Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
What the hell people? DON'T quote spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If we're counting the thing I quoted as a spoiler, then maybe it should be removed from the OP as well.

EDIT: It's a thing that was revealed in the media blitz surrounding the Japanese release and will probably be revealed again before the american release, if that makes a difference.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 20, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Wait, there's 120 legacy characters you can recruit via the free Spotpass DLC, each encountered in their own mission? So there's 120 free DLC missions out of the box?

:stare:

e: VVV Okay that makes more sense. Still, it seems like the ability to pick and choose legacy characters in each playthrough is going to give the game incredible replay value.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 20, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Slate Action posted:

Wait, there's 120 legacy characters you can recruit via the free Spotpass DLC, each encountered in their own mission? So there's 120 free DLC missions out of the box?

Not out of the box. they get released at the rate of one set of ten characters every other week (I think the rate is right, it's been a while).

You can only have a total of 20 spotpass/DLC/streetpass characters with you at any given time, as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slate Action posted:

e: VVV Okay that makes more sense. Still, it seems like the ability to pick and choose legacy characters in each playthrough is going to give the game incredible replay value.
The legacy characters come in groups. So, for instance, you fight the FE10 characters (Micaiah, Sothe, Edward, Leonardo, Brom, Nephenee, Sigrun, Sanaki, Sephiran, Black Knight, Oliver) as one enemy army and they're recruited in that mission.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

cheetah7071 posted:

You can only have a total of 20 spotpass/DLC/streetpass characters with you at any given time, as well.

I really hope they upped the limit or something for the localization. 20 is way too low for how many characters you can recruit.

It isn't going to happen :(.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

The legacy characters come in groups. So, for instance, you fight the FE10 characters (Micaiah, Sothe, Edward, Leonardo, Brom, Nephenee, Sigrun, Sanaki, Sephiran, Black Knight, Oliver) as one enemy army and they're recruited in that mission.
Hmm? Then what is the meaning of this:

Serenes Forest posted:

Legacy characters: These are distributed as sets (usually categorised by a previous Fire Emblem game) of 10 SpotPass Teams, each led by a character you can recruit.
Encountering a SpotPass Team works in the same manner as StreetPass Teams, so you can recruit the legacy characters by swaying them with gold or by defeating them in battle. The teams include up to 10 characters--the legacy character plus up to 9 generic "Outrealm" units. After fighting, recruiting or buying items, the team will vanish from the map, until you summon them again.

I got that info from here. Is it wrong or am I just misunderstanding?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

This is wrong. They all unlock at once (or rather, they all get sent to your 3DS via spotpass at once, and they unlock at a rate of one per day in a random order). You can then summon them, one at a time, to the world map, where they can be recruited, one at a time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Huh, really? Guess I was misinformed then, my bad.

EDIT: Also, how 'unique' are the spotpass character models? I doubt much at all but I hope they at least bothered making Oliver as tubby as he is in FE9/10.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 20, 2013

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I can get Sanaki and Nephenee in another game? Oooooh~

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I can get Sanaki and Nephenee in another game? Oooooh~

Who cares about those losers? It's time to bring about Sethpocalypse 2013. This time... in 3D! :black101:

Please tell me that soloing the game with Seth is still a viable option in some fashion.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Strange Quark posted:

Who cares about those losers? It's time to bring about Sethpocalypse 2013. This time... in 3D! :black101:

Please tell me that soloing the game with Seth is still a viable option in some fashion.

If Seth is your player avatar, yes.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Also, how 'unique' are the spotpass character models? I doubt much at all but I hope they at least bothered making Oliver as tubby as he is in FE9/10.

I could tell you the answer to this but I'm not because it would make you sad.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Strange Quark posted:

Forget Sethpocalypse 2013. It's all about Moulder, baby.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I could have a team with Hector and Lilina on it? And, let's say...The Black Knight?

I may never play another video game.

Zore posted:

Literally all of them are built with the same options as you use to build your Avatar.

Odds are pretty good that a good 20+ old characters are going to be dead ringers for whatever Avatar you build except for maybe the hair color.
Even if this is the case, there's this:

Serenes Forest posted:

(All legacy characters use their original artwork for their in-game portraits.)

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 20, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

Huh, really? Guess I was misinformed then, my bad.

Literally all of them are built with the same options as you use to build your Avatar.

Odds are pretty good that a good 20+ old characters are going to be dead ringers for whatever Avatar you build except for maybe the hair color.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

How do you even get the Black Knight out of those options, then?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

How do you even get the Black Knight out of those options, then?

You don't. You get a mild likeness of (spoilers for FE10) Zelgius.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zore posted:

Now I just feel kind of disappointed. :(

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Do your dudes give you an option to change you avatar sometimes like in FE 12? Like, do they say hey [avatar] want me to give you a mullet? and your avatar's portrait changes.

Aww that was a pretty cool little thing in the last one.
VVVV

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 20, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DrManiac posted:

Do your dudes give you an option to change you avatar sometimes like in FE 12?

No. Your appearance, once chosen, is locked in and never changes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Leonardo? What an odd choice.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Some of the Spotpass units have skills or classes that a typical Avatar couldn't get otherwise. Tiki with her Manakete class for example, and I remember at least one male Spotpass Unit with Lightning Speed or Resistance Cry, both skills usually reserved for the ladies.

Same goes for the DLC Units, and they are also confirmed to have growth rates that can't be gotten with the Avatar in the main game. DLC Marth has a chance of getting +2 on his Luck with the Good Growths skill equipped which means that he has at least 85% Luck when not equipped with it. 85% Luck growth is impossible for the Avatar to get.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

DrManiac posted:

Aww that was a pretty cool little thing in the last one.
VVVV

Everyone else freaking out whenever you picked a new look was the best part I think.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Man is the leveling in the demo indicative of the actual game? Because I keep getting perfect or near-perfect levels.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Man is the leveling in the demo indicative of the actual game? Because I keep getting perfect or near-perfect levels.

Growth levels in this game are a lot higher than the usual Fire Emblems.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Looking over the classes, I noticed Battle Cleric. Its seems to be an unholy combo of :catholic: and :black101:

There needs to be a smilie for that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Growths are really high. To compare PoR Ike, and Chrom:

Ike:

code:

Hp  Str  Mag  Skl  Spd  Luk  Def  Res

75  50 	 20   50   55 	35   40   40

Chrom:

code:

85  60   10   60   60	70   45	  25

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh, wow. I hadn't realized how ridiculous Chrom's growths are. He's higher or equal to Ike on every stat but Mag and Res...and FE9!Ike was basically the gold standard for Lords.

That is bonkers. :unsmigghh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stat caps are also a lot higher in Awakening

PoR Ike's

code:

60  26 	 20   27   28 	40   24   22

Great Lord Chrom

code:

80  44 	 30   41   42 	46   41   39

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basically, FE13's growths are like FE10's if they weren't ridiculously lopsided.

Aran's rockin' a 70% defense growth, and a 75% strength growth, but he also has a 35% speed growth.

EDIT: v That too. In relation to their stat caps and enemy stats, growths aren't that out of control. Not to mention the pair up system and needing 5 speed to double makes higher numbers in some stats mean less.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Growth rates are crazy in general but the caps are a lot higher too, I think?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Y'all are lying about them growth rates

(courtesy of some poster on NeoGAF)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can I mention that I love the hilarious quotes for when people level up?

Most of the time they're boring but they make empty/crappy levels worthwhile.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Chrom got a 1 for me and I wholeheartedly agreed with his "Well, that was underwhelming..."

Just beat the demo on Lunatic. Honestly my biggest worry with the higher difficulties lies simply in one question - how the hell am I supposed to get people experience? Chrom managed a couple levels, as did Lissa, and Frederick got one, but Avatar couldn't get much at all, and screw trying to level the other two doofi that roll in. This game's gonna be brutal on higher difficulties, isn't it? :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theshim posted:

Chrom got a 1 for me and I wholeheartedly agreed with his "Well, that was underwhelming..."

Just beat the demo on Lunatic. Honestly my biggest worry with the higher difficulties lies simply in one question - how the hell am I supposed to get people experience? Chrom managed a couple levels, as did Lissa, and Frederick got one, but Avatar couldn't get much at all, and screw trying to level the other two doofi that roll in. This game's gonna be brutal on higher difficulties, isn't it? :(

One thing to keep in mind which may not be in the demo:

The Partner System allows you to severely increase the stats of a character. That, combined with forged and special weapons, allows you to give pretty significant boosts to a single character. The boosts only get higher as you get further into the game, and you'll also have access to tonics and other temporary stat boosters.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

theshim posted:

Wait, how did your Avatar not gain any levels? They get 1.5X exp from being in double, and since you should always be doubling on Lunatic, and since they have one of the only 'safe' attacks you can make with their ranged magic, I don't get how you didn't get like 5ish levels on them. That was the only way I got through the chapters, and by that point my Avatar had mostly superior stats to Frederick which helped a ton.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

theshim posted:

Haven't managed to actually clear Ch1 on Lunatic yet, but I've gotten close, and haven't had any issues getting the Avatar levels. You end up with a bad build for him or something? Everyone else is pretty much screwed though as I understand, yeah. From what I hear, a Lunatic team ends up consisting of Chrom, Avatar, and whichever prepromotes (and/or kids) you've got who can survive a round or two, with any other slots filled by healbots or crybots because getting almost anyone else enough EXP to keep up long-term isn't really practical unless you abuse the grinding DLC.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Zore posted:

Wait, how did your Avatar not gain any levels? They get 1.5X exp from being in double, and since you should always be doubling on Lunatic, and since they have one of the only 'safe' attacks you can make with their ranged magic, I don't get how you didn't get like 5ish levels on them. That was the only way I got through the chapters, and by that point my Avatar had mostly superior stats to Frederick which helped a ton.
I tended to let Chrom grab the "safe" kills while I had Avatar doubled onto Frederick. Not ideal, but I was simply trying to beat the demo. I found it difficult most of the time to get enemies low enough to pick them off with Chrom/Avatar without getting murdered on the enemy phase, given that the enemies always come in three or four at a time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean, I know what this means, but this just sounds hilarious out of context.

• Locked thread