Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tired Moritz posted:

Ar Tonelico is the ultimate guilty pleasure.
It's such an interesting and filled out world, but it's so pandering to the nerds.

If I didn't like 3 is there a chance I'd like 1 or 2? The weird pervyness was just too much for me. Undressing to power up... really? Did they tone it up as the series progressed or was it always like that?

I know they changed the combat system for the 3rd one, and the world was pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

If I didn't like 3 is there a chance I'd like 1 or 2? The weird pervyness was just too much for me. Undressing to power up... really? Did they tone it up as the series progressed or was it always like that?

3 is considered to be flat-out the worst. The other games did absolutely everything better, except for the fact that 3 had marginally better music than 1. Two is considered the best, and has the best of everything. The first had the most hilariously exploitable battle system, in a series full of them, but had a pretty awful MC.

Really, from where you are, there's nowhere to go but up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All three games are not very good.

They're all incredibly creepy. Like incredibly incredibly creepy. Anything involving the crystals comes across as terrible at the best of games and absolutely horrifying at the worst.

2 has the best overall gameplay but the translation is literally incoherent. They did such a bad job translating it that the publisher had to come out and apologize for it and swear never to do it again. The gameplay is not in a million years good enough to put up with all the creepy poo poo.

In short, don't bother with any of them.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

CottonWolf posted:

They're not even the best battle themes in a game scored by Sakuraba!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWUtt__E-4

And Saturos' theme is pretty drat good too.

(This might be nostalgia talking.)

It's misplaced nostalgia talking.

If we're doing other games, this song is just fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68EOldxPjU
Radiata stories has a great soundtrack. ([url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHej43S_OMI]my fave) tri-Ace's music department is generally pretty baller. I'm like 90% sure they actually did the music for XIII-2.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

CottonWolf posted:

I know they changed the combat system for the 3rd one, and the world was pretty interesting.

I loved 2, but I have a ridiculous high tolerance to stupid anime poo poo.
You should just read an Let's Play and see if you can tolerate the content.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

S-Alpha posted:

Oh, yeah, it's definitely a definitive track for the series, and it's great. However, I prefer the WA2 opening song because, despite my love for spaghetti western whistling themes, a juicy wailing trumpet center wrapped up by a delicious acoustic guitar and brass accoutrement just beats it hands down for me.

Goddamn that series has great music.

Wild Arms has always been one of my favorite RPG series because of the music and the setting. While I like the first game and Alter Code F the best, I think the third one is where the game really shined with its concept of a wild west themed setting.

As for Wild Arms 2, I'm not sure whether I like the first disc's opening or the second one's opening better.

In the world of FFXII, I'd forgotten how you can go places you really shouldn't be able to by defeating the Ring Wyrm as soon as possible, Basch with the Icebrand is tearing up enemies that would normally be impossible to take on at this point.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Holy poo poo. I think i'm gonna cry.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Playing Ni No Kuni is making me actually miss the teammate AI from 13/13-2 :sigh:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
So does everyone hate FF ATB?

I kind of like it but I seem to be in the very small minority there.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ross posted:

So does everyone hate FF ATB?

I kind of like it but I seem to be in the very small minority there.

I hate it and I wish they'd have done something cooler with it all at the same time

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

victrix posted:

I hate it and I wish they'd have done something cooler with it all at the same time

Yeah with some small tweaks I think it could be really great, which is unfortunate.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ross posted:

Yeah with some small tweaks I think it could be really great, which is unfortunate.

A summary of SE's recent output in one line

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
This is a weird question, but in FF9 when you advance disks, does the game require you to use previous disks to return to other areas for side quests? I know other games did and it's been a very long time since I last played 9. I'm replaying it using an android ps1 emulator and I want to be able to delete the giant rom files for each disk as I'm done with them to conserve memory space on my phone.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This is a weird question, but in FF9 when you advance disks, does the game require you to use previous disks to return to other areas for side quests? I know other games did and it's been a very long time since I last played 9. I'm replaying it using an android ps1 emulator and I want to be able to delete the giant rom files for each disk as I'm done with them to conserve memory space on my phone.

Last time I played FF9 it was also using an emulator and I never had to switch back to a previous disk file to do anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No, previous discs are never reused.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nope, none of the FF games for PSX games ever require you to use a previous disc. In fact, the discs all have identical game data on them, the only difference is the FMVs.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone, good to know. I forgot how good and pretty ff9 is after all these years. I also forgot how incredibly SLLOOOWWW the atb is until you get autohaste.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Thanks everyone, good to know. I forgot how good and pretty ff9 is after all these years. I also forgot how incredibly SLLOOOWWW the atb is until you get autohaste.

FF9's ATB is one of those things that I've played the game so much and so many times over that I got used to it. It doesn't bother me anymore.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Found something interesting:

Yoshinori Kitase on Motomu Toriyama's contribution to Final Fantasy VII posted:

The initial plan was the player to not spend too much time in Midgar before reaching the world map. They would bomb the Mako Reactor and engage in some other minor events and then they'd escape from Midgar. However, Motomu Toriyama, who was in charge of the Midgar part of the game, kept adding and adding. He added so much content and event scenes to the Midgar part of the game. Before I knew it, it was if an entire game was taking place in Midgar before the player had even reached the world map for the first time.

I have very little respect for Motomu Toriyama but its interesting that he was responsible for the best part (the best part?) of Final Fantasy VII.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Eggie posted:

I have very little respect for Motomu Toriyama but its interesting that he was responsible for the best part (the best part?) of Final Fantasy VII.

Thanks for the cross-dressing and burly men molestation, Toriyama. Really made VII for me as a kid! :thumbsup:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

Thanks for the cross-dressing and burly men molestation, Toriyama. Really made VII for me as a kid! :thumbsup:
This, but without the implied sarcasm.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If square were to make that scene today, it would be a 15 minute cutscene and it would be constantly flashbacked to over the course of the game.

That day...I wore a dress :emo:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

WendigoJohnson posted:

If square were to make that scene today, it would be a 15 minute cutscene and it would be constantly flashbacked to over the course of the game.

That day...I wore a dress :emo:

It would probably not even be in the game or just be a cut to black. Can't risk losing that T rating! Think of the children!

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Continuing to play FF13... Got to the part where snow + hope meet up.

Holy god is this combat system completely loving awful beyond all reason.

I'm liking the world, art, and characters pretty well, so I rather want to see what happens with the story, but all these drat combats. Nothing but L1 + auto attack. Boss fights are just long and boring.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Cyclomatic posted:

I'm liking the world, art, and characters pretty well, so I rather want to see what happens with the story, but all these drat combats. Nothing but L1 + auto attack. Boss fights are just long and boring.

To be frank, the combat system and the rest of the game are linear as all hell until about 30 hours in. Once you're given freedom of the battle system/crystarium, then it really tests your ability to manage your party in every single fight afterwards.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The battle system of FF13 was really good I thought. At the start it is very streamlined, but after you get access to the Crystarium a bunch of options open up to you and it's pretty fun. Then again, I appreciate it when JRPG's have fast battle systems and FF13's is fast and visually stylish at the same time.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I've always been partial to FF3's final boss theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bsUctJ_iKQ

But for not-FF boss fights it's definitely this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsBtKmiVRhw

So how many jobs are actually in FF:Dimensions? Are there enough to play around with between the two parties?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LoudLoudNoise posted:

To be frank, the combat system and the rest of the game are linear as all hell until about 30 hours in. Once you're given freedom of the battle system/crystarium, then it really tests your ability to manage your party in every single fight afterwards.

Incidentally, about the time when the combat system really gets its wings is roughly the same time the story completely collapses.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bellmaker posted:

So how many jobs are actually in FF:Dimensions? Are there enough to play around with between the two parties?
I dunno, but lemme warn you: if you have an Android phone, there's a chance it'll have a "popping" problem with the audio. Nobody's really sure what causes it, but I'm among the affected.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I legitimately don't understand how you can enjoy FF13 without liking the combat. Like, pretty pictures can only get me so far, especially if I hated the thing that took up 50% of the time I was looking at those pictures

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Definitely. As great as FF13's scenery and art design is, it would not be enough to have kept me playing the game as much as I did if I did not enjoy the gameplay. The characters (Excluding Lightning and Sazh) and story are dumb. If the story was just basically "Lightning and Sazh the buddy cop game with awesome gameplay" then it would be one of my favorite FFs, but it is definitely up there as being one of the best combat systems, for sure.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cyclomatic posted:

Once you open up more of the Crystarium, the battle system expands entirely and becomes incredibly strategic and awesome. While it is easy, though, it's worth learning the ATB Refresh trick.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Bellmaker posted:

Seventeen Jobs (not including Jobless/Freelancer), seven shared between the Light and Dark Warriors and five exclusives for each party. The final Job for both groups is a straight upgrade to White or Black Mage, but other than that you have a fairly diverse mix of options. Just remember not to spread your JP too thin.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I'm actually really surprised by how much I'm enjoying Dimensions. I thought it'd be something I'd pick up and play for a bit in short bursts but I ended up playing about three hours straight after buying it. Story/Characters are pretty meh so far but the battle/job system is a blast.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

For me, Lightning was always the worst part of XIII's party. She is easily my least favorite main character in any FF game I've played.

What kept me playing XIII was a combination of the battle system, the pretty scenery and the interactions between the other characters. Sazh and Vanille were great together and I was really looking forward to Snow and Hope finally meeting again and that whole subplot coming to a head.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

Eggie posted:

Wow, so maybe Toriyama is Square's John Romero, and FF13 is his Daikatana. As a member of a team he makes great stuff, but once he gets to be a leader everything goes out of control.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

microwave casserole posted:

Wow, so maybe Toriyama is Square's John Romero, and FF13 is his Daikatana. As a member of a team he makes great stuff, but once he gets to be a leader everything goes out of control.

I guess that makes The Third Birthday his Daikatana 2 then.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

microwave casserole posted:

When I first read that about Toriyama, I think I said something like, "Then someone made the fry cook into head chef."

And now for a quote that kind of ticks me off:

Motomu Toriyama on his work directing Final Fantasy X posted:

The aim of Final Fantasy X was to create an interactive movie RPG. A game where the player could participate in it as if they're were watching a film. If the game was given a world map, it would have destroyed the pacing and flow of the narrative due to the player being able to go wherever they want at any time. When working on the event scenes, I made sure that they were not separated by long hours of gameplay. I wanted Final Fantasy X to be a game that prioritised the player caring about the story and characters rather than the gameplay and exploration.

I don't know if he's changed his design philosophy since this was first quoted (I going to assume he hasn't for a variety of reasons), but his focus on story and characters over gameplay is insulting, especially since he can't write a story to save his life and his character writing abilities are good but not great.

This quote would bug me a lot more if it weren't for the fact that I think Toriyama's two biggest games, Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XIII, have some of the best battles (what I consider the most important part of an RPG) in the franchise. So either Toriyama cares about gameplay more than he implies, or parts of the development team are competent enough to pick up the slack. I can imagine Toriyama walking into Square-Enix's office every morning ready to breath life into that gripping fantasy saga he has been concocting then looking over to the right to see battle programmers and menu designers and he has to remind himself that he's making a video game, not an anime.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
It should be said that when people say FF13's combat system "opens up and becomes more strategic" they really just mean that enemies become absurd sacks of HP and if you don't beat every battle in the first two minutes you're royally hosed. Also, trying to expand or alter your characters' abilities in any meaningful way beyond the clearly established paths they are intended for is punished with death.

FF13 sucks so loving much it'd almost be hilarious if it wasn't so goddamned painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ShadeofDante posted:

I'm actually really surprised by how much I'm enjoying Dimensions. I thought it'd be something I'd pick up and play for a bit in short bursts but I ended up playing about three hours straight after buying it. Story/Characters are pretty meh so far but the battle/job system is a blast.
Yeah, it's a pretty chill play. I'm just ignoring the story (which is easy enough to do, thank you quick text), fighting monsters, and JPing up. Only the text box parts look like they're from RPGMaker so far, and it's basically enjoyable. Kinda wish they would've let you choose between classic UDLR battle commands and the tapping you have to do, I like to play this kinda stuff lying down.

I do hope they put out a patch to fix the audio popping for Android versions, though.