Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also they can actually do a crossover with SMT. As opposed to Game of Thrones which would be literally impossible for them to get the rights to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
This news seriously has me salivating. In Devil Survivor one of the best parts was getting to the end game and having a dude who reflected two elements, immune to a third, and completely ignored physical defenses. Also one who could attack seven times in one turn. This is, ironically enough, also pretty much the end-game of Fire Emblem. :allears:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Hey, it's still Intelligent Systems. As far as I know, they haven't made any outright bad games. Depends on how you classify Thracia 776...?

Though if the IS guys spend too much time talking with the sadists at Atlus, players will weep bitter tears.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Iceclaw posted:

Because what there is to cross over? It's the same thing already: swordfights, characters die a lot, dragons and incest.

You forgot pedophilia.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

booksnake posted:

Hey, it's still Intelligent Systems. As far as I know, they haven't made any outright bad games. Depends on how you classify Thracia 776...?

Though if the IS guys spend too much time talking with the sadists at Atlus, players will weep bitter tears.

"Hey guys Chapter 15 is destroying me how do you deal with the bullshit of a teleport maze and trap floors while the enemy has 2 siege demons with megido?"

Along this line I'm hoping its still mostly a fire emblem game but with demons instead of weapons.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Well, dammit. If this isn't an elaborate prank, I'm going to have to get a WiiU.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

booksnake posted:

Thracia is a great game, even though it hates you and your family. :colbert:

So, if I'm reading this right, you can literally keep playing Awakening after finishing the main storyline? (Think Digimon World/FE8).

Dec 26, 2012

booksnake posted:

Thracia isn't a bad game by most discerning standards, even if it did have a few dodgy design decisions.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

So, if I'm reading this right, you can literally keep playing Awakening after finishing the main storyline? (Think Digimon World/FE8).

It kicks you back until before you beat the final chapter, apperantly.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

01011001 posted:

Thracia isn't a bad game by most discerning standards, even if it did have a few dodgy design decisions.

So did FE6, FE8, and FE11. And none of those are strictly bad games either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FE4, too. FE9 in a couple of ways as well. Really the only FE game I can't say had a few dodgy design decisions was 7.

EDIT: Well, Karla in general, but besides her.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 23, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Pomp posted:

Of all the things to crossover with a lightly political medieval strategy game, why not Game of Thrones or some poo poo?

Yeah, that's something Nintendo wants associated with their brand.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

FE4, too. FE9 in a couple of ways as well. Really the only FE game I can't say had a few dodgy design decisions was 7.

That gaiden where you have to kill Kishuna in a turn. Also the ten bajillion enemy Monks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Endorph posted:

19xx. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Okay fair enough on both counts but those are pretty minor compared to stuff like FE4's maps that seem designed to hate both unmounted characters and mounted characters.

Dec 26, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

So did FE6, FE8, and FE11. And none of those are strictly bad games either.

Yeah, but I'd argue that Thracia's are more, shall we say, glaring as far as normal progress through the game. In spite of this Thracia's probably one of my favorites in the series.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Momomo posted:

That gaiden where you have to kill Kishuna in a turn. Also the ten bajillion enemy Monks.

Losing Battle Before Dawn in HHM before you can actually swing a weapon is also crappy design. :v: Who am I kidding, it was all intentional.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

neongrey posted:

Yeah, that's something Nintendo wants associated with their brand.

Yeah, who'd want to be associated with Game of Thrones when you can have a game with a penis-chariot-monster?

Mara-chan :syoon:

For the record though, I agree with you. Mostly because I doubt stuff like Mara will be in this crossover.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
To be honest, it's not as if Fire Emblem didn't have some seriously hosed up situations itself, so it's not that far off.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Alacron posted:

Mara-chan :syoon:

Wow, that. That sure is a penis.

Resisting buying a WiiU is becoming more and more challening, but I just don't have money to blow :(.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Iceclaw posted:

To be honest, it's not as if Fire Emblem didn't have some seriously hosed up situations itself, so it's not that far off.

Were any as hosed up as SENTIENT CHARIOT PENIS MONSTER? Because I don't think they were as hosed up as SENTIENT CHARIOT PENIS MONSTER.

For supports, they could go the tragic route. Mara is actually quite intelligent and wants to be friends, but everyone is afraid of it because OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISTHAT. Except for Hector. Hector fears nothing, so he's Mara's only true friend.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

Were any as hosed up as SENTIENT CHARIOT PENIS MONSTER? Because I don't think they were as hosed up as SENTIENT CHARIOT PENIS MONSTER.

For supports, they could go the tragic route. Mara is actually quite intelligent and wants to be friends, but everyone is afraid of it because OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISTHAT. Except for Hector. Hector fears nothing, so he's Mara's only true friend.

There's also another reason, but you have to ask Eliwood for that. :nyoron:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Alacron posted:

A thing named Mara.

Oh wow. Please tell me it behaves like a female character to add extra some extra :wtc:.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Oh wow. Please tell me it behaves like a female character to add extra some extra :wtc:.

Well, last game I played that it actually had lines in (as a bonus boss) it's dialogue consisted almost entirely of inneundos and forcing words like "thrust" and "penetrate" wherever it could.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

For as much as Mara gets wheeled out though it's not like he's ever integral or even relevant to any SMT's plot. And for as questionable as FE4 got at its most incestuous*, it was never quite so BOY HOWDY THAT BROTHER AND SISTER SURE ARE GRAPHICALLY loving NOW LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT VIRGINITY.

*And aside from like a couple corner cases, it's pretty much always cousins which is something I'm not really going to bat an eyelash about in depictions of medieval nobility.

Azran posted:

It's not a character at all, it's basically a pokemon. It gets like a couple lines in a sidequest in one game and it's not even in chariot-riding penis monster form at that point.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

neongrey posted:

For as much as Mara gets wheeled out though it's not like he's ever integral or even relevant to any SMT's plot. And for as questionable as FE4 got at its most incestuous*, it was never quite so BOY HOWDY THAT BROTHER AND SISTER SURE ARE GRAPHICALLY loving NOW LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT VIRGINITY.

*And aside from like a couple corner cases, it's pretty much always cousins which is something I'm not really going to bat an eyelash about in depictions of medieval nobility.

People exaggerate the hell out of FE and incest. It exists in FE4, but it's not like it's a series tradition. People also like to say it happens in FE6 and 8, but those are people reading way too much into sibling love. The only time post FE4 that incest has been a thing was FE7 with Priscilla, and even then it's only her being really creepy. Even Raven is weirded out by it.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
If you have to answer the question 'how much incest is there in this series?' with 'only a little' you have set yourself apart from 99.9% of vidyagames, hope this helps.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Considering it's treated as very creepy in both of the times it appears, and not fetishised at all lilke you seem to imply, why is it more of a problem than depicting murder or torture, both things vidyagame have in spade?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

The only time it's even noticable is, in a game never released in English, it's set up by evil people as a bad thing they have done, largely without the knowledge of those involved.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Francis posted:

If you have to answer the question 'how much incest is there in this series?' with 'only a little' you have set yourself apart from 99.9% of vidyagames, hope this helps.

It does help, thank you for your input.

Now let's please try to drop incest talk because loving seriously.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Has there been any confirmation/deconfirmation that they'll bring the DLC of Japan-only characters (IE: Characters from 2, 4, 5, and 6, 12) over to America? There's not much/any dialogue, so it's not like translating would be a problem, and I don't see why they wouldn't, but I've seen companies make weirder decisions.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Has there been any confirmation/deconfirmation that they'll bring the DLC of Japan-only characters (IE: Characters from 2, 4, 5, and 6, 12) over to America? There's not much/any dialogue, so it's not like translating would be a problem, and I don't see why they wouldn't, but I've seen companies make weirder decisions.

If we don't get Draken-Roy I'm gonna be so non-plussed!

ParadoxEngima
Mar 16, 2012
No Roy? seriously Roy was my Favorite. I wonder if its worth getting the JP version?

ParadoxEngima fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 23, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

They've included the weapons and given the characters names, so it's pretty much confirmed. And seriously it made them five millers only in Japan I don't think they'll skip out on it.

Seriously people stop fretting about it, we're getting it. 100%.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
What's stop them before? Remember 'who the gently caress is Marth/Roy' from Melee?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ParadoxEngima posted:

No Roy? seriously I Roy was my Favorite. I wonder if its worth getting the JP version?
No no I wasn't saying they WOULDN'T, I was just wondering if they would. They probably will.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

This is the big game Nintendo used to show off its ability to have DLC. I really don't think they'd miss the chance to charge people more money. Though, the character DLCs themselves look... well, awful to be honest. I don't want to pay four bucks for a badly recolored Mercenary named Roy.

ParadoxEngima
Mar 16, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Well, dammit. If this isn't an elaborate prank, I'm going to have to get a WiiU.

If its true... they just sold me 2

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Do skill scrolls exist at all in Awakening or are skills gained entirely through reclassing around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do skill scrolls exist at all in Awakening or are skills gained entirely through reclassing around?

Some of the DLC maps (Micaiah, Celice, Lyn, and Ike) give you a skill scroll each time you beat them. Other than that, it's reclassing only.

• Locked thread