Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You know, I don't really associate being a tomboy with this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just noticed: Are those spikes on the bottom of her bustle? Why!? It just seems like she asking to stick one in her calf. Does she need to use her dress as a tent?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Iron Rose posted:

She's an "anime tomboy".

Not being super demure is enough for Japan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

She has pants on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

She's an "anime tomboy".

Not being super demure is enough for Japan.
She's actually pretty tomboyish in personality going by the demo.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
When people say "tomboyish" in a medieval game, I think of Arya Stark. No Liz, you aren't as cool as her. :colbert:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Lotish posted:

I just noticed: Are those spikes on the bottom of her bustle? Why!? It just seems like she asking to stick one in her calf. Does she need to use her dress as a tent?

Have you seen what she promotes to? Lissa is just too badass to worry about something like that.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Tomboys in anime (or most fiction really) tend to be pretty generic male archetypes that are female. Lisse is very girly, but with boyish interests and pursuits. I wouldn't say it's more realistic, exactly, but it's kind of interesting as long as it doesn't fall into the 'genki girl' trope down the line.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Endorph posted:

The only one that really confuses me is how we went from Tiamo to Cordelia.

I mean Cordelia is a nice enough name but what.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's a bit of a bizarre leap I agree.

But a good name so sure why not. :shobon:

It might be coincidence, but Cordelia is a Shakespeare character (King Lear) who is unable to put her love into words. It works for her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

It might be coincidence, but Cordelia is a Shakespeare character (King Lear) who is unable to put her love into words. It works for her.
Yeah, thinking about it that actually works ridiculously well. Will this localization team ever not be amazing?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yeah, thinking about it that actually works ridiculously well. Will this localization team ever not be amazing?

Sucks how you can't have her marry Chrom at all. Poor Cordelia.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So how are those cutscenes animated? Some sort of celshading? The movements don't look hand drawn but if it's 3D they're using some unusually pretty painterly overlays...

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 25, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

anti_strunt posted:

So how are those cutscenes animated? Some sort of celshading? The movements don't look hand drawn but if it's 3D they're using some unusually pretty painterly overlays...

They're cel-shaded, yes. There are some REALLY good cel-shadings being done now. Check out the recently release Ni no Kuni or Valkyria Chronicles for more examples.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I just had a flashback to the CG cutscenes in Path of Radiance and the horrendous voice acting. I assume the VA in Awakening is better than that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Slate Action posted:

I just had a flashback to the CG cutscenes in Path of Radiance and the horrendous voice acting. I assume the VA in Awakening is better than that.

Yes, but you'll probably want to turn it off eventually.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Slate Action posted:

Have you not watched any clips? Yeah, it's good. Chrom sounds like Troy Baker, but apparently he's not? Either way, it's much, much better then RD and PoR.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Cake Attack posted:

Have you not watched any clips? Yeah, it's good. Chrom sounds like Troy Baker, but apparently he's not? Either way, it's much, much better then RD and PoR.

I've watched a tiny bit of the intro cutscene and read a bunch of stuff from Serenes Forest (mostly stats, item lists, etc.) but that's about it. Good to hear that they improved the VA work.

Just plunked down the money for a 3DS XL, now I'm committed :unsmigghh:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Endorph posted:

:allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

It's Roger Craig Smith, no seriously listen to Chris from RE5, they are the same dude. I didn't hear Troy Baker myself, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lotish posted:

Stuff like this is why I'm not overly fond of the art direction. Just a lot of really stupid, Nomura-esque pointless fobs and poo poo on outfits.

Like the fact that Frederick appears to be wearing some kind of tux/formal suit underneath his armor? And Chrom's pants.

On an unrelated note, Walhart is a pretty solid localization. I imagine it's meant to evoke a German accent.

Edit: And while we're on the topic of ridiculous looking outfits, pretty much everything related to Cherche

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 25, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

That is awesome! Very awesome!

Gangrel

"Do not try to kill ALL the soldiers, my dear. We'll need a few for the welcoming party." I'm going to like this guy. :allears:

On an unrelated note, Walhart is a pretty solid localization. I imagine it's meant to evoke a German accent.

Walhart is one of the localized names that I really like, along with Grima!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
E: I'm stupid nevermind.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Gangrel's pose and look reminds me of the unholy spawn of Voldo and Ganondorf. I'm okay with this!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Stuff like this is why I'm not overly fond of the art direction. Just a lot of really stupid, Nomura-esque pointless fobs and poo poo on outfits.

Like the fact that Frederick appears to be wearing some kind of tux/formal suit underneath his armor? And Chrom's pants.

I would agree that the character designs for this game aren't very good, but I will not have anyone dissing Frederick's suit. He's just a very professional soldier, ok?

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Slaughtering people while not wearing a suit? How uncivilized.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Beat Lunatic again without losing anyone. Apparently I've already sunk nearly five hours into this demo.

Come on February 4th :ohdear:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cordelia, yeah, I guess I'll get used to that, especially since I'll always have her in my army and she and the Avatar will have a million beautiful babies together and

Terper fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 25, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

And Cordelia, yeah, I guess I'll get used to that, especially since I'll always have her in my army and she and the Avatar will have a million beautiful babies together and
Be sure to keep us posted about the fanfic!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Still chuckling at the fact that they really have forgotten the fact that http://www.fire-emblem.com/ exists :v:

Also a few of those name-changes are surprising and probably not what I would have done working on the project myself, but there's nothing wrong with them.

The one thing I AM going to complain about, having looked at "Say'ri"'s page is that they seem to have gone nuts with the apostrophes for everything concerning the land she and Lonqu are from. I hate hate hate HATE when people do that because that isn't really the correct use of an apostrophe and looks very contrived (even if, in this case, I think I see why they did it). It's a personal complaint, but a significant and distracting one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, they really love the apostrophe there and I think there would have been better ways to handle that. Every character from there has one in their name and it's just weird to look at, weird to type, weird to try and say, and weird in general.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm just going to pronounce all the apostrophes as glottal stops.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Some guy just posted a video of Avatar and Sully S Support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJnWhHhB7s

Sully's Confession Scene... :allears:

I am definitely getting all S Supports now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Be sure to keep us posted about the fanfic!

You'll all have made several different ones by the time we filthy Europeans get it. :negative:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

If you didn't love Greil's voice acting in FE9 I don't even want to associate with you.
what accent is that

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Folt The Bolt posted:

Some guy just posted a video of Avatar and Sully S Support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJnWhHhB7s

Sully's Confession Scene... :allears:

I am definitely getting all S Supports now.

Can you get more than one S support per character per playthrough, or would I have to play the game a billion times to see all the S rank supports? I only ask because I remember in FE7 (the only one I have a ton of experience with) you could only have one A support per character.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

The Fisher King posted:

Can you get more than one S support per character per playthrough, or would I have to play the game a billion times to see all the S rank supports? I only ask because I remember in FE7 (the only one I have a ton of experience with) you could only have one A support per character.

You can only have one S support and marriage, but you can have as many A supports as you want.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Fisher King posted:

You could make a savefile where you're at A with every available marriage candidate, then S rank one of them, reload, then do that for all the characters.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Terper posted:

You could make a savefile where you're at A with every available marriage candidate, then S rank one of them, reload, then do that for all the characters.

That....sounds like a huge pain. I think I'll just play through the game a bunch, as it seems to have good replay anyway.

Veev posted:

You can only have one S support and marriage, but you can have as many A supports as you want.

I'm actually relieved to hear this. Looking at the possible support pairings on the Wiki, more than one S rank could would lead to some seriously hosed up pairings.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

If you didn't love Greil's voice acting in FE9 I don't even want to associate with you.
what accent is that
I had an accent once...

But I...

Threw it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

I don't get why people are more offended by Lissa's skirt than the toilet/rocket armor other characters like Sully and Kellam are wearing. It's based on a thing that actually exists and at least makes some small degree of sense for "armor a magical healer in a fantasy army might use." It's a perfectly valid design, and my only real problem with it is how bizarrely scrawny her legs are.

Also the Battle Cleric outfit upgrade uses the same rough thing and looks pretty badass.

• Locked thread