Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Stavos - Eisos, Imperial University

Stavos responds to Edo's query with a short grunt. Then, he replies quietly "I doubt that I'll be arrested, but I suspect that our fates are now somewhat intertwined. To be brief, my interest in you is with your abilities, but moreso is in how they developed and how they manifested. Tell me, is this a skill that has existed for only a few weeks, not for years? Was its arrival marked, perhaps, with a star crossing the sky? Are you able to almost instinctively feel the nature of your patients ailments?"

Stavos hands the idol to Edo, again. "Take it, keep it, and do me this one favor. Examine this, closely, and tell me in what way, save for being opal, this idol is different from the one that you carved and sold? My experience is with the transformation of materials, not people. Would you not swear, were you to not know any better, that this is in fact the same idol that you made? The very same down to the smallest mistakes and the cut of the grain? Does that not make you the least bit curious"

Stavos pauses for a moment, to let Edo look for a moment. "I'd rather not discuss this any more until this affair is over. Please, understand that I am myself trying to understand what has happened with you, and that I am trying to unravel a mystery of serious consequence. If you are the least bit curious, then take this as a gift to help cover your expenses during your stay here," states Stavos, holding out a small pouch of gold, "and visit me at my Laboratory when we are finished. If you do not like what I have to say and what there is to see, then I will bother you no more."

Giving Edo the idol to take a closer look at. Trying to get him to understand that it's actually his carved idol. Giving him a small pouch of gold for expenses as a gift, and asking him to stop by my lab once this is all done. Doing this in a sotto voice or at least trying to not let the wizard overhear. Frankly, I'm sure the wizard hears all of this anyway, so I'm trying to be vague about the idea that maybe I have special powers too.

I'm not going to be using Transmutation while I'm around the wizards; the last thing I need is for their medallions to all start glowing and point at me or something.

Gonna stick with Edo during the interrogation, etc, and act as his "guardian" or w/e if the Whizzards require someone to keep him out of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo, (Eisos, Imperial University)

Edo carefully examines the carving. The surface is identical, even to the marks of the sandpaper he used. The weight is off, of course, but that may be accounted for by the different material - he's never handled opal, let alone quite so much of it. He also spots a few flaws he now wished he'd fixed when he was making it, but Edo suspects opal would present an entirely different challenge to wood or stone.

"That's my carving, sure. And I am very curious about what you've done. My skill appeared with the starfall, like yours." He comes to a decision. "I'll come with you after we're done here."

Actions as per previous - no relevant skills but trying to be hush-hush.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm - Minburg

His heart sank with grief. His pride and hubris cost the lives of hundreds or thousands of his children. It was a pyrric victory in the best of terms, though even he could not justify the massacre that he had done upon them. He sank back to his home to nurse his charges back to health with a heavy heart.

Using Beekeeper +4 and Entymologist +2 to try to nurse the population back to health :(

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
The Frozen Wilds, outskirts of Northward

Degowin barely paused to consider his options. The others had meant to kill him. He stopped to consider the snow pile. The storm he had made would cause the tracking to go more slowly. It would take a little digging and a keen eye to discern where the tracks were. Degowin continued into the particularly cold and dense part of these woods.

Going into the woods, following the tracks. Using Master Hunter[+4] again.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Aldrain (Eosia, Great Library of Eisos)

Aldrain selects a few books, and makes his way back to the rest of the library, in search of a meal, intending to flip through his books, and ponder the strange experience that absorbed his attention for so long.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam - Mines of Sellos

Adam finished the un said words after Fel's voice had carried out. The folksong was nothing new. He knew it. His father knew it. And, if he could find a very short woman, his children would know it too. He had forgotten the story that came with it, the larger than life tale told by his forefathers that made it seem like a child's scary ghost story.

Only he couldn't ever recall it sounding so... chilling.

"Oh, do you know? Then, do we have your word, that you won't attempt to hurt, trap, or otherwise bring us any harm if we came under there? It's not like we can breathe in a mountain you know! You promise on your father's name that you won't do anything unwanted to me and my friend here, and I'll come right on down to talk."

Action - Banter exchange. If a roll is needed:
+2 for Calm and composed: No need to rush down there just yet. Especially after that lovely bit of poetry. The man is clearly dangerous to Kovar, maybe even me.
+4 Metal worker: Fel and I have been working in the mines for a while now. He SHOULD listen to a friend... should...

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Brightening at the prospect of avoiding further complications, I slap the bandit on the back and continue trotting my newly claimed horse through the gate and in the direction of the marketplace.

"Look at that, what luck. Didn't I tell you that surrender was the best option? It's likely enough that you'll get off without losing any major limbs or being harmed very much at all."

Leaning in my saddle and snagging a pair of apples from a vendor's stall, I drop a coin behind us and offer the bandit a bite.

"Now I'm not a legal expert of any kind, but seeing as how one of us may soon be flogged and branded painfully in an uncomfortable place I figure the least I can do is stand you a snack. Apple? Oh! There's also the matter of all the stuff you guys stole. You wouldn't happen to remember what was taken from whom at all would you? We could probably take off a few lashes or something if enough people get their stuff back. You guys didn't straight out kill anybody you met right? I think we'd have heard about it if there were a band of vicious murderers hanging out in the woods, and the Duchess would have sent out some troops to root you out by now if you had."

Medieval punishments are public and brutal aren't they? How about we take him to some sort of marketplace and do the business there? Flogging is brutal but mostly harmless in comparison to what else he could get for being a bandit, so if he gets one of those I'd call it a satisfactory resolution for the both of us. We can also take the opportunity to make it public that if anybody wants to come forth and claim goods lost to these particular bandits they should make the effort to do so now.

Roara
Nov 14, 2012
Red: Val Aman... maybe!

"This is very different from a tea party," Red commented to herself before approaching the strange group. She had, up to this point, seen numerous strange things, but she was used to seeing strange things. Her hallucinations, though, were never quite this cheerful, so she finally gave in and pinched her cheek, curious to see if she'd wake up as a result... and, suddenly, a little worried about what she might wake up to.

Assuming she stayed in the strange world, she'd ask the tin-man for some tea after settling in at the table. It's not that she disliked cake, but she just couldn't trust it in general. If there were any biscuits or cookies, though, she might have found herself nibbling on those while trying to join whatever conversation the table presently had.

She also tried to ignore the water bowl - dogs weren't the only creature to drink from a bowl, and she wasn't entirely opposed to cats. In fact, since the lion seemed especially civil, she'd ask it, in as inoffensive and cautious of a voice as she could muster, "Could I perhaps... might I... would you be offended if I pet you?"

D: Phantasms +2 (please let the lion let me pet him!)
M: Hallucinations -2 (I'm pretty sure this whole thing counts as a hallucination by this point)

Roara fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 15, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Vanthos (Eosia, Eisos)

Vanthos stays downstairs a long time. A long time. He's thinking. About his family. About the voice, and the hunger in it. But mostly, he's thinking about the power. He wants it. He needs it. He's willing to do anything he needs to to get it.

So that's it, then. He's committed. The demon said that the imp would aid him if he needed it, but he felt a need to do these killings himself. So, he sharpens a knife. He loves his family. He can at least give them a clean death. And he's done enough studying of medical textbooks to know that a sharp blade to the carotid artery provides a relatively quick and painless death. So, he leaves the imp in the basement for now.

That night, he makes love to his wife. It's something they haven't done for a long time. There's no particular reason they haven't. It's just that you get busy and tired, and used to each other. But that night, he romances her like he hadn't for a long time. Then he waits, until she sleeps, lying next to her in bed until her breathing gets heavy and regular and she stops moving. He gets out of bed, but that doesn't wake her. She's sleeping heavily enough. Then, he goes out and gets the knife. He comes back, puts his hand over her mouth, and slits her throat. "For Balsataroth.", he whispers as her eyes open and she struggles to scream. But she's too weak, and she dies.

Then, he goes into his son's room. The boy's sleeping. He thinks back to the child's birth, and the first time he held his son in his arms. The men of Eisos, as a rule, were not affectionate with their children, and did not spend too much time with their young children. But this boy was different. After three daughters, he had almost given up hope of an heir. This was his legacy. Proof that his name would not die with him. Someone to teach and who would take over the shop after him. The boy was his hope.

He slit his throat, and then ordered the imp to take care of the bodies.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Daveron (Arandia, Harvan)

Daveron grumbles, and scratches his stubble. He follows Ilvis toward the marketplace.

Following Ilvis, and making grumbling sounds toward people that look at me.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The Breaking of the Heavens
Vanthos (Eosia, Eisos)

Vanthos summoned the imp as he put down the body of his dead son, he felt kind of numb like something inside him was hollow. It was an odd and distinctly existential moment, being aware of the entirety of his body and being. An hour ago this emptiness might have bothered him, but something had changed just moments ago when he had slit his son's throat. While he spent a few moments contemplating this, wondering whether this had to do with him committing a heinous crime, or if it was something to do with his deal with Balsataroth, the air grew still around him. Suddenly without warning reality around him cracked, a visible line growing hot red in the air and smelling of sulphur. It grew slightly larger until a great claw wrenched it open further, with red leathery skin and clawed nails of black stone. The hand widened the crack wide enough so that another could reach through. Both hands were large enough that they could easy grab Vanthos entirely and the one not holding back reality did so, dragging him into the place beyond. There was an incomprehensible sensation as he passed beyond reality to another plane and the shock caused him to blank out for a moment.

When Vanthos opened his eyes he felt heat blast his face. He stood upon a blasted rock in the middle of a fiery void, filled with the smell of burning rock and blood. The rock itself was smallish, about the size of a small house and had a flat-ish surface, as though it had been ripped from some kind of flat badland. In front of him was the immense form of Balsataroth, who dwarfed Vanthos completely in size and in prsence. This close to the being he could feel as though the mere presence of it threatened to suffocate him. Balsataroth noticed him stand up and chuckled a low, rumbling laugh that held no pleasure that anyone would wish upon themselves.

"I had not thought you had the courage to do it Godling, but it is done." He says and gestures behind you. As you turn and look Vanthos sees a burning portal leading into his son's room. There is a filmy surface over it except for the crack, and as he watches the crack seals over. "Do not be deceived, the connection is done, your world is breached." He says and as you turn around to face the creature again he has come closer to the rock Vanthos stands upon. "You have torn a hole in the wall around your world that prevented us from entering, and you from leaving. This realm is created in the gap between my plane and your world. Mortals tend to have quaint names for it like "Hell" or other such things, but it is yours and thus yours to name. And to do with as you wish." Balsataroth drew closer as he spoke, until he was right next to the rock that was your grounding in the void. His eyes burned with fire, terrible and filled with the promise of unspeakable acts and also of power, more power than Vanthos had even possibly begun to imagine.

"But I promised you a reward did I not? Come, let me remove the shackles of that pathetic form Godling." The Demon Lord said and suddenly grasped Vanthos in his hands. The hands cupped together enclosed Vanthos with room to move but there was no air. Vanthos began to panic as the heat inside grew unbearable and the air grew so full of sulphur, blood and bile that he could not breathe. As his body was wracked in pain he felt himself stretch and change, but the entire cacophony of his senses drove him almost insane and he could make nothing of the experience. Then after a time of pain, suffering and confusion that seemed to transcend eternity itself he was Different. The Demon Lord opened his hands and Vanthos floated in the void, no longer trapped by any false gravity or rules. The place was his to shape and command, although he had no power to do so yet. "Rise my Duke, cast aside your old name and swear fealty to me with your new one."

Vanthos gains the Divine Trait: Demonic Duke [+2], as well as his foible Forbidden Magic [-2] becomes Demon [-2] to represent his new status as the world's first Demon.

All Divine-Empowered beings:

Suddenly you feel something change, a terrible sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. You can't say how you know, but something has broken an important barrier in the world and breached it. Now that this has happened something has grown where it should not.

Andra (Arandia, Woods north of Coltain)

"But..." Andra hears from more than a few people, but the mob has grown silent and suddenly afraid because of your words. "Perhaps...you are right. We will wait for Civar to return then. You will guide us home, won't you Lady Andra?" One of the merchants says much to your surprise. No one had called you Lady Andra before, they had used milady or lady yes, but not as a proper title. There is a respect shining in the eyes of the people and you feel a faint connection to them. "You stood in the face of magic unscathed, but you aren't a witch, shaman or mage. How did you do it?" Suddenly Andra realises she is the very literal centre of attention of the group, although it might be best to lead them away from Civar and the witch for now. Then you feel something wrong happen, far to the north.

Success, you've also gained some followers for managing to stand stalwartly in the face of magic and being clearly not a mage of some kind. Cultivate this and you'll be eligible to gain a new Divine Trait.

Liliana (Taeless, Taelos - The Pits)

The gate opposite to you on the far side of the arena was open and another figure, a man walks out. You find yourself facing another gladiator in the pit, one who looks equally surprised as you. As you both eye each other trying to figure out if you're meant to be killing each other a loud voice yells over the crowd. "TODAY WE HAVE NEW CHALLENGERS. TWO SCRAPS OF MEAT, READY TO FIGHT FOR THEIR LIVES AGAINST THE PACK. WILL THEY SURVIVE, OR WILL THE DOGS EAT MEAT TONIGHT?" It yells out as the gates to either side of you opens, and 6 vicious and wild dogs run out and begin to circle around the two of you. As Liliana backs into the centre of the arena with the man behind her, she feels the terrible change in the world, somewhere to the west far, far away.

Adam and Kovar (Taeless, Mines of Sellos)

There was a long pause, so long that Adam began to think Fel hadn't heard his words. Then there was an awful sensation of wrongbrokentearingpain from the earth. Fel screamed in anger and pain and the ground around you vented steam as a tremor began to cause cracks to form. Kovar for his part felt the change, not through the earth as Adam did but he knew something had changed, a new and possible terrible entity had entered into the game. He didn't know anything about it except it had the ability to make something happen such that it felt like the world had changed, coming from the far west. Then the tremor died down and Fel spoke, a hoarse whisper through the ground. "Can you feel it Adam, already the world is changing. It is hard for me to talk this far, I am tired...come down to me in the Heart of the Mountain. I will not harm you, you have my word on it. But come alone, or if you must bring the humans with you...I will see no harm comes to them either if they come. Your companion must remain here."

Success, Adam convinced Fel to be willing to talk, but Fel insists on it being deeper in the mountain.

Ocatagon (Taeless, Taelos)

Octagon was moving through the town towards the house of the man he had been paid to kill, when he felt ill. Something had changed and not for the better. It was all he could do to not fall or to drop the spider, which seemed a deadly thing to do. "What's wrong, does this man frighten you that much, you that would court such sweet death as me?" The spider says in a decided spidery chuckle. "But I will do what you wish, just get me closer to the man and I will wait for him to be...unwary." The sense of wrongness had come from the far west, and although it was no longer a sense of sickening nausea if you thought about it, he could sense it still ever so faintly.

Civar (Arandia, North of Coltain)

Civar and Aideen hear the sounds of the mob moving away from them. Just as Civar thought they were out of the woods, so to speak, he felt the tear from to the north. Order had been broken, something vile and chaotic had breached into the world and changed something for the worst. He stopped for a moment to gather himself afterwards, which drew a surprised look from Aideen. "The mob is moving away, is something wrong?" She asks with concern, having been startled out of her usual bleak pessimism and brooding anger. As it died down, Civar felt a connection to the people that had been following Andra as well. He knew that if he could show them his new power, help them to become more orderly that they would follow him. This would grant him greater strength, because that was how his power and perhaps Andra's worked as well as she had seemed to be resistant to the witch's magic, far more than he had been at least.

Success, Aideen is taken in by your stories which is why she is surprised and concerned when you feel ill.

Mazir (Elysian Sands, Elysia)

You are suitably entertaining your guests when suddenly something changes. Something evil and...somehow similar to you has entered the world and changed something. You feel like you have competition somehow, something far to the west has happened that might interfere with you...or possibly be a boon. It's hard to tell from this distance. Looking at Berel you see nothing other than a small amount of surprise at your misstep. Perhaps he did not notice? Shortly after this Hartun and Zel return with a sack each over their shoulders. They seem perturbed as well, and Zel even asks you; "Has something happened master? We thought we felt...something, for a moment. We do not think we were seen, but we are still nervous."

Success, you are a hospitable host while Zel and Hartun do their task.

Edo and Stavos (Eosia, Eisos Imperial University)

Magister Ajikan leads you to the entrance when you suddenly feel terribly weak. Stavos feels a terrible change in the city, something that has changed something about reality itself. Edo feels like a terrible wound has been rent in life itself, the world having suddenly been injured but his magic tells him nothing as he flings it out to discover the source of the unpleasant sensation. Whatever happened was close, in the city both of you are sure, but you cannot tell where. Ajikan turns as you both pause and raises an eyebrow. "Come, the tests will not be harmful...or do you find yourselves in awe of such a splendid building? I imagine neither of you have been so close to the palace before." His smile is silky smooth and although not directly so, extremely arrogant in a thinly veiled way.

Success, the Magister seems unaware of your whispering

Wilhelm (Arandia, Minburg)

Wilhelm's grief manages to filter its way into the hive and the colony, and both seem to hasten to tend to the precious larvae that they produce. Even the queen seems more energetic, and in a couple of days both will have replenished their numbers. As the evening comes you feel something terrible to the north, but the hive and colony know nothing about it. Your only response to your queries is a strange sense of insectile confusion. However Wilhelm realises the asset that soldier ants bring to their hives, bees have no such analogue.

Success, the bees and ants make a concerted effort to replenish their numbers. Insects are brief creatures, but breed quickly at least as long as they are not too diminished.

Degowin (Frozen Wilds, Whitewoods)

Following the tracks takes some time, but Degowin is determined to have vengeance for what was done to him. So it is that he spends time wandering the woods carefully following the tracks. Although he loses them a number of times, he finds that he can use his cold ability to part the snow a little and sense where it had filled in the gaps made by the thick boots of the hunters. Eventually you come to a collection of a few tents. There is a sheltered fire amongst them, but they all seem asleep for the time being. Then the shock comes, the feeling of something hot and burning rending a hole in the world and something left in its wake, small and smouldering. It comes from the south, down where the 'civilised' peoples lived.

Success, you manage to track down the hunters and have figured out how to track after a snowfall using your power. Obviously this won't work with rain or something that's not inherently cold.

You pass the librarians who look at you quizzically and mention that supper was being served in the mess hall. As you head over there, you feel a sharp ache as someone does something in the city. Something that changed something important, something that was vile enough that you feel for a brief moment it would be better to burn such knowledge should it ever be recorded. Then the moment passes and you are left to continue towards the mess hall should you wish. Your body at least makes this desire known to you.

Ilvis and Daveron (Arandia, Harvan)

Ilvis' rather unusual way of dealing with the bandit manages to attract a fair amount of attention. People are quick to claim objects and you begin to suspect that not many of them are being entirely truthful about it. But when it is said and done, much of it has been claimed and reclaiming it would be rather...difficult. Ilvis begins to run into complications such as people wanting to know who this mysterious knight is and where you are from. Apparently many of the townsfolk have short memories and have forgotten the tournament already. Daveron on the other hand is content to lay back and snigger at all the trouble her soft-heartedness brings, with the bloody armour and a belligerent glare being enough to ward anyone off bothering him.

Red (Val Aman, a Tea Party in the Woods)

"Only if you catch that pesky mouse first." It says in a matter of fact tone, which prompts you to see a mouse pop out of a milk-jug. After about 5 minutes of chasing you finally manage to corner the mouse in a cookie jar and present it to the Lion. "Excellent!" He says happily and pops the mouse in his mouth. It looks nervously out of his ear after a couple of seconds but seeing Red, decides to hide again.

The Lion enjoys your petting very much, especially when you scratch it behind its ears. As you are indulging it to a loud throaty purr it says; "I died once you know. There was a witch and a lot of snow, as well as this mouse. He keeps running away from me so I have to keep catching him. Sometimes he can be a real nuisance, but he's a good friend and as brave as they come." There's a small cheep from the Lion's ear in response to that comment. "Dying was pretty odd though-" The Lion says and suddenly everything is wrongwrongwrongwrong something's cracked and it's going to get you. It's far away in the west but you can't help but feel it will hunt and chase you. Suddenly the sound of a wolf's howl comes from far away in the distance.

Success! You pet the Lion.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"What me? I'm a uh... knight errant. Eisner Faust, remember? I won the gold ring?"

Oh balls have they already figured it out? What am I going to do if somebody gets word to Mu-

Catching a shiver I drop the apple in the dirt as the worst feeling of goosebumps ever crawl up my spine. Grimacing within my helmet as the feeling subsides and settles into a strange and painful cramp in the pit of my stomach I look down at the expectant faces of the townsfolk.

"But right, so! This man here is a bandit! Apparently he's part of a band who have robbed and wronged many of you! Having caught him and exterminated the rest of his compatriots with the help of the brave Ser Daveron, he must pay the price for his crimes! We live in a society of laws, which would have justice wrought against those who do ill."

Leading the man to a post in the center of the square, I tie him down and raise my voice again to the crowd.

"So then, a flogging! Recount your crimes, Bandit! And repent of them that you may sin no more."

I'd like to take an action to construct a thesis statement wherein it is clear the best way for Dr. Banditon Ph.D to pay for his crimes is to be pelted by stones, rotten fruit, and dung, and then painfully whipped in a public spectacle. You know that kinky scene in Mel Gibson's Passion movie? Let's go for one of those as the goal here. I'll talk up the banditry and subsequent bandit exterminations that Daveron and I went through to build their trust in how totally awesome and non-soft on crime we are, and how Professor Lecturer Banditskiwiez surrendered in exchange for this gentle clemency so it's only fair he get off with a lesser punishment and I promised it to him besides.

+4 Champion: Come on guys, SOME of you have to remember me from that tournament right? It was only like a few days ago and I totally kicked rear end. Wasn't I really cool in that? I totally dominated all of those bigger, burlier dudes. In our primitive medieval society that makes me a trustworthy guy worth reckoning right?

+4 Martial Training: Dad says a lot of the time all that stuff about comportment, military bearing, and having an air of authority is really just pretending you've got big brass ones and faking that you know what you're doing all the time. I've practiced doing speeches like this dozens of times. in front of a mirror in my bedroom Gotta establish authority, have a plan, and keep my voice shouty. Easy as pie.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Andra (Arandia, Woods north of Coltain)

Andra makes a show of considering the men's questions while she tries to recover from that... whatever it was... to the north. She'll have to go find out what the hell that was. Later for that. Reassure the men first.

"Of course I'll guide you home, men. That's half the job of an officer, you know." She starts walking as she speaks, fairly willing the men to follow along... in the direction Civar didn't go. The sudden title doesn't faze her; she figures the men are impressed, is all. She was the same way when she was younger; her Sergeant wasn't really 'Sergeant' until she learned to respect the woman. "The first job is to see the goal completed - that's done. The witch is burned out and on the run and no longer in a position to threaten your caravans, yes? The second half of the job is bring your people home. And that's precisely what I aim to do." She grins broadly, clapping a nearby militiaman on the shoulder as she leads the men back towards Coltain.

"As for how I stood up to the witch," she continues - though only once the group is well and truly underway, "I'll be the first to admit, I'm not entirely certain. I expect it was due to the way she attacked. You all felt it, I presume - the fear and dread. Well, I was a soldier for most of my life; fear and dread are part of the job. That's why soldiers train so much, you know, so that they can keep fighting even when they're scared. The training takes over when the conscious mind can't handle things. That's probably what it was.You men didn't have the benefit of all that training, and that's not your fault, so I don't want any of you feeling lousy about what happened, all right? I mean it. You did exceptionally well, and I'd be proud to have any of you under my command."

Would I, though? she wonders as the march continues, looking pensive. After my last command... would I really be able to...? But she only has to look around, look at the faces of these men, to know the answer. Some of them, doubtless, have the itch - the willingness to throw oneself into the meatgrinder for a good and worthy cause, the curious mix of naivete and sheer brass balls that it takes to be a soldier. And if they don't have a commander, they'll just get themselves killed to no purpose, so someone'll have to do the job.

When she leaves Coltain to head to the north - and she will head to the north, sometime, to find out what in the hell that sensation was - she may have company. Oddly, she finds herself less unnerved by the notion than she might have when she first left the Verdant Isle.

Using Charming as Hell [+4] to lead the men back home. Since I seem to recall it being more than a one-day trip, Andra will begin drilling any of the men who want to volunteer in combat techniques, using Doughty Warrior [+4]. And if - as I suspect will happen - any of the men want to keep following her, well, she'll just have to bring a posse with her wherever she goes next. That's doable. :D

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg -> South Gindarr Jungle

Something dire had happened- Disgusting, gut wrenching. He did not know what it was but it made his heart skip. Perhaps he had finally gone over that edge of madness that he had been pondering about for the past few days, though it was clear enough that his reality was real.

But that feeling- It was undeniably real and it made him worry. He felt that he had to surround himself with protection, to protect his charges, his life. His community of men and bugs alike. The people did not realize that a time of change had come upon them, where before bees were simple servants of convenience and ants were nuisances for picnickers, but he was now responsible for the protection of Minburg from this feeling. An awful one for sure.

So he pulled on his protective beesuit made of thick wools and lined with reeds to hold the fabric away from his body. He tied it closed to his body and made for the jungle once again, determination in his cranky steps.

His penetration into the jungle brought him back to the wasps, though he was without his bees nor his ants, and he waded towards the same swarm that had rebuked him so long ago.

Using Master Beekeeper +4 to be able to put myself in the middle of the wasps, and Hivemind Usurper +2 to try and get control of them again.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

"It appears I'm not wanted for this conversation. Jessup, if you'd accompany Adam." Leaning over to the guard he whispers, "Keep an eye on him, the change has left him somewhat emotionally fragile, and I'm afraid he might retreat back into his shell if pushed to hard by events. If he needs it, feel free to encourage him." Now at an audible level, Kovar continues, "Algard, you're with me. We're heading back to town to try and win the townspeople over. I don't think Fel will respond aggressively, and with what just happened it's more important than ever to move my plan forward."

Kovar sighs, "It's proof that there are malicious forces out there, the world has begun to move and if we don't forge the people in the towns around the mountain into the foundations of an empire, then some other entity will swallow them up, and there's no telling what happens then. Now, I'm going to start doing what I can for the town. I'm relying on you to convince Fel to join with us, it's the only way to truly protect the town." Kovar places a reassuring hand on Adam's shoulder, "I'm entrusting this vital mission to you, but I wouldn't do it if I feel you couldn't handle it. You've got tremendous potential, and sometimes you just have to dive into the deep end. Now, get going."

Kovar turns to leave, and Algard falls in step with his employer. Once they get to town the general intends to search out problems one of his particular talents can fix. He hadn't been lying to Adam, with the catastrophe he had so recently sensed, winning over the townsfolk and forging them into an empire had just a goal to an absolute necessity.

Once he arrived in the town, things began to naturally fall into place. It started with the guards, with a good word from Algard and a little show of his prowess with a blade, they were willing to accept some instruction on how to better use their truncheons. The haze that had lingered over him on the walk in was dispelled quickly as he returned to doing what he was best at. The guards led him to some of the shopkeepers they frequented who were having trouble keeping their shelves stocked. Once, Kovar realized that the same principles that governed keeping an army supplied applied to keeping a stores supplies in order, a few critical pieces of advice and a demonstration helped set them on the right track. The shopkeeper recommended him to a friend who was stuck in an intractable dispute with a customer. Kovar acted as a mediator, his natural charisma and commanding presence an aid in helping both sides reach an acceptable solution.

These were, however only the start of Kovar's campaign to win the townspeople and he continued to apply his skills to the advise the people of Sellos.

Sending Jessup to keep an keep an eye on Adam and help in case things go south, then giving Adam a little speech intended to boost his confidence.

Next, heading into town in order to try and win over the townspeople by helping to resolve problems in the town.

Weaponmaster[+2] - To give the guards some instruction on how to better use their truncheons, and any other problems that can be solved by applying the forms and motions of the various weapons Kovar knows how to use.

Experienced General[+4] - To organize the inventory systems of the merchants, since it's basically the same rigamarole that army logistics is with shelves instead of troops. Also, to know what problem Kovar can solve with just advice and what need deeper involvement.

Powerful Charisma[+4] - To mediate disputes by helping to convince both sides to compromise in a way that they might not get what they want but they feel the outcome is fair. Also to just generally charm the townsfolks while doing other tasks.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Daveron grabs his head for a moment, feeling the separation of the worlds for a moment, and shakes it. "Ugh what did I drink," he mumbles, almost falling over. When his head clears, he's still standing around a bunch of commoners taunting a thief and probably stealing stolen goods.

Daveron puts his hands in the air, and yells, "Enough! I'm sick of this banditry! I know there's some in this town that have partaken of ill-gotten goods, but I'm willing to offer my name and pardon them for a chance at redemption!" His hand lowers to his sword, the palm gripping it. "It is better to come forward now, before I have to come dig your guts out of you..." His drunken eyes scan over the crowd.

Using +2 Bad Luck to cause those who are in fact men/women of the brigand nature to stumble foward at the wrong time (either from a push or a misstep) into the front of the crowd, thereby exposing themselves. +2 Noble Blooded, because hey, I'm a noble, these common scum probably would do anything I ask.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Adam - entrance to the Mine

He stared at Kovar, gulping down a paniced yelp in reply. Not because he was scared of Fel - the man grew turnips in his backyard - but because of the sudden tremor that had come before Fel's words had gollowed. Something had just happened. Not necessarily evil per say... just... wrong.

But this was not the time no the place to worry about new developments. There was a man underground waiting for him to make an appearance, and a General to impress. He would have to keep his thoughts to himself. Besides, he pondered bitterly, not like things could get any worse.

He buttoned up, as Kovar didn't seem to be reacting, and quietly nodded to him, before turning to Jessop, and with a wave, started to make his way down into the mines himself.

Adam and Fel - The Sellos Mine

quote:

Eventually you start walking down into some magma tubes, the temperature is getting hotter but that really doesn't bother you as much as it should.
Jusep on the other hand (Val never gets the name right) is sweating profusely.

Adam turns to Jess. "Hey... look. Jess. If it's getting really bad down here... just head back up. No need you roasting over my expense. I will honestly be fine. Besides. chances are, it's going to get hotter soon." He then turns towards the path he's walking.

You can feel *something* ahead.
After another tube, you come into a chamber which has pools of magma illuminating the room with dull red light.
In the centre there is a figure half encased in stone,
You recognise it as Fel.

Adam exclaims, calling out, "Fel! Bloody Hell and stone Lad! What the Devils happened to ya? You look like a half-baked scone"

"I fell and lay down here dying. I wanted to become one with the earth before I died and, well, it happened."
The voice comes from the stone around you, the figure makes no movement.

"Oh. Wow. Flipping... wow. How the bloody hell did you end up down 'ere then?"

"It's hard to explain...I can do stuff with the earth."

"...aye... but can ya move?"

"Not really, it's hard and I haven't got much time left. I'm losing my power and control each day."

"wait... what? what do you mean?" he slowly starts to approach, watchimg the stone with interest

"I'm dying Adam. It took me this long to extend my power this far...then I find a stranger trying to bring war to our town. Adam, you need to protect Sellos. I won't be able to do it, not for much longer."

"But... but he's not trying to hurt people Fel, he said he'll help. He's just trying to reinforce us against... against the others. Others like us. You felt that quake a while ago, didn't you? That could have been one of them!"

"Fighting only brings more...fighting...Adam. If he makes an army here, then armies will come."

"Then what the bloody hell would you suppose I do then!" He cried out, face strained, hand in his head. "I'm sorry Fel, but I'm not some kind of hero. I'm just a man who got a hell of a lot shorter and only understands how to make pretty trinkets with some gold ore. What the hell will I be able to do if someone decided that Sellos should be a smidge on some map?"

Jusep mentions to Adam, "Your town produces much metal. While Taeless fights itself in mock war you're safe, but if it splinters, or another force comes to invade, your town will become a target. Weapons and armour are valuable, cut them out and an army becomes much weaker."

Adam turns to Jess. "Aye... I know. But that's why we need to prepare for it. War will come to us no matter what I do. Not unless I can hide this entire town from the rest of the world."

"I wouldn't know. I've seen some strange things recently," said the mercenary, before going silent again

Adam turns back to fel, a grumble of 'good point' under his breath as he speaks. "Look, Fel. Maybe this won't happen to you. I can get you up to the surface. We could tend to you. You might be alright. By the ore Fel, I can't just leave you here to die."

"How can you not understand? Did you not hear the whispers of Balsataroth?"

"...balwhatnow?"

"He kept whispering to spill blood in his name, that he would grant power to those who did. I am sure...what we felt was connected...to him."His voice shook, then deepened. "Now this Kovar comes...into town to raise...an army and spill...blood."

Adam stands there, dumbfounded for a moment. When he speaks his voice is calmer, less rushed. "Listen. I do not know anything, of this Balsatawhatever his name is. But that will not happen. If you want Kovar to leave this place alone, then I will tell him that. But no one is spilling any blood anywhere in Sellos while I am around."

"And you'll protect it...protect our home...when I'm gone?"

"You bloody hell are drat sure I am. but It won't come to that lad. You and me, we're going to get out of here, get patched up, and have ourselves a party. Alright? Please... just come with me."

"Then I can let go...of this..." Fel says with a deep sigh and the cavern seems to dim slightly.

Adam feels something pass through him.
You think you could maybe chisel Fel out of that rock, but it's difficult to tell where he ends and the stone begins.
It's almost like part of him has become stone.

A while passes, and Adam remains speechless, watching the cold body of a former friend. Then, he speaks again. "Jess. We have to head to the surface. I need to speak to Kovar. Fel..." he starts, turning back the way he came, "I'll come back for you. Don't... don't go anywhere."

Adam begins to feel really angry about this. Why are Fel and Kovar being so stupid? Both of them want the same thing right? They just have different ways of going about it. Maybe they're both wrong. Maybe Adam should show them the right way, take charge and do something.

As soon as he thinks this, Adam realises that someone or something else thought this.

He pauses for a moment, then turns to Jess, "Uh... did... did you say something?"

"No. I was just thinking about what Fel said. What did he mean by 'letting go of this?'"

"I... I don't..." he pauses, then rubs his head. "I don't really know... let's... let's get back to Kovar."

Druggeddwarf fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 20, 2013

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Degowin - Frozen Wilds, Whitewoods

Degowin paused for a moment. Whatever had happened was indeed terrible. Wrong. Unnatural. It gave him an idea. He walked into one of the tents, careful to keep his footsteps quiet. He placed his hand over the sleeping man's mouth. In his mind he focused on an image he had of one of the monsters in the old tales, a man that was dead yet still lived. They had wanted him to die of cold, they owed him a life debt. They would pay. He pushed cold through the man's body and the magic coursed through him.

Using Cold[+2] to try to turn this guy into an ice zombie minion, looking something like a draugr from skyrim. Something like this:

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 17, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Civar "So much for being a tinker" Kit'An (Arandia, North of Coltain, headed North to Harvan)

I guess DCB can have the militia's faith power, I'm headed North at my best speed.

Aideen posted:

The mob is moving away, is something wrong?
A hungry, vicious grin bared my teeth as I answered the witch. "More wrong than you can imagine. But at least I felt it this time. That bastard isn't nearly as slick as you are. He's quite a ways off though. Take a break, we'll both be jogging soon enough."

I clucked to my mule and gently guided her to a stop. I took my time, it would give me a chance to recover from whatever that had been. Can't afford to look weak in front of the self-described murderer. Hopping down I carefully checked my mule, Chuckles, over. As my hands passed over the tack I worked to visualize how each piece fit together and how it distributed the weight of the cart. Keeping that framework in my mind, I reached out with my new senses and strengthened it, reinforcing the orderly interconnections, smoothing out the distributions of weight, the vectors of force. Reducing, as much as possible, the excess drag of the cart's weight. Bringing the whole into an orderly, perfect balanced assembly able to not only bear the stresses of fast travel, but make it easier on poor Chuckles.

Leaning against my mule I smiled at Aideen again. This time, a happier, more natural expression. "There, let's see if that worked." I helped her up into the cart before climbing back up myself. I clucked to my mule to start him walking, while working to hold the order of the cart tack in mind, keeping a mindful eye on it as we started. "We need to hurry North, so we'll be passing through some larger towns than I was planning on first. I think we should stick with the story that I'm hunting the 'Coltain Witch.' Only he's a man, twisted by his lust for gold. How would you like to be a woman out for revenge because her children were snatched away by him? It has the virtue of being reasonable close to the truth, as long as you're willing to call the merchant who ruined your life a witch. It might also serve as a cautionary tale to help prevent what happened to you from happening to anyone else. We could have met up in the forest here where we were both chasing him."

Once the conversation with Aidin was over, I nudged Chuckles to a faster speed, until we were almost cantering. I focused on the image of the cart tack, infusing it with order as necessary to adapt to the moment to moment stresses of fast travel.

D: Go fast to Harvan +4
D: Order +2 - reduce the drag of the cart so the mule doesn't tire as fast
M: Tinker+4 - I spend a lot of time with this cart, I think I know how it works
M: Poor -2 - Maitenance on the cart costs money, money I don't have.
Initially we'll jog beside the cart for 10 minutes out of every hour, but slow down to a walk for that "break" if someone is having trouble keeping the pace. If Aideen wants to do something to help out too, that'd be pretty cool.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir- Elysian Sands

Mazir still felt the small tremble within himself as the sensation of some kind of power still resonated within. His minions had sensed it too, it woud seem that their connection to him allowed a tangential to the overall sense of power in the world, quite interesting.

Hartun, Zel, please take those two in the sacks to the basements, prepare them like the other two. I'll go prepare something down there as well.

As the three entered the basement, he looked to his minions as they chained the two captives.

I sensed that feeling too. I'm not sure what it means for sure, but my best hypothesis is that there are others in the world who might share....abilities like me, and one of them miht have just gotten much more powerful. We must be on our guard, but worry not, so long as you two stay with me, you'll be fine, and with this new batch, I might even be able to enhance you two to give you more protection.

Smiling, Mazir picked up the dagger he had used earlier and sheathed it in his pants. Once this is done, get soem rest you two, you've had a long day and I appreciate all you've done.

Mazir quickly returned upstairs to his three guests They are ready, if you would be so kind as to accompany me to the basement...

The four quickly entered the basement, where Hartun and Zel had finished chaining up the two captives, who had regained consciousness. They squirmed helplessly in the chains as Mazir drew his dagger and approached.

Find solace in providing substance to the stronger!

He quickly slit the pairs throats and let their bodies fall heavily onto the cold stone floor. Their blood flowing down the drain.

You wished o witness my power? Then behold!!!

As the familiar miasma arose from the two bodies, Mazir extended his hands and they began to glow. Utilizing the same illusion incantation he used to show Hartun and Zel his power, he used now to show the three strangers the souls he began to devour.

I'm reassuring my minions and giving a good display of my soul sucking power to my guests

[+2 Charisma] Reassure Hartun and Zel to reinforce the fact that they're safe with me.

Divine Soul Magic [+2] I'm devouring the souls of the two people Hartu and Zel brought.

[Magic +4] Using my magic to show what is happening for the benefit of my guests

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo (Eosia, Eisos Imperial University)

Edo can't help gasping as the world is torn asunder. The magister's smarm is almost too much. "Didn't you feel that?" Edo asks. "Someone did something horrible, something that's going to cause a lot of harm to a lot of people very soon. They did something against life; it feels like something tore a hole in the world. And it happened nearby."

Edo thinks for a moment, in his mind measuring the potential for help and harm that the magister represents and adds, "Please, we have to do something about it as soon as possible. Will this test take long?"

Using Charming +2 to persuade the magister that something bad has just happened and that they should either rush through the test or go deal with it immediately.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - The Target's Home, Taelos

Octagon pauses as that horrible feeling washes over him. He gives it a moment to pass. "You didn't feel that? Something... in the west. Nevermind, it's gone. Mostly." He shakes his head.

In very little time at all, Octagon is back at the Merchant's Manor. Slipping in through a side entrance was easy enough. Despite the no-doubt increased security, the Merchant could not afford to have men at every entrance and every window at all hours of the day and night. Shifts changed, patrols must be kept. This meant windows of opportunity, some literal, for those like him. His objective was the Merchant's bedchambers once more. The nook above the bed rest, out of sight and out of mind (and most importantly, out from under foot) would be the perfect place for Miss Spider. From there she could descend and bite at her leisure, once the target was asleep. Octagon, on the other hand, would likely be unable to linger long. He'd need to watch from afar.

Espionage [+4]: To Break into the Target's House. Again.

Discretion [+4]: To do so sneaky-like, without being caught, and plant Miss Spider.

Spider Whisperer [+2]: Because if ever there was a time when my Divine Trait would count, it's probably now.

VENGENCE :argh:

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar and Adam - Sellos

quote:

***Kovar had just finished resolving another dispute between to merchants. A shipment had been lost to bandits and so one was behind on their payments. The general had helped arrange a compromise between them to allow both businesses to weather this unfortunate incident.

Kovar: Sitting with Algard on some stones just outside of town, Kovar was taking stock of what he'd done to this point.

Adam: Adam had spent a bit of time with the locals, listening in on Kovar's activities. It took a while, but he eventually found him, and approached, with Jess in tow.

***Kovar looks up at the approaching dwarf, his features a mix of relief and pride in Adam. "You're back, and Jusep is as well, how did things go?"

Adam: He looks down at him, frowning. "We need to talk. Privately."

Voice: As long as he's willing to listen.

Kovar: "Of course. Algard, Jusep, one of the merchant offered me some drinks, why don't you take him up on it on my behalf, just keep the tab reasonable."

Algard: "Sounds fair to me boss." He says and saunters over to the bar.

Kovar: "There, now what did you want to discuss?"

Adam: He draws up closer, his lips pursed, his eyes downcast. "Kovar... Fel is dead."

***Kovar suppresses his shock. "What?"

Adam: "He died. Turned to stone. Stopped breathing. He's still down there, because he's too big to carry out, and I wanted to tell you first. But that's not important. I need... I.. I need ya ta telll me what you plan with this village."

***Kovar puts a hand over Adam's shoulder, "I'm sorry, you said he was a friend of yours. Are you sure you're ok?"

Kovar: The general sounds genuinely concerned for Adam.

Adam: He looks up, fire in his eyes, and his accent deepens. "Ah speart ye a question kovar... please answer. whit ur ye plannin' fur mah haem?"

Kovar: "If you're sure you're fine." He looks out at the horizon, his voice becoming less emotional and more explanatory. "I've told you before, I want to forge this place into the beginnings of an empire. This world is changing, there will be more like us and the current status quo will fall apart. When that happens the current borders, the current powers will change. When that change comes it means everything will suddenly come into play, new kingdoms will be born, and the old ones will lash out in hopes of survival. They'll look for any weapon or resource available, and that means us.”

Kovar: “Those with powers like us will become the most valuable resource, and every nation will seek to exploit us for their own ends. I'm been there, and I'm tired of being exploited. So, before the status quo falls and they come looking for whatever advantage they can find I want to forge this town into the seed of an empire that might cover the world. The wrenching wrongness that happened those few hours ago convinced me that this is the only option. We need to build a kingdom, an empire on the values we prize, because otherwise we'll be swallowed up by whatever that horrible darkness that came into the world was."

Adam: He watches him silently as he speaks, quietly noting his words, then takes a breath, catching his own voice back. "If you plan, on making Sellos a kingdom of it's own, to prepare for this inevitability of war... then you swear to me, right here and right now, that you will do your upmost to preserve it, and keep only the interests of the people here at heart. I swore to Fel that I would not allow bloodshed on my land... can you make me that promise?"

Voice: He talks about being tired of exploited,

Voice: But now he wants to exploit us?

Voice: Is that right?

Voice: Isn't that exactly what Fel warned me against?

Kovar: "No, bloodshed will happen, it's as inevitable as the tide. Sellos is not only a mine, but a strategic cross-roads between Taelless to the south and the lands to the north. Even if we weren't here, with that combination war would come either way and that means blood will be spilt. Anyone who would tell you that they would be able to prevent all bloodshed would be lying to you."

Kovar: "All I can promise, all any general can ever promise is to try and minimize casualties. I want to teach these people to defend themselves and to eventually expand so that the least amount of blood will be spilled, but make no mistake, blood will be spilled here. I can merely try to squeeze a river down to a trickle."

Voice: Will he be fighting too? He makes a pretty speech about the sacrifice of others but where does *he* stand on the spilling of blood and risking his life for others?

Adam: "And where will you be standing on risking your life? You just plan on teaching people? Then just buggering off to go start another empire elsewhere in Taeless?"

***Kovar's anger flares up, "How dare you!" He lifts up his loose fitting shirt to reveal his chest criss-crossed with scars. "I've spent my share of blood, and no doubt I'll spend yet more."

Kovar: "What do you know of war miner, how much have you bled for men under your command, how many nights have you been unable to sleep remember the faces of men you had to send to their deaths so many times their number could live. People will be injured, and people will die, and I'll live with that for every day of my life, but without someone like me this town will be a ruin."

Kovar: "If Sellos is not prepared to stand on it's own it will become a plaything between the northern and southern kingdoms, a source of endless back and forth. Then, eventually some overzealous fool will raze the place to deny it to their enemy. I don't do this out of jest, I plan this because there is no other way for Sellos to survive."

Voice: Who would raze Sellos?

Voice: None in Taeless would destroy the mines, they're too valuable.

Voice: Val Aman likewise would want to control it.

Voice: And Konwey is on the opposite side.

Adam: "Damnit shut up!" He screams out loud, before catching himself, biting his lip.

Voice: I could help you, you know.

Kovar: "What!" Kovar stands up, his face crimson.

Voice: Just think of me being there.

Voice: Give me a form.

Voice: A body.

Voice: It's so simple.

Kovar: Letting out an inheld breath, he calms himself down, "Maybe the death of your friend harmed you more than you know."

Adam: "No not... not... Ah by the stone itself I didn't mean... Sorry.. my thoughts aren't very clear. I can't.... Damnit I just want to be left alone..."

Voice: Because you have me locked up in here.

Voice: All you need to do is let me out.

Kovar: "What? Did something happen to you in the caverns? Maybe something related to Fel's death?"

Adam: "Wh... what? Let you..." He looks up at Kovar, eyes burrowed, a hint of fear in his eyes. "I... I don't know what's wrong with me Kovar... I can't think straight."

***Kovar kneels down and grabs Adam's shoulders, he looks the dwarf right in the eyes, their faces inches apart and says as calmly as possible, "Ok, Adam. I want you to focus on my voice and only my voice. Can you do that?"

Voice: Then let me out of your head! I don't want to be stuck here either you know.

Adam: "I don't want you in my head either! What the hell are you," he says, eyes glassing over, his confusion of voices and people conflicting. "I don't.. I know Kovar.."

***Kovar brings all his considerable charm to bear on the dwarf, "Just focus on my voice, Adam. I can help you, just focus on me and breath. In... 2... 3... Out... 2.. 3.." He begins to repeat this.

Voice: You don't want me in here, then listen.

Voice: You can either get really mad at him and I'll pop out, or you can try and imagine me a body.

Kovar: "In... 2.. 3.. Out... 2... 3..."

Voice: No stop that.

Voice: Please,

Voice: I have been stuck without a body for so long.

Kovar: "In... 2... 3... Out... 2... 3..."

Adam: He takes a moment, taking a breath... "In... out.... 1... "

Adam: He takes a moment, taking a breath... "out... body...."

Adam: He takes a moment, taking a breath... "2.... 3...."

Kovar: "Now, I want you to let my voice guide you, guide you to some place safe. Some place you feel totally safe. Describe it for me."

Adam: "1... 2.... 3.... 1... 2.... 3.... 1... 2... 3.... It's.. its my smithy... by my house... its warm. I keep it warm.. it's safe. It's quiet. It's fun..."

Voice: The smithy...smithy...that would work.

Voice: Take us there, make a body for me.

Voice: I can go into that.

Kovar: "You're safe here, safe and relaxed. Whatever else is happening you don't need to worry about, just listen to my voice and think of this safe place. In... 2... 3.. Out... 2... 3..."

Adam: "Alright..." He begins to imagine a smithy in his head, he goes there... he concentrates... "I'm here.. at the smithy.... come... come here... 1.... 2... 3..."

Kovar: "I want to help you, you want me to help you right? But to help you, you need to tell me what's happening. Don't worry you're in a safe place and I'll protect you, so tell me what's happening."

Kovar: "You're safe, but you're confused. Tell me what's happening, but don't make decisions, not yet. Not till you're no longer confused."

Voice: Adam, suddenly you feel a splitting headache. Both of you then hear Adam say "Shut up. Shutupshutupshutup. I am so close and you're ruining it. Go play soldier elsewhere."

Voice: It's Adam's voice, but it doesn't sound like Adam.

Adam: "What the devil is... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.......... I can't.. I can't focus..."

Kovar: "You're not Adam. Adam, listen to my voice, only my voice. Focus on my voice, let it be the only thing in the world. You're safe and relaxed in your safe place, there's something inside you something bad. It wants to hurt you, but I can protect you. Imagine my voice in your head, imagine it telling the bad thing to go away. "In... 2... 3... Out.. 2.. 3.."

Adam: "I'm trying.. but.. I.. I don't know if... I.. it's so loud..."

Kovar: "Trust me, Adam, you need to trust me and relax. I can protect you, just let my voice be the only thing in the world, let it drive away the bad thing. Imagine my voice in your head telling the bad thing to go away."

Adam: "1... 2.... 3.... I... I think... I am trying... 1.... 2.... 3... smithy..."

Voice: Adam I am trying to do this nicely. But I'l do it the hard way if I have to.

Kovar: "That's it, relax, I can protect you. Let my voice drown out the bad thing, drown it out so you don't have to listen to it anymore. If you hear only my voice you don't have to listen to it anymore. Relax and let my voice carry you someplace it doesn't know. Imagine a beach, the cool blue waves lapping the shore."

Kovar: "In... 2... 3... Out... 2... 3..."

Adam: "What... what does a beach.. look like.."

Kovar: "Imagine white sand, it's warm and nice and safe, now keep looking and you can see the water, more water than you think could ever exist, it's so blue and so inviting. You feel safe and relaxed as the sun beams down on you."

Adam: "Sun.. beam... sorry... never been.... sounds... nice... Voice... please stop.."

Kovar: "This is Mirn, my homeland, feel the warm sand beneath your feet. Know that I'm with you, protecting you here in my home. Relax and tell the voice go away. Hear me tell it, 'Go away and leave Adam alone, he's under my protection.'"

Voice: Adam your head suddenly burns with pain, your vision swims as you grab your chisel and stab yourself in the arm. It hurts like heck for a second and leaves a cut the length of the chisel that starts trickling blood.

Voice: Your blood looks different than you remember.

Voice: It's supposed to be red, but this one is more coppery in colour.

Voice: Adam stabs himself and then seems quite surprised.

Voice: As for Adam, you can now think a lot more clearly.

***Kovar grabs the chisel. "It's weak now, that's why it's trying to hurt you. Don't feel the pain, let my voice carry you once more to Mirn, to the beach."

Voice: At any rate, Adam feels like the voice is gone now.

Adam: His eyes light up, and he bites back a scream. "Easy fur ye tae say, ye didne jist stab yerself wi' a bludy chisel! OW!"

Kovar: "Relax, feel the warm sand, let the safe feeling take the pain away."

Adam: He clutches his arm, his breath returning, and he closes his eyes. "Warm.. sand... warm... sand... warm... sand..."

Adam's Shadow: Kovar, while Adam closes his eyes you notice his shadow is *moving*

Adam's Shadow: It's sort of pooling into the spot where his blood fell.

Kovar: "Stay on that beach, feel me protecting you, you're safe as long as I'm there." Kovar slowly draws his dagger, the one symbol left of his life on Mirn, "Now breath deep and relax," With the prowess of a master he drives his dagger into the pooling shadow.

Adam's Shadow: You drive your dagger firmly into the ground.

Adam's Shadow: The ground seems to not be greatly injured by your attack.

Adam: "This.. this beach is a little open Kovar... And it's not really letting the pain go away..."

Kovar: "Ok, take a deep breath, In... 2... 3... Out... 2.. 3.. I'm going to push you back a few steps. When you feel me push step back, Ok?"

Adam: "1... 2... alright..."

***Kovar gently begins to push against Adam, aiming to move him back enough where his shadow will be far enough away to hinder whatever was happening.

Adam's Shadow: As Kovar pushes Adam back the shadow splits,

Adam's Shadow: One remaining in the shape of Adam standing where his blood spilled,

Adam's Shadow: And Adam's shadow returning to himself.

Adam: "...you know... I don't know what you did, but I would really like to open my eyes now."

***Kovar grabs up his dagger, and sheaths it. It appears physical force would have no effect. "You can do that, after another deep breath."

Adam: He takes a deep breath, then opens his eyes, clutching his injured hand. "I.. I feel better now. I can't really hear it anymore. I think it's name is Balasomething..."

Adam's Shadow: Now that you are no longer crowding the shadow, the earth itself rises up and forms a body that looks a lot like Adam.

Kovar: "What are you foul creature!"

Adam's Shadow: Once the form is created it becomes fleshy, wearing a replica of Adam's clothes.

Adam's Shadow: It skin is darker and its eyes a ruddy red tone.

Adam: "Wh... wha... WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT!"

***Kovar once more unseaths his dagger.

Kovar: "That would appear to be the voice that was controlling you."

Adam's Shadow: "Ah, I ken feel the scent 'o the wind in my lungs again."

Adam's Shadow: It takes a deep breath and sighs.

Kovar: "Answer my question, or you might find your new life a short one. What are you?"

***Kovar stands prepared to strike at a moment's notice.

Adam's Shadow: "Ye be Kovar if I be right?" It asks, turning to look at Kovar.

Kovar: "That is not an answer to my question. You have one chance left."

Adam: "Hey! Ye talking like that! I don't bloody talk like that!"

Thadroin: "Ye may call me Thadroin." It says with a curious glance at the knife.

Kovar: "And what are you Thadroin?"

Thadroin: "I do not ken that, maybe ye should try askin our friend Adam. Perchance he knows more than I."

Kovar: "You know what you are, you no doubt are the voice that was plaguing Adam, so tell me your nature, I command it."

Adam: "I... I.... wait... were you what... where you what Fel said he was passing on?"

Thadroin: "Aye. He thought I be the demon singing in the darkness and kept me locked away. I was once a man, now...I cannae say."

Kovar: "So you claim you are not a demon?"

Adam: "more importantly.... Why are you here? Looking like me. Talking like me. Doing... me... things..."

Thadroin: He responds: "If I were, would I need beg for a body?" And his eyes flash angrily at you.

Thadroin: "I had to take what I could get. Ye would not give me a body so I made one. It left an...imprint"

Thadroin: Adam on the other hand, feels a connection to Thadroin.

Adam: "Oh... well... sorry... you could have asked nicely or something. Instead of doing the whole 'foolish human' thingy."

Kovar: "A demon has already wrenched it's way into the world, why should I trust you?"

Adam: "Wait... it has? what?"

Kovar: "Your story, and the wrongness. It's the only logical outcome."

Adam: "Come back to be point before.. Demon wrenching?"

Kovar: "I told you before, my power is Strategy. When it happened, I felt a new player step upon the stage. With you're story, I imagine it's a demon or something along those lines, it's the only pattern that matches the facts."

Adam: "Wait... could that be this Balamory person Fel was talking ab - WHAT AM I SAYING! THERE'S A MAN WHO LOOKS JUST LIKE ME RIGHT HERE!"

Thadroin: "Because ye felt it coming from the west. Fel felt it too. This be not the west." He replies rather bluntly.

Adam: "So.. what.. what are you doing? What happened to you? Why were you in Fel? Are you.. were you what kept him alive?"

Kovar: "Well, if you're truly not a demon than what I said earlier applies equally to you. Unless you're willing to help establish Sellos as the seeds of an empire, you'll just end up as the slave of some other power."

Thadroin: "Well...I remember a void, black and deep. I got meself stuck there somehow but it was long ago. Then I got called here. I was floating around and felt an empty body, but it wasn't, so I got stuck in Fel." The character says, stroking his beard thoughtfully.

***Kovar sheaths his dagger. "So what do you say, are you willing to sign on?"

Adam: "I don't think he has much of a choice... if he came before, it means he might know what caused the Starfall"

Kovar: "Either way, I'd like to hear it from him."

Thadroin: "I have a debt to Adam, so for the time being I feel I be bound to him." He says and makes a bow to Adam.

Thadroin: This seems odd...for many reasons.

Adam: "Uh... what now?"

Thadroin: "Ye gave me a body and we be bound by blood, you and I."

Kovar: "Well, for the moment, I think we should return to the plan. The clock is ticking, we have to forge Sellos into an empire, and you into at least a passable soldier."

Adam: "Oh. Ah. Well that's all well and good Kovar... but you know what... it will have to wait till the bloody morning. I have had a very. Very. Long day... and I have a friend to bury."

Adam: He holds his head and shakes it. "I just... I just want a break. And for someone to patch up my arm."

***Kovar tears a strip off his guard's uniform and wraps it around Adam's arm as a make-shift bandage.

Thadroin: "Ah, my apologies for that, ye did not seem want to listen but."

Adam: "You could have asked nicely, instead of getting in my head and confusing me!"

Kovar: "Yes, the desperate attempt to seize control right after the wrenching wrongness made you seem quite malicious."

Thadroin: "Ye try living without a body for god know how many ages."

Kovar: "True. Anyhow, are you willing to sign on with me for the plan?"

Thadroin: "I'll do whatever Adam does. But, have ye considered just moving the town under-ground?"

Adam: He rolls his eyes. "Alright. you two. Talk away. I am going to get this seen to." And with that, he just walks off, clutching his arm.

Kovar: "Tell the apothecary you're with me. He owes me a favor."

Kovar: "I don't think moving the town underground is a real solution, because it's still the biggest piece of infrastructure by the mines."

Thadroin: "But if the entrance to the mines was also the entrance to the town, then invaders would have a big door to deal with right?

Thadroin: "And they'll have a spot of bother getting through a foot thick door of solid stone I ken."

Kovar: It makes the town more defensible, but doesn't solve the root problem of the town being invaded. It also won't prevent another kingdom with access to beings of power from simply demolishing it."

Thadroin: "What would you do? Make the town fly?"

Thadroin: "Ye say it makes the place easier t'guard and say it won't help either. Make up yer mind."

Kovar: "Because it doesn't matter how defensible this is if there is no one who knows how to defend it. No matter how high the walls if the whole world falls to whatever the hell that was in the west the town will fall with it. The only way to survive what is to come is to be pro-active. Make Sellos into a power of its own. Build it into an actual future for the people and for us."

Thadroin: "Ah, but do the people lust for conquest, or be that just you?"

Kovar: "It's hard to say, but what I can say is that I do not do this lightly. The future for Sellos has boiled down to two options, conquer or be conquered, and with whatever just came into the world out there I think waiting for it to tear down the world is a fool's play."

Thadroin: "Well then, ye best remember that Adam be entrusted the safety of this town. Bring not danger more than already comes lest he may decide it be you that must go."

Kovar: "I trust Adam, and he trusts me. I'll do what I think is best for the future of this town, and he knows that."

Thadroin: "Nay, ye wish him to trust you, and he ye take to away his problems. Trust takes time to build, not a few quick words from a silvered tongue. Believe me, all a sudden I know plenty o' silver."

Kovar: "Oh?"

Thadroin: "Oh what?"

Kovar: "You just hinted at your past. Who were you before you were Adam's shadow?"

Thadroin: He shakes his read with a thin smile on his head.

Thadroin: "Ye mistake me words. I know about silver because Adam does. Like Fel had, he changed a few days as far I can ken. I made meself anew of his blood and shadow, along with the Earth. I ken things he ken because I was in his head."

Kovar: "So, you have no memory but Fel's and Adams?"

Thadroin: "A man forgets a lot when he have no body ye see. I remember a few things, the smell o' roses, dusty tomes and mould on stone. That be all. Glimpses, fragments of a life so far gone it be like the twinkling stars in the sky. Those...are real...I hope."

Kovar: "Hmmm... Well, at least you seem to have picked an excellent person to imitate."

Thadroin: "Flatter chance not me, I took what was given to me."

Kovar: "It was as much a compliment to Adam, in truth. Anyhow, do you at least intend to give my plan a chance?"

Thadroin: "As I said, be it Adam's will I shall. I have a debt of blood and debts must be repaid in kind."

Kovar: "And when your debt is paid, what then?"

Thadroin: "Who can know the future but the gods themselves? Civar keep the sun and moon turning and we'll see what the morrow brings."

Kovar: "Who's Civar?"

Thadroin: "A god from whence I came methinks. The words came from the heart an' not me head."

Kovar: "Interesting, if more flashes come let me know. Any information would be useful for the plan."

Thadroin: He reaches into his jacket and finds a coinpurse. "I be glad it be not just a body I copied. Food be a memory long gone, one I plan to renew." He says and starts to head towards the tavern.

***Kovar follows behind him. The old maxim of keep your friends close and your enemies closer coming to mind, and spending a day solving problems does work up an appetite.

Ryoutarou
Nov 6, 2009
Liliana (Taeless, Taelos - The Pits

Wrapping her arms around her stomach as the terrible sensation washes over her being. "The wind is wrong.." she'd look around completely forgetting about her current situation.

The snarl of the angry dogs brought her back to life as one lunged to crunch it's teeth around her throat. Her hand grasped at the hilt of the sword she had chosen and in a quick fluid motion the blade would slide forth from it's scabbard, the end of the hilt aimed to smack the dog in the face. Following up the pummel strike, she twisted her body and took a step forward to ram her shoulder into the dog's body.

Her sword was pushed back into it's sheathe as she regained her footing after body slamming the attacking dog away. She'd start to sway back and forth gently, finding her rhythm within the wind. "Being in the pit works to my advantaged..I wanted to try this." with a stern grin, she took a step and drew her blade in a single wide arc towards the first dog, the blade wasn't meant for her art, but she had the wind to make up for it. Feeling the blade bite the flesh of the beast she brought her blade back and sheathed it all within the same motion of her draw.

"Oy oy, I've drawn first blood, so I expect you'll have a better time of killing them while they're distracted with me." she called out to her companion as she kept swaying back and forth, watching the first dog she had attacked, and listening to the vicious snarls of the other circling dogs. "Fine if you're not going to go on the offensive, I shall have too!"

She took several light steps forward and drew her sword once more quickly, her blade aimed at finishing off the dog she had attacked already. Her's was a style of counter attacking, and defensive tactics. So if she was to leap into the fray the wounded target was it.

Swordsmen ship +4: Did her pummelstrike do anything meaningful? Did her slashes connect with vital spots? Probably.
Dance +4: Swaying back and forth is the start, it helps her keep herself ready to act with out tiring movements.
Divine: Windflow +2: Gotta dodge and attack faster to make up for lovely sword
Low Endurance and Strength -2: Body checking something like that was prolly not smart, and her slashes don't hold much strength.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Daveron & Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Ilvis's speech seems to kindle at least for some time, an appreciation for knightly virtues in most of the crowd. For those uninspired or who took part in wrongfully gaining from the recovery of the lost belongings of many merchants they found themselves swept up in the crowd. When it came to the flogging people were astonishingly resourceful at finding fruit and items to pelt at the bandit, as if they had been waiting for such an occasion. The most miraculous part was when a number of people stumbled forwards by accident, at the wrong time and got hit by stray fruit or stones themselves. It was soon discovered that those who had stumbled had been trying to take items that did not belong to them. Once this was realised a hush come over the crowd and all eyes turned to Ilvis and Daveron.

Success, I combined both actions together into something that felt appropriate. Both of you feel a connection forming between you and the crowd, Ilvis more strongly however, and is close to gaining a new Trait.

Andra (Arandia, Coltain)

Much to the surprise of the group, if not Andra as well, it is those least capable of fighting that are most inspired. Even one of the merchants decides that it may be time to take up the way of the sword, a proclamation that turns many a head in the group. While many in the group look to Andra for leadership and protection now, fewer would actually take up arms to follow her. It is however a start to gaining a larger force, should that be the adventure that she wished for. Training them will take time but Andra's charm and display of courage and a willingness to sacrifice herself for others has ensured that those who want to listen will.

Success, Andra begins to work some discipline in by a willingness to listen, into a number of those people. While many will follow her, fewer will follow her into battle.

Wilhelm (Arandia, South Gindarr Jungle)

The man stood in the place where the wasps gathered. Many gathered around him and at first he was stung numerous times, so much that his vision began to swim. Eventually he fell, his thoughts fading as the wasps began to crowd over him. Although he thought he might be dying, this was not the case. What came next was a strange period of semi-wakefulness when he felt surrounded by a warm tough shell. It was hard to tell how much time had passed exactly when he finally broke out, but Wilhelm was changed. He stepped out of his chrysalis aware of the wasps around him. Wilhelm had supplanted the queen as the leader of the hive, and furthermore he could feel the ants and bees he commanded as well. His body had changed to match his nature, he stretched his now chitinous hands and body and gave his wings a test.

Success, Wilhelm transforms and gains the trait: Insect Lord [+2] as well gaining the Quirk: Monstrous Visage. I was aiming for something a little less chunky looking, but I couldn't find much that wasn't a cartoon, comic or from The Fly. So I guess Wilhelm gets a bit buff.

Adam & Kovar (Taeless, Sellos)

Over the coming days Kovar walked amongst the town of Sellos and talked to its people. He came to know a number of them, came to know their troubles and he offered advice. As an outsider none would let him directly intervene, but the general carried an air of confidence and reassurance that put people at ease and opened their minds to his words. Most of his advice resulted in a satisfying resolution for all concerned, not always as men and women are fickle and often want to be contrary, but enough that people came to treat him less like an outsider.

The arrival of Thadroin caused a substantial stir. His similarity to the new body of Adam and his sudden appearance, literally growing from the ground itself caused many rumours to spread. Adam felt the unwanted and uneasy weight of peoples gaze upon his back as he moved around time. During this time he found that he healed quickly, more quickly than a man should, although if this was due to his new form or some other condition neither he nor Thadroin could tell. When Thadroin tried to test it himself he found his body turned to stone when he tried to injure it, preventing anything but a light graze. People began to look at Adam with curiosity, for his skill in the mines had soon became well known to all. So it was that Sellos began to change, and that the people looked first to Adam, but also to Kovar as well.

Adam is growing a connection to the Sellosians, Kovar can get there too but as an outsider he has more to prove unless something should happen. Kovar's action is successful in making the town better disposed to him.

Degowin (Frozen Wilds, Whitewoods)

Degowin seized the man around the mouth before he could scream and held him down tight. The man struggled as Degowin leached out all of the heat in him until his skin shrivelled, his eyes turned cold and his heart stopped. Then the hunter replaced the spark of life that was dimming down with a shard of pure frost and let him go. The man stared in horror at his new form, marked with a chilling glyph of blazing frost in his chest. When he spoke, it was only a whisper, hoarse as though the man had been deprived of water for many days.

"Who are you? What have you done to me. Please, release me...let me die."

Success, you have created I can't believe it's not a Draugr.

Civar (Civar, Central Arandia)

Civar could see what he needed to mitigate, as well as foresee some troubles ahead. The only problem was that the cart was not in good enough condition to do much with it, Civar could see many ways that would for a short time improve the cart's speed only for it to later fall apart for pieces of the frame to rip and tear. In the end Civar used what he could see to make the trip easier, which helped ease the burden but was not the flight he had wished. Aideen warns Civar when strangers approach and once the pair has to deal with bandits, but thanks to a bit of clever speech and suggestion from the witch, along with some insights and manipulation of the stability of some of the bandits gear they avoid a confrontation. His cart and Chuckles arrived soundly and in good condition however when they arrived in the first town. The people of the tavern are surprised a witch would masquerade as a merchant, but then another comments how only certain wealthy merchants have been targeted and that their men have escaped. Soon the folk of the town have helped convince themselves of the pair's tale.

You technically failed, but because you've been really good with using your Foible when appropriate I upshifted it to a success, but in different areas than what you originally seemed to intend. Also remember, when you use your Divine trait, you can only use other Divine traits or a single Mortal Trait

Mazir (Elysian Sands, Elysia)

Mazir cut the necks and as the life force of his victims bled out he drank deeply. But his magic of illusion mixed with his new power in a way he did not expect, and he drank deeper than he had before. As the life force of the first, a thin man of older age, flowed into Mazir he began to have a vision of his life. Once the man had been a fighter in the pits of Taelos, strong and skilled he had earned great fame and eventually his freedom. But the politics of Taelos were new to him and soon he found himself framed for a murder he had not committed. Unwilling to return to the life of a slave he had fled to become a bandit for some time, until he began to grow old and the others whispered of killing him and taking his share of his loot. Again the man had fled, this time to Elysia where he had remained until this night.

Berel was speechless and the other two were white with shock, as Mazir realised that he was projecting around him the illusion of what he was seeing and feeling. He drove on, drinking deep into the life of the second, a dancer who had married a wealthy man who had given her everything she wanted except her freedom. Eventually she snuck out with a merchant caravan to Elysia and had made her trade here in the Oasis of the Sands. Zel and Hartun remained silent and merely watched, as though the strange and gruesome sight had lost some shock and perhaps even deeper emotional meaning to them.

Success, you put on a better show than even Mazir had predicted. Your high roll has upshifted the result.

Edo & Stavos (Eosia, Imperial University of Eisos)

"The test will take as long as it needs to. If you want it to go quicker then you ought co-operate. As for your claims I sensed no magic being used nearby, so leave that to those of us who actually know what they're doing." Magister Ajikan says in a tone that clearly indicates exactly what he thinks of Edo's claim. He leads you and Stavos into the Imperial University, and from there through a number of doors and corridors. Eventually after being somewhat disoriented by the whole trip you find yourself in a room, with a marble table in the centre and several chairs around it. In addition there are raised seating around the centre there is a larger chair opposite to the entrance, also raised but closer to the middle area. The entire setup evokes a decided image of a court, or at least some kind of judgement being conducted.

There is a man who looks somewhat ill sitting in one of the chairs. "This is Magister Katinos." Ajikan says as he gestures towards the seated man. "He has been given a disease magically. We can cure him, but it is your task to try and diagnose the problem and then cure his symptoms with magic. If you are actually able to."

Failure, sorry but the Magister does not feel any urgency to rush. Bureaucracy is a terrible and intractable thing.

Octagon (Taeless, Taelos)

There was a break in patrol for a brief minute during the time that the noble went to have his second supper. Octagon quickly leapt down and climbed up the wall, after checking that there were no city guards or passers-by that might spot him. Deftly entering the room Octagon went to the bed and deposited his passenger. "Worry not my love, separation only makes the heart grow fonder." She says in a mocking voice and scuttles away to find a nice corner to hide in. In the light Octagon can see that the spider noble has a rather, well, vibrant colour scheme on her back which might be why she is hiding out of sight as opposed to in a corner. But there was little time to contemplate this, he had to leave soon before anyone returned. Octagon was gone and a distance away by the time the nobleman returned to his room.

It was almost two hours later as Octagon reckoned it when a shout came from the man's room. "He's dead! Lord Deasoth has been murdered!" Suddenly there is a great deal of commotion in the room, but Octagon can't see the spider noble having left yet. It is up to him whether he leaves her behind or not...

Success, the noble Daesoth is now slain. Also a reminder, one Mortal trait per Divine action.

Liliana (Taeless, Taelos - The Pits)

It would be more accurate to describe the fight as a dance, a bloody dance of murder and death. Liliana used the wind to guide her and to help her move around the arena. So it was that the dogs seemed unable to catch her, as she cut at them each one by one. The cuts were not deadly, not at first, but Liliana kept dancing in and out and kept cutting until the dogs began to bark in frustration. Had the beasts been fed they would have had the sense to be afraid, but such clarity of thought was overridden by the urge and need to feed. The crowd grew silent and Liliana realised she might be doing too well, and so set herself and allowed one of the beasts to scratch her. Then the reverie of the crowd was broken and they started cheering and roaring again. The scratch itself hurt, but was fortunately not too deep to be truly debilitating.

Soon it was done, and Liliana stood with the other man in the centre of the Pit. The crowd seemed to expect something, for the victors to react somehow to their victory. The air hung in tense expectation.

Success, you manage to do well but not perfectly in your first fight.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 22, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Andra (Arandia, Coltain)

Perhaps surprisingly, Andra doesn't seem all that bothered by the group's decisions - the way she figures it, those that want to fight will, and those that don't won't, and that's all good with her. What matters to her is that they're listening - that those that won't be taking up arms are smart enough to stay out of the way of those that will, et cetera. She wishes to prepare them for a dangerous world, and that doesn't always mean rushing out to face the danger yourself!

Still... she's going to have to sit down and have a long think about leadership. What it means, how it affects those around her, whether or not she's ready to take up that mantle again. It was easy, here, because people needed her to do it, but...

Eh. Later for that.

Right now her priority is to get these people back home to Arandia and let the town's leaders know what has happened and pick up any reward money and check on the street urchin girl she promised to keep an eye on and also hopefully get a drink or seven. When she heads north... sure, she'll take people with her if they want to come. Why not? There are bound to be other towns that need help, too, and she can't do it all alone, right? It's not as though she's starting a mercenary company or anything. Okay, so she totally is. But she won't think about it that way. Freelance Peacekeeping Agents, that's the ticket, yes?

poo poo. If she's going to create a group she'll need to come up with a name for it. Well, later for that, too.

Town first. Drinks now.

Hey, if we've made it back to Arandia it's time to celebrate being alive and not dying at the hands of a witch. And probably regale the local tavern with the tale Civar and I agreed on (using Charming as Hell [+4] to make sure people don't spot any logical inconsistencies). What to do with this little band of followers is Serious Business, and Andra can only handle so much Serious Business at once.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo

Edo suppresses his annoyance at the magister's obnoxiousness, as clearly it wasn't going to achieve anything. He walks up to Magister Katinos and examines him closely before putting his hands on the man's temple, carving his disease into the fullness of health. When that's done, Edo decides to keep going and experiment. Thinking back to his old carving teacher's fairly erratic lessons on anatomy and his own experiences watching and working on the people of the city, he closes his eyes and uses his powers alone to try to carve the magister not just into good health, but into the body of a young man. Theoretically it's just about getting the lines right, because if Edo's experience is any good, old people never stop claiming to know what it feels like to be young...

Once he's done, and before opening his eyes, Edo simply says, "What was wrong is no longer." That'll teach the bastards for being so cryptic, he thinks to himself.

Divine Healing/Lifecarving +2 and Carver +4 to heal Magister Katinos of his disease and turn him into a physically flawless but still recognisable young man in the prime of life.

Cacto fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 23, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Civar "keep the sun and moon turning" Kit'An with Witch Aideen (Inn in Central Arandia, headed North to Harvan)

When I pulled up in front of the Sunrise Tavern, I was more than happy to stop for the night. I had a pounding headache from trying to order-craft the wagon for hours at a time. I wasn't likely to try that again anytime soon.

I leaned back with a sigh of relief as the other guests started sharing the story I'd told with each other. Sippping gratefully from my mug, I grinned as I heard one say "Saw it with my own eyes I did, a merchant tall as a house went striding through my field just yesterday...". By this time next week the story would either be a local legend, hardly anything like the story I'd just told, or completely forgotten. We, and by that I mean Aideen, were safe from pursuit for now. Which reminded me; "Thanks for your help back there Aideen. If you hadn't been there, things could have gotten ugly. I hate fighting. Someone always gets hurt."

Aideen looked surprised that I'd bothered to thank her, but managed a curt "You're welcome." Too much time living alone, I think. I might have ended up a lot like her if I hadn't met Hector.

"Enough of that, let's talk of happier things. I'll tell you a bit of my childhood with the Tia'Cha and you can tell me what your youth was like. Growing up amongst the Tia'Cha was like an endless fair. Every day was filled with joy and laughter. Oh, there was work enough to be sure. Animals to tend, herbs and flowers to be picked, but always there was laughter and bright frivolity. We didn't take anything seriously, least of all each other..."

Making friends with Aideen - total of +2 (mortal action)

M: Stage Magician +2

Keeping on, keeping on to Harvan.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 24, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Stavos - Eisos

Stavos can FEEL something happening, the same as when Aldrain caused transmutation. Against his better judgement, Stavos pours his energies into assisting Edo. He can tell what Edo is doing, not just healing but carving, reshaping. Such a rough way to go about doing this; wouldn't it be better to transform the elements that should change? With a little bit of effort, you could literally melt pounds away, and physically change flab to muscle.

Assisting Edo with +2 Transmutation

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

quote:

Adam: Adam sat in the middle of his workshop, hands over his head, a quiet moan escaping his lips. He looked up at his workbench, and went back to his previous state, the moan louder. In front of him lay various weapons of fantastic design and sharp edges, well crafted and cleaned. They were all axes. Adam had been daydreaming that afternoon.

***Kovar enters softly. Looking over to see Adam moan, he sits himself down in a chair before he asks in his kindest tone, "Want to talk about it?"

Adam: His head doesn't rise, but he bemoans a reply: "Noooooooooo..."

Kovar: "I really think you should, it's better than moping here all day. I mean the townsfolk have really started to warm to the new you."

Adam: "....Aye... I mean yes. They really have. Things are looking up. Work is good. People seem friendly to me, despite my stature, and the little girl down the road hasn't pulled my beard all week." He looks up, frowning terribly. "But I still can't stop making Axes and talking funny when my mind isn't focused."

Kovar: "Hmmmm... I may have something that can help with that, but first I think we need to talk about your shadow."

Adam: He put his head back down, sighing as he does so. "Great. This conversation. Oh joy."

Kovar: "I know you seem to have a bond with him, but I just want you to be careful. There's something... off about him, and I'm fairly certain he's lying to us at least about how much he remembers."

Adam: A pause passed, then Adam brought his hands down, looking up at Kovar. "Wait... what do you mean?"

Kovar: "He mentioned something, the name of a god, a god I've never heard of anywhere in Taeless or among the townspeople. Civar."

Adam: "So? Taeless is a drat big place. Could be from a different part of the world. Maybe where you have those beaches thingys."

Kovar: "Right, but he said he had no memory outside your's and Fel's. Anyhow, all I ask is that you be careful, I'm convinced he has his own agenda, and we have no way of knowing if it benefits us or not."

Adam: Adam looked over at Kovar, taking time to turn to face him, then folded his arms. "So... let me just get this straight. You're telling me, directly, that the person that suddenly appeared in my life after I got shrunk and addicted to ale, the person who seems to want to help the town not be destroyed, the person who has appeared and is presently helping the town, who says they wish to teach...

Adam: ...me and train me to be a better man, has his own agenda and that I should not trust him... right?"

Kovar: "When did he offer to train you. According to him he only knows what you already know?"

Adam: "while he was in my head. He said he could help. Help me be a bit braver. Speak my mind more. Kinda what I'm sort of doing right now."

Kovar: "I'm not saying he's malicious, I'm just saying be careful. There's more there than meets the eye."

Adam: "There's more to the stranger in my town than meets the eye. Got it."

***Kovar sighs. "Anyhow there was another reason I wanted to talk to you."

Adam: He smiles, mostly to himself. "Yes. What can I help you with?"

Kovar: "It has to do with the directed imagery I used, from when your shadow was still in your head."

Adam: He frowned. "You mean the beaches."

Kovar: "Yes, there is a reason I knew how to do that. Back on Mirn, I was part of a group we were called Weaponmasters. We can use any weapon with surprising mastery."

Adam: "What, you're a smith as well as a general?"

Kovar: "No, I mean wield it in combat, my knowledge as to their making is only enough to maintain them. I could demonstrate if you like?"

Adam: He looks around, then rises, slamming his fist onto the table. As the various weapons rises, he reaches out and catches the highest one, before turning it's hilt to him. "Alright. Outside?"

***Kovar takes the strange axe, and after a moment to adjust to it's weight runs through a close-quarters kata, deftly maneuvering it in the enclosed space.

Adam: Adam very carefully moves himself to the back of the smith, grabbing the wall as he does. "I said outside! OUTSIDE! I have to work in here!"

Kovar: "Alright." After adjourning to an outdoor location, Kovar demonstrates a far more complex kata, maneuvering the strange axe as though it were an extension of his own body. Once he was finished he adds, "I could do the same with pretty much any sword, or flail, or mace, or dagger, or staff, or any other weapon no matter its weight or shape."

Adam: He claps, giving Kovar a thumbs up "It's fine, I believe you. You can wield a freshly made weapon like it was made for you and all that. That must have taken a hell of a lot of training..."

Kovar: "Less than you might think. The Weaponmasters were an ancient tradition with each practitioner taking on only one or two students in their lifetime. My own teacher," Kovar pauses and a deep sadness creeps into his voice, "Well, lets just say I miss him greatly."

Adam: "Oh... I'm sorry to hear that..."

Kovar: "Anyhow, the bond between teacher and student is a sacred one, but because of my career and all that has happened I was never able to take on a student. There was never anyone I felt had what it took to succeed, until now."

Adam: He cocked his head, eyes burrowed. "Wow... you don't want me to trust Thordin, but you are willing to take him on as a student?"

***Kovar smiles. "It is not him I'm talking about."

Adam: "oh..." He scratches his head... "I know Delgor from the market has been passing you sutsanas from his trip to the city, but he isn't really fighter material, with the gammy leg and all..."

Kovar: "It's you, you are the one I want to take on as a student."

Adam: "Oh." He nods... then his eyes widen. "Wait... wh...what do ye pure techt you're takin' me oan as a stu -" He catches himself, gulping before continuing. "That's gotten rather harder to stop lately - What do you mean you're taking me on as a student! Are you daft? I'm a smith! A very short smith! You need to save this for some kind of superior lethal killing machine somewhere!"

Kovar: "I've said it before and I'll say it again, you've got the raw potential to be one of the best soldiers in the world. More than that, you would be the first Weaponmaster who was also a smith so the possibilities there are also impressive, but there's something else. It more than any of that, I can't fully explain it, but I know now you are the one I was meant to teach."

Adam: "But.. but you've only known me for... what.. a moon? I don't know if weaponry and me will go hand in hand, at all. I've never been fond of any kind of brawling..."

Kovar: "I said before, I can't explain it, I just know. I'm certain, as certain as certain can be. Also, as part of the training you'll also learn to focus your mind. It might help you with your axe-making fugues, and if nothing else you'll be able to deftly wield any ax you make no matter how strange."

Adam: He holds his forehead, a drained look on his face. "Oh... oh... oh I need to think about this... I mean... I don't.. just... just give me a moment..."

Kovar: "Well I'd want to explain what this would entail before you make any decisions anyhow. The combat between teacher and student is a sacred one, and its only meaningful if you agree freely and knowingly."

Adam: "Then... what am I in for then? what does this..." he waves his hands, trying out a new word "entail?"

Kovar: "Well, first off it's secret. You'll need to swear to never reveal what goes on to anyone except your own student, if that day ever comes. As for the training, well it relies on the directed imaging I mentioned. It will let you pick things up much faster but there's a side-effect."

Adam: "...will I suddenly lose my body size and have a fondness for axes? Because you're a little late for that..."

Kovar: "No, but it's likely you'll become somewhat more... receptive or suggestible to me, not that you'll be able to tell. It varies from person to person, I was hit with it really hard, at least that's what I was told, as I said it's very hard for the student to tell."

Adam: He takes a step back, eyes narrowed. "You mean... I'm going to follow your every whim. Praise you for everything. Lay down my life for you. Trust you implicitly."

Kovar: "It varies from person to person, but it's not that strong. The most likely effect is that you'll give me somewhat greater weight than other people. Think of it as what happens normally between a teacher and student, but a bit more."

Adam: "But it does happen. You're asking me to basically bare my soul to you. I mean, like you said, you have no idea how strong it can be. So I could turn into a midget pet."

Kovar: "That outcome is highly unlikely. This is why I told you before you decided. The bond between teacher and student is one of trust. I have to trust you to not reveal the traditions secrets and you have to trust that I won't abuse our bond."

Adam: "...why is it so hard for you to just say yes?"

Kovar: "Because I really do want you to be my student. It's a very important decision to make this offer, it's likely to be the only time I do it in my lifetime, and I might be the last remaining weaponmaster. My own teacher, my own order and they're gone and its probably my fault. I finally come across the one I want to be my student, and I'm afraid you'll say no."

***Kovar is bearing his own soul a bit to the dwarf.

Adam: He folds his arms, looking away for a short while, muttering under his breath. "You didn't have to make it sound so bad..." He turns back, taking a breath. "Alright... Fine. I'll do this weaponmaster thing that you want... but on three conditions."

Kovar: "What are they?"

Adam: "Alright. First up, I... uh.. reserve.. um... well.. " he coughs slightly. "I reserve the right for a favour from you. Unconditional. No matter what it is. If it's in your power to do it, and I ask you, then you do it. If you're possibly going to be in my mind and make me even more loyal to you than I am before, then I want to have a safe place to fall back. It will.. it will help me cope more."

Kovar: "That's perfectly alright."

Adam: "Secondly... well... this has to do with the Lebron family honour. The craft of my fathers and the fathers before them has been passed through from eldest son to eldest son. And they come with a teaching. Always pay your dues. If you wish to teach me something that much important to you, your family, and your people, then I am obligated to teach you mine as well. Starting tomorrow, during sunset, we will smith. Every day. With my sharp nose, mining has been easier to do, so most of my afternoons are free. Then, when we finish smithing, we will head to the pub and toast. Every time. That is the Lebron way."

Kovar: "I had wanted to learn how to craft, as I said, a weaponmaster who could shape their own tools would be a powerful force indeed. Plus, getting to know you better is an excellent perk. If you would teach me your craft, I will give it the honor and respect I ask you to show when I teach you the traditions."

Adam: "good then it's settled.... one.. final.. thing..."

Adam: "could we... um... start with Axes?"

***Kovar smiles warmly, "After seeing the results of your day-dreaming that is where I had intended to start. Although just so you know you'll be starting with a wooden training instrument shaped and weighted like an ax. Nothing with an edge until I'm satisfied you will handle it safely."

Adam: He nods, taking a breath. "Alright then... well... what are you waiting for? We should celebrate! Drinks are on me!"

Kovar: "Will do. Although we'll have to put off your first day of training and mind for a couple of days. Tomorrow I need to head back down the mountain to the town where I met Algard and Jussep. The town had offered a reward if the cause of the strange incidents could be found and stopped, and I gave my word to those two that if they followed me up to help they'd get half the reward. Once that is resolved and they decide if they want to go back to being guards, or stay in my service I'll come back up and we can start with you teaching me to smith."

Kovar: "Now, let's get to the tavern."

Adam: "Come along. I heard the landlord saying something about honey made Ale and my mouth just started watering." He walks for a bit, then stops, looking back. "Someday, you will tell me about why you're the only weaponmaster.. won't you?"

Kovar: "Let's just say when the king decided that I needed to be taken out of the picture, my teacher was one of the ones he took to his prison. Needless to say, I don't think he was pleased with my teachers response, and the king was not a man to take an insult lying down." Adam can hear a deep and abiding hatred in Kovar's voice.

Adam: "...us and that King... we're going to have words someday, aren't we?"

Kovar: "If I have anything to say about it, he won't have many."

Kovar: The normally jovial general is now as cold as ice.

Adam: "I see... come on then. Th' ale willnae bevvy itself."

***Kovar follows.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Degowin (The Frozen Wilds, Whitewoods)

A snarling smile was the only reply the frost zombie got from its master. Degowin crept quietly to the next hunter to repeat the process.

Cold+2 to repeat the process. How many hunters in all? Three or Four I would guess.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir- Elysian Sands

As Mazir settled himself after consuming the souls, his mind still flashed with the images of the people he absorbed.

Well that was....Interesting he thought as he shook himself. His vision cleared and he saw his three horrified guests, Hartun and Zel still stoic as they looked at their master.

"Well Berel, I hope that was a sufficient demonstration of my abilities. Now th question is what do you three want? Because I now offer you a chance, I need to build up this ability, I must grow stronger. IF I can do that, then there will be no limit to what I can accomplish, and that means I can offer rewards far beyond what a simple warlord or basic wizard can give. I can give one power, wealth, knowledge, strength, but only if I grow stronger. Serve me, like Hartun and Zel and I will see to that you are rewarded well."

Stepping up to a mirror, Mazir disrobed and took out his dagger. Whispering an incantation of disinfecting, he rang the dagger over his flesh several time until a large symbol was cut on his chest.

"Accept this offer, and take this mark on your body, it will be a symbol of my partnership with you. Hartun and Zel, my loyal companions, will you take this final step and join me in this partnership for the future? Will you seize the chance and take the offer of power that can be yours? Berel, will you and your companions take the step in the journey to a better destiny?

Trying to recruit these three to my cause, and make a cool symbol linking all of us.

[+2 Charisma] Try and convince Berel and the others to join me and take the mark.

[Magic +2] Disinfect the knife so that I won't get an infection from making this cut.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - The Target's Home, Taelos

Octagon watches from an adjacent rooftop, probably. With all the guards making a ruckus in the late Merchant's room, he could do little but wait. Attempting to swoop in would be complete folly. Instead, he would patiently watch until there was an opening. How droll.

I am going to wait until there is an opening (as in, everyone leaves the room to do whatever) before swooping in to retrieve the spider and skidaddle, using Espionage [+4] and Discretion [+4].

Leg it!

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

quote:

***Kovar walked up to Jusep and Algard after his night drinking with Adam. The general's head throbbed dully as spoke to them. "So, it appears the problems with the mountain are over, which means once we return to the town and collect the reward your debt to me is forgiven. Before we arrived there I wanted to talk with you two about the future."

Jusep: "I see. Well Algard's not much one for thinking about anything past meal time so I'll hear what you have to say and translate for him." This earns him a glare from Algard which he meets with a wry smile.

***Kovar gives a gentle laugh. "Well, now that you no longer owe me money and you'll have half of whatever the reward is to split, what do you plan to do?"

Jusep: "Honestly, I had been planning on returning home and probably trying to see if I could catch me a wife before my hair turns grey."

Kovar: "Well I was wondering if either of you would be interested in signing on with me long-term?"

Jusep: "How much will you pay?"

Algard: "Why?"

Algard: "I mean, why pick us?"

Kovar: "Well, because you've already proven you've got the guts to face down a living volcano. Also, you actually managed to pick up on the lesson I was trying to teach Adam quicker than most."

Jusep: "Yes but you want to make an army and go conquer...somewhere. That's not how things work in Taeless. Everyone fights until we pick a winner and then we divvy out prizes and go home. I know what you said to Adam, but I don't believe it. I can see it in your eyes, you want something more than just this town. It's just...like a step up the tower you want to climb. We're just guards, Algard's a fat whiny bastard and I'm mostly a laid back coward who doesn't care enough to really do anything unless I absolutely have to. You can talk up going into the mountain as much as you want, but in the end it was because I needed to pay my debt and because you said I should. You can do better than us, someone who knows about leading people into battle, someone who believes in causes and laying down their lives for them."

Algard: "Speak for yourself Jusep, I would fight for what I believe in." He replies hotly which causes Jusep to look somewhat surprised.

Kovar: "I've never hid the fact that Sellos is the start of something bigger, there's a reason I called it the seed of an empire. Anyhow, you've seen me and Adam and Fel and now Adam's Shadow. Do you really believe the status quo of Taeless can survive the coming of beings like us, and trust me when I say I'm now certain there is something terrible and evil lurking in the west."

Kovar: "The way Taeless has done things is dead, and it's time to adapt or die. Beyond that, for all you prevaricate you went into the heart of a volcano to face a being who had transformed and potentially controlled a whole mountain, and you'd only known me for less than a month, and you were cool the entire time. I've known soldiers who would kill to keep their cool like that. Even if what you did was ordinary, the world is changing, and I need men I can trust working for me, and you fit the bill and then some."

Algard: "So why. Why do you want an Empire?" He says which Jusep thinks. "What would you do with it?"

Kovar: "Because I've seen how things are done, I've watched friends and comrades who shed blood for my sake and who I shed blood for locked up and tortured just because some damned king wanted to, I've seen nobles grow fat and act superior just because of their birth while men worth one hundred of them starved. I want to make a place where none of that happens, where if you have the right to command it comes because you're drat good at it and you won't abuse it. I've seen Taeless and heard of other lands and none of them fit the bill, so I might as well make it myself."

Kovar: "That used to be the only reason, but now there's another. There's something out west, something more horrible than I can possibly describe," the battle-hardened general unconsciously shudders at the thought of that awful feeling, "something that is just so fundamentally wrong it should not exist in the world. If we don't take steps to be ready for it, it'll consume us all. So I want to make a kingdom that can stand up when it comes, a place that is fair and right and just, and I want your help to do it."

Jusep: "So, what would you have us do then?" Jusep asks with a serious expression. "Neither of us know much beyond standing guard in a village where nothing happens."

Kovar: "Well, naturally I'd finish your training in soldiering. In the long term I'm thinking you'll end up in command positions, since the one thing you can't teach is strong nerves, which you two showed you have in abundance. I'm going to have to train an entire army from scratch, not for the first time, so your current lack of skill isn't a problem."

Algard: "And how will you pay for all this? How will you feed us, your army?" He says and Jusep rolls his eyes and mouths 'pig'.

Kovar: "Well to start with there's my half of the money from the reward. Also, I get the feeling that with Adam around we won't lack for funds. Once we get some people I'd like to start taking jobs from nearby towns to start to build some trust to make things easier later."

Jusep: "Tell you what, you find me a wife and you'll have my loyalty for life." Surprisingly he seems fairly dead serious.

Kovar: "Well I'll certainly do my best. What about you Algard?"

Algard: "I dunno. I don't really have anything better to do, it's not like much was going on back home."

Kovar: "So you'll sign on?"

Algard: "That's what I said."

***Kovar smiles, "Well then, I guess the first order of business is to head down to collect that reward, so I can pay you two your share. Then we find Jusep a wife."

WIth Algard and Jusep in tow, Kovar heads back to the town at the base of the mountain, to collect the promised reward.

Heading to pick up a reward.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Vanthos Beltheus

Vanthos is overwhelmed by the sensations and shuts down for a minute, then, when he comes back to full understanding, he's different, changed. He floats...no, stands, even though it is on nothing, next to Balsataroth, and he is filled with both love and envy. And beyond both is an immense hunger; a desire to take all things into himself. He had had arthritis in his wrist, a dull pain that was always there under the surface, something he was never fully aware of but which always impinged on him. That was gone now. He knelt in front of the Demon Lord, and took the creatures oversized hand in his.

"My Lord", he croaks. "I am Beltheus, and I give you my service", he says, kissing the hand of the great Demon Lord. "Order me, and I will obey."

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 26, 2013

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Aldrain eats his meal, listening to the chatter in the meal hall, trying to see if any of the staff are discussing anything that could explain the horrible feeling he had.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Adam - the Adelphi River, running through Sellos

Afternoons that were not spent deep in a mine, where usually spent keeping one's self busy in the depths of their smithy. But when one cannot stop themselves for spontaneously making all forms of axes, they must find their focus elsewhere. It took a while to ask around, find out where his - as the girls were saying it - better half, had gone, so when he arrived at the river, sunset was not far off, basking it in a cool orange light. He walked to the edge of the water, looking for him.

quote:

Thadroin was relaxing in the water, running his hands through his wet beard and hair. He seemed so engrossed he did not notice that Adam had arrived.

Adam: He rolled his eyes, a little miffed at how easily the - whatever he was - was taking to the beard Adam dreaded every morning. He took a breath to calm himself, before calling out. "OI! Thadroin! Think it's clean now!"

Thadroin: "Oh Adam, that's not it. I'm enjoying the sensation of it being wet. I don't think I had a beard before."

Adam: "Aye... I'm not used to it yet. It's too much to clean in one go. How the bloody hell you're having so much fun with it, I couldn't possibly know. Don't enjoy yourself too much now. Other people need to use the river and no one likes it covered in ginger hairs."

Thadroin:
"Ah but ye never been without a body for time beyond countin'."

Adam:"That's a point. Well.. do you mind if I talk to you while you bathe? Although I don't want to be shouting it across the river like this."

Thadroin "Feel free, in fact ye be welcome to join me if ye be wantin' to."

Adam: He looked away, frowning with a sigh, then began to take off his shirt. Despite himself, one of the few things he enjoyed was a good wash in the river, but that was before he had shrunk. since then, he had refrained from constant reminders, like how his bed seemed to fit him better, or that he had to order new clothes, or that there were hairs growing in places on his body that hair should definately NOT grow. Regardless, the thought of the water was appealing, and as long as he stayed submerged, he figured he'd be fine. Stripping down, he jumped in, coming up to speak. "Right. There. Now where was I. Thadroin... think we need to talk about you... and Kovar."

Thadroin:"What do ye wish to speak of? He does na trust me, but then he feels it strange that people might find it concerning he wishes to spend time alone with ye with a room of sharp weapons at his immediate disposal. I have no will to gainsay his motives, but he has not earned my trust, nor my his."

Adam: "Now.. I understand that," he says, taking a gulp of air and begiining to rinse his own beard, his mind struggling to keep a hold of his accent; being around Thadroin and hearing him speak made him feel out of place. "And I can see how you two are probably not going to get along, but, well, you said you were willing to stay for a while, and maybe even help me a bit while you're here. I'm not saying you should leave, Thadroin. As a matter of fact, despite our rather painful beginnings, you've been a fairly swell guy. Just that, even with your memories going, I have to give you the same level of trust as I do Kovar... and I cannae do that if I get afraid that the two of you will bash heads when I'm not around. I mean, look at it from his example - you came out of my arm after I stabbed myself with a chisel. Not exactly great first impressions."

Thadroin: "An' ye be right to do so as well." Thadroin said gravely, nodding his head in agreement with what Adam was saying. "I do not ask any more than you be giving to Kovar mind, just a chance t'prove meself."

Adam: "And I'm alright with that. To be honest," he added, smiling, "It's been nice not being the centre of attention for a while now. You're here, he's here, and whether I like it or not you're not bloody important to me. Him cause he's giving me the courage to try and not just hide in the mines - did I tell you he said he was going to train me to be one of his weaponmaster students? That sounds... big! And you, well... I don't know much about you... but you seem to know everything I do, so that makes you a hell of a smithy, and kind of my brother."

Thadroin: "Brother..." Thadroin says quietly thinking for a moment. An intense frown creases his face for a moment, until he shakes his head and relaxes. "I thought I recalled somethin', but it be gone now."

Adam:"Ey..." he says, rising enough out of the water to lift a hand onto Thadroin's shoulder. "Look. Don't stretch yerself. Whatever happened tae ye, aam sure you'll mim'im in due time. Maybe it's fur th'best 'at it's gone fur noo."

Thadroin: "Mayhaps ye be right. Anyway, just ken that ye be different to Kovar. He be th'sort to go off'n fight, while ye prefer to remain ina place an' build up a home an' hearth."

Adam: "I know I know. Now.. while we're on the subject... you say you know everything about me... aye? Is there anything about yourself you do remember? Mostly remember being able to do? You mentioned you could help when you were in my head, but that might have just been something I was imagining."

Thadroin: "I ken about ye abilities more than ye do, since afore I was in ye'head."

Adam: "Well.. explain them to me. I know being short seems to have it's benefits, but it doesn't really make sense. I can see in the dark, I can feel the earth below, and I am pretty sure the other day I drank enough ale for ten men. How the bloody hell does any of that relate?"

Thadroin: "Because ye no longer be 'uman."

Adam: "...what?"

Thadroin: "Kovar gained a power t'see connection an' how a battle fares, all in 'is mind afore it happens. But ye became sommin of th'earth and ground. How many men and women do ye ken that look alike ye and do what ye can?"

Adam: He looked away, grumbling. "...I don't know that many people at all." He turned back face concerned. "Alright. I'll buy that. But why? Why now? And why this? What am I then?"

Thadroin: "The burning star ye saw across the sky. As fer what, ye are yerself. What ye want t'call it be up t'ye. In time more will come."

Adam: "So ye sayin... so you're saying, that I have some control over this? That I can be whatever I want? That I in time, I can change myself? That's... well.. heh." He folded his arms, eyebrow raised. "So.. in time, I can do what Kovar does just as well, I just have to wish it? What does that make me then? A god?"

Thadroin:
"A god...of course! Civar! But then..." Thadroin says, as if realising something. "But is this...arrgh, if only I'could r'member." He seems frustrated by his inability to remember.

Adam: He looked at him, then took another step forward in the water. "Don't stress it. It's somewhere in your head. Maybe... well.. you say I can do what I want... right? Maybe I can make.. you.. remember? But I don't know if that is a good thing."

Thadroin: "I do no know. But if ye be a god it be a strange thing. Ye walk among men, bleed like men...it is not th'same but mayhaps it is a start?"

Adam: "I don't like the idea of gods. People praying to you, asking you for things, telling stories of the bad things you'll do if people don't pray to you... I'm not that kind of person. I just want to be left alone. So let's not worry about what I am. You're more of a concern to me right now. I'll swear to you know, iI will do what I can, to get your memories back, good or ill. Till then, don't stress yourself, you make me look bad when you do."

Thadroin:
"Ye be a kind man, or whatever ye wish t'call yerself. But as Kovar says, the world be a changin' and for better or worse, ye be one o'those at th'centre of it."

Adam: He frowned, his face deepened with determination. "Then... then.... 'en ah will change wi' it, until it is ready tae change wi' me."

Thadroin: Thadroin nods and then seems to decide to finish bathing. The shadows grow long and soon the night chill will be in the air, not that Adam has really noticed such things recently. When Thadroins leaves the river, the water seems to flow off of him as if he was just a stone. He's a bit damp, yes, but not as much as a normal man or woman would be. "We should return, they be unstopping the ale kegs soon."

Adam: "Aye..." he says, he himself finishing his washing. "You're right. Plus tomorrow, we have to hit the mines again. Oh... and I do mean we. The folks who work the place can't keep up with me recently, and you might as well start working for all the ale I'm paying for. I've got to get to work building that underground hovel, and you know about as much of it as I do."

Thadroin: "Hmm, a solid feet of rock at least above me head would be more comforting than such an expanse of starry sky."

Adam: "I can get behind that..." he says, climing out of the river a little further down. "Come on. We better head in. Race you."

A night of rather drunken antics ensue, before both of them head back to his house to collapse in a stupor. His brothers had returned to the city to do their respective shopping, and as midgets don't take up that much space, Adam offered Thadroin a place to stay till the hovel was built. Kovar would be out of town for a while, which meant that he had a bit of time to plan and work with his newfound brother before the tension mounted again, and he planned to use it.

Action: We're going to start work on that underground hovel. We'll plan it out, see where it will go, talk to the foreman, that kind of thing. Also take extra care to have a room dedicated to Fel while we do. No sense in burying a body that's turned to stone.
+4 Metal worker: He have a lot of digging and searching to do before we find what we need
+2 (Divine) Dwarf: Fortunately for us, I happen to have a thing for the underground.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Oh my gosh. Really? Come on people. Really?"

I stare downwards at the fallen members of the mob. The horrible, duplicitous, bad people who lied and tried to take what was clearly not theirs.

"We live in a society of laws, and as a group we agree to hold to those laws in the belief that if we do the natural result is a more just and fair world for us all. Look I'm not going to tell you that life has to be all roses and honour. But really now, wouldn't you rather live somewhere people do the right thing because that way everybody gets treated right? You really shouldn't take things that don't belong to you"

(Crapcrapcrap! Why is it glowing and making that noise? Aaaah it's on fire why is it on fire why am I raising it up and-)

Raising the sheathed Sword aloft I strike a dramatic pose almost involuntarily, bathing the entire square in it's surprisingly warm light.

(Oh this doesn't burn at all...)

"Let those who would do ill beware. I, Eisner Faust have come to give succor to the weak, make right which is wrong, and destroy the wicked. Repent your misdeeds, lest you be burned by the light of Justice. Repent, that you may be forgiven!"

Helmet still ringing from the sudden and bold declaration I look down into the faces of the mob, halfway between expectant and angry. Blanching slightly I wonder how many of them are the former and not the latter, and pray that enough of them remember cheering so enthusiastically cheering for me just a few days ago.

Ilvis will wield the Sacred Sword and try to strike a sufficiently inspirational pose. Maybe the light burns the eyes of the unrighteous or something unless they repent, and count on the tide of public goodwill from being Champion to not look like a complete git waving around a glowstick in the middle of the marketsquare shouting about Repentance.

+2 Sacred Sword (supernatural power): Oh balls, it's glowing! drat look at it go. What's that uh, singing noise? Aaaah, might as well hold it aloft and kind of hope for the best here. The old woman did say that it was both amazing and magical. Maybe it can... show these people what it means to not be such a bunch of lying jerks and uh, shower them with the light of righteousness? Righteousness is sacred, amazing, and magical right?
+4 Champion: Hey! I'm the Champion aren't I? That's got to count for something doesn't it? I mean, all these people were just cheering and calling my name just a few days ago so it probably looks like I know what I'm doing and

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Southern Gindarr Jungle -> Minburg

poo poo. It is one of the best fertilizers of the fields. It smells bad. It has rained all over his day today, because now he has turned into a filthy bug. Perhaps this was just part of the insanity and his brain had finally gone all the way? Wings, after all, were something that he never had before, but were something that he always wished that he had.

Bzzt.

And yet there they were. Not quite the glorious things that he had wished for, as he much preferred those of a bird. Like on of the angels in the glass windows. He presses one of his chitin-plated feet into the dirt, and looks at the murky reflection in the water. There still had to be some of himself left- After all, he was still thinking like himself, though he no longer felt alone. It was hard to be lonely with thousands of voices talking to you all at once- All of them minor, industrious, and important all the same time.

Not like those people who always whined for more, yet did such so that they could just work less. These calls for more were as genuine as the work they put towards that "more." The people of Minburg could learn lots from these bugs.

Though thinking of hypothetical possibilities was a troublesome thing, just like daydreaming. He may be back in the prime of his life as a horrid bug creature, but that did not mean he had to break his usual routine. He returned back to his home in Minburg, cloak tightly wrapped about his features, where he began orchestrating his plan.

All he had to do was provide minor direction to his charges and all would be well. And just stay composed. Don't panic, old man, this is something that everyone goes through. Really.

Using Insect Lord +2 (Is this divine? If not, I'll not use it), Divine: Hivemind Usurper +2, and Agricultural Genius +4 to begin a Minburg-Scale insect agriculture! The wasps will rove the fields and eliminate any rodents or unwelcomed bugs that are ruining the crops, the bees will continue to keep the fields pollinated while making sure their honey stocks are healthy enough to feed the bug community, and the ants will continue to plant and tend to the fields. How could a man refuse to feed the world when given such an opportunity?

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Daveron squinted as he looked at his neice's sword, the light shining from it giving him an immense headache. Grumbling, he brought his flask up and took a large swig, burping as he ran his arm across his stubbly face.

Looking at the crowd, some standing in awe, some cowering fearfully, Daveron noticed an elderly man still pulling some of the stolen goods to his chest, pretending to kneel. Daveron strode over, a grumpy look on his face, and pulled the man up by his collar for the crowd to see, striking an imposing figure next to the light from his neice's sword.

"Look at this wretch! Lesser men are slain for what he's done..." Daveron narrows his eyes toward the people, letting his words sink in. The old man scrabbles at his neck. "I offer two options...let those with blackened hearts step forward, and confess their crimes..." Daveron pulls his sword out of it's sheathe, and plunges it into the man's chest, "Or I decide who's guilty or not."

Using +2 Bad Luck to get those who are truly terrible criminals (not so much the unfortunate, people scrambling for change that they need to feed their family) to stumble foward again, sprawling themselves on the ground as the crowd tenses up trying not to reveal or accidentally reveal themselves; using +2 Noble Blooded because hell, we pretty much are the law in this place.

• Locked thread