Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Yeah, guess who died to that frickin' lava the first time he got to the end of the sandcrawler stage. :argh: You're right about the floating rocks too! Maybe you can see them as you approach and climb up, but I'm pretty sure it's just a leap of faith.

To the best of my knowledge the game doesn't quite do any "surprise" platforming like that again. Still plenty of dick moves left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I knew Super Star Wars took some liberties with the source material, but I really did not expect the sandcrawler to have a giant lava monster in it.

Also, someone should LP that old Phantom Menace game. I remember it being completely ridiculous (for example, you could murder just about every NPC and no one would give a poo poo) and also pretty drat hard. I probably just sucked at it because I was a dumbass kid, but I never made it past the Mos Espa level and even getting that far was a pain in the rear end.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
If it's the PS1 game you're talking about, I remember being unable to get past the first level without using the cheat menu.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

If it's the PS1 game you're talking about, I remember being unable to get past the first level without using the cheat menu.
That's the one. I had the PC version which at least had decent graphics (so you could actually see what the gently caress was going on, instead of everything being a horribly pixelated mess) and you could save during the levels, but it was still hard. I remember there was a whole bunch of bullshit platforming sections where you'd get hosed over by the awful controls, and if you ever ran into more than a couple of enemies you'd get murdered in seconds. Good times.

I probably still have that game disc somewhere. I wonder if it would work on 64-bit Windows 7.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

There's a glitch you can abuse in all three of the Super Star Wars games where if you cancel your slide by shooting mid-slide (it actually has to be right near the end of your slide animation) damage will go straight through you.

I utilize this glitch on the "mini-boss" of the inside sandcrawler, if you slide up to him and shoot all of his projectiles will go through you. There's also a helpful glitch you can abuse to make the boss inside the sandcrawler not load up at all. If you hold R as you're falling down and keep it held the entire time you're in that lava area, the boss and Artoo Deeto won't load and you can just jump to the end of the screen and the level ends.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Danzel Glovington posted:

There's also a helpful glitch you can abuse to make the boss inside the sandcrawler not load up at all. If you hold R as you're falling down and keep it held the entire time you're in that lava area, the boss and Artoo Deeto won't load and you can just jump to the end of the screen and the level ends.

I just tried this. Holy mother of god you weren't freaking kidding. :stare: It doesn't even mess up your jumping any.

...you got any glitches to make the Kalhar Boss Monster a joke?

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

FreezingInferno posted:

I just tried this. Holy mother of god you weren't freaking kidding. :stare: It doesn't even mess up your jumping any.

...you got any glitches to make the Kalhar Boss Monster a joke?

The best way is to get there as Chewie with many health swords and go to town on him with plasma by standing in the back. Sliding into the boss will push him back, and if you're lucky he won't charge you again, but as far as glitches, sorry but I don't think so.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 22, 2013

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
STREET FIGHTER 2010 UPDATE

Our search for whatever we are hunting is narrowing down more and more, as there are only 2 planets left in the entire galaxy!

It's also a water world, and while Ken handles water really well, the designers made sure to use all of the tropes of water levels to a science (at least in one level of the episode). Still, this world is kind of a relief after the hard and lengthy desert world, as it's shorter and easier than it.

Planet 4

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This thread is not getting anywhere near the kind of love it deserves, especially since we have giant fish submarine bullshit scrolling levels that take forever and even go backwards. Did you know? In hell, this is the only kind of level there is.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I do recall reading somewhere that the storyline about Ken's inner voice was going to be this hyper intelligent Teratogenous Cystoma that was giving him all these powers, and the original game went further in explaining on how he was slowly dying and there was a confusion between the villain's voice and the tumor's voice. And it didn't seem some sort of creepypasta/"alternate fan theory" thing, but more as like something taken out of a design document.

Apt Funk
Nov 2, 2012
VVVVVV V-Rank Time Trials

Time trials in VVVVVV are an unlockable play mode where you can replay a previously beaten level and get ranked on your performance. To obtain a V-rank in time trial mode, you must do a deathless, full-trinket run of a level under a certain time limit. So, essentially, time trial mode takes an already difficult game and makes it unforgiving as well.

In this series of videos, I will be showing off V-rank runs of each level, while also showing off some tricks that make getting through the levels a lot quicker. So, with all that out of the way, here is the first update:

Apologies to schadenfreude enthusiasts for the low death count, though that will change soon, as next up is Space Station 2.

Apt Funk fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 23, 2013

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.
Alright, that was impressive. I had to skip the trinkets to get S rank, and barely made it under par. I look forward to the later levels.

Charkie
Jan 28, 2004

I AM THE WORLD'S
GREATEST DETECTIVE
It's time to go to Hell. A very silly hell.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Apt Funk posted:

Apologies to schadenfreude enthusiasts for the low death count, though that will change soon, as next up is Space Station 2.

Oh ho. I was thinking of making some V rank videos myself but now I guess I don't have to. Just as well, because I already have some content to post for this after Phiggle finishes his run. But all in due time.

Hahaha wow I had no idea about that trick in the second trinket room. Would have saved me some trouble getting this V rank...not that Space Station 1 is a particularly difficult V rank either way.

It's kind of funny how the format of the main LP requires you to tackle the most difficult V rank pretty much right out of the gate. I don't even think it's difficult because of the dreaded Veni Vidi Vici sequence. No, I'd much rather do that twice then be forced to get that drat You Just Keep Coming Back trinket. Holy poo poo gently caress that trinket. I'm curious to see how you feel about this important issue.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Charkie posted:

Galactus knows that the best way to ensure the success of his servants is to withhold useful information.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
He probably isn't telling him because whatever is in the magik domain is too stupid for him to be able to say it with a dumbmenacing face.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

The Silver Surfer stuff has made me want to see someone do the NES Captain Planet game for this thread; they were both games I remember fondly from my childhood.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.

azren posted:

The Silver Surfer stuff has made me want to see someone do the NES Captain Planet game for this thread; they were both games I remember fondly from my childhood.

Why don't you do it? :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Interestingly enough there was a TAS of the NES Captain Planet game just submitted to the TASVideos workbench.

I watched the first two levels. They were horribly dull.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Charkie posted:

The first blue things are obviously spines, flying jiggle spines.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
The latest: Final: Dectilon's Legend Run

An excellent guy by the name of Locomalito (website) has made a number of free standalone games in an old-school arcade style. They're generally really fun to play, but they're also built to "80's gaming standards" of difficulty. In other words, tricky, challenging, and generally quarter-gobbling if you were to play on an arcade cabinet. You might remember when Dectilon (and much later, myself with his help) took on his excellent shoot-'em-up, Hydorah.

Well, Maldita Castilla is Locomalito's tribute to a different genre: ye olde medieval side-scroller. Think Ghosts'n Goblins with some tweaks. Dectilon asked me to play through this one blind with him like I did with Hydorah. He actually ran the idea of the LP by Locomalito, who gave us the thumbs up to show it off here. Expect a healthy dose of editing around deaths in later videos, because like the games he's making an homage to, the game gets pretty cruel!

Round 1 - the competent leading the blind to BAD END

Chapter 1: Tolomera del Rey

Chapter 2: Road of the Harpies

Chapter 3: The Alcazar

Chapter 4: Swamp of Malaventura

Chapter 5: Cursed Forest

Round 2: To the final level and MEDIOCRE END

Chapters 1-5: All Tears, Full Run (about 56 minutes)

Chapters 1-5: All Tears, "Highlights" (condensed to about 32 minutes)

Chapter 6: The Realm of Pain

Round 3: GOOD END by GOOD PLAYER

Final: Dectilon's Legend Run

Also of interest(?):
Let's Race Maldita Castilla, with Dectilon, Phiggle, RobotGoat and Some Strange Flea, from the Let's Race thread! Follow that link to find another, especially funny race of the game!

Phiggle fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 14, 2013

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dectilon posted:

Why don't you do it? :)

The one and only reason is I can't seem to get my emulator to record properly (it's on a Mac, and I've had trouble getting resources together).

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This game looks really cool. I'll have to play along.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Oh jeez the Hydorah dude just made a Ghosts and Goblins remake? Time to die horriblier :negative:

The game seems pretty, dare I say, fair? I'm sure the total bullshit will rear its head for the "true ending" or something, Path of Scyllaaaaa :argh:

TheAdmiral
Mar 1, 2006
Internet, ho!

I've given this one a few tries, though Ghouls & Ghosts & Goblins etc. hasn't always been my favorite game. I like that this game has the ability to look fairly easy if you watch someone play it, but then actually doing it yourself is so much more difficult. At least for the first or second level.

Usually when I hear about Locomalito, I hear people talking about Maldita Castilla or Hydorah, but my favorite game of his has always been Viriax. Maybe I have strange tastes. Maybe it's just that I like sci-fi, but Hydorah scares me. The only way I could ever beat those scrolling shooters was just brute force of lives.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
This looks pretty fun! Which is interesting, because I've never liked Ghosts 'n' Goblins.

Orry
Apr 5, 2011
Maldita Castilla seems like it has generally better level design than and of the Ghosts'n Goblins/Ghouls'n Ghosts games. When I get hit in Maldita Castilla it generally seems like it's my fault, which is significantly different from my experience with Ghouls'n Ghosts. The ability to control jumps in the air, even slightly, goes a long way towards improving playability when compared to its obvious influence.

I've not completed the game yet, but the first two levels seemed fun enough and I'll probably give it another go in the near future.

Apt Funk
Nov 2, 2012

Kefit posted:

It's kind of funny how the format of the main LP requires you to tackle the most difficult V rank pretty much right out of the gate. I don't even think it's difficult because of the dreaded Veni Vidi Vici sequence. No, I'd much rather do that twice then be forced to get that drat You Just Keep Coming Back trinket. Holy poo poo gently caress that trinket. I'm curious to see how you feel about this important issue.

Well, it matters how you actually do that trinket. There's the normal way which is pretty slow, the fast way which is pretty hard, and then the ridiculously hard way that I would never do in a run, but will probably show off anyway. Either way, I think Space Station 2 is hard to V-rank mostly due to the fact that it is quite a long time trial with many different areas where you can make mistakes. It's not like there's just one trouble area that you can get past and then be fine.

Edit: Actually, after practicing the difficult way to do You Just Keep Coming Back for a while, it's not that bad. I'm still not sure if I'd include it in the actual run though.

Apt Funk fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 26, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Phiggle has updated the banner with a few more unfortunate victims.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
The Konami code is a nice touch. If it was in there before, I didn't notice it until now.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I must have looked at this GIF 100 times, and I'm just now realizing that Bright Man is riding the spike wall.

Good job Luke, you made it-- oh. oh dear.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Nice looking game. In answer to your question, the Zarrampla is in fact a monster in Spanish folklore. It is a man-eating monster of some sort, presumably dragon- or serpent-like. It seems to be pretty obscure; I read about them before, but all I can find now is a very poorly translated story, in which it is defeated by an ant. If there're any actual speakers of spanish, a better translation would be nice. I find it unlikely that this exchange took place:

Grandma, Grandma, why are you crying so much?
'Because in my solana one that has tragao zarrampla my three granddaughters, an oiler, a paprika and a couple of guards.
And the ant said to her:
- How many pussies you give me if I kill the zarrampla, leaving her three granddaughters, the oiler, the paprika and the couple of civilian guards?
-A bushel of wheat, 'said Granny.
- Do not take both my sip! Ant said.
-I will give you a handful.
- Do not take both my sip!
'I give you five pussy.
- Do not take both my sip!
'I'll give you a pussy.
- Yes Ose catching in my sip!

http://tinyurl.com/a39k9ss

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I love the new banner! Bright Man is a recent addition, isn't he? Or was Mega Man Dongs always part of the intended lineup?

Anyway, to celebrate Eryi being added to the banner, how about another video? In this set of levels, we're moving into the second half of the game - it's a bit faster-paced, since there are only five levels left, but the traps get trickier and there are more places where quick reflexes or very careful timing are required even when you know what's coming. None of them involve the boss, though. When I said the bosses in this game offered a lot of variety, this is what I was referring to. But before the boss, we've got a snow level that does some pretty amazing things with the game's elements, and a fortress that's as full of traps as you'd expect - with an interesting exception.

Levels 7-9 Blip Youtube

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW

Nidoking posted:

I love the new banner! Bright Man is a recent addition, isn't he? Or was Mega Man Dongs always part of the intended lineup?
He wasn't in the original banner, and I wanted to add something reflecting the MMD playthrough. At the same time, I didn't think it made sense for him to be among the protagonists. He's too smart for that!

NAME REDACTED posted:

If there're any actual speakers of spanish, a better translation would be nice.

[Zarrampla translation]
Seconding this because cripes that is the worst translation I've seen in a long time.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

NAME REDACTED posted:

Nice looking game. In answer to your question, the Zarrampla is in fact a monster in Spanish folklore. It is a man-eating monster of some sort, presumably dragon- or serpent-like. It seems to be pretty obscure; I read about them before, but all I can find now is a very poorly translated story, in which it is defeated by an ant. If there're any actual speakers of spanish, a better

http://tinyurl.com/a39k9ss

Let's see what I can do...

The Zarrampla posted:

Once upon a time there was a grandma who had three granddaughters. One day she told one to sew a shirt, another to sweep and the last to iron some underwear. And she said: "The first to finish must go to the solarium and get some bread and honey."

And so the eldest finished first and went up to the solarium. On the solarium there was a zarrampla and told the girl: "Little girl, little girl, go no further, for I'm a zarrampla and I'll devour you!"

And the girl, paying no heed, went ahead and the zarrampla devoured her. Another sister finished and the grandmother said: "Go, up to the solarium and get bread and honey, and tell your other sister to come down."

This sister went to the solarium and the zarrampla told her: "Little girl, little girl, go no further, for I'm a zarrampla and I'll devour you!"

But this sister also went ahead and the zarrampla devoured her. The youngest finished and the grandmother said: "Go, up to the solarium and get bread and honey, and tell your sisters to come down, that if they make me go, I'll throw them down the stairs."

So the youngest went to the solarium, and the zarrampla said: "Little girl, little girl, go no further, for I'm a zarrampla and I'll devour you!"

This sister didn't pay heed either. She went ahead and the zarrampla devoured her.

Seeing they were taking so long, the grandmother went to the solarium. and the zarrampla said: "Grandma, grandma, don't come up here, because I'm a zarrampla and I'll devour you."

The grandmother came down in tears and sat at the door to her house. An oiler passed nearby and asked her:

"Grandma, why are you crying so?"
"Because in the solarium there's a zarrampla," answered the grandma, "and it devoured my three granddaughters."
"Worry not, worry not!" Said the oiler. "I'll go up the solarium, put the zarrampla in the oil can and out will come your three granddaughters."

While going up, the zarrampla told the oiler: "Oiler, oiler, don't come up here, that I'm a zarrampla and I'll devour you!"

The oiler went up and the zarrampla devoured him.

So the grandmother came down in tears again and sat on the door. And a pepperer passed nearby and asked her:

"Grandma, why are you crying so?"
"Because on the solarium there's a zarrampla," she told the pepperer, "and it devoured my three granddaughters and an oiler."
"Worry not, worry not!" Said the pepperer. "I'll throw it a little pepper and out and singing will come everyone."

And while going up, the zarrampla told the pepperer: "Pepperer, pepperer, don't come up here, that I'm a zarrampla and I'll devour you!"

But the pepperer went up, and the zarrampla devoured him.

The grandmother came down in tears again and sat on the door. Nearby passed a pair of men with very long moustaches who looked like hippos, and asked her:

"Grandma, grandma, why are you crying so much?"
"Because in my solarium there's a zarrampla," she replied, "that has devoured my three little granddaughters, an oiler and a pepperer."
"Worry not, worry not!" They told her. "That we with our fusils will kill it and out will come everyone."

And upon going up the zarrampla told them: "Guards, don't come up here, for I'm a zarrampla and I'll devour you!"

They went up and the zarrampla devoured them.

The grandma came down and sat to cry on her door, louder than the previous times. Nearby passed an ant and asked her: "Grandma, grandma, why are you crying so much?"

"Because on my solarium there's a zarrampla that has devoured my three little granddaughters, an oiler, a pepperer and a pair of guards."

And the ant asked the grandmother: "How much wheat will you give me if I killed the zarrampla, and out come your three granddaughters, the oiler, the pepperer and the pair of guards?"

"A sack of wheat," answered the grandma.
"That much can't fit in my crop!" Replied the ant.
"I'll give you a handful."
"That much can't fit in my crop!"
"I'll give you five grains."
"That much can't fit in my crop!"
"I'll give you a grain."
"Oh, now that fits in my crop!"

And upon going up the stairs the zarrampla told the ant: "Little ant, little ant, don't come up here, for I'm a zarrampla and I'll devour you!"
And the little ant replied: "I'm an ant from an anthill; I'll sting your rear end and make you dance!"

And it went up, stung it in the rear end and out came everyone joyfully. And the zarrampla left and each and everyone went home.

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 27, 2013

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Nephilm posted:

oh my god that reads so much better thank you

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Nephilm posted:

That sure is a tale :psyduck:

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

That sure is a tale :psyduck:

To be honest, for european folklore, that's pretty tame. I'm honestly surprised... especially given all the pussy in the crap translation...

Hell, no-one actually died in it. That alone makes it unusual.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I'm not really clear on what the moral is either. Or if there's not supposed to be one, then what the point even is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Felinoid posted:

I'm not really clear on what the moral is either. Or if there's not supposed to be one, then what the point even is.

The moral is 'ants rock, and are very altruistic'.

• Locked thread