Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

:siren: Sacrifice of the Vaal, the first mini expansion, launches on March 5th! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxx8NNxROE&hd=1

:frogsiren: We have two guilds so far. The main one is Pants in Exile and the overflow is Grinding Gear Goons. We also have a Steam group. :frogsiren:

:tinfoil: Make sure you check the guild status every time you log in. You never know when there might be a purge. :tinfoil:

How to get a Guild Invite
Note: Guild Purges happen every so often and are unannounced in this thread. You need to log on and follow the guild status instructions to make sure you're not kicked for inactivity.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Here's a big important :frogsiren: GUILD ANNOUNCEMENT :frogsiren:

NOTE: SINCE SLOTS ARE LIMITED, IF YOU gently caress SOMETHING UP CHANCES ARE THE GUILD WILL BE FULL BEFORE I GET A CHANCE TO ASK FOR CORRECTIONS. PAY THE gently caress ATTENTION.

The goon guild Pants in Exile <GOATSE> is a 250-slot guild that any goons are free to join! There are no level requirements, guilds are cross-league and account based. To join, either
1) PM me on SA, giving me one of your CHARACTER NAMES. Account names will not work.
2) Join our IRC. Once on IRC, message Skyl3lazer or Katasi or Munion, and include A LINK to your SomethingAwful Profile, wherein you have written POE, and one of your CHARACTER NAMES. Again, account names will not work!
If for some reason you gently caress these steps up you'll probably think I'm all mean or whatever when I ask you to correct them, or when I think I've invited you but you gave an account name instead of a character name and it just didnt invite you at all.

In addition, once I invite you you'll have around 24 hours to accept the invite before I recall it, since people who have an invite pending count against the number of people in your guild.

Also note, if you pmed me before this post I deleted it. You will need to resend any request to join.

Vax posted:

Gyoru could you add the second guild "Grinding Gear Goons" to the OP? People that can invite so far are "Vax" ingame "YesPlx" and "Diet Lime" ingame "MorganaMorgose", thanks.

What is Path of Exile?
    Diablo 2 with Final Fantasy VII's Materia System and Final Fantasy X's Sphere Grid
    Path of Exile is an action RPG similar in style to Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Torchlight, etc. It's an online game meaning you must login to the game servers to play. All characters and items are stored on the persistent servers. Outside of the region specific login servers, the game servers are unified worldwide. You can play with anyone from any region. You can play solo or with up to 6 players at once in an instance. There are town hubs where you can trade with other players and pick up quests. Depending on the ladder, there is Arena style PVP and Cutthroat style PVP where you can invade people's rooms. World areas are instanced. Areas are randomly generated with story specific templates. The game world is divided into 3 Acts just like in Diablo and Diablo 2. There are multiple difficulties starting from Normal to Chaos.

Path of Exile is going to be free to download and play? Does this mean people who frequent the cash shop will gain a huge gameplay advantage?

Official Site posted:

Completely free to download and play. Supported by ethical microtransactions.

Path of Exile is completely free to play - no upfront costs or monthly fees are required to enjoy 100% of the game content.

To fund the development and maintenance costs of the project, we plan to let players purchase aesthetic perks for their characters such as:
- Additional character animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
- Dyes and item skins
- Alternate spell effects
- Social pets

We will also offer some optional paid services such as:
- Inter-realm/inter-account character transfers
- Character renaming

You’ll notice nothing in the list above confers an actual gameplay advantage.

Classes
Each class starts in a specific area of the skill tree so they can gain easier access to nodes that relate to their class. This doesn't mean you can't branch out toward other nodes - in fact it's encouraged. You can wield any weapon as long as you have the stats for it. Check out the passive skill tree. It's huge.

Scion: (New class for Launch/1.0.x - Must complete Normal difficulty to unlock on your account)
Focus: Strength/Dexterity/Intelligence

Marauder
Focus: Strength

Ranger
Focus: Dexterity

Witch
Focus: Intelligence

Duelist
Focus: Strength/Dexterity

Templar
Focus: Strength/Intelligence

Shadow
Focus: Dexterity/Intelligence
The Passive Skill Tree (aka the Sphere Grid)
    Passive skills are a part of the huge passive skill tree. You gain 1 passive skill point every level although you can get some bonus passive skill points as quest rewards. Check out the passive skill tree.

Keystones are the large sized nodes scattered around the outer edges of the tree. They dramatically change your character so a lot of builds are based around certain Keystones.

Passive Skill Refund points are available as quest rewards or from the rare Orb of Regret item.

Skill Gems
    Active skills are found as loot or quest rewards in form of a skill gem. Skill gems must be socketed into your equipment for you to be able to use it. Skill gems gain experience as you kill stuff while they're socketed. Leveling up gems will improve the skill and maybe unlock new abilities within the old skill.

Support gems can also be socketed, but their placement is the key to their use. Linking a support gem next to a skill gem will improve it.

Gems can only be placed in matching sockets. STR based = Red / INT based = Blue / DEX based = Green.

Skill Gems that are socketed into equipment gain EXP as you kill things. Skill EXP is not shared among gems so equip as many as you like. Keep in mind that as Skill Gems level so do their stat requirements.

When a Skill Gem is ready to be a leveled, a prompt will appear on the bottom right showing the gem and a [+] button. Click the [+] button to level the gem. If you miss the on-screen prompt, another prompt will remain at the bottom of your inventory so long as a gem can be leveled.

Skill Gems used to level on their own automatically without any user interaction, but this led to some cases where a Skill Gem's stat requirements would outpace the player's own stats. Certain builds required the use of low level Skill Gems so they added the manual leveling.

The Economy
    There is no in-game currency. Buying and selling from is done through a barter system. You will trade items to get consumables back like ID scrolls, portal scrolls, orbs, shards, scraps, etc. You trade in those consumables to buy equipment from a vendor.

There are trade recipes that have discovered that allow you to get rarer items. For example, trading an amulet, red skill gem, blue skill gem, and green skill gem will net you an Onyx amulet that grants +10 to +20 to all stats. It's a useful beginner amulet.

melon farmer posted:

Currency, or "what the gently caress do you mean there's no gold"

So instead of gold, this game uses a pretty complex system of orbs as its currency. Unlike most other games' currency though where its just a medium of exchange, the orbs in PoE have significant use-value. Here they are roughly from least valueable to most:

Orb of Augmentation: adds one mod to a one-mod magic item. Feel free to use these, you will find them in truckloads and they have no trade value. You can buy Alteration Orbs per 4 Augmentations at the magic vendor.
Orb of Transmutation: makes a white item into a blue item, and adds 1 or 2 random mods. Feel free to use these too, you find a lot of them and you'll use them less and less as you progress (until you get to maps, where you will use them frequently to make white maps into blue ones before running them). You can buy Augmentations with them at the vendor, or trade them in for 4 wisdom scrolls (don't do this). Selling unidentified magic/rare items gives you shards for these.
Armorer's Scrap/Blacksmith's Whetstone: Improves the quality of a white item by 5%, magic item by 2%, or a rare/unique item by 1%. Quality improves the base damage or defense of your item (so armor on an armor piece, e.g.). Typically a stack of these is worth roughly a chaos orb in exchange-value on SC ladder, but YMMV. Also interacts with Jeweler's and Fusing Orbs in a way I'll touch on later.
Glassblower’s Bauble:Improves quality of a flask, by 5%/2% for white/blue flasks. Quality bonus of each flask varies by flask type, wiki it if you have a great flask that you ‘re thinking of baubling.
Chromatic Orb: rearranges the colors of sockets on an item. This is the first orb that you have to actually care about your supply of, you will want a lot of these for gear once you get to the point where a) you have enough support gems to need a specific color combination on your 4-link/5-link items, and b) your gear isn't changing every 2-3 levels. Note that items types are biased towards the socket color that matches their type, so Armor pieces will gravitate red, ES pieces will gravitate blue, etc. If you want an all R/G colored ES chest for example, be prepared to spend MANY chromatic orbs. You can get these as drops, but most commonly you'll get them by selling R-G-B linked items to either vendor.
Alteration Orb: rerolls a magic item with new random properties. Worth just ever so slightly more than a Chromatic, you'll use these all throughout your character's life, but be smart about it - you're going to want them around so don't blow them all on a level 10 hammer or whatever. Common uses include rolling flasks to get certain mods (instant healing, extra charges, %recovery provided to minions, etc.), and rolling well-socketed mid-level gear to get life/resists/damage mods that make it a useful piece. Also heavily used in the end-game map system, to get your blue maps to have properties that you want. You can buy Jeweler's orb per 2 of these at the magic vendor. Selling id'd magic/rare items gives you shards for these.
Jeweler's Orb: randomly reforges the number of sockets on an item. BEWARE: the maximum number of sockets you can get is a function of the item's itemlevel, which is a separate and hidden property from the required level to equip it. For example, staves can get a maximum of 6 sockets. But if your staff is itemlevel 5 (click on the staff to get it on your cursor, and type /itemlevel), you won't get more than 3 sockets. Itemlevel of roughly 50 is required to get 6 sockets on an item. You'll use these a reasonable amount; you'll end up finding some item that would be a definite upgrade if only it had 4 sockets on it instead of 1, so you could swap in all your skill gems. Here's where Jewelers (followed by chromatics and/or fusings) come in. You can buy Fusing orbs per 4 jewelers at the magic vendor.
Chance Orb: upgrades a white item to a random rarity. PoE’s version of gambling, this is one way to get certain unique items (and maybe end up with a decent rare as a consolation prize). For instance, using chance orbs on the Occultist’s Vestment chest-piece has a (smallllllll) chance of yielding the incredibly valuable Shavronne’s Wrappings. Don’t expect to hit the lotto without a lot of rolls though. There are only a couple of base items types that are +EV to chance, I like to think of it more as a fun distraction every time I come back from a map run or whatever.
Fusing Orb: reforges the links on an item to a random state (that it's not currently in). So if you have an R G B item, using a fusing might make it R-G B, R G-B, or R-G-B. The odds are NOT equal though, the odds are weighted against you fully linking your item, heavily so for attempting to 5- and 6-link.
Note: if the item has quality on it, Jewelers and Fusings, when used on that item, will “consume” the items quality and, for that roll only, improve the chances of a favorable result. So if I jeweler a 1 socket, 20% quality item, I’m more likely to get 6 sockets compared to an attempt on a 0% Q item, but I also lose the 20% quality.
Alchemy Orb: worth slightly less than a fusing in trade chat, this item has arguably equal or better use-value. It takes a white item and makes it rare, rolling random mods and values appropriate to the item’s level. Since rares can have up to 6 mods, this take a white item you might be interested in using (say, a white item with the right type of protection for your character, e.g. Armor, and also has the correct number/links/colors of sockets you want) and makes it significantly more powerful. Also used on higher-level end-game maps to give them intersting properties (and increasing the quality of loot they drop). You can buy this, at a significant loss to yourself, from the magic vendor for 1 regret orb.
Scouring Orb:”removes all properties from an item” is slightly misleading: it basically makes the item white. So sockets/links and implicit mods (e.g., cold resist on a Sapphire Ring) are preserved. A good way to set up a blue item for alch’ing, or to reverse an unfavorable set of rolls on an alchemy orb or similar. Worth roughly a fusing orb in trade chat
Blessed Orb: rerolls the numeric values of the IMPLICIT mods on an item. So say we have a 20% cold resist sapphire ring, say it’s magic and has +life and +fire resist on it. Using a blessed orb on it will reroll the cold resist percentage value only. Worth roughly a chaos orb in trade chat.
Chaos Orb: this is basically the us dollar of the PoE economy – always in demand, high use-value, many many things on trade-chat will be denominated in terms of chaos orbs. It does the same thing an Alteration Orb does (rerolls an item with new random properties), but for rare items. So it’s a version of gambling, but a structured one – one of the methods of end-game crafting involves alch’ing a desirable white item, and then chaos spamming it until the item is amazing. Trade chat values fluctuate a lot, but this is worth roughly 2 fusings. Most of us mortals will use these primarily for trading, it can take a LOT of them to make an end-game white item into a great rare.
Regret Orb:Worth roughly a chaos, this orb provides the character that uses it 1 passive respec point (which can be used to refund 1 skill on the passive tree). If you’ve followed this wall of text to this point, and looked at your own stash, you’ve probably gleaned that respeccing is very expensive. Unless they decide to abandon the concept of this orb entirely, this is why many people think that GGG will not add in a respec microtransaction, quest, or similar.
Regal Orb:takes a magic item and makes it a rare item, adding ONE random mod. Since this three-mod item will likely be of little additional utility on its own, you can do one of two things with it 1) chaos it – this is p dumb since if you didn’t care about the mods that were on your magic item, for the price you should have just scoured and then alc’d it 2) use exalted orbs, coupled with eternal orbs, to meticulously craft your ideal item.
Gemcutter’s Prism:improves the quality of a gem by 1%. Worth roughly 3 chaos orbs. There’s also a vendor recipe where you can trade a level 20 gem to the vendor, with 1 GCP, and get back a level 1, 20%quality version of the gem. Luckily getting level 20 gems is hard so GCP’s still have use-value. However, a quick glance at trade chat will show you that you shouldn’t Q up a gem from scratch with these – far cheaper to buy a ~12% or so quality gem on trade chat, and GCP it up from there.
Divine Orb: rerolls the EXPLICIT numeric values on an item. So for our Sapphire ring example earlier, a divine orb would reroll the life and fire resist only. Note that the range isn’t fully random, there are brackets depending on which specific life prefix you rolled – look up item affixes before you start considering using divine orbs on your things. Roughly 10 chaos will buy you one of these.
Exalted Orb: This is the rich-man’s currency in PoE. During anarchy they fluctuated between 50 chaos per exalt, to roughly 25 chaos per exalt by the end of the ladder season. It takes a rare item with < 6 properties, and adds one random property to it. “That kind of sucks for something that’s worth 20+chaos”, you’re thinking – and you’re sort of right. Unless you’re in the 1% these have FAR more worth as an exchange currency. Here’s where their use-value shines: say I am rich (im poor), and run many late game maps. I come across a 6L armor chestpiece that has all my right socket colors for my skill, and since it has a high itemlevel it can roll good stat ranges. I can either do the alch-chaos spam thing I mentioned earlier, OR since alteration orbs are cheap I can do the following: transmute it, and alt/aug it until I get two great mods I like. Then I can use a regal orb, and if my regal result sucks I scour and start over. If my regal result is great, then I can use exalted orbs (coupled with eternal orbs) to “ensure” that I will “eventually” end up with exactly the item mods I want. This is the meticulous player’s version of end-game crafting, and with the introduction of eternal orbs, overtook the alch-chaos game as arguably the preferred method.
Eternal Orb: Introduced sometime last ladder, this useful and rare thing creates an snapshot of an item that can be restored later. So I can use an eternal on an item, change its colors/sockets/mods in all the ways I just described, and then erase all my fuckups by restoring my imprint. Makes using exalted orbs much less of a risk, since if your Nth mod sucks you don’t have to scour the item anymore, you can always keep your N-1 perfect mods by restoring your imprint. Worth 2-3 exalted orbs, which if you’re keeping track is roughly 234143514363246 Alteration Orbs (not really but might as well be).
Mirror of Kalandra:The incredibly rare Mirror (which you can find doubling as the PoE logo) creates a mirrored copy of an item. Legit duping, basically, although the item cannot be further modified by any orbs so the colors/sockets/mods better be exactly what you want before you use it. Not that you’d ever use it though, since they sell for 80+ exalts (at least in standard).

FINAL CAVEAT: none of the values I quoted here are firm, it’s just meant to give a rough idea. I’m sure all the prices are mixed up anyways with the new ladder seasons, so this is just meant to roughly tier things.

Helpful Info
  • Useful Commands:
      /oos - Forces the server to resync with your client (useful for Melee)
      /help - shows you a list of all commands
      /invite <character>
      /online - list the number of players currently online in the whole game, not just the realm or league
      /ladder - shows the top ten places in the current ladder
      /destroy - destroys the item on the cursor
      /deaths - displays the amount of times the current character has died
      /played - displays time played on the current character
      /age - displays how long ago the current character was created
      /itemlevel - displays the level of the item on the cursor
      /debug - displays information about the current characters level/position - this is useful for game developers
      /whois <character>
      /ignore and /squelch <character> - adds the account to your ignore list so you don't see their chat messages
      /unignore and /unsquelch <character> - removes the account from your ignore list
      /kick <character> - kicks a character from a party, you can kick yourself to leave
      /party_description <description> - change the party description, only if you're party leader
  • Act 2 Bandit Quest Rewards:
      Side with Kraityn: Located in Broken Bridge (Old Fields → Crossroads)
      NORMAL: Permanent +8% all elemental resistances except Chaos.
      CRUEL: Permanent +4% Attack Speed.
      MERCILESS: Permanent +1 Maximum Frenzy Charge.

Side with Alira: Located in The Western Forest (River Crossings → Dark Forest)
      NORMAL: Permanent +30 MP.
      CRUEL: Permanent +4% Cast Speed.
      MERCILESS: Permanent +1 Maximum Power Charge.

Side with Oak: Located in Pools and Streams (River Crossings → Vaal Ruins Level 1. Requires completion of The Weaver's Needle and Delving into Sin quests)
      NORMAL: Permanent +40 HP.
      CRUEL: Permanent +18% Physical Damage.
      MERCILESS: Permanent +1 Maximum Endurance Charge.

Kill all the Bandits: +1 free passive skill point.
  • CTRL+Click an instance entrance to create a new instance.
  • F1 - Toggle FPS and Ping graphs

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The difference between this game a few months ago and now is staggering. If you've heard bad things about this game in the past, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot when open beta hits.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah they have really made a lot of improvements that I have seen. Can't wait until tomorrow so I can actually start playing for real.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you adore shitloads of customization, Diablo 2, and classless systems then this game is for you! The game looks and plays so much like a high definition D2 it's not even funny.

I played it like 3 months back when it had an open weekend, and I was floored by how much potential for silly and viable builds there were. I can't even imagine how much better it's become since then.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 22, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I think the best thing that can be shown to someone wondering what all the fuss is about is this developer interview/gameplay livestream that Gamespot did:
http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/357955960 - It begins at 5 minutes 40, and covers just about everything of note, from what they're adding at beta launch, their plans for 1.0 and beyond, the logic behind all the skill systems and balance mechanics and a general peek at some of the Act 3 content, which looks great and really grimdark.

Don't be put off by the complexity of the skill grid. It looks enormous, but with each level you only really have 3-4 choices. It's just that each choice has longer-term effects. It's the custom spell system that'll be the really complex part.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Is that guy shooting chain lightning with pelvic thrusts?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Do skills still require really specific weapon types, like skill x requires curved swords and skill y requires hammers etc.? That poo poo was annoying and was enough to make me quit. Just let me use whatever I want.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I am planning on a frost AOE/snare type build but I've never played the game yet, which class should I pick?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Do skills still require really specific weapon types, like skill x requires curved swords and skill y requires hammers etc.? That poo poo was annoying and was enough to make me quit. Just let me use whatever I want.

Erm, yes? Same as in every other game in the genre, period. The alternative is being to shoot arrows out of a hammer, or do heavy overhead strikes with a bow, which would look dumb.

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I am planning on a frost AOE/snare type build but I've never played the game yet, which class should I pick?

The classes aren't really 'classes', so much as they're starting kits that determine the first few skill gems you're given, and where on the passive grid you begin. There is literally nothing bound to any singular class. You could spec a Witch into a pseudo-Marauder if you wanted. That said, if you want traps and spells, the Shadow is Dex/Int.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dominic White posted:

The classes aren't really 'classes', so much as they're starting kits that determine the first few skill gems you're given, and where on the passive grid you begin. There is literally nothing bound to any singular class. You could spec a Witch into a pseudo-Marauder if you wanted. That said, if you want traps and spells, the Shadow is Dex/Int.

Actually I believe the gems you are offered as quest rewards are determined by your class throughout the entire game, even into the hardest difficulties.

Speaking of gems, are there any useful recipes that make use of spares you have laying around?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Erm, yes? Same as in every other game in the genre, period. The alternative is being to shoot arrows out of a hammer, or do heavy overhead strikes with a bow, which would look dumb.

Plenty of games have simplified it to just "This can only be done with melee/This can only be done with ranged," which is how it should be done. loving annoying to have an amazing sword and the game goes "Oh you can only do this skill with a spiked mace."

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I liked Diablo 2 enough for one playthrough and I guess PoE's improvements upon D3 are so apparent that they don't even need to be listed, so I'm waiting for tomorrow with intrepidity!

I kind of got burned with Guild Wars 2 having two huge problems (destructive wardrobe system and WoW preempting cross-server leveling zones that GW2 needed more, for the record) since its open beta that are only now becoming undeniable problems, so here's hoping Path of Exile developers are more receptive to feedback!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is awesome as gently caress. I've been playing it since you could buy your way into the beta, and it's so good. Can't wait to uninstall Diablo 3 tomorrow and be done with it.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Dominic White posted:

A class is bound to their starting point on the skill tree.

Creeperbear
Mar 15, 2010
Hey guys, so I played this game for a bit WAY back in closed beta, but it felt really unfinished. I am gonna be coming back to it now for open beta, from what I've seen the game has really come a long way.

What I'd like to know is, where can I find a good resource listing some basic viable cookie cutter builds for each class? The PoE forums seem to have a lot of contradictory information, and without first hand experience I can't really tell who knows what they are talking about. One of the problems I had last time was levelling up a totally sweet 2h glass cannon maurader that owned everything until merciless difficulty, where he became completely useless, dying instantly with no respec possible. I'd like to have some kind of plan for levelling.

Maybe someone who has experience with the game could list a few partial builds, just the essentials for each class and we could add it to the OP to sort of reduce the overwhelming first impression of the passive tree?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Skyl3lazer posted:

The difference between this game a few months ago and now is staggering. If you've heard bad things about this game in the past, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot when open beta hits.

Is the inventory still way too small? I remember not being able to pick up more than a dozen items before having to go back to base.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Are there skills that let you have pets? I want a horde of pets

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Creeperbear posted:

Hey guys, so I played this game for a bit WAY back in closed beta, but it felt really unfinished. I am gonna be coming back to it now for open beta, from what I've seen the game has really come a long way.

What I'd like to know is, where can I find a good resource listing some basic viable cookie cutter builds for each class? The PoE forums seem to have a lot of contradictory information, and without first hand experience I can't really tell who knows what they are talking about. One of the problems I had last time was levelling up a totally sweet 2h glass cannon maurader that owned everything until merciless difficulty, where he became completely useless, dying instantly with no respec possible. I'd like to have some kind of plan for levelling.

Maybe someone who has experience with the game could list a few partial builds, just the essentials for each class and we could add it to the OP to sort of reduce the overwhelming first impression of the passive tree?

The problem with that is there are some significant changes to the skill tree coming so any builds that might work for closed beta either flat out won't work or will be changed by varying degrees. Two examples would be Chaos Innoculation and Spell Totem builds.

Meat Recital posted:

Is the inventory still way too small? I remember not being able to pick up more than a dozen items before having to go back to base.

The solution is to not pick up items that you don't need. Remember that you don't need to pick up every item to sell because you're not getting gold for it.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 22, 2013

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Creeperbear posted:

Yeah like Stokes said there's really no reason to do too much build stuff right now because a lot of the major traits are going to be changing, some of them quite a bit. Best thing is to just either wait until tomorrow and check out the passive tree or just try and take what you need as you go along.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Ahhpple posted:

A class is bound to their starting point on the skill tree.

Classes also start with different stats.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Definitely looking forward to OB. Been a huge fan of the CB, and glad I supported them. Looking a lot forward to trying my really weird off-kilter Fist Shadow with the high health and the Life Leech out the rear end in a more proper way. (I have a pretty default Duelist I use for a more 'common' build set.)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Most of the popular Closed Beta builds will need to be overhauled or are rendered obsolete due to the major skill changes in Open Beta.

General rule of thumb is to build defensively. According to people in the Open Beta, the difficulty has been significantly increased.

Danith posted:

Some closed beta builds were able to fill the entire screen with summons. :v:

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Danith posted:

Yeah there's Zombies, skeletons and spectres, there's a lot of pet nodes around the witches starting area that will increase the amount of summons you can have out as well as their attack and such. Zombies are made from dead bodies and follow you around, skeletons are summoned in 2's but just stand and fight and will not follow you, and spectres take on the stats of whatever body you summon it from.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Gyoru posted:

General rule of thumb is to build defensively. According to people in the Open Beta, the difficulty has been significantly increased.

Well that's a bummer because every time they've increased the difficulty they've done it via adding more enemies that stunlock you. :smith:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

kojicolnair posted:

Yeah there's Zombies, skeletons and spectres, there's a lot of pet nodes around the witches starting area that will increase the amount of summons you can have out as well as their attack and such. Zombies are made from dead bodies and follow you around, skeletons are summoned in 2's but just stand and fight and will not follow you, and spectres take on the stats of whatever body you summon it from.

And you can do fun things like link Summon Skeleton to the support Totem, which makes you summon a Totem that casts Summon Skeleton repeatedly. Good way to piss off other people in your party.

Also, there are cosmetic pets, like the Kiwi and such, that you can just have around that don't do anything. Make sure to have those out too so that nobody else can ever target what they want to.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I remember taking a look at this a while ago, and sort of forgetting about it. It looks really cool and I plan to follow it a bit more closely now.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One big thing that people should keep in mind is that Path of Exile is largely aimed at people who have played and ideally beaten at least one ARPG before. It's designed to be a little slower, a little tougher and a little less overtly flashy than other games in the genre, like an expanded version of the original Diablo, rather than an explosionfest like Torchlight 2.

I personally really like it, but some folks have jumped in, gotten their asses kicked and bounced straight off it.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005
One of the forum denizens on the PoE site made a GGG Tracker for their forum posts:
http://www.gggtracker.com/

freeb0rn fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 22, 2013

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
I'm really looking forward to the open beta even though I've only been playing the closed beta since last week when I finally got accepted into it. I had tried the free weekends previously, but the game never really grabbed me until I decided to try out something other than melee to start. I've found that for me casters help with the early game tedium due to their mana regen and aoe spells. I think this past week I've tried close to 10 builds through act 1, with taking roughly half of those to the next difficulty, and I still can't decide what I'll be creating for open beta. Those characters did help me understand the passive tree a lot better though, and I'm eager to try creating a fresh build once the open beta passive tree and patch notes are posted.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Ugh, I hate their downloader so much, is there a different way of getting the game? A .torrent or something?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

giZm posted:

Ugh, I hate their downloader so much, is there a different way of getting the game? A .torrent or something?

What problem did you have? It worked for me right away

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Skyl3lazer posted:

What problem did you have? It worked for me right away
Speeds between 0b/sec and 200kb/sec, keeps claiming that it's done, while in fact it is not. Dirty, filthy liar game! :argh:

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I heard a lot of issues with the closed beta were some stiff looking combat animations and that fighting in general didn't feel very meaty. The trailer definitely doesn't look like that's the case, I'll definitely be eager to give this a go soon.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Weird, I downloaded it like a few days ago and got constant 5mb/s which is insane for my internet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How big is tomorrows patch going to be?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Tried it today and it really feels like everything I wanted Diablo 3 to be.

Quick question: Do you still get the bonuses from "one-hand melee" passives if you're dual-wielding?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mr.48 posted:

Tried it today and it really feels like everything I wanted Diablo 3 to be.

Quick question: Do you still get the bonuses from "one-hand melee" passives if you're dual-wielding?

Yup.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

One big thing that people should keep in mind is that Path of Exile is largely aimed at people who have played and ideally beaten at least one ARPG before. It's designed to be a little slower, a little tougher and a little less overtly flashy than other games in the genre, like an expanded version of the original Diablo, rather than an explosionfest like Torchlight 2.

I personally really like it, but some folks have jumped in, gotten their asses kicked and bounced straight off it.

Don't let this scare you off if you wern't a huge Diablo 2 fan though. I've never finished Normal on D2 but I still really enjoy this game.

Who's trying out a new build for the open beta? I've been thinking of trying some sort of melee ranger, using either a weapon+sheild or a 2 handed weapon. Anyone tried something like that themselves? I'll probably fail miserably but it may be fun.

a glitch fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 22, 2013

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Eggn0g posted:

Don't let this scare you off if you wern't a huge Diablo 2 fan though. I've never finished Normal on D2 but I still really enjoy this game.

Who's trying out a new build for the open beta? I've been thinking of trying some sort of melee ranger, using either a weapon+sheild or a 2 handed weapon. Anyone tried something like that themselves? I'll probably fail miserably but it may be fun.

I have a bow Ranger in closed beta and just thought of starting a melee one yesterday, so I don't have much experience with it. That said this build is probably a good start for a melee Ranger. I left out a bunch of offensive nodes so just pick and choose the 1h/shield or 2h ones that are along the way to all the health nodes. Make sure to get into the Duelist health circle through the weapon nodes you plan to use. It might also be worth it to go to the health and evasion nodes to the left of the Ranger starting area.

Ahhpple fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I'm thinking a totem Templar. I never did get far enough in CB to play around with them, and the updated totem passive sounds interesting. Maybe something like a skeleton totem, chain lightning totem, couple auras, and curses (I'll be playing with at least one other guy, so I think it'll work out)

• Locked thread