VMUs I didn't realise that some games like 7th Cross Evolution take up an entire card. Is that the only game that does that or are there others?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

h_double posted:

Frequently the DC versions of multi-platform games are considered the definitive versions (e.g. Tony Hawk 2 for Dreamcast is IMO the best Tony Hawk game period).

Yeah it helps that most of the Dreamcast's life came before the PS2/GameCube/Xbox. Unquestionably better hardware than the Playstation and N64, so pretty much all the ports look and play best on Dreamcast.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Speaking of VMUs I didn't realise that some games like 7th Cross Evolution take up an entire card. Is that the only game that does that or are there others?

There's a lot that take up a lot of space. But VMUs are pretty cheap, and there are larger and third party memory cards out there, as well as each controller being able to hold two cards at once

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

WendigoJohnson posted:

I don't think that's the case with any other games I know of. I have one of these and have a friend's old VMU backed up onto one page, save files for probably 30-40 games on it and haven't even touched the last page. You might be able to find them easier under the Innovation brand but I can't speak as to the quality of those. I also paid like $7 shipped for it from Japan which is like two VMU's.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

WendigoJohnson posted:

I know Grand Theft Auto 2 demands most of your card and gleefully tells you it'll delete anything in its way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WendigoJohnson posted:

Animal Crossing will eat a whole GC memory card. But the Gamecube port of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory tops that by requiring a whopping 70 Blocks (The standard GC memory card only has 59).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My favorite memory-hog game is The Horde for the 3DO. To save in that game, it demands all of the 3DO's internal memory storage. And by "demand" I mean that, if you try to save, it will not prompt you that there is a lack of storage or ask if you want to delete any save files to make room, but rather it will forcably overwrite everything in storage to make room for its save file.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Animal Crossing will eat a whole GC memory card. But the Gamecube port of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory tops that by requiring a whopping 70 Blocks (The standard GC memory card only has 59).

Animal Crossing also came with its own memory card, though. Or was that only with early releases of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ACID POLICE posted:

Animal Crossing also came with its own memory card, though. Or was that only with early releases of it?

All North American copies came with the free memory card with Animal Crossing label.

• Locked thread