Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
It's not as much fun as it sounds in your head. It's actually pretty terrible. Have fun making everyone hate your loving guts, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, that kind of thing depends on how good of a player you are and whether your group is okay with it. It can be done well, but if you're going to use that as an excuse to fishmalk it up, get hosed with a baseball bat.

Has anyone ever run a Dungeon Fantasy game with bits and pieces of High Tech and Ultra Tech stuff sprinkled around? Like, a camp of goblins where most of them have axes, short swords, etc but the leader has an M16, or a dragon's cave where hidden in its stash is a giant robot that hasn't been piloted or repaired in what looks like centuries.

I've been playing around with the idea for a while and honestly it sounds like it could create a really interesting power dynamic.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 4, 2012

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

High tech stuff is going to be really loving expensive and hard to work with. In order to use that stuff you'll need some kind of computer use training or something. It's not impossible to deal with though, you could have "ancient histories" be a field of study that lets you do that stuff.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Biggest problem that, unless its some sort of mash up between magic/technology, the penalties for operating at higher TLs basically make it completely impossible to operate the machines -- Some don't even have lower level equivalents.

If it's all mechanical (A gun), or some sort of magical programming; at least you can instil penalties. It also helps if you have some sort of place that the players can offload/speak to about the 'strange artifacts' that they find.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
If the setting has access to, but not the capability to independently produce higher TL equipment, it can be described as TLX/Y, where X is the society's personal tech level and Y the level of the borrowed tech.

For example, your Dungeon Fantasy campaign would probably be somewhere between TL3/7 - TL3/12.

(See Basic Set, p. 513)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elendil004 posted:

I am making a character for a special forces/tier 1/etc game. I really kind of want to take On the Edge, Overconfidence, and Impulsiveness just to see that trainwreck in action.

You should know better.

e- why not take Bad Temper, Berserk, and Bloodlust while you're at it :haw:

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Pehaps I should tell you the story of Joćo. He was a reckless bastard. Did I mention he had Bad Temper? (I think this was negotiated down from On the Edge in IRC, if I recall correctly.)

TL;DR posted:

1 Joaõ Llanganabal ~Cardinal Ximenez Death by Foggoth

I liked Joćo; I liked his backstory:

DocBubonic's Old ISWAT Game posted:

Joaõ Llanganabal

One of the worlds recently discovered by Infinity has been classified as Bonaparte-7 (2004, Q6, P7), where a more decentralized Gran Columbia merged with the USA to preserve the balance of power between Bonapartist-controlled Europe and the Americas. About 200 years later, the United Pan-American States and the European Empire remain at a nuclear stalemate.

Joaõ was born in 1970 in what would be rural Peru back in Homeline, growing up as a riverboat trader along the Amazon Canal. Naturally talented with the jungles and mountains of the inter-Andean region, he rose within the ranks of the EPAU's special forces. Known as a great commander in highly dangerous environments, he was assigned to train guerrillas in Indochina for one of the many ongoing proxy wars... Until a surprise attack by a mysterious third party left his entire unit wiped out.

Two months later, Joaõ showed up at an ISWAT safe house with a live Interworld Service agent in his hands. He wanted revenge.

But I was not quite... experienced.

quote:

Joćo

Fog. We're walking right into an ambush. Before getting out of the warehouse, he lights his lighter in the strange mist for a few seconds. Maybe it's flammable.

Sitting, but not buckled into the rover, he prepares himself.

He readies his rifle, aggressive intent be damned, getting the initiative is mandatory in bad conditions. He rotates in place every few seconds, making sure he isn't missing anything.

quote:

Joćo

He groans and bolts out of the rover, primed to fire at first sign of anything vaguely eldritch.

Guns (Rifle) - 15 / Running - 14

quote:

Joćo

Scrambling for cover at the sight of the monstrosity, Joćo lets out a quick burst of bullets into the mass.

Move to cover if possible & Attack (Guns-15), 5 shots.

Note that Move & Attack caps you at an effective skill of 9! :eng101:

quote:

Adam, Joao, and Jinn hit, but their bullets don't seem to harm the creature much. In fact its hard to tell if the creature is injured at all. Ran has his grenade prepared. Hans and Clark are back in action. Joe's power works, but the creature seems unaffected.

quote:

Joćo

"drat! Everyone keep back, I'll try to distract it until the fireball gets in," Joćo claims.

I want a slice of that Jell-O...

All-Out Defense for Increased Dodge (+2) while moving forwards 4 yards. This might qualify for Daredevil.

:smith:

DocBubonic posted:

Evanston

Ran tosses the grenade at the huge quivering mass. The grenade bounces once and then the creature engulfs it. There is no other sign of the grenade. Ran can't tell how much damage the grenade caused the creature. Adam fires and watches as his bullets enter the blob with no effect. He then manages to jump off the truck. Clark fires three shots and then runs. He stops at the front of a theater complex entrance. His shots show the same result as Adam's, which is nothing. Joao moves up a few yards ready to dodge any attacks. Jinn grabs his stuff and gets off of the truck. He hits the ground safely.

Joe runs from the truck and runs up to a nearby building. He finds that the nearest most secure building is a tavern. The building only has a few small glass windows and seems otherwise sturdy. He flings the door open and finds that its dark inside.

Max continues to put more energy into his spell. It continues to grow in size.

The eldritch horror creeps ever closer. Somehow it senses Joao and launches a pseudopod like arm at him. The limb flails around as it tries to grab Joao, but Joao manages to dodge the arm.

I need everyone to list how much ammo for the gun they're using in their posts. Also for your own sakes, I recommend making sure you list any modifiers your characters have in regards to combat. It could come in handy in the future.

Ran's grenade did do some damage, but its hard to tell how much. The same thing with the bullets fired at the creature.

Hans is free to act now.

Joao easily dodges the arm that tried to grab him. Joao is within 2 yards of the creature now. [emphasis mine]

Jinn is off the truck. Joe has found a dark abandoned building and is prepared to enter. Max continues to power up.

Here is how close, roughly, the creature is from everyone: Ran 6 yards, Hans 8 yards, Adam 11 yards, Clark 11 yards, Jinn 9 yards, Joe 11 yards, Max 9 yards and in the air.

EDIT 1: Jinn is an it. Please refer to it by its correct gender in the future.
EDIT 2: Joao gets 1 cp for his bravery.

:unsmith:

quote:

Joćo

Dodging the monstrous appendage, Joćo smirks.

"Stupid giant jellyfish should stay in the ocean," he chuckles as he plans his next move.

Is the tentacle of a substantially different material than the rest of the thing? If so, fire 10 shots at it (Guns-15). Otherwise, keep on all-out dodging (+2), move out of fireball range if possible.

Wait, this is looking up!

DocBubonic posted:

Max unleashes a fiery ball of super heated blazing death. It hits the creature and engulfs the thing. Flames spread all over the great monstrous being. It quivers in a way that none of the group have seen it quiver. The great behemoth does not die however.

[...]

Joao sees that the appendages and realizes that they are of the same material that the rest of the thing is. The viscid entity merely shoots out appendages of itself and then pulls them back into itself. Joao notices the fireball aimed at the thing and sidesteps it. Joao can feel the heat, but is not burned by the fireball. A new problem does arise. The once slimy mass of protoplasm is now on fire. And its going to take its rage out on the closest living thing.

Joe tries to project another illusion at the creature, but the creature shows no signs of changing its course. It is hard to tell if the creature is reacting to the illusion or not. It moves forward and it sends out tentacles in front of itself in several places. The pseudopods seem to look for bodies where Joe projected bodies, but the thing also casts other tentacles in the direction of Joao.

The gigantic blob moves forward, swarming over the land. Some of the trash on the street gets pulled into the blob. There is no telling what happens when something is drawn into the blob. The thing lashes out at Joao again with a fiery tendril. He tries to dodge, but the tendril wraps around his mid section. The fire coming off the tendril burns Joao, but the more immediate problem is that the thing has him in its clutches.

[...]

Finally Joao got caught by the creature. It was a lucky roll on the creature's part. Joao's options now are to break the creature's hold on him or to go attack/all out attack on the creature. Joao is at -4 to DX right now. Joao has one turn to break free from the grasp or for the creature to die. If that doesn't happen, the creature will envelope Joao and the really bad damage begins. Joao takes no damage from the fire.

Well, then...

quote:

Joćo

"You son of a bitch!" he exclaims, growling like a dog. "I'm going to eat you, you motherfucking calamar!"

He hocks phlegm at it, and then chows down on the flaming tentacle.

Determined attack (+4), biting the psuedopod. Karate-13?

:v:

DocBubonic posted:

Joao spits on the creature and then bites the tendril holding him. He finds the tentacle is extremely solid. His teeth don't even break the outer surface of the thing. Then the thing reacts. It draws its tentacle into itself along with Joao. Joao begins to feel the excruciating pain as the hideous thing begins crush Joao.

[...]

Also Joao fails to hurt the Foggoth. Fortune favors Joao with a 2 cp bonus and he continues to stay conscious. He did get hit for 17 points of damage (reduced down to 12 due to body armor). The body armor isn't terrible effective against crushing damage. Joao easily passed his check to stay conscious. He is still grappled though.

quote:

Joćo

Joćo discovers that the thing is more plastic than gelatinous in the hardest way possible, being squeezed to almost to point of breaking. He manages to grasp on to some remaining strength, however.

"I'm... not dead... yet," he chokes, reaching for his rifle's trigger.

Can I try to fire a round blind to get the tentacle to loosen? I'm not sure what kind of check that would be, but I have Guns (rifle)-15.

DocBubonic posted:

In the mouth of the monster! Joao fires several rounds at the tentacle holding him, but the tentacle doesn't let him go. At this range he can tell the bullets are hitting the creature, but they are just not hurting the creature enough to be very effective. He hears the crash of the truck, and avoids being harmed by it.

The hideous monster then draws Joao in further. Only parts of Joao that are protruding from the monster are an arm and a leg. The monster attacks Joao's head. The last sensation Joao feels is incredible pressure on his head. Joao's arm outside the monster useless squeezes the trigger of his rifle sending bullets into the buildings lining the street.

R.I.P. Joao. Joao has been killed. The creature attacked his head. Joao's head got crushed like a grape. Joao takes 110 points of damage to his head (which brings him down below the instant death death mark of -5xHP).

The moral of the story: don't charge eldritch abominations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Would some gurps wizard be able to look at my character and see if I should say drop a point of DX and add 1 to all skills, or visa-versa? http://dangerbearing.com/dnd/Freddie%20Witman.pdf

edit: I'll just post it.

Ignore the equipment, I was just looking for a way to get gun statlines into a sheet and playing around.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 5, 2012

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

I hate to post another request right after Elendil004, but here I am anyway.

I'm thinking of running a Mass Effect GURPS game. What books should I look into buying to prepare for it?

I saw Tactical Shooting on the front page of the website, and that seems like it might be a good fit. But what are my sci-fi and aliens options? And do any of the supplements handle space combat similar to Mass Effect?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
A few people have given Mass Effect GURPS a whirl and made some homebrew stuff, so maybe they'll jump in and help out.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
You're going to want Ultra-Tech and then Spaceships for space battles. Tactical Shooting is for extreme gun spergs who want ultra-realistic combat, I wouldn't use it for a game like ME. Space is really useful, too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Space is super useful if you want to generate a bunch of realistic star systems like the kind in ME1.

You'll also want to look at Powers if you're having trouble with biotics.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Honestly, for Mass Effect I'd probably look at Action and not much else. Ultra-Tech and Space are good for trying for a more realistic approach, but imo the more modern numbers tend to be more balanced and they work well for more pulpy space games where the actual space stuff is mostly handwaved away. Mass Effect is mostly about shooting stuff and doing detective work.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

I don't know about my players, but one of the things I liked MOST about Mass Effect was that the space stuff wasn't handwaved away. The element zero stuff was a little handwave-y, I suppose, but space combat and tech was well thought out. I spent hours reading the codex entries.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Yeah, not entirely sure why someone would suggest ignoring Space and Powers in a setting about space and flinging powers around. Anyway, Space and Powers are good suggestions, and while I don't want to sit here and overload you with options I would say taking a look in Action and Gun Fu for some ideas isn't a bad plan. Action's got rules for simplifying shooting which you might look at since there will probably be a lot of that going on! There's also a Pyramid article about adapting Action to Transhuman space that could be cool to check out, not for setting-specific things but for a general feel of "this is how you might apply future stuff to an action-movie style game."

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

lowercase16 posted:

I don't know about my players, but one of the things I liked MOST about Mass Effect was that the space stuff wasn't handwaved away. The element zero stuff was a little handwave-y, I suppose, but space combat and tech was well thought out. I spent hours reading the codex entries.

The space stuff wasn't handwaved in the codex, but you could largely change the plot to "freedom fighters on a high tech stealth speedboat travel the islands and solve problems while searching for the secret enemy warship". You see it a lot in Sci Fi, and when you're building a game to play you have to decide whether you emulate the letter of the setting or the spirit of the setting. Ultra-tech largely doesn't interface well with the Mass Effect setting, UT tries to give you significantly different technologies while Mass Effect tries to give you FPS guns + space shields. I'd probably look at UT for the TL9 stuff as food for thought, but I'd probably skin the weapons as being analogous to modern stuff except that there's no ammo and a "heat" parameter that's roughly analogous to ammo except that it automatically refills at a set rate (set such that handguns have to wait a second or two after shooting a magazine, shotguns have to wait a second or two after shooting 4-5 shots, automatic rifles can't sustain automatic fire and sniper rifles have to wait after every shot if they're bolt action or every other shot if they're automatic).

Obviously you mimick biotics with Powers and Engineering is going to be based around some TL9 super tool IIRC.

EDIT: The major thing to remember when you're going up in TLs with fairly standard weapons like pistols and shotguns and crap is that you're basically just adding dice and range and better FA capabilities to the guns and higher DR and lower weight to the armors. It's also generally less balanced than the modern stuff, and UT was one of the earlier 4e books IIRC and is generally lower on the quality level.

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 7, 2012

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a GCA4 data file for the Tactical Shooting book? I have the book, but putting it all in manually for my character is going to be a pain in the rear end.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a GCA4 data file for the Tactical Shooting book? I have the book, but putting it all in manually for my character is going to be a pain in the rear end.

There's nothing on the sjgames forums or any of the GCA repositories, so it looks like you've got a bunch of work to do.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Swagger Dagger posted:

There's nothing on the sjgames forums or any of the GCA repositories, so it looks like you've got a bunch of work to do.

You think some sperg would have done this already :(

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

A sperg must rise.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
So I'm going to be running a GURPS game set in feudal Japan, and my party is a collection of people who all caused (voluntarily or not) each other's deaths one night in a tea house. Now they're a traveling band of performers who were kept from true death by being transformed into various Yokai.

Now my question is which books would be recommended for this kind of game? I thought Low-Tech would help me, but it's a much more general book than I had hoped for and only helps somewhat. Is GURPS Japan good at all?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Yes, get GURPS Japan. The main draw of the book is that it's a decent primer to history, mythology, and culture, and it does a good job of explaining it in ways that could affect a game. The stats are outdated in terms of numbers but for the most part they refer to traits that still exist or are close enough to figure out.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

For stats Low Tech is probably all you need, but yeah, GURPS Japan makes for a good setting reference.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm running a Fallout GURPS mini-campaign and I've recently implemented the mass combat rules - you can read the details of the campaign so far here http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,1617.0.html

I'm thinking of getting the City and social engineering PDFs from e23 but I don't want to add too much complexity to the game. Does anyone have any experience with those supplements? How useful would they be for a 4X style RPG? None of the players are super familiar with GURPS so I dread making the game too difficult for them to understand.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
The City rules are fairly slight - it is a tiny supplement which mostly contains codified, quantitative rules of Stuff You're Probably Already Doing. Stuff like size, aesthetics are included. It's worth picking up - I often use the template in other games.

It is also very good at linking in with Mass Combat, which may sway you more.

The Social Engineering supplement I can't really say much about but it does look terrifyingly complex, even for GURPS.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

So... I think I've found a glitch in the rules. I haven't seen it pointed out elsewhere.

It relates to a use of "Costs Fatigue" described on Powers p. 101. You can make "chargeable" abilities which essentially function at a proportionate cost to the FP spent.

Corrosion Attack 1d (Costs Fatigue 1, -5%; Variable, +5%) [10]

Okay, so that's fine. But let's say we want to make it chargeable...

Corrosion Attack 5d (Costs Fatigue 3 [Max 5, 1/die], -15%; Variable, +5%) [45]

Also fine. But's let's crank it up!

Corrosion Attack 14d (Costs Fatigue 7 [Max 14, 1/die], -35%; Variable, +5%) [98]
Corrosion Attack 15d (Costs Fatigue 8 [Max 15, 1/die], -40%; Variable, +5%) [98]

You can now see where this is going. It gets worse.

Corrosion Attack 16d (Costs Fatigue 8 [Max 16, 1/die], -40%; Variable, +5%) [104]
Corrosion Attack 17d (Costs Fatigue 9 [Max 17, 1/die], -45%; Variable, +5%) [102]
Corrosion Attack 33d (Costs Fatigue 17 [Max 33, 1/die], -85%; Variable, +5%) [66]

which is cheaper than:

Corrosion Attack 8d (Costs Fatigue 4 [Max 8, 1/die], -20%; Variable, +5%) [68]

:suicide:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

It's been noticed, but a spreadsheet for an alternative isn't the best possible solution. I'd be inclined to just houserule that Costs Fatigue represents the cost per die for a Variable trait like it represents the cost per second for a trait which happens over a period of time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm running a Fallout GURPS mini-campaign and I've recently implemented the mass combat rules - you can read the details of the campaign so far here http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,1617.0.html

I'm thinking of getting the City and social engineering PDFs from e23 but I don't want to add too much complexity to the game. Does anyone have any experience with those supplements? How useful would they be for a 4X style RPG? None of the players are super familiar with GURPS so I dread making the game too difficult for them to understand.

The social engineering book is more about detailed ways to use the existing rules for social mechanics than it is about adding on new systems from what I remember. More stuff like alternate rank and status charts for you to use if you want, and more exploration of what being status 2 vs 3 would mean when you're trying to use that status to influence people. I could see it being pretty useful in a 4x game if you wanted to model different societal structures and have them come into conflict diplomatically.

It also has a really cool section on political power struggles, on of my favorite things to come out of a gurps supplement.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Elendil004 posted:

I think the answer you are looking for is within.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I usually play rear end in a top hat rogues or rear end in a top hat wizard type characters in most RPGs I play, and I thought I'd mix things up in my roommate's upcoming GURPS campaign. I've never touched the system, and I know very little about it apart from the fact that it's modular as all hell, but I've always wanted to play a character that's absurdly strong and droolingly stupid. As low an intelligence I can take without forgetting to breathe. Would this be at all possible, or will it result in me getting immediately decimated by mental attacks [It's an modern-supernatural setting]?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Crooked Warden posted:

I usually play rear end in a top hat rogues or rear end in a top hat wizard type characters in most RPGs I play, and I thought I'd mix things up in my roommate's upcoming GURPS campaign. I've never touched the system, and I know very little about it apart from the fact that it's modular as all hell, but I've always wanted to play a character that's absurdly strong and droolingly stupid. As low an intelligence I can take without forgetting to breathe. Would this be at all possible, or will it result in me getting immediately decimated by mental attacks [It's an modern-supernatural setting]?

IQ 6 is the lowest you can go while still being self-aware. The base score of Per and Will are both equal to IQ, meaning that if you don't buy them up you will have difficulty noticing things going on around you or resisting mental attacks or attempts to influence you.

Luckily you get 20 points for every point of IQ you drop for a total of 80, and it costs only 5 per level of Will or Per you want to buy so if you buy them both back up to the default of 10 you still have 40 points kicking around. However GMs can (if they want, everything in GURPS is optional) count negative characteristics towards the disadvantage limit, meaning you might not even be allowed to buy it that low.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

The disadvantage limit will cap how effectively stupid you can be without it being redundant. Buy Will (and maybe Per, both for 5/level) to offset the IQ drop.

If it is 150/-75, which is "average", IQ 7 [-60] + 5 quirks [-5] + Will 10 [15] will essentially give you 200 points to work with. You can then get ST 20 [100] or Gigantism [0] + ST 21 (Size -10%) [99].

That's 100 points left to do what you want with.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The Crooked Warden posted:

There are a few ways of doing that. The most obvious one is simply dropping IQ, however if you want something a bit more on the roleplaying end, there are some disadvantage traits that might be fun for you, stuff like absentminded or hidebound or clueless.

Take a look at advantages and disadvantages, there is a lot of fun stuff in there!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CCKeane posted:

There are a few ways of doing that. The most obvious one is simply dropping IQ, however if you want something a bit more on the roleplaying end, there are some disadvantage traits that might be fun for you, stuff like absentminded or hidebound or clueless.

Take a look at advantages and disadvantages, there is a lot of fun stuff in there!

Yeah that's probably a better idea, you can play someone who stil lhas average intelligence who still manages to be completely boneheaded and impenetrable to reason if you take the right disadvantages.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Many thanks for the suggestions. Now to smooth talk the GM into letting me go deep on disadvantages.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've taken a look at the GURPS lite book and I'm not understanding skills too well, and apparently I'm the only person as googling hasn't given me any answers. I'm confused on how skill buying works. The table says "attribute - x", does that mean the defaults of the skill? For example I'm making an archer, the bows default is DX-5. So does that mean on the table I'm buying things from -5, and then go up from there?

And if so, what is the - on the table? Are those free skills? Do I spend a single point on them? So in the case of bows, I'd be spending 1/get free from -5 to -2, spend 1 for -1 then spend 2 to get to 0?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If you don't have a skill at all, you can use it as the default listed as part of the skill's description. For example, if you have DX 10 and you try to use a shield without having the Shield skill, you use it at DX-4 = 6 as per its description. The defaults for skills are wildly different depending on the skill, they don't correspond to a neat table, so if you ever want to use one without training look up the skill itself and read it.

If you want to train a skill, you need to spend points. The Skill Cost Table at the start of the Skill section under the Buying Skills heading says what you get when you spend points. You have to spend a minimum of 1 point. Shield is a DX/E skill. E stands for easy, so according to the table when you spend 1 point on an Easy skill you learn it at Attribute+0. The attribute for Shield is DX, so you learn it at DX+0 = 10. If you spend 2 points you get it at DX+1 = 11. And so on (Note that the cost progression is 1-2-4-8-12-...+4 per extra level).

Edit: Regarding buying a skill from default, there actually are rules for doing so, but those are not found in Lite and you really shouldn't worry about them.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 13, 2013

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010
"Attribute - x" is the default you're given if you want to use a skill, but have no training in it.
Say you have about 12 in DX, and no skills with the bow; you will then check the default the skill gives you: in this case -5. Your goal is then to roll under DX-5, which is 12-5, so 7. It's hard to actually hit something without training, but it's possible. As it happens, bow is rated "DX/Average", which means a single point into it will boost your goal up to a whooping DX-1 (12-1 = 11, much easier to actually hit something, now). Note that not all skills give you a default.

If you're unsure about how many points to put into a skill, check out the Skill Cost Table, and look at the column with the matching difficulty. The Lite book should have it, I think.

edit: durn.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If I'm reading it right then, lets say there is a hard skill that is "Attribute -5". I put a single point into it, it then jumps to "Attribute - 2"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Leal posted:

If I'm reading it right then, lets say there is a hard skill that is "Attribute -5". I put a single point into it, it then jumps to "Attribute - 2"?

The default has nothing to do with anything once you buy a skill. You get it at the listed value in the Buying Skills table.

Edit: Wait, I see what you're saying there. Yes, you're right, but forget about the default once you start buying skills or you might confuse yourself.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 13, 2013

• Locked thread