Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

gently caress the coasts, send it to me (and I'll throw in a few rolls of film with the box when I pass it on).

Qualifications: gently caress all these city folk, I'm going to take pictures of cows in my backyard.

COWSNIPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When it's done in the PNW if someone wants to send it north to Canada I'm not far from Vancouver.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Alright, I've got a PM out to Impact Damage requesting his mailing address and reassurances that he'll forward the camera to someone else quickly. If he doesn't get back to me by the time I finish shooting, it's going to TheLastManStanding. If they both die in the next week, I'm going for the wildcard pick of beloved front page writer Josh "Livestock" Boruff, who probably has no idea this thread exists, but does enjoy photography (and is a real-life friend who would enjoy this) (and would still shoot more quickly than most of the NYC folks).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Bonus points* if you get a picture of Livestock on the AE-1. His front-page articles are one of the reasons I paid my :10bux: in the first place.

* Bonus points are redeemable nowhere

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'd love to, but that requires a plane ticket. In all seriousness, he's one of the funniest guys I know and it bums me out that he moved out of state. :(

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Send it to me in New Mexico and I'll take lovely photos of clouds and rocks.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

So, funny thing. I just got a PM back from Impact Damage stating that he just moved to - wait for it - New York. So, I'm gonna send it to TheLastManStanding.

LastMan - I have your contact info from the holiday photo exchange, so unless you've moved, you're good. I'll send you a PM with the tracking number once the camera has left my hands.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh sure so Chicago gets the shaft. t:mad:t

Coasts don't have the only pretty things to take pictures of, you know.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
:dance: If it gets here by Wednesday night I'll be able to take it to Tahoe for a bunch of snowy mountaineering.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Doubt it will make it there that fast. FedEx thinks the camera will get to me by Tuesday, and I usually see the FedEx truck in my neighborhood later in the day. I just don't see how I could run a roll of film through it (unless I actually photograph my cat), and get it to the post office, AND have it arrive in NorCal that fast. Even if I paid for overnight shipping, I believe the cutoff time for it is in the early afternoon.

Please send the camera to either Livestock or Chicago after you're done with it.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
I just received and responded to Bob Socko's PM and I figured I'd update the rest of the thread as well. A lot has changed for me and I sure as hell wasn't expecting all of the delay that's been going on but as of a couple weeks ago I've relocated from Austin to NY and am starting a new bitchin' job. I'm currently in a transitionary mess but once the camera has made its run and is on its way back to the original owner I'd love to have the opportunity to give it a shot, if the opinion of NYC has cooled by then (I know it's a touchy subject at the moment).

For future reference, my qualifications are that I'm new to the city, will be working in the middle of it, spend all of my free time exploring new nooks and crannies and have already shot about two rolls on my Olympus XA in the last week and a half or so. Also when taking a one way flight with nothing but a backpack and bike I found priority in packing my developing tank and reels. By the time the camera would be ready for me I'd be settled in my job and my new home, probably in the process of squeezing a darkroom into a tiny box of an apartment and I'll be plenty prepared to fire off a few rolls.

So hit me up in spring or summer, thread!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I see no mention of either hookers or blow in that update, unless "developing tank" is an euphemism of some kind. Poor form!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Just wanted to point out that this is a pretty pro-tier snype.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

Oh sure so Chicago gets the shaft. t:mad:t

Coasts don't have the only pretty things to take pictures of, you know.

Don't even talk about getting the shaft. New Jersey got straight up hosed by the assholes in New York.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

rio posted:

Don't even talk about getting the shaft. New Jersey got straight up hosed by the assholes in New York.

Jersey deserves it. :radcat:

EDIT:I meant getting hosed, not the camera.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

FedEx has postponed delivery to Wednesday, which means Wednesday evening, which means I'll probably shoot on Thursday.

Given that the camera just hung out in a major metro area for several months, should I go shoot the countryside instead?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bob Socko posted:

FedEx has postponed delivery to Wednesday, which means Wednesday evening, which means I'll probably shoot on Thursday.

Given that the camera just hung out in a major metro area for several months, should I go shoot the countryside instead?

Considering that I don't think anyone from NY even uploaded any pictures I don't think it matters what you shoot.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
nonanone did everything right. She wins New York. The rest of you (you know who you are), please upload photos ASAP, this thread is boring without pretty (or ugly, I don't mind) pictures to stare at. And unless you specifically say NO I will start posting pictures here to the Tumblr (I'm talking to you, Awkward Davies).

Regarding subject matter, here's what I said in the OP, it's my standing request and it's still valid:

ExecuDork posted:

7. I think of photography as a way for people to show each other something of their world. Show me your world.

Take whatever pictures you like. Urban, rural, maritime, indoors, outdoors, cats, dogs, iquanas, bugs, people, angry people, whatever.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

7. I think of photography as a way for people to show each other something of their world. Show me your world.
7a. Don't show me your dick.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Well, yeah. I had hoped it didn't need to be spelled out, but yeah. No dick pics (unless they're really, really ART)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Hard nipples are okay right?

Hard = art, soft = smut.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

Take whatever pictures you like. Urban, rural, maritime, indoors, outdoors, cats, dogs, iquanas, bugs, people, angry people, whatever.
I know, I just thought I'd offer up some variety.

The camera has made it as far as Oregon, now set to be delivered tomorrow.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Bob Socko posted:

I know, I just thought I'd offer up some variety.

The camera has made it as far as Oregon, now set to be delivered tomorrow.

honestly the bar is so low right now that pixels on a screen is variety.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

It's here! It's here! Figuring out the ISO selector was a little weird, I was worried I was going to break the control wheel.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Huzzah!

What film did you load into it?

Now shoot! shooooooot!!! gogogogogogogogo!

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I went to four different stores looking for black and white film - two drugstores, a grocery store, and finally a camera store. No luck. I finally gave up and bought a roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 because I've had good luck shooting at ISO 320 around here. I shot two photos, only to learn that the first two photos are usually burned when you load the film. Oh well.

I'll use most of the roll tomorrow, if not all of it. Depends on if I have time to get to the base of Snoqualmie Falls by 10 AM or not - if not, I'll do it Friday. Either way, the camera will be on its way in a couple of days.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Bob Socko posted:

I went to four different stores looking for black and white film - two drugstores, a grocery store, and finally a camera store. No luck. I finally gave up and bought a roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 because I've had good luck shooting at ISO 320 around here. I shot two photos, only to learn that the first two photos are usually burned when you load the film. Oh well.

I'll use most of the roll tomorrow, if not all of it. Depends on if I have time to get to the base of Snoqualmie Falls by 10 AM or not - if not, I'll do it Friday. Either way, the camera will be on its way in a couple of days.

Glazer's has a ton of B&W as does Kenmore Camera.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I figured they would, but I'm out in Sammamish and don't want to drive all that way for one roll of film. I probably could of checked Omega Photo in downtown Bellevue, but I ran out of time today.

Edit - just checked Omega's website, they don't carry B&W film anymore. Glad I didn't make the trip.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 24, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I am sorry that you live in the scrub tier part of the Seattle metro (ei; anywhere outside the city limits). Too bad you are planning on sending the camera out in a timely fashion otherwise I would offer to meet you some where and hand off a roll of Arista Premium.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

I am sorry that you live in the scrub tier part of the Seattle metro (ei; anywhere outside the city limits). Too bad you are planning on sending the camera out in a timely fashion otherwise I would offer to meet you some where and hand off a roll of Arista Premium.

Why would be there any issue with a local trade instead of mailing? I know someone else is up next, but if it can save someone fifteen bucks on shipping...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Why would be there any issue with a local trade instead of mailing? I know someone else is up next, but if it can save someone fifteen bucks on shipping...

Nah I don't want the camera I just meant I would have donated a roll of B&W to the project. It takes me like a month to shoot a roll of 35mm no need to have that hanging over my head.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

Nah I don't want the camera I just meant I would have donated a roll of B&W to the project. It takes me like a month to shoot a roll of 35mm no need to have that hanging over my head.

Okay good, we've had enough deadbeats :v:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Edit - in the time it took me to type up a response while chasing around my toddler, I saw that 8th doesn't want the camera. Thanks for the offer of film, that's a very nice gesture. Hit up the next person who gets it in Seattle?

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 24, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

but seattle could be the new new york!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

but seattle could be the new new york!

Already is, half of my friends moved to Seattle from NY.

Bob Socko posted:

Edit - in the time it took me to type up a response while chasing around my toddler, I saw that 8th doesn't want the camera. Thanks for the offer of film, that's a very nice gesture. Hit up the next person who gets it in Seattle?

Thanks, I do appreciate the offer but with my work schedule right now photography is a bit rough. If this camera keeps on moving I would be interested in shooting a roll sometime in the future.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bob Socko posted:

I bought a roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 because I've had good luck shooting at ISO 320 around here. I shot two photos, only to learn that the first two photos are usually burned when you load the film. Oh well.

This is a good plan. A fine plan. I am well pleased.
Lookin' forward to some waterfall and forest pictures. Or something else PNW-ish.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I am planning a cross country drive in May or June and could pick up or drop off the camera any where between Seattle and upstate NY on I90. If the logistics aren't a nightmare I think it would be cool to shoot a roll on the road or something and then hand it over to some other nerd along the way. No solid plans yet just thought I would see what people think of that idea.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

8th-samurai posted:

I think we should keep it in the PNW for three months as a gently caress you to NYC.

YES

no dont send it to me till late feburary because im buying a house and this poo poo is consuming my life :gonk:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I just want to say, what the gently caress? Here I've offered pictures of cows standing next to oil wells and the camera goes all the way across the US. Man....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Right now would be a good time to have it in Chicago too because everything is frozen and dead, but lacking snow. It looks super post-apocalypse.

:colbert:

• Locked thread