Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Captain Invictus posted:

Great! Take your favorite minifig, and dip it in a pot of this. But the pearlescent gold figure idea is terrible and I'm glad it's turning out to be absolutely not true(aside from the 1 unique figure in each case).

Or we could just get a nice golden figure made by Lego itself and not some terrible homemade paint job. I'm not sure why you hate the idea so much or where you even got the pearlescent thing from, but I think its a pretty cool idea and it will be very popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Well, this is stupid: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/austria/9820517/Lego-accused-of-racism-with-Star-Wars-set.html

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oh come the gently caress on. Hagia Sophia? "Hey we have one of the most famous and distinctive domed structures in the world, let's celebrate it by equating it with any random domed building we see!" When I started reading the article I was thinking I'd get to learn about some obscure but important structure of local cultural significance, but nope. :saddowns:

For comparison, here's someone's MOC rendition of the actual Hagia Sophia:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Also feel free to not get butt-hurt over building made to be a Christian Cathedral that existed for 1000 years and was only later converted into Mosque, and is now actually a museum.

Some people just live to be offended.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Hamburlgar posted:

Yeah I haven't bothered with them or the past 2 series. Even though £32/set isn't a huge amount of money, you can't just buy a set and be done, you end up with doubles that need to be traded etc. and when it's roughly a new series every 6 months it's a lot of money for some Lego that I don't even play with.

I usually just buy the full set off ebay. You pay a few bucks more, but it saves you the hassle of the "hunt"

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Shouldn't they be angry at Lucasfilms, since that company created Jabba's Palace?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jabba's_Palace

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Everyone's giving this far more attention than it deserves.

It's so stupid it almost feels like a false flag on The Telegraph's behalf.

"Idiot makes spurious connection."
"Eh... "
"They're Muslim-"
"Sold!"

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Lizard Combatant posted:

Everyone's giving this far more attention than it deserves.

It's so stupid it almost feels like a false flag on The Telegraph's behalf.

"Idiot makes spurious connection."
"Eh... "
"They're Muslim-"
"Sold!"

Yeah, pretty much this. Generate outrage -> sell more issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I surprisingly was missing a piece in a set I got recently (Baxter Robot Rampage). That seems pretty rare. Oh well, they're sending me the piece and it wasn't horribly important to the build.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I have ~$40 in gift certs on Amazon and I'm really tempted to get the Cragger Command Ship, but I also really want that Eris Eagle Interceptor because of those sweet SNOT pieces. Dammit, why didn't I get the croc boat when it was way more on sale! :argh:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I should have bought that drat Monster Fighters Zombie set when I saw it at Target a few weeks ago. drat thing is going for a ton now.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

jeeves posted:

I should have bought that drat Monster Fighters Zombie set when I saw it at Target a few weeks ago. drat thing is going for a ton now.

I think my local Target still has it, want me to check tonight and ship it to you if they do?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

canyonero posted:

Looking or a quick suggestion for my next build. I'd like something to keep (and build) at my desk at work. It's a very casual software company, so building during lunch breaks is totally fine. I'd like something less than $100 that's "mature" for the most part. Also I'd like to avoid Star Wars as our CEO is a huge Trek nerd and hates Star Wars (I'm only partly kidding). I already have the White House at home, so that's out.

Any suggestions?

Ugh I'd love to build one of these.

Kingdoms Joust is on sale now at amazon for $90, 25% off. If that isn't mature enough the Sopwith Camel previously recommended is great, the Space Shuttle would've been a good choice if you got it last month before it retired, was $100 before but is way more now. I would add the VW Camper van which is also just about $100. =

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The Rage posted:

I think my local Target still has it, want me to check tonight and ship it to you if they do?
I'm on the fence-- my gf and I didn't buy it because we didn't really want the set (too much Monster Fighters not enough actual monsters!). I was just amazed at how much it has been shooting up in price. It was like the least produced set of the bunch or something.

Eh, f it. If you see it let me know :]

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

jeeves posted:

I'm on the fence-- my gf and I didn't buy it because we didn't really want the set (too much Monster Fighters not enough actual monsters!). I was just amazed at how much it has been shooting up in price. It was like the least produced set of the bunch or something.

You got it sir!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Grabbed the Galaxy Squad set with the tank looking thing with the removable robot and the scorpion-like alien ship. It was a little high ($60 for 500 pieces) but it was a really fun build and looks great. It even had a few new pieces to me, like those 2x2 flat squares with the completely flat bottom and the pegs on top. Only downside is a lot] of stickers.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

jeeves posted:

No luck tonight :( My Target had all of one Hearse, Castle, and Werewolf tree. Nothing else for Monster Fighters at all.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 26, 2013

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

quote:

Themes for these two weeks!
-Wild Wild West!
-Mecha

:siren:Deadline:siren:
The deadline for this build-off is January 27th!
The deadline for voting is January 26th (i need to prepare a new list of themes and do a vote count and stuff)

Next period theme possibilities

-Planes
-Steampunk
-Space
-Movie pieces, things from movies that are recognizable!
-Architecture!

Crap in a hat I totally forgot about this for this period. I'd love space and/or planes for the next build-off.

Did a Flickr group get made for this, or is it just going to be part of Legoons? I should probably get an account set up for LEGO poo poo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The Rage posted:

No luck tonight :( My Target had all of one Hearse, Castle, and Werewolf tree. Nothing else for Monster Fighters at all.

Yeah, no wonder that Zombie set is spiking in price or something, they seem to have done less production on it or whatever. Or maybe since it was zombie themed everyone grabbed it?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

AzMiLion posted:

-Wild Wild West!
-Mecha

The deadline for this build-off is January 27th!
The deadline for voting is January 26th (i need to prepare a new list of themes and do a vote count and stuff)

-Planes
-Steampunk
-Space
-Movie pieces, things from movies that are recognizable!
-Architecture!
I have some suggestions to add to the possibilities list for next time.

-Modern War
-Deep Sea
-Greek/Roman/Classical
-Interior Decorations

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jeeves posted:

Yeah, no wonder that Zombie set is spiking in price or something, they seem to have done less production on it or whatever. Or maybe since it was zombie themed everyone grabbed it?

No idea why, it's pretty crappy to be honest.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
My submission for this build-off:

I'll cast my vote for space; I've been wanting to build some ships/stations/asteroids for a while now.

General Specific fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 26, 2013

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The_Doctor posted:

No idea why, it's pretty crappy to be honest.

Basically the reason my gf and I didn't pick it up. We absolutely love the Monster Fighter theme, but that one was eh.

Also, I went to go check on what's new in TRU and dear god is everything so expensive. The smallest TMNT set, which is 12$ at Target, was 20$ at TRU.

I'm guessing the reason they get away with it is because they simply can-- so many people just go into TRU and have their kids pick up something for them to buy right now (and thus to shut them up) that it is the TRU tax on not having your kids have to wait to go somewhere else or ship it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Where does one buy the Lego Minifigure series boxes? I need to build some rep on an ebay account for the future and selling off spare minifigures out of one of those boxes may be a cheap way to do it.

Plus, my gf can feel out the packages as that is apparently one of her favorite things to do in the world and we look like giant weirdos doing it at Target or TRU.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

jeeves posted:

My local Target is still loaded with every other Monster Fighter set, but there wasn't a zombie graveyard anywhere. :iiam:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FadingChord posted:

My local Target is still loaded with every other Monster Fighter set, but there wasn't a zombie graveyard anywhere. :iiam:

Sounds like a case of: 3222: Helicopter and Limousine. It was produced in such low quantities even though the demand was high. Prices are quite ridiculous for how lame the set is.
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=3222-1

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

General Specific posted:

This is great. You are great.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

jeeves posted:

Where does one buy the Lego Minifigure series boxes? I need to build some rep on an ebay account for the future and selling off spare minifigures out of one of those boxes may be a cheap way to do it.

Plus, my gf can feel out the packages as that is apparently one of her favorite things to do in the world and we look like giant weirdos doing it at Target or TRU.

Depends on the individual store. My local Fred Meyers tend to just put out all the boxes they get and open up a few; it's where I've been buying my sealed boxes for the last few releases. My Toys R Us just fills up an endcap dispenser thing, so no box. I haven't seen them recently at Walmart or Target, but I've seen Walmart use pegboard or dispensers instead of putting out boxes, and Target using pegboard.
You could probably ask an employee in the toy departments about getting sealed boxes, but if your GF is going to feel everything out anyway, you could just go buy everything on a pegboard or in a dispenser.

djfooboo posted:

Sounds like a case of: 3222: Helicopter and Limousine. It was produced in such low quantities even though the demand was high. Prices are quite ridiculous for how lame the set is.
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=3222-1

What the hell? This must be because of MISB speculators; there's nothing in that set that's special; even the only-in-one-set-but-reviled blue cockpit piece is available for $.50 on bricklink. You could probably build it on BL for about MSRP.
Ebay just sent me an update on a watched seller who somehow has 8 bids at $115 for the Power Miners Crystal Sweeper 8961, which was ridiculously overpriced at $70 MSRP (474 pieces), and this auction isn't even in a box! Someone sold one of these on ebay for $275 sealed.

I can get 30-year-old Space sets for less markup!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think a lot of people simply don't know about Bricklink on ebay to be honest. Plus the whole BrickPicker speculation bubble buying doesn't help.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Well I haven't really participated in the last couple challenges like I was planning but theres been a lot of awesome stuff so far!

Particularly this, this is awesome! So instead of a full MOC heres a minifig I made a little while ago, kinda reminds me of a 40K Necron and he kinda fits for the mech category.

:ghost:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

50% off clearance items means this is $40? Yes please! Same store also had a huge bin of Series 9 so I found 4 more space orks and called it a day. :v:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

InfinEight posted:

50% off clearance items means this is $40? Yes please! Same store also had a huge bin of Series 9 so I found 4 more space orks and called it a day. :v:

Holy gently caress wow. Good score.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

InfinEight posted:

Yeah I'm insanely jealous. My Target still has it at full price.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Built this mech a while ago for my space-marine. Kind of wimped out on the legs. The wings have put too much stress on the pins holding them, they've started to crack, so he'll have to come apart soon.

And then for Christmas I built this and put him on our tree: ROBO SANTA. Totally :effort: on his limbs.

And an Atlantis mini-mech. I wish there were trans-yellow saws.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Holy crap, them be some nice mechs.

The closing post might be a bit later this time or it might be made by luminaflare, I've been struck dow by the goddamn flu. I have a couple of mechs finnished, and one in half-progress. I'll attempt to get some images up for them.

There's currently no flickr group made for the Bi-weekly build-off. might be a good idea to set one up.

EDIT//

Also, you get to vote for 2 themes per build-off. just sayin.
ALso feel free to suggest more themes to go on the list. If things aren't voted for long enough i'll yank em back out.

EDIT//
My personal votes are planes and space.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 27, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you collect Architecture sets, Amazon has the Brandenburg Gate one for $23 instead of $35.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0050R0V3O

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

LEGOONS Bi-Weekly Build-off Flickr group
I hope i linked that right. It's a public group for now. feel free to post stuff to it and post progress shots there as well.

Also got my mech done, didn't personalize it as much as i want since flu. but eh, still looks cool.

Raven Prince - Buildoff by AzMiLion, on Flickr

Raven Prince - Buildoff by AzMiLion, on Flickr

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Two new sets in a row with missing pieces :smith:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

djfooboo posted:

Two new sets in a row with missing pieces :smith:

I see people say this and every time I buy a set and can't find a certain piece (I'm a pile guy) I think "oh no it finally happened to me!" and then I find it hiding under something else. 20+ years and so far no missing pieces, fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I'm jumping the gun on this post a bit, but i feel like poo poo and going to bed. Click the name to go to the posts, notepad ate my pretty formatting.

:siren:Build-off 2 Over in two hours! :siren:
A bit less participation this time wich is a bit of a shame, but eh. let's hope
for better results next time!
We stil got a bunch of awesome MOCs this time with everything being excellent and carrying a real sense of style.

Prince Reggie K posted:

Here are some western Mecha things I did last night and Photographed this morning upon completion.

RodShaft posted:

My western theme submission!

General Specific posted:

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Built this mech a while ago for my space-marine. Kind of wimped out on the legs. The wings have put too much stress on the pins holding them, they've started to crack, so he'll have to come apart soon.
:siren:Goon bi-Weekly Build off 3: Return of the AFOL:siren:
The bi-weekly LEGOONS Build-off is a way to keep developing your skill with LEGO in whatever form you work with it, whether it’s real bricks, LDD, MLDCAD or some other way. Every two weeks there will be a theme posted in which you can participate and build MOCs fitting to that theme.

How do I participate?
Simple, state in a post that you are participating in one of the themes and post progress shots or a finished MOC once you are done.
We also have a flickr group set up for this now. it's right here

Theme voting
At the start of each build-off I’ll be posting the current theme(s) and a list of options for the next themes, if you prefer a theme you can cast a vote for the next theme! You can cast a total of two votes, since there are two themes per period.

Is it a :toxx:
No, toxxes are unfun.

-Space
-Planes

The deadline for this build-off is February 10th!
The deadline for voting is February 9th (i need to prepare a new list of themes and do a vote count and stuff)

-Movie pieces, things from movies that are recognizable
-Architecture
-Modern War
-Deep Sea
-Greek/Roman/Classical
-Interior Decorations